Comment registration is now open! Update: Closed

posted at 9:01 am on April 17, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Update: We experienced a failure in our auto-email system this morning, so we are closing down open registration today. We will, however, hold another open registration a week from today on April 24th, so stay tuned. Please accept our apologies for the problem. Those of you who did register today will have your new accounts completed manually by our overwhelmed Townhall hero that got stuck with the job today (sorry, Sarah!)

Update: You can also try to have your password sent again by using this link, which may be quicker to get your account functional.

===

As of now, the books are open at Hot Air!  Those who want to add their voices to our comment sections can now register to join our community.  We’ll keep it open until 4 pm ET today.  First read our Terms of Service, and if you agree, register through this link and follow the steps.

Here are a few things to keep in mind.  When you register, we will e-mail you a password.  It may take a while (anywhere from a couple of minutes to an hour or so, depending on the traffic this open registration creates) to get your e-mail, but it will come to you from “mail-at-hotair-dot-com.”  Please check your spam and junk folders if you do not get the e-mail in a reasonable time, as it is almost certainly there if not in your inbox.  At that point, you can comment, but we have to approve your first comment from moderation before you can post any others. That will take us some time to do, so don’t start shooting us e-mails about how your comment didn’t appear.

If you do not see the message, please e-mail us at “tips-at-hotair-dot-com” from the e-mail account you used to register so we can find your account, and we’ll try resending you the password. Please do not ping us on Twitter, as we can’t help you from that platform.

Also, please note that  if you have been banned before, you will not be approved for commenting now.  We are not going to re-litigate prior violations.  Don’t bother writing e-mails detailing how much you’ve changed in the intervening time.  We are focusing on adding fresh voices today, and don’t have the time to waste arguing over long-settled complaints, nor the inclination to do so.

One final note, to both newbies and veterans: the best way to prevent trolls from disrupting threads is to ignore them. Do not get into name-calling exchanges, because that’s exactly what they want to happen – to make the entire thread about them rather than the topic, and to get you in position to get banned as well. Do not take the bait. If you see a problem, drop us a note on the tips line, but please be sure it’s trolling and not just reasonable disagreement or tit-for-tat ad hominems.

Here are a few other points from earlier open registration days:

I’ve registered but not yet logged in.  Can I do so now?

Yes.  Everyone who had not yet logged in should have received a password reset mail that will allow them to log into the system and comment on our site.  If you have not received it, please check your spam folder, as many of those who didn’t see the e-mail ended up finding it there; it came from “mail-at-hotair-dot-com”.  However, if you still don’t see it, you can just click on this link to generate a new reset e-mail.  Don’t do this if you’ve already successfully logged into the system.

Why is your registration policy so restrictive?  Why not just have open enrollment all of the time?

While we have a big disclaimer on our comment threads, we do like to maintain some decorum there.  The only people available to police the comment sections are myself, Erika,, MK, and Allahpundit, which we have to do while still doing all of the writing that takes place at Hot Air.  If we had open registration all of the time, we’d have a lot less time to write, or we’d have to just let the comments sections go wild with trolling and other issues.

Why did you only have registration open during business hours?  Some of us aren’t able to use the Internet at that time for various reasons.

Well, if the problems we experienced on earlier attempts didn’t convince you of the wisdom of doing this when support staff was available, nothing will. It’s handled that way to have a maximum of manpower on duty when it’s most needed for this work.

What if I have read Hot Air every day for years and yet somehow missed the open registration window that was active for seven hours, er … again?

We plan on having another one in the near future.

I changed my mind about my user name and now want to go by “Hot Gas.”

Stand in line; we get this request a lot, and even we thought about changing our name.  Seriously, though, the username is the key field in the database and cannot be edited.  If you made a typo when entering it, we can’t change it now.

Welcome to Hot Air, and we look forward to your comments!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

How’s your sister?

If you’ve issued any late updates, I missed them.

listens2glenn on April 17, 2014 at 5:47 PM

She is slowly healing, . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . But I don’t think a mother will ever completely heal from burying one of her children, esp a firstborn and only son.

I know my mother never did…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I believe that speaks for most of us, with children.

I know it speaks for myself, anyway.

I’m late in replying, ’cause I was needed at a “Maundy Thursday” evening service.

listens2glenn on April 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Happy to join after years of lurking!

Dr. Zaius MD on April 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

listens2glenn on April 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

How were you ‘needed’ at a Maundy Thursday service? And what denomination are you? I am Missouri Synod Lutheran, and I attended a morning service, first time ever during holy week…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I see none of the noobs have ventured into the gulch yet…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

ive done it myself.
tis a fine line between
proving your a real person and
saying too much..
im learning too..
good idea for the Bmore link..!!

going2mars on April 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I think we all have to some extent, especially when being newbies on blogs/forums. Haven’t seen Bmore for a while.

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM

So do we have an estimate of how many new ppl got through?

lol OC I had pork for dinner tonight too. Thank goodness no cat to steal it though.

CoffeeLover on April 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

CoffeeLover on April 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

More than a dozen but less than two dozen in my estimation, darlin’

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Finally.
It’s good to be here.

Cladinator on April 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Great idea, darlin’
Where is Bmore with his tutorial anyway? Flora Duh had one also…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Well, believe it or not, I saved it.

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Oh good grief, what kind of idiot would use their real name?

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Honestly, I’d be using mine, but Axe says things . . . that would make life . . . inconvenient. :)

Axe on April 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I think Doc had some instructions on the linky thing on QOTD last night. Or at least I think it was QOTD, LOL

I’m researching and building a case against Glenn Beck:-) Seriously. I’m really getting p.o.’d about what he’s been doing. He’s getting to sound too much like Reid imo.

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Well, believe it or not, I saved it.

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Wow. That is awesome…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I remember going to see him speak when I was at Cal,

PaperGirl on April 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Hey, fellow alum.

MichaelGabriel on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Oh good grief, what kind of idiot would use their real name?

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Axe on April 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

You both are too funny:-)

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

He’s getting to sound too much like Reid imo.

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

He’s kinda’ gone round the bend, hasn’t he?

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

He’s getting to sound too much like Reid imo.

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

He’s kinda’ gone round the bend, hasn’t he?

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

From what I’ve found so far is that he used the EX-Sheriff in an article on his Blaze website to smear the Patriots that stood with Mr. Bundy. This has in turn caused youtube videos and other sites to condemn them and Mr. Bundy. That is despicable. Too many people believe this slander, not understanding that Beck is using it to turn people to Beck’s way of thinking. Grrrr I don’t like liars and
smears of those that don’t deserve it. Gets my dander up, LOL

I shut Beck’s radio program off and it will be kept off.

bluefox on April 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I don’t blame you bluefox. I thought he was going crackers when he left FNC, and I quit listening to his radio show a few years back…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Oh good grief, what kind of idiot would use their real name?

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Mrs HawkDriver. Oh wait that’s not her real name.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Welcome Cladinator…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Finally.
It’s good to be here.

Cladinator on April 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Welcome aboard. Did anyone tell you about the hazing rituals for noobs?

Many don’t survive and get washed out sea.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Did Ratso sign up? lol.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Not in my house or on my computer, sparky…

OmahaConservative on April 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Dagnabbit! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

John the Libertarian on April 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM

MichaelGabriel on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Hello fellow alum!!!

PaperGirl on April 17, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Testing to see if it works.

exsubnuke2 on April 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Uhm, Hi. is there where I make a fool of myself trying to sound pithy or sumpin?

DemetriusPhalerum on April 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Ooh. Late. Whew.

DemetriusPhalerum on April 18, 2014 at 12:03 AM

New meat.

Kenosha Kid on April 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

DemetriusPhalerum on April 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Welcome aboard…

OmahaConservative on April 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I just want to say how great it is to be here and to have Obama as my president.

I Have No Political Leanings Whatsoever on April 18, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Dagnabbit! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

John the Libertarian on April 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM

How about YOU get off of mine, Mr. Libertarian?

I Have No Political Leanings Whatsoever on April 18, 2014 at 1:46 AM

You? You can stay on it.

GetOffOfMyLiberalLawn on April 18, 2014 at 4:26 AM

New here. Just checking in for the first time. Where’s the bar?

BHJets on April 18, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I finally made it! Another long time reader 1st time poster.

son of a preacher man on April 18, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Yay, I made it in (to the delight of many, and no doubt to the chagrin of many more, once some of my more contrarian and curmudgeon views come into view)!

Me: Longtime lurker/dweller here, and admirer of the more rowdy and grizzled posters (you know who y’all are!)

I take my handle’s inspiration from the user Bitter Clinger, but as far as my inspiration for joining in the first place, it’s all about the one who takes delight in the misfortune of others, the one who is all about you and yours and all who brung ‘em, the one who condemns all the scumhags of the land to Hades, the one who is too lazy to write out “could be” and “should be,” like a boss, whose comments are passed around like trading cards in my corner of the universe.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and kudos to the creative new screennames!

-BD

Basement Dweller on April 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

You? You can stay on it.

GetOffOfMyLiberalLawn on April 18, 2014 at 4:26 AM

I’m not a liberal. I’m an independent that always votes Democrat.

I Have No Political Leanings Whatsoever on April 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I’m not a liberal. I’m an independent that always votes Democrat.

I Have No Political Leanings Whatsoever on April 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM

You to?
I’m not a heterosexual. I’m a man that always has sex with women!

Dude, you are my long lost brother or something. Chuckle.

HonestLib on April 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I’m not a liberal. I’m an independent that always votes Democrat.

I Have No Political Leanings Whatsoever on April 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM

With your honesty and independence, you pass the acceptability test. Our Lord and Savior Barack Obama appreciates your support.

GetOffOfMyLiberalLawn on April 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Wow, my first post!!!

Would you believe I was waiting over a year for this?

Patience pays off once again.

Klein-Bottle on April 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I hope Cherita Chen got her some more socks.

Murphy9 on April 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM