Holder: Maybe lawful gun owners should have to wear electronic bracelets to use them

posted at 8:41 am on April 8, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

How old am I? I’m old enough to remember when the only people on whom government wanted to put electronic bracelets were criminals. Attorney General Eric Holder testified yesterday on Capitol Hill about gun-safety programs promoted by the Department of Justice, which wants almost $400 million in the next budget for “common sense” regulations like electronic bracelets for firearms:

“I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get passed those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe,” he said.

“By making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.”

“It’s those kinds of things that I think we want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights, but at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis,” Holder said.

First, the electronic bracelet concept has barely passed the theoretical stage, let alone made it into the commercial market. There is literally one pistol model being sold in one gun story in America which fits Holder’s “common sense” requirement. How exactly would that allow Americans to “enjoy their Second Amendment rights”?  Most gun owners — and there are over 60 million of them — handle and store their weapons safely. More people get murdered each year by body parts than by rifles, for instance, which had been the focus of gun-control efforts over the last sixteen months.

Drunk drivers kill nearly as many people each year as all firearms, and that figure may be seriously underestimated. Driving is already a government-regulated activity, so why not focus on installing breathalyzers in autos? Because when people need to drive, they don’t want a failing breathalyzer unit to keep their car from starting, and since most car owners don’t drink and drive in the first place, they don’t want to be treated like a criminal just to exercise their privilege of driving on public roads. Why should law-abiding citizens have to deal with the same kind of system malfunction at the precise moment they need a firearm to defend themselves or their families?

“Common sense” would be to leave law-abiding citizens alone. Of course, “common sense” would also be to not traffic rifles to drug cartels across the border into Mexico without any way to track them or retrieve them, so we know what role “common sense” plays in Eric Holder’s DoJ.

Update: I originally said that drunk drivers kill nearly twice as many people as those with firearms, but I was thinking specifically about handgun murders. I’ve changed the wording on that sentence; thanks to Tom W for the correction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Meow on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Meow.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM

How about Holder being sent to Mexico to stand trial as an accomplice to the mass murder of hundreds of Mexican men, women and children.

VorDaj on April 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM

You do not track the presumed innocent.

You do not pre-collect data on the presumed innocent.

ajacksonian on April 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Oh yeah, it would need to be tracked by the gov’t.

HumpBot Salvation on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

No, it wouldn’t, actually. No database is required (based on owner). It just requires a unique identifier be coded in both pieces when the gun (and bracelet) is manufactured. The manufacturer could keep a database linking serial numbers to unique codes, so that they could replace bracelets as needed (no owner tracking required).

To answer verbaluce, though, it would *allow* tracking, since these are RFID. Oh yeah, and unique.

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Actually, this phrase “common sense” bull crap spewed by liberal/progressive morons is the most annoying, ill conceived drivel that they try to ram down the throats of people. I think the “common sense” thing to do would be for them to shove that phrase up where the sun don’t shine. Then try to speak with some honesty for a change, but I’m sure that is just asking too much.

NOMOBO on April 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM

An honest person !

For that, you’ll only have to pay half-price when the goon squad stops by.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM

If it really comes to that, God forbid, I probably won’t have the luxury of keeping track of my words, or a method of paying you if I do.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Holder can call it “common sense” if he wants. I call it “totalitarian criminality”.

RebeccaH on April 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Those on the national socialist left like to claim certain words to shape opinions – you’ll not that just about every freakin proposal from the gun grabbers is couched as “common sense”.

Which is why we need to take back certain words from the left with phrases such as:
The Commonsense Civil Right of Armed Self-Defense

DinaRehn on April 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Installing Security Update 23 of 476.
Please Do Not Turn-Off Your Gun.
When Complete, Your Gun will Reboot Automatically.

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM

That is two funny!

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I saw that. Now, your just making fun of me. :)

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Expresso’ might be making fun of you, but I think your original post is another good nomination for “thread winner” . . . (this whole thread seems to be a “thread winner” rich environment)

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Also, the bracelets can probably be useful for various drones (IRS, BATF, NSA, HHS, etc.) keep track of you. For your own good, mind.

morganfrost on April 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM

An honest person !

For that, you’ll only have to pay half-price when the goon squad stops by.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I know … happens all the time.

It helps get hire the best “goons” money can buy.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM

NOMOBO on April 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I say we fight fire with firs and shove it right back in their smarmy faces and use the same words with regard to our god-given Constitutional rights.

BTW, those on the national socialist left hate it when you use those words, so all the more reason to use them!

DinaRehn on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Did this story make anyone else think of Metal Gear Solid 4?

DethMetalCookieMonst on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM

At some point in time WE THE PEOPLE have to take this country back from the thieves and criminal that are supposed to work for us but instead decide to rule over us

jaywemm on April 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM

And maybe you should be in jail.

rrpjr on April 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Since Holder has broken or selectively not-enforced more laws in the history of The United States, maybe he should be the one wearing the bracelet. Never mind, he will be after the 2016 election, unless he can make a fast connection out of the US.

Old Country Boy on April 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Everyone is free to extrapolate all sorts of tin hat theories,
but worth noting Holder wasn’t in any way talking about or suggesting any type of tracking bracelet.
Or labor camps…or brain thought chips.
He was discussing safety measures the gun industry has introduced and promoted.
Fair enough that Ed let that idea hang in his misleading post headline and intro.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM

The absence of “tracking” capability doesn’t bring a sense of “relief.”

It’s just something else that can “go wrong” at the worst possible moment.

But, the fact remains that the computers in our motor vehicles CAN disable the vehicle, if the right authority figure in the government decides to.
But we shouldn’t entertain any such thoughts about our government doing this with the “gun-bracelet” idea, because: ____________________(fill in the blank) ___________________________________________________________.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I should have included this with my 11:35 AM comment, earlier:

The only “advantage” of the bracelet is that, being a wireless device, it can be disabled remotely.

ZenDraken on April 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I spent a short time on food stamps. I most certainly was NOT a moocher. I also didn’t eat out while I was on them.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I grew up on welfare and I wasn’t a moocher. My father was. Back in those days you could only buy staples with food coupons – milk, bread, butter, eggs, vegetables, meat … no candy, prepared foods, convenience foods and no fast foods. Back then moochers were pretty rare – today they are a Majority.
Key West Reader on April 8, 2014 at 9:19 AM

When I grew up there was no such thing as government welfare or food stamps or anything of the sort. People did not starve, everybody survived. Everybody wanted to work.

What the heck ever happened to that concept?

NOMOBO on April 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I doubt that Mussolini or any other tyrant before or after him, envisioned the day that they would be swinging from a rope.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Maybe an inkling.

Today in history:
April 7, 1926
Mussolini’s Irish wife breaks his nose.

katy the mean old lady on April 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Good is bad, and bad is good.

petunia on April 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Old Country Boy on April 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM

The moron Eric Holder is also the first and only sitting Cabinet member in 225 years to be cited for contempt of Congress.

slickwillie2001 on April 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Eric Holder did not prosecute black thugs threatening voters outside a Philadelphia polling place. Yes I know as I kept up with that case with interest…….. “A former Justice Department attorney who quit his job to protest the Obama administration’s handling of the New Black Panther Party voter intimidation case is accusing Attorney General Eric Holder of dropping the charges for racially motivated reasons.”

J. Christian Adams, now an attorney in Virginia and a conservative blogger for Pajamas Media, says he and the other Justice Department lawyers working on the case were ordered to dismiss it.

“I mean we were told, ‘Drop the charges against the New Black Panther Party,’” Adams told Fox News, adding that political appointees Loretta King, acting head of the civil rights division, and Steve Rosenbaum, an attorney with the division since 2003, ordered the dismissal.

Eric Holder deliberately laundered money and engaged in gun-running to Mexican drug cartels. This was done as part of a scheme to limit the Second Amendment. Yes I know as I kept up with Sharyl Attkisson reporting……“Demand Letter 3” is the long-gun multiple purchases tracking measure for border-states that the ATF, in conjunction with the Obama Administration, tried to ram down the throats of law-abiding gun owners and Federal Firearm Licensees this past April. It was coined “Demand Letter 3” because it’s the third ATF initiative in recent years to force gun dealers to report tracing information.”

Eric Holder has lied to Congress multiple times. Including but not limited to claiming to have had no knowledge about spying on James Rosen even though he signed off on the warrant. Well, guess what….I also have been keeping up with the lies also and here is a short recap as there are many more……..” Before he lied to Congress while under oath about what he knew about targeting reporters, he lied about Fast and Furious. As early as the New Black Panthers case, Eric Holder had a problem with the truth.

That the House Judiciary Committee is investigating whether Attorney General Eric Holder lied under oath during his May 15 testimony on Department of Justice (DOJ) surveillance of reporters comes as no surprise. People have forgotten about the New Black Panther case, perhaps the most clear-cut case of voter suppression and intimidation ever. On Election Day 2008, New Black Panther Party members in military garb were videotaped intimidating voters outside a Philadelphia polling place.

The slam-dunk prosecution of these thugs was dropped by Holder’s Justice Department. When asked why, Holder, on March 1, 2011, testified before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies that the “decisions made in the New Black Panther Party case were made by career attorneys in the department.”

Holder lied, for the decisions were made by political appointees. J. Christian Adams, a former career DOJ attorney in the Voting Rights Section, testified before the U.S. Civil Rights Commission that it was Associate Attorney General Thomas Perrelli, an Obama political appointee, who overruled a unanimous recommendation for prosecution by Adams and his associates.

Documents obtained by Judicial Watch and a ruling by Judge Reggie B. Walton of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in response to a suit brought by the group show that “political appointees within DOJ were conferring about the status and resolution of the New Black Panther Party case in the days preceding the DOJ’s dismissal of claims in that case.”

Fast forward to Fast and Furious, the Obama administration’s program to “walk” guns across the border and into the hands of Mexican drug cartels in furtherance of its gun control agenda.
“When did you first know about the program officially I believe called Fast and Furious? To the best of your knowledge, what date?” House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa asked Holder in sworn testimony on May 3, 2011. “I’m not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks,” was Holder’s response.

Holder lied: A July 2010 memo shows Michael Walther, head of the National Drug Intelligence Center, told Holder that straw buyers in Fast and Furious “are responsible for the purchase of 1,500 firearms that were then supplied to the Mexican drug trafficking cartels.”

Need I go on? You can if you want, but so far I am up so speed on all the issues you pointed out.

It amazes me how you lovers of Obama think all of this is okay with a Democrat in the White House. It does not amaze me but does make me sad and mad at the same time.

Filthy disgusting anti-American behavior no matter what excuses you make. I will be polite. It is obvious you have not read anything I have posted here (or my writing skills are worse than I thought), thus please make an effort to read my posts before commenting on my positions. I do the same to others out of respect, even when I disagree with them.

My silly jokes are another issue. Chuckle!!!

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The only way to stop this nonsense is to WIN elections.

And the only way to WIN elections, is to stop tearing down human candidates who run for office.

petunia on April 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Mussolini’s Irish wife breaks his nose.

katy the mean old lady on April 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Was she a redhead?
Gotta watch out for those Irish redheads – heck of a temper….
(I’m happily married to one)

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Mussolini’s Irish wife breaks his nose.

katy the mean old lady on April 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I gots me one of those!

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Are we at the point where someone takes a vibranium shield and shoves it up Holder’s arse? Or would he enjoy that too much.

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

They were delusionally disbelieving and arrogant until they were bound. I am certain that that is the way of all tyrants, given their megalomania,
There was no joy on the part of the soldiers.
People of conscience and good will be rightfully disturbed by that video and realize that that is, of course, an unfortunate but necessary last resort in dealing with tyrants. The same would hold with putting down a rabid dog.
The entire administration should watch that video.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I say we fight fire with firs

DinaRehn on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Dangerous, poking a stick into a fire…. ;)

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Lolz! Meow works well for me as of late. ; )

Bmore on April 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM

bend over!

Meow on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Hi Meow, good to see you on thread. ; )

Bmore on April 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM

bend over!

Meow on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

P.S. Meow, I presume you mean Eric. ; ) Lolz! Good one Meow!

Bmore on April 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I’m not against guns…have owned them, and would again.
I still go to a range on occasion. Would love to try duck hunting sometime.
But have about as much time for gun aficionados as I do for prog rock aficionados.
They just bore me with the minutia.
That doesn’t mean I begrudge someone their pistol collection…or their original vinyl copy of ELP’s ‘Brain Salad Surgery’…

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

For the (I’ve lost count) time . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is NOT about the hobby, recreational, or sporting applications of firearms. It IS (present tense) to enable the common American citizens to:

1) – make the government AFRAID of them (that means AR15s and AK47s with military capacity mags).

2) – defend themselves against common criminals

3) – defend themselves against dangerous animals
Hunting, target shooting, and other “fun” stuff comes after those first three.

DO I NEED TO REPHRASE THAT FOR “CLARITY”, VERBALUCE ?

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Bmore on April 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM

“Meow” is good because it can me so many things. Cat-fight, so stupid it doesn’t merit a real response, I need to go out now, et al.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I saw that. Now, your just making fun of me. :)

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Sew what?!?! I filed that exchange away when it happened because I new eye wood knead it.

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Happy Nomad –
Look what your flippancy bring.
You’re an inspiration to some.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM

maybe you should quash free speech and shut down the internet and twitter.

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM

; )

Bmore on April 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I gots me one of those!

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM

The Irish wife or the broken nose? ; )

Bmore on April 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM

The heck with needing a gun. I’ll just get 6 bracelets and nobody will mess with me! (watch out for him, he’s a 6 bracelet carrier!)

TerryW on April 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM

To be precise, taking into account District of Columbia v. Heller, the 2nd Amendment stands as a protection of an individual right. What will be interesting is that Justice Scalia’s majority opinion stated “at the time of the ratification of the Bill of Rights (it was) demonstrated that the persons who drafted and ratified the 2nd Amendment must have meant to protect the right of individuals to keep firearms for self defense.” Justice Scalia also wrote that the @2nd Amendment right is not unlimited.

Will be interesting to see how future courts interpret “self defense” and what limits can be placed on ownership of firearms by citizens.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM

TerryW on April 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Ok … I’ll admit it … I laughed . . . : )

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 12:39 PM

The Irish wife or the broken nose? ; )

Bmore on April 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Since we came from Northern Ireland and me family was Catholic, I was born with a broken nose. Tough crowd…Chuckle!!!

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM

The DOJ concept to tag legal gun owners needs the light of transparency to clear it up.

Why does the DOJ need to tag legal gun owners???? To protect you from U.S. or for THEM (Those Humane Evil Men), aka the DOJ, to protect illegal gun owners from U.S.???

In any case, the DOJ spin, is being played at the wrong speed (e.g. a 45 played at 78) to confuse the public into thinking the right thing is being down to the wrong people. Tagging makes it easier to identify U.S. for targeting.

MSGTAS on April 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I’m not against guns…have owned them, and would again.
I still go to a range on occasion. Would love to try duck hunting sometime.
They just bore me with the minutia.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

but, but, I have some friends who are gay.

I couldn’t care less what you begrudge or not. NYFB. I am into ballistics. Until you can get . 25″ group at 100 yards or hit 20 for 25, of course you’d find it boring. Mental masterb@tion bores me.

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 12:46 PM

“My people” holder should be wearing an ankle monitor …

Whitey Ford on April 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Our government’s structure is sound. The problem is the people running it.
It’s like a well built house that is taken over by juvenile delinquents, who, for sundry reasons, trash and ultimately burn down the house, if the homeowners don’t take measures to deal with the delinquents.

Obama, Holder, Reid, Pelosi, et. al. are juvenile delinquents in the process of trashing the house and are close to lighting it on fire.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Federal employees should have to wear shock collars that give an extreme electric shock every time they lie or refuse to answer a question.

The Rogue Tomato on April 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 12:46 PM

New York Farm Bureau? I don’t think Verbs has ever talked about animals or such!

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM

The Rogue Tomato on April 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Lie detection isn’t quite viable. Just give them electric fence dog collars and confine them to DC. No money in, no money out.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Can I get a remote control with a kill switch?
And I don’t mean a switch that will turn the collar off…..

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I say we fight fire with firs Fire

DinaRehn on April 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Dangerous, poking a stick into a fire…. ;)

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Said it before, I’ll say it again, the edit function is one of the few advantages to Disgust.

DinaRehn on April 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Pistols stop crooks. Rifles stop Tyrants.

Which is Holder?

ConstantineXI on April 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM

How old am I? I’m old enough to have been in the rifle club in high school.

V7_Sport on April 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Criminals would love to have honest citizens to be disarmed.
Leftists, who are in fact basically common criminals, want good citizens to be disarmed.
They don’t give a rat’s a$$ about shootings or gun violence – just witness their lack of concern about the crime in Chicago. Leftists feign concern and exploit any gun related violence as a means to achieve their desired ends.
Liberals are their useful idiots who parrot the fake concern of their Leftist leaders.

We are all now in effect living in Chicago.
Keep your guns and keep them handy.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Can I get a remote control with a kill switch?
And I don’t mean a switch that will turn the collar off…..

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Sure, why not? As long as we’re living in fantasyland.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Sure, why not? As long as we’re living in fantasyland.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Well he11 – the Dems are living in their fantasyland – we should be able to have ours….

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Pistols stop crooks. Rifles stop Tyrants.
Which is Holder?

ConstantineXI on April 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

So both would last about as long as the battery, and when my kid gets my trusty, he needs to get a new battery?

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM

“Common sense” would be to leave law-abiding citizens alone. Of course, “common sense” would also be to not traffic rifles to drug cartels across the border into Mexico without any way to track them or retrieve them, so we know what role “common sense” plays in Eric Holder’s DoJ.

Behind every gun-control activist, I’m starting to think, lies a gun runner. Leland Yee just made this obvious.

Aitch748 on April 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Aitch748 on April 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I think only the elitist guns for me but not for thee type (think politician, professor, and talking head). Of course, there are always hypocrites and criminals who vote for leftists mostly on other issues, but for the most part the sheep have to buy into the propaganda for it to work.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM

You are pushing back on me on something that wasn’t being discussed.
I was responding to someone…wasn’t making any sort of 2nd amendment rights hierarchical list.
Not saying you’re right…just that you’re being random with your heated opinion here.
I assume you’re ok if a gun owner just wishes to target shoot and/or duck hunt…or do you insist they must share your militia view?

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Despite your close there to try and offer a thin rationale for what Holder is being hysterically accused of saying, I do appreciate the clarity.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Thugs of the Land

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Some thoughts on what has become a viral Internet telephone game. Let’s at least get the facts straight.

ConservativeLA on April 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM

The Possum Holler Translation:

“I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get passed those common sense TAKING YOUR GUNS reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people PEOPLE WE CAN USE TO ADVANCE OUR AGENDA and we talked about how guns can be made more safe,” FOR FEDERAL AUTHORITIES he said.

“By making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear AND WHILE WE’RE AT IT HOW ABOUT WE JUST HAVE A GENERIC KILL SWITCH ON THEM THAT DISABLES THE FIREARMS ACROSS THE COUNTRY WHEN WE DECIDE IT’S NECESSARY?, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.”

“It’s those kinds of things that I think we GUN GRABBERS THAT WANT TO INSTITUTE A TOTALITARIAN REGIME LIKE WE’VE SEEN THROUGHOUT 6,000 YEARS OF RECORDED HISTORY want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights WITH GUNS THEY CAN’T USE UNLESS WE SAY IT’S OKAY, but at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis,” Holder GENERIC PROGRESSIVE POLITICIAN said.

PappyD61 on April 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Maybe politicians and bureaucrats should have to wear an electronic shock collar before they are allowed to talk or voice inane opinions?

xmanvietnam on April 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM

IF we turned in our guns to the Government (state/local/federal/etc.) What would they do to an unarmed nation? What does thousands of years of recorded human history tell us about governments that have subjects that have no weapons?

Discuss.

PappyD61 on April 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM

And perhaps I should have to wear a Yellow Star of David on my chest and have my forearm tattooed?

Eric Holder you can GFY.

He represents the second-place Complete and Utter Fraud in the Administration of President Present.
I wonder if he gets a Presidential Pardon signed by King Putt, The Precedent with lots of ‘fill in the blanks’ in the body of the letter.

Missilengr on April 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Let’s at least get the facts straight.

ConservativeLA on April 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Indeed.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Indeed.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM

When do you start?

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Make gun owners wear an electronic bracelet to activate the gun? If this fool had his way we would be forced to wear a Star of David in public. Oh wait, that was the Nazis, wasn’t it? But keep in mind that contrary to what you’ve been taught, Nazism was of the Left and today’s Progressive Democrats are inheritors of that authoritarian ideology and in time will meet the same fate but not until they first destroy this country.

“Barack knows that we are going to have to make sacrifices; we are going to have to change our conversation; we’re going to have to change our traditions, our history; we’re going to have to move into a different place as a nation.” ~ Michelle Obama, May 2008

“We are 5 days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America” ~ Barack Hussein Obama, October 30, 2008

“We intend a principled transformation in the worldview of our entire society, a revolution of the greatest possible extent that will leave nothing out, changing the life of our nation in every regard.” ~ Joseph Goebbels

“It would not be impossible to prove with sufficient repetition and a psychological understanding of the people concerned that a square is in fact a circle. They are mere words, and words can be molded until they clothe ideas and disguise.” ~ Joseph Goebbels

“If the day should ever come when we must go, if some day we are compelled to leave the scene of history, we will slam the door so hard that the universe will shake and mankind will stand back in stupefaction.” ~ Joseph Goebbels

SpiderMike on April 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM

He’s a hand puppet of the Marxist-in-Chief. What else would you expect? Ain’t gonna happen, ‘buddy’.

Conservchik on April 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM

GFY Holder! Come and take them MFers

Doomsday on April 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I’m not against guns…have owned them, and would again.
I still go to a range on occasion. Would love to try duck hunting sometime.
They just bore me with the minutia.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

So you’re a typical progressive “gun rights supporter” then, which means your position comes down to, “Guns for me but not for thee”.

And your original point about this being just a “safety measure” that we “gun nuts” are freaking out over is laughable. We’ve watched how you progressives play the incrementalism game for many, many years. Today we’ll just push for the bracelet to have an interlock to make the gun operable. Once we’ve gotten the proles to accept that, we can revisit the isuue and add the requirements that –
The bracelet must clearly identify the wearer as a gun owner and must be worn at all times.
The bracelet must have an RFID chip that allows GPS tracking of the wearer.
The government can disable the firearm at any time for any reason through the bracelet.
“Special exceptions” can be made for individuals who are deemed “trustworthy” by the government (this lets you and your progressive pals keep your guns, for the time being anyway).
And so forth and so on.

Gator Country on April 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM

One of the many problems with a system like this. I was simply answering the fear of a govt database – it isn’t necessary. Having said that, since when does this govt do only necessary things?

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Gator Country on April 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM

That’s already the case with the one being marketed in CA. They have units you can deploy to disrupt the signal so you can render “safe” places like a courthouse or school.

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM

This is why its bad.
10 years ago my father was traveling to oregon on a trip. On the side of the freeway he saw that a cop had pulled someone over. Then he noticed a man was shooting into the police car. He immediatly pulled over and thesuspect started to run. My father went up to the twice wounded officer and called for backup on the radio. At that point the suspect came back and fired upon my father. He returned fire with the officers gun and wounded the suspect. With the braclet in place both the officer and my father would be dead. The saving of those two lives are enough for me to be agianst bracletts. To the progressives here, talk with some LEOs first about this subject before chimming in

19thgenamerican on April 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM

You are pushing back on me on something that wasn’t being discussed.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I am INSISTING / DEMANDING that my “militia view” be the WHOLE / ENTIRE / COMPLETE justification for the inclusion of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

I am INSISTING that Atty Gen Holder’s idea [ gun owners having/wearing some kind of digital device that would allow only the owner to fire/discharge their firearm ] is totally CONTRARY to my “militia view” of the 2nd Amendment, and is in fact CONTRARY to the Founding Fathers “militia view” of the 2nd Amendment.

I am INSISTING / DEMANDING that if target shooting and/or any kind of hunting are the only reason(s) for common citizens to own/possess firearms, then there’s no reason for there to be any 2nd Amendment.

I am identifying your defense of Atty Gen Holders idea, as being worthy of CONTEMPT.

All persons who have and hold my “militia view” practice and enjoy recreational shooting because it is the best way to learn and remain in ‘top form’ with your firearms.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Hey Holder.

Do me a favor and push this publicly…all the way to the first week in November.

KirknBurker on April 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Somebody gets it.

KirknBurker on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

And somebody doesn’t get it.

KirknBurker on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Can anybody think of a worse example of a cabinet member than Eric Holder. Not just Atty General; there is no doubt that he is the worst one in living memory, but ANY cabinet position..??

The fact that this former student radical whose background should have excluded him from Atty General consideration (because, duh-!, he might turn out the way he has) is the nation’s chief law enforcement official is laughable were it not such a costly laugh.

Thirty three months, my friends, thirty three months. Let us all hope and pray that the damage this administration can cause is mitigated by a strong, united opposition party in control of both houses of Congress the final two years.

Talk about inheriting a mess. The next President will come into office with damaged institutions.

NeoCon_1 on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

NeoCon_1 on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

There’s different ways of interpreting “worse” as you used it there.

I would say Eric Holder is the most DANGEROUS “rogue” cabinet member in my lifetime, and that includes the Nixon cabinet.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM

“Common sense” is used in today’s cause-politics as a coercive assertion, equivalent to “what all right-thinking people know to be true”, but without the latter phrase’s obvious superiorism.

Which reminds me of Monty Python:

I think that all good, right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that all good, right thinking people in this country are fed up with being told that all good, right thinking people in this country are fed up with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.

SentientAI on April 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Oh, the battery doesn’t bother me so much, if it’s cr123 or AAA. And you can change it yourself. I am more concerned if my adult children need to take it to a gunsmith (record keeping) or the local Police department (record keeping).

And I am sure the batteries would be as available, as, say, 22LR.

As someone said previously, analog is looking better every day.

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 6:35 PM

And somebody doesn’t get it.

KirknBurker on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Verb gets it. It’s the typical liberal incrementalism. The key to making it work is deny, always deny.

WryTrvllr on April 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM

What could go wrong?

sadsushi on April 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I think Eric Holder should wear an electronic bracelet around his scrawny a** neck since he is in contempt of court. This guy is an unbelievable piece of work!

Susanboo on April 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM

SentientAI on April 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

It is “annoying,” and it is “drivel” … but we can’t call it “ill conceived”, because it has worked for them up till now.

Which reminds me of Monty Python:

SentientAI on April 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Oh YEAHHHH ! ! ! . . . . . . . . . . . . what a classic . . . : )

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

And somebody doesn’t get it.

KirknBurker on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Yup . . . . . apparently you and I don’t “get it”.

I wish verbaluce would come back and explain it to us, ’cause I hate being “in the dark.”

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 7:38 PM

What’s next? A Star Of David type symbol for legal gun owners and conservatives to wear? Yes, it will make the job of the brown shirts much easier when it comes time to load the trains.

I am not kidding. We are headed in that direction.

they lie on April 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Do you think we could get the bracelets fixed with a yellow star charm?

elephantintheroom on April 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I am not kidding. We are headed in that direction.

they lie on April 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Sounds like the Democratics’ favorite Nazi stooge George Soros is feeding Holder suggestions.

slickwillie2001 on April 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Here Eric READ and LEARN

unfettered

formal : not controlled or restricted
▪ unfettered [=free] access ▪ an unfettered market

dugbru on April 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM

How does Holder’s “gun safety” then jibe with his Fast and Furious?

He only wants guns taken from law-abiding citizens, but he’ll pass them out to criminals to get the results he desires.

Once again with these progressives it is the ends justify the means.

Holder is despicable.

I hold him in contempt.

Sherman1864 on April 9, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Time for the men in white coats. Ooos, hope that’s not too racist.

Lee Jan on April 9, 2014 at 3:56 AM

how about the GOVT obeying its own laws

irs violating tea party rights

nsa spying on americans

obama violating seperation of powers

justice dept violating gun running laws.

immigration refusing to do its legal job of deporting illegials.

all are laws broken by democrat progressives.

sniffles1999 on April 9, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Really, i mean really looking forward to voting DEMS out of power in november 2014, or as many as possible.

That is ME obeying the law not like eric holder and obama breaking the laws they took oaths to uphold.

sniffles1999 on April 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM