Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on April 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

Public health experts have a list of possible solutions that fall outside the most fractious debates over firearms. Stephen Teret, a public health expert at Johns Hopkins University, has pushed for the engineering of “smart guns,” which could only be fired by their owners: No more weapons finding their way into the black market, or becoming deadly playthings in the hands of children. (The NRA has fought the new technology.) Teret’s idea would address both intentional and accidental gun hazards, but there are lots of ways to approach the latter—from mandated child safety locks, to features that would make it more obvious if a weapon was loaded.

***

ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER: I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get past those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe by making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.

It’s those kinds of things that I think we want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights, while at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis.

***

Think of it as iPhone technology for your handgun. Within the year, a new form of biometric authentication for “smart guns” is expected to hit store shelves for $300.

“The key is reliability,” Detroit engineer Omer Kiyani toldCNN of his product, Indentilock. When Mr. Kiyani was a teenager he was shot in the face with an unsecured firearm and has used that experience to create something he feels will save lives…

“The main point of firearms ownership is home defense, and home defense means quick access,” he said. “… But the other side of that is accidents. … I’m a gun victim, a gun owner, and I have children. I came up with something that fits my needs.”

***

Even if all goes to plan, Kiyani’s will not be the first smart gun system to hit the U.S. market. In February, German firm Armatix launched its iP1 pistol that uses a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip activated by the owner’s watch, and the competition is growing.

Directives from the White House to promote development of safety technology in the wake of school shootings have led to a surge of innovation. There is now an increased appetite and funding for a field that had stalled since the earlier designs in the 1970s. The boldest statement is an open challenge from The Smart Tech Foundation. It was created by Silicon Valley angel investor Ron Conway and serial entrepreneur Jim Pitkow in response to the Sandy Hook shootings and is making $1 million in prizes available for development of the best ideas.

The Foundation claims to have received over 200 entrants after the first month of the submission period, everything from concept stage to working prototype. Designs include electronic ammunition, remote controls and RFID chips buried in the owner’s skin…

But a recent poll from the National Shooting Sports Foundation found that just 14% of Americans are likely to buy a smart gun, and the majority believe they are unreliable. Many gun rights advocates are hostile to the concept, arguing it is a ploy for gun control and is against the Second Amendment. Some gun advocates also argue that the electronics could be hacked by criminals. Opposition to Armatix’s launch has reportedly been strong enough that it forced the vendor to withdraw its products. The California store which announced it would be selling Armatix products swiftly distanced itself from them following a severe backlash from gun rights activists.

***

The Oak Tree Gun Club in Santa Clarita, California, which was briefly associated with the Armatix smart gun, is now rapidly backpedaling away from the fledgling technology as fast as it can.

“Our facility does NOT carry the Armatix pistol, never has,” officials with Oak Tree told one media outlet on Feb 27. This was just a week after James Mitchell, the “extremely pro-gun” owner of the Oak Tree Gun Club, boasted to the Washington Post that his firearms shop was the only outlet in the country selling the Armatix iP1…

Oak Tree’s Facebook page has been under a steady barrage of negative comments from those upset with the store’s apparent association with Armatix for weeks. These comments run from, “You have betrayed the shooting community on a national level. Hope you enjoy the 30 pieces of silver you got from Armatix,” to, “You have just lost me, my friends, and my family as a customer. How dare you support those who would take our rights from us?”

***

Technological tricks are par for the course for anti-rights gun banning autocrats. Technology becomes a tool to ban things – just mandate a feature for “safety” (especially when it’s the antithesis of safe) and suddenly all the things they want to ban can be banned in the name of “safety”. Then soon enough the last thing wasn’t “safe” enough, and it can be banned, too…

The same Department of Justice that sent guns to Mexican narcoterrorist cartels now wants a third of a billion dollars to spend to target you and your rights. Eric Holder brought plenty of “safety” to Mexico and the border, and then hushed it up afterwards.

***

I’ve discussed in the past that the Armatix iP1/iW1 combination is a dangerously unreliable, imminently-hackable, seriously under-powered, and prohibitively expensive gimmick.

I’ve also made the argument that imposing an $1,800 pistol/watch combo upon the citizenry by executive mandate or legislation is inherently racist as the equivalent of a poll tax, designed to economically disenfranchise those most likely to live in high-crime-rate neighborhoods, who are disproportionately minorities.

But for all the iP1/iW1 combination’s faults, I’ve seen nothing that hints that it is designed as a tracking device, nor did the Attorney General mentioned anything during the video-taped segment above indicating that he is interested in tracking guns.

If anything, Operation Fast and Furious, Gunwalker, and the various other gun-smuggling plots (up to ten in five cities) of the Department of Justice prove that the Obama Administration has no interest in tracking guns… even after hundreds of civilians and a number of police officers in two nations die as a result.

***

James Burgh, an English Whig who empathized with the American project and whose writings were widely disseminated in the new country, put it more bluntly. “Most attractive to Americans,” Burgh wrote, “the possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave, it being the ultimate means by which freedom was to be preserved.” Which is to say that, beyond a limited role in interstate regulation, the nature of the firearms that the public owns is none of the government’s damned business, and the suggestion that the citizenry might install GPS trackers and functionality disablers in their weapons is so self-evidently absurd as to inspire sardonic laughter and little else besides.

Holder’s faith in technology is touching. There currently exists a grand total of one “smart” gun — an expensive German product that comes only in a weak caliber that is wholly unsuitable for self-defense. Indeed, as Guns.com’s Max Slowik observes, the very idea of magically “safe” firearms remains something of a “myth”:

“Smart guns introduce a layer of complexity that brings along with it several points of failure. They are battery-operated and generally default to safe. They are not water resistant. Biometric scanners require a clean scanner and a clean scan, and cannot be used with gloves. Radio-based scanners can be spoofed or jammed, and because they’re linked to a ring or bracelet, can be used by anyone with access to the key. Both systems are not instantaneous; it takes time for the controller to disengage the safety.

“And they just don’t work 100 percent of the time. Which is precisely why both New Jersey and Maryland have enacted legislation that exempts them from being forced to issue smart guns to their police officers. For a target or recreational shooter, this might be OK. But for anyone who may want to use their gun for self-defense, police or otherwise, the failure rate inherent to smart guns — about one percent with the latest generation of smart safeties — is unacceptable. Smart guns aren’t.”

The attorney general, in other words, has his work cut out. Even if smart guns did live up their moniker, the “common use” standard outlined in the D.C. v. Heller decision would put paid to any legislation that might seek to back up the government’s enthusiasm with legal force. Put crudely: Unless the public wants it, this isn’t going anywhere, Eric. And, at the moment, at least, they do not.

***

Attorney General Eric Holder thinks government should force gun owners to wear special “identifying” bracelets?…

Eric, you can replace my identifying bracelets with your government marker when you pry them off my cold, dead wrists.

And, Eric, “You don’t want to go there, buddy.”

***

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Jaibones on April 13, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Listen to Ace of Spades podcast..Dana Perino is on it..I believe she said something about Gutfield’s height cost him a shot at becoming David Letterman’s replacement..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Nite Scrumps

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM

jrsrigmvr on April 13, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Could be..A certain Senator could be a “star” in this debacle..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Nite J. – nice to see you.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2014 at 12:31 AM

My Glock is offended by Mr. Holders insinuation that it is not “smart.”

And my AR is downright pissed….

Doc Holliday on April 13, 2014 at 12:32 AM

jrsrigmvr on April 13, 2014 at 12:24 AM

We are experiencing a lot of the same wave lengths. The Husband mentioned her today and she’s coming to St. Augustine with Willie but the only tickets left are over $200. I don’t want to see anybody that bad. I’m actually a metal head, the Husband is the country guy.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM

How much cole slaw has OC wolfed down by now?

viking01 on April 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Here’s hoping that it’s not the other way around. I don’t trust the goons for two seconds. The BLM’s new goon in chief is Reid’s boy.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2014 at 12:25 AM

What is very hopeful is all the people from clear across the country who were headed to NV to stand with the Bundys even at the risk of their own safety. I think maybe the movement has started. I thought the tea party, the mortorcycle rally in DC, the truckers in DC might spark the movement but it didn’t happen. Watching local news tonite I saw a parade of cowboys riding down I-15 and shutting it down in of all places Mesquite NV. It’s on. A damn rogue rancher from NV. Dirty Harry had best cash out while the gettin’s good.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 13, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Yeah, it was his height. My b.s. meter just pegged out. That’s why CBS got rid of Sharyl Attkisson, she was too short.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM

jrsrigmvr on April 13, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I think while people are in the rallying mood they should free California from the Delta Smelt.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM

I am with you..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM

For Cindy, not country

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM

I’ve got an idea–the value of a government agency seems to be related to how long it has existed. So lets get rid of them in the inverse order. first to go–DHS. Next–the department of Education. Think about it–what agency has ever improved the issue it was designed to address? I would of course spare the Air Force. The EPA could be gotten rid of and the few useful things it does rolled into the department of the interior. Good bye, department of Energy. Good bye, department of housing and Urban development, and so on. We can save billions, which is exactly why most of it will never happen–there are too many pigs at the trough.

Doc Holliday on April 13, 2014 at 12:42 AM

This isn’t finished. I slammed it together, trying to be done with Saturday. :) The pictures are raw, etc. And a lot of cool stuff (and the point of it) is missing: kids playing with “sex specific” toys, (including a plastic Ka-Bar, I should say) — some other things. It was basically the most politically incorrect, “America still exists” event anyone could imagine. But it will take some time to pixelate the kids’ faces, crop properly, etc.

I expected RWM tonight. I wanted her to see it. :) I mean, she’s actually in it. HA!

Adventures in Bossier City: Part 1

Adventures in Bossier City: Part 2

–K, done w/Saturday. It’s now officially Saturday night. Who wants to misbehave?

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Doc Holliday on April 13, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Dire…good evening….and to all the rest of you as well…:)

Doc Holliday on April 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Who wants to misbehave?

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Sounds like a plan..:)

PS..*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on April 13, 2014 at 12:26 AM

No, wait! I was missing you. I linked you Bohemian Rhapsody last night. Being able to keep up with you is the only thing I miss about my completely-nuked digital life. :)

I got serious about it, too. I don’t even have an email client installed anymore. I won’t until the end of the month, when I switch to mine. . .

Meh. No reading date with Sophie, no update from Jackie. It’s a good thing I stole beer at the boil.

Fridge run.

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM

SparkPlug on April 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Spark, are faries those that are far away?

Schadenfreude on April 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM

haha. I like nearies also.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 12:49 AM

PS..*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM

CLINK :)

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM

My Glock is offended by Mr. Holders insinuation that it is not “smart.”

Doc Holliday on April 13, 2014 at 12:32 AM

My Remington 12 gauge pump was nonplussed. We talked it through and I think he’s better now. To be frank, he isn’t very smart, but he is loyal and obedient. Much more important.

Jaibones on April 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Who wants to misbehave?

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I ate greasy chicken and wiped my hands on my pants.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Who wants to misbehave?

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Sounds like a plan..:)

PS..*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Too late for all that, but *clink* here’s to you all. A little Jameson as a sleep aid.

Goedenacht.

Jaibones on April 13, 2014 at 12:54 AM

jrsrigmvr on April 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Make mine a bit more crunchy.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I ate greasy chicken and wiped my hands on my pants.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Chicks dig bad boys.

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Dire Straits on April 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Good evening! I wonder why mean and liberal is more acceptable than nice and libertarian?

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM

thatsafactjack on April 13, 2014 at 12:08 AM

He didn’t hold up as well as Cary Grant but he is a cutie. I think the last thing I saw him in was the Ya Ya Sisterhood movie thing.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Does anyone think that with a digital, especially wireless digital, safety on a gun that there won’t be a government override put in? Whether it’s advertised as wireless or not, potentially.

Before SWAT teams break in your door, all they have to do is throw a switch. In times of rioting they will be able to disarm whole districts, just as they already do with cell phones. They can already turn on and off your cell phones without your knowledge.

And what will the wireless wrist watches become? Status symbols? Or evidence of carrying to would-be gun thieves and muggers. In states where concealed carry is legal but open carry is not, will the visibile of the watch make you violate the concealment law?

And what happens when the batteries go bad? Will it be powered by sweat? Or, of course, what if you are injured and your wife has to pick up the gun? And come to think of it, how many users will the government permit the manufacturers to allow?

Ultimately, this will eventually lead to the government being able to take away your gun without touching it.

flicker on April 13, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Make mine a bit more crunchy.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM

You are a wild one, and with that I leave you with this

pf-high hopes

Good nite all

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM

flicker on April 13, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I haven’t given it anymore thought than it’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. Let’s say you have to have one of these bracelets to fire a gun, would the wackazoids be any less like to get that kind of gun than the current type? And if the police could turn it off, they still are there during these mass killings so when seconds matter, the people with the jammer are still minutes away. I must be missing something because don’t see how they change anything. So like you’ve pointed out, it only seems to be a tool for possible disarmament. These people “think” to much.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 1:19 AM

This thread’s sleepy. Fine. I’ll go outside. There has to be something out there that needs singing to. — I bet I can jump my truck. Five bucks. Here, watch my beer. BBAJT

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Hey EWM are you still around? A strange part of the Gold Butte puzzle just was dropped on me. Would like to discuss it with you.

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Just to be sure, I went back and dug up my Constitution and read the 2nd Amendment again carefully.

Nope, no mention of any “smart” technology, locks, childproofing – none of it.

←→═╤

I am still willing to bet that Eric Holder gets a free and complete pardon from Obama on the latter’s last day or week in office.

Adjoran on April 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Stupid keyboard… RWM…

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Adjoran on April 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Smart and the federal government are not compatible.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 1:31 AM

epic fail

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 1:32 AM

God Save Us From Idiots And Fools” – Many People

IN THE FIRST PLACE, GOD MADE IDIOTS. THAT WAS FOR PRACTICE. THEN HE MADE SCHOOL BOARDS.”

– MARK TWAIN

williamg on April 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM

i think my face is too warm

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM

i think my face is too warm

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Ha ha… I have you in my sights now…

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Aces High

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Who wants to misbehave?

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 12:43 AM

…….or, more appropriately, who wants to STOP “misbehaving”?

…….Hint: “Not me”…..

williamg on April 13, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Ha ha… I have you in my sights now…

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM

We need our girl to get out of bed and get her ass in here. :) You need to discuss politics — Man, have you had this Seagr@m — Nevermind. Doesn’t matter. And I need to show here her crawfish boil place setting. HA! If she’s in bed. She might have gone out. Ironically, that might be the best for both of us because it would mean she’ s up.

Holy cow.

I’m going to go dsrink some water.

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Opps. *her, drink.

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:00 AM

What the heck……”The Story of ‘Ripple’….”

williamg on April 13, 2014 at 1:58 AM

i will now enjoy your documentary

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM

What the heck……”The Story of ‘Ripple’….”

williamg on April 13, 2014 at 1:58 AM

i was going to, but now i’m not. i’m going outside.

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM

meant that to be a quote

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM

I’m going to go dsrink some water.

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Sheesh Axefellow, that stuff will kill you, especially when you get the EPA bill…

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:08 AM

good evening HA children of the night..

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Hi G2M!
And goodnight, to all.
gotta go to work in the morning.
The theme of the weekend has been COPD exacerbations.
Weird how these things come in waves….

Doc Holliday on April 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM

good evening HA children of the night..

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Axe is in serious need of an intervention, he’s drinking the water again… <— Insert devious look of concern here…

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM

hi Doc…night Doc…sleep well..

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM
evening ow
again?…something just aint right about that boy…
I think its spring…
the birds…. bees….the whole bit..

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:29 AM

has he got any idea how harmful for you h2o can be??

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:30 AM

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM
evening ow
again?…something just aint right about that boy…
I think its spring…
the birds…. bees….the whole bit..

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:29 AM

Could be, could be, but that incessant water drinking can come to no good.

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM

I used 5 different power tools today. Can you say that without lying?

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM

has he got any idea how harmful for you h2o can be??

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:30 AM

I’ve tried to warn him, be he insists on checking with magic 8 ball, and magic 8 ball keeps lying to him.

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:32 AM

bty ow
I read your posts today in the Bundy deal..
agreed..
the government just isn’t going to ‘play nice’ in an afternoon..
not the last act in this play…

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM

I used 5 different power tools today. Can you say that without lying?

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Depends entirely on how you define “Power Tool”. Let’s see, Cell phone, requires power, can be described as a tool. Computer, requires power, can be described as a tool, coffee pot, requires power, can be described as a tool, DVD player, requires power, can be described as a tool, Automobile, requires power, can be described as a tool, ummm, yup…

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:35 AM

bty ow
I read your posts today in the Bundy deal..
agreed..
the government just isn’t going to ‘play nice’ in an afternoon..
not the last act in this play…

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Yup, I don’t truth them, they are up to something.

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:36 AM

SparkPlug on April 13

sadly no…hangs head…
I am very proud of ya..!!
its always a good thing to still got all your fingers…
got all ten?

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Yup, I don’t truth trust them, they are up to something.

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:36 AM

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:36 AM

got all ten?

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Nope, I only have 8, but I also have two thumbs, so it evens out…

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:37 AM

oscarwilde on April 13, 2014 at 2:32 AM

perhaps hes just out of good scotch.

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:41 AM

spark = going amish

i will assimilate you with a high-tech virticle reality

no, i can do this

i will assimilate you with a high-tech virtual reality

i will laser beam you into the matrix and

no, i will beam you into the twilight zone, and it will be an episode where you are a tree and the lumberjacks come to make you into birch plywood and it ends with you shouting “noooooo! noooooo!” –because now you know how it feels.

someone link tainted love, please

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:41 AM

preesh

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM

i’ll do it myself

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Oscar was playing air guitar to Yoko Ono and digin it.

Oh that was mean.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 2:48 AM

someone link tainted love, please

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 2:41 AM

yesterday you had be looking at jiggling physics…
i’ll not fall for that again by looking at youtube for tainted love..
sorry

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Ok assimilate me into jiggle land were the virtual hotties all have real ones. I took b9 on a date and she asked me why we kept driving in circles over the same railroad tracks.

Little did she know it was to find out if she had real ones. They had a nice bounce. Definitely real.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 2:52 AM

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 2:36 AM

It’s Ok no shame for you since you are a wood wizard but some other piker will get the fuming tent.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2014 at 3:01 AM

SparkPlug on April 13

now that the snow has finally melted here..the temps up a bit
I am about to put my fuming tent back up and to good use…
I have three quarter sawn oak cases I made during the winter ready for fuming…
(I did tell you NEVER fume indoors…didn’t I?)

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 3:06 AM

with snipers in Nevada..
and guided missile destroyers in the black sea..
does the clown in the WH have any real plan at all..
or is he just off his diet since the WH chef split?

going2mars on April 13, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Because a system of mechanical levers to initiate a trigger clearly can’t be modified by someone with a file and a few hours.

blofeld42 on April 13, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Ukrainian forces have launched an operation against pro-Russian activists who seized a police station on Saturday, the interior minister says.

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the Kiev government was “demonstrating its inability to take responsibility for the fate of the country”.

But the US said there had been a “concerted campaign” by forces with Russian support to undermine the authorities in Kiev.

Carl Bildt Foreign Minister of Sweden tweets: It was a coordinated armed action to seize control over key parts of Eastern Ukraine yesterday. Would not have happened without Russia.

kcewa on April 13, 2014 at 4:02 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. One more nice day here. I don’t know if I’ll be outside. I have to clean.

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Have to wonder how the circuits handle a short range EMP?

By a device constructed to generate one.

Used by a crook to cook the electronics in your house.

Or the federal government to do the same.

Then the gun is very ‘safe’.

You, however, are not.

ajacksonian on April 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM

I happened to catch Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee on CSPAN this morning. They both make good speeches. I wish they would all do something instead of just making speeches. I’m results oriented. I can’t help but wonder what Cruz is actually doing to try to fix things. I know he’s in a minority but I never hear anything but what the bad old government is doing.

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 7:05 AM

You, however, are not.

ajacksonian on April 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Right. You don’t want to be connected to the government any more than you have to.

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Any gun company that begins to produce these should immediately be boycotted.

TX-96 on April 13, 2014 at 7:33 AM

crankyoldlady on April 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Morning COL. Got up to 80 yesterday and the front yard is good to go for spring. Now it will be getting the backyard into shape and maybe getting around to the garage. Only 4 hours and 14 minutes till beer thirty.

HonestLib on April 13, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Next thing you know, they’ll come up with guns that only shoot criminals!

/good series, by the way…

ScoopPC11 on April 13, 2014 at 7:55 AM

OK, cleaned up. :) For fun. One Saturday in Louisiana.

Adventures in Bossier City
Part 1: Circumlocution

Alcohol helps me with crawfish boils, so I immediately located some.

This picture is really about the fifty caliber round turned bottle opener, though. Be advised that when you open a beer with a fifty caliber round, it stays opened.

Adventures in Bossier City
Part 2: To Business!

A healthy alternative was provided for kids too young to take the spice.

Correct. Spaghettios and grapes.

. . . will be off repairing damage. There has to be an aspirin around here somewhere.

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Blessed Sabbath, Patriots! And, Trolls.

We are never defeated unless we give up on God

- Ronald Reagan

My take: A Sunday Morning Reflection on God, Family, and Country

kingsjester on April 13, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Axe on April 13, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Saw that earlier in the thread and thanks for the clean-up and repost. Still suck the head and bite the tail and used to get fueled up on Friday night in Lafayette at Prejeans. Thanks for posing and reminding me of a time long ago. Time for some Radiators to sing suck the head. Where is my 30 pack of Bud.

HonestLib on April 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM

The vast majority of child deaths by firearm are due to poor parenting. Start putting negligent parents in prison and watch the problem disappear.

Old eagle on April 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM

If a criminal came at you with a gun only he could fire then even if you were brave enough and lucky enough to wrest the gun from him only he could fire it. Guess you could throw it at him and run like hell.

Herb on April 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM

williamg on April 13, 2014 at 1:42 AM

I did not. I love history.

Cindy Munford on April 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Have to wonder how the circuits handle a short range EMP?

By a device constructed to generate one.

ajacksonian on April 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Is there any kind of “smart” safety that wouldn’t use a micro-processor? If not, then any EMP generator (or for that matter, any natural EMP pulse) could permanently fry the system.

How big would the capacitor of a close-range combat EMP generator have to be? The size of one or two D batteries? Could be carried on a belt next to the pepper spray.

flicker on April 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Excerpt from an upcoming article Interview With a Two-bit Hood:

“I was in this bar sitting next to a man wearing a medium-quality wristwatch — by Glock! A ‘Glock clock’ we call them. And on his right pinky he had a ring with a seal that looked just like the Smith & Wesson symbol. I knew he was carrying. So I waited outside until he left and knocked him over the head. Took his Glock, and sure enough, he had a Smith on his right ankle. I took ‘em both. Then I took his wallet to make it look like all I was interested in was his credit cards. I do it all the time.”

flicker on April 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Is oscarwilde the banned commenter SWalker?

bluegill on April 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I did nothing at first. I remained still uncertain that the noise I heard was breaking glass. But when I heard foot steps, I quickly moved to a sitting position at the side of my bed. I immediately looked toward the nightstand drawer where I knew I could find my pistol. As I stared, I knew the gun would be of no use. It was a smart gun that would only work when I wore the accompanying bracelet and it was on the coffee table in the living room. Just then the intruder walked into the bedroom. He fired four shots. I was dead.

randy on April 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM