Hm: Add Rep. Marsha Blackburn to your 2016 pools, people

posted at 9:41 pm on April 10, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

An aide for Rep. Marsha Blackburn today suggested she’ll “test the waters” for a possible 2016 run for president. The tough, diminutive Tennessee mom of two is serving her fifth term in the House. She’s admirably unafraid to walk into the lion’s den at MSNBC, and often comes out swinging with success. She also takes an active interest in tech policy, reaching out to conferences and communities not used to a lot of visits from Republicans.

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. — Tennessee Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn will consider running for president in 2016 — if she sees an opportunity to do so, an aide to the 7th District Republican told RealClearPolitics.

Blackburn is scheduled to be one of the speakers at a New Hampshire Republican rally this weekend but was not previously known to be mulling a White House bid.

“If there’s a door to kick down, she’s willing to kick it down,” the aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said. “These are the kinds of events you go to — test the waters, and see what the reaction is.”

Blackburn is a staunch social and fiscal conservative who was first elected to Congress in 2002, and a presidential run by her would be a long shot by any measure.

But with no women known to be plotting a 2016 bid on the Republican side, she has the potential to stir up the pot in a wide-open race for the nomination.

“There is kind of a void to fill there,” the Blackburn aide said of the likely GOP presidential field. “Whenever there’s been a need for leadership or someone to get out there and fight the fight, she’s always been the first in line and she’s not afraid of it. She’s not afraid to go toe to toe with anybody.”

She’s sharp with a great Southern-woman demeanor and accent for bringing the hammer down on someone without looking like a jerk. Should be fun to watch her.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

He did more to destroy states rights than any single other person in the history of this nation.
Personally, I do not count him as a great President.

astonerii on April 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM

He didn’t cause the conflict over slavery that led to the south trying to leave. He did what he had to do to save the only constitutional republic there was at that time.

kcewa on April 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Yea, whatever. btw, did you eat fish for dinner? Your smell fishy.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Does she have Kathleen Parker’s blessing?

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Yea, whatever. btw, did you eat fish for dinner? Your smell fishy.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM

On amnesty bluegill is always right.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

A candidate needs to come out now, strongly against amnesty. And that includes any kind of special pathway to legalization. The “legalization but no citizenship right away” position should be a disqualifier.

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

On amnesty bluegill is always right.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

JUST amnesty? heh

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

If the Demons try to Palinize anyone else, there better be blood in the streets. We can not let that happen again.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I like your posts..but this one is delusional,
my friend….it WILL happen. AGAIN.

ToddPA on April 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Sad to say, but Marsha Blackburn is open to amnesty:

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM

You’re a bot that’s activated when Hot Air prints “2016″ aren’t you?

kcewa on April 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

JUST amnesty? heh

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Amnesty trumps all else. I’m dead serious.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:50 PM

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Learn something from the Demoncrats, who keep winning elections. If you want to do something unpopular, like inflaming the “latinos”, keep it quiet until AFTER your elected.

For you, the KEEP QUIET part is critical.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I sometimes feel discouraged when candidates, whom I otherwise mostly like, cave on amnesty, but I’m trying to stay hopeful. I hate having to keep crossing off potential candidates from my list because of their positions on amnesty, but I feel like I have no other choice.

I am definitely open to hearing what they all have to say, and I am eager to see who runs, but amnesty is not an issue I believe we should ever cave on.

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I like your posts..but this one is delusional,
my friend….it WILL happen. AGAIN.

ToddPA on April 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Oh, I am sure it will happen again too, but there should be retribution and fighting this time. No slow GOPe roll.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM

barky is keeping half the country from seceding over their stance on slavery? I see your lame, and raise you one. captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM

In barkys mind it is just.

It matters not why you violate the Constitution, does it?

Do we rely on intent?

That’s the point.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Amnesty trumps all else. I’m dead serious.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Yes, amnesty can’t happen. That does not change the irritant value of the gilled one’s posts.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

By the time, Palin responded to the left it was already too late. She let the left define her. Blackburn would never let that happen. Blackburn knows how to deal with the left and she wouldn’t back down.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Unfortunately, the McCain campaign put Nicole Wallace in charge of the Palin part of the campaign. I am convinced Wallace was a mole for Obama. Wallace was responsible for Palin’s $125k wardrobe and arranged for Palin’s 4 hour Couric interview, which took place over two days.

bw222 on April 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM

The “legalization but no (path to) citizenship right away” position should be a disqualifier.

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

This would immediately be challenged in court and they’d be made citizens.

Once they are legalized, they are green card holders and can do all things, except vote, heh (on the latter, especially for Ds).

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Fluke all the politicians, from both sides, who’re for amnesty. It means that they are implicitly against the US youth, legal workers, legal immigrants, an insult to the land. NO other land has the immigration chaos the US has.

Immigration reform, for legal immigration, is NOT amnesty.

In general, never call them anything other than illegal aliens. This is what the official gov’t calls them.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I’m all with you on being “strongly against amnesty”, but I insist the most important thing for our next conservative POTUS candidate to state publicly, and LOUDLY is :

“Government regulations and social programs aren’t the solution to the problem, government regulations and social programs ARE the problem.”

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM

It matters not why you violate the Constitution, does it?

Do we rely on intent?

That’s the point.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

The several slave states were not acting Constitutionally. Don’t blame Lincoln. There is no moral equivalency between the two men and their actions, nor the circumstances they were in. Quit with the LAME argument, or show us all how Lincoln rammed through Abecare.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Anyone who doesn’t like my previous comment, and is one, is free to go back to the country of origin. The USA is not your welfare teet, nor the “love-pool” of the world, as Jeb Bush thinks.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM

It wasn’t about slavery to begin with. I was economics.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

This trumps all else.

If amnesty passes, say good night to the USA and to the Rs, deservedly. If they, the Rs pass it, I’ll avidly campaign for the Ds.

No, I’m not for them; I hate them with all I got, but in such a case the destruction would have to be expedited, so the Ds own it and the Rs go to Hell, where they belong.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM

It matters not why you violate the Constitution, does it?
In barkys mind it is just.

Do we rely on intent?

That’s the point.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Lincoln’s argument was that the confederates were violating the constitution by leaving and the North went to war to preserve it. The South of course saw it differently – I don’t know if that will ever be settled.

Barack is just violating the constitution for “a higher purpose”. He’s certainly not fighting to preserve it.

kcewa on April 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Immigration reform, for legal immigration, is NOT amnesty.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Agreed. This “immigration reform” must be addressed, but the second any pol tries to keep their options open by not screaming “kick out the illegals now!”, bluegill is there to equate that to amnesty.

Seriously, immigration reform must be tackled. Amnesty just can’t be part of it. The issue must be nuanced by the conservative side to pass under the progressive radar. People that demand a die on the hill commitment leave no room for maneuver.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM

It wasn’t about slavery to begin with. I was economics.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Precisely, the economics of slavery. Free labor has a way of affecting profits.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM

It wasn’t about slavery to begin with. I was economics.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I can’t believe we would have still had :

1) – States trying to secede from the union

2) – A civil war
… if there had not been the practice of legally institutionalized slavery.

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Yes, I know I am annoying on here sometimes. Sorry about that. Let me make a pledge: if a strongly anti-amnesty candidate wins the presidency in 2016, I will never post here again. How’s that for motivation to get you all to go volunteer for someone good? Hehe.

Anyway, I am off for the night. Take care, all!

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM

I’m tired of Mitt Romneys. He was a nice guy but didn’t fight.

Fight, or go/stay home. And don’t b/s the nation. Otherwise you, the candidate, is no different than obama. He had the house/senate for two years and passed nothing, other than obama’care’. The illegal aliens and their lots should blame him.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:04 PM

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM

nite. glub glub

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Nite bg, and never quit the fight, no matter what they call you.

This is the fight for your future.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:05 PM

The illegal aliens and their lots should blame him.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:04 PM

You must be an old white guy. ;)

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Anyway, I am off for the night. Take care, all!

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM

I’m trying to be “irritating” too. How come she’s getting all of the attention?

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

e several slave states were not acting Constitutionally. Don’t blame Lincoln. There is no moral equivalency between the two men and their actions, nor the circumstances they were in. Quit with the LAME argument, or show us all how Lincoln rammed through Abecare. captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Moral equivealence doesn’t have anything to do with adherence to law.

Anyone can find “moral” reason to break the law.

They both broke the law.

I grant you Lincoln did it for good reason, but it sets up a precedent that can be used for bad.

And it is being used.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

On the immigration/amnesty thing, I just don’t get it:

Other Western countries at least try to pretend that they have some limits on immigration, given that legal immigrants are allowed to claim the same social benefits (education, health and welfare) as native born citizens. When unemployment goes up, the numbers of legal immigrants allowed in goes down, to ensure that native born citizens are able to find work. For example, immigration policy along these lines has been standard in both New Zealand and Australia for years. New Zealand ended so-called “birth tourism” in 2003 and Australia ended it some years prior. Also, labour unions scream like girls on the topic of legal immigration when unemployment rises.

I understand there will always be the bleeding-heart hard Left that reflexively rolls out the red carpet of immigration to those who have brown or black skin and claim to be coming from poor countries. However fortunately for the rest of us, that kind of Leftist is definitely in the minority.

But.

Are we so far down the road of crony capitalism that business types will push for amnesty of illegals just so they can depress wages, regardless of the outcome, to the point where business types will partner with the hard Left to do it? Are the business types really that phucking stupid as to not understand amnesty is a Pandora’s box that, once opened, will mean the end of the American dream for most people?

I know, I know, I’ve already answered my own question.

Human nature is what it is, and history is doomed to repeat itself: we are looking at the doorway to another Dark Ages. Thanks, Mother Rome…

Wanderlust on April 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM

You must be an old white guy. ;)

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

And a “racist”, don’t forget, meh. I helped more blacks get themselves free, forever, than obama himself.

He moped about “racism” after 50 years, the divisive swine of the land. He’s the half-black preezie, he needs to be reminded. He set race-relations back by years and years, at least by 30. I helped people become totally independent, for good.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:08 PM

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Agree. Government regulation won’t stop immigration that’s being driven by economic factors. It’s made the problem worse. We need to manage it in the way Canada does.

kcewa on April 10, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I’m tired of Mitt Romneys. He was a nice guy but didn’t fight.

Fight, or go/stay home.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Agreed. I have clients like him, wealthy CEO types. That half smile thing he does is a dead give away for the type of behavior that follows, which we all got to witness.

We need an articulate, principled fighter. Think Palin or Cruz demeanor.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I’m trying to be “irritating” too. How come she’s getting all of the attention?

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

They are attracted to the perfume :)

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I’m trying to be “irritating” too. How come she’s getting all of the attention?

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

because you make sense, and don’t sound like my mother in law. :D

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM

We need an articulate, principled fighter. Think Palin or Cruz demeanor.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Anyone who fights the thugs, vehemently, until they’re beaten.

Meh, I know the abyss is in sight, and both sides are leeches. I blame the Rs more. They enable the rats.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM

And it is being used.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I don’t think Lincoln broke the law. You do. I’m done litigating this side argument tonight, lets pick it up sometime when its boring in here.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM

believe we would have still had : 1) –States trying to secede from the union 2) –A civil war . … if there had not been the practice of legally institutionalized slavery. listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM

That WAS the economics. Cotton gin, the North industrializing. Versus cheap labor.

It was all economic. Every bit of it.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I’m trying to be “irritating” too. How come she’s getting all of the attention?

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

They are attracted to the perfume :)

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM

because you make sense, and don’t sound like my mother in law. :D

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM

There’s my hearty laugh for the night . . . thanks: )
(note to self : . . . borrow wife’s perfume, and learn how to talk like captnjoe‘s mother-in-law)

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM

They both broke the law.

And it is being used.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Sorry, I see what you’re saying. But Lincoln went to war to uphold the law.
If he had tried to emancipate the slaves without compensating the slave holders (as they feared he would do, or if he would have used his “quill and telegraph” to annul Dred Scott and Federal law then he would have been violating the constitution and breaking the law like Obama.

kcewa on April 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Agreed. If we are going into the abyss, I am going with a clean conscience, voting third party. Either a conservative party forms to challenge the GOPe, and caucuses with them when need be, or we all go down in flames faster. Either way, let it burn.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Are you one of those… “transgender” people?

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Good to see her “testing the waters”..:)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I can’t believe we would have still had :

1) – States trying to secede from the union

2) – A civil war

… if there had not been the practice of legally institutionalized slavery.

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM

It was all economic. Every bit of it.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Sooo . . . . . if it wasn’t for the “legally institutionalized” practice of slavery, there wouldn’t have been any “economic” political tensions . . . . . am I getting your meaning correct ?

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

For you, the KEEP QUIET part is critical.

captnjoe

Yeah, that’s a winning strategy. Don’t take a position on anything so you don’t inflame any groups, lol. What could possibly go wrong? And never mind that is exactly what democrats don’t do.

xblade on April 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Are you one of those… “transgender” people?

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Only when I can hide behind the keyboard.

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Don’t think Lincoln broke the law. You do. I’m done litigating this side argument tonight, lets pick it up sometime when its boring in here. captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I believe many laws followed his abuses.

You can look them up.

I grew up on the east coast on the mason dixon line studying it.

I’m not knocking what happened, I’m just applying it to today.

You bend the Constitution in one way, you can bend it in another.

Barky studied how. That was his major.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM

xblade on April 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

That is not the circumstance, nor what I am saying. What I am saying is that as a candidate I should be able to say the immigration system needs to be reformed, the existing laws must be upheld, skilled folks need to be allowed in greater numbers, blah, blah, blah. I should not have to jump up and down, demanding the head of every illegal on a pike, just to satisfy nitwits like bluegill, who can not understand that losers do not make any laws.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Only when I can hide behind the keyboard.

listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

heh.

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM

The GOP hasn’t exactly earned anyone’s trust as far as amnesty goes. They tried to push amnesty under Bush, McCain supports it but lied about it during election time, then there was Rubio’s push, and Boehner toyed with it again as well. As a party they are in favor of amnesty, so if one of their members doesn’t make it clear they are against that de facto party policy then its not any great leap to assume they are in favor of it.

sharrukin on April 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM

o . . . . . if it wasn’t for the “legally institutionalized” practice of slavery, there wouldn’t have been any “economic” political tensions . . . . . am I getting your meaning correct ? listens2glenn on April 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

No, it would have happened anyway. Maybe slower.

Everybody wants to act like the North was all rightous about slavery.

Do you believe that’s why we went to war? To free slaves?

That’s not why.

Maybe some, but on a whole…

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Personally, I do not count him as a great President.

astonerii on April 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Lame.

He did what he had to do. Would you have preferred him let the south secede on the merits of slavery?

captnjoe on April 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Yes, I would have preferred he let the South go, rather than kill 600,000 people. He is easily the worst president in history.

cimbri on April 11, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Blackburn, a good southern woman that is sharp as a tack and the perfect antidote for a man named Barack Hussein Obama. !

Attractive and youthful, but surprise, she is also a grandma. Her story is of a person that didn’t have everything to start with, but rose to her current prominence through gumption and natural talent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha_Blackburn

See her in a bunch of videos on the Marsha Blackburn Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RepMarshaBlackburn

anotherJoe on April 11, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Marsha Blackburn is a smart woman with a bright future, but like Rand Paul, Cruz, and Rubio, she needs to get some administrative experience before she thinks about applying for the world’s biggest job, running an operation (the federal government) with a budget larger than the entire economy of any other nation except Japan and China.

A term or two as Governor of Tennessee would give her the requisite experience to be a serious candidate.

Adjoran on April 11, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Yes! Marsha/Captnipjoe Captnipjoe/Marsha 2016!

Varchild on April 11, 2014 at 4:52 AM

Yep, love her. And I have the pleasure of living in her district!

melle1228 on April 11, 2014 at 7:40 AM

She would get slaughtered halal style in a MSNBC debate moderated by candy growly, against jeb.

Murphy9 on April 10, 2014 at 10:10 PM

She’s quick on her feet and tough, as she demonstrates in dealing with this gotcha question from a strange, hyper partisan, liberal hack. She should be considered for VP. And we need a good VP running mate attack dog to go after Clinton. And make no mistake, they will run on gender issues. A man cannot attack Clinton as effectively as another woman.

Basilsbest on April 11, 2014 at 7:58 AM

IMHO she is testing the waters for a VP slot or
getting name recognition for a Senate run ….

conservative tarheel on April 11, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Personally, I do not count him as a great President.

astonerii on April 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Worse even than that, Lincoln SET EVERY PRECEDENT that was used by the progressives in the 20th and now 21st centuries to destroy the Republic.

The War of the Northern Aggression was illegal, plain and simple. The Union was created by the States, it can be left by or dissolved by States.

ConstantineXI on April 11, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Basilsbest on April 11, 2014 at 7:58 AM

So she would fare about half as well as Willard Romney?

Murphy9 on April 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM

President? No, I don’t believe Ms. Blackburn has the experience necessary.

Vice President? That is filled with so much awesomeness it is hard to describe.

Marcus Traianus on April 11, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Sad to say, but Marsha Blackburn is open to amnesty:

bluegill on April 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM

No, she’s not.

Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border. (Sep 2006)
Voted YES on preventing tipping off Mexicans about Minuteman Project. (Jun 2006)
Voted YES on reporting illegal aliens who receive hospital treatment. (May 2004)
Rated 100% by FAIR, indicating a voting record restricting immigration. (Dec 2003)
Rated 100% by USBC, indicating a sealed-border stance. (Dec 2006)
Government services in English only. (Mar 2008)
Rated A by the ALI, indicating a strongly anti-amnesty stance. (Nov 2010)
Declare English as the official language of the US. (Feb 2007)

H/T astonerii

Congressman Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) issued the following statement on the immigration bill that was approved by the United States Senate today.

“The Senate amnesty bill is dead on arrival in the House of Representatives,” Blackburn said. “One of the great lessons we learned from Obamacare is that passing comprehensive reform packages creates more problems than they solve. The Senate bill is the wrong approach for America.

“I think Tennesseans want us to take up smaller bills that go through regular order and are focused on specific problems within our current immigration system. That’s what we are currently doing in the House. I do not believe in amnesty and if we are going to make any changes to our system we must start by securing our borders. Any other reform effort is meaningless if we don’t start with strengthening our border security.”

On amnesty bluegill is always right.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

No, she’s not.

Flora Duh on April 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

WOW – just saw this – this may be wonderful news.

Now then – have to go back and read through this thread.

GOP WOMEN – woohoo!

jake-the-goose on April 11, 2014 at 8:38 AM

kcewa on April 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Slavery was only one of many issues that caused the break between north and south. The two areas of the nation changed culturally in significant ways. The North was a manufacturing society while the south was an agricultural one. The North kept cost shifting the expenses of supporting the industrial states onto the federal government making the southern agricultural states pay higher and higher taxes for no advantage to their economies.

astonerii on April 11, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Right – quick read through the thread is semi-predictable.

- “Governors preferred” – I agree with that.
- “Lacks experience needed” – could be
One lunatic even put down Abraham Lincoln – say no more

If Ms. Blackburn enters the fray – I wish her well.

We are entering the “thinking about running” season.

jake-the-goose on April 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Everyone keeps saying our immigration system is broken but to me it’s just not being enforced and the fence was never built. Why don’t we try enforcing the law we have and if it proves to be as lenient or un-enforceable, see visa over stayers as an example, then tighten what needs to be stricter without all the hoopla proposed last year. Can’t these people figure out KISS. Oh, and Bless her heart for wanting to try.

Kissmygrits on April 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM

– One lunatic even put down Abraham Lincoln – say no more

jake-the-goose on April 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Try to argue otherwise than what I said. Lincoln has done more to enable the regressives of this nation than any single other person in its history. Almost every bit of the regressive agenda rests on his accomplishments.

astonerii on April 11, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Can’t these people figure out KISS. Oh, and Bless her heart for wanting to try.

Kissmygrits on April 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM

First – I like your tag name

Second – nice post – you are right ‘KISS’ is so often the solutuion.

jake-the-goose on April 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Good choice, I hope she gets in it.

georgealbert on April 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Ayotte? Nope. She rino’ed out quickly.

wolly4321 on April 10, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Amen wolly. Day 1 in office and sucking up to McLame. Instant disqualification for anything ever other than a northeast, liberal, rino pol.

Franklin100 on April 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I’d like her as a candidate but not as the nominee.

It would be nice to have a woman on the debate stage who is nominally qualified (she’d be in her seventh term in Congress) and less likely to make gaffes than Michelle Bachmann. And if Kelly Ayotte, Susanna Martinez, Nikki Haley, Cathy McMorris Rodgers or Condoleeza Rice runs, it would be nice to have two women as prominent voices of the party.

Blackburn would have weaknesses as the nominee. The significance of winning a statewide election is exaggerated, but Blackburn’s only been in one competitive general election. She lost to incumbent Bart Gordon by seventeen points in 1992. She’s been in a heavily Republican district since 2002, so she hasn’t had to worry about peeling away Obama voters.

Mister Mets on April 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Nope.
FIFY

stenwin77 on April 11, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Nope.
GovernorsTED CRUZ ONLY.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 10, 2014 at 9:44 PM

FIFM & FIFY

stenwin77 on April 11, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Name one gov. that has fought for your liberty like Cruz has.

MAYBE, Scott Walker. But I think Walker is pro-amnesty.

stenwin77 on April 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM

MAYBE, Scott Walker. But I think Walker is pro-amnesty.

stenwin77 on April 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Gov. Scott Walker: I Don’t Support Amnesty

Flora Duh on April 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM

South Carolina shed more blood and spent more treasure than any other colony during the revolutionary war. Their economy was necessitated by slavery and they, along with a majority of the other colonies would have never joined the union had that not been protected. It wasn’t called “King Cotton” for nothing and DC loved filling its coffers with the heavy taxes placed upon it. So much in fact that it led to the nullification crisis.The slave states were the only parties who continually compromised with the north regarding slavery even while the abolishionists and northern press called for their genocide by the slaves. Along comes Lincoln who talks out of both sides of his mouth on the issue. How would you have reacted to his election if you were a southerner back then? As Robert E Lee said, “A true union should not have to be held together by the point of a bayonet.” Lincoln sucked.

warren1816 on April 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Honestly, some of you folks would call Reagan a RINO for his immigration deal.

How about you dig a little deeper and look at how people have consistently voted over the years?

Judging people on isolated votes and statements is killing the Republican Party. There is no “perfect” candidate. They don’t exist- so get over it.

Politics is a game of horseshoes, not precision shooting.

Marcus Traianus on April 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

– One lunatic even put down Abraham Lincoln – say no more

jake-the-goose on April 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM

No question that slavery was one of the causes of the war. But those people who wear rose colored glasses about Lincoln being dedicated to ending slavery and a great emancipator with great moral mission are deluding themselves.

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

Lincoln Sept 18th 1858

“we, the Republican party, are the white man’s party. We are for the free white man, and for making white labor acceptable and honorable, which it can never be when Negro slave labor is brought into competition with it”

Illinois senator and Lincoln confidant Lyman Trumball 1859

“I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so”

Lincoln first inaugural address 1860

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union.

Lincoln 22 Aug 1862

SoonerMarine on April 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I would love to hear what she has to say. From what I know of her record, she is my kind of woman. What I want to know, though, is: can she lead?

loveyouall on April 11, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Honestly, some of you folks would call Reagan a RINO for his immigration deal.

Politics is a game of horseshoes, not precision shooting.

Marcus Traianus on April 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Reagan made hundreds of mistakes both as Governor of California and as President.

His immigration bill was one of them. He even admitted so in his personal diary but rabid partisans don’t or can’t admit that.

Looking to Reagan as some sort of god-king and not towards the future has been the downfall of the conservative movement.

Presidents were never supposed to be kings.

tetriskid on April 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I believe with very fiber of my heart, brain, and soul that:

If Republicans are not 100% focused on winning the Senate, holding the House and making substantial gains in governorships and state legislatures, then 2016 simply won’t matter very much. The important election is 2014, and then a real effort made to treat the disease of metastasizing government. Then and only then will the 2016 nominee matter.

2014 is an existential election for the U.S. I expect Republican incumbents and potential 2016 nominees to recognize it’s importance.

pilsener on April 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM

She does not interview well. She’s probably dumber than Rick Perry on pain meds.

faraway on April 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM

pilsener on April 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM

So was 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996, 1994, 1992, 1990, 1988…

Yeah, we are getting much closer to the end game of how much reduction of liberty Americans are willing to endure, how much money the government can create out of nothing, and how lawless the government can get before things get really bad. But honestly, do you think Americans are willing to suffer one moment or one iota more in order to prevent the end game happening?

astonerii on April 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

She’s admirably unafraid to walk into the lion’s den at MSNBC…

There are lions at MSNBC?

This is walking into a lion’s den, unafraid:

Sorry I don’t know how to truncate URLs.

thejackal on April 11, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I’d like to see her go up against Hillary.

War of Women…

Plus, Blackburn is prettier than Hillary any day of the week, can’t hurt.

nullrouted on April 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM

But honestly, do you think Americans are willing to suffer one moment or one iota more in order to prevent the end game happening? astonerii on April 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Hope still lives! I’m not sure what the American electorate will do in 2014?

I have lost all patience for talking heads & pundits who want to shift the focus to the 2016 Presidential horse-race. IMO, if Republicans don’t do well in 2014, they will have a much smaller base in 2016.

pilsener on April 11, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Trey Gowdy/Marsha Blackburn would make a great team! They are both able and willing to speak up when they see the government taking too much power and stomping on rights of the people. Neither one of them would have any problem with calling out the lies and illegal deeds of those who skirt the Constitution.

azconservativegirl on April 11, 2014 at 12:45 PM

If she does get in, I hope she hangs in until the end. At least one conservative needs to stick with it until the establishment starts trying to force Romney II down our throats. Then the conservative can be the reasonable alternative.

I think of Pawlenty in 2012. He lost a few early contests, so he dropped out in December. If he had just hung around until the Spring, he would have been the consensus non-Romney candidate, and we might have President Pawlenty today.

Haiku Guy on April 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Marcus Traianus on April 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Candidates should be judged on their records and on what they say.

Marsha Blackburn is open to amnesty/special pathway to legalization for illegal aliens:

Perhaps you all hear something different there. Of course she says she’s against “amnesty,” as McCain and Rubio do, but then she goes right on to say we need to legalize illegal aliens, just without a special pathway to citizenship (as if that would hold.)

bluegill on April 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I think a run by Rep. Blackburn would be great, particularly if Hillary runs.
That way, there will be a woman in the race.

orangemtl on April 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I’m not interested in giving politicians the benefit of the doubt on the amnesty issue. Maybe Blackburn will continue to be an ally on this issue, but then why is she saying a special “pathway to legalization” is needed, but that she doesn’t know what form it will take? She starts off great talking about the need for them to self-deport, but then she acts like there should be some special application channel for them after that point.

Not sold on her.

bluegill on April 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM

MAYBE, Scott Walker. But I think Walker is pro-amnesty.
stenwin77 on April 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Self-described “no amnesty” Walker has not only pledged his support for special pathway to legalization for illegal aliens, but he also fired a Wisc official for posting the following online comments with a personal use
computer:

“You may see Jesus when you look at them,” Krieser said in response to one comment comparing undocumented immigrants to Jesus. “I see Satan.”
Krieser went on to say that American citizens “have seen their ranches completely overrun with violent criminals who routinely raid their homes and trash their land as the stream of wretched criminals continues to flow unabated to the north, day after day, night after night.”

Following Krieser’s online escapade, it took Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker only two hours to hand the No. 3 official at the state’s DOT his exit papers.

“These comments are repugnant, completely unacceptable, and have no place in Governor Walker’s administration,” said Tom Evenson, spokesman for Walker, to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Governor Walker condemns his views, and they do not represent the governor or his administration in any way.”

bluegill on April 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Translation: Marsha “SOPA” Blackburn is a sockpuppet for Big Media and, via the likes of Opryland, Hollywood.

But hey, The tough, diminutive Tennessee mom of two is…sharp with a great Southern-woman demeanor and accent for bringing the hammer down on someone without looking like a jerk. Should be fun to watch her.

She may be a sockpuppet for crony capitalism, but she’s our sockpuppet for crony capitalism! Marsha, you go girl!!

gs on April 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’m certainly against amnesty, but I think big government is going to shove it down our throats.
Does this mean Rand Paul is toast?

Belle on April 11, 2014 at 3:13 PM

kcewa on April 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM

One last thing.
Actually, at the time there were two constitutional Republics. The United States of America and the Confederate States of America.

astonerii on April 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM