Oops: OkCupid CEO once donated to a congressman who opposed gay marriage; Update: CEO regrets donation

posted at 11:21 am on April 8, 2014 by Allahpundit

And not just gay marriage. The congressman, Chris Cannon, also opposed adoptions by gay couples and laws prohibiting discrimination in hiring gays. Sam Yagan’s donation, in other words, was more of a multi-spectrum anti-gay contribution than Brendan Eich’s $1,000 gift to support Prop 8 and yet he took it upon himself to be the tip of the spear in the “Eich must go” movement. Says Rick Moran of Yagan’s past, “The gay mafia is never around when you need them.”

The Daily Caller actually had this five days ago but it’s breaking big today because of Mother Jones. Never underestimate the viral power of blue-on-blue PC purging.

OkCupid’s co-founder and CEO Sam Yagan once donated to an anti-gay candidate. (Yagan is also CEO of Match.com.) Specifically, Yagan donated $500 to Rep. Chris Cannon (R-Utah) in 2004, reports Uncrunched. During his time as congressman from 1997 to 2009, Cannon voted for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, against a ban on sexual-orientation based job discrimination, and for prohibition of gay adoptions.

He’s also voted for numerous anti-choice measures, earning a 0 percent rating from NARAL Pro Choice America. Among other measures, Cannon voted for laws prohibiting government from denying funds to medical facilities that withhold abortion information, stopping minors from crossing state lines to obtain an abortion, and banning family planning funding in US aid abroad. Cannon also earned a 7 percent rating from the ACLU for his poor civil rights voting record: He voted to amend FISA to allow warrant-less electronic surveillance, to allow NSA intelligence gathering without civil oversight, and to reauthorize the PATRIOT act.

I thought the OkCupid stunt over Eich was just a publicity scam but maybe there was more to it. Maybe Yagan fretted that he was compromised because of his Cannon donation and decided to inoculate himself by sacrificing Eich, to prove his (belated) commitment to The Cause. Maybe it wasn’t even the anti-gay component of Cannon’s record that worried him. The reason there’s an uproar over Eich in the first place is because it proves that the line of impermissible private activity by employees has shifted (in Silicon Valley, at least) in a way that most of the public hadn’t realized. If it can shift once unexpectedly, it can shift unexpectedly on other issues too. When does Yagan get fired for backing a candidate who voted against abortion?

He’s going to say one of two things in his defense (or both) once OkCupid comments on this. One: His donation to Cannon wasn’t about gay issues, it was about something unrelated — tech policy or whatever. You can contribute to a candidate without endorsing every position he holds; you can’t say the same of Eich’s contribution, which was aimed specifically at gay marriage. Okay, but in that case, what issue was so important to Yagan that it justified handing over money to a candidate who voted against gay rights at every turn? Let’s hear how he prioritizes and see if his friends on the left agree.

Two: He’ll claim that he’s changed his mind on gay rights, just like Obama but (apparently) unlike Brendan Eich. (Yagan also donated to Obama in 2008, back when O was dutifully posing as a traditional-marriage supporter.) Eich never renounced his donation to Prop 8; Yagan will, presumably, happily renounce his Cannon donation now to avoid the dreaded charge of hypocrisy. I’ve never understood, though, why any former opponent of gay marriage would, after changing his mind, bring down the hammer on someone who hasn’t changed his mind yet. I used to oppose gay marriage too; practically all straights (and some gays) have at some point. And yet lots of converts on this issue seem able to transition awfully quickly from opposition to ambivalence to burning other holdouts at the stake. If Yagan’s going to distinguish himself from Eich, let’s at least have a timeline from him of how long he thinks an SSM opponent should have to “evolve” in order to spare himself from a witch hunt.

Update: The heretic recants and returns to a state of grace:

“A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry. I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today. However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right.”

So gay rights were less important to him than profit? That’s a one-percenter for you.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

I was asked multiple times by someone or another to define every word in that post including the word “the”. Sorry to disappoint.

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Yes, congratulations on making a claim that something is reasonable while not establishing any reasons, thus turning the literal definition on its head.

The Schaef on April 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

How did I insult you?

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I am all for respectful conversations. If you can sustain one, I don’t mind the back and forth, but if you can’t, as you so far have shown, as evident on page three of this forum, don’t bother.

Thanks.

Cpt. Kirk on April 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Margaret Sanger changed her views on many issues through her life. She ended up a Republican and supported Eisenhower for President.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Gator Country on April 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM

And when they use the force of government rather than the voluntary associations of the business world that we need to make that distinction. If dissent becomes criminalized we will indeed experience fascism. Mozilla’s cowardice and stupidity ain’t that.

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Attack actual marriage?

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM

yes, versus so called gay marriage or more like unnatural marriage.

there is real marriage, one man and one woman. And then those who want to redefine it and call what is not a marriage, a marriage.

You can call a leaf a rock all you want, but it doesn’t make the leaf a rock.

Cpt. Kirk on April 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Cpt. Kirk on April 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

How did I insult you?

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Cpt. Kirk on April 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Horrifying.

It is getting harder and harder to stop myself being glad some people will end up in hell.

I used to oppose gay marriage support the First Amendment too;

Because you can’t be for both, AP. and you are to bright not to realize that.

pannw on April 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Are you blind? Where do you live?

the force of government is already being used to force photographers whose religious beliefs are 100% against gay marriage, to force them to take pictures of so called gay weddings.

The force of government is already in full use to force people to bow down to the homosexual agenda. Parents have been arrested for going to PTA meetings and asking their children be removed from sex education classes that claimed homosexual sex is normal. (You see, atheists, secularist, homosexuals can teach morality in our public schools. But if a Christian dares to do it, the sh..t hits the fan).

These are two of examples of countless where the militant homosexuals are forcing those who disagree with them to “accept” their behavior, help them engage in their behavior or they will throw the force of the government against you.

Cpt. Kirk on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

You might as well give up on the Sanger apologetics, thuja.
Really? In what way? Did she give up her eugenic views of thinning out the black race?

lineholder on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Wait, you claimed earlier no one except the pro-lifers cared about Margaret Sanger. So, hmmm…why are you so desperate to defend Margaret Sanger and why do you continue to bring her up? Hmmm…

PlannedParenthood, by the way, loves to quote Margaret Sanger and holds her in high regards as a pioneer for the radical Left wing feminist movement.

Anyway, it is obvious pro-abortionists like you get terrified when her name is brought up and a light is shined on her disgusting beliefs, behavior, eugenics, etc.

Cpt. Kirk on April 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Haven’t you either alluded to or directly stated here on Hot Air, you also think control of human birth defects and population control of minorities through abortion is necessary for the benefit of the planet?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I think that your position is reasonable and probably very popular. While I would prefer a marriage be a marriage I would certainly not object to an alternate name for some kinds of unions.

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Agree, then wouldn’t that have been an easier path to equality then pissing off half the country?

jmtham156 on April 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Civil unions in CA were identical to marriage in every way – except for the word “marriage”. It wasn’t good enough because “marriage” conveys a higher social status.

monalisa on April 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM

“However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right.”

And Eich doesn’t believe it shouldn’t equate to union of man and woman. Dissenting beliefs…

Waffle,waffle, waffle. How does Yagan know Cannon didn’t spend his 500 bucks on something anti-gay? How does he know the group Eich donated to didn’t spend his thousand on something not related to their position? Yagan is a crass hypocrite of the highest order, who owes Eich one hell of an apology. Liberal gays are not coming out of this looking too good. It would help their cause if they’d at least measure up in virtues that both heteros and gays have in common, but so far there’s no up side to the LGs.

Skip2014 on April 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Ergggh – double negatives…

“And Eich believes it shouldn’t equate to union of man and woman. Dissenting beliefs…”

Skip2014 on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I will say this: Militancy and hatred will do more to harm a cause than anything. I warn gays, as I warned opponents years ago, that stridency and intolerance will snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory faster than anything.

As a libertarian, I don’t care what people do as long as it doesn’t hurt me or someone else, who doesn’t want to be hurt or is incapable of consent. Thus, I support SSM although it has never been an issue that would motivate me to go to the polls. So, yes, I support ‘marriage equality.’ Hell, I don’t care how many people want to get ‘married’ as long as any government benefits are limited to two people as they are with traditional, legal (not common law) marriage.

But, and this is a big but. Even though I am an atheist, I will never tolerate the suppression of religious beliefs, practise, or free speech. Not for gays. Not for triads. Not for climate hysterics. No one. Period.

Furthermore, I reiterate my point about not caring what you do as long as you don’t hurt me or another innocent person because this is where the Mozilla, photographers, and bakeries issue arise and ‘marriage equality’ activists stand a real chance of losing my support…completely.

I don’t want ANYONE getting in my face nor any one or thing becoming a fascistic Gestapo. In this sense, Andrew Sullivan and I are very much in agreement. Of course, he would never completely abandon the gay rights movement, but I could definitely be turned off completely. I am disgusted by the suppression of speech and expression, along with the lack of tolerance and diversity exhibited by the Diversity and Tolerance Brigade. They may not care about what SSM-opponents think, but they had better deeply consider what people like me think. I, along with most Americans, hate, hate, hate bullies and totalitarians. I loathe those that demand conformity and cast out of society the ‘heretics’ that dare think differently than the orthodoxy.

Now, some homosexuals may call be a ‘soft-bigot’ or something because I won’t stand with them and fight for their rights regardless of what they do, so be it. Like the Westboro Baptist Church, who I despise vehemently, I will fight for their right to speak, but I will not become a foot soldier in either’s intolerance army.

Everyone should always mind diligently the risk that they might become exactly what they hated. It would be completely undemocratic, un-’fair,’ and contemptible if we, as a society, can only allow one group to come out of the closet by forcing another into it, especially one covered, specifically, by the Constitution.

Anyhoo, that’s my position and I’m sticking to it. As I was told by someone years ago, I am like that old Jethro Tull song: ‘I’m a tiger when I want love and a snake when we disagree.’ I can be your biggest supporter or your worst enemy. I can agree to disagree, politely, with anyone, but should someone ‘get in my [or another innocent's] face,’ then all bets are off.

Finally, the fastest way to get me to do the direct opposite, as my parents learned very quickly, is to order me to do something. Tell me to shut up and you can make bank on the fact that I will scream.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Tough to admit your a racist huh thuja? Make no mistake. There a bigoted comments made here on Hot Air. But your support of abortion to reduce minority populations even in part, is stone cold racism.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Haven’t you stated that you enjoy having sadistic sex with goats here on Hotair?

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

“I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property”

The fleabag doesn’t even realize that he is admitting to basic political corruption – he’s even treating it as a defense! He didn’t contribute to the pol because he supported any of his views, it was strictly because of the power the guy had – he was buying influence, plain and simple, and not doing anything that would be offensive to Democrats. Unbelievable.

John Gillis on April 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM

monalisa on April 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM

“IT wasn’t good enough” Now isn’t that really the crux of the gay movement(the real activists that is)
The problem is instinct-it was my reaction the first time I heard what gay sex is and why I get sick when two men kiss. You can’t legislate that away. The courts can’t overrule it. I’m not saying its bad or good but thats the way it is.(for me)

jmtham156 on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Tell me to shut up and you can make bank on the fact that I will scream.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

SHUT UP!!1!1!111!1

Just wanted to see if it worked ;)

Nutstuyu on April 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM

SHUT UP!!1!1!111!1

Just wanted to see if it worked ;)

Nutstuyu on April 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM

RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

lolz

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM

RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

lolz

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Dang it now I ruined a perfectly good pair of Underoos.

Nutstuyu on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

But you have made comments you believe abortion for controlling minority populations and indigenous populations overseas was something you very much supported. I’ll tell you what though. You get the comment about me being attracted to goats and I’ll post the comments I’m talking about.

Deal, Shlemiel?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Boy oh boy do you drive the reprobates nuts.

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 5:43 PM

The method of Alinsky is that the CEO of Ok Cupid must be held to the same standard that he used. Therefore, we must all protest to OK Cupid that they need to fire their CEO. They will not get the message that this standard is wrong unless they are held to the same consequences.

Does anyone know where to complain?

redeye on April 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM

They put goats in the stalls with race horses. I guess it quiets them down. Sometimes the horse kicks the goats instead of the side of the stall, which is good for the horse-not so good for the goat.

jmtham156 on April 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 5:43 PM

This one prides himself on his civility also. He must think I’m an FSA Soldier to imagine his question is not a major insult.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Deal, Shlemiel?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM

You make up stuff in your head that has no basis in anything I said.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM

You make up stuff in your head that has no basis in anything I said.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

You denying those comments exist?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:53 PM

You make up stuff in your head that has no basis in anything I said.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

So is that a no to the challenge?

Nutstuyu on April 8, 2014 at 5:53 PM

This is going to be good.

davidk on April 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Did you bail on the conversation, thuja?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I would be amused to know the average reading comprehension score on the SAT for pro-life extremists around here. I am guessing more than four standard deviations below the average.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

As if that has any bearing on the morality of killing infants.

astonerii on April 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Further, in the context of my conversation here today, I’ve taken mighty offense that you equate my support of the definition of traditional marriage to be somehow in opposition to Black Americans striving for equality in the 60s during the civil rights movement. I find it ironic considering your praise and agreement with Margaret Sanger. Your belief that abortion helps control undesirable social stress here in the US and as a matter of ecology overseas with indigenous people, is demonstrable.

I’d take offense to you asserting me being enamored with our foul-smelling Middle Eastern milk and cheese producer but I know you’re having somewhat of an anxiety attack over the conversation so I forgive you that.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I’m still not quite getting it. Are you saying those comments don’t exist?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

thuja, if you didn’t make such comments … you know I’ll be the first to apologize. If you say they don’t exist, who am I to doubt you? But that is your contention, right?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Scalded dog effect?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Scalded dog effect?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Is looking to see if overtime is approved to continue disusing this issue with you. I am sure he is not putting a big effort in on it though.

astonerii on April 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM

astonerii on April 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Well then, let the record show that thuja was unable to definitively disprove another hawkdriver assertion. Further, with little or no effort he has once more been proven to be anti-minority, anti-indigenous people and uses them only for poorly constructed straw men for his gay advocacy.

I’m not normally a suspender thumbing kind of guy, but I guess we win. Point proven.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Reading the drivel you write in here, you should seriously consider refraining from arguments about ‘intelligence’…

zoyclem on April 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

zoyclem on April 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM

It is amazing we rubes so easily best the urban genius, no?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM

It is a beautiful day outside in my neighborhood.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM

It is a beautiful day outside in my neighborhood.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I hear ignorance is bliss.

astonerii on April 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM

It is a beautiful day outside in my neighborhood.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM

You’re kind of a coward because you won’t either defy me to produce the comment or just concede the point. You know I’m right. You think more of your gay rights and the environment than you care about the garbage civil rights strawmen you tried to shove down our throats. There’s millions of progressive and pro-gay lurkers out there screaming at their screens for you to dare me to produce a comment. You, know it’s there though. So …

You, can’t do shit about it.

Now make another mind-numbingly stupid comment about the weather.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM

The notion that there is no limits to the finite surface area of the planet Earth’s ability to be the ground for an every increasing population is an insane assertion. Not only that the law of diminishing returns applies to every resourse sic including human innovation.

thuja on February 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Thanks blink. Coming from you, I take that as quite a compliment considering the way you thump his butt too.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM

The reading challenged gang continues something or another.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM

The reading challenged gang continues something or another.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Stop coming back man. You’ve been proven wrong and you’re just embarrassing yourself now.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Embarrassingly … proven wrong.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM

The word “proven” has an actual meaning, but some people treat language like Humpty-Dumpty.

“I don’t know what you mean by ‘glory,’ ” Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. “Of course you don’t—till I tell you. I meant ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!’ ”
“But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument’,” Alice objected.
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Are you comparing yourself to Humpty Dumpty, thuja?

lineholder on April 8, 2014 at 7:44 PM

This guy is a worm.

LashRambo on April 8, 2014 at 7:44 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

I did prove it.

thuja on February 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Some people treat babies like dogs.

davidk on April 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

pffft

Gutless coward. You come here and make a claim like people who are against gay marriage would be against the civil rights movement. And you can’t backup a thing you say. Any time you try to offer anything deeper than your idiotic opinion, you fail. You’re pathetic.

You’re dismissed.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Don’t press.

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 8:21 PM

thuja on February 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Couldn’t you at least come up with something mildly embarrassing?

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM

And I never made any claim that people who are against gay marriage would be against the civil rights movement. Is it really too hard to attempt to understand what people are saying?

The big question I get out of this is should people who appear to lack any reading comprehension skills be listened to on any political topic?

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM

The above quote shows just how out of touch with basic logic is the idea that what happened to Eich is fascism. Discrimination against gays is akin to discrimination against blacks. And yes we do work towards the day when stating opposition to gay marriage is something not done in polite society, just as stating racial bigotry is today (at least among whites and Asians). Abortion is a complex issue and not subject to the same social enforcement.

Let me point out the future of this issue. It is child abuse for religious figures to teach hatred of gays to children, and institutions that do will loose their tax-exempt status just as Bob Jones University lost their case in 1983:

Bob Jones University v. United States

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Opposition to same sex marriage is not discrimination against gays. Which means your whole argument is a waste of air.

But thanks for admitting what some still don’t want to see. The left WILL target churches, and they will start by attacking their tax exemption for insufficient support of homosexuality, and by banning every church ministry they classify as ‘in the public sphere’ that does not treat homosexuality as A-OK.

Even such classic church ministries as education will be required to teach the PC view of homosexuality or be driven out of business, because some bureaucrat will declare that education is ‘in the public sphere.’

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM

sentinelrules on April 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Because only gays are predators and pedaphiles.

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Total exaggeration. Just because it’s about 20 times as common among homosexuals doesn’t mean that only homosexuals are pedophiles.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Komsomoletz on April 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM

In this day and age, I would say that defining marriage as being between 2 consenting adults who are not blood relatives would be good.

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Why 2? And why does it matter if they are blood relatives? After all, if they’re both men, then they can’t reproduce anyway? So why couldn’t two brothers get married?

All you people who try to pretend that limiting marriage to a man and a woman is arbitrary, and therefore must be motivated only by bigotry are completely incapable of creating a less arbitrary definition of marriage.

And yet you climb on a moral high horse and treat everyone else as ignorant.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

And it has not escaped me that a Supreme Court Justice named Kennedy was just as much a fool.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM

The Spanish Inquisition only works against heretics. If you’re willing to lie, and kiss the ring, you’re absolved of all sin.

Keith_Indy on April 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Couldn’t you at least come up with something mildly embarrassing?

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Sure. But you were too gutless to ask to see it.

Thread Topic:

Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?

No, seriously — does it?  I know, I know: The question itself sounds like a stupid conservative caricature of liberal excess. But a friend sent along the text of the following provision, which is buried on page 930 of the president’s FY 2015 budget proposal.  She thought it looked “fishy.”  I must agree:

… not less than $575,000,000 should be made available for family planning/reproductive health, including in areas where population growth threatens biodiversity or endangered species

I most strongly hope it does. At least, Obama would be doing one thing right.
thuja on March 7, 2014 at 10:59 PM

It even made him agree with obama.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

And to be sure, this all started with you making the gay discrimination is the same as black discrimination.

Bob Jones University v. United States

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

You can’t run away from your own words humpty dumpty boy. All I’ve ever said is it’s bullshit because you don’ care about blacks anyway. They’re a burden to society to you like all poor on welfare.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 1:57 AM

The vast majority of abortions are in low income areas, specifically black and Hispanic or in white trash trailer parks – the very hardcore demographic that supports the socialist policies destroying the republic.

If no woman ever had an abortion in America, not only would the crime rates be much, much higher, but there would be that many more democrat voters and food stamp recipients.

Thank Vishnu for the availability of abortion. It’s the one saving grace is an otherwise bleak picture of the future. Remember what Napoleon said, “Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.”

HugoDrax on February 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM

You are right, but it’s not just that. To be pro-life is to be anti-family. Not Hollywood, not the 60′s sexual revolution, and certainly not gay marriage have done 1% of the damage to the family that the pro-lifers have. They actually want pregnant teenage girls to birth their fetuses! And we all know what this means. Single motherhood becoming the norm in our country. And the Left has even exploited the pro-life hard-on for teenage single motherhood. At least twice, the Left has managed to expand the welfare state by getting pro-life Congressmen to vote for the expansion in exchange for welfare payments to teenage girls to have babies. Some great society the pro-lifers are creating.

thuja on February 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 2:00 AM

thuja likes to obfuscate what was said. So, to recap.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Deal, Shlemiel?

hawkdriver on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM

You make up stuff in your head that has no basis in anything I said.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

You are right, but it’s not just that. … At least twice, the Left has managed to expand the welfare state by getting pro-life Congressmen to vote for the expansion in exchange for welfare payments to teenage girls to have babies. Some great society the pro-lifers are creating.

thuja on February 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I most strongly hope it does. At least, Obama would be doing one thing right.
thuja on March 7, 2014 at 10:59 PM

So again, save your gay discrimination is akin to black discrimination straw man. There isn’t anyone who has discriminated against blacks worse than Margaret Sanger and Kermet Gosnell and you defended those two tooth and nail. You don’t care about black discrimination. You care more about welfare roles and the gay rights movement dominating society.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 2:28 AM

PS Gutless coward.

Hows the weather in your neighborhood now?

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 2:30 AM

How serious can you take this imbecile anyway? OmahaConservative was commenting on this information from a Kermit Gosnell article

The women who emerged from it — often poor blacks and Hispanics — appeared dazed and in pain, and sometimes left in ambulances.
Two women died while under his care.
the dangerous practices went unnoticed, except by the women who experienced them.
The clinic…stands as a grim reminder of how degrading it was for the women who went there

This is her comment.

I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since this story broke. Even awake, during work I hear poor little innocent babies shrieking and screaming in pain and agony inside my head.
OmahaConservative on January 24, 2011 at 6:03 PM

And this is thujas response.

I haven’t had a good night sleep since I forgot to water my tomato seedlings a few days in a row. Even awake, during work I hear poor little tomato plants shrieking and screaming in pain and agony inside my head.
thuja on January 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Tell us again about how you worried you are about Black Americans.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

In a thread about Black American Pastors protesting Planned Parenthood in Washington thuja said this …

Attitudes about abortion are a function of worldview and I don’t want to argue that. I simply want to point out that we on the right dislike people concocting charges of racism rather than having a serious political discussion. And here HotAir turns around and takes the issue of abortion in the circus of racism accusations? This is as intellectually bankrupt as an Obama speech.

thuja on April 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM

(Seems to have no problem leveling the charge of racism at pro-traditional marriage supporters.)

Yet Black American Pastors who protest what abortion actually does to their community are out of line to thuja. Get it? Gay Americans can scream so-called gay bigotry = “racism” when trying to make their gay rights argument. But Black pastors aren’t allowed to make a charge of racism even in light of the fact that abortion very much targets and kills a disproportionate number of Black babies. Tell us again how you care about Black Discrimination, thuja.

Not only gutless but a weapons grade hypocrite.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:32 AM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:34 AM

I see more than half the children being born to single mothers and I think we need to act to discourage single motherhood. This will inevitably mean that some abortion will be encourage, but the alternative is societal decay, real decay–not married gay male couples redecorating apartments in affluent suburbs–but boys being raised in situations which lead to criminal behaviour and drug abuse.

thuja on March 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

See the moral struggle here about what’s most important? Discrimination doesn’t equal gay bigotry. If you read the volumes of comments thuja makes, this “affluent” gay male hates the poor who infect his society.

Again, what are the demographics of who are aborted in America? Who is thuja talking about when he worries about them making it to term and end up becoming criminals.

Maybe he’s worried they’ll vandalize his freshly decorated apartment in his affluent neighborhood?

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 3:50 AM

You can call a leaf a rock all you want, but it doesn’t make the leaf a rock.

Cpt. Kirk on April 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Is a pineapple a real apple? Is a prairie dog an actual dog? Qualifiers matter.

“Gay marriage” or “same-sex marriage” can mean its own thing. Besides, legal definitions on the law books are the only definitions that matter, where legalities are concerned. You can’t stop a legislation from establishing the “official” definition.

TMOverbeck on April 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM

It is unfortunate that you can’t accept political disagreement and feel the need to demonize people who disagree with you.

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Add to that all the non sequitirs posted to knock down straw men, and you have a pretty complete picture of the contribution made to this thread.

The Schaef on April 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Really?

Discrimination against gays is akin to discrimination against blacks.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Same thread.

Credibility is not one of thuja’s strong points. Neither is making a cogent or valid argument.

Or the craven effort to build a moral equivalency between racial discrimination / Jim Crow / Civil Rights and the demand for societal recognition and celebration by the very small minority who choose to focus their entire identity on their sexual preference and insist that words be redefined to fit that identity in the name of ‘social justice’.

Athos on April 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Athos on April 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Just you be prepared for your reading comprehension lecture.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Thanks, Hawkdriver, for taking the effort to investigate what I have said here on Hotair. In person, I can be a bomb-thrower like Ann Coulter and say things that it would be embarrassing if I were quoted on. I had wondered if I were that way here. Thanks to you I know I have been pretty reasonable. In return for taking your time, I seriously suggest your practicing the reading comprehension part of the SAT. It could work wonders for you.

I also regret letting this thread getting so out of line, of letting it be about me and not about the issues. I accept it was somewhat my fault. I should just have ignored the pettiness and will do better in the future.

thuja on April 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Really?

Discrimination against gays is akin to discrimination against blacks.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Same thread.

Athos on April 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I notice Hawkdriver already mentioned the reading comprehension issue, but perhaps he is wrong. Maybe the reason you see an issue with my two quotes is that you don’t understand logic. Luckily, there are resources available on the internet:

After watching these videos, you could attempt explaining why there is no contradiction in my two quotes you cited. I have faith in you!

thuja on April 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Yes, I’m sure that’s much more likely than the idea that you just don’t communicate your concepts clearly, or that you obscure them in nonsensical comparisons.

The Schaef on April 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM

The Schaef on April 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM

It may be true that sometimes I don’t communicate clearly, but the two quotes Athos provided are easy to read.

Here’s a further resource for people unable to see that I didn’t contradict myself:

Coursera.org has many amazing courses.

thuja on April 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

thuja on April 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

That doesn’t make anybody amused by your persistent verbal abuse and condescension.

The Schaef on April 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

thuja on April 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Better translation. “Hawkdiver asserted a point about me and my commentary, proved it without a shadow of a doubt and handed my ass directly to me.”

And then you added …

“I am completely owned and have nothing left but pettiness and ad hominems”.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Just you be prepared for your reading comprehension lecture.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Not to mention the insinuation that I can’t comprehend a logical argument….that in reality embraces a number of logical fallacies (moral equivalency, strawmen, ad hominem, moving the goalposts) combined with spin, contradictions, and obfuscation.

Or, as someone mentioned yesterday, forgetting the first rule of hole digging….

I’m quite happy to let others read the thread, the points offered / made, and let them decide….and wonder about the unanswered questions.

Athos on April 9, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Athos on April 9, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Unanswered questions and … and subsequent launch into tangential points about everything under the sun. Save for his points he was unable to defend that we’ve listed in agonizing specificity.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Let me correct this a bit. You didn’t completely own him. You 90% owned him. The only thing he has left is that you didn’t perfectly articulate what he meant – even though you captured the essence of it. He’s going to cling to his 10% by claiming that he’s soooo misunderstood. It’s all he has left.

blink on April 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I ran it through my IMAC Blog Exchange Assessing The Yutz App or (I-BEAT-YA) and it’s actually closer to 98.7 in my favor.

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM

blink on April 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

hawkdriver on April 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

800 Reading score here, thuja. But I only got a 169 on the GRE Verbal, so you can still feel superior to me if you’d like. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on April 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Discrimination against gays is akin to discrimination against blacks.

thuja on April 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

thuja on April 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Perfect score here on the reading section of the SAT. What are clinging to here? The work ‘akin’?

To me you are close enough to what they are saying as to be near indistinguishable to, dare I say akin to it.

ConDem on April 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

work = word

“…indistinguishable from, dare I say akin to, it.”

Note to self: It pays to proofread.

ConDem on April 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM