Video: The most epic “Wheel of Fortune” choke ever

posted at 5:21 pm on April 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, if you missed this over the weekend, make amends. I thought I’d already seen the most epic “Wheel of Fortune” choke ever but now I’m not sure. Is this one worse than this one? They’re different types of chokes. In the earlier one, the contestant simply brain-farted on “MAG_C _AND.” He’d heard of a “magic wand” before, surely, but I think he got stuck mentally on the sound of the second word. He was looking for words that rhyme with “and” and “wand” just didn’t fit the bill. It was a legit screw-up.

This one is trickier. I can’t tell if the guy has no idea who Achilles is or that he knows who he is but doesn’t know how to pronounce his name. (Knowing what a word means but not knowing how it’s pronounced is a surprisingly common problem, right, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz?) When he chooses “C” for his final letter, it’s unclear if he picks it purely to complete the word “mythological” or because he knows it’s missing from “Achilles” too. Ideally you’d give the guy credit so long as he knows the definition of the word, not necessarily the pronunciation, but how do you go about finding that out in a game like this? What’s Sajak supposed to do, pause and ask the kid to describe in his own words who Achilles was?

Anyway.

A million dollars, guys. He had a million dollars riding on this. And as you’ll see if you have the patience to watch the entire clip, this wasn’t his only screw-up. He blew no fewer than three gimmes in the course of a single game. (“Dicespin”?) The “Achilles” miss is tragedy; three misses is comedy. Exit question: Is this worse than the most epic “Jeopardy” choke ever?

Comments

I watched part of this show but missed the million dollar choke. I saw the others, though. Yikes.

22044 on April 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Everyone keeps repeating this million dollars thing…

I think none of you actually watch wheel of fortune. That million dollar prize he picked up isn’t won as soon as the puzzle is solved. All it gets you is a tiny chance, on the final puzzle, to draw the million dollar card (and you still have to solve the puzzle).

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Indiana U. must be so proud.

Bitter Clinger on April 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

America’s Universities: The finest in the world and worth every dollar we throw at them.

Fenris on April 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

So this crap has replaced my beloved WD grumble thread.

Wonderful.

Lanceman on April 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Everyone keeps repeating this million dollars thing…

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Ah, yes, that is correct. I had forgotten. Thank you for the reminder!

22044 on April 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

He did lose the car, though. Call it the world’s fastest man who stole the car?

22044 on April 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Common Core is now suing WOF because the fool tried really really hard.

Bishop on April 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

If I was on national TV I’d forget my name.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:35 PM

22044 on April 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Wasn’t a shot at you, more at AP and the rest of the pundits who have written about this story today =)

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Common Core is now suing WOF because the fool tried really really hard.

Bishop on April 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I approve this comment.

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM

If I was on national TV I’d forget my name.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Yep, cut this poor guy some slack, although we did laugh at his mistakes…

OmahaConservative on April 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Atch-I-Lees

OmahaConservative on April 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

…to axe for the proper pronunciation of a word…is racist!

KOOLAID2 on April 14, 2014 at 5:39 PM

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Yeah, we’re cool. No shot considered received. :)
I saw a comment elsewhere that someone thought he had lost 4 million dollars (since he picked a letter that had 4 hits when he landed on the $1M space) – for my lack of remembering how the game works, I was pretty sure at least that wasn’t true!

22044 on April 14, 2014 at 5:39 PM

While all my classmates learned Greek mythology, the teacher I had decided to spend the year talking about race relations. I saw about a dozen film strips, mostly featuring Sidney Poitier. I probably couldn’t explain who Achilles was, either.

Occams Stubble on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Clearly, the solution was racially biased, with it’s focus on Greek mythology. You can’t get much “dead white male” -centric then a mythology question.

Somebody call Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Pat and Vanna are going to have to “Apologize.”

Dukeboy01 on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I feel for the guy. Yeah, I know how to pronounce Achilles, and so do you; but for God’s sake, all the letters are there. At what point does a pronunciation become unacceptable? If the word was Edinburgh, and he said Edinberg, would Pat have accepted it?

bobs1196 on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

If I was on national TV I’d forget my name.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Yep, cut this poor guy some slack, although we did laugh at his mistakes…

OmahaConservative on April 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Plus, I’m not sure this kid reaches the level of the ‘I have the wine’ lady anyway. I won’t remember this kid a week from now, but I’ll never forget ‘I have the wine’ by Johnny Cash.

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM

bobs1196 on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

He derped twice though, not just once. And really, how has a college student never heard the word ‘Achilles’ — I mean there are options here too, History, Mythology, even ANATOMY. Come on…

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I probably couldn’t explain who Achilles was, either.

Occams Stubble on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

All you need to know is right here.

BobMbx on April 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

There is nothing tricky about it, classics are no longer part of the curriculum at any educational level in public schools, and have been removed from the core courses, if there are anymore, at universities.

Dead white folks wrote them, after all.

F X Muldoon on April 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I’m gonna start calling it an atchiless heel from now on…

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM

He was missled by the spelling.

Er, make that misled.

jaxisaneurophysicist on April 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM

So….. You’re okay with a college student at Indiana University who knows who Achilles is but doesn’t know how to pronounce his name?????

Even as you never hear about athletes suffering from A-Chill-EEs heel?

Happy Nomad on April 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Cut him some slack and ask him something about basketball. He attends IU for Christ’s sake.

balderdash on April 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I bet he could pronounce “corpsman” correctly.

myiq2xu on April 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM

The girls seemingly spun out to lose a turn but this guy kept it up even when he could of pronounced the effin thing. i think the game was rigged for him. He really blew it. Maybe even Pat Sajak to get all those spins. hmmmm There is a Chilli’s right own the street, I’m hungry.

jake49 on April 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM

bobs1196 on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I agree. Yes, we have conventional pronunciations for ancient Greek terms, and yes, most of Greek scholarship has reached a consensus on those pronunciations, but they are still basically educated guesses. WOF should have given the kid a break. He was robbed.

Rational Thought on April 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM

You have to solve the puzzle. The letters are only clues. The object of the game is not to turn over all the letters but, rather, to solve the puzzle, which he was entitled to do without filling in the name at all. Yes, pronouncing the words correctly is required. He didn’t pronounce the name correctly because he didn’t know who it was. In other words, he didn’t solve the puzzle. Simple as that.

Or, we could just have different WOF rules for minorities. Jesse? Al?

IndieDogg on April 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Oh, the poor, poor guy. How could anyone not acutely feel his pain? Look at the guy’s face after the woman correctly pronounces Achilles. He looks like he’s trying hard not to throw up.

I couldn’t watch any further.

Nomennovum on April 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I probably couldn’t explain who Achilles was, either.

Occams Stubble on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

All you need to know is right here.

BobMbx on April 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Or the real thing. Kids don’t know what they’re missing.

Fenris on April 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Nomennovum on April 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I’d probably have the same response if exposed as an affirmative action placement and intellectual fraud.

I would love to see the rat-eared wonder in this situation. He’s so damned stupid he calls the Malvinas the Maldives and says corpse-man.

Happy Nomad on April 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Atch-I-Lees

OmahaConservative on April 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

God bless you!

NavyMustang on April 14, 2014 at 6:20 PM

A man’s tongue is a glib and twisty thing…plenty of words there are, all kinds at its command–with all the room in the world for talk to range and stray.
-Aeneas

faol on April 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM

He’s so damned stupid he calls the Malvinas the Maldives and says corpse-man.

Happy Nomad on April 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM

True, but 0 gets no sympathy from me because he is a poseur who has risen to the top because he is able to fool racists and the guilt-ridden into convincing themselves that he is the smartest guy there ever was. So, instead of sympathy, all I feel is schadenfreude when he blurts out that they speak Austrian in Austria. The mask slips and reveals … nothing underneath. President Cipher.

Nomennovum on April 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I didn’t realize at first he blew three in a row. Can we expect him to go postal, after screwing himself out of a million dollars $376,452 (after taxes)

rightside on April 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Hey, this can happen to anyone, I once was reading an address, and I pronounced the word ‘”vineyard” as vine-yard,

Techster64 on April 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Was Pat a heel?

docflash on April 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM

At what point does a pronunciation become unacceptable?

bobs1196

When it is obviously mispronounced…like was the case here.

xblade on April 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

The guy needs a clever lawyer who will explain to the jury that the fellow’s pronunciation of Achilles was actually closer to the correct Greek than Pat Sajak’s pidgin proposition.

profitsbeard on April 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM

The guy’s a foreign student from what I read, so this isn’t surprising at all.

TheBlueSite on April 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM

At what point does a pronunciation become unacceptable?

bobs1196

When its closing time at the bar and you yell out something about the Marine Corpse?

BobMbx on April 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Without a doubt the most shameful aspect of this fail is that he lost the puzzle to an Aggie.

anuts on April 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Video: The most epic “Wheel of Fortune” choke ever

Wouldn’t call it a “choke”. The guy simply had never heard of Achilles before. Pretty obvious to me anyway.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Or never heard of a “decision” or a “man”…

HornHiAceDeuce on April 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Indiana U. must be so proud.
Bitter Clinger on April 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Fenris on April 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

anuts on April 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

It could have been worse . . . . . he could have lost to someone from UCBerkley (yeah, that link again).

listens2glenn on April 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Not even close. I remember one where the final round clue was:

T___e World Series

Could not come up with THE…

psrch on April 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

What a heel.

Flange on April 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

This is not about Common Core – this about what happens when you take the arts out of education.

Gebeaux on April 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Occams Stubble on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I had a teacher like that too. I flunked his psychology class because I had no idea what it was about. He spent the class reading his book to us which inexplicably consisted of conversations between Plato and Socrates.

crankyoldlady on April 14, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I think the main lesson from this is… Don’t mess with Texas.

Sterling Holobyte on April 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM