Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on April 8, 2014 by Allahpundit

Sen. Marco Rubio in an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper says what Rubio’s team has been spreading: He won’t base his presidential decision on Jeb Bush.

“In my mind when people decide to run for an office of that magnitude they do so under their own criteria, not what someone else is going to do,” Rubio said. “And I’d imagine Jeb would tell you the same thing. His decision, and the decision of many other people who are being speculated about, is not going to be about whether someone else is going to run or not.”

Noting he has “tremendous admiration for Jeb Bush,” Rubio told CNN: “I don’t think if I decide to run it would be a reflection on him, or if he were to run it would be a reflection on me.”

***

Does Jeb Bush sound like a man who wants to run for president? In an extended interview with Fox News’ Shannon Bream, the former Florida governor gave the impression of someone who would like to be president but has been out of the game for a while and isn’t particularly eager to jump in the trenches and fight for it. The only problem is, whoever wins the 2016 Republican nomination — and there will be a field full of candidates in top form — will have to jump in the trenches and fight for it…

In the Fox interview, Bush said a campaign should be about “winning the election, not making a point.” Winning, he said, “should be what we’re about.” But the bottom line is that, at least right now, Bush just doesn’t seem like a politician in top fighting shape. It’s not even clear he wants the fight at all. That’s the real question for Jeb Bush.

***

JASON RILEY, WALL STREET JOURNAL: I think right now Jeb Bush is sort of Chris Christie without the bridge scandal. He’s a moderate Republican, can raise a ton of money who’s got some issues with the base of the party. And I don’t think those issues are really the biggest barrier, at least not what I heard from that interview. What I heard from that interview was him say he doesn’t want to get into the mud, and I think that, more than any of the issues — immigration or Common Core — could be a bigger problem with regard to the base. I think they’re looking for someone who wants to get into the mud. Remember, they were upset with McCain for not going after Jeremiah Wright. They were upset with Romney over the Bain attacks and him not pushing back much harder. I think conservative Republicans are looking for someone who’s willing to fight, who wants a fight. And if Jeb Bush is saying, I don’t want to get in the mud, I want to keep it clean, I want to stay up here, I think they might see a whiff of elitism there, and that could be a big problem.

***

When Bream asked Bush about immigration, he mentioned the Senate bill and border security. Then, before he waxed rhapsodic about the motivations of illegal immigrants, Bush said this: “The way I look at this – and it’ll be on tape and so be it – the way I look at this is someone who comes to our country because they couldn’t come legally, they come to our country because their families – the dad who loved their children – was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table.”

It’ll be on tape and so be it?

That’s something you say if you’re picturing yourself as a future candidate and you’re worried about the ads that’ll be run against you.

***

Though his ties to the Christian right are extensive, Jeb Bush — who converted to his wife’s Catholicism almost two decades ago — has tended not to wear his personal faith on his sleeve, and certainly not to extent that his elder brother did throughout his political life. Still, according to confidants of the former Florida governor, several religious conservative leaders have nudged Bush privately to seriously consider getting into the race.

Some observers see history repeating itself in the way Bush is being branded in the media, albeit with a twist. While mulling his own presidential bid in 1998 and 1999, George W. Bush also faced questions about whether he was positioning himself as the “establishment” Republican candidate, in part due to the family name and his moderate record on some key issues as governor of Texas.

That perception was quickly quashed, however, once Bush entered the race and presented himself as an unabashedly religious social conservative, naming Jesus as his favorite philosopher and citing Antonin Scalia as a model for the kind of Supreme Court justices he would appoint.

“Those who misapprehended that W. would run as a moderate candidate found out the hard way he was not about to concede social conservatives to other candidates,” one prominent evangelical leader, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said in an email. “If Jeb decides to run (and he is a long way off from making that decision), my sense is that he will be able to make as strong or even a stronger case to the socially conservative grassroots of the GOP.”

***

Let it be noted that Jeb Bush deserves kudos for making sense on the immigration issue. When he describes coming to the United States illegally in order to find opportunity as “an act of love, it’s an act of commitment to your family,” he displays more compassion and decency than any of the fence-building border warriors possess in their shriveled, nativist souls. He also shows a way to a future that may have room for a Republican Party in a world that looks unlikely to cater to the preferences of grumpy know-nothings who don’t like cilantro. But that’s not going to be an enduring or healthy future if it requires turning a political party into a family project.

Political parties that rely on genetically intermingled talent pools aren’t signs of a healthy political system. That’s not to say people should lose the right to pursue political careers just because they’re related to somebody else who held office. But in a nation of over 300 million people, surely one of the two organizations clinging with lamprey-like tenacity to coercive power can rotate through a few surnames from time to time, if only in its applications for tenancy in the White House.

Yes, families often develop traditions of “public service” as one generation passes on a taste to the next for living off of others without producing anything of value for which people might willingly pay: Adams, Roosevelt, Taft—and now Bush and Clinton. But there’s a difference between a family tradition and an actual, no-bullshit dynasty, and the GOP is drifting close to crossing that line.

***

Even without a replay of the Bachmann-Cain-Gingrich-Perry-Paul GOP primary freak show of 2012, the party is heading into its confrontation with Hillary Clinton at a serious general election disadvantage. Some of the weakness has demographic roots that no single candidate can change in a single race. But the rest is a product of the party’s rightward lurch over the past six years — and a restive base that demands absolute ideological purity on the part of candidates.

The result, as in 2012, is likely to be a primary contest devoted to winning the Real Conservative trophy. Ted Cruz and Rand Paul already spend most of their days trying to out-Tea Party the other. Marco Rubio would be doing the same thing if he wasn’t preoccupied with figuring out how to distance himself from his role in drafting a failed immigration reform bill that was wildly unpopular with the angry white grassroots of the party. And so it goes down the line, with Scott Walker, Rick Santorum, John Kasich, and other wannabes bringing up the rear — all of them desperate to earn the support of the party’s populist foot soldiers.

By the time it’s all over, the 80+ percent of America that isn’t furiously right wing will likely have been persuaded that, however disappointing the Obama years have turned out to be, there are worse things than spending another four years with a centrist Democrat in the White House.

Unless, that is, a candidate with broader appeal comes on the scene. For a time, it looked like Chris Christie might be such a candidate. But the Bridgegate scandal continues to fester, and it has managed to reinforce the impression that the man from the swamps of Jersey is a bully and a thug.

And that leaves Jeb.

***

***

Via the Daily Rushbo.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

──────▄▌▐▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▌
───▄▄██▌█ JEBMOBILE ▐
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█ Welcome to America
4I’m poosywhipped :O ▐
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▌
▀❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀

burrata on April 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Jebs the in-thing, for now. Wonder whos next.

tommy71 on April 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Johann Brahms – Lullaby
And on that note, I bid Friends and Lurkers niters and sleep well!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Or I can but a six-pack and three bags of kettle chips, which are regular chips on steroids.

SparkPlug on April 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Priorities my friend, priorities…

oscarwilde on April 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Agreed..:)

Dire Straits on April 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

This Job guy is really growing on me. Does he have a PAC I can contribute to?

Murphy9 on April 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

“This is bullsh!t, I want Bush! Pan down!”

Lanceman on April 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

This Job guy is really growing on me. Does he have a PAC I can contribute to?

Murphy9 on April 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Send your money to LaRaza.
Yeb will get it .

burrata on April 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Nice riposte, Non-Nonp!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Thank you.

I went out to eat years ago with a friend of mine who was a waiter, with some of his fellow employees. One of them was a very cute waitress (she looked like a red-haired version of Emilia Clarke.) While she was eating her sundae, she asked me if I wanted “her cherry,” which was on top of it. Then she handed me a card, and said it entitled her to a quickie (no, I am not making this story up.)

Rabbit – Lady La Di Da

non-nonpartisan on April 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM

“out of love” must be the code words for “invade now”

31giddyup on April 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Read my lips. No new laxatives. ;-)

tommy71 on April 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

gonna be Jeb and Rubio ….
and Hillary will win ….
the GOPe likes loosing elections … so much harder
to actually govern then it is to complain….

conservative tarheel on April 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Good Night all. Going to bed early…

OmahaConservative on April 9, 2014 at 1:25 AM

BTW, isn’t Yeb now a Mexican citizen ?

burrata on April 9, 2014 at 1:27 AM

gonna be Jeb and Rubio ….
and Hillary will win ….
the GOPe likes loosing elections … so much harder
to actually govern then it is to complain….

conservative tarheel on April 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Hard to argue with that sentiment when the GOP elitist Aristocracy are trying so damned hard to prove it true.

oscarwilde on April 9, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Electric Angels – Wish I Could Fly

non-nonpartisan on April 9, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Good one Newtie. I better not get too big for my britches.

SparkPlug on April 9, 2014 at 1:38 AM

No esta Michoaca norte?

Lo siento los reprobates!

Murphy9 on April 9, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I don’t know to what we might have to do for the DUI illegal uncle !

burrata on April 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Stay out of his way.

arnold ziffel on April 9, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Read my lips. No new laxatives. ;-)

tommy71 on April 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Thread Winner

SparkPlug on April 9, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Roxette – Fading Like a Flower

non-nonpartisan on April 9, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Love Spit Love – Am I Wrong

non-nonpartisan on April 9, 2014 at 1:54 AM

The Loveless – Return of the Ex-Girlfriend

non-nonpartisan on April 9, 2014 at 2:13 AM

burrata on April 9, 2014 at 1:49 AM

You know I look at something like that and think what’s the point? For Breitbart to show it can be just as vile as the Left? Who’s working at Breitbart anyway? Twelve-year olds laughing behind their hands because they’re so great trying to shock people? Who are they trying to persuade (or are they trying to persuade) and what are they trying to win people over to?

Yeah, I think Pelosi has perpetrated all kinds of evil on the nation. Yeah, I think we should not compromise with the Dems. But Breitbart is doing exactly what the GOPe does—imitating the Dems.

I also thought I have absolutely nothing in common with these people. No matter what low opinion I have of Pelosi’s character and actions, there’s no way I stand with a group who writes up that kind of ‘welcome.’ They’re not being edgy, they’re merely being the Left.

What political philosophy and principles does Breitbart stand for? What are they fighting for? Those photoshops aren’t fighting tough, they’re fighting filthy. What distinguishes them from the Left? What kind of coalition are they intent on building? What kind of America do they want to make? Or do they simply want to throw muck.

INC on April 9, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Here’s my tune for the night.

This time.

When you go there. Read the thuja comments.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM

54 Million aborted potential tax payers, and of course the abortion pushers won’t even acknowledge they are at fault in this regard.

Meople on February 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Fault? We are absolutely delighted by this. We live on a finite planet on which many species are going extinct due to human population pressures. Abort on!

thuja on February 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Discrimination against gays is akin to discrimination against blacks. And yes we do work towards the day when stating opposition to gay marriage is something not done in polite society, just as stating racial bigotry is today (at least among whites and Asians).

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

In a thread about Black American Pastors protesting Planned Parenthood in Washington thuja said this …

Attitudes about abortion are a function of worldview and I don’t want to argue that. I simply want to point out that we on the right dislike people concocting charges of racism rather than having a serious political discussion. And here HotAir turns around and takes the issue of abortion in the circus of racism accusations? This is as intellectually bankrupt as an Obama speech.

thuja on April 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM

(Seems to have no problem leveling the charge of racism at pro-traditional marriage supporters.)

Yet Black American Pastors who protest what abortion actually does to their community are out of line to thuja. Get it? Gay Americans can scream so-called gay bigotry = “racism” when trying to make their gay rights argument. But Black pastors aren’t allowed to make a charge of racism even in light of the fact that abortion very much targets and kills a disproportionate number of Black babies. Tell us again how you care about Black Discrimination, thuja.

Not only gutless but a weapons grade hypocrite.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:32 AM

Actually, I call myself pro-abortion. Given how human beings have always conducted themselves sexually when there exist any level of freedom, we need abortion so that we don’t have a huge number of children being raised by single mothers. If the family is the backbone of America, we should be encouraging more teenage girls to abort instead of letting pro-life teachings lead them into welfare dependency.

thuja on March 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:41 AM

hawkdriver on April 9

so we can put you down as a maybe on the topic of thuja..?

evening HD…smack em silly!!
the video was something wonderful…ty

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 3:43 AM

I see more than half the children being born to single mothers and I think we need to act to discourage single motherhood. This will inevitably mean that some abortion will be encourage, but the alternative is societal decay, real decay–not married gay male couples redecorating apartments in affluent suburbs–but boys being raised in situations which lead to criminal behaviour and drug abuse.

thuja on March 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

See the moral struggle here about what’s most important? Discrimination doesn’t equal gay bigotry. If you read the volumes of comments thuja makes, this “affluent” gay male hates the poor who infect his society.

Again, what are the demographics of who are aborted in America? Who is thuja talking about when he worries about them making it to term and end up becoming criminals.

Maybe he’s worried they’ll vandalize his freshly decorated apartment in his affluent neighborhood?

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:49 AM

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 3:43 AM

Hey going G2M. I was talking with thuja and he ducked answering a question and then just ducked out. I got tired of his BS so then the wife and I watched a movie. When I came back he had puffed his little chest out to sneak in a comment.

He’s a disturbed man.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:54 AM

hawkdriver on April 9

please don’t let me interrupt the flow…hammer away..
I was just working/lurking almost ready to ship off
some bits/files to the left coast..
did you at leas enjoy the movie??.. popcorn??.. scotch neat perhaps??

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 3:59 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:54 AM

He’s a pissant.

You hunt rabbits with H-bombs.

That should be the foundation of our foreign policy.

novaculus on April 9, 2014 at 4:00 AM

did you at least enjoy…

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Maine and the Milky Way..

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 4:14 AM

The Magician

novaculus on April 9, 2014 at 4:21 AM

Shiny Rock on Mars..

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 4:24 AM

the high res NASA Curiosity shiny rock pic

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 4:34 AM

You hunt rabbits with H-bombs.

That should be the foundation of our foreign policy.

novaculus on April 9, 2014 at 4:00 AM

I like to think of them as Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 4:38 AM

half way down this NASA page is the “eyes on” downloads…3 of em.
do not download unless you have tons of time to waste..
a must for space fans…

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Shiny Rock on Mars..

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 4:24 AM

Cool. Anything crystalline will reflect light. Crystals on the surface of Mars?

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 4:56 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 4:38 AM

There are a number of places that would benefit from the cleansing action of a grenade roll. The world would be a better place if the bad guys were still afraid of that grenade roll.

novaculus on April 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 4:56 AM

did you watch that video?.. they blew up the high res shot..
real close..it looked like a vertical light to me..
if its a shiny rock…its a monolith ..
what was the name of that movie?…with hal in it..? 2000something

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 5:08 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 4:38 AM

novaculus on April 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM

It’s odd. The point on the other thread was the asinine assertion that being pro-marriage is akin to being anti-black because it’s just “another form of bigotry”. So knowing his comments, Sanger support and general wish for no babies being born to poor people because it costs him money, thuja’s words are no chore to feed right back to him. But in the light of whether what he says is evil or not, I dunno. I do know in perusing his old comments, his in your face distain for the unborn disturbs me on a personal level.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 5:14 AM

what was the name of that movie?…with hal in it..? 2000something

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 5:08 AM

Mars Attacks.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 5:14 AM

I think it was 2001 a space odyssey.. maybe..
I don’t know much about movies unless its B&W..

you can spend a lifetime exploring on that
“eyes on NASA” download…whoa…very addicting…

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 5:29 AM

you can spend a lifetime exploring on that
“eyes on NASA” download…whoa…very addicting…

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 5:29 AM

I’ve been up with the telescope trying to get a view of Mars and the alignment. As luck would have my star-gazing, mostly overcast.

I got a short period glimpse while it was still in the East.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 5:39 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 5:39 AM

if you haven’t already.. check out the JPL/NASA link
you can see the tutorials for the downloads…
very impressive stuff…
things I always thought a computer was invented for….

we were cloudy here most of the night too… and cold..
not good for viewing….
I need an enclosed crows nest here…

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM

It is very clear in central Indiana right now. Beautiful line up of planets. Mars near Spica, Saturn near Antares and other stars in Scorpio, and Venus in the east.

esr1951 on April 9, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.

If you’re a young faculty member, in a lot of places, if you’re a young member of a news department, and you have the wrong views, meaning conservative, you have no career…This is just the most open, blatant example of the new fascism, which says if you don’t agree with us 100%, we have the right to punish you, unless you’re like Hillary [Clinton] and Barack Obama, and you recant.

– Newt Gingrich

My take: The New Fascism

kingsjester on April 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM

esr1951 on April 9, 2014 at 6:21 AM

But is the moon in the seventh house, Jupiter aligned with Mars?

Groovy man!

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 7:06 AM

kingsjester on April 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM

The campaign for diversity of thought will continue until everybody agrees.

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 7:07 AM

very impressive stuff…
things I always thought a computer was invented for….

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM

You mean a computer wasn’t invented for watching porn and/or kitty videos?

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Shiny Rock on Mars..

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 4:24 AM

Pretty cool! Does Curiosity Rover have any of the American flag the astronauts planted on Mars? ;0

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 7:11 AM

More like no spine than elitism, I’d think.

Cleombrotus on April 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM

or no principles he thinks worth fighting for. either way, YAWN.

Cleombrotus on April 9, 2014 at 7:22 AM

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM

i will.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 7:31 AM

“In a stunning clash of two branches of the U.S. federal government, a Texas congressman told Attorney General Eric Holder on Tuesday that he should be ‘in jail’ instead of answering questions in a Capitol Hill hearing.

Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold refused to ask Holder – the hearing’s sole witness – any questions, instead slamming him for defying congressional document subpoenas and ignoring a criminal contempt citation the House of Representatives lodged against him nearly two years ago.

‘I’m committed to maintaining the constitutional balance of power and the authority that this legislative branch has,’ Farenthold said, ‘and I just don’t think it’s appropriate that Mr. Holder be here.’

‘If an American citizen had not complied with one of the Justice Department’s subpoenas, they would be in jail and not sitting here in front of me testifying.’

His point made, Farenthold gave the balance of his allotted five minutes to South Carolina GOp Rep. Trey Gowdy.

The House voted in 2012 to hold Holder in civil and criminal contempt following the Justice Department’s longstanding refusal to turn over documents related to Operation Fast and Furious.

That program was a scandal-plagued gun-running exercise that put illicit weapons in the hands of hundreds of Mexican nationals tied to drug cartels, beginning in 2009. The government has said it intended to track the guns, but it couldnt recover more than 1,300 of them.
Brian Terry, a U.S. Border Patrol agent, was killed in December 2010 with one of those weapons. Other Fast and Furious guns have been tied to the deaths of about 200 Mexican citizens.

Earlier in Tuesday’s House Judiciary Committee hearing, Holder snapped at another Texas congressman, Louie Gohmert, who upbraided him over his failure to produce everything Congress had subpoenaed.

‘Sir, I’ve read you what your department promised, and it is inadequate,’ Gohmert lectured. ‘And I realize that contempt is not a big deal to our attorney general, but it is important that we have proper oversight.’

‘You don’t want to go there, buddy,’ Holder warned the congressman. ‘You don’t want to go there, okay?’

Gohmert, a former Texas district court judge, fired back.

‘Sir, we’ve been trying to get to the bottom of Fast and Furious where people died, where at least a couple hundred Mexicans died,’ he said.

‘And we can’t get the information to get to the bottom of that, so I don’t need lectures from you about contempt, because it is very difficult to deal with asking questions.”

‘And I don’t need lectures from you either,’ Holder sniped…”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600384/Texas-Congressman-tells-Attorney-General-Eric-Holder-belongs-jail-conflict-heats-Republican-lawmakers-Obama-administration.html#ixzz2yO7xAHhi

workingclass artist on April 9, 2014 at 7:36 AM

More like no spine than elitism, I’d think.

Cleombrotus on April 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Maybe a bit of both.

noddle spine combined with…Just crown me already…it’s my turn…

workingclass artist on April 9, 2014 at 7:39 AM

workingclass artist on April 9, 2014 at 7:36 AM

I don’t think you understand that this is all theater. Eric Holder doesn’t want the video out of the hearings to be his non-responses about Fast & Furious, IRS snooping, and all the rest. So….. he becomes a bully and arrogant prick. And that is all that came out of the hearings and all the pundits talked about last night.

And of course, another example of this tactic is familiar to the HA audience…….. What difference, at this point, does it make.

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Not bad weather today. 70 tomorrow. What will the bad news be today.

crankyoldlady on April 9, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I cannot think of anything that would bring about a strong Third Party and bring down the GOP more than another Bush getting the nomination.

WannabeAnglican on April 9, 2014 at 7:52 AM

very impressive stuff…
things I always thought a computer was invented for….

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM

My father would have been right there with you. It’s too bad he didn’t live to see this time but he didn’t even live to see the moon landing. He died at 60.

crankyoldlady on April 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM

What will the bad news be today.

crankyoldlady on April 9, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Bacon riots and the Windows XPocalypse.

Seriously, it isn’t bad news so much as disgusting. The rat-eared wonder and his filthy wife are headed to Fort Hood to “comfort” the families of the victims of this latest shooting. Unspoken in this is the DNC fundraiser that follows where Obama, Reid, and Pelosi are all appearing at a $40K/plate party for Texans with more money than common sense. I guess I should be grateful that he isn’t giving shout outs- this time.

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM

WannabeAnglican on April 9, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Oh! I think if the fat man were to get the nomination, that would do it quicker than Jeb Bush.

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Politicians have a shelf-life and Jeb is way past his fresh date.

monalisa on April 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM

If he gets in and wins, it sounds as if he’ll let the press and the far left slap him around just like they did his brother. I don’t want another president who can’t or won’t defend himself from the socialist progressives. Propaganda is like a covering of thick paint. Once it’s allowed to dry, the color of the country has been changed.

Kissmygrits on April 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Hey, HN……I did answer your post yesterday with a way too long answer in another thread.

Just some thoughts this morning.

Last major White House scandals I remember were White Water, Iran -Contra Affair, Valarie Plame Affair, and finally the IRS Tea Party Scandal. What is the same and what is different between the four? Three of them happened while a Republican was in office and the acting Attorney General performed his job even though it ending up damaging the current administration at the time.

In summary of those three sandals, we had a President resign, a President tarnished and eleven prosecuted (they were later pardoned by GHWB), and one individual name Libby tangently went to jail (his sentence was commuted by GWB).

In the forth scandal we have a White House not cooperating and an Attorney General refusing to perform the duties of his office due solely due to politics.

In fairness to the above, the Reagan Administration refused to declassify certain documents, which could have resulted in more convictions or greater charges being brought.

I know…I know….I could have added F&F, Benghazi, and others…….but that would be way too much typing; I covered them yesterday in a long post; and I hope my point is clear on Holder.

HonestLib on April 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM

First.

Bishop on April 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM

First.

Bishop on April 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Did you bring anything back with you this time?

Bmore on April 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM

P.S. Bishop, there is a fellow here, goes by the nom, FrankLib. He is stealing from you. Yes, I realize that is the highest form of flattery. Its just that he’s not very good at it. Just thought you might want to have a talk with him. Oh, he’s a homophobe as well.

Bmore on April 9, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Schadenfreude.

Bmore on April 9, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Bmore

HonestLib on April 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Morning HL. If you see Schadenfreude, would you do me a fav, direct him here for me. ; ) Thank you.

Bmore on April 9, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Hey, Bishop!!!

“Puerile QotD behavior” — hallmonitors

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Hey, Bishop!!!

…was not related to the following statement. That was for Bmore and others :)

Schadenfreude on April 9, 2014 at 12:16 PM

crankyoldlady on April 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM

my father didn’t live to see the Nixon/Kennedy debates..
be wonderful to see what “the greatest generation”
or those before them..
would have come up with if they had all this technology..
what would Ford or Edison or Einstein have taught us..
how would WWII have changed with satellite Nazi troop mapping?
(Leonardo Da Vinci would have blown us away more than he already does)
what will we see or where will we go in the next hundred…thousand..
I shall add your father to my daily prayers…
thank you COL for sharing that..

going2mars on April 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM