Finally. Bradley Manning to Grand Marshal gay pride parade

posted at 8:31 am on April 12, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

So there’s a name you haven’t heard in a while, eh? Bradley Manning is still cooling his heels at Fort Leavenworth, serving a 35 year sentence for violating his oath and releasing the nation’s classified documents. But his organization of supporters (now renamed The Chelsea Manning Support Network) remains busy on his behalf. In one of their latest, breaking news announcements, we find that the San Francisco gay pride parade organizers are going to correct a “mishandling” of administrative details from last year and provide a “proper honor” in 2014 by naming him an Honorary Grand Marshal.

Today, the nation’s largest Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride Celebration Committee announced on its website that WikiLeaks whistle-blower Chelsea Manning has been chosen to represent the event as a 2014 Honorary Grand Marshal.

Manning thanked the San Francisco Pride Committee from Fort Leavenworth military prison, declaring, “As a trans* woman, I appreciate the Pride movement’s significant role in bringing together diverse communities and elevating the public profile of the fight for queer rights. I have always enjoyed attending Pride celebrations given the opportunity, and I’m deeply honored to receive this title.” Manning explained that she prefers “Trans*” (with an asterisk) to denote not only transgender men and women, but also those who identify outside of a gender binary.

(The full list of marshals is available here, since you clearly need to be up to date on such things.)

But that’s not all that’s been going on. Apparently Manning has been working with an artist named Alicia Neal in an effort to illustrate how she sees herself, and wishes to look after receiving treatment for gender dysphoria. I know you’re all just dying to know, so here’s the visual.

ChelseaManning

Yes, it seems that Manning is busy working on two different fronts. One is to get some form of hormone treatment on the taxpayer dime for gender dysphoria. The other is to continue pushing for a pardon so he can head on home. (And presumably make it to San Francisco in time to lead the parade.) But in addition to all of that, there are still court activities taking place, as Fox News reports. Next on the docket is a request for a legal name change.

The Army private who was tried and convicted as Bradley Edward Manning for leaking U.S. secrets to WikiLeaks is petitioning a Kansas court for a name change, to Chelsea Elizabeth Manning.

Leavenworth County District Court has scheduled an April 23 hearing on the request, according to a Leavenworth Times legal notice sent Wednesday to The Associated Press by a spokesman at Fort Leavenworth, where Manning is serving a 35-year sentence. The petition was filed Jan. 27 and published March 1 after it was submitted by Manning’s lawyer, David Coombs of Providence, R.I.

Coombs didn’t immediately respond to questions about the petition. Manning said in an October letter to supporters that Coombs would help her with the name change.

So… that happened. And now you’re up to date on all the latest Chelsea Manning news. No need to thank me… I’m just making sure you’re all in the loop. And I knew you wouldn’t want to miss it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Calling a man “she”, regardless of his level of insanity, is ridiculous, and every time you do it, it breaks down society a little.

Count to 10 on April 12, 2014 at 8:38 AM

What a fugly chick he is…

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Bless his/her heart.

kevinkristy on April 12, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Federal inmates shouldn’t have the rights to petition the courts for something this frivolous…

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Just more evidence that gay activists are cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

Stoic Patriot on April 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM

We didn’t need any further proof that the ‘gay pride’ movement is about leftism, and not being gay. But here it is anyway.

Fenris on April 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I’d like to know what he does all day besides draw pictures of himself as a girl. Is he breaking rocks in the hot sun? Does he have a cell mate?

Blake on April 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM

What a fugly chick he is…

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM

That’s supposed to be a chick?!?

Fenris on April 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Sorry, but if you have a Y chromosome to go along with your X, the question of your gender is settled.

gryphon202 on April 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM

When do Holder and Bams go on trial for violating their oaths of office? As for Manning, who cares about a jailed criminal… unless the convict escapes of course.

31giddyup on April 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Looks like a long-lost relative of the Partridge Family.

RedRedRice on April 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM

A traitor to his country and his gender.

JohnBrown on April 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Caligula’s Horse approves.

kingsjester on April 12, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Jazz: I could have lived w/o this update…

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Mental illness.

Mimzey on April 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I just hurled.

kingsjester on April 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I find it inconceivable that, except in rare cases of mutation, a person’s gender is in question and climate change is settled science.

mchristian on April 12, 2014 at 9:08 AM

UGH!

Concise Art criticism for the day.

workingclass artist on April 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Isn’t that sweet (dripping with sarcasm)

crosshugger on April 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Count to 10 on April 12, 2014 at 8:38 AM

End the confusion, call similar bipeds “it.”

Annar on April 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Bradley looked more like a woman before he, uh, “transed” into a “woman”.

Total freak show.

Pork-Chop on April 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM

OT- how about a thread on what’s going down in Nevada at the Bundy Ranch?

Even the alphabets are covering it, so it’s PC now to talk about it.

On topic- Manning? I really don’t care. Hopefully there’s a prison shank in his future.

wolly4321 on April 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM

It is a choice, they are not born that way.

crosshugger on April 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I really like that picture of Chelsea- it reminds me of a boy I went to a concert with in 1971, only we were wearing more beads and fringes.

****

The insanity of these people is summed up in that phrase “those who identify outside of a gender binary.”

I mean real insanity, as in psychosis. That phrase is indicative of a deep break with reality and a major dysfunction in body imaging. These are the people who search out gun free zones, and afterwards we say “Oh why did’t someone reach out and ensure they got mental health care??!”

Pless1foEngrish on April 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Why do we have to pay for his gender change meds??

ImmigrantsWife on April 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM

He is being used as a girl behind the walls so give him the name change.It won’t make any difference to the users.

docflash on April 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

In other news….

“Transgender female Twitter engineer, 32, is charged with raping her estranged wife the day after serving her with divorce papers…”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2602740/Transgender-female-Twitter-engineer-charged-raping-estranged-wife.html#ixzz2yg5bMOS1

workingclass artist on April 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Lets try to woo these gentle souls into voting for Republicans. Let’s sell our souls to do it.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

“. . . I appreciate the Pride movement’s significant role in bringing together diverse communities and elevating the public profile of the fight for queer rights.”

There’s that word again. Wherever I see it, whenever I see it, I know exactly who had to be excluded to reach such diversity.

Lolo on April 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM

They hang traitors, don’t they?

locomotivebreath1901 on April 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

It’s our fault that they don’t vote for our candidates. If we were only more accepting and tolerant like them…

29Victor on April 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Fenris on April 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM

It’s also about hatred of religion, and the specific and avowed goal to destroy it.

Rebar on April 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM

. . . those who identify outside of a gender binary.

Hold on a minute. What?

I’ve been away from the U.S. for some time, but have I forgotten how to speak the language?

Lolo on April 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

29Victor on April 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Yep. I certainly agree.

Let’s start with being more tolerant of people releasing classified documents pertaining directly to deployed American units, their equipment and current/future operations from specific FOBs.

The man should have been executed. He released information that very easily might be responsible for Coalition lives being lost.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Slow news day, eh Jazz?

simkeith on April 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM

You know, I’m more than a little sick of all this.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

You know, I’m more than a little sick of all this.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Dittoes…

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM

And the artist even got in a touch of five o’clock shadow…

Wethal on April 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Maybe he/she could become a prison rat for the Feds, look what it did for Al Sharpton’s life.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Wethal on April 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM

It’s the outdoorsy type.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Odd on bet is that he’d she’d love to dress up like Minnie Mouse.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM

A traitor to his country and his gender.

JohnBrown on April 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM

And his species.

You know, I’m more than a little sick of all this.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I’m far more than a lot sick of it. I avoid Pride Day like it’s the plague.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM

The 2014 Pride Committee explained that they’re acting to rectify a public controversy from last year, in which Manning had been elected a Grand Marshal but the honor was later revoked by the 2013 board of directors. The new Board President, Gary Virginia, stated:

SF Pride’s oversight of the Electoral College community grand marshal nomination and election process in 2013 was mishandled. Even with this controversy, thousands of Manning supporters in the 2013 Pride Parade represented the largest non-corporate, walking contingent in the parade. I want to publicly apologize to Chelsea Manning and her supporters on behalf of SF Pride, and we look forward to a proper honor this year.

Sounds like the nation’s largest Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride Celebration Committee wanted this two years in a row but were derailed by a “public controversy”.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Say, what’s a picture of Hillary doing on this post?

Glenn Jericho on April 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM

So this tool wants to lose his ‘tool’ so it can be another kind of ‘it’? I volunteer to do the surgery. I’ve got an old butcher knife rusting out in the backyard…

vnvet on April 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM

LOL! Might not be too bad if they would tone down the costumes and stop glorifying criminals. If they ever ask you, pass on the advice.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Only in America.

Robert_Paulson on April 12, 2014 at 9:53 AM

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM

It would have to be a better look than the one he’s going for.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM

When is Straight/Normal Pride Celebration?

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 9:55 AM

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Bigot! You’ll be told what is normal and like it.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM

vnvet on April 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I know some vets from OEF who would love to do the procedure.

free

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Snowden’s bride?

unclesmrgol on April 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Snowden’s bride?

unclesmrgol on April 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Great comment.

rlwo2008 on April 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I’m far more than a lot sick of it. I avoid Pride Day like it’s the plague.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM

You need to update your references from the 15th century.

I avoid Pride Day like it’s the plague AIDS.

LashRambo on April 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

You know, I’m more than a little sick of all this.

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Of course this is unfair to Peter Jackson and maybe to Hobbits…But Manning looks like a Hobbit extra.

workingclass artist on April 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

workingclass artist on April 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Bendo Baggins?

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Bendo Baggins?

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Heh…

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:53 AM

They don’t normally ask…I’m usually the one initiating most of the confrontations. And they’re the ones who walk away first, hands in the air, and telling me what an “Uncle Tom” traitor I am. “Self-loathing” comes up a lot.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

vnvet on April 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM

That scene towards the end of Hostel 2 comes to mind…

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Being “In the loop” if important unless that loop is at the end of a rope.
So thank you but no thank you.

Gwillie on April 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

workingclass artist on April 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Bendo Baggins?

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM

*snicker*

workingclass artist on April 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM

The drawing seems to indicate the ‘Chelsea” part of Bradley’s name came from a desire by Manning to look like late night show host Chelsea Handler. With a little Jan Brady thrown in.

jon1979 on April 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM

/barf

Asurea on April 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM

wish it were doing its crap when I was overseas, good chance I would have gotten to shoot it.

dmacleo on April 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

threadwinner.

dmacleo on April 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Snowden’s bride?

unclesmrgol on April 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Beat me to it, I was gonna say Snowden’s dreamgirl. Two peas in a traitorous pod.

thebrokenrattle on April 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Such class, throwing around the words “uncle Tom”.

thebrokenrattle on April 12, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Such class, throwing around the words “uncle Tom”.

thebrokenrattle on April 12, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Equal to the civil rights movement for Black Americans you know.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM

As somebody who is friends with a couple of transgendered individuals, I have mixed feelings about the whole Chelsea/Bradley Manning situation.

Here’s a little tutorial for you guys: A trans man was born with female body parts, but has the mindset of a male. A trans woman was born with male body parts, but has the mindset of a female. Through medication and surgery, trans people seek to match their mental and physical state together, and the transition period generally happens in the teens and 20s time period of their life. It generally doesn’t start in their 30s or higher.

What my trans fiends also tell me is that there’s a lot of “fakers” out there. These are people who wear the opposite clothing of their birth body parts for money, fun, or to get attention. This is where I am hesitant about Manning. Is she coming out as trans because she wants Obama to pardon her and public sympathy or because she truly feels she was born with the wrong body parts? I have a sneaky feeling, Chelsea is a faker.

btw, both my trans friends see Chelsea as a traitor and one of them wants to see her hanged, believe it or not.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM

As honorary grand poohbah for the parade, do they affix a life-size cutout of his artist’s rendering onto the back of a convertible to ride down the street?

This whole story is beyond ick.

tru2tx on April 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM

“Self-loathing” comes up a lot. JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

That’s appropriate.

Akzed on April 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Here’s a little tutorial for you guys: A trans man was born with female body parts, but has the mindset of a male. A trans woman was born with male body parts, but has the mindset of a female. Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM

So confusion can be solved by surgery…? The same crowd that gave us the lobotomy gave us this “cure.”

It’s not just “body parts” it’s DNA. No matter how much surgery some Frankenstein hack performs on someone so confused, the DNA don’t change.

Akzed on April 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM

no, a female was born with female body parts and resulting body chemistry. being insane doesn’t change that.
thinking if I flap my arms fast enough as I jump off a building doesn’t make me a bird, it makes me a full blown retard. and you never go full tard….never.

dmacleo on April 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Aside from the unnecessary histrionics relating to gender confusion, you said you had mixed feelings. I didn’t catch your mixed feelings within your comment. How would you describe them? Your mixed feelings I mean? You simply doubt he’s a real transgender?

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM

That’s appropriate.

Akzed on April 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Says the moron who thinks the Sandy Hook massacre didn’t happen, and that lasers pulverized the WTC on 9/11.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

threadwinner.

dmacleo on April 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

… and a very “sobering” threadwinner, to boot.

listens2glenn on April 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM

You simply doubt he’s a real transgender?

Yes. Think about it: She didn’t come out as “trans” while in the military or when she leaked classified information. She only came out AFTER being sentenced to prison. This comes across as very suspicious, and I really don’t think the trans community should really be embracing a despicable human being.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.

lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Schadenfreude on April 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Just as people will continue to get ugly tattoos, there will be people who get sex change operations. We just have to politely share the world with them. But we should not be paying for their tacky self-mutilation. We should not give a single inch the idea that it is a medical necessity to have a sex change when it was not even possible before the 1970′s (a guess and I not interested enough to actual google).

thuja on April 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM

There’s a thread for that. This ain’t it. But you’re confused about a lot of things.

Akzed on April 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM

You simply doubt he’s a real transgender?

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

There are pictures that prove he cross-dressed prior. I dunno. As far as the community embracing him, they either ignore or do.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM

People don’t believe crazy things because they are morons. They believe crazy thing because they are crazy. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there is a 9/11 truther with an IQ over 140.

thuja on April 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Akzed on April 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Transgender is a real disorder.

It’s not that the trans person is “confused,” as in, they don’t know if they are male or female, but they seek surgery in order to feel more comfortable in their own skin.

And yes, a trans man is a biological female, and a trans woman is a biological male, regardless of the operations they undergo. I am not going to dispute that point.

I really don’t see the big deal. If a trans man seeks surgery to make them look more like a biological man and build up their self-confidence and avoid committing suicide, why should you or I care? Let people live the way, they want to live.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Someone with a mental problem doesn’t need surgery. Can you think of any other cases where surgery is indicated for a mental problem?

Don’t you think that people confused about whether they are male or female need psychological help, not the knife, and to allow predatory surgeons to take advantage of them is malpractice? I know you don’t, just rhetorical.

Akzed on April 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Transgender is a real disorder.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Transgender is not a disorder. It’s a surgery that some people elect to have.

I’m fine with letting people do any stupid thing they want, but I don’t want to pay for it.

thuja on April 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM

My God! His mind must be like a 3 ring circus of cats and spiders.

faol on April 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I did see the picture of Manning wearing a wig and make-up, but that doesn’t necessarily prove she’s transgendered. My concern is the timing of this whole thing. Wouldn’t you agree?

My mindset about the transgendered is very simple: It’s America. If you want to be a girl, be a girl. If you want to be a boy, be a boy. I don’t care. If you’re not hurting anybody, I don’t care.

Should the prison system provide Chelsea with medical assistance? No. Sorry, you betrayed your country and put the lives of Americans at risk.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Well, if they would have just hung the sorry SOB…we wouldn’t have to put up with this crap.

BigWyo on April 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Transgender is a real disorder.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Absolutely agreed.

I don’t fully understand it…but it’s certainly real enough to those who experience it.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Transgender is not a disorder. It’s a surgery that some people elect to have.

thuja on April 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I don’t agree with your first two sentences. Look it up. It’s recognized nationally as a real disorder and something where people seek medical treatment.

But I do agree with your last statement. The federal government should not be funding Chelsea’s desired surgeries.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Absolutely agreed.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I don’t fully understand it either. I have heard some very disturbing and heartbreaking stories about gender disorder. For example, the trans women typically would ask their parents when they are between 2 to 10, why they have the P-word and don’t have beasts.

If people want to learn more about the disorder, go on youtube and watch the video about a girl named Jazz.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Do thou, O LORD, protect us,
guard us ever from this generation.
On every side the wicked prowl,
as vileness is exalted among the sons of men.

Ps. 12: 7-8

Cleombrotus on April 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Perhaps.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Would love to simply say I agree. The truth is he shouldn’t even still be processing O2 to where us paying for his boobies is in question. He gave away information directly pertinent to current operations in theater. He should be about 2 inches taller and room temperature at this point.

hawkdriver on April 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I dont care what IT is, I only see a traitor.Since IT put my fellow service members in danger from the secrets being smuggled out, then leaked, you dont think terrorists read wikileaks? IT no longer deserves anything, IT Should be executed for treason, treason is treason still, not matter WHO does it. Only thing lower than a thief is a traitor.

ninjacoastie on April 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I’ve seen a couple really good documentaries on transgendered…both adults and kids. There was one boy who, at a young age, went into the bathroom at home and was going to cut off his johnson. One might say it’s the parents who don’t get treatment for their kids, or they just aren’t stern enough, but that one documentary interviewed a few parents of kids that were so sure they had the wrong parts, and their stories really make a person think.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Exactly. It does make one think, and makes me wonder why people in our society would bash individuals who truly feel they were born with the wrong body parts. It’s a tough and expensive life for them. Why make it harder for them to live their life, the way they want to live.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Well, I’m obviously a trans-elevationist unary male. Being a short guy, with the mentality of a bigger and stronger male, I have suffered throughout life.

I demand the taxpayers fund my height change operation immediately. If this doesn’t happen, there are going to be a lot of knees being punched, and I can’t be held responsible!

ZeusGoose on April 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM