Video: Man forced to hold “I am a bully” sign for picking on disabled kids

posted at 3:21 pm on April 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

The day is coming when I’m going to give in and start writing up items like this with the lame, Upworthy-style clickbait headlines they deserve. (“You won’t believe what one judge did to punish the neighborhood bully!”) But I’m not there yet. Check back in July, when the summer news lull will have finally ground down my last bit of resistance.

What kind of bullying are we talking about here? Dude:

Prugh’s letter to the court says that in 1998, Aviv jogged past her and spit on her. He spit on her again while she was planting flowers in her backyard, the letter says.

Aviv later called Prugh a “monkey momma,” according to the letter. The letter says Aviv used the slur while she held her two adopted African-American children with disabilities.

Prugh also claimed Aviv regularly threw dog feces on her son’s car windshield and once smeared feces on a new wheelchair ramp the family built for their disabled children.

Allegedly he didn’t like the smell of fabric softener coming from the neighbors’ laundry vent so he did what any rational person would do: He opened his garage door, made some sort of device connecting a fan to a bottle of kerosene, and blew kerosene fumes into their yard in retaliation. One of the disabled children reportedly got sick. Another person who grew up nearby claims the guy used to yell racial slurs at him. He’s been convicted not once, not twice, but three times previously for harassing his neighbors according to Cleveland.com.

The Prughs haven’t moved because their home’s been modified to accommodate the disabled members of the family and modifying a new one would be costly. Here’s my only question about the punishment: How likely is it, at this point, that shaming this guy will deter him at all? If the accusations are true — smearing sh*t on a wheelchair ramp? — he’s well beyond the power of shame to force a course correction. It sounds like his reputation in the neighborhood is already terrible; what’s five hours holding a sign going to add to that?

Surely there’s some sort of restraining order that can be crafted to forbid contact with the neighbors on pain of a stiffer jail sentence if it’s violated. Here’s the video of him serving his time; the LOL moment comes 10 seconds in.

Comments

If you’re counting on many never clicking at all be sure and do it.

NotCoach on April 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

This man seems to have the moral character to be a star in the Democrat Party. I wonder if he’s killed any babies or raped any women.

Cicero43 on April 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

When is he running for the D-office?

Schadenfreude on April 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I had a neighbor that was like that.
He moved.

I don’t get along well with bullies…except my wife.

cozmo on April 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Bruce Willis did it better in Die Hard 3

Roy Rogers on April 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Yes there is and it comes in either a magazine-fed or pump-action version.

Bishop on April 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

He shouldn’t be forced to hold any sign.

He should be charged and fined for vandalism, harassment, stalking, and possible assault.

sharrukin on April 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM

As funny as this is. I really hate when judges dip into activism with shit like this. We’re all in favor of it this time… but what about when it’s something a lot more embarrassing, and less sympathetic? Will you still LOL then? I wonder.

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Will you still LOL then? I wonder.

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yes I will, ROFL even.

Bishop on April 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Will you still LOL then? I wonder.

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Public shaming used to be more common.

It worked. That’s why social elites got rid of it.

cozmo on April 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Aviv later called Prugh a “monkey momma,” according to the letter. The letter says Aviv used the slur while she held her two adopted African-American black children with disabilities.’

The kids are/were BLACK not ‘hypenated’ ANYTHING and Prugh’s an azz!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I agree. A little less Judicial Activism and a bit more hard jail time would probably do wonders for this guys attitude.

Johnnyreb on April 14, 2014 at 3:38 PM

There’s a Texas US congress critter named Ted Poe that was famous for his creative sentencing. Sandwich board signs were a mainstay.

DanMan on April 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM

From the headlines:

Lucky I’m not the judge, the sign would read “I used to pick on disabled people, now I’m disabled too.”

Bishop on April 14, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Pick on my disabled kid, and I’ll be the one standing in front of the judge.

CurtZHP on April 14, 2014 at 8:57 AM

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Pulitzer:

Reuters wins Pulitzer Prize for international reporting on persecution of Muslim minority in Myanmar – @Reuters

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM

It would have been better justice if the judge had also announced open season for anyone to throw dog crap at this idiot while he was out there with the sign.

dentarthurdent on April 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Oh, but of course that’s prize-worthy.
Murder of Christians in Syria by Muslims? Not so much…..

dentarthurdent on April 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM

dude?
a wheelchair ramp….
put a few lumps on him with a baseball bat.

ted c on April 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM

That’s Blaze territory. Year round.

Kataklysmic on April 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Army general upholds Chelsea Manning’s conviction, 35-year sentence in WikiLeaks case – @AP

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM

He shouldn’t be forced to hold any sign.

sharrukin on April 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Why not “all of the above”?

listens2glenn on April 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Print mo’ money:

New figures by the Congressional Budget Office released on Monday reveal that over the next 10 years the U.S. debt-to-GDP ratio will double to 78%.

Over the last four decades America’s average debt-to-GDP ratio was 39%. At the end of 2007, federal debt was just 35% of GDP.

The CBO report says gross federal debt will soar from $17.7 trillion to $27 trillion over the next ten years.

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Disgusting and disturbing. What is this poor woman and her kids supposed to do when this d bag decides to go postal? Does this guy own a gun?

neyney on April 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

“You won’t believe what one judge did to punish the neighborhood bully!”

I bet that video is sure to be the next video to go viral!

Look, I like Blaze as much as anyone, but the headlines make me gag.

MNHawk on April 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Probably a Browns fan.

Fenris on April 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Why not “all of the above”?

listens2glenn on April 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM

You betcha.
Put him prison, even for just a week – wearing a sign that says “I’m a racist pig who harrasses disabled black kids”.
See what kind of lessons he learns there….

dentarthurdent on April 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM

It worked. That’s why social elites got rid of it.

cozmo on April 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Pass the ghanga mon… you be holden to long…

The elites never got rid of public shaming, they merely gained control of who got shamed, Mozilla, CEO ring any bells?

oscarwilde on April 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM

He should have been a politician then he could destroy the lives of children, sell them into debt slavery and be above the law.

FloatingRock on April 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM

See what kind of lessons he learns there….

dentarthurdent on April 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM

He would learn nothing. To quote Edward Nigma, “Don’t kill him, he won’t learn anything if you do”.

oscarwilde on April 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Why not “all of the above”?

listens2glenn on April 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Because I suspect that he was allowed to do this instead of being sent where he belongs.

sharrukin on April 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

“It was like Special Olympics, or something.”

- President Barack H. Obama, The Tonight Show, March 19, 2009

rogerb on April 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

neyney on April 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Why, do guns cause people to “go postal”?

Bishop on April 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Watch your hooch:

The regulations are part of the FDA’s Food Safety Modernization Act, a sweeping new food safety reform law signed by President Obama in 2011. According to the FDA, the purpose of the law is to improve the safety of animal food.

There’s no record of spent grains causing any problems for cows or humans, though, according to Chris Thorne, a spokesman with the Beer Institute.

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

oscarwilde on April 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Oh, he’ll learn somthin’ – he may not survive the lesson – but he WILL learn somethin’.

dentarthurdent on April 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

“My actions do not reflect an appreciation for the diverse South Euclid community that I live…”

What a running dog lackey of the bourgeoisie. Let a hundred flowers bloom, women hold up half the sky!

cbenoistd on April 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

This would be a rare instance of my advocating the use of eminent domain (which of course is now possible for basically any reason since the Stupreme Court said so). Take his house for fair market value, deduct a percentage for jackazzery on his part (say, 90%, lol), and let someone move in who has a conscience and some moral character.

xNavigator on April 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

neyney on April 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Why, do guns cause people to “go postal”?

Bishop on April 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Nawwww – according to the libs the guns jump up and do it themselves.

dentarthurdent on April 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM

“You won’t believe what one judge did to punish the neighborhood bully!”

I bet that video is sure to be the next video to go viral!

Look, I like Blaze as much as anyone, but the headlines make me gag.

MNHawk on April 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Truth. They need a more sophisticated headline writer.

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM

rogerb on April 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

First thing that came to my mind when I read about this.

tommer74 on April 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Oh, I think this sign-holding thing will work out pretty well. I’m sure that it has been publicized quite well locally, just as I am sure there are local men who were previously unaware of his existence and now, knowing that he desperately needs ‘help’ from the community, would now like to step up and ‘help’ him.

M240H on April 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He should be happy that the judge couldn’t use stocks

J_Crater on April 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

“It was like Special Olympics, or something.”

- President Barack H. Obama, The Tonight Show, March 19, 2009

rogerb on April 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

First thing that came to my mind when I read about this.

tommer74 on April 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

And i still can’t believe that not one of you is willing to call him out for this crap. It would make all your cries about left wing and media bias much more worthwhile if you were willing to call out your own for this disgusting crap.

And with that, have a nice day crying about lefty bias and double standards while you let blatant racism go unchecked.

everdiso on April 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM

everdiso line two, please.

everdiso, you have a call holding on line two.

rogerb on April 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Public shaming used to be more common.

cozmo on April 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Yup…and now people no longer care that they have 3 kids by 2 different dads that pay no child support; cause tons of people are like them. Or that they buy groceries with food stamps and welfare, cause they have an indistinguishable debit card now.

Not saying people need a literal scarlet letter on their chest…but geez, maybe make people feel a little bad that they’re bringing down this country from the inside. Might cause some to work hard to get away from it.

nextgen_repub on April 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Why does it take a judge to deal with something like this. Why do people put up with it. People become bullies because the people they bully do nothing. That just encourages them to up the ante. In the old days relatives and friends would have taken him into an alley and beat the you know what out of people like him.

crankyoldlady on April 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Racist attitudes are not illegal. Intolerance is not illegal. Lack of appreciation for the diverse community is not illegal.

The ACTIONS he took were deplorable, and he should be punished for them. And public shaming is a fine punishment, at least in some circumstances.

But what is also deplorable is the court ordering him publicly shamed for his attitudes and beliefs. As others have said, I’m waiting for the day when a court will force someone to hold a “I am against marriage equality” sign.

Therefore, I’d say that this judge is wrong and the punishment is ludicrous.

Shump on April 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Holder should have to do that outside of Congress for his contempt charge.

Sven on April 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Democrats are reportedly looking at this guy for Hillary’s running mate – a real ‘spark plug,’ they call him.

Good Lt on April 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I despise these judges who think they are creative in sentencing.

Aviv is 62-years-old. You really think that shaming him with a five hour stint holding a much too wordy sign (thanks to the idiot judge) is going to change a man who would throw dog feces at his neighbors?

The man is already living in Cleveland, isn’t that punishment enough? Seriously, use the full power of the law to keep this idiot from annoying his neighbors but spare us all from public acts of shaming.

Happy Nomad on April 14, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Holder should have to do that outside of Congress for his contempt charge.

Sven on April 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Sorry, but there are only two signs I want to see Eric Holder with. The first is the one with the booking information on his mugshot. The second, years from now, is the one that he holds at some intersection saying he’s homeless and needs help.

Happy Nomad on April 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM

A better punishment would’ve been to allow the kids to take dumps on his doorstep and throw baseballs through his windows…

The Ugly American on April 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I’m not going to be OK with this public shaming BS until they sentence a clear minority (as opposed to a white-hispanic) to it.

I won’t hold my breath…

This is just more racism against white men, if you ask me.

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM

DP. No, not that type of salad tossing in jail, but the kind that involves Mr. Sparky. Why? The dude is wearing a Blancpain 50 Fathoms knockoff. In my world, that is crossing a line that shall never be crossed. I have my standards to keep.

HonestLib on April 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Now I think he shouldn’t have been able to wear the hat and the sunglasses.

he’s well beyond the power of shame to force a course correction

He been convicted twice and pleaded guilty this time and still whines that he didn’t do it and is a victim. Until he gets into felony territory I don’t think he’s going to learn anything but if this sign has a chance…..works for me.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Hey! I’m in a minority. Bring back the stockades, lower the jail population and save the taxpayers some money.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Holder should have to do that outside of Congress for his contempt charge.

Sven on April 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Happy Nomad on April 14, 2014 at 4:56 P

And it’s raining, and there’s a big mud hole.

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

You’re a conservative, you don’t count — They’ll just call you an [Insert-Race-Specific-Uncle-Tom-Reference-Here]

=P

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

crankyoldlady on April 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Several years ago, in a smallish town southwest of Kansas City, MO, a town went missing its bully.

Nobody knew nuthin’.

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM

crankyoldlady on April 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Didn’t think I would be able to find it, but:

Ken Rex McElroy (June 1, 1934 – July 10, 1981) was a resident of of Skidmore, Nodaway County, Missouri. Known as “the town bully”, his unsolved murder became the focus of international attention.

Over the course of his life McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, rape, arson, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary.

In all, he was indicted 21 times, but escaped conviction each time, except for the last.

In 1981, McElroy was convicted of shooting and seriously injuring the town’s 70-year-old grocer, Ernest “Bo” Bowenkamp, the previous year. McElroy successfully appealed the conviction and was released on bond, after which he engaged in an ongoing harassment campaign against Bowenkamp, the town’s Church of Christ minister, and others who were sympathetic to Bowenkamp.

He appeared in a local bar, the D&G Tavern, armed with an M1 Garand rifle and bayonet, and later threatened to kill Bowenkamp.

The next day, McElroy was shot to death in broad daylight as he sat with his wife Trena in his pickup truck on Skidmore’s main street. He was struck by bullets from at least two different firearms, in front of a crowd of people estimated as between 30 and 46.

To date, no one has been charged in connection with McElroy’s death.

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

nullrouted on April 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

That’s lost its sting after all these years.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM

More:

Fathering more than 10 children with different women, he met his last “wife”, Trena McCloud, when she was 12 years old and in eighth grade. She became pregnant when she was fourteen, dropped out of school in the ninth grade, and went to live with McElroy and a woman named Alice Wood.

Sixteen days after Trena gave birth, both she and Alice fled to Trena’s mother’s and stepfather’s house. According to court records, McElroy tracked them down and brought them back.

He then returned to Trena’s parents home when they were away, shot the family dog, and burned down the house.

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Williams-Byers also sentenced Aviv to 15 days in jail, seven months on probation, 100 hours of community service, anger management classes and personal counseling at the Diversity Center of Cleveland. Aviv pleaded no contest to a fourth-degree misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

davidk on April 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

True story… my mother’s people are McElroys from Mo. who came to Tx. mid-1840s. I was in the middle of trying to connect our Tx. branch to a line in Mo. when this story hit the news. My PawPaw read it and told me to quit… said he didn’t want to know if there was a chance he was related to this guy.

jffree1 on April 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Sounds like a real azz.

Tasha on April 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Ages ago, the local community would have “modified” his behavior.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 14, 2014 at 8:22 PM