Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on “Late Show”

posted at 2:01 pm on April 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

He’ll always be Mr. Noblet to me, but it’s a perfect choice. One’s a hard-left liberal whose shtick got boring ages ago, and the other’s David Letterman.

Congrats to the #CancelColbert team. They wanted him off Comedy Central, and they got their wish.

The 49-year-old Colbert, who signed a five-year deal, said in a statement: “Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career. I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead. I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

Colbert’s premiere date will be revealed after Letterman figures out a timetable for his final episodes. According to CBS, “Late Show” creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted “Late Show” will be announced at a later date.

The news will leave a big gap in the lineup at the Comedy Central, which has aired “The Colbert Report” since 2005.

It’s a five-year-deal but late-night tenures typically run 20 at a minimum, so expect some quality Colbert japes during the George P. Bush versus Chelsea Clinton election of 2032. The big question: Is CBS getting Stephen Colbert or “Stephen Colbert”? Answer:

Like Ace, I don’t know why you’d hire a comedian who got famous playing a character to host a show out of character. It’d be like giving Larry the Cable Guy a sitcom but insisting that he play mild-mannered Nebraskan Dan Whitney. Then again, Colbert’s always sort of “in character” even when he’s not playing a faux-conservative pundit like the one he plays on “Report.” If you go back and watch “Strangers With Candy” or his bits as a correspondent for “The Daily Show,” you’ll find that his style’s consistent even though neither of those characters was overtly political. He’s so arch, so far over the top in exaggerating his target’s ideas or persona while retaining a deadpan affect, that his shtick always feels like caricature. Even his famous takedown of Bush at the 2006 WHCD, with the president sitting right in front of him, was delivered as a pretend Dubya supporter. I don’t think he’s comfortable playing comedy any other way; I’d be surprised if his CBS show is any different. Instead of playing the faux-conservative, which works during Comedy Central’s 11 p.m. hour of right-bashing power for a millennial audience but might not work for an older, more diverse crowd on CBS, he’ll probably play the faux-late-night-host, mocking the conventions of the format. Which wouldn’t be terrible: After 50 years of the same crap, right down to the demographics of the various personalities, anything different at that hour is good.

By the way, just out of curiosity, how many of you watch late-night TV on the broadcast networks? In an age of Netflix, Hulu, hundreds of cable channels and ubiquitous mobile devices, why anyone would limit themselves to watching a middle-aged comic banter with Matt Damon about his new movie is unclear to me, but I’m open to suggestion.

Update: Needless to say, Colbert got this job because CBS thinks he’ll bring some of Comedy Central’s younger audience with him. But if you need to see hard numbers to believe that, FiveThirtyEight’s got you covered.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I wouldn’t borrow fishing gear from a Minnesotan – all they do is that ice fishing.
Tried it once, didn’t like it.
I spent half the day standing on the shore casting a lure out over the ice – never caught a dang thing….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

In the 4 months not part of winter, they do regular fishing.

Pro tip on ice fishing – you have to cut through the ice.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Are ice fishers supposed to catch anything at all anyway ?
I was told they go ice fishin just to get away from their wives :O

burrata on April 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Yes, they catch ice! How do you think we get ice cubes?

I have always wondered what goes on inside those funny little shacks people drag out on the ice…..

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Don’t ask, because you don’t want to hear what they’ll tell. I hear it’s got something to do with man’s love of mankind, or something like that.

Neither one of could handle the truth!

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Pro tip on ice fishing – you have to cut through the ice.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM

That just sounds bloody crazy – the ice would sink if you poke a hole in it…..

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM

He’ll always be Mr. Goodwrench to me. That’s when he peaked.

slickwillie2001 on April 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Whoever has my tackle box, please return it.

Bishop on April 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM

We thought you were donating it.

crankyoldlady on April 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM

In the 4 months not part of winter, they do regular fishing.

Pro tip on ice fishing – you have to cut through the ice.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Oh, no!

If they’re having 4 months of winter in MN, there must be something this Global Warming Settled Consensual Science stuff.

I wish you would have posted your Pro Tip earlier. It would have saved me all the money I spent on the industrial size freezer I bought to store all the ice cubes I caught during my annual ice fishing expeditions.

I’ve tried smoking and grilling the ice cubes, but it I guess I’m doing something wrong with these ‘fish’ I caught.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM

All you folks talking about “staying up late” to watch any of these clowns…have you ever heard of this thing called a DVR?
Just sayin’…except for the Super Bowl, live TV is history.

Galtian on April 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Colbert has been around a long time. He’s done a lot of things. I saw him on a couple of crime shows. He was the killer on one. He’s the right choice and perfectly capable of doing this.

The trouble with the late night shows is no good guests. In Carson’s day they had stars. But there was no Netflix and stuff like that. Stars (assuming there are any now) don’t need to go on these shows to promote themselves.

crankyoldlady on April 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM

crankyoldlady on April 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM

And Bob Uecker is cutting out the West Coast trips.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Pro tip on ice fishing – you have to cut through the ice.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM

That just sounds bloody crazy – the ice would sink if you poke a hole in it…..

Well, I’ve tried smoking fish before, but I couldn’t keep’em lit.
Used up a couple lighters, and all I got was a singed piece of tail.
Must be some trick to it I haven’t figgered out……

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM

My 4:00 post above was SUPPOSED to be referenced to THIS one.
Dang this computer….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Well, I’ve tried smoking fish before, but I couldn’t keep’em lit.
Used up a couple lighters, and all I got was a singed piece of tail.
Must be some trick to it I haven’t figgered out……

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM

You need to pour the lighter fluid on the fish. As for smoking ice, lots of luck with that.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

The next Arsenio Hall.

rickv404 on April 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

So they’re replacing the guy who made it fashionable for middle-aged men to stay adolescents with an idiot. Seems like a logical progression.

Cleombrotus on April 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

As for smoking ice, lots of luck with that.

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Ya – definitely more difficult.
They keep gettin’ away from me somehow when I try to thaw them before cooking….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I think that’s legal in CO now.

TexasDan on April 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

My 4:00 post above was SUPPOSED to be referenced to THIS one.
Dang this computer….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I kind of thought that.

But it was still a pretty funny reply, so I think you should take the place of Letterman, then hire me as your crazy sidekick.

If you think you had trouble trying to smoke a fish, don’t ever try to grill one.

Having once been a hard-boiled detective for a seafront city (which I can’t disclose) we’d bring many fish in for questioning. You’d put them under a hot light, and start grilling them:

“Where was ya on da night of June 12 at midnight?”

All we got was the big eyes, like they didn’t understand the question. Eventually, Fish & Game would make us release the little punk because he didn’t ‘meet the limit’.

Eventually I gave up trying to catch the big fish, because even if I caught him, I knew the media was going to accuse me of being speicist

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I never watch. But as a kid, I used think it was pretty cool if I could stay up and watch Johnny Carson. I’ve never thought that Colbert is actually funny.

TarheelBen on April 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

LOL!
You’re hired!

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Colbert is a horrible interviewer and one note pseudo comedian, i just dont see that working on a show meant to provide PR for A listers and the entertainment industry.

CBS is hiring him because they are fans of his shtick and drool at the sight of his younger demographic.

My prediction….neither play when not lead in by Jon Stewart. Its a train wreck in the making.

Craig Ferguson is much more suited to the format and is actually talented and funny. I hope someone grabs him and gives him an opportunity to go against Colbert.

alecj on April 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I think that’s legal in CO now.

TexasDan on April 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

You can smoke about anything else here, but I don’t think they’ve legalized fish smoking yet.
That would just make our trout pout epidemic more worser…

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:41 PM

alecj on April 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM

and not in a good way….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on “Late Show”

Someone on a show I don’t watch is replacing someone else on a show I don’t watch.

I’ll continue to not watch.

rukiddingme on April 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM

One douchebag replacing another douchebag.

crosshugger on April 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Ya – definitely more difficult.
They keep gettin’ away from me somehow when I try to thaw them before cooking….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Quick cooking tip (or is that a Pro tip?):

Boil water, then put in the freezer. When it thaws out, it’s boiling again!

Wait.

What’s thermodynamics? I took Gender and Race Studies, so I know thermo-whatcha-call-it is racist and sexist! I learned Isaac Newton was an ol’ white man who invented the Fig Newton. That crap sandwich is filled with high-falutin-sucrose, or something.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM

One douchebag replacing another douchebag.
crosshugger on April 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM

It’s worse than that. If it just stayed at the same sophomoric level we might just shrug it off but the trajectory is always downward anymore in this culture. With everything.

Cleombrotus on April 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Mark Levin or Sean Hannity would have been better choices. Would have balanced out the leftist wasteland on the other networks.

Pablo Honey on April 10, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Cleombrotus on April 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Race to the lowest common denominator….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

FUNNY
——-
Conan
Kimmel

NOT SO MUCH
———–
Fallon
Colbert

faol on April 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM

That would just make our trout pout epidemic more worser…

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I’m not sure about that. I lived in Boulder, CO between 1987 and 1990, and they had already banned smoking cigs at the mall.

At that point, I hadn’t taken up smoking fish, so I’m not sure if there were any restrictions on that. Now that I’m addicted to smoking fish (I blame Big Fish for not warning me of the dangers, law suit to follow), I am a big supporter for legalizing fish smoking.

I started smoking fish for medicinal purposes. Since I suffer from Walleye, so my ophthalmologist gave me a prescription.

I’m not sure I’d condone fish smoking for recreational use. Next thing you know we’d have fish cartels with big boats all over the place!

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM

LOL!!

But – I think you’re wrong about the fig newton.
That old white guy may have invented them, but I’d swear I heard Penny on Big Bang Theory say they’re named after a town somewhere.
And I know she’s all sciency and stuff – hangin’ out with nerds all the time – Queen of the Nerds (I’ve heard) – so she must be right.

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I wonder if that might help for a case of salmonella…
Except I might have caught that through my ripped lip to begin with….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM

This move by C-BS should attract tons of new viewers. By
weight.

Texyank on April 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on “Late Show”

Another middle aged white man, where is the diversity at CBS?

RJL on April 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM

LOL!!

But – I think you’re wrong about the fig newton.

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM

As your future crazy sidekick, I stand corrected, sir.

I love Penny, Penny, Penny…

But your misuse of the American language abhors me!

It’s not “all sciency and stuff”. It is more properly worded as: “much mostest scientificul and crap”.

I must warn you sir, up with which I shall not put the most worstist denigration of our fine language!

But I really do love the Big Bang Theory. It’s one of my most favoriatest TV shows.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM

ROFL.

Loss for words at I am…

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Thinking, I am, that it’s time for a good stiff pan galactic gargleblaster.

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Big Winner: Jimmy Kimmel.

slickwillie2001 on April 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I don’t watch any of these late night shows. Why watch liberals mock conservatives? I liked Leno, but I get my entertainment from reading blogs at that time of night. Really only saw Leno in clips on occasion.

Alana on April 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I really like Ferguson. He’s had a varied career, made a couple of pretty good (although quirky) Brit movies, and developed the character Doc Martin for his first screen appearance. He would be a good replacement for Letterman. Colbert stinks, always has, probably always will.

jclittlep on April 10, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I would have preferred Craig Ferguson, who is actually funny.

bw222 on April 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Alana on April 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I agree with you. I’m not sure I’ve ever watched a late night show, even when the erstwhile and venerated Johnny Carson was on.

You may be reading blogs at that time (your choice, and that’s fine). I choose to be sleeping soundly. To each their own.

I do DVR Red Eye every night and watch it the next day. Between Greg Gutfeld, TV’s Andy Levy and Jo Ann Nosuchisnky and the various guests, they are much funnier and intellectual than these network nincompoops could ever be.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 6:13 PM

“MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!”

-Jimmy Kimmel’s producers

Theworldisnotenough on April 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM

steven colbert is funny. this should be good. he was good in strangers with candy. maybe hell have amy sedaris on all the time. i lover her. i’m hungry.

brushingmyhair on April 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM

The people that watch after the news late night entertainment are the same people that are watching the news itself. The personalities are the same demographic because the audience demographic never changes. And I won’t change. What millennial do you know that is going to rearrange their nightly schedule to watch Colbert? Me neither.

Theworldisnotenough on April 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Meet the new putz, same as the old putz..

*Channeling Pete Townsend*

cableguy615 on April 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyeaaaahhhhhhhhh….

that’s quite a leap from one extreme to another right there….

/////

cableguy615 on April 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Just Red Eye. The broadcast late-night crap hasn’t been entertaining for years decades. Johnny Carson had guests. Letterman et. al. have self-absorbed divas plugging their latest book, movie, tv show, or whatever.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

With two mega titsacks like Failon and Coldburp both taking over the late night talks show spectrum(within weeks of each other), I am surprised Johnny AND Ed McMahon haven’t bored a 6 foot hole exposing their heads above the ground with all the spinning they must be doing in their graves!

cableguy615 on April 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM

FReepers reporting that Nurse Ratchet Sebelius will be resigning tomorrow…

Brian in Titletown on April 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I’m just dying to find out who his snarky C-list comedian sidekick will be….

dentarthurdent on April 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Well I was going to say maybe Kathy Griffin, but if you are looking for “C” list, she is over qualified, (admittedly so)

cableguy615 on April 10, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Meh. I didn’t watch the Late Show with Letterman, and I won’t watch it with Colbert.

One big nothingburger.

DRayRaven on April 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Who??

KMC1 on April 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

brushingmyhair on April 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Um, English much?

Maybe stop brushing your hair, stop staying up late at night and go back to third grade and start all over again.

I’ll admit, I’m a relative newbie, but I’ve never seen you screen name, nor any bastardization of the language at this level.

If I’m wrong, then LOL (I guess?). If I’m correct, then you need some serious help.

I used to be hungry, then I ate. But now I have to number 2.

Can you hold up that many fingers?

No? Now how many fingers am I holding up?

Good idiot! Yes, one, and it’s the middle one.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

why are you so angry all the time? don’t b so angry. untwist your panties. that should be your handle. forevertwistedpanties.

brushingmyhair on April 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Another reason to go to bed early.

Yaawwwn…..

BobMbx on April 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Leno and Carson, class acts. Colbert and Letterman? Dirtbags!

racquetballer on April 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

brushingmyhair on April 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I’m not angry all the time. I do get upset when I see people misuse our language.

Just look at your quote block. Are you just too lazy, or too stupid to not use a capital letter to start a sentence?

You start writing your posts in proper English and then I’ll get my panties untwisted.

To me, anyone who writes like you chose to do makes me angry. That’s because I’ve had to pay many tens of thousands of dollars to pay for you education. You’re refusal to use proper rules of English, which you should have been taught a long time ago does stir my ire.

Maybe your new handle should be “foreverstupid”.

ZeusGoose on April 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM

dear forevertwistedpanties. you sure are emotionally invested in capital letters.

brushingmyhair on April 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

colbert who?

44Magnum on April 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Who gives a crap?

Jaibones on April 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM

One useful idiot replaces another one….

Krupnikas on April 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Well, I now have no reason to stay up. Hope you flop, Colbert. You don’t have any particular talent, but then, neither did Letterman.

oldennis on April 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM

In bigger news, Mike Rowe is going to have his own show on CNN

MT on April 10, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Those late night shows have become an important part of the Democrat machine. In 2012, Conan was constantly hitting Romney during the campaign season, never anything negative about Obama.

cimbri on April 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

A funny thing about this is that the people that whine the most about Letterman, don’t even watch his show.

And, never have, according to them.

Moesart on April 11, 2014 at 1:38 AM

White guy makes faces while reading jokes written for him.

Entertainment for the plantation folk aka democrats.

Murphy9 on April 11, 2014 at 3:04 AM

A guy who has spent years poisoning young minds by playing a faux conservative talking about the news ends up getting rewarded with one of the biggest jobs in comedy. Anyone who thinks this isn’t a big deal is fooling themselves.

DisneyFan on April 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM

Colbert: “I won’t be doing the new show in character, so we’ll all get to find out how much of him was me. I’m looking forward to it.”

Like I give a crap.
You insult me for ten years,
I won’t be watching.

Colbert has been giving the stiff middle finger to everybody who is not in ideological lock-step with the idiot lefties who run Comedy Central. And now we’re supposed to overlook that because it was all just funsies.

I am not at all interested in watching Colbert’s evolution. I suspect CBS has really stepped in it here, because none of them were offended by Colbert’s schtick. Since they did not know any actual Republicans, they can’t imagine why anybody would be offended.

Haiku Guy on April 11, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Haiku Guy on April 11, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Right on.
Your comment reminds me of the famous quote by film critic Pauline Kael:
“I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.”
―Pauline Kael

diogenes on April 11, 2014 at 7:49 AM

ahhh…. all these “I dont watch late night TV” comments. What you never heard of a DVR or on demand TV? My grandmother cant work her DVR either. Once again we come across as grumpy, humorless, old white people who are in bed by 10 or maybe 9:30. The world is passing us by. We need a funny conservative, anyone have one? Colbert makes fun of both sides. Granted its 70% fun of the right and 30% of the left but he gets both sides when they deserve it. Your kids watch him, their kids watch him. Well, back to NCIS… you kids get off my lawn.

argusx2002 on April 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM

cimbri on April 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Bingo. Looks like Colbert will be coming in right in the thick of the 2016 political season. So he can let it rip with both barrels. If his ratings tank, well, at least he took one for the team.

ncinca on April 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM

argusx2002 on April 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM

You never watch Red Eye?

ncinca on April 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Colbert reminds me of the Connecticut Governor. Another mistake.

diogenes on April 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I can hear the sound of a bomb exploding. As long as FOX stays middle-right, the leftist loons will have no chance Colbert will be an epic failure.

Old eagle on April 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Liberal dunce replaces liberal dunce.

#shock