Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on April 8, 2014 by Allahpundit

Sen. Marco Rubio in an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper says what Rubio’s team has been spreading: He won’t base his presidential decision on Jeb Bush.

“In my mind when people decide to run for an office of that magnitude they do so under their own criteria, not what someone else is going to do,” Rubio said. “And I’d imagine Jeb would tell you the same thing. His decision, and the decision of many other people who are being speculated about, is not going to be about whether someone else is going to run or not.”

Noting he has “tremendous admiration for Jeb Bush,” Rubio told CNN: “I don’t think if I decide to run it would be a reflection on him, or if he were to run it would be a reflection on me.”

***

Does Jeb Bush sound like a man who wants to run for president? In an extended interview with Fox News’ Shannon Bream, the former Florida governor gave the impression of someone who would like to be president but has been out of the game for a while and isn’t particularly eager to jump in the trenches and fight for it. The only problem is, whoever wins the 2016 Republican nomination — and there will be a field full of candidates in top form — will have to jump in the trenches and fight for it…

In the Fox interview, Bush said a campaign should be about “winning the election, not making a point.” Winning, he said, “should be what we’re about.” But the bottom line is that, at least right now, Bush just doesn’t seem like a politician in top fighting shape. It’s not even clear he wants the fight at all. That’s the real question for Jeb Bush.

***

JASON RILEY, WALL STREET JOURNAL: I think right now Jeb Bush is sort of Chris Christie without the bridge scandal. He’s a moderate Republican, can raise a ton of money who’s got some issues with the base of the party. And I don’t think those issues are really the biggest barrier, at least not what I heard from that interview. What I heard from that interview was him say he doesn’t want to get into the mud, and I think that, more than any of the issues — immigration or Common Core — could be a bigger problem with regard to the base. I think they’re looking for someone who wants to get into the mud. Remember, they were upset with McCain for not going after Jeremiah Wright. They were upset with Romney over the Bain attacks and him not pushing back much harder. I think conservative Republicans are looking for someone who’s willing to fight, who wants a fight. And if Jeb Bush is saying, I don’t want to get in the mud, I want to keep it clean, I want to stay up here, I think they might see a whiff of elitism there, and that could be a big problem.

***

When Bream asked Bush about immigration, he mentioned the Senate bill and border security. Then, before he waxed rhapsodic about the motivations of illegal immigrants, Bush said this: “The way I look at this – and it’ll be on tape and so be it – the way I look at this is someone who comes to our country because they couldn’t come legally, they come to our country because their families – the dad who loved their children – was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table.”

It’ll be on tape and so be it?

That’s something you say if you’re picturing yourself as a future candidate and you’re worried about the ads that’ll be run against you.

***

Though his ties to the Christian right are extensive, Jeb Bush — who converted to his wife’s Catholicism almost two decades ago — has tended not to wear his personal faith on his sleeve, and certainly not to extent that his elder brother did throughout his political life. Still, according to confidants of the former Florida governor, several religious conservative leaders have nudged Bush privately to seriously consider getting into the race.

Some observers see history repeating itself in the way Bush is being branded in the media, albeit with a twist. While mulling his own presidential bid in 1998 and 1999, George W. Bush also faced questions about whether he was positioning himself as the “establishment” Republican candidate, in part due to the family name and his moderate record on some key issues as governor of Texas.

That perception was quickly quashed, however, once Bush entered the race and presented himself as an unabashedly religious social conservative, naming Jesus as his favorite philosopher and citing Antonin Scalia as a model for the kind of Supreme Court justices he would appoint.

“Those who misapprehended that W. would run as a moderate candidate found out the hard way he was not about to concede social conservatives to other candidates,” one prominent evangelical leader, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said in an email. “If Jeb decides to run (and he is a long way off from making that decision), my sense is that he will be able to make as strong or even a stronger case to the socially conservative grassroots of the GOP.”

***

Let it be noted that Jeb Bush deserves kudos for making sense on the immigration issue. When he describes coming to the United States illegally in order to find opportunity as “an act of love, it’s an act of commitment to your family,” he displays more compassion and decency than any of the fence-building border warriors possess in their shriveled, nativist souls. He also shows a way to a future that may have room for a Republican Party in a world that looks unlikely to cater to the preferences of grumpy know-nothings who don’t like cilantro. But that’s not going to be an enduring or healthy future if it requires turning a political party into a family project.

Political parties that rely on genetically intermingled talent pools aren’t signs of a healthy political system. That’s not to say people should lose the right to pursue political careers just because they’re related to somebody else who held office. But in a nation of over 300 million people, surely one of the two organizations clinging with lamprey-like tenacity to coercive power can rotate through a few surnames from time to time, if only in its applications for tenancy in the White House.

Yes, families often develop traditions of “public service” as one generation passes on a taste to the next for living off of others without producing anything of value for which people might willingly pay: Adams, Roosevelt, Taft—and now Bush and Clinton. But there’s a difference between a family tradition and an actual, no-bullshit dynasty, and the GOP is drifting close to crossing that line.

***

Even without a replay of the Bachmann-Cain-Gingrich-Perry-Paul GOP primary freak show of 2012, the party is heading into its confrontation with Hillary Clinton at a serious general election disadvantage. Some of the weakness has demographic roots that no single candidate can change in a single race. But the rest is a product of the party’s rightward lurch over the past six years — and a restive base that demands absolute ideological purity on the part of candidates.

The result, as in 2012, is likely to be a primary contest devoted to winning the Real Conservative trophy. Ted Cruz and Rand Paul already spend most of their days trying to out-Tea Party the other. Marco Rubio would be doing the same thing if he wasn’t preoccupied with figuring out how to distance himself from his role in drafting a failed immigration reform bill that was wildly unpopular with the angry white grassroots of the party. And so it goes down the line, with Scott Walker, Rick Santorum, John Kasich, and other wannabes bringing up the rear — all of them desperate to earn the support of the party’s populist foot soldiers.

By the time it’s all over, the 80+ percent of America that isn’t furiously right wing will likely have been persuaded that, however disappointing the Obama years have turned out to be, there are worse things than spending another four years with a centrist Democrat in the White House.

Unless, that is, a candidate with broader appeal comes on the scene. For a time, it looked like Chris Christie might be such a candidate. But the Bridgegate scandal continues to fester, and it has managed to reinforce the impression that the man from the swamps of Jersey is a bully and a thug.

And that leaves Jeb.

***

***

Via the Daily Rushbo.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

*smooooch!*

Don’t tell Doc… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Not to Fret, my pet!

On that note,

Good night all.

ToddPA on April 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Pre-vacy AP, Christie and gheyz. Post-vacay AP, Jeb and gheyz.

whatcat on April 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM

On the Topic of Jeb…someone had to post this.

The Who – Won’t Get Fooled Again

I’ll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
And I’ll get on my knees and pray
We don’t get fooled again
Don’t get fooled again

kcewa on April 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Yes, OC. Remarkable transformation, isn’t it!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM

She is a crusty old hag here…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:21 PM

When I was growing up-I always heard that Kelly and my maternal grandfather attended the same high school. Pop was a few years younger.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM

ToddPA on April 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Niters and sleep well, Todd! Good luck with Win8…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Quotes of the day

This thread should really be renamed to “Slug of the Day”, which is what it has appeared to be for the past many months. You should photoshop the cover pic of the “Slug of the Day” with some salt being poured on him. Today’s slug, Jebbie, needs a whole truck full of salt poured all over him. Big, huge boulders of salt would be good.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM

My Mom and Jack Nicholson attended the same high school in Manasquan, NJ. Mom was a few years ahead of Jack, though.

Small world, isn’t it?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Peabody

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Obama’s illegal immigrant Auntie Zeituni Onyango lived off the system for several years.

“It was all love” — Jeb Bush

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Marlene Dietrich was a pretty good actress, too…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Pop was born and raised in Pittsy. He was born in 1914. I’m pretty sure that he attended Peabody.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Meredunce/Hagfish, eh?

I suppose Buy_Day_Old_danish will be Secretary of State.

I guess Bradky/Bruti will be Supreme Court Jesters.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM

What difference, at this point, does it make? I believe we’ve passed the tipping point where competence really matters for politicians.

non-nonpartisan on April 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM

What Holder is hiding.

Watching a German Science Fiction movie, BBIAB…

oscarwilde on April 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM

The proper abbreviation is Pgh.

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM

For all y’all gents-here’s a video of some really fine hooters.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM

That was funny! Sent that off to my great-nephews.

Thanks ALT!

31giddyup on April 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I was a classmate of Lara Flynn Boyle’s when I attended the Chicago Academy for the Arts. We were in the same grade-but we were NOT friends. We couldn’t stand each other..because she was a prima dona.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM

In honor of Kenzi, one of my all-time favorite television characters :

Cuckoo

Funky Town

Let It Rock

Little Bit

See ya in Valhalla, Kenz.

MichaelGabriel on April 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Who Why don’t the god-dmaned obamas take care of their own family, first?

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM

You sound like you want to punish them with familial responsibilities. That’s mean.

non-nonpartisan on April 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Thank you, in the name of the hard-working taxpayers and NOT Jeb Bush.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Sorry. I’ve only been through there one in the last 40 years.
I was born in Iowa and raised in Sh*t-cago south ‘burbs.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Would you like a pastry with a Pickle on the side?

SparkPlug on April 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM

For OC

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Jimi sings about Jeb

And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually
A little Indian brave who before he was ten,
Played war games in the woods with his Indian friends
And he built up a dream that when he grew up
He would be a fearless warrior Indian Chief
Many moons past and more the dream grew strong until
Tomorrow he would sing his first war song and fight his first battle
But something went wrong, surprise attack killed him in his sleep that night

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually

kcewa on April 8, 2014 at 11:35 PM

My dad graduated from high school w/ now former Iowa congressman Jim Leach. Though both were republicans even in high school-my dad thought Leach to be a dullard.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Sorry. I’ve only been through there one in the last 40 years.
I was born in Iowa and raised in Sh*t-cago south ‘burbs.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I was just showing off. How could you know what the abbreviation was. I never used it unless I was writing to someone in town. Nobody else would know what it meant. Youngstown’s abbreviation is Yo. I don’t know of any other town that has one.

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Would you like a pastry with a Pickle on the side?

SparkPlug on April 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Quiet! I’m brushingmypubes!

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Yeah, right. There is no “centrist” within a moonshot of the Democratic nomination in 2016.

Sacramento on April 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM

I’m going to have to take my allergies to bed.

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Buggy.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Wow, what a twist and end to the movie…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM

And now all of a sudden he is a Q in the QotD?

I think we deserve to be introduced to this new fellow, kick his tires a bit and check under the hood. What say you, Hot Air?

RushBaby on April 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Azzhole, go for a Hillary/Jeb ticket, and throw yourself into the cliff, along with America.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:41 PM

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Dietrich was good in just about any role you gave her!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:41 PM

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Niters and sleep well, COL! I’m willing to share Ben Adryl with you! HOpe you feel better in the morning!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:42 PM

RushBaby on April 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM

All aboard

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Sun King – The Beatles

kcewa on April 8, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Wow, what a twist and end to the movie…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM

You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet, OC…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Okay, Jebster, breaking our laws as an “act of love” to help feed your kids is now forgivable and we just need to do something to fix the system for these lovers and feeders. Cool, dude, hope you’ll be there with me tomorrow when I rob the bank or hold up an armored truck or kidnap a rich guy for the ransom to show my love to my family and help feed them.

Fu*king idiot.

TXUS on April 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I can’t imagine what I’m so allergic to suddenly. Things like Benadryl don’t seem to have any effect on me. But thanks anyway.

crankyoldlady on April 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM

And I know how much you hate pretense and ‘tudes in a body, ALT.

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet, OC…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Wow. That was awesome…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Going out for a smoke…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Going out for a smoke…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Staying right here for one.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

…who?

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Thank you, in the name of the hard-working taxpayers and NOT Jeb Bush.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Virginia GOP executive director praised amnesty, slammed fellow Republicans for being scared of ‘The Other’ in office meeting

Newly minted Virginia Republican chairman Shaun Kenney said that immigration reform is the right thing to do, and criticized people opposed to amnesty as being uncomfortable with “the Other.”

non-nonpartisan on April 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Oh, COOL!! TCM’s playing Charlie Chaplin’s “Modern Times” next!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Hmmmm…his wife’s Catholicism …Hmmmm…
That would be the same Catholicism that shelters mexican illegals and drug transporters in their tax exempt churches, right ?
The same churches where illegal alien drug dealers, rapists, pedophiles, murderers , felons and gangbangers find refuge , fake and stolen SS#s , fake IDs, fake DLs fraudulent tax “refunds ” from IRS, tattoo removal services,
help with food-stamps and disability and welfare , free housing and housing benefits, free clothing, free cars….those churches ?
This moron is p*zzy whipped.

burrata on April 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Jackson, Shaprton, Shabazz, Wright…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM

As I argued in my original column, a Clinton-Bush general election contest in 2016 would be a disconcerting sign that the American political system is becoming a nepotistic oligarchy in which a handful of wealthy, prominent families vie for political power against each other, with the rest of us serving as mostly passive spectators.

That’s hardly something to get excited about.

On the other hand, a Clinton-Bush match-up would spare us, for a few years at least, from the prospect of a real-life Frank Underwood ending up in the White House.

Ah, the little victories!

Damon Linker is a squish.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Poor Jeb. He’s the RINO of the month.

faraway on April 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Absolutely. Lara and I are roughly 5 months apart age-wise…but ‘thanks’ to schtupping alter cockers(f8cking old men) like Jack Nicholson and going under the knife a lot, she looks about 10 or more years older than me.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM

non-nonpartisan on April 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM

All traitors need to burn, in the 10th layer, as the 9th is too cold for them.

Plus, I’m not afraid of anyone.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM

NO to JEB! No to Chris! Never, ever!

mobydutch on April 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

An act of cowardice? On the contrary, I’d say that like almost everything else he’s said and done since Cruz came to Washington, it shows the kind of brutal, merciless intelligence that would make Frank Underwood proud.

Mike Lee might earn the respect of Beltway wonks and pundits for his efforts at policy reform. Rand Paul might enjoy an afternoon of warm press coverage for standing up to a gun-toting vulgarian. But it’s Cruz who once again gets to burnish his reputation as a conduit for channeling the rage of Obama-hating Tea Partiers directly into the halls of the Senate. He is their vessel, their megaphone, and their most passionate champion, with no enemies to his right.

It’s a bold, brazen, high-risk approach to politics — one that defies traditional electoral strategies. But in a time of technologically fueled ideological rage, it just might pay off.

God help us all if it does.

Damon Linker is a rat.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Plus, I’m not afraid of anyone.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM

You lie, boy!

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Staying right here for one.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

It is fifty out right now, Ratso loved it…

OmahaConservative on April 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

OK.

Not hearing a lotta love for JEB.

Or Christie.

Huckabee ’16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM

…who?

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Crony clergy.

VorDaj on April 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Why is “Damon Linker” suddenly a go-to opinionificator? Ed claims him as a “colleague”

And now all of a sudden he is a Q in the QotD?

RushBaby on April 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM

He’s the same atheist punk that recently wrote that Christians MUST be pacifists. Far left wing, with the arrogance of a recent Ivy League grad.

If Ed considers him a “colleague,” Ed needs someone to check under the hood.

Adjoran on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Damon Linker is a rat.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

He seems like more of a douchebag to me.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM

OK, first I had to look up Frank Underwood, then re-check the definition of “Machiavellian”…

For some reason, Damon Linker doesn’t like Ted Cruz…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Fu*king idiot.

TXUS on April 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Out of pure love

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM

[packages a bag of Portland cement to post to Lancie...]

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

All traitors need to burn, in the 10th layer, as the 9th is too cold for them.

Plus, I’m not afraid of anyone.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Who presently in the GOP is bold and outspoken about standing up to people like Shaun Kenney? There’s no one who’s prominent, and that includes Cruz. We need someone new.

non-nonpartisan on April 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Plus, I’m not afraid of anyone.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Yea, though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil, for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley.

VorDaj on April 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Good evening…

oscarwilde on April 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Jackson, Shaprton, Shabazz, Wright…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM

…LOL!…yes…they THINK they are conservative!

KOOLAID2 on April 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

One of these words doesn’t belong in this sentence

faraway on April 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Her plastic surgeon has not been nice, that’s for sure! She hasn’t looked good since “Men II Black”…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I’m not afraid

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM

The first GOP candidate that uses this slogan gets my vote.

faraway on April 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM

He seems like more of a douchebag to me.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

He’s a D-rat douchebag, but that’s a repeat.

non-nonpartisan on April 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

L.i.b. I really don’t care. They are all the same.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM

faraway on April 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM

True…(Jeb) “Bush” and “conservative” do appear to be mutually exclusive…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Plus, I’m not afraid of anyone.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Yea, though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil, for my 50 caliber machine gun is with me and my tanks and artillery they comfort me.

VorDaj on April 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM

The first GOP candidate that uses this slogan gets my vote.

faraway on April 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM

The first one who insults the base, Never gets my vote, ever again. Romney was the last one who fooled me. Well, he didn’t, but I was dragged, kicking and screaming, because I never believed the sheeple of the land were so many and so gone.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I have to go to bed soon, but not just yet. I skipped dinner for beer…

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM

VorDaj on April 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM

They said that we are afraid of “the others”, meaning that we are “racists”. I meant that the “others” don’t scare me.

As far as the land goes, she’s over, gone, done in by the Rs more than the Ds. The former enabled the latter. I blame them more.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I thought Dear Mrs OC was due back yesterday…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I have to go to bed soon, but not just yet. I skipped dinner for beer…

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Reasonable choice when bacheloring it. <— Insert devious grin here…

oscarwilde on April 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM

If Ed considers him a “colleague,” Ed needs someone to check under the hood.

Adjoran on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

If you could go back in time and switch Charles Martel with Ed, we would all be muslim now or dead.

VorDaj on April 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM

For some reason, Damon Linker doesn’t like Ted Cruz…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

He’s an elitist leftie.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Damon Linker is a senior correspondent at TheWeek.com. He is also a consulting editor at the University of Pennsylvania Press, a contributing editor at The New Republic, and the author of The Theocons and The Religious Test.

The New Republic is a leftist rag.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I thought Dear Mrs OC was due back yesterday…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM

ROTFLMAO… Obviously not…

oscarwilde on April 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Adjoran on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

He’s that jack azz?
Really?
Hello RINO Air. ///

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Why CAIR is suppressing the movie on campuses and how this hag is related to the WH.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM

If Ed considers him a “colleague,” Ed needs someone to check under the hood.

Adjoran on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Colleague ≠ Friend

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:13 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Had to go and check google images. I used to think she was quite beautiful. Looks like she had Michael Jackson’s physician.

arnold ziffel on April 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I thought Dear Mrs OC was due back yesterday…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Back on Sunday. The women went out for some kind of charity crap, so I have been alone again tonight. Ratso has been tearing up the joint again. If they drank too much wine they all stay put until the morning…

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM

──────▄▌▐▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▌
───▄▄██▌█░░░SAY░░░░░░░░░░NO░░░░░░░░▐
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█░░░░░░TO ░░░░░░░JEB BUSH░░░░░▐
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▌
▀❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:16 AM

If they drank too much wine they all stay put until the morning…

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I have never, ever caught a decent enough buzz from wine to keep me from driving. Wine really sucks, IMO…

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Hmmm…now there’s an idea…

Wine + Ratso…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM

──────▄▌▐▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▌
───▄▄██▌█░░░SAY░░░░░░░░░░NO░░░░░░░░▐
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█░░░░░░TO ░░░░░░░JEB BUSH░░░░░▐
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▌
▀❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀

──────▄▌▐▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▌
───▄▄██▌█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░C O O L░░░░░▐
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▌
▀❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I think “Damon Linker” sounds completely suspicious…hmm.

And Ed really did claim “him” as a colleague, linking to his “excellent column”.

After a bit of clicking, I learned a bit about Ed’s new colleague. Clicking at random, I found this other “excellent column“, entitled “The GOP’s new voting laws are nothing less than a war on democracy” in which the closing words are:

the GOP has used state-level redistricting to cram ever-greater numbers of Democrats into smaller numbers of districts, effectively decreasing their political power relative to their raw numbers.

Charming, isn’t it?

But also pitiable. Having built an ideology around the conviction that it speaks axiomatically for the real American majority, the Republican Party has become incapable of coping with evidence to the contrary — and willing to do just about anything, including subverting democracy, to maintain that fiction.

Republicans should be ashamed of themselves — and the rest of us should be disgusted.

Way to go, Ed.

RushBaby on April 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on April 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Gotta be careful of those oversize loads, Schade :P

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Dire Straits on April 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Dire! Dude… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 12:22 AM

The mention of her name makes taxpayers very angry.

Fluke you royally, the ones who don’t take care of your families, and the impertinent scumhag.

Rest in pieces, impertinent moocher.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM

RushBaby on April 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Thank you for pointing him out, RB. He is an elitist leftie.

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Just wait until Hussein finds out about this in tomorrow’s newspapers,
he’ll be mega pizzd.

burrata on April 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM

arnold ziffel on April 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I couldn’t dance or act-I sing-so she and her stage mom considered me to be nothing.
My mother refused to be a stage mom. She refused to give up her ‘life’ just so I could go to auditions.
I was pissed at the time-but now I realize how right she was.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2014 at 12:26 AM