Finally. Bradley Manning to Grand Marshal gay pride parade

posted at 8:31 am on April 12, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

So there’s a name you haven’t heard in a while, eh? Bradley Manning is still cooling his heels at Fort Leavenworth, serving a 35 year sentence for violating his oath and releasing the nation’s classified documents. But his organization of supporters (now renamed The Chelsea Manning Support Network) remains busy on his behalf. In one of their latest, breaking news announcements, we find that the San Francisco gay pride parade organizers are going to correct a “mishandling” of administrative details from last year and provide a “proper honor” in 2014 by naming him an Honorary Grand Marshal.

Today, the nation’s largest Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride Celebration Committee announced on its website that WikiLeaks whistle-blower Chelsea Manning has been chosen to represent the event as a 2014 Honorary Grand Marshal.

Manning thanked the San Francisco Pride Committee from Fort Leavenworth military prison, declaring, “As a trans* woman, I appreciate the Pride movement’s significant role in bringing together diverse communities and elevating the public profile of the fight for queer rights. I have always enjoyed attending Pride celebrations given the opportunity, and I’m deeply honored to receive this title.” Manning explained that she prefers “Trans*” (with an asterisk) to denote not only transgender men and women, but also those who identify outside of a gender binary.

(The full list of marshals is available here, since you clearly need to be up to date on such things.)

But that’s not all that’s been going on. Apparently Manning has been working with an artist named Alicia Neal in an effort to illustrate how she sees herself, and wishes to look after receiving treatment for gender dysphoria. I know you’re all just dying to know, so here’s the visual.

ChelseaManning

Yes, it seems that Manning is busy working on two different fronts. One is to get some form of hormone treatment on the taxpayer dime for gender dysphoria. The other is to continue pushing for a pardon so he can head on home. (And presumably make it to San Francisco in time to lead the parade.) But in addition to all of that, there are still court activities taking place, as Fox News reports. Next on the docket is a request for a legal name change.

The Army private who was tried and convicted as Bradley Edward Manning for leaking U.S. secrets to WikiLeaks is petitioning a Kansas court for a name change, to Chelsea Elizabeth Manning.

Leavenworth County District Court has scheduled an April 23 hearing on the request, according to a Leavenworth Times legal notice sent Wednesday to The Associated Press by a spokesman at Fort Leavenworth, where Manning is serving a 35-year sentence. The petition was filed Jan. 27 and published March 1 after it was submitted by Manning’s lawyer, David Coombs of Providence, R.I.

Coombs didn’t immediately respond to questions about the petition. Manning said in an October letter to supporters that Coombs would help her with the name change.

So… that happened. And now you’re up to date on all the latest Chelsea Manning news. No need to thank me… I’m just making sure you’re all in the loop. And I knew you wouldn’t want to miss it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I just went full tard off my deck.
flapped as hard as I could, still not a bird.

dmacleo on April 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

What a disgrace.

bluegill on April 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM

My judgment on these and other matters is sooo good I need a psychoatrist and many attorneys and am changing my hormone cocktail makeup willy-nilly and live in federal prison.

Respect mah authoritaahh !

winoceros on April 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Don’t we still execute people who are convicted treason?

How did this man Bradley Manning not get convicted of treason?

bluegill on April 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM

dmacleo on April 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Are you okay?

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I haz a sad every day when I don’t wake up and look like Angelina Jolie. Think the government will help me out with that? Maybe if I pretend that I’m a victimized transgendered cisheteronormative that is being kept down by the patriarchy.

No, I have no idea what it means, but it is apparently a war cry of some of the more “special” amongst us.

kim roy on April 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I’ve seen a couple really good documentaries on transgendered…both adults and kids. There was one boy who, at a young age, went into the bathroom at home and was going to cut off his johnson. One might say it’s the parents who don’t get treatment for their kids, or they just aren’t stern enough, but that one documentary interviewed a few parents of kids that were so sure they had the wrong parts, and their stories really make a person think.

JetBoy on April 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Exactly. It does make one think, and makes me wonder why people in our society would bash individuals who truly feel they were born with the wrong body parts. It’s a tough and expensive life for them. Why make it harder for them to live their life, the way they want to live.

Frank T.J Mackey on April 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM

There will always be people who don’t like the “different”, but generally people are live and let live about things except when people think they are more special than others.

However, life isn’t fair. I have a bum shoulder. It has cost me money and limited my scope of work and enjoyment of life. Should I get my pain meds and treatment paid for by the citizenry like some want their gender surgeries and birth control?

There are many out there if given the time to think about it would have a grievance, but we just carry on and do what we do, like get appropriate insurance on our own, stay at jobs that provide it or pay it out.

It’s when people insist that the “collective” cover their “life is unfair” complaint is when you see people get their hackles up. Maybe we all need to leave each other alone, which also means that the aggrieved leave us alone, get their hands out of our pockets and their issues out of our face.

Two way street.

kim roy on April 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Are you okay?

Cindy Munford on April 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

no, I think I need taxpayer money to turn me cisavian or whatever its called :)

yeah I am ok, have spine and knee injuries so falling is a way of life for me now, you learn how not to bounce off the shoulders with bone anchors holding it together :)

dmacleo on April 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM

And now you’re up to date on all the latest Chelsea Manning news.

And yet, still nothing here about what’s been happening in Nevada.

xblade on April 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM

When is Straight/Normal Pride Celebration?

OmahaConservative on April 12, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Wording it like that implies that homosexuality is “abnormal”, and we’re supposed to be ASHAMED of calling it that … so I hear, anyway.

listens2glenn on April 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM

So he wants to go from looking like a twerp to a twerp with long hair.
Um,…okay…

SteveThomas on April 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM

She shore is purty

jaywemm on April 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM

…..if the person making this Post was any more of an idiot…..they’d be Barbara Streisand….

williamg on April 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM

That drawing is just him with long hair.

Not much imagination.

Sherman1864 on April 13, 2014 at 5:42 AM

So he wants to go from looking like a twerp to a twerp with long hair.
Um,…okay…