Why not Mike Pence in 2016?

posted at 5:21 pm on April 16, 2014 by Allahpundit

If you’re wondering why this otherwise prosaic Bloomberg piece about Pence’s national future begins with a mention of the Koch brothers, it’s probably because the guy who wrote it worked for Paul Sarbanes and, briefly, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz before resuming his career as an impartial reporter.

But never mind that. Is Pence the dark horse?

“I have no doubt that he would make a great president,” said Steven Chancellor, the chief executive officer of Evansville, Indiana-based American Patriot Group, the parent of a company that makes ready-to-eat rations for the Pentagon. “He certainly distinguished himself in the House” and is “off to a great start as governor.”…

He spoke at the Washington-based Club for Growth’s annual conference in Florida in February and, during a trade visit to Europe this week, he is expected to criticize President Barack Obama for failing to counter the annexation of Crimea by Russian President Vladimir Putin. Five years ago, Pence scolded Obama for revising President George W. Bush’s missile defense plan in Eastern Europe because Russia opposed it…

Pence has won praise from small-government conservatives for taking action in Indiana to back away from Common Core education standards supported by another potential Republican candidate, Florida’s Bush. The Washington-based Heritage Foundation, in a Facebook posting, applauded him for rejecting Common Core.

His allies say Pence has developed bonds with the major constituencies within the Republican Party — the small-government crowd, anti-abortion rights groups, and defense hawks — without alienating business-oriented voters.

He’s well-known to grassroots righties as a full-spectrum conservative — socially, fiscally, and hawkish on defense. I remember commenters pleading with him in both 2008 and 2012 to jump in and spare them the agony of another squishy nominee. That would have been tough at the time, when he was known only for being a member of the House; famously, no congressman’s won the White House since Garfield in the 19th century. Now, though, he’s got a year of experience as governor of a midwestern swing state and will have two more years under his belt by the time Iowa votes in 2016. In fact, I believe he’s the only potential candidate in the GOP field who’s served as both the chief executive of a state and a federal legislator. He knows his way around in a way that none of his rivals do.

What’s his niche in the field if he decides to run, though? He might be too conservative for centrists who are more comfortable with Jeb or Christie, especially on immigration. He might be too hawkish and right-wing on social issues for libertarians who like Paul. And he might be too low-key for tea partiers who prefer Cruz. There’s a chance, I think, that he and Jindal would end up in the same box, as guys who are respected on all sides but who fail to excite any single constituency to the degree needed to build a movement. I see him as a potential compromise candidate if the party ends up deadlocked between the centrist champion and the tea-party champion — but then, I also see Scott Walker in the same role. Who wins if Walker and Pence end up competing to be white knight/dark horse that rescues the GOP from a bitter fight between Jeb and Rand at the eleventh hour? My hunch is that Walker does because he won the battle of Armageddon in Wisconsin, but that depends on how important immigration is in the primaries. I think Pence is more of a hawk than Walker is; he’s been a reliable borders-first guy whereas Walker is … more complicated. If Walker ends up struggling because of immigration, maybe Pence is the answer. They may be the only two guys with a legit shot to win who can play with both the establishment and the base.

Is the post-Paul GOP ready to nominate a guy, though, who not only supported invading Iraq but cast a vote in Congress to do so? Hillary did too, of course, but Hillary will back far, far away from that vote in the general election. Will Pence?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m in!

crrr6 on April 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM

“Who?” – said most GOP voters.

Bigbullets on April 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Oh, I`m sure they`ll be some “unforgiveable sin” he`s committed that`ll turn 99% of the people here against him.

ThePrez on April 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

No more $200 haircut guys!

Lanceman on April 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM

He has all the charisma of a wet sponge. This is a non-starter.

vityas on April 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I’d vote for him in a heartbeat. If he gets in, I’d take him over Cruz based on executive experience. I would even take him over Jindal.

Bitter Clinger on April 16, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I like Mike!

scalleywag on April 16, 2014 at 5:26 PM

He is pretty dull, but I really like him…

OmahaConservative on April 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Please let this happen. Pence is pretty much my dream candidate. He is better on the issues than absolutely anyone else running except maybe Cruz, and he’s got that all important executive experience. A Mike Pence presidency would be a dream come true.

“Who?” – said most GOP voters.

Bigbullets on April 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Don’t trample on my dream! :-)

Doomberg on April 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM

The Republicans should nominate a Koch brothers ticket in ’16.
One for President and the other for Veep.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM

No problems here. None whatsoever. Pence would be a great choice.

aquaviva on April 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Why not Mike Pence in 2016?

Exactly!

If he gets in he’s my guy.

jaime on April 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Wow. I haven’t seen him in about 4-5 years…

thinkingthought on April 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM

My #1 pick. Always has been.

butch on April 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Throwing this out there: “Pence/Jindal” or “Pence/Haley.”

ThePrez on April 16, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I’ve long been a Pence supporter and thought that it was careless of him not to run in ’08.

HiJack on April 16, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I’m waiting to see what Karl Rove says….

d1carter on April 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Why not Mike Pence in 2016?

Well why the hell not? Especially when you’ve got other pundits calling Marco Rubio the GOP’s last best hope at ever winning the Presidency again.

But when the suggestion comes from a liberal outlet like Bloomberg, my RINO senses are raised. Not damning the idea but not ready to jump onto it either.

My dream ticket in 2016 remains Cruz/West.

Happy Nomad on April 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM

“Who?” – said most GOP voters.

Bigbullets on April 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Which is exactly what we need.

HiJack on April 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I’m open and listening.

portlandon on April 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM

If we walks up and kicks Chris Christie in the balls, then elbows Jeb Bush in the face, he’s got my vote.

portlandon on April 16, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I’m open to hearing more–especially his stance on immigration reform. Does anyone here know where he stands on that??

KickandSwimMom on April 16, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I think we need a clean slate. 2016 is the one to win and we need a strong candidate, Pence could be that. No more reruns and no one with baggage.

scalleywag on April 16, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Absolutely!

KCB on April 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Also Bobby Jindal.

acasilaco on April 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Pence is another cheap labor corporatist who had his own amnesty bill back in 2006.

Basically his plan would have just reclassified illegals who are already here as “guest workers” with a 6-year visa.

Jon0815 on April 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Didn’t his wife once stop him from running?

I would live to see him enter the fray – he’s a good man.

jake-the-goose on April 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Why not Mike Pence in 2016?

Because we’re known as The Party Of Old White Men.

Rail against identity politics all you want, but Obama was elected twice largely because of his skin color.

Also Bobby Jindal.

acasilaco on April 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM

If we run Jindal, he gets an added 10 or 15% of the moderate vote just for being non-white.

itsnotaboutme on April 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Oh, another old white guy. Great. That’ll show em

ctiberius on April 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I don’t know why anybody would think Pence is especially hawkish on immigration. Go back and read his history on this.

Mark1971 on April 16, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Hmmmm,…………..Pence/Palin/2016

Pence and The Revolution: Five reasons he might be the 2016 dark horse to watch
11:49 PM 09/10/2013
********************

He’s more charismatic than Scott Walker, more conservative than Chris Christie and, unlike so many of the top-tier 2016 Republicans, he has actually run a state.

So why isn’t Indiana Gov. Mike Pence generating the kind of buzz worthy of a top-tier candidate?

Probably because while his opponents have been show horses, he’s been a work horse. And that makes him a dark horse.

Here are five reasons why we should take Pence’s chances very seriously:
========================================================================

3. He’s is widely respected as a full-spectrum conservative -

Pence has all the social conservative bona fides of a Mike Huckabee, but unlike Huckabee, he’s also beloved by fiscal conservatives. When all the buzz was about Sarah Palin a couple years ago, Chris Chocola, president of the powerful fiscally conservative Club for Growth (and a former Indiana congressman), told me that Pence’s “conservative credentials are really unquestionable”

and that he “appeals to every group that Palin appeals to — and probably a little more.”

canopfor on April 16, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I would absolutely support Pence over Cruz because he has governing experience. This assumes of course he would not endorse so-called immigration reform.

Wigglesworth on April 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Mike Pence is no different than Obama.

Might_Is_Right on February 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Chuck Schick on April 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM

He has all the charisma of a wet sponge. This is a non-starter.

vityas on April 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Sad that this is such a requirement. Imagine what would have happened to Coolidge if he was running today…

voss63 on April 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM

@jake goose:

that was mitch daniels i believe, because of his wife’s interesting past.

uatu1878 on April 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM

The post-Paul GOP ?

What ? Oh, good to see that the entire run of Rand Paul’s political career and Presidential aspirations is now declared officially “OVER”.

Whatever. The more accurate term to describe, I think, is “post-GOP America” based on this kind of idiocy.

deadrody on April 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Pence would be great. I’m hoping America finally wakes up and cares about a candidate with actual accomplishments to point to in 2016.

Jocelyn on April 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Mike Pence’s Ratings and Endorsements
**************************************

============================================================

Mike Pence’s Voting Records
***************************

canopfor on April 16, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Oh, another old white guy. Great. That’ll show em

ctiberius on April 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Yup.

Jindal/Pence would be great, but I think Pence/Jindal would be seen as a ‘token non-white’.

Do we want to rail against identity politics, or do we want to win?

itsnotaboutme on April 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM

beats Bush, Christie and several others that will pop up. I’d like to keep Cruz in the senate a while longer if a good candidate emerges for Pres. Cruz is lighting up the establishment and that can only help that currently useless chamber.

DanMan on April 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Why not a dachshund in 2016? It would have the same chance of achieving anything good in the D.C. cesspool.

Splashman on April 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM

He has all the charisma of a wet sponge. This is a non-starter.

Oh, another old white guy. Great. That’ll show em

On the contrary, I think Mike Pence is great. I think he is handsome and didn’t he make a splash with a speech at CPAC a year or 2 ago? Also, he may be white but he certainly is not old, he’ll only be 56 in 2016, 13 years younger than that old bag cankles.

BeachBum on April 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Based on the last election, we need to know what he looks like with his shirt off.

faraway on April 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM

All over it

Franklin100 on April 16, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Good guy, good credentials, just not enough personality to electrify the independents.

Tater Salad on April 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Jon0815 on April 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Somebody might say “well, Pence is reformed now.” No, and further, one thing about amnesty backers, like McCain (and it turns out Romney who ~ 2006 had also been pro-amnesty and, surprise surprise, is now for amnesty), for political reasons one time amnesty squishes may temporarily switch against amnesty, but they will like clockwork switch back to favoring amnesty when the opportunity to pass a bill presents itself!

So, no amnesty shills!

anotherJoe on April 16, 2014 at 6:09 PM

electrify the independents.

Tater Salad on April 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Now there’s a thought

faraway on April 16, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Didn’t his wife once stop him from running?

I would live to see him enter the fray – he’s a good man.

jake-the-goose on April 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

You’re thinking of Mitch Daniels, who preceded him as Indiana Gov. & is now president of Purdue University.

I think this is why Pence chose to run for gov., stepping out of Congress. He was floated in ’12, but it’s a big leap from there to the White House. I think he needed to check off the “executive experience” box, and I’m not aware of any huge mistakes he’s made so far in leading the state. I’d strongly consider supporting him.

We could do worse (and probably will).

cs89 on April 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I’d be thrilled to have him as Pres but it’s never gonna happen

He struggled to win in Indiana and isn’t even very well liked there

Sorry but exec experience means nothing to low info morons.

It’s all about electability at this point, plain and simple

Low profile but highly competent govs like Jindal, Pence, Walker, etc have almost no chance at winning a national election any more

If we have a prayer of winning in 2016, it will only be a with a nationally known figure like Cruz, Rand, or Rubio. Christie could have fit the bill but he’s done

I’m not talking about qualifications or personal preference, just the realities of national elections and the moronic, reality TV “Idiocracy” we live in now

Cruz/Rand 2016

thurman on April 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

If he lets even one illegal alien into the country, he is a commie pinko!!!11! — says the Hot Air horde.

John the Libertarian on April 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM

ThePrez on April 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

The snow-white purity of their political souls comes first, of course!

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Ah – this explains the complete, 180 degree turn by Jindal on Common Core. Something him and Pence will both live to regret.

rock the casbah on April 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Gray-haired white guy, that’s why. That and the charisma of an insurance convention.

Grammar Nazi on April 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Less is more. Simply say that he was a community organizer, and that’s all he needs to win.

The people don’t want to elect those who are qualified any longer. Simply promise them free stuff by gouging the rich, and they will beat a path to your door.

No one beats Santa Claus.

rightside on April 16, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Is it just me or does Mike Pence look like you could put him in the Ukraine army as a general and he would NOT look out of place?

Hell, he looks like something from the Joint Chiefs of Staff or something.

Or, how about a tough dude from “24″?

Cameo in “The Walking Dead”?

The possibilities are endless, but oh well….we’ll take him for President too if that is what he does.

KirknBurker on April 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I had Pence and Jindal for my 2012 races..unfort, they preferred the pasture….

hillsoftx on April 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Mike Huckabee is my number one, but I could live with Pence.

Stoic Patriot on April 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Come on, the guy gave a one-time flippant answer to a reporter who was trying to get a response and got it. Asked if he could “envision a world where with the right penalties and waiting periods and meet the requirements where those people could get citizenship,” Walker said “Sure.”

Isn’t it a penalty to be forced to wait in line for a period to meet requirements? He didn’t at the time specifically say “exit first,” but he has since said he wants to fix the system of legal immigration, which doesn’t sound so far from Ann Coulter’s position.

I was born in Indiana (as were my father and his father — and his father and his father), and I do like Mike Pence. I just wish he had more of a track record.

Lolo on April 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Grammar Nazi on April 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Maybe this country is ready for an adult.

Charisma hasn’t gotten us very far lately now has it?

jmtham156 on April 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM

portlandon on April 16, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Yes. Is he willing to take it to the dhimmicRATs?

davidk on April 16, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Saying Pence is a bad choice because “old white guy” sounds trollish if you ask me.

I could get behind a Pence presidential run. I would prefer Cruz first, but I haven’t seen my first choice nominated in a LONG time.

jazzuscounty on April 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Jim DeMint.

Key West Reader on April 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Mike Huckabee is my number one, but I could live with Pence.

Stoic Patriot on April 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Heh…

OmahaConservative on April 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Gov. Kasich of Ohio as well.

Athanasius on April 16, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Lolo on April 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I’m still trying to figure out how much of Indiana’s current success is due directly to Pence as opposed to simply Pence keeping Mitch’s policies in place.

But, hey, Pence is my governor and if he ends up the nominee he’s got my vote.

JimLennon on April 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM

He struggled to win in Indiana and isn’t even very well liked there

thurman on April 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I think Pence was hurt by Richard “Howling Mad” Mourdock last time. Also, Gregg didn’t exactly run as a hard Leftist. A Democrat who tries to play nice and talks a “sensible” moderate game can often win in Indiana (see Evan Bayh, Joe Donnelly, etc.)

Still, there are far too many voters in Indiana whose political thought process goes like this: “Yeah, I’m pro-gun, anti-abortion, anti-gay-marriage, pro-growth, pro-tax-cut, anti-enviro-whacko, anti-amnesty, and pro-defense, but, by golly, I’m a Workin’ Man, so I’d better vote for the Democrats.”

JimLennon on April 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Ssshhhhhhhh! I don’t want them coming after him, he is a great choice for President, because he is a governor.

Fleuries on April 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Well he’s a governor now so he’s much better positioned to run for national office then when he was a mere congressman.

Texas Zombie on April 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You can’t expect any Ron Paul via Rand Paul advocates to say anything nice about any other candidates, so they will put Pense down, and say uncharitable things about his character…because they don’t have any.

Fleuries on April 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM

But in the battle for the nomination how is he going to best Scott Walker, Rick Perry, and Bobby Jindal who are all much more accomplished governors.

Texas Zombie on April 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I’m waiting to see what Karl Rove says….

d1carter on April 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Hey that’s a good idea. If Butterball says he can’t stand Pence, we will know for sure he must be worth serious consideration.

cableguy615 on April 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM

itsnotaboutme on April 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Running a non-white candidate will not help us. When have we ever gotten credit from the liberals for running a non-white candidate? We’re not going to win the “moderate” – meaning liberal – vote by putting up non-white candidates, with amnesty, or any of these other cheap electoral gimmicks. Conservatives to stop playing the role of Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. I’m all for a non-white candidates when they are the best person for the job, but Pence leaves Jindal behind in the dust.

I’d be thrilled to have him as Pres but it’s never gonna happen

He struggled to win in Indiana and isn’t even very well liked there

False. He has an approval rating in the 60s. http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/01/13/gov-mike-pences-first-year-good-collaboration-slow-start/4463059/

Sorry but exec experience means nothing to low info morons.

It’s all about electability at this point, plain and simple

I’m tired of being told who is “electable.” This was what Romney ran on and he lost.

Walker is not “low profile.” Liberals hate him and made him a national name when he went to war with the unions.

thurman on April 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Get your facts straight before posting this kind of stuff.

Doomberg on April 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Pence is perfect. Did he have his own immigration bill? Yes, the key to which was a touch back but also securing the border. I’m fine with that as there will be no candidate running who won’t be squishy on immigration to some extent. Pence is at least the kind of guy who will hold firm on securing the border first. Other then that the guy is gold on Conservative issues. He’s smart, savvy and and excellent debater. He also has the right hair. What I like best is he once had a career in radio. He can handle the press and will never get caught out in an interview or debate.

Rocks on April 16, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Why not Mike Pence in 2016?

He is my number one pick. Jindal/Walker tied for second.

BigGator5 on April 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I’d be all in on Pence. Some people think he’s too dull, but he’s really not. He actually probably has the best sense of humor of any of the candidates being mentioned, and he actually gives a really good speech. He also comes off as intelligent and likable. He’d be a great candidate.

GOPRanknFile on April 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM

He is my number one pick. Jindal/Walker tied for second.

BigGator5 on April 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM

That’s my list as well: Pence, Jindal, Walker

GOPRanknFile on April 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM

itsnotaboutme on April 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Nowhere near that much. We might gain a percent or two from nominating a non-white, but we will also lose votes because Jindal has terrible presence and zero charisma.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Oh goody, another gray-haired Republican. Love Pence, but seriously. Perception is everything.

SueZeeQ on April 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM

But, hey, Pence is my governor and if he ends up the nominee he’s got my vote.

JimLennon on April 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Right. I’m thinking the latter has more weight, for the time being at least. That’s what I meant by track record.

I like governors. (My strike against Walker is more his age than anything else.) With governors, you can really make a useful judgement call.

But regardless of the eventual Republican nominee, can’t we all get behind voting against a Democrat? I’m tired of hearing about so-and-so being unworthy of a general election vote. The primary process is supposed to work, and if it doesn’t, well, the general sure will — for the winning side.

Lolo on April 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I prefer a conservative governor. And Pence fits the bill. I’d vote for him.

Jack_Burton on April 16, 2014 at 7:37 PM

SueZeeQ on April 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Sorry, but I think shallowness of thought is undesirable, regardless of who its being used for or against.

Lolo on April 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Pence-Martinez

Pence-Rubio

Pence-ayotte

We don’t need Haley from sc

Walker is my first choice, but pence would be superb. Deliberate but plenty conservative.

matthew8787 on April 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I would take Pence over Paul. At least Pence can state his foreign policy without ambiguity

Brock Robamney on April 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Huckabee is a guaranteed loser to Hillary, as is Santorum, people need to shed them like a winter coat.

matthew8787 on April 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Lolo on April 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Not shallow, just realistic. Do I really need to link in all of the jokes made about the old, out of touch, grumpy, gray-haired GOP? Seriously. Again, perception is everything. And if you cannot wrap your brain around that, you are the shallow one. People like Scott Walker are the future of the country–youthful, conservative, and willing to take on the Left–and win. Walker is also the Left’s worst nightmare. He has proven that conservatism works–which is the dirty little secret the Left cannot let get out. They fear him, along with Cruz, Paul.

SueZeeQ on April 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Why not Mike Pence in 2016?

Better Headline: Pence on Fire!

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM

SueZeeQ on April 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Pence isn’t grey haired, it’s white. One of the most popular people on the left, Anderson Cooper is the same. No one knocks him for being old. Pence is 54 right now and 12 years younger than Hilary. There’s no way they make a successful argument he is old and out of touch and Hilary isn’t.

Rocks on April 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I am all for dark horses jumping in and the sooner the better. Let the lsm dizzy themselves with multiple targets.

I’ll throw one out there

Sessions/Carson

seesalrun2 on April 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM

He is my number one pick. Jindal/Walker tied for second.

BigGator5 on April 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM

That’s my list as well: Pence, Jindal, Walker

GOPRanknFile on April 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM

My list is: Perry, Pence, Palin(yeah-it’s really me), Jindal, and Walker.
Perry and Pence were my top 2 in ’12 as well.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM

No, why would he? Hilary will need to differentiate herself from Obama somehow too and it won’t be on domestic issues. With Russia rumbling expect her to go full bore hawk when she runs.

Rocks on April 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM

And I’ll say it again (re 2012) Announce your cabinet. Show America your TEAM. That’s the ticket.

seesalrun2 on April 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Why Mike Pence now? Is it that the establishment see that we will never support Bush or Christie? I do not trust anything that comes from the Daily Caller and the RINO establishment. That does not mean that Pence might be a good candidate, but I am still a Ted Cruz fan.

searcher on April 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Charisma hasn’t gotten us very far lately now has it?

jmtham156 on April 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM

We haven’t really had charisma since Reagan. W had some, I guess and Palin had tons that McCain kept locked in a closet.

Grammar Nazi on April 16, 2014 at 8:13 PM

SueZeeQ on April 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I’ll give you that. It’s what I like about him most too. I just wish he was old enough to have gray hair. I think Article II(5)(I) should be amended to say “at least fifty years of age” and thus reflect the Founder’s intent of restricting the office to someone old (at a time when an American’s life expectancy was about 35 + 14 years).

Lolo on April 16, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I don’t think anyone has any useful notion of electability before the election results are in.

Lolo on April 16, 2014 at 8:17 PM

<blockquote They fear him, along with Cruz, Paul.

SueZeeQ on April 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM

They fear the Palin, too, which is why they keep trying to destroy her. Fortunately, she good-naturedly bounces back, to the endless teeth-gnashing of the left.

My choices remain Palin, Cruz, Walker, Perry, Rand Paul, West, Jindal…I’d have to know more about Pence before I added his name to that list.

theotherone on April 16, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Pence would be a great president. But, he would never win…a white man with white hair….never in 2016.

Redford on April 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

That’s my list as well: Pence, Jindal, Walker

GOPRanknFile on April 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM

My list is: Perry, Pence, Palin(yeah-it’s really me), Jindal, and Walker.
Perry and Pence were my top 2 in ’12 as well.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I guess 3 out of 5 ain’t bad :)

GOPRanknFile on April 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Mike Pence won the governorship by three points.

Mitt Romney won Indiana by twelve points.

I don’t think we want a presidential nominee who performed worse than Romney.

Mister Mets on April 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Mike Pence won the governorship by three points.

Mitt Romney won Indiana by twelve points.

I don’t think we want a presidential nominee who performed worse than Romney.

Mister Mets on April 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I don’t think “we” involves conservatives and anything remotely associated with you.

Murphy9 on April 16, 2014 at 9:26 PM