Sebelius: I wasn’t pushed out — staying just “wasn’t an option”

posted at 6:31 pm on April 13, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

The obligatory Sunday-show exit interview from our now departed leader of the Department of Health and Human Services . A normal post-first term career change deferred until the the president’s crowning legislative achievement became operational, or the least inopportune moment possible to shove out an incompetent manager after a disastrous performance? The world may never know.

I made a decision at the election that I couldn’t leave along with a lot of my colleagues who left at the end of the first term. That did not seem to be even a topic to consider since there was still one more chapter in this Affordable Care Act that needed to roll out and that had been one of my responsibilities as the secretary of Health and Human Services, so staying on made good sense to me. I also thought that at the end of open enrollment was a logical time to leave. There is never a good time — there’s going to be another open enrollment, there are changes down the road. But the president and I began to talk, you know, after the first of the year, and I went back to him in early March and said, you know, I’m really optimistic that we’re going to meet the targets, and the enrollment is going well. The site is working well. I think once we finish this first chapter, you really should begin to look for the next secretary who can be here through the end of your term. And that really wasn’t a commitment I was willing to make, and he knew that.

Ah, well. I think it’s probably safe to say that her political career has come to a close — but no matter, right? K Street awaits with open arms, I’m sure.

Comments

Find a big rock and crawl under it. Please.

31giddyup on April 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Das vidanya Comrade Sebilius.

iwasbornwithit on April 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM

They told me it was flying lesson….

massrighty on April 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Rev. Jones said It was just Kool-Aid.

massrighty on April 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM

But, but, but … It’s.The.Law.

Not even the most deluded Commie Statists (and that would include you) believe any of that, Kathleen …

ShainS on April 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Now, she can begin to make some REAL money.

vnvet on April 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I’m quite sure Pharaoh Obama will be replacing her with someone every bit as competent.

VorDaj on April 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

K Street awaits with open arms, I’m sure.

Sadly, I think you’re right.

rbj on April 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

The American people want their $600 million dollar website refund, Seeby.

locomotivebreath1901 on April 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

What this poor set upon women did was all because of love. – Jeb the Lunatic

VorDaj on April 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It’s all in how you phrase it.

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

OmahaConservative on April 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

She wasn’t pushed out. She did her job like the good lefty soldier she is. She took much of the heat off Obama and made Mooch’s friends rich. Her job was pure Cloward-Piven, screw everything up as to usher in single payer. She stuck around and generated phony enrollment numbers for propaganda purposes. She made sure Obama got his ‘victory lap’ and Democrats will be able to refocus for the mid-terms because Low Information Voters have short attention spans. She’ll probably get a job in OFA or some other left-wing group or business attached to Obama. She’s set for life. This interview is BS.

Corporal Tunnel on April 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Destroying the Country standing beside a Marxist isn’t ever easy….
Ms. Death…….

Electrongod on April 13, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Shooting at a community center in Kansas

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM

If you like your position in Obama’s Marxist Politburo, you can keep your position in Obama’s Marxist Politburo… NOT!

ConstantineXI on April 13, 2014 at 7:06 PM

She is a monster who was close friends with Tiller the Killer. Abortion is her sacrament… OmahaConservative on April 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Akzed on April 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM

It’s all in how you phrase it.

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

“So you’re saying I’m out of a job?”

“No, no, that’s not it. That’s not it at all. You can still work. Just not here.”

Lolo on April 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM

For the rest of her life…

d1carter on April 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Okay so why did you just a couple weeks ago say that you were here through November?

I hate liars as much as I do whores from Kansas who would do nothing as a child dies by arbitrary organ transplant laws.

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Akzed on April 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Perfect. Where she gets the balls to present herself at RC altars for Holy Communion is beyond me…

OmahaConservative on April 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM

It doesn’t matter what you say now, kathy. I won’t forget your name no matter where you go.

wolly4321 on April 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Tracinski thinks that this trial could be the “trial of the century.” Why? Because “it may determine, not merely whether the environmentalists can shut down industrial civilization, but whether they can shut down the independent thinking of skeptical dissidents.”

davidk on April 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM

She reminds of the high school teacher that always gave me the creeps.

jake-the-goose on April 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM

The Defenestration of Sebelius is complete.

myiq2xu on April 13, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I don’t think she had all her notes.

CW on April 13, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Not sorry to see her go. I hope she knows where enough bodies are buried to necessitate the sleeping with one eye open.

battalion on April 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Sebelius: I wasn’t pushed out — staying just “wasn’t an option”

Will the double talk never cease?

Yeah, the last place I was let go from felt the same way. In so many words: “We really just want you to participate in Medicare/Medicaid fraud to enhance our revenue stream so people like you and others can continue to work here so we can continue to help the people in this community.”

I’ve never seen a group of people so busy trying to tell everyone else that what one is seeing/hearing is not really what you are seeing/hearing. In psychology terms, that’s called “mind rape.” It’s what wife beaters often use: “No, I’m not beating you. If I didn’t care about you so much, I wouldn’t do this. I’m just trying to show you how much I really, really love you.”

avagreen on April 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I didn’t get a divorce, staying married just wasn’t an option…

I didn’t get arrested, staying out of jail just wasn’t an option…

albill on April 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Corporal Tunnel on April 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

You nailed it. Perfect.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.

lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

You got one right at last mofo.

slickwillie2001 on April 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

So she basically failed at running the administration’s attempt to take over 1/6th of the economy and it’s only a matter of time before the rest of her statements are revealed to be lies and exaggerations. Millions of dollars have been wasted under her watch and millions have lost their coverage as well. I just wonder if she knew before taking this post that she was going to end up having to lie to the American people over and over and over and over again or if at some point she’s going to try and distance herself from the administration or write a tell all book.

scalleywag on April 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

davidk on April 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Thank you for that link!

avagreen on April 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM

If the GOP attacks her (not holding my breath), they’ll be accused of the “WAR ON WOMEN!!!” stuff.

SouthernGent on April 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Now go sign up for Obamacare, Sebelius.

racquetballer on April 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Sebelius: I wasn’t pushed out — staying just “wasn’t an option”

Sounds like paratrooper training in the military.

slickwillie2001 on April 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Cheeers!

Corporal Tunnel on April 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

One to many e’s – sorry about that. It already sounds like I’m drunk.

Corporal Tunnel on April 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM

It isn’t about Sebelius. It’s about Obamacare.

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Well, at least she no longer suffers from “job lock”.

Koyodiak on April 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I didn’t turn retard, keeping a good iq just wasn’t an option.

dmacleo on April 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

The Former Highness of Health Care is still good at slinging bullshit.

GarandFan on April 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM

K Street awaits with open arms, I’m sure.

Sadly, I think you’re right.

rbj on April 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Pretty sure K Street requires either intelligence or popularity.
Since Kathy’s absent both… I happily disagree.

a5minmajor on April 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM

K Street awaits with open arms, I’m sure.

Sadly, I think you’re right.

rbj on April 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I think she’ll go back to Germany.

slickwillie2001 on April 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM

And she goes out LYING–to the bitter end.

stukinIL4now on April 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Now she can go back to keeping R.P. McMurphy and the other patients from watching the World Series.

StubbornGreenBurros on April 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM

“I didn’t advocate killing anyone, but not being the Queen of Death wasn’t an option.”

22044 on April 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

But he said Mr. Trudeau’s claims for his weight-loss program were not as blatantly false as those made about Obamacare by the president and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.

Ms. Sebelius has lied so often and so obviously she’s become the “Baghdad Bob of health insurance,” said National Review Editor Rich Lowry.

The outgoing HHS secretary was “evasive and perhaps misleading” when she told his committee March 12 she doesn’t know how many of those who’ve signed up for Obamacare have paid their first month’s premium, said the chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services requires insurers to inform it each month of “the full enrollment and payment profile” of those who’ve signed up, said Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich.

When it’s done under oath, lying to Congress is a felony. Ms. Sebelius wasn’t sworn-in then and now is unlikely ever to be, having announced her resignation Friday.

If a private citizen can be sentenced to 10 years in prison for making false and misleading statements on broadcast television, why, Mr. Humphries asks, can government officials lie with impunity?

No one was forced to buy Mr. Trudeau’s book, he notes. When “shipping and handling” are added in, people who bought it were only out about $30.

People who don’t buy an Obamacare policy could be fined hundreds, in some cases thousands of dollars.

Chiefly because of Obamacare, health insurance premiums for policies bought outside the Obamacare exchanges this year are 39 percent higher, on average, for individuals, and 56 percent higher for families, according to a study by eHealthinsurance, a private online insurance exchange.

“The court said Mr. Trudeau owes $37 million in damages,” Mr. Humphries said. “That’s nothing compared to Obamacare. The (Healthcare.gov) website cost almost a billion dollars, and it’s a complete disaster.”

Fallon on April 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Pretty sure K Street requires either intelligence or popularity.
Since Kathy’s absent both… I happily disagree.

a5minmajor on April 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM

K Street requires nothing more than someone having an ‘in’ with people of consequence in politics. Unless she is utterly toxic to politicians and bureaucrats that have some power, she has value to folks on K Street, unfortunately.

Midas on April 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Sebelius is the designated scapegoat, although no one will say so publicly.

But the website rollout never had a chance. The White House demanded detailed approval of almost everything, but refused to make ANY decisions from late 2011 until after the election, for fear that if details got out it would affect Obama’s reelection (ya THINK?). So they took a project planned for a little over 2 1/2 years, put it on hold after about three months for a 15 month campaign, then gave them about 16 months to do it.

Now, a private company wouldn’t have had any problem doing it in half that time, but turn it into a government project and give the political people in the White House veto power over every semicolon and picture, and they never had a chance.

The website was a screw-up because Obama put his reelection ahead of it.

Adjoran on April 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM

The website was a screw-up because Obama put his reelection ahead of it.

Adjoran on April 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Reminds me of that Benghazi fiasco.

BigAlSouth on April 14, 2014 at 5:57 AM

“There is NO evidence whatsoever that anyone has ever lost a job as a result of ObamaCare” (K.Sebelius – March 11, 2014)

/slashies

CaveatEmpty on April 14, 2014 at 6:55 AM

She’ll make millions as a health care lobbyist. Who knows better how to work the system?

PattyJ on April 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Stubborn

I saw Ms Fletcher at Marseilles (44th and 9th) the other day. She looked a lot mellower, but without the hat it’s not really apples/apples.

cosifantutte on April 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I had forgotten this fiasco in Kansas, of which Sebelius played a great part. I remember the event: I had just forgotten the Governor at the time…….Sebelius.

avagreen on April 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

She deserves every brick thrown at her because of ^^^^^.
Here, let me throw a ton more……!

avagreen on April 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM