Quotes of the day

posted at 11:01 pm on April 10, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

In what is being referred to here as the “poof speech,” Mr. Kerry laid out the chain of events that led to the verge of a breakdown.

Clearly stung by Mr. Kerry’s portrayal and his focus on the settlement issue, Israel countered on Wednesday that it was the Palestinians who had “violated their fundamental commitments” by applying last week to join 15 international conventions and treaties.

Mr. Kerry’s remarks “will both hurt the negotiations and harden Palestinian positions,” said an official in the office of the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

***

Israel imposed economic sanctions against the Palestinians on Thursday in retaliation for their leadership signing international conventions, moves that further complicate U.S. efforts to keep peace talks from collapsing before an April 29 deadline.

An Israeli official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Jewish state would deduct debt payments from tax transfers which the Palestinian Authority routinely receives, and limit the self-rule government’s bank deposits in

On Wednesday, Israel said it was limiting its contacts with Palestinian officials, citing Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’s signing of U.N. human rights conventions last week.

Israel viewed that move as an attempt by the Palestinians to assume the trappings of statehood outside the framework of the U.S.-backed negotiations.

***

Sources in Jerusalem confirmed Thursday that Israel has presented the Palestinians with a new package aimed at extending peace talks, and the US has not taken the possible release of Israeli agent Jonathan Pollard off of the table.

A diplomatic source said that “if the Palestinian Authority agrees to stop its plans to join a number of international treaties and conventions, Israel will agree to a new prisoner release package in return for the continuation of negotiations until the end of the year at a minimum.”

According to the source, the Palestinians expressed willingness to consider the compromise offer put on the table by Justice Minister Tzipi Livni.

The emerging deal will allow both sides to “come down from the tree” and appear publicly as if they did not compromise on their positions.

***

The State Department said on Thursday that progress was being made in U.S.-mediated negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians meant to keep peace talks going, but denied reports from the region that there had been an agreement.

“Our negotiating team and both parties remain in intensive negotiation. They had another meeting today. The gaps are narrowing but any speculations about an agreement are premature at this time,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told a regular briefing.

Asked precisely what the negotiators were trying to achieve, Psaki said: “We are working to determine what the path forward is for these negotiations.”

Psaki said that the U.S. mediator, Martin Indyk, would be returning to Washington for consultations “in the coming days” but would return to the region next week.

***

But if the negotiations had been serious, if the Palestinians were really looking at them as though they could lead to a final agreement on the contours of a state, Abbas and his team wouldn’t have let the talks go “poof” over the new permits.

These talks mean nothing to them; they’ve done nothing to advance negotiations in all these months. They’ve moved on nothing, agreed to nothing, made no goodwill gestures toward Israel or the United States.

And Kerry? He’s basically fine with this. He’s full of understanding. He understands it would be difficult for Mahmoud Abbas to acknowledge Israel as a “Jewish state,” so he doesn’t act as though Abbas’ refusal to do so says anything about Abbas’ viability as a negotiating partner.

Abbas’ recalcitrance should’ve told John Kerry everything he needed to know.

But Kerry doesn’t want to know. What he wants is a Nobel Peace Prize he’s never going to get.

***

John Kerry seemed intent on doing that too. But his version of the framework has never been announced–and the chance of the two parties’ producing their own mutually agreed-upon outline evaporated long ago, if it ever existed in the first place. Kerry deserves credit for the energy he’s put into the process, but there has been a tinge of desperation to his efforts over the past months–a reminder of the wobbly garrulousness that has damaged President Obama’s foreign policy since he took office. Kerry raised the loathsome possibility of releasing Jonathan Pollard, a U.S. citizen who spied for Israel, in order to cajole the Israelis into continuing the talks. Then, in congressional testimony on April 8, he weirdly blamed the Israelis for the impasse because of their insistence on building 700 new apartments in an East Jerusalem neighborhood, Gilo, that everyone assumes will be part of Israel if the borders are redrawn. There has been, as with Syria last summer, a melted cheesiness to his public statements when the heat is on.

Why hasn’t Kerry published a framework for the talks as promised? In my interviews with current and former diplomats, a prevailing theme emerged: a reiteration of the Clinton framework would activate the Sheldon Adelson neoconservative wing of the Republican Party, plus many Christian evangelicals who see the annexation of the West Bank territories as biblical prophesy, and this is a fight that Obama doesn’t particularly want at this point. Why not? The President may want to keep his powder dry, in part to keep Jewish voters on the reservation in the 2014 midterms but also because another, more promising fight is looming with the neoconservatives–over the Iran nuclear talks.

***

So now the two sides are back to being on about equal footing. Both sides have behaved badly and will have to step back from the precipice, if Kerry plays it right. By leaving a team under U.S. envoy Martin Indyk in place on the scene, the door is open for resurrecting the deal that was on the verge of being completed when the Palestinians decided to move their efforts to the U.N.

An agreement can be envisioned in which Abbas terminates his U.N. gambit, the Israelis withdraw their plans for economic retaliation, the Palestinian prisoners who were going to be released are released, the U.S. releases convicted spy Jonathan Pollard, and possibly the Israelis make some muted statement about restraint on construction in disputed territories in the future. Each side would be able to state that had it not been for their tough actions, a deal would have been impossible.

If something like this scenario transpires, the wisdom of Kerry’s approach would suddenly and resoundingly be reinforced.

***

In any event, this “injustice” is also self-inflicted, since three times in the past 15 years the Palestinians have refused offers of a state on most of the territory taken by Israel in 1967 and with Jerusalem as its capital. They have justified these refusals by one pretext or another, but as anyone willing to look can see, what they truly want is not a state of their own living side by side with Israel but a state that replaces Israel altogether.

With this we come to the main reason I believe that the Palestinians do not deserve any sympathy, let alone the astonishing degree of it they do receive (and not least from many of my fellow Jews). It is that ever since the day of Israel’s birth in 1948, they have never ceased declaring that their goal is to wipe it off the map. In all other contexts, this would be called by its rightful name of genocide and condemned by all decent people. Yet—here we go topsy-turvy again—for any and every step Israel takes to defend itself against so shamelessly evil an intent, it is the Israelis who are obsessively condemned at the U.N. and by the increasingly strident propagators of what calls itself “anti-Zionism” but is also increasingly indistinguishable from anti-Semitism.

Nor, alas, is it only the leaders of the Palestinians who harbor this evil intent. As revealed by poll after poll, as well as by the elections that led the way for Hamas to take power in Gaza, a decisive majority of the Palestinian people does so as well. No doubt this is the fruit of relentless indoctrination from above, but the damage has been done, and the end result is what it is.

***

Nothing has changed in all the months (years, even) of talks. If Iran refuses to acknowledge it even has a nuclear weapons program, it is not going to give it up. Kerry operates in a world in which “no” never means “no.”

These reports lead to several conclusions. First, lawmakers who want to give Kerry “time to negotiate” with Iran are fooling themselves. In forgoing alternative steps in favor of fruitless negotiations, they are enabling the Iranians. Indeed, Kerry confirms that Iran’s breakout time is now only two months. Second, the time spent in the “peace process” has been a waste and, if anything, has frittered away whatever credibility Kerry had. Kerry’s initial impulse is invariably to blame Israel (before he resorts to moral equivalence), but in fact it’s the Palestinians who have refused to give up their hopes of a one-state (an Arab one) solution and now have gone in search of unilateral recognition. Here again, Congress should not sit idly by. The Palestinian Authority has broken its international agreements and should, as a result of its “unity government” with Hamas, lose at least some U.S. funding. (Those organizations that accept the PA should lose the benefit of U.S. membership as well as U.S. funding.)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

get the Mason Jars and can it OC..

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:00 AM

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 3:54 AM

Cool, thanks. Will a plastic bucket work?

OmahaConservative on April 11, 2014 at 4:04 AM

now that was funny..fred n barney smoking away..
I promise to withhold the ..
and then Winston went on to Sponsor NASCAR…jokes

granny too..

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 3:49 AM

That BH commercial was funny.

non-nonpartisan on April 11, 2014 at 4:05 AM

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:00 AM

I have a bunch of pint and quart canning jars and lids, and a thirty gallon pressure cooker…

OmahaConservative on April 11, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Yeah, Mark Lamon’Hill is funny as long as he keeps HIS politics out of it… Jim Norton is another of my favs… NOW, HE is funny… kathyk

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Norton’s good. I like Jesse Joyce, and Dana Vachon, before he went crazy.

non-nonpartisan on April 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM

hawkdriver on April 11

very cool…are you inside you outside??
we still have bits snow on the ground ..
I have been playing with the 3 downloads from jpl..

id say we need another couple dozen Kepler spacescopes…
the things the one has seen are spectacular so far..

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM

OC

I corrected some of the procedure below:

How do I pack and store it? How do I ferment it? Give me a great grandma recipe please…

OmahaConservative on April 11, 2014 at 3:41 AM
Put 5 lbs cabbage in crock (or 5 gallon buckets work GOOD) mix in 3 tbls kosher or canning salt =mix it around a little bit – stomp it down – I use my fist or a tater masher. 5 more lbs of cabbage & 3 Tbls salt…mix the salt in, pack it – keep going til it is full. stomp/pack it til it gets juicy.The salt brings the water out of the cabbage while you are stomping/packing. You do need to keep it covered with a dishtowel during the curing time, make sure there is juice to cover… if not, then add some salt to water & pour it in til it is above the kraut. takes 6-8 weeks to ‘cure‘ – then you can either can it or freeze it. I have to do all the chopping for 10 huge heads of cabbage – your work is already done !!! just add salt ! you could do a couple of 5 gallon buckets in about an hour… it is worth it !! Have fun !!! kathyk

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 3:54 AM

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 4:16 AM

OmahaConservative on April 11

250 pounds in Quart size jars …
that’s 125 if you can get 2pounds per..
but you will have it for years…
maybe find three or more ways to can it…
with garlic
with onions
with herbs..

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:16 AM

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Inside. I was stargazing in the den and working on paperwork at the same time.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 4:22 AM

No. Come on. Focus.

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 4:28 AM

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Oh, Gavin McInnes is awesome, too.

Red Eye Panel Battles Over ‘Amnesty’ For Illegal Immigrants

non-nonpartisan on April 11, 2014 at 4:29 AM

Plastic buckets work just fine !!

and then use your pints to can it.
NO pressure cooker tho – use the pressure cooker as a water bath canner just don’t put the lid on all the way. Water bath for 15 minutes. I have made 100′s of pints & quarts in the past 20 years… AND, the recipe I got from the German lady that we bought our house from… You might be able to use up 100 lbs of your cabbage if you do 2 5 gallon buckets… Find someone else at your church that does canning – ‘share’ the cabbage !!!! kathyk

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 4:29 AM

hawkdriver on April 11
time for me to call these guys…
lucky you…indoors…its probably 60 some down your way…

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:30 AM

and the complete list of …hot products for 2014 ..sky and telescope

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:33 AM

Oh, Gavin McInnes is awesome, too.

Red Eye Panel Battles Over ‘Amnesty’ For Illegal Immigrants

non-nonpartisan on April 11, 2014 at 4:29 AM

Yep Gavin is another favorite !!

Hi Hawkdriver - up awful late tonight, ey?
Always NICE to see you here. !! kathyk

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:33 AM

I have an old Meade with okay lenses. I want a new one too.

Hi Hawkdriver – up awful late tonight, ey?
kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM

Yeah, I have paperwork I have to turn email to the new boss by today. Big day too. Taking the F150 to the body shop before I go back on the road also. (Accumulated farm dings to include side-swiping a horse gate)

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 4:38 AM

Yike G2M. You must have robbed a bank. Too rich for my blood.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 4:40 AM

^ Seal the job.

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 4:41 AM

Hawk – Good luck with the paperwork !! I HATE paperwork…. been there done that…

Get that truck all spiffied up !!
I need brakes on my car -I let my 87 year old father in law borrow my car -Now I have NO brakes !! I ‘think’ he drove it with the emergency brakes on – pedal goes almost all the way to the floor… and the ‘brake’ light is on… kathyk

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 4:45 AM

you can watch them build the new James Webb Telescope here..
they have two web cams in the high bay at Goddard..

I have a dated Meade here too…
you can see Jupiter and the rings of Saturn..
but time for an upgrade…
maybe one of those remote rooftop/computer deals…

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:51 AM

this would be bank robbing time..HD

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 4:58 AM

come down from the tree

I thought it was going to be an evolution thread.

davidk on April 11, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Yep Gavin is another favorite !!

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM

The Best of Miles McInnes

non-nonpartisan on April 11, 2014 at 5:05 AM

<– Refusing to talk to Hawk due to laser-like focus at task at hand. Already pricing Everlast punching bags, which is bad enough.

Focus. Focus.

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 3:45 AM

O.

M.

G.

Do you know what my friends call me?

The Bloody Queen of Amazon

I’ve bought EVERYTHING on Amazon.com…well, except milk, sex and body parts…and Everlasting punching bags…but probably every other type of equipment. I’ve got thousands of CDs and DVDs that I had to put into books because of space. So many books that I was thrilled when Kindle came out due to space. Of course, I now have 12 of those. Not kidding. Every time that they release a new one, I’m on it. I’ve got every cooking thing you can imagine. Tools? I am kitted out even though most are pristine. Food? Caviar, Jewish rugula, biscuits. Wine. Garbage bags. Make up galore. Every pair of yoga pants and top. You name it. The weird thing is that everything is always perfectly in its place even though it may have never been used. But, here’s the key: I know that it is there. I know where it is. And, when it is needed – if ever – I’m covered.

When something pops in my head that I need, I go straight to Amazon and have it delivered. The doorman used to FREAK. OUT. 4 or 5 days a week the delivery guy would arrive (I’ve tapered off) and, sometimes, there would be 20 or 25 boxes waiting for me when I got back home. HAHAHA! I swear, I would laugh so hard. The entire building thought that I was crazy, but, dude, if they ever needed anything, they knew where to come. ‘Do you have a glue gun? Why, yes. I have five. Do you need the regular, the ex-large, the miniature, the regular wood, or the miniature wood?’

At anytime of the day when something popped into my head that I needed or wanted, I went straight to my computer. At one time, I think my ex-husband thought that I was having an affair with the FedEx or UPS driver. God, i have tears rolling down my face in laughter right now just thinking about it.

Now, I find out that Axie, Baby! is a male Sophie. I think Guam might have tipped over. lolz

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:13 AM

I miss Andy too.

non-nonpartisan on April 11, 2014 at 3:48 AM

IIRC (with these allergies driving me nuts, I have only had catnaps the last few days so I am all time-screwed up), he was on last night. I’m almost certain it was him and they were talking about Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Brandeis.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Spark: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Up-Wire-Sunglasses-Aqua/dp/B00GMSTLMM

Eh? :)

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 4:26 AM

What did I tell you! lolz

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:19 AM

kennedyk49 on April 11, 2014 at 4:45 AM

lol!

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 5:24 AM

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:19 AM

Did you see the comment from me the other day asking about a legal term?

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 5:26 AM

No, hawk. What was it?

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Is there a single legal term to describe someone who is avoiding your on purpose to avoid fulfilling some contractual agreement.

Rendering services, paying funds owed etc.

And achieving this by ignoring emails, phone calls, text messages. Failing to meet at prescribed or agreed on appointments.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 5:37 AM

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:13 AM

That’s too funny. SparkPlug is iffy this late/early, but I hope, hope, hope he sees that glue gun thing in particular. :)

You’re all over tonight, dude. Half of this trip is with you in mind. The clip-on mike and the cam is for your SB video tutorial, which is going to finally happen soon, and I am even trying to cover a couple pointless small things that occurred to me need fixing “in the background.” :p I have to make sure everything’s going to be covered with what I have now — there’s no guarantee of any extra within any particular “later” — and for reasons I refuse to listen to, part of me says a couple of these weird things are actually a priority this month.

Not food, mind. EL wire.

I think this pining need for rock-and-roll that I’m feeling is just . . . it’s just time to misbehave, is all. :) –Yes, yes, billion dollar software empire. More serious work to do here. But, how long has it been since we’ve played, man? Serious work has been going on for years. What use is any of it if you’re never going to . . .

^ Stuff in my head, lately. :)

Sorry about your allergies, nougat. Truly.

I used to have those. And asthma to go along with it. It just sort of stopped one day — the asthma and the plant allergies (mostly). You can still nuke me with a horse, though.

I’m saving this Amazon post of yours. :) Too funny. 12? lol

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 5:48 AM

Sorry. Didn’t mean to step on you guys. :) I accidentally over-typed while you got serious and legal.

Should be finishing, anyway. I’ve about got this. And it only took all night.

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Should be finishing, anyway. I’ve about got this. And it only took all night.

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Me not care. You have to be a patient soul when you ask for free things.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 5:52 AM

Were you the purchaser or the seller?

It sounds as though the other party is in material breach of the contract. The remedies would depend on the type of contract and what you are owed. If you are the buyer and he has failed to deliver, there’s avoidance of contract, which is basically a negation that still permits you to sue for damages, specific performance and/or legal fees and costs. If you are the seller and he is in material breach, generally, you would just have to file suit or, if it qualifies, seek a mechanics or other type of lien.

A lot of contracts specify what must be done in the event of a breach, i.e., whether there is a time for remediation, mediation or arbitration, etc.

Can you tell me a little of the facts?

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Good morning ladies and gents and pets. Been raining all night but this weeekend is supposed to be spectacular.

crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Can you tell me a little of the facts?

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM

In a nutshell, I was the client. General Contractor fell behind in schedule and overdrew our building loan/lost track of funds drew and pre-contruction down payments. This last year off from work was all about getting him to try to finish this home. We basically finessed the interior ourselves and paid other contractors to finish things he started.

The Cliff Note outcome is to avoid court, Mrs Hawdriver (not her real name) and myself expressed to him the desire to seek restitution for

Services not rendered.
Added Expense.
Loss of Use.
And outright failing to use funds drawn on our home.

He agreed to pay us back without going to court. We agreed to allow him a payable. He was up to payment three and just dropped off the planet so to speak. Did all of the things in the previous comment to include, just not showing up at the agreed time to hand over three dated checked so I didn’t have to keep trying to run him down. (not literally)

I am looking for a term that describes his avoidance of the wife and I.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

You’re all over tonight, dude. Half of this trip is with you in mind…

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 5:48 AM

No kidding. From INXS to Amazon and personal stuff, which I don’t often do. Well, except for the times when I really, really have to. You know, like telling trolls that I used to love to pull the wings off of dragonflies as a child. So, they’d better watch it. hehehe

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

payable = pay table

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:06 AM

Debt evasion.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Well, to that — I was starving for some of that anyway. :) Heh.

Go allergies! I owe you one. *allergies fist bump*

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Is there any place on the internet to watch all this space stuff?

crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 6:23 AM

If you haven’t read it, I suggest going to Steynonline and reading Mark’s absolute beat down of the chickenshits at Brandeis…

Doc Holliday on April 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM

For the record, Steyn gets zero play here at H/A and I can’t figure out why. He is an unbelievable talent. I will work to remedy that.

Jaibones on April 11, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Omaha conservative you might want to call the local extension service and find out if any farmers can use your cabbage. There is someone in the local penny saver who advertises that he wants left over stuff like that. He says his livestock will apprecialte it. Cows probably can’t eat it but other animals might.

crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Good morning ladies and gents and pests. crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 6:03 AM

I get my own personal shout out!! First one!!! Oh wait, PEST? High today 76, Saturday 78, and Sunday 80. Taking my girls to see Non-Stop on Sunday; by girls I am talking about my two youngest daughters and not my Moobs.

First little victory of the morning……I pushed Preview before Submit!

HonestLib on April 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM

First little victory of the morning……I pushed Preview before Submit!

HonestLib on April 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Wimp. :)

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Debt evasion.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Looked and read online after your comment. That looks about right.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:59 AM

I am looking for a term that describes his avoidance of the wife and I.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Shoot,that happens to us all the time.

HonestLib on April 11, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Wimp. :)

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Well, I was going to mention the annual removal of my man sweater…..aka waxing my back, but I did not want to overdo it first thing in the morning. Brings a tear to me eye just thinking about it.

HonestLib on April 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM

I am looking for a term that describes his avoidance of the wife and I.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Fraud comes to mind.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Something fun for a Friday morning:

Legislation that would make the Holy Bible the official state book of Louisiana cleared the House Committee on Municipal, Parochial and Cultural Affairs with a vote of 8-5 Thursday afternoon. It will now head to the full House of Representatives for consideration.

Atheists, a despicably intolerant under the best of circumstances, are going to go crazy if this legislation goes anywhere.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Fraud comes to mind.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM

In discussions with him, we mentioned we’d assert that in court. If you can prove fraudulent business practices in our state you can be awarded punitive damages.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I am looking for a term that describes his avoidance of the wife and I.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Did you get any of this in writing, sign a contract, etc.?

crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Did you get any of this in writing, sign a contract, etc.?

crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Sure did. He’s made two monthly payments already.

Folks, need a quick nap before I take the truck in for a hair-do. Thanks RWM, have great days all!

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 7:28 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Give me the “Hawk Signal” and I will send my two good friends “Three-Finger Brown” and “Vinny The Chin” over for a social visit.

HonestLib on April 11, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Hawk driver: we went through a similar issue a few years ago, but on a much smaller scale over a small home improvement project. We contacted the state attorney general office (Indiana) and we were able to get most of our money back.

Good luck. It sounds like no fun.

esr1951 on April 11, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.

The essence of good government is trust.

- Kathleen Sebelius

My take: Sibelius Resigns. When the Going Gets Tough…

kingsjester on April 11, 2014 at 8:07 AM

My take: Sibelius Resigns. When the Going Gets Tough…

kingsjester on April 11, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Good one KJ. Even with the new Senate rules (virtually ensuring confirmation) I’m wondering just how bruising the confirmation process will be. And how much the administration wants the story to be about the GOP going out after a girl.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Thanks. Yep. None of her background will be brought up.

kingsjester on April 11, 2014 at 8:37 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Did you get any of this in writing, sign a contract, etc.?

crankyoldlady on April 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Sure did. He’s made two monthly payments already.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Good luck. It sounds like no fun.

esr1951 on April 11, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Depending on your state contact your state OAG’s office especially if the contractor has a state issued license or if he’s operating without a license?

Unjust enrichment might be the legal remedy for breach of contract?

wiki link

I’m not a lawyer…but I’ve run into problems getting paid for contracted work…and it sucks.

Good Luck.

workingclass artist on April 11, 2014 at 8:44 AM

you didn’t watch…
Monty Python’s Flying Circus?

going2mars on April 11, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Monty Python was funny for exactly,…..never.

Lanceman on April 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Q&A site on contractor problems answered by legal eagles in different states.

workingclass artist on April 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM

For me, the audacity of the “Palestinians” signing a human rights convention is that Hamas in Gaza routinely violate human rights, and both “Palestinian” and Jordanian law require the death penalty for anyone who sells property to a Jew. Meanwhile, Israeli law forbids discriminating against anyone when it comes to selling property.

RockinRickOwen on April 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Two smoking credit cards and two handfuls of hair later, an exhausted Axe completes Thursday night.

“Here” is never going to feel like “there”; “there” is going to feel exactly like “here.” Therefore the work to be done is on the feeling of here, so that when here becomes there, the experience of there is everything anyone hoped it would be. A weirdness that leaps up onto the table at this point and gawks like a madman is that, in the process of making here feel like one hopes there will feel, here becomes there — for all practical purposes. There might have different outside trappings, but the bit of there inside was here already. Further weirdness swinging onto the table from the chandelier at this further point is that, since the bit of there inside is always here first, all the outside trappings of there, imagined to cause the feelings of there and therefore desperately sought — it’s why anyone wants to move from here to there to begin with — really, in the end, have nothing to do with it.

If any of that assessment is close, this here-is-there business unlocks two riddles for me. The first is difficult, involves God, and I’m skipping it. But the second is easy and quick, the riddle of the hot babe. How can a boy possibly — while being whole and sane, anyway — work ten years on something, say — longer — and feel as though he must complete it before he leaves this life or he will have completed nothing at all, will have failed to run his race, and then turn around and in a metaphorical day, having met a girl, feel like it really doesn’t matter if he finishes it or not? I mean, beyond a desire to finish what he started and so on — other concerns. There are answers that theoretically fit, but they require ignoring the girl: people change, burnout, etc. But I think it might be simpler: she makes him feel like he’s there. There’s really nothing to go out and get anymore. He already has everything.

The poor, hapless b@stard. Even if he lost the girl, he could never go back. He’ll know better, that the work may bring wonderful results, even be important in some sense and within the will of God for his life — but none of the results involve “there” — which was the whole of the original point and the fundamental motivation for the prerequisite zeal. It’s hard to hack your way through the competition while smiling like a serene idiot.

It’s startling to look at the humble little house in the Western and realize for the first time that the man living there, who I never before understood because I could never understand why he had no ambition and didn’t seem to miss it — already has everything there is to have. Not only is he not a loser — he’s already won. The loser would be the guy spending his short life building a billion dollar software empire and missing the entire point.

Thus concluding: 1. Chicks are evil, 2. Dire Straits has the right attitude, 3. I suppose I can still do this crap for fun, 4. I get weird when I get tired, 5. I wish someone would write all this obvious crap down and read it in lieu of “school” so that I wouldn’t have to keep tripping over things everyone else already knows, 6. I’m going to that crawfish boil tomorrow, and I’m going to have a beer and relax, 7. I’ll be doing significantly more of that kind of thing in the years to come, 8. Seriously — they’re evil.

/just-talking, QOTD OpEd style

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Axe on April 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Tab A goes into Slot B. Any other questions? Chuckle.

HonestLib on April 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM