Video: CNN not exactly impressed with WH “do as we say, not as we do” pay-equity position

posted at 4:41 pm on April 8, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

How has the White House done in its pivot to the economy with its declaration of Equal Pay Day? This pivot has fared worse in the media than most of the Obama administration’s efforts, and that’s saying something. The lame defense of the White House’s own pay gap — under the same standards they use for everyone else — had CNN anchor John King and his panel laughing. King asked after hearing Jay Carney’s response, “Is that all you’ve got?”

If they expected to get a little protection from the media over the double standard they’re invoking for this limited executive action, Carney and company must be a little disappointed. CNN hit them later in the afternoon, too, offering this chyron during Obama’s big pay-equity speech:

D’oh!

Their lack of preparation for the obvious pushback suggests that the White House never expected to be challenged on their claims at all. That actually started last night, as Ashe Schow noted for the Washington Examiner:

While detailing executive actions President Obama plans to take Tuesday regarding equal pay for women, Betsey Stevenson, a member of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said very defiantly that despite women contributing 44 percent of their household incomes, they continue to make less than men. Obama has declared Tuesday “Equal Pay Day” to highlight his administration’s focus on that issue.

“They’re stuck at 77 cents on the dollar, and that gender wage gap is seen very persistently across the income distribution, within occupations, across occupations, and we see it when men and women are working side by side doing identical work.” …

Except, as soon as Stevenson was actually questioned about the statistic by McClatchy reporter Lindsay Wise, the White House adviser crumbled, admitting her earlier comments were inaccurate.

“If I said 77 cents was equal pay for equal work, then I completely misspoke,” Stevenson said. “So let me just apologize and say that I certainly wouldn’t have meant to say that.”

Oh, I’m sorry, I guess when Stevenson said “we see it when men and women are working side by side doing identical work” — that was an accident?

“Seventy-seven cents captures the annual earnings of full-time, full-year women divided by the annual earnings of full-time, full-year men,” Stevenson clarified. “There are a lot of things that go into that 77-cents figure, there are a lot of things that contribute and no one’s trying to say that it’s all about discrimination, but I don’t think there’s a better figure.”

No one’s trying to blame discrimination? Isn’t that what the entire Paycheck Fairness Act and Equal Pay Day are based on?

Yes, in fact it is — as part of the “war on women” political attack that Democrats thought worked so well for them in 2012. Politico reported yesterday that the Republican Party plans to put women out front in blunting that line of attack:

The party launched a program earlier this year to place more women in Republican campaigns.

And the three big national party committees have teamed up to respond to Democratic attacks. They even showcased women who work for the party at the top of their latest talking points. …

The strategy faces its first big test Tuesday, when a coalition of Republican committees will release its response to a Democratic push to make “fair pay” a campaign issue designed to appeal to women.

“Republicans have a good alternative to the Democrats’ deceptive war-on-women ploy, and we’re mobilizing to ensure Republican elected officials and candidates are armed,” said Republican National Committee national press secretary Kirsten Kukowski. “Democrats were successful in their war-on-women messaging last election because we didn’t fight back. We need to turn the table, tell voters the Democrats are being deceptive and bring our viewpoints to the table, which is exactly what we’re doing.”

It’s easier to point out the hypocrisy and demagoguery when the White House makes it this obvious.

Comments

Why should they be any different on this issue?
EVERYTHING they do is “do as I say, not as I do”.

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Meh.

All Obama needs to do is have a little stompy-foot tirade and refuse to let them follow him around on his next golf outing like lovesick little puppies, maybe give David Brooks 10 minutes of pants crease ogling time, and they’ll all fall back into line like they always do.

Gator Country on April 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM

The way the Republican Party behaved when it came to Sarah Palin’s possible candidacy in ’12 may not reek of misogyny, but it certainly tells me there are some things they care about more than blunting the “war on women” meme.

gryphon202 on April 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM

To be fair, I never expected CNN to challenge this White House on anything either.

rbj on April 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM

And then there are the photo op women in the background…yuck…

PatriotRider on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

There sure are two Americas, the sane and the insane.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

This seems to be a pretty safe issue for the MSM to hammer O about. Now they can resume normal operations and crow about “impartiality.”

tdarrington on April 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Goebbels loves, loves, loves Carney.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

tdarrington on April 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

They’re so cute when they pretend to be all objective n’ stuff, aren’t they?

Gator Country on April 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Make obama’care’ optional and see what happens.

————————

Womens who fall for this obama-crap on the ‘war’ are dummies and scumhags. Get fluked, then we’ll pour lemon juice on you, whining misfits.

Next, the mucking foron who went hungry, the Kentucky player, will be the “college players go hungry in America” posterchild of “if I had a son” for obama.

Think or starve, fools. In America only such idiots go hungry. What do they want, a catheter from their stomach to the welfare/cafeteria? They already all have food-cards. It’s not our fault that they wait until the cafeteria is closed.

Nation of whining Idiots, in the majority. Work hard, the other half of America!

Hah, I enjoy the Jamoooo on Faux, same as I love Jeantel and the obama-phonelady.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Carney actually said the President has hired women in junior positions to promote them later.

Sven on April 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Never forget that under obama more don’t work, have fewer opportunities, than ever before, especially the blacks, females, middle/lower classes.

This oaf has destroyed you, but cheer, sheeple, cheer!!!

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM

If anyone hires Carney after this Baghdad Bob stint, they are derelict.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Why wouldn’t the WH expect the media to cover? This is the same crap they played in 2012 and the media zipped their collective lips. This is too little too late, Barry has already been elected for the last time.

h a p f a t on April 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Easy answer; use taxpayer money to give everyone raises. We all win…. Oh, wait.

KMC1 on April 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM

The funny thing is that the “equality gulag” is making women appear helpless, not fit, unable, “quit working”, inferior, etc. Don’t forget the Hillarys, who make it behind their men.

True feminists, you hypocritical hags, where are you?

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

That so many women voted for this empty, narcissistic, unaccomplished, nobody, twice, proves their inferior minds.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

So the GOP are going to fight back THIS TIME? Where the he// were they in 2012? This stuff has to be hit hard! No more wimpiness GOP if you aren’t willing to fight then give it to Cruz and Lee and get out of the way!

neyney on April 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Ummm Schad i’m a woman and loads of my female friends didn’t vote for Obozo. Its not women’s minds that are inferior, its skanky and racist women’s minds that are.

neyney on April 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Shallow chicks for obama

So, for Obama’s 2012 reelection, theAudience devised a “social architecture” for Obama, creating original, shareable content like infographics that could be disseminated amongst the president’s supporters. Throughout the campaign, theAudience was involved with about 60 Facebook pages, including the main Barack Obama page, Women for America and campaign sites for several competitive states.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Sven on April 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

BINDERS full of them!

Ben Hur on April 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM

neyney on April 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM

If you didn’t vote for him, you’re not mentioned.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM

You’d think that Romney’s oppo research would have found this out back then, er…

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

OT:

Just thought I would have some fun with a personal note. After today, MJBrutus is giving up the H/A (and any other blogs) habit. I make it a rule to not discuss my real life on blogs. I’ll just drop the mildly cryptic clue that I am rhapsodically happy!

P.S. Those of you who accused me of using a sock puppet were right. Now it can be told. I will also no longer be posting any comments under the name of bishop.

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

What struck me as odd during this video is how Jay Carney had an answer for this question already prepared. It’s almost as if the White House got the question in advance. Wasn’t there a reporter who was chastised for making this claim? It seems that she was right

Brock Robamney on April 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I’ve given up on both parties. They are all about messaging and nothing to do with running and keeping the greatest country ever created. We deserve everything these clowns can dish out. Let It Burn!!

Deano1952 on April 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

…as if we would have missed you.

tdarrington on April 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM

BUT Women only make $.77 on the dollar compared to men*
*for any workers 35+hrs/week, not adjusted for either hours or jobs done.

We MUST fix this, and I see only 3 possible solutions.

1) Pay every job exactly the same regardless of what job it is, or how many hours are worked each week.

2) Force women into different jobs at longer hours than they desire against their will if necessary.

3) Stop men from doing jobs that pay more than women.

#1 and #3 won’t get my septic tank cleaned EVER so I guess I have to support #2 if you want a solution.

I think it runs against existing law, something President Lincoln passed; so we’ll have to change that bit before we enslave women and ship them out to the oil derricks… FOR EQUALITY!

Weird that we need slavery for equality…

WAIT! Is this another incident of that dream I keep having where I wake up in an Orwell Novel? If so, how come anthropomorphic broccoli with chainsaws aren’t chasing me through it this time?

gekkobear on April 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I’ll just drop the mildly cryptic clue that I am rhapsodically happy!

I’m glad you are finally getting them removed. It is very brave of you.

tdarrington on April 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM

OT:

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Have the doctor check your meds.

davidk on April 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I worked in state government for approx 20 years – almost ALWAYS as a subordinate to a woman, who by her position made substantially more than I, which, of course, she/he should. In today’s reality, women have much more opportunities of employment than men,in my humble opinion, especially in government ‘services’. ‘Manly’ jobs have been off-shored elsewhere. The conundrum is that following the emergence of the real need for women’s ‘labor’ during WII and the return of men from overseas needing employment, social ‘adjustments’ had to occur. Women discovered that they were capable of ‘stepping up’ and returning vets appreciated, I believe, that they had done so and in the process, created a transitional period for a return of soldiers to a new, civilian economy. Women never forgot their ‘potential’. And, the economy recognized their qualities, exclusive of the abilities of men. We, each, complement the other; God recognized that.Maybe it took war in the modern era for Man to move in that direction. Women, today, are just beginning to re-discover their God-given role in civilizing Mankind, exclusive of the move of some femi-nazis to marginalize males any more than they already have. Today, with the ‘educational system’ attempting to feminize males, it does present a challange. I hope succeeding gens recognize and are up to, the challange.

vnvet on April 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM

The answer is simple:
More male nannies and babysitters.

In all seriousness, lets look at some of the highest paid people in entertainment and sports.

Top 2013 musician earners according to Forbes (crazy to see Madonna and Bon Jovi in the top 3, given that this isn’t the 80s/90s anymore):
1. Madonna ($125 million)
2. Lady Gaga ($80 million)
3. Bon Jovi ($79 million)

Also according to Forbes, the highest paid WNBA star gets $107,000/year whereas Kobe Bryant gets over $30 million. I bet the gals of the WNBA would be more than happy to get 77 cents on that dollar.

airupthere on April 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Congrats!

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog

If women make less than men for doing the same job, why would a capitalist ever hire a man?

davidk on April 8, 2014 at 5:58 PM

gekkobear on April 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM

(Pleasant dreams.)

davidk on April 8, 2014 at 6:04 PM

No, Women Don’t Make Less Money Than Men
It’s the bogus statistic that won’t die—and president deployed it during the State of the Union—but women do not make 77 cents to every dollar a man earns.
President Obama repeated the spurious gender wage gap statistic in his State of the Union address. “Today,” he said, “women make up about half our workforce. But they still make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns. That is wrong, and in 2014, it’s an embarrassment.”

Let’s quit with the Bullshite.

Let’s start with MJBrutus…….

CW on April 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Here’s Where Americans Think Ukraine Is

VorDaj on April 8, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I wonder if Barry can find it yet.

slickwillie2001 on April 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM

…who cares what they say?…the rest of the time they wear knee pads!

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM

The CAIR woman who opposes the brutal movie on campuses, the one depicting how Muslims treat women in ‘honor cases’, is related to the White House.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM