Video: Scott Brown makes it official in NH Senate race

posted at 10:41 am on April 11, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The worst-kept secret in midterm politics has finally passed its expiration date. Former US Senator Scott Brown, who represented Massachusetts after Ted Kennedy’s death, will run against New Hampshire incumbent Jeanne Shaheen in November, assuming he wins the GOP primary in the Granite State. Brown officially opened his campaign with a blast against ObamaCare, which he said forces New Hampshire voters to “live free or log on” rather than operate under the state motto of “live free or die”:

He accused Democratic incumbent Jeanne Shaheen of being a rubber stamp for President Barack Obama, and criticized her support for the federal health care overhaul law.

“It forces us to make a choice – live free or log on.  Right? Live free or log on.  And guess what?  Guess what? In New Hampshire, guess what we choose? We choose freedom,” Brown said.

Brown said if he goes back to Washington, he won’t be anyone’s yes man.

“We don’t just follow the crowd wherever it’s going. In government, especially in government, we expect more of ourselves than just to follow a party boss or a party line,” Brown said.

Brown expects to get attacked over his move from Massachusetts to New Hampshire, although he told WMUR that voters don’t mention it to him at all. Both Shaheen and other Republican primary opponents have taken aim at carpetbagging. Brown’s campaign tried reversing that on Shaheen at yesterday’s event:

Brown was introduced by former Gov. John H. Sununu, who called Shaheen Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s “favorite rubber stamp. She also happens to be Barack Obama’s favorite rubber stamp.”

“This is the third senator from Massachusetts.”

Even though Brown hadn’t officially entered the race, Shaheen’s campaign has been going after him in an attempt to either pre-empt his attacks or perhaps persuade him to sit out the midterms. A new Granite State poll from WMUR shows that it’s not working very well:

A new poll shows that as Republican Scott Brown prepares to officially announce he’s running for Senate in New Hampshire, he has gained some ground on U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen.

The WMUR Granite State Poll shows that Shaheen leads Brown 45 to 39 percent, with 14 percent undecided. In a January poll, Shaheen had a 10-point lead, 47 to 37 percent.

The poll of likely New Hampshire voters was conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center by landline and cellphone from April 1 through April 9 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

That’s not much of a gain, but the attempts by Shaheen to marginalize Brown over the last three months aren’t having any impact. At 45% and declining (slightly), Shaheen looks vulnerable — especially since the GOP hasn’t even selected its nominee yet. Brown has to pick up his favorability numbers, but he’s got plenty of upside in this poll and a change to change the unfavorability figure with a New Hampshire-focused campaign.

Comments

Such cute.

jaxisaneurophysicist on April 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Should be veddy intedestink.

vnvet on April 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM

He ought to invoke Hillary Clinton’s move to NY to run for Senate in response to those attacks…pretty sure the Dems didn’t mind that.

changer1701 on April 11, 2014 at 10:54 AM

So says this guy:

Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown bragged today that he is responsible for the Senate’s passage of the controversial Dodd-Frank bill that was opposed by his Republican colleagues.

climbnjump on April 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Cuz nothing says freedom like Dodd-Frank.

kringeesmom on April 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I’m in NH and I will NOT vote for that lying RINO.

evilned on April 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM

If NH doesn’t work out then Brown can always try Vermont in 2016.

These people, they just can’t separate themselves from the public trough, ever. Go away.

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM

He’s our best shot there. It should be an interesting race. At least it’ll make the Dems focus on and spend money on a race that they thought they had in the bag.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Some undecideds in such a poll before a primary are actually supporters of other primary candidates who do not want to boost Brown right now; but if he wins the primary, they will come on board. An incumbent well below 50% this early in a campaign is in trouble.

KW64 on April 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Cuz nothing says freedom like Dodd-Frank.

kringeesmom on April 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM

But, he will not vote for Harry Reid as Senate Majority Leader.

KW64 on April 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

He’s no Mike Lee, but almost certainly worlds better than Sheehan.

And if he can beat her whilst no other Republican can, then might as well.

Hows that for a ringing endorsement?

Vanceone on April 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

The fact that Scott Brown previously represented Massachusetts might be an advantage in this race. Most of the more populous southeast corner of New Hampshire is composed of people from Boston suburbs who moved to New Hampshire to escape high taxes in Massachusetts, and Scott Brown can understand them and appeal to them.

With Scott Brown’s opposition to Obamacare, he could get some help from New Hampshire’s other Senator Kelly Ayotte (R), who has pointed out that only one New Hampshire hospital accepts the only health insurance policy available under Obamacare, and that the largest hospital in Concord, the state capital, does not accept Obamacare.

Steve Z on April 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

…whilst…

Vanceone on April 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Carpetbagger detector alert! (just kidding)

Fenris on April 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Our?

Who is “our”?

By “our” do you mean conservatives or Republicans?

I am not a Republican. I am a conservative. Therefore if you are referring to “our” as a Republican, then he is definitely not on my side and I will not support him.’

It’s people like you, who treat this as a sporting event between sport teams with Democrat vs. Republican, that are part of the problem.

Just because he has an R next to his name doesn’t mean he isn’t a big government progressive, and voting for him would enable the big government progressive wing of the Republican party.

tcufrog on April 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

He’s no Mike Lee, but almost certainly worlds better than Sheehan.

And if he can beat her whilst no other Republican can, then might as well.

Hows that for a ringing endorsement?

Vanceone on April 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

A Big Government Progressive is still a Big Government Progressive, even with an R next to their name

tcufrog on April 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

But, he will not vote for Harry Reid as Senate Majority Leader.

KW64 on April 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

May not vote for him, but he sure did vote with him an awful lot.

kringeesmom on April 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I understand why some wouldn’t vote for him in the primary, but if he is the nominee and you still don’t vote for him, you’re screwing our chances at taking the Senate. So please be logical in November.

Xanatos90 on April 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM

If NH doesn’t work out then Brown can always try Vermont in 2016.

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM

And then what? Maine? Delaware?

Just stop already.

Ward Cleaver on April 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Such cute.

jaxisaneurophysicist on April 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Much pickup truck.

Very carpetbag.

So lame.

ElectricPhase on April 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM

tcufrog on April 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I’m a down-the-line conservative, and I know that there are only two viable parties, and the Republican Party is closer to my stances than the Democratic Party. If you don’t consider yourself a Republican, then the “our” doesn’t apply to you. I was talking to others who also consider themselves Republican. Do I agree with Scott Brown on everything? Absolutely not, but I also know that New Hampshire isn’t Utah, and I can’t expect someone too conservative to win there. Brown is the type of Republican that can win there, and he’s a great politician. I don’t know if I would vote for him in the primary if I lived there, but I would have absolutely no problem voting for him over Shaheen in the general.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Frankly I don’t see how this “carpetbagging” nonsense moves the needle for a single voter. The fact is, Scott Brown has had a home in NH for 20 years. And it would probably be easy and accurate for him to say that the collective values of the “live free or die” state match his own much closer than liberal, delusional (I’m really an Independent, though I vote Democrat 100% of the time) Massachusetts.

deadrody on April 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Brown is a disgusting carpet bagging RINO. He is closer to shaheen than to the real conservative in this race…. Jim Reubens.

I am disgusted that a few other commenters such as gopranknfile think this is the best we can do. Have we not learned anything??

People buy into this only the moderate can win garbage and they almost lose.

Even if the moderate wins how much does it help when they are voting to raise the debt ceiling like brown did?

We can do better.

Support the real conservative in Jim Reubens.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Cuz nothing says freedom like Dodd-Frank.

kringeesmom on April 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Yes, and I’m sure there are at least a half dozen voters in NH that give a crap.

It is almost surreal to watch people pretend that middle of the road LIVs would ever care about single issues that are relatively obscure.

I absolutely guarantee that in any exit poll, virtually anywhere, you couldn’t come close to a majority that could even tell you what Dodd-Frank even IS.

But by all means, lets pretend that Scott Brown can’t win NH because he was the deciding vote to get Dodd-Frank passed.

deadrody on April 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

If NH doesn’t work out then Brown can always try Vermont in 2016.

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Oh, so Scott Brown has owned a house in Vermont for the last 20 years ?

No ? Then WTF are you babbling about ?

deadrody on April 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

NH isn’t Utah you say?

Remember 2010 where Ovide came within 1500 votes of upsetting Ayotte?

I remember arguing with people saying that Ovide had no shot. Very well may have won had people got behind him from the start.

I would rather go down fighting for the conservative than setting for the weak RINO

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM

May not vote for him, but he sure did vote with him an awful lot.

kringeesmom on April 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

While representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

And still voted against Obamacare. Just like he said he would.

Just what the hell do you people expect…?

JohnGalt23 on April 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Is he going to be tooling around the state in a Pickup again,
or will he be in a Lexus this time around??

ToddPA on April 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Oh, so Scott Brown has owned a house in Vermont for the last 20 years ?

No ? Then WTF are you babbling about ?

deadrody on April 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I’m talking about a guy who got politically kicked out of the last state he said he had a deep attachment to and has now found a new state to profess his undying love for.

Bet: If Brown fails in NH you will see him pop up in another race in either state at a different level; state rep, governor, something.

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Try it again, RINO.

rrpjr on April 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

New England Republicans, Independents=Democrats

Krupnikas on April 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I think Brown is the best we can do in NH because the Republican bench is incredibly weak in NH, which is probably why the NH GOP had to get Brown to run there. Also, NH leans closer to blue than red, unfortunately. I would love for a real conservative to win there, but I’m also practical. I like Jim Rubens, but he’s been in the race since September, and he’s barely moved the needle. In fact, he’s lost ground. When he first entered the race, he trailed Shaheen by 17. In the latest poll between Rubens and Shaheen, he’s now down by 20. Brown has been in this race for a few hours, and he’s already within 6.

I would have no problem supporting either Brown or Rubens. Let the primary process play out.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM

NH isn’t Utah you say?

Remember 2010 where Ovide came within 1500 votes of upsetting Ayotte?

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM

That was in the Republican primary. Of course, Republican primary voters are going to be more conservative as a whole than the general New Hampshire electorate. When people vote in a primary, they not only vote for who they agree with most or like the most, but who also gives the party the best general election prospects, which is why Ayotte beat Lamontagne. It was a very close race, though, no doubt.

The reason why I used Utah as an example was because even the Democratic voters in that state tend to be moderate/conservative, so someone like a Mike Lee would be the perfect candidate there. Also, because Republican voters FAR outnumber Democratic voters there. Such is not the case in New Hampshire.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me TWICE, shame on me!

Face it, ex-Sen. Scott “I’ll be the 41st vote, not the 60th vote” Brown – you will NEVER be the Senator from New Hampshire!

After Scott Brown amassed a liberal record – voting with the Democrats on almost all the important issues – as a way of saving his Mass. seat, how did that work out? Establishment Republicans NEVER learn! Better to be known as a man of principle than a political panderer.

If Mass. wanted a Reid-voting Democrat, they would NOT have sent Brown to the Senate. Unfortunately, he failed them and his base that powered him to victory the first time around abandoned him and he lost his seat.

Now, he wants a comeback? Go away!

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Seems like people like you are the problem GOP.

basing your decision over what the freaking polls say? How about who is the best conservative?

Again Ovide was way down early in the primary to Ayotte before making a huge push.

Support the real conservative period.

I plan on doing the same thing if Cruz runs. I will donate and go door to door for him. However if some piece of trash like jeb bush or Krispy Kreme Kristy get the nomination then neither will get a dime from me.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM

And still voted against Obamacare. Just like he said he would.

Just what the hell do you people expect…?

JohnGalt23 on April 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM

If memory serves, the House passed the Senate version of Obamacare, the bill was never returned to the Senate, ergo Scott Brown never got to vote either for or against.

I expect a Republican to stand for the Republican platform, not Dem light.

kringeesmom on April 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Your premise is faulty as usual. I didn’t say that the poll was the reason why I thought he was our best shot. I didn’t need a poll to tell me that Brown would do better against Shaheen than Rubens would. I knew that even before I looked at the polling numbers.

If you want to support Rubens, go right ahead. No one is stopping you. But the point of running in elections is to win elections. However, it’s Ruben’s obligation to show that he can actually win there. He’s done nothing of the kind to demonstrate that just yet. I’m all for running a sacrificial lamb in a race that the Republicans have no shot of winning. Luckily for the party, this isn’t one of those races.

I respect what you’re doing and continuing to prop of Rubens. I hope you continue to do that. That’s what the primary process is all about. If he does end up getting the nomination, I’ll do whatever I can to help him win.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Which proves what, except he wants to be a politician? Ronald Reagan was hardly born in California and Sarah Palin came from Idaho. Brown has been in and out of New Hampshire all his life. That’s pretty common in New England. Many Ma$$holes own property and spend summers in NH while lots NH residents work in Mass. Honestly, I thought Brown would opt for the easier route and stay in the media/entertainment (like Palin) after Fox picked him up. My bet is if he fails in NH, he’ll try to be a talking head again… of course another loss will actually lighten his resume.

rhombus on April 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

You mean just like the polls said Romney would win?

You wanna bet? If Brown is the nominee, he will LOSE and it won’t be close.

We are TIRED of running Establishment losers, who even if they win, tend to amass points for the other “team” than their own “team”.

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Which proves what, except he wants to be a politician?

rhombus on April 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Exactly, another guy who will never go away, a northeastern Charlie Crist.

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Some polls showed Romney would win; some showed he would lose. That’s the nature of polling. But just about every poll showed Gingrich, Santorum, Cain, and Bachmann would lose. Therefore, it wasn’t exactly a stretch to say that Romney was our best shot (just merely based on polling).

I have no idea if Brown will win or lose. I never guaranteed a win…just that he was our best shot there. I do disagree with you it won’t be “close,” but then again “close” is relative.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM

If I have to listen to another John Boehner commercial I’m going to puke.

crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Also, it’s completely understandable that you’re “tired” of voting for a certain type of candidate. No one told you to vote for a particular candidate. Part of the beauty of the primary process is that you can put your full support behind a candidate that you really want to win. All I said was my opinion of who I thought gave us our best shot of winning. It’s merely a opinion. You clearly disagree, and that’s fine. I’m all for robust debate. Maybe Rubens will end up winning the primary and beating Shaheen, something about which I would be quite thrilled.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:26 PM

What an idiotic and pathetic mindset. Again people like GOP say only the RINO Brown can win.

Talk about a defeatist mentality from the start!

You say it’s up to Rubens to prove he can win? How about its up to any self respecting conservative to support him?? Instead of wasting time on here babbling how about you send him $100?

You are a conservative right? Prove it.

That goes for every conservative on hot air. Put your money where your mouth is and support Rubens.

Enough with the only the moderate can win garbage. Yeah just like only Romney McCain and Dole could win right?

One other thing:

I have a liberal at work I argue with all the time. She wants Elizabeth Warren to run in 2016. She also says she likes and could support Scott freaking brown.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Ii agree. Ultimately, the Republican primary is the only means for the right-most half of the country to coalesce around a candidate. A conservative who can’t win them over cannot possibly hope to bring the general electorate around.

Neither conservatives nor leftists are a majority in this country. Until our views dominate the electorate, we have to cooperate with more liberal republicans, and they have to cooperate with us, and whenever EITHER of us refuses to do so, the left wins.

RINO in Name Only on April 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Here’s the thing GOP:

Romney was more willing to fight against conservatives in the primary than he was in the General.

Obama was calling Romney a tax cheat a felon and a murderer and he didn’t even defend himself! Romney didn’t even mention Benghazi despite the moderator setting it up for him.

Notice a pattern with these weak rinos? They are afraid to fight the liberals and the media. Just like when the NC GOP was attacking Obama over rev. Wright a d McCain s campaign sued them to stop!.

You need a set of balls to be able to beat these socialist scum.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM

kringeesmom on April 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Check your memory.

Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010

On March 25, the bill passed the Senate by a 56–43 vote, with all Republicans and 3 Democrats voting against it.

Apparently, your memory disagrees with the facts…

JohnGalt23 on April 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM

We’re supposed to be encouraged by this news?

Cleombrotus on April 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Oh, so Scott Brown has owned a house in Vermont for the last 20 years ?

No ? Then WTF are you babbling about ?

deadrody on April 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Total ignorance of Brown’s family history duly noted. Scott’s mother is from NH and met his father when he was stationed in NH with the Air Force. Scott has also owned a home in NH for decades.

If one believes that life begins at conception, then Scott Brown was born in New Hampshire-his parents were living on-base at Pease Air Force Base in Newington New Hampshire at the time, and the only reason Scott was not born there was because at the time Pease did not have its own on-base hospital. So instead he was born a couple of miles away at the US Navy hospital at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, which is just over the river in Maine.

By the way, the current incumbent female Democrat he’s running against was born in…Missouri.

Del Dolemonte on April 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I’m trying to have a civil discussion with you, but you come off as quite angry. I guess that’s no surprise since you’re a fan of Mark Levin.

It’s not a defeatist mentality from “the start.” Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Rubens has been in this race since September. It’s now April. All he’s done is fall farther back in the polls. When Rubio was running against Crist, I was with Rubio’s campaign from the start. He rewarded his supporters by gaining in the polls almost on a daily basis. He ultimately made the popular incumbent governor flee from the primary. Rubens hasn’t done anything to show that he’s a viable candidate. It’s not the voters’ responsibility to make a candidate viable. It’s the candidate’s responsibility. If he was able to do that, I guarantee that he would have more money coming his way, just like any other underdog candidate that showed he/she could win.

Once again, your premise is faulty. No one said that only a moderate can win period. It depends on the state, the candidate, the demographics, and a myriad of other factors. I supported Mike Lee, Ted Cruz, Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, etc. Were any of these candidates “moderates” when they ran? Pretty much all of them were seen as long shots as well, but they did a great job inspiring confidence in voters.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Hey RINO

You are dead wrong. Conservatives are the largest group in this country. We out number liberals 2 to 1.

The reason Romney lost is that less conservatives voted in 2012 than 2008.

We need a strong articulate conservative. The last thing we need is to feel the need to compromise with moderates. That’s why the GOP lost the House in 2006 due to them acting like big spending liberals.

They got the house back in 2010 due to more conservative Tea Party types running and getting the electorate excited.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Yeah I am angry when supposed conservatives take a defeatist mindset that the RINO is the only shot.

Again the polling numbers seem pretty similar to how far back Ovide was before he closed the gap on shaheen.

The NH round table discussion on WGIR said they expect Rubens to make a strong push and possibly even beat brown. That is the biggest local nh radio show.

Yet the last thing we need is people to take your attitude that it can’t happen and settle for the RINO. Brown flat out p! Sses me off as he should to any conservative.

And yeah I am passionate and willing to fight against rinos and socialists just like the Great One. And I’m damn proud of it!

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Typo…meant to say when Ovide closed the gap on Ayotte ..not shaheen.

Ayotte is a moderate but she’s not quite that bad….she’s not nearly as bad as Brown who is much closer to shaheen than we all want to admit.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Conservatives outnumber liberals 2 to 1. Hahaha.

If there are so many conservatives, then they must be in control and are to blame for the direction of the country. If they are not in control it just proves how much they suck.

By the way Ovide won the nomination 3 times, congress once andgovernor twice, and lost all 3 elections, two times by double digits.

Yet some delsional clowns are mad he couldnt beat super popular Ayotte who went on to destroy her opponent.

swamp_yankee on April 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Has Harry Reid condemned this man yet for conspiring with the
Koch Brothers??

ToddPA on April 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Del.

Real important to defend Brown’s history instead of focusing on how many times he voted with Harry Reid.

And I still think these guys need to pick a state. Jumping from Ma to NH or from Arkansas to NY cheapens the process.

Plus browns policies more align with taxachusetts than NH.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Then my question would be why didn’t Brown run for office in NH from the beginning. I have a hunting cabin on land in another state which I acquired while I was still a young man in the service, but my connection to that state isn’t nearly that which I have to Minnesota. Brown grew up in Mass and he used that anecdote when he ran for Drowner’s old seat.

And I don’t care where his demorat opponent is from, everyone from that party is dead to me, but Brown looks like a carpet-bagger who failed in Mass and chose himself a new home to represent. It’s what got my state a senator named Al Franken who was born in MN but hadn’t lived here since he was about 2 years old.

My abhorrence of politicians and their games is bipartisan.

Bishop on April 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM

It’s only defeatist if you think you’re going to lose based on no evidence. Rubens has done nothing to show that he can win. At this point, most viable candidate would start chipping away at a lead. His campaign seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Lamontagne lost in the primary, so I’m not sure what you mean by closing the gap on Shaheen? Do you mean his 1996 gubernatorial campaign against her, where he lost by 17 points?

Lamontage had his chance two years after he lost the primary to Ayotte when he ran for Governor, but he lost by double digits again.

None of this is based on a defeatist attitude. Lamontagne hasn’t presented any evidence he can win statewide. One thing I do love about Lamontagne is that he supported Ayotte 100% even after he lost. I wish both moderates and conservatives would have that type of mentality if he/she or his/her candidate doesn’t win the primary.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I’m glad we finally agree on something. Ayotte is a lot better than Brown.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I’d much rather fight for a conservative Swamp boy.

Had Ovide beaten Ayotte he would’ve beaten Paul hodes too. Again 2010 was a tea party revolution. The only reason rinos like Boehner got in power was due to excitement over the tea party.

And yes conservatives out number liberals. ..look it up. Just haven’t had the most articulate candidates to support. .Instead we fall for wimps like brown Romney McCain and dole.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Thanks, GOPRanknFile, for keeping this debate civil.

The problem conservatives like myself have with the GOP Establishment is that we no longer see ourselves as being on the same team anymore.

You see a Scott Brown win as a win for “Republicans”. I see it as a LOSS for CONSERVATIVES and a WIN for DEMOCRATS.

Why? Because Big Government statism, which is the one thing both party establishments agree on, will go on unchecked. And small government conservatives will see our goal of trying to reverse the the growth of Government set back another six years.

The current battle is NOT between Republicans and Democrats. It is between small government conservatives and big government statists.

If you seriously think a Senate run by McConnell and populated by Senators like Brown will shift the needle rightward by even an infinitesimal amount, I’ve got a lake in the desert to sell to you.

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Self-respecting conservatives do no throw money away. If Rubens wants conservatives to send him our money, he must first demonstrate that he is serious about winning. In a blue, or even purple, state, that means exhibiting the ability and desire to persuade moderates that his views are correct. A lot of politicians aren’t especially good at doing that, and when they aren’t, it means when they ask for my money they are asking for me to throw it away.

Rubens may or may not have that seriousness – those who think he does, and have money to support him, should absolutely consider giving some to him.

You are a conservative right? Prove it.

Sorry, doesn’t work that way. We don’t get paid for being conservative here, and don’t have to prove it to anyone, since we’re not the ones asking to be entrusted with the fruits of others’ labor.

Enough with the only the moderate can win garbage.

Strawman. Sometimes you get a good conservative, sometimes you don’t. In a liberal state, the conservative often has an uphill climb. Doesn’t mean a conservative can never win, but to get support for their uphill battles, they need to make a good case for themselves.

Yeah just like only Romney McCain and Dole could win right?

One can’t ever prove that the other candidates wouldn’t have won, but they all had their chance to make their case in the primary. Romney didn’t really come across as a strong candidate, but seemed the least bad of a bad lot. That’s why most voted for him, I’d guess.

One other thing:

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM

So? No one’s disputing that Scott brown has lots of liberal views. The question is, is he the best we can do? I’d like to think we can do better, but I don’t vote or donate based on what I wish were true.

RINO in Name Only on April 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Lamontagne might have beaten Hodes, but it would have been a lot closer (assuming he did win). The last poll that was taken of a hypothetical matchup between Lamontagne and Hodes had Lamontagne losing by six. That same pollster, on the same date, had Ayotte winning by 8. That’s a 14-point difference. The primary voters definitely made the right decision.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:04 PM

GOP

You’re missing the point. No one said Ovide had a shot in hell..that Ayotte would blow him out in the 2010 primary. Yet he made a huge comeback in august and Sept getting grassroots support and nearly pulled it off only losing by 1500 votes.

yeah he still lost but it shows that it is possible that the conservative can win. We need to support them instead of looking at the polls saying it can’t happen.

Why not send him $25 or $50? You’re a conservative right? You supported Cruz and Lee so why not support a conservative over Brown?

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

People have to get off their asses and support conservatives.

Yet some have it made up already that brown is the best we can do?

That’s pure garbage.

I remember having the same arguments with some supposed wizards of smart at red state who all said Ovide would get crushed by Ayotte.

May have won had people supported him from the start instead of thinking it was a hopeless cause.

Seems like the same argument all over again. People never learn.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I agree. Ultimately, the Republican primary is the only means for the right-most half of the country to coalesce around a candidate. A conservative who can’t win them over cannot possibly hope to bring the general electorate around.

RINO in Name Only on April 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Wait a minute, if a Republican candidate is not 100.000% pure conservative, you want to accept that? Why not vote Democratic and really teach those Republicans a lesson?

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Thanks, GOPRanknFile, for keeping this debate civil.

I appreciate you doing the same.

Your anger is warranted. Trust me. I’m a conservative myself, and I hated when the establishment did certain things (supporting Crist before even giving Rubio a chance or trying to push for amnesty when we needed to keep our focus on Obamacare and our disastrous foreign policy). So I don’t disagree with you, but we just need to be strategic in our efforts.

Is Scott Brown my ideal Republican? Absolutely not. I would love a Mike Lee in every state, but I know someone like Mike Lee isn’t going to fly in a NH or VA or some other swing state or blue-leaning state. Brown did rail against Obamacare, which is still a huge plus in my book.

This is fair, and your concerns are warranted.

I do agree that there are two battles right there. Like you mentioned, there’s the battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party, which is a fight we need to continue fighting. However, I do hope, in terms of electoral politics, when the primaries are over, we can unite and stand behind our candidate, whether it’s a staunch conservative or wimpy moderate.

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I don’t like McConnell, and I would like him replaced as Senate Minority Leader (hopefully Senate Majority Leader soon). I don’t know how much Brown will shift the needle, but at least he would stop the bleeding because I would rather have Brown in there than Shaheen. Will he vote against us some of the time? Absolutely. He’s going to represent a blue-leaning state, but I rather have a Senator who votes against us some of the time than all of the time, like a Shaheen.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Has anyone ever noticed how democrats can get left wing liberals elected in red states, but we republicans are required to settle for dem lite if we want to win in blue states?

deadrody

Um, the person pretending here is you. The poster you’re responding to didn’t say he couldn’t win because he voted for Dodd-Frank. That’s a creation of yours. Here’s what she did say:

Cuz nothing says freedom like Dodd-Frank.

kringeesmom

And she’s right, whether voters in NH know about it or not, lol.

xblade on April 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM

GOP

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Lamontage did make a huge comeback, but he kept chipping away at the lead. He inspired voters. That’s my point, Levinfan. Lamontage DID do that, but Rubens hasn’t had any type of success chipping away in the polls. He keeps falling farther back.

I would love to send him money. I probably wouldn’t support him over Brown in NH because I honestly don’t think he can win, and I’m not a fan of wasting my money. If there’s ever a moment where I believe he can win, then I assure you, I’ll have no problem making a donation to his campaign. I’m not sending Brown any money either, so don’t worry.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I apologize for my previous post. This is what it SHOULD have looked like.

GOP

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Heh. Let’s do it!

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM

GOPRanknFile

And yet, Dems have no problem getting people like Mary Landrieu and Kay Hagan elected in red states, and they’re trying to get Wendy Davis elected in Texas. Apparently they didn’t get the memo that you can’t get liberal dems elected in red states.

xblade on April 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM

xblade on April 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Mary Landrieu may seem liberal to us, but she’s seen as a moderate Democrat in Louisiana. That Landrieu name is golden in Louisiana as well, so there are other dynamics at work there. That’s kind of what’s happening in GA with Michelle Nunn. Hagan ran as a moderate Democrat in NC. She’s shown her true colors, which is why she’s in huge trouble in her reelection efforts.

Dems are smart with the candidates they pick. They know a liberal Dem can’t win states like GA and KY, so they push for people like Nunn and Grimes, respectively, both of whom are running as moderates, not liberals.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Thanks, GOPRanknFile, for keeping this debate civil.

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Nailed it!!!

Talon on April 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Would a Senate run by McConnell and populated by senators like Brown shift the needle rightward? Maybe not.

But would a Senate run by Reid and populated by senators like Shaheen shift the needle leftward? Absolutely yes.

I haven’t heard that much about the NH Senate primary this year. Maybe Jim Rubens would be a better senator than Scott Brown. Maybe Rubens can win the primary, and if he does, I hope the party would unite behind him and help him win the general election.

But if Scott Brown wins the primary, there’s no benefit to conservatives in refusing to support him in the general election. There won’t be anybody else running besides Shaheen and the Republican nominee. Refusing to vote for Brown in a Shaheen-Brown general election is just playing into Harry Reid’s hands.

J.S.K. on April 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Dems are okay with so-called “moderate” Democrats because they know it is only a facade. Those “moderates” can be counted on to vote with their party on the big issues and are only left off when it does not really matter.

The reverse is true for Republican “moderates”. They can be counted on to vote with the Dems on the big issues and are only with their party when it does not really matter.

So, pray tell, can you really blame small government conservatives for feeling less than enthused when the candidacy of a “moderate” Republican is being sold? We see them as no different from the Democrats and so for us the primary is the only election that matters.

If the “moderate” Republican prevails in the primary, we see no need to play the game between Democrat and fair-weather Republican.

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM

If Scottie wins he’ll work to move the GOP further Left. Don’t waste your time and $$$ on this crumb.

kingsmill on April 11, 2014 at 3:00 PM

TheRightMan on April 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Trust me. Just like our side can’t stand the moderates, I know plenty of liberal Dems that can’t stand the likes of Landrieu, Manchin, etc. They just go along with it because they know they’re in states where more liberal candidates can’t win. They’re more strategic than we are a lot of the time.

GOPRanknFile on April 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM

The point is that Landrieu still voted for Obamacare. …While supposedly being a moderate Democrat in a red state.

The liberals run their extreme candidates in Obama Pelosi shaheen. .etc and they win. Yet we are always told that people like Cruz Rand Paul Bachmann. ..etc are too extreme and we need to run more moderates for president. ..or to appoint as Speaker. ..etc.

It’s nonsense yet many buy into it.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM

GOP:

There hasn’t been worse things you’ve wasted $25 on than giving it to a conservative who supposedly can’t win?

That’s one night having a few drinks or eating out. How much is conservatism worth it to you?

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Good deal..Glad to see Scott Brown running..I wish him the best..:)

Dire Straits on April 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I hate the Republican establishment in the Senate. Scott Brown hung out with them and voted with them.

With that said, I like Scott Brown. I like him a LOT more then Kelly Ayotte. I trust him a LOT more as well.

I predict Scott Brown wins the primary, beats Shaheen by 10+ points and has a better voting record moving forward then Kelly Ayotte.

Considering the position Brown had in Massachusetts, I never heard him say anything that got me angry. I certainly cannot say the same about all his moderate colleagues.

His problem was always geography. New Hampshire is much better terrain for him.

KMav on April 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

The Dem leadership allows their alleged “moderates” to make a few meaningless votes to help save their bacon for an election. An example of thus is my Congressman in the Boston area-Steve Lynch. This guy grew up in blue collar South Boston and is a pretend moderate. He is a bit of a lout and a little uncouth. He definitely is not the favorite of the trendy, elite Left. Pelosi allows him to make a few meaningless votes on healthcare but when push comes to shove he is 100% Leftist. On the other hand we have the likes of Scott Brown. He will work against the central conservative issues. He will fight to make the GOP an even bigger squish party. He will always put his own interests above principal.

wraithby on April 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

So no matter what the Democrats win the New Hampshire Senate seat. The only choices for the people will be the liberal Democrat or Scott Brown the de-facto liberal Democrat.

RJL on April 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM

It’s nonsense yet many buy into it.

LevinFan on April 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I agree with you that this is a problem, but I’m not sure that I draw the same conclusion.

Based on the last two presidential elections, it looks like a liberal Democrat can defeat a moderate Republican for president.

Maybe this means that a conservative Republican candidate would do better, assuming that the increased conservative turnout for that candidate would exceed any losses among moderate voters.

On the other hand, there’s also the possibility that a large segment of the American people really prefers to have a liberal president compared to either a moderate or a conservative. I can’t relate to those people, but there are millions of them.

J.S.K. on April 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM

By “our” do you mean conservatives or Republicans?

tcufrog on April 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

All or nothing gets you nothing. Dividing conservatism from the GOP means that conservatives have no place to go and that the GOP will move left to make up for the loss of their natural constituency. You want more conservatives in office? Vote for the most conservative candidate you can get and then work to hold them accountable. You don’t shoot yourself in the foot so you can thump your chest about how superior you are on the internet. That’s just mental masturbation.

V7_Sport on April 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM

kingsmill on April 11, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Bull. Do you really think you are going to get Barry Goldwater’s ghost elected anywhere in New England?

V7_Sport on April 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM