Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on “Late Show”

posted at 2:01 pm on April 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

He’ll always be Mr. Noblet to me, but it’s a perfect choice. One’s a hard-left liberal whose shtick got boring ages ago, and the other’s David Letterman.

Congrats to the #CancelColbert team. They wanted him off Comedy Central, and they got their wish.

The 49-year-old Colbert, who signed a five-year deal, said in a statement: “Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career. I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead. I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

Colbert’s premiere date will be revealed after Letterman figures out a timetable for his final episodes. According to CBS, “Late Show” creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted “Late Show” will be announced at a later date.

The news will leave a big gap in the lineup at the Comedy Central, which has aired “The Colbert Report” since 2005.

It’s a five-year-deal but late-night tenures typically run 20 at a minimum, so expect some quality Colbert japes during the George P. Bush versus Chelsea Clinton election of 2032. The big question: Is CBS getting Stephen Colbert or “Stephen Colbert”? Answer:

Like Ace, I don’t know why you’d hire a comedian who got famous playing a character to host a show out of character. It’d be like giving Larry the Cable Guy a sitcom but insisting that he play mild-mannered Nebraskan Dan Whitney. Then again, Colbert’s always sort of “in character” even when he’s not playing a faux-conservative pundit like the one he plays on “Report.” If you go back and watch “Strangers With Candy” or his bits as a correspondent for “The Daily Show,” you’ll find that his style’s consistent even though neither of those characters was overtly political. He’s so arch, so far over the top in exaggerating his target’s ideas or persona while retaining a deadpan affect, that his shtick always feels like caricature. Even his famous takedown of Bush at the 2006 WHCD, with the president sitting right in front of him, was delivered as a pretend Dubya supporter. I don’t think he’s comfortable playing comedy any other way; I’d be surprised if his CBS show is any different. Instead of playing the faux-conservative, which works during Comedy Central’s 11 p.m. hour of right-bashing power for a millennial audience but might not work for an older, more diverse crowd on CBS, he’ll probably play the faux-late-night-host, mocking the conventions of the format. Which wouldn’t be terrible: After 50 years of the same crap, right down to the demographics of the various personalities, anything different at that hour is good.

By the way, just out of curiosity, how many of you watch late-night TV on the broadcast networks? In an age of Netflix, Hulu, hundreds of cable channels and ubiquitous mobile devices, why anyone would limit themselves to watching a middle-aged comic banter with Matt Damon about his new movie is unclear to me, but I’m open to suggestion.

Update: Needless to say, Colbert got this job because CBS thinks he’ll bring some of Comedy Central’s younger audience with him. But if you need to see hard numbers to believe that, FiveThirtyEight’s got you covered.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Awesome.

Late night television needed more left-wing propaganda and racist jokes.

Midas on April 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM

yeah i don’t care.

phatfawzi on April 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Me stupid, you so funny

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM

What a liberal joke Colbert is. I never found him funny anyway. Just irritating. Oh well, so much for the Late Show.

anotherJoe on April 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Asians, show spine and revolt.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM

yeah i don’t care.

phatfawzi on April 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Yeah, considering I haven’t watched Letterman in… damn, has it been since the 80′s? – don’t much care here, either.

Midas on April 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM

When I first saw this in the headlines, I honestly thought it was a joke.

Lolo on April 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM

yawn. Another liberal psycho barely hanging on to reality. I don’t think he realizes that he has become his character.

pat on April 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Angry old leftist D-bag replaced by not quite as old leftist D-bag….

I will continue not watching.

8thAirForce on April 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

The Millenials will be so, so, so happy.

I wonder if John Stewart will be a wee bit jealous.

After all, Colbert was just a feature guy who started on Stewarts show. Now he’s sitting int he Big chair on CBS.

portlandon on April 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

The O’Reilly stock shot up.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Honestly, Colbert might be the ONE guy I find more annoying than Letterman. LOL. So I won’t be watching. Then again, I never did.

Rational Thought on April 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Good luck with that.

Somewhere, Chevy Chase smiles.

Lanceman on April 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Used to watch Leno 2 or 3 times a week. Watched Fallon once, and never again.

They are all clown shows now.

portlandon on April 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Letterman is retiring, Colbert’s faux’Reilly is retiring, and someone who’s basically what we’d expect is hosting CBS late night. I don’t see the problem. But I hope Ferguson gets his big bribe for being passed over.

calbear on April 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Just Red Eye. The broadcast late-night crap hasn’t been entertaining for years decades. Johnny Carson had guests. Letterman et. al. have self-absorbed divas plugging their latest book, movie, tv show, or whatever.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

how many of you watch late-night TV on the broadcast networks?

Other than a few episodes with Leno and maybe one Letterman I haven’t watched late night talk shows since Johnny Carson.

tej on April 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Another liberal tool at CBS. What’s new?

Philly on April 10, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Amount of times I watched the Late Show for more than 1 segment: 0.

That number not expected to go up.

22044 on April 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM

CBS reminds me of a slot machine. You’d have a better time flushing money down the toilet.

Roy Rogers on April 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I can’t stay up that late anymore.

rbj on April 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Colbert’s whole shtick is conservative blackface. How does one get a variety show out of a one trick pony?

But at least the writers are safe. If they’d given Ferguson the gig they would have been redundant.

29Victor on April 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

That is a disaster-in-waiting. People don’t mind late night hosts or bits that are quirky or unconventional(although some play better at 12:30 than 11:30), but they do demand that the person sitting behind that desk not be a caricature. Letterman may have been a bitter, angry old fart the last decade of his show, but that was David Letterman, for better or worse. It wasn’t some kindly old man just playing a bitter dude.

If Colbert is gonna resort to parodying a late night talk show host, he’s better served doing a revival of The Larry Sanders Show or something along those lines. The Late Show needs a genuine host who can be funny and likeable on his(or her) own. In that regard, Craig Ferguson was the obvious choice. He would’ve had to tone down some of the bizarre stuff from his Late Late Show and not be quite as flirtatious with the female guests, but otherwise Ferguson would’ve transitioned into the role of Late Show host perfectly.

Doughboy on April 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I stopped watching a while ago. Letterman is such a mean unhappy man. Good luck to Mr. Colbert.

Cindy Munford on April 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Great news. Love Stewart and Colbert. F all y’all.

Mmm...Burritos on April 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I watch the local CBS evening news here and just kind of “have it on” for Letterman. Sometimes I pay attention, sometimes I dont. I do tend to watch parts or all of Craig Ferguson afterwards because I think he is funny :)

I have never really liked Colbert, so, I dont know. We shall see.

I dont really “like” Letterman either, but, since he comes on right after the news I watch, I leave him on while I am doing other things (like playing games).

psv on April 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Who cares?!?!? I don’t watch Letterman, I certainly won’t miss him, and I certainly won’t miss not watching Colbert.

ladyingray on April 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM

What could go wrong other than utter embarrassment for CBS?

Brock Robamney on April 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Who cares? Late night TV is a choice between the various brands of liberal.

Sleep is a more productive exercise.

nobar on April 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Haven’t owned a TV in ten years. The only time I ever watch is when I’m in a hotel room travelling on business. My guess is that the only time I’ll see anything from Colbert’s show is if clips are posted in blogs.

WhatSlushfund on April 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Gee, another Kermit Gosnell Award for Cafeteria Catholicism winner gets his due.

He really is the ignorant bigot he only -thinks- he playacts at being. How low do you have to be to crawl under Bill O’Reilly to make your living?

ebrown2 on April 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Craig Ferguson would’ve been better but he isn’t a foaming at the mouth, Obamaworshiping leftard like Colbert is. I told my sister American TV execs make shows that appeal to them and that is why the networks are losing viewers in droves. This is example #6446396 to prove that point.

As to the question about late night shows I do like Kimmel. Some of the stuff on his show is pretty funny-I liked the Guillermo ad for Scotts EZ Grow seed spot they did last night and his ‘feud’ with Matt Damon. He is a lefty but he has cooled the Obamaworship since he dumped Sarah Silverman. In fact the Matt Damon ‘feud’ started with this video.

Nahanni on April 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Soooooo – I STILL won’t be watching CBS at that time of night….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Well, I am guessing he’d do better than Chelsea Handler would do but I’m still not watching.

OT same vein

CNN Primetime LineUP – New Mike Row, John Walsh Series
I don’t think CNN choices are going to do damage to Fox or even MSNBC either in Prime Time.

CoffeeLover on April 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Jimmy Kimmel could wind up being the most successful late night host out of this bunch once the dust has settled. And don’t get me wrong. I like Kimmel. He keeps his politics and personal crap(aside from his former relationship with Sarah Silverman) out of his show. But who woulda thought years ago that the sidekick on Win Ben Stein’s Money and co-host of The Man Show could eventually follow in the footsteps of Carson and Leno?

Doughboy on April 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Looking around on this story, people that aren’t liberals really should try to be less of a bunch of whiny pansies.

I usually watch some Conan, some Kimmel and then the funniest show on late night, Craig Ferguson. I’m glad they are leaving Ferg alone.

Letterman was so brilliant on NBC, and then he just got lazy after he went to CBS. I watch sometimes these days, but the writing is so terrible it is just sad for someone of Letterman’s stature. Been that way for a long time.

Red Eye has some laughs, too.

I’ll check Colbert out when he gets there just out of curiosity to see how he does it without the character he plays now. I don’t expect much.

Moesart on April 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I haven’t watched late-night TV since Carson. Today’s late-night TV lacks in fair handedness and class in politics compared to what Johnny served up. I read HotAir or books.

31giddyup on April 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Hey wait. Mom’s out of the house. Better get on her computer before she comes back!

Mmm…Burritos on April 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

“Severely” edited for accuracy. :)

22044 on April 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM

This is why Military Channel exists.

Whoever has my tackle box, please return it.

Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

This just goes to show that it really isn’t about ratings for them.

The Notorious G.O.P on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Lol. Because CBS didn’t get their ass kicked enough by Leno, they thought they’d hire another leftist tard for a late-night show no one over 22 watches.

a5minmajor on April 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

LOL

Remember #CancelColbert?

Good Lt on April 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I must be racist because I saw AP writing about this from 40 fathoms away.

NotCoach on April 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

What, they couldn’t find a brain-dead chihuahua to do the show?

Oh…wait…

Thomas More on April 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Yawn. We get Stephen Colbert news, but when is HA going to address this:

Shades of Tuskgegee & Aktion t4: The EPA Conducted Dangerous Experiments On Humans To Further Its Agenda

You’ll never hear Colbert, Stewart, and the rest address it.

Resist We Much on April 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Oh Wow….hi (waving). Good to see you back :)

CoffeeLover on April 10, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I actually liked Colbert up until the WHCD gig which I felt was right up there with the Occupy folks chitting on Police cars. I don’t care about a little roasting, but his contempt was way too clear. Honestly though I have never really been a viewer of those Late-Night shows. i have always been a night owl and started watching Nightline when it first started as America Held Hostage and watched it later if anything big was going on up until the internet and 24 hr news became the norm.

Southernblogger on April 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Not me.
I use my fat fingers to type away on QOTD at that hour , and I get some good comedy, high quality discussions and some cool tunes to listen to while I’m HotGassing :O.

burrata on April 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Colbert is lucky CBS is giving him a chance. His show does not have good ratings. But I’m guessing neither does Letterman. That being said the Colbert report is stale stuff it might give him a chance for fresh material.

terryannonline on April 10, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I have been known to nap during Letterman, set my alarm, and get up for Ferguson. He is much funnier.

ladyingray on April 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM

The more seriously Letterman took himself the more dull and offensive (and perverted) he became. Clintonian in immaturity.

Craig Ferguson is a likable person in large part because he enjoys making people laugh, seems to harbor no venom for anyone and seems grounded as a person in part because of harder times he’s faced earlier in his career. When he became a US citizen his gratitude for that achievement was abundant.

Ferguson reminds me of Carson because of a genuine personal quality not often found in Hollyweird or Noo Yawk social scene.

Letterman is shtick. So is Colbert. Formulas which run dry except to groupies after so many years. Yet you can tell Ferguson actually goes well beyond scripts to make his guests comfortable and appreciated. He would have been the best choice. No surprise though for See-BS with their other personnel change of chasing away their lone reporter seeking truth, Sheryl Atkisson.

viking01 on April 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM

So, first guest on the show’s going to be South Carolina Congressman Mark Sanford, right?

jon1979 on April 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Whoever has my tackle box, please return it.

Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Serves you right for leaving it lying around when you went on vacation! ;0

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Outside of sports, I don’t watch the broadcast networks.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM

jon1979 on April 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I think his first guest will be Rosie the fat beech , and they will speak in Chinese (?) as only they can , with Leland Yee translating in English for us non-commies .

burrata on April 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM

This is why Military American Heroes Channel exists.

Whoever has my tackle box, please return it.

Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

ReWrite™ engaged for rebranding (or were you refering to Military History?).

Ice out isn’t scheduled for another month up there.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

So CBS is gambling on a guy who can’t even hold a decent audience?

GarandFan on April 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Red Eye has some laughs, too.

Moesart on April 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I’m not being whiny. I’m being an objective observer. I think Colbert is just a bad hire. It’s not because of his politics necessarily, although I do think that saddles him with a lot of baggage that could turn off half the country.

It’s that he’s been doing a character for so long that he’s essentially become that. Even when he presents at awards shows(where I concede he’s usually very funny), he’s in character. Hell, when he appeared before Congress a few years ago, he was doing his schtick. The man is like Andy Kaufman(only far less talented). No one knows where the fake Stephen Colbert ends and the real one begins. He’s either going to continue this on the new Late Show or he’ll drop the entire act and wind up being boring and a lot less funny.

Why they didn’t offer the gig to Ferguson, I have no idea. He’s been on Bill Maher’s show, so it’s no secret he leans left. But he’s also able to keep that part of his life off of The Late Late Show. He’s funny. He does hilarious interviews. And he has some inspired characters and bits on the show. I can only assume that CBS either thought his act was too risky for 11:30(Conan ran into similar trouble on NBC) or they weren’t prepared to have a Scotsman take over the Late Show and wanted the safe choice of a dark haired white dude from middle America.

Doughboy on April 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Does he have a schtick other than the faux O’Reilly? Isn’t CBS setting itself up for a big fail if he’s got nothing else to bring?

reddevil on April 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

The lede is wrong. They’re both leftists (I’ve purged “liberal” and “progressive” from my personal style guide) whose shtick got boring a long time ago.

kd6rxl on April 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Who. Cares.

vnvet on April 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Our local PBS did a complete documentary on Johnny Carson a few weeks ago. Fascinating stuff. Showed him with his magnificent talent and his warts. He was the master. I’ve not watched what followed him on late night TV.

butch on April 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Whoever has my tackle box, please return it.

Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Someone told me on another thread that Walter Newton may have it….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM

At least it wasn’t Joy Behar.

El_Terrible on April 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Moesart on April 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Take it away, whiny little liberal…

Basically, you’re saying you are easily entertained. I’m sure you’re fascinated every morning while dropping a deuce and then flushing it.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

We’re all ignoring the really big question…Who get’s the coveted Colbert Report time slot on Comedy Central?

Zzzzz…

JetBoy on April 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

So CBS is gambling on a guy who can’t even hold a decent audience?

GarandFan on April 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Isn’t that their standard MO?

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Chelsea Handler would have probably been a better pick. At least she can make me laugh here and there on Chelsea Lately, plus she’s got a midget as a prop, that’s always funny.

That said, I doubt Colbert will last long, 5 year contract notwithstanding. I think the ratings will be absolutely horrible and remain that way. Time will tell…

nullrouted on April 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Zzzzz…

JetBoy on April 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I’m just dying to find out who his snarky C-list comedian sidekick will be….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I have my doubts about there being honest elections, or maybe any elections, in 2016. I’m not sure about 2014, when you come down to it. Apparently, CBS believes that they are a possibility in 2016, because they are nailing down another, even more whacked out “all Left, all the time” host to replace Letterman.

Subotai Bahadur on April 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Whoever has my tackle box, please return it.

Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I’ll return it, but seriously: who puts a paint bomb in a tackle box?

I was just going to borrow some lures. Sheesh.

TexasDan on April 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Doughboy on April 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I think you might be right. He is more in the mode of former late show hosts. All the others are just silly.

Love Ferguson.

Barred on April 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM

BTW, who the hell is Craig Ferguson? I’m, obviously too old to stay up that late. Am I missin’ out?

vnvet on April 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I don’t even watch this guy I watch South Park though.

sorrowen on April 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

vnvet on April 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Yes, actually. He’s pretty funny.

TexasDan on April 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

yay.

Skywise on April 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Now he’ll be easier to ignore because I don’t watch network TV but do watch Comedy Central on occasion.

BTW, will someone nuke the Carny Channel…I mean TLC… for me, please? What a waste of electrons.

jnelchef on April 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I’ll return it, but seriously: who puts a paint bomb in a tackle box?
I was just going to borrow some lures. Sheesh.

TexasDan on April 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I wouldn’t borrow fishing gear from a Minnesotan – all they do is that ice fishing.
Tried it once, didn’t like it.
I spent half the day standing on the shore casting a lure out over the ice – never caught a dang thing….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I’m just dying to find out who his snarky C-list comedian sidekick will be….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Maybe Bill Schulz, formerly of Red Eye?

He may be looking for a job and he was about a B- comedian sidekick most of the time.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

vnvet on April 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Drew Carey’s boss at the department store….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Doughboy on April 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Ferguson is a mensch, genuinely funny and good spirited…loved it when he had his felow Scotsmans on the show, Gerald Butler, James Avery, Billy Connelly, etc, absolutely hilarious…Colbert is just so… blah, dry and uninspiring, worse than Letterman (and to me Letterman is/was the most horrible of the bunch, at least during his CBS stint).

jimver on April 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM

And this was why I didn’t care. I’ll never see him, I haven’t seen Letterman in years, and I only get Leno’s bits on youtube if they were really funny for the opening monologue… I don’t have cable, I couldn’t watch him if I wanted.

gekkobear on April 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Maybe Bill Schulz, formerly of Red Eye?

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Wasn’t he that pissed-off guy on PMSNBC?
Or am I thinking of Sgt Schultz from Stalag 17?…

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM

vnvet on April 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Just look up his show on YouTube. I haven’t regularly watched late night TV for over a decade, but it’s easy to catch tons of clips and interviews of his on the web. He’s really funny and likeable. Nothing IMO will ever top the insanity and brilliance of Conan in the mid-to-late 90′s(those clips are also available on YouTube), but Ferguson still comes off as a far better choice than Colbert.

Doughboy on April 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Are ice fishers supposed to catch anything at all anyway ?
I was told they go ice fishin just to get away from their wives :O

burrata on April 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Are ice fishers supposed to catch anything at all anyway ?
I was told they go ice fishin just to get away from their wives :O

burrata on April 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I have always wondered what goes on inside those funny little shacks people drag out on the ice…..

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Tried it once, didn’t like it.

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

My people are actually from MN.

The trick in ice fishing is you have to wade in a ways.

TexasDan on April 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM

This whole thread is making me, “Oh so hungly fo Chinee food! Cee-a-Bee-Ass, I rove you rong, rong time!”

Geez, this idiot hasn’t even quite gotten his head out of his rear with the some in the Asian community, over his recent stupid remarks, and CBS gives him this job?

I can’t wait for his “Top Ten Lists”:

“The Top Ten ways Polacks change a light bulb”

“The Top Ten ways Mexicans cross the Rio Grande”

ad infinitum.

The only thing this “comedian” ever learned about comedy was the first time he soiled his diaper as a baby, and he giggled. He’s been doing the exact same thing ever since.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I haven’t for years. Not about to start now, and certainly won’t watch Colbert. As you say, there are too many other options now.

cat_owner on April 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

NO SURPRISE: the C(ertified)B(iased)S(ocialist) network remains FIRMLY IN LUNATIC-LEFT SEWER with ‘Ching-Chong Ding-Dong’ Colbert replacing uber perve letterman

TeaPartyNation on April 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM

The trick in ice fishing is you have to wade in a ways.

TexasDan on April 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Aghlgso ckhhheerd, ahhh phhthewy, sorry – also heard you have to keep the worms warm….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Wasn’t he that pissed-off guy on PMSNBC?
Or am I thinking of Sgt Schultz from Stalag 17?…

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I don’t know if he was ever on PMSNBC (or is now), but he was Greg Gutfeld’s sidekick on Red Eye until late last year, when he left FOX News over a contract dispute.

Other than that,

I see nothing!!!

I hear nothing!!!!

I know nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM

This is why Military Channel exists.
Whoever has my tackle box, please return it.
Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

BISHOP!!!!!!

Maddie on April 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Can’t wait for Pless1foEngrish to chime in here…..

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Awesome. Colbert has been boring for years. Same with Letterman.

John the Libertarian on April 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Jon Stewart is infinitely more entertaining than Colbert.

John the Libertarian on April 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Sometime, fire up YouTube and look at old episodes of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. And you’ll quickly realize that nothing approaching that quality of late night TV has existed since. I love watching old clips of Carson, but it also makes me sad for what late night TV is today.

That said, I still had some level of fondness for Leno and Letterman. Even today, with him basically limiting himself to sitting behind the desk talking instead of the truly funny comedy bits he did years ago, I think Letterman is still a funny guy. And his show, despite all of his personal foibles, has a measure of class to it that harkens back to the traditional days of late night.

All the rest of them? Meh. I just can’t get excited about any of them at all. I think late night TV in general has gone so lowbrow as to be unwatchable, and I don’t think hosts like Fallon and Kimmel are even particularly funny. Of the current crop of hosts, the only one I like at all is Conan, and he’s been relegated to a basic cable channel.

Shump on April 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM