Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on April 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

Paul was one of three potential 2016 presidential aspirants who addressed the “Freedom Summit.” But while Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee mainly dished out partisan red meat barbs and one-liners that easily catered to the audience, Paul challenged the party’s image at the same time he pledged not to dilute its core principles

“If you want to be consistent, if you want to grow the movement, we cannot be the party of fat cats, rich people and Wall Street,” he said. “There’s always a bigger working class than an owner’s class. I’m not against the owner’s class but I want to tell the workers on America that we’re on their side.”…

“Cruz is making an introduction to New Hampshire voters, Huck a reintroduction. Rand’s relationship goes deeper, he is at a different stage in the process,” said the strategist.

***

It is through this message, Paul says, that Republicans can find an opening with a constituency that has largely voted as a bloc for Democrats since the civil rights era. Some of this push is also reactive: Paul has previously come under fire for making controversial comments about the Civil Rights Act, and Democrats think he is extremely vulnerable on racial issues. But that doesn’t mean Paul’s views are insincere or will have no impact on GOP thinking longer-term.

“I truly do care about the injustice and what it’s done to voting,” Paul told me when we met Friday at a pizza place in downtown Manchester. “Everyone’s talking about voter ID. Voter ID is one-one thousandths of the problem compared to felony disenfranchisement. I think there’s 150,000 people in Kentucky who can’t vote because of a felony conviction. Probably half or more are black.”…

I asked Paul about the time Christie called his foreign policy “dangerous” and when former U.S. ambassador to the U.N John Bolton described Republicans like Paul as “unfit to serve.” (Both men, particularly Christie, harbor presidential ambitions of their own.)

“The people who are saying that are the dangerous people,” Paul said. “The people who wake up at night thinking of which new country they want to bomb, which new country they want to be involved in, they don’t like restraint. They don’t like reluctance to go to war. They really wouldn’t like Ronald Reagan if they read anything he wrote or were introduced to it.”

***

“I’ve repeatedly voted for sanctions against Iran. And I think all options should be on the table to prevent them from having nuclear weapons,” Paul said on “This Week” Sunday. But he said those who oppose the idea of containment — or living with an Iran with nuclear weapons — ignore that such an outcome has been necessary in the past.

“They said containment will never ever, ever be our policy,” Paul said of those who oppose Iran getting nuclear weapons at any cost. “We woke up one day and Pakistan had nuclear weapons. If that would have been our policy toward Pakistan, we would be at war with Pakistan. We woke up one day and China had nuclear weapons. We woke up one day and Russia had them.”

“The people who say ‘by golly, we will never stand for that,’ they are voting for war,” he added.

***

Former Rep. Ron Paul said Friday he was happy that his son, Sen. Rand Paul, opposed recent legislation that would send financial assistance to Ukraine.

“Congress just last week, they rushed to pass this guaranteed loan of a billion dollars, which is really just opening up the door for endless loans,” the Texas Republican said. “There were two senators who voted against it, and I’m very pleased my son voted against it–not that I had any doubts, I tell ya.”…

Rand Paul hasn’t been quite as strident about staying out of the Ukraine situation as his father. In fact, he argued last month that President Obama was failing to project Ronald Reagan’s “peace through strength” policy, and he called for the United States to be even more aggressive on its diplomatic efforts relating to Russia.

“It is our role as a global leader to be the strongest nation in opposing Russia’s latest aggression,” he wrote in an opinion piece.

***

If I were Adelson, and I considered it desperately important to keep one of America’s major parties closer to my hawkishly pro-Israel views, I would simply give a Ted Cruz-aligned super PAC $200 million at the start of the next election and pledge to give it $200 million more should that money be needed. Let Cruz’s money advantage make him the more attractive “populist Tea Party alternative” to the GOP’s establishment candidates. Save a few hundred million more and dangle it in front of every other GOP aspirant but Paul and watch the field unify in their opposition to the Kentucky senator and his libertarian policies. Just make it rain and watch GOP polls contort themselves…

Money can make an unflattering campaign story: “Paul lagging in funds.” And money can amplify that story: Conservatives doubting Paul can overcome money hurdles.

Perhaps the Paul camp would welcome such a unified opposition. After all, it would grant his us-vs-them fundraising campaigns quite a bit of legitimacy. Surely, his grassroots-savvy team could light a few money-bomb campaigns with that. But does even Paul believe that a presidential campaign can run on $100 checks sent in by hepped-up liberty advocates?

To win, Paul and his anti-interventionist cadres must develop a fundraising apparatus as well-organized, as active, and as deep-pocketed as the one he faces. Until the media is buzzing about “Paul bundlers,” “Paul angels,” and “Paul-billionaires,” I wouldn’t bet on him winning the GOP nomination.

***

That is just one example of the balancing act Mr. Paul is attempting as he prepares for a likely White House bid in 2016. Trying to leap from tea-party firebrand to GOP standard-bearer, the freshman senator is courting the party leaders and fundraisers crucial to a national campaign, while mostly keeping faith with the libertarian base that made him a Republican Party phenom.

A test comes on April 25, when Spencer Zwick, the national finance chairman for Mitt Romney’s presidential campaigns, is slated to introduce top donors in Boston to Mr. Paul. While some fundraisers say Mr. Paul’s resistance to the use of military force abroad disqualifies him from leading the GOP, others are intrigued by his efforts to grow the party by reaching out to young and minority audiences…

“We’re building a winning coalition, and we want the Republican Party to see that,” said Doug Stafford, one of Mr. Paul’s top political advisers…

His noninterventionist posture makes Mr. Paul too extreme for many GOP rainmakers. “His name doesn’t even come up in my circles,” said Florida real-estate developer Mel Sembler, a veteran fundraiser trying to draft former Gov. Jeb Bush for 2016. “Sen. Paul is pretty isolationist. We’re a leader in the world, and we shouldn’t abandon that philosophy.”

***

Cruz, who came to the Senate two years after Paul, appears to be muscling him out of first place in Tea Partiers’ hearts. Where Paul calls himself a “libertarian Republican,” Cruz touts his full-spectrum conservatism on fiscal, social, and foreign policy. Cruz aggressively championed the push to defund Obamacare that helped lead to last fall’s government shutdown (Paul also backed it, but tepidly), an act that made him a pariah in Washington but a hero to the grassroots. Paul got lots of attention for staging a 13-hour filibuster on the Obama Administration’s use of drones last March; Cruz transparently copied the tactic with an even longer speech on Obamacare in September…

Cruz, on the other hand, told the crowd only what he knew it wanted to hear. His speech, unlike Paul’s, was infused with personality, beginning with cute stories about his young daughters. Of his defiant five-year-old, Caroline, who likes to play a game she calls “attack the Daddy,” he mused that she must be taking her cues from Senate Republican leadership.

Cruz, like Paul, made a populist appeal: “The rich and powerful, those who walk the corridors of power, are getting fat and happy” under the current administration, he said. At one point, someone in the crowd yelled, “Thank you!” And when he finished with a defiant promise to “repeal every single word of Obamacare,” the crowd was on its feet.

In interviews with a dozen audience members, I could find only one who preferred Paul to Cruz.

***

Citing the work of Henry Olsen, a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, Balz wrote: “The most conservative wing generally gets the most attention, but the voters who count most in the GOP nomination process are those who say they are ‘somewhat conservative.’ This is the largest group nationally and is consistently a big presence in all the states, unlike some of the other factions. ‘They are not very vocal but they form the bedrock base of the Republican Party,’ Olsen writes. ‘They also have a significant distinction: they always back the winner.’”

These “bedrock” voters don’t show up at straw polls. They don’t wave signs or show up at rallies. They do, however, vote. And, while much has been made of the Tea Party overpowering the establishment in congressional primaries, it’s important to remember that presidential primaries bring out a much bigger and more diverse electorate. Paul’s association with his father and the libertarian movement are a likely red flag to these more traditional voters.

I get why the media loves covering Rand Paul. He’s actively challenging GOP orthodoxy. He likes talking to reporters. He’s multi-dimensional. But, that doesn’t automatically translate into “frontrunner” status. He has some significant hurdles he’ll need to climb before then. He’s like a house with instant curb appeal, but we don’t know if the house is sturdy until we start poking around at the infrastructure. At the end of the day, Rand Paul’s biggest challenge won’t be convincing people he can expand the base of the party. It will be in convincing the traditional and establishment Republican base of the party that he is truly presidential material.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Heh. At least that one makes some sense. Disabilities can be reversible.

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM

But if something is permanent it’s not reversible :)

Schadenfreude on April 15, 2014 at 12:17 AM

oscarwilde on April 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM

It’s not too often commenters say almost the same thing on different threads on the same day:-)

Due to the fact that this Administration, Congress and the Supreme Court have divided the American people into sectors, our Constitution is being shredded. Instead of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights applying to every American Citizen, we now have “Special” rights for various sectors of them.

“A House divided cannot stand” was and is true. The motive for all of these “Special” rights? Divide and conquer.

bluefox on April 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

bluefox on April 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Were you caught off guard by Bill Clinton talking about a national ID – (SS Card) with a photo?

Where did that come from?

jake-the-goose on April 15, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Yes. Photo IDs are not racist if you: open a bank account, board a plane, are stopped for a traffic violation, must prove you are old enough to buy tobacco or alcohol, get a post office box, apply for Social Security or other entitlements, visit most federal government buildings, attend an Obama rally or even participate in an NAACP rally protesting voter ID laws.

They are only racist when it involves proving you are eligible to vote.

bw222 on April 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:11 AM

John Michael Osbourne – what an original

jake-the-goose on April 15, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Admit it though. He was a geek on stage. That video in particular. It’s like, who let that guy up there?

:-)

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Admit it though. He was a geek on stage

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Strong medicine at work

jake-the-goose on April 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM

It just got crazy!

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:11 AM

hawkdriver: Lol,yup:)
=======================

USS Warship gets a close-Shave, er,..Buzzed:

Ukraine, Russia political crisis
10h
More: Military official says the Russian fighter flew within 1,000 yards of the USS Donald Cook in the Black Sea – @AP
read more on hosted.ap.org
============================

Ukraine, Russia political crisis
10h
Pentagon says a Russian fighter aircraft flew repeated, close-range passes near a US ship in the Black Sea on April 12 – @Reuters
end of alert
============

Ukraine, Russia political crisis
10h
US military officials say a Russian attack warplane engaged in ‘provocative action’ when it buzzed the US Navy guided missile destroyer Donald Cook in the western Black Sea on Saturday, April 12 – @NBCNews
end of alert

canopfor on April 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM

canopfor on April 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Between the support for Mitch, free-enterprise zones, and amnesty, I cannot find myself supporting Rand going forward.

nobar on April 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Where did that come from?

jake-the-goose on April 15, 2014 at 12:00 AM

His secret desire to constantly say: “Your papers, please…”?

JohnGalt23 on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:11 AM

absolutely nothing good was going to come out of that over there
<—–

Murphy9 on April 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Sometimes, it takes time.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Cruz…* I would hit the pavement for.

John the Libertarian on April 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Huge! Me too. I think almost everybody would. Seriously, hit the pavement. And donate big. Something that didn’t happen much with Romney or Mccain.

And don’t underestimate the appeal to independents of Cruz’s appeal, as exemplified in his video ad.

There are 3 legs of conservatism: fiscal, social, and defense (I’m pretty sure). Cruz satisfies, and I mean satisfies, all 3. Few can do that. And Rand Paul, I’m afraid satisfies fiscal, and … um … that’s it. Even though his official positions are in line with social conservatism, people question him there on his trustworthiness, and on amnesty. And defense… we don’t know.

And as far as defense, I think maybe the Ukraine situation is showing us that it was a bit premature for conservatives to start a Paulian (an appalling) position on defense.

Plus Cruz is Hispanic. Cuban. For what it’s worth. Very different from the amnesty pushing, baby-faced Rubio though.

*I blanked out Palin because she’s just not going to run.

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

But if something is permanent it’s not reversible :)

Schadenfreude on April 15, 2014 at 12:17 AM

HA! Yeah, I just reread it–It’s clearly written by the Department of Redundant Repetitiveness Department.
Those guys are all over it–you’re not going to slide by with a merely permanent injury, it’s got to be permanent AND irreversible.
And probably lifelong, too. :)

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

His secret desire to constantly say: “Your papers, please…”?

JohnGalt23 on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

OMG,, that’s a funny line –

jake-the-goose on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

now they are shooting areas. Murphy9 on April 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM

They beotch about lead. In a 10,000 year aquifer. In a desert.

Yet they won. With no logic.

You can still find lead balls in the dirt around where I grew up. With shallow wells.

There is no argument with these fools. HA tos makes me refrain from suggesting remedy.

wolly4321 on April 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Sometimes, it takes time.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

You are way more of an optimist than I.

Keep it up. :)

Murphy9 on April 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM

My all time personal favorite was a form from the disability people, state or federal I forget which–it said,“Is the patient’s permanent condition still permanent?”

I kid you not.
That’s the kind of stuff that makes you want to pull your hair out.

Doc Holliday on April 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Or “Is the disability irreversible and permanent?”

Schadenfreude on April 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I looked at that thing and decided there was no way I was going to sign it. It was like sitting across from the devil himself and having him smile and ask, “You give?”

My answer was no — no way I’m putting my name on “permanent,” even if it would wipe tens of thousands of dollars in debt away, even if it would have made eating less “iffy.” :) I decided to limp off into the woods instead, deal with being hungry and wade through the financial wreckage.

(BTW, I win. It’s gone. F “permanent.” Also, I cleaned up the wreckage and learned to love peanut butter. Speaking of which — brb.)

Axe on April 15, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Obama warns Russia in tense call with Putin over Ukraine

canopfor on April 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Hussein asking Pooty ‘s advice on how to deal with the Bundy Ranch people ?

burrata on April 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Cruz has the fortitude to dismantle the EPA, Dept. of Education, Dept. of Energy, IRS and cut the NSA by 2/3rd and tell them foreign surveillance only, we’ll take our chances.

John the Libertarian on April 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM

that stain left a mark on me.

jake-the-goose on April 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I voted for Perot. Part of it was a protest vote because the media called the election for Slick Willie before the polls closed in CA.

John the Libertarian on April 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM

There is a special place in heck for you two. I used to go bat-sh!t crazy when I talked to people who were planning to vote for Perot. I still haven’t forgiven even my close friends for doing that.

Vince on April 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

You are way more of an optimist than I.

Keep it up. :)

Murphy9 on April 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM

It’s already done. Dude wants to see racism everywhere. He failed. Looked like an ass. Sometimes, that’s good enough.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2014 at 12:30 AM

I want that M1 Garand more than ever..

At least I’ll go out in style.

wolly4321 on April 15, 2014 at 12:30 AM

He’s my man. NOT GOPe, NOT commie, FOR Liberty….

I’m T.E.A. party, but not in the MSM “hard right” sense. I a Lib. libertian, note the small “l”.

Don’t Tread on Me! is my daily creed. “Live Free or Die!” should be your motto, all of you.

Tea Party Libertarians should we all be – Obey the Constitution. Quit raping our wallets. Leave us alone to live our lives, happily, without Government intrusion.

Who is John Galt on April 15, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Wolly, you’ll like my latest post…

PointnClick on April 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM

That didn’t sound right.

wolly4321 on April 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM

canopfor on April 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Hussein asking Pooty ‘s advice on how to deal with the Bundy Ranch people ?

burrata on April 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM

burrata: Good one:)

canopfor on April 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM

The Most Interesting Taxi Driver In The World…

“I don’t always post insane political screeds, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taxicab Depressions…”

The Pig Trap

If you like it, gimme some love on Facebook and Twitter…

Oh, and hat-tip to some Hot Gas poster that compared Michelle Obama to a woodchipper a while back…. I swiped that metaphor… It was too good not to…

PointnClick on April 15, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Nice to see you. :)

–You sure this is one post? Sucker’s got some mass.

Axe on April 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Jordan Schlansky……

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM

canopfor on April 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Hussein asking Pooty ‘s advice on how to deal with the Bundy Ranch people ?

burrata on April 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM

burrata: Okay,…your not too far off da mark:)
================================================

Tweets All / No replies

Natasha Mozgovaya ‏@mozgovaya 4h

.@BarackObama “urged Pres. #Putin 2 use his influence w/ these armed, pro-#Russian groups 2 convince them 2 depart the buildings they seized
Retweet
Favorite
Natasha Mozgovaya ‏@mozgovaya 4h

.@BarackObama told #Putin he believes diplo solution still possible, bt can’t succeed w/ #Russian military intimidation & armed provocation
Retweet
Favorite
Natasha Mozgovaya ‏@mozgovaya 4h

WH: at #Russia’s request @BarackObama spoke w/ #Putin, “expressed grave concern ab Russian gvt support of armed separatists in #Ukraine

canopfor on April 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Vince on April 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM

I also voted for Perot.In my defense-I had just turned 22.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 12:39 AM

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Ok, before someone beats me to it, I’m going to question my own statement. The thing is, sometimes I think Paul is strong (enough) on defense, but at other times I start to wonder… does he really want what his dad wants, a radical retrenchment of our military?

And why do I go back and forth? I think it is because Rand Paul is trying to play two different and often opposing constituencies: those of his dad, and conservatives. So he’s beating around the bush a lot (and I don’t mean Jeb Bush, though Paul inexplicably supported Jeb’s “act of love” immigration comment) on his defense positions. Same with on social issues like amnesty and abortion. He’ll probably do that on his big ticket anti-welfare-state positions as well. He’s equivocating, double-talking, hedging, and sometimes contradicting himself. Cruz never equivocates or hedges. He knows what he believes in, and doesn’t have to triple think to put out a sentence (plus Cruz is a debate champion, that helps).

So, go with Cruz!

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Jordan Schlansky…..again!…

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM

I also voted for Perot.In my defense-I had just turned 22.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 12:39 AM

….thanks for falling for The Mainstream Media’s Ploy and Helping To Elect CLINTON!!!

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Skyrocketing premiums!

Check this article out. It’s the headliner over on Fox.
Then everyone together…”WE TOLD YOU SO. WE TOLD YOU SO. WE TOLD YOU SO….”

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM

It was that giant suckin’ sound…

Lanceman on April 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Pointnclick- I will read that tomorrow. It’s long for tonight.

But you write well. I want to take the time to enjoy it.

wolly4321 on April 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM

So, go with Cruz!

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM

I don’t find Rand’s equivocation to be inexplicable, unfortunately. I see him as a politician who’s juggling his ego, ambition, ungrounded beliefs, and principles, showing us why he isn’t so great or trustworthy.

I view Cruz as you do. I like him more than the Pauls because I think he understands the enemy and how to handle them better, and I think he’s less egocentric as well. The Pauls come across as weak and underhanded to me even when I agree 100% with what they are saying.

non-nonpartisan on April 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM

happily, without Government intrusion.

Who is John Galt on April 15, 2014 at 12:32 AM

And happy with the rest of the world intrusion and milking of your freedoms…anyone for amnesty is out…because:

1. They destroy the land.

2. They make the Ds permanent (which is the same as 1.)

Schadenfreude on April 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM

You can expect the alt GLARE now. ;-)

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Sky rocketing premiums
And HUGE deductibles!

Who wants to place bets on who’ll be the first red state Democrat up for reelection to start calling for total repeal? It’s going to happen at some point.

This is one of the reasons why if I ever go back into private practice I WILL NOT take any kind of insurance.

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Hi Everyone.

I had a marvelous day. It was marvelous and [need a word here to describe how it was by someone who has a decent vocabulary, being psychic might help also]…

Anyhow I hope you are [can somebody that knows how to write fill this in]. Aside from politics the day was, as I said, marvelous.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

It was that giant suckin’ sound…

Lanceman on April 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM

So you had a good weekend I gather.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

You can expect the alt GLARE now. ;-)

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM

I get scared when she does that. You know a bite is coming next.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM

So you had a good weekend I gather.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Dummy up, you! Or Antwerp will vote for Ron Paul!

Lanceman on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM

I was TWENTY TWO.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Hi Spark!

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Hahaha, my deductible is way higher than your deductible. That is why you are pikers and I am not.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

thanks for falling for The Mainstream Media’s Ploy and Helping To Elect CLINTON!!! ….Everyone who votes “Third Party” is a TOOL of the Mainstream Media, The Liberals and The DNC!! williamg on April 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM

My Mom did too. She liked the graphs. Even if they were wrong.

My Mom wasn’t 22, and was an accountant.

wolly4321 on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Lanceman on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Ron Paul?
ESOD, Lance…and FLINK!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Sparky, I ain’t a psychic. More of a prophet, actually. :-)

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Hi Mr. Gun Slinger. I like your stache. Caution, Twerp is a gun slinger too. Plus she sings. Don’t let that fool you.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM

F**k the amnesty pimp Rand Paul and the horse he rode in on. The pretend “conservative” is all about broadening his appeal to the illegal invaders. He is worse than Obama.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Heh. You do understand what a deductible is, right? Im assuming you do and your just being sarcastic Sparky.

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM

wolly4321 on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

MY parents voted in the dim primary so they could vote for Tsongas. I went OFF on them about that.
Come Nov-THEY voted for GHWB-while I voted for…

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Lanceman on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Yikes. The Twerp in the other universe Loves Ron Paul and hates sharks.

Isn’t that a ying-yang?

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM

*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Sparky, I ain’t a psychic. More of a prophet, actually. :-)

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I didn’t know that, which makes me not very psychic either.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Twerp dresses up as a rabbit that poops brightly colored eggs. I can’t be too scared.

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Define radical retrenchment. Is getting troops off of the Korean peninsula radical? I suspect Rand, much like Ron, would probably look to do so. However, unlike the old man, I don’t think Rand is looking to bail on NATO. I don’t think Rand is looking to bail on Japan. He’s already stated he would continue aid to Israel, if not to Arab nations.

The retrenchment certainly wouldn’t be as radical as I would like…

JohnGalt23 on April 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

WASHINGTON — Sen. Rand Paul is calling for conservatives to embrace the cause of immigration reform, outlining a proposal that would grant some form of legal status to the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants after the federal government has certified that the border is secure.

Paul’s proposal, outlined in a speech to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Washington on Tuesday, carefully avoided the term citizenship. Instead, the Kentucky senator said he sought a middle ground that would include a multi-year process of granting visas to undocumented workers that would hinge on the annual verification of the security of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Paul echoed the key finding of an internal review from the Republican National Committee that called for the party to recast its image in order to attract minority voters, saying the GOP must change the perception of the party as anti-immigrant.

Latinos, should be a natural constituency for the party, Paul argued, but “Republicans have pushed them away with harsh rhetoric over immigration.”

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

That’s it, Spark. You’ve been GLARED. Now off with your head. ;-)

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Cripes. A bite is coming next.

I think I will go drink some Zima with Lanceman. I hope he isn’t playing Yoko Ono tunes on his weird instrument thingy with the strings.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Wait. Don’t I get my leg bit off first. She is going right for the jugular these days.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Feels a bit meh to me.

*licks finger*
*holds up finger*

Yeah, definite meh. :) I dunno — can it be de-meh’d? Possibly, but I’m not sure what course of action to take. SparkPlug up there said his day was marvelous, but one miscreant’s marvelous is apparently another billion dollar software mogul’s meh. And you say it’s good.

I don’t know about this comment of yours, Dire. I have to think about it.

Axe on April 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Rand Paul, who is forced to pretend to be a conservative to hid his full allegiance to his father’s ideas does not believe in controlling the border. Nor does he really believe in military strength. That’s why he goes to Berkeley and gets a standing ovation. He is a worse liar than Obama, and that’s hard to do.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM

When I said, “I view Cruz as you do,” I meant it as a general statement. He, like Walker in WI, needs to make himself perfectly clear about how he believes we should handle illegals. That’s a deal-breaking issue for me.

non-nonpartisan on April 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Ted Cruz is the only real conservative worth considering. Huck, Trump, Christie, Jeb: that’s one unfunny joke. And Rand “Tea Party” Paul is actually a funny joke.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Stroko Ono? That skank?

Lanceman on April 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM

I was TWENTY TWO.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

…….sorry – but a sin of that magnitude is “age transparent”……..at least you caught on – too late, but eventually…….you elected a minion of Satan……

…..the first election I could vote in, I voted Nixon into his second term……only good because the alternative was arguably the worst idiot that ever lived: George McGovern……..

….The Alternative to HW was ALWAYS Clinton – voting for ANYONE but HW was a vote for Clinton……

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM

The ALT fan club

Doc Holliday on April 15, 2014 at 1:06 AM

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I’m not going to beat myself up for something that I did almost 22 years ago.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Murphy9 on April 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Good news. That’s a nice site too, thanks.

bluefox on April 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Ted Cruz is the only real conservative worth considering.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Statements like this are what we in the industry like to refer to as “brainfarts“…….

As to the rest:

Huck, Trump, Christie, Jeb: that’s one unfunny joke.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM

….there ARE no Republicans – let alone “Conservatives” in that list…..

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Rand Paul has “nuanced” his position on Amnesty more than Obama on Obamacare. How stupid does he think can Conservatives be? Pretty damn stupid. So OK, he does like small government, that’s good, but on immigration and defense he is worth than Romney.

Cruz is almost perfect. I wish he would talk like Trump on Amnesty, but he is still a politician from Texas. Still 1000% better than the evil seed of the old crank. He doesn’t lie and the truth he tells is conservative.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM

non-nonpartisan on April 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Great to have some serious agreement with me that Cruz is it!

And another thing on Paul, apparently he’s come out pretty strongly for amnesty, or amnesty-lite which would become full amnesty, kind of like what Ryan is for, and Rubio for that matter, and Schumer, and Reid, and Pelosi, and 100% of the Dems. Not good.

anotherJoe on April 15, 2014 at 1:09 AM

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I’m not going to beat myself up for something that I did almost 22 years ago.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2014 at 1:07 AM

….no sense in that….it was too long ago, you can’t change it…And WE Took The Beating For you Already!

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:09 AM

I supposed he was compiling his library to hide it from the Apache since the two power supplies didn’t arrive in time to jiggle robo girls boobs.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 1:10 AM

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM

We in the industry refer to statements like that as “content free”. Also sometimes as “juvenile”.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Cruz is great…….Palin is my personal favorite – because she Scares The Living Bee-Jesus Out of The Crony Capitalists…..but I’d Vote for Paul without Holding my nose!

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Cruz isn’t perfect, but name ANYONE with even a remote chance of winning who even comes close. Name ONE, ANYONE.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:12 AM

oscarwilde on April 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM

bluefox on April 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

bluefox on April 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Truth is what it is. The end does not justify the means. Victory at any cost is not victory. When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Many refuse to grow up. Refusing to grow up, they are easily misled by others more crafty and intelligent then themselves.

They are taught that their greatest strength is their divided house. They are taught that victory is getting exactly what they want. They are taught that the only thing that counts is winning. They lose time and time again and cannot understand why they keep losing. Their few and far between victories are Pyrrhic, and they do not understand why they lose the important battles.

They are taught that the end justifies the means. And we are all losers because they cannot unlearn what they have been taught.

oscarwilde on April 15, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I’m on the Perry or Jindal bandwagon. Third choice – Walker.

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 1:12 AM

SOMETHING HUGE JUST HAPPENED AND THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA IS IGNORING IT: http://t.co/N19tmUpegk

idesign on April 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Mark will have something to say about this, no doubt. He’s off for Passover now. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about it.

bluefox on April 15, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Hey. Some one is using fire fox.

/could be a bluff or a fake bluff.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 1:13 AM

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM

You can’t say something like this and care about Amnesty at all. Paul essentially promised to legalize the invaders and then played one verbal game after another. And those who know Palin’s statements, know that she at one point advocated Amnesty.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM

…No – actually, “Content Free” is DEFINED by Any Statement Containing The Phrase: “the only real conservative worth considering“……it’s also beyond blind and arrogant….

…..you can Look It Up!!

…..Because just about ANY Alternative to Hillary is Worth Considering…….

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Take your ear plugs, it’s the only stuff he knows how to play…

oscarwilde on April 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM

…..which department of Soros’s Oppo Research do you work for?

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:16 AM

He is a worse liar than Obama, and that’s hard to do.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Naw, he’s a true believer. He’s just naive.

John the Libertarian on April 15, 2014 at 1:16 AM

idesign on April 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Holy Jeebus motherload of moab bombshells. Dear lord smack the Fed. Smack them into oblivion.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Sounds like the gilled ones sock puppet.

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 1:17 AM

I still want the M1 Garand. I figure in the long run all of this is silly.

At some point,,

I mean do you really want to argue with progs?

They don’t want to argue with us, do they?

No, they don’t.

I don’t know why we waste time. We always wait till the last minute.

I’de like to crush them now. All of them. All progs,

You know who they are.

If you don’t,, you leave it for your kids to deal with z10

wolly4321 on April 15, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Perry and Walker have BOTH came out for Amnesty, and Jindal is a squish. Don’t you guys understand that once Amnesty is passed, it’s good buy good ol’ USofA? It’s frustrating to see people just not care about the most important subject of our time. Haven’t you heard Pelosi and friends wax poetic about how they don’t care about the midterms just as long as they pass Amnesty? Can’t you understand what’s important and what isn’t? Jeez…like little kids. “But Walker stood up to the unions”. So did the f**ing lardass from New Jersey.

Igor R. on April 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM

idesign on April 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM

bluefox on April 15, 2014 at 1:13 AM

THIS is a “Big Effin’ DEAL!!”

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM

/could be a bluff or a fake bluff.

SparkPlug on April 15, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Opera and loving it.

John the Libertarian on April 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM

@Igor Some of us ain’t single issue voters. If you are, thats fine. Reminds me of the gilled one.

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Almost time for me to go. Gotta get some rest.

tommy71 on April 15, 2014 at 1:22 AM

THIS is a “Big Effin’ DEAL!!”

williamg on April 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Read deeper into the article, some states have rescinded. I don’t really know what that means.

John the Libertarian on April 15, 2014 at 1:22 AM