Holder: Maybe lawful gun owners should have to wear electronic bracelets to use them

posted at 8:41 am on April 8, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

How old am I? I’m old enough to remember when the only people on whom government wanted to put electronic bracelets were criminals. Attorney General Eric Holder testified yesterday on Capitol Hill about gun-safety programs promoted by the Department of Justice, which wants almost $400 million in the next budget for “common sense” regulations like electronic bracelets for firearms:

“I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get passed those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe,” he said.

“By making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.”

“It’s those kinds of things that I think we want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights, but at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis,” Holder said.

First, the electronic bracelet concept has barely passed the theoretical stage, let alone made it into the commercial market. There is literally one pistol model being sold in one gun story in America which fits Holder’s “common sense” requirement. How exactly would that allow Americans to “enjoy their Second Amendment rights”?  Most gun owners — and there are over 60 million of them — handle and store their weapons safely. More people get murdered each year by body parts than by rifles, for instance, which had been the focus of gun-control efforts over the last sixteen months.

Drunk drivers kill nearly as many people each year as all firearms, and that figure may be seriously underestimated. Driving is already a government-regulated activity, so why not focus on installing breathalyzers in autos? Because when people need to drive, they don’t want a failing breathalyzer unit to keep their car from starting, and since most car owners don’t drink and drive in the first place, they don’t want to be treated like a criminal just to exercise their privilege of driving on public roads. Why should law-abiding citizens have to deal with the same kind of system malfunction at the precise moment they need a firearm to defend themselves or their families?

“Common sense” would be to leave law-abiding citizens alone. Of course, “common sense” would also be to not traffic rifles to drug cartels across the border into Mexico without any way to track them or retrieve them, so we know what role “common sense” plays in Eric Holder’s DoJ.

Update: I originally said that drunk drivers kill nearly twice as many people as those with firearms, but I was thinking specifically about handgun murders. I’ve changed the wording on that sentence; thanks to Tom W for the correction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Why not go after RandallinHerndon, who should be banned?

Akzed on April 8, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Fair enough.
But I’m not one to call for banning.
Sometimes it’s helpful for some to see some of the folks who feel they’re part of the gang.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM

(Bmore – What was I supposed to say at the top there)

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Maybe democrats should have to wear electronic bracelets, just because…

PatriotRider on April 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Post of the Day Week Month Year

ToddPA on April 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

What flippancy? I’m serious that Eric Holder is a criminal and in a just world he would be doing a very long sentence for his crimes.

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM

First, Holder is innocent until proven guilty.

Second, if the exact things that have happened under Holder would have happened under Alberto R. Gonzales, Verbs and most liberals would be going nuts. I would have had a more staid reaction and would have wanted a hearing of some sort to find out the truth.

Third, of all those going nuts if it was Gonzales……99% now could care less and find a reason to look the other way, as politics trumps all. Truth is in the back seat when it comes to policing their own.

Lastly, I want a hearing of some sort to find out the truth for events that happened on Holder’s watch. For me the truth comes first and I am more than fine with letting the chips fall where they may when it comes to any government official. They work for us, be they R/D/L/C/I/Aliens!

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Simply put, Holder is a Progressive, racist, Fascist. We are one bracelet away from forced servitude to Fascism.

vnvet on April 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM

First, Holder is innocent until proven guilty.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Awfully hard to find him guilty when the entire Justice Department employs delaying tactics to get at the information.

Cleombrotus on April 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Of course, the real reason for this proposal is to make everyone gay.

OldEnglish on April 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Doesn’t make me happy or joyous at all.

Nutstuyu on April 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Nutstuyu on April 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM

OldEnglish on April 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Verbs, I have a lot of friends that even you would consider liberal who own firearms for various reasons.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I make this point often, but I’ll consider someone liberal if that’s how they view themselves. Same with conservatives.
Aside from that, it’s meaningless to me.
‘Conservatives’ call themselves that and demand to be referred to as such – ‘Liberals’ are decreed such by ‘conservatives’.

I’m not against guns…have owned them, and would again.
I still go to a range on occasion. Would love to try duck hunting sometime.
But have about as much time for gun aficionados as I do for prog rock aficionados.
They just bore me with the minutia.
That doesn’t mean I begrudge someone their pistol collection…or their original vinyl copy of ELP’s ‘Brain Salad Surgery’…

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I love the appeal to “common sense” which liberals never give any value to. Just try that argument on a proponent of SSM.

How would Holder feel about requiring voters to have ID bracelets in order to cast a vote so that people have the ability to enjoy their voting rights while at the same time decreasing the misuse of those rights by illegal voters?

Instead of putting the bracelets on legal gun owners, we should put them on the criminals. If a convicted felon grabs a “smart” gun, he instantly get drugged into insensibility and the bracelet calls the cops to come arrest a felon in possession of a gun so he can be sent back to prison. Yeah, that technology doesn’t exist, but that’s never stopped anti-gunners from passing laws mandating it anyway, since they’re smarter than everyone else and will lead the way into a brighter future.

Socratease on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Maybe the members of our modern day Pravda should have to wear bracelets that force them to tell the truth with an electric jolt to remind them when they’ve lied. Most would probably die from electrocution though.

iamsaved on April 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Cleombrotus on April 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Fully understand and all I can do is voice my opinion and try to change others to care about the truth sans politics. I realzie you do care about the truth, thus I am not pointing an internet finger at you.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM

The only “advantage” of the bracelet is that, being a wireless device, it can be disabled remotely.

ZenDraken on April 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM

This is the sort of thing that makes me get out the torches and pitchforks. it’s not only the fascism, but the waste of money. If that money is burning hole in the admin’s pocket (as if we weren’t in deep debt), make it something worthwhile, like cancer research.

juliesa on April 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I didn’t read all posts, so please forgive me, if I am double posting.
What about a bracelet for ALL convicts that will NOT allow them to fire a weapon? I know, it’s foolish on both counts. But, since we’re playing in fantasy land…

LastRonin on April 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM

… so we know what role “common sense” plays in Eric Holder’s DoJ.

Fascists have their own idea of “common sense.”

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM

It is my belief that one day soon a firearms manufacturer will team up with an administration like G.E. has with the current WH; for a competitive advantage over other manufacturers…

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Perhaps, but gun owners might actually “turn” on any such manufacturer and boycott their products. So in the absence of legislation, I think such a partnership is unlikely.

In terms of combating criminal uses of firearms, the bracelet idea is a non-starter for a whole host of reasons.

climbnjump on April 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Holder’s dicking with us. PsyOps.

Shifting the Overton Window is what this is about.

petefrt on April 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM

OK, lets start with all gun-totin’ members of the Department of Justice, the Capitol Police, the USSS, the 92 other federal agencies that have a need for armed personnel.

If it is such a great idea, they should be jumping on the opportunity, and if its a great idea for us, it must be a great opportunity for them.

HBowmanMD on April 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Akzed on April 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I’m pretty sure successful home invasions are on the decline in Detroit too. Pretty much because of a black guy with a different opinion from Holder.

Oldnuke on April 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM

First, Holder is innocent until proven guilty.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

In the 5+ years he’s been in the Justice Department, I have never heard him utter those words once….

itsspideyman on April 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM

iamsaved on April 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I would much prefer that they wear necklaces.

OldEnglish on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Since it’s such a wonderful idea, will the bracelets be useded on Secret Service, LEO’s and the military?

LastRonin on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

HBowmanMD on April 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Did you know that even the Post Office and Bureau of Land Management have armed agents. The BLM even has snipers. I wonder why?

Oldnuke on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Would love to try duck hunting sometime.
verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Try turkey hunting first, and if you like that……then go out duck hunting. Both liberals and conservatives think/feel their positions are correct; as it should be, and I try to listen to both without invoking my beliefs. Not that I am all that successful. Diversity does mean listening to others and respecting those with a different world and life viewpoint.

You do up the posts counts when you comment I must admit! Thanks for your response and again, hope all is well.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Everyone should have a bracelet that contains your personal information and only allows you to vote once.

HumpBot Salvation on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

[comment deleted- prevented banning]

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I know what you said and my thoughts as well.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

My buddies and I used that Album as a frisbee…

To Wit Verb, you opine that you have little interest in
the Minutia of these discussions…what you choose not to
address is that this man is the Nation’s Top Cop, not
some blogger on this website boring you….

ToddPA on April 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Back in those days you could only buy staples with food coupons – milk, bread, butter, eggs, vegetables, meat … no candy, prepared foods, convenience foods and no fast foods. Back then moochers were pretty rare – today they are a Majority.

Key West Reader on April 8, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I could be wrong, but I’ve heard the big food processors lobbied to have their junk food products put on the list of food that food stamps can buy. I think food stamps are vital for people who need them, but like any big government program, it provides massive opportunity for graft.

juliesa on April 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

climbnjump on April 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I hope you are right but when I saw Coke team up with the WH on AGW to get a competitive advantage over Pepsi in obtaining water rights in India…..I became a lot more concerned than I had in the past with us going from a corporatist system (Executive Branch) to an outright Oligarchy.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:31 AM

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

My buddies and I used that Album as a frisbee…

ToddPA on April 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM

It might also make a good substitute for a clay pigeon…

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM

juliesa on April 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I’d be surprised if they didn’t lobby for inclusion. It’s in their best “Bottom Line” interest. Lots of $$$ there and growing all the time. That doesn’t upset me. The fact that the government allowed it upsets me. But then that’s graft which, as you so rightly pointed out, is rife within all government programs.

Oldnuke on April 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Bloody, beaten gun owner in his home: “But, officer, I tried to shoot the burglars but I couldn’t find my @#$%& bracelet!”

Steve Z on April 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Holder knows crap like this will never pass the House. So like a true liberal, saying anything and not being called on it. How about tagging criminals and ex-cons instead?

racquetballer on April 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Next, bracelets for Christians.

faraway on April 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Electronic tattoos…?

d1carter on April 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Try turkey hunting first, and if you like that……then go out duck hunting.

Could we start with Holder? He’s one turkey that shouldn’t be pardoned for Thanksgiving.

Steve Z on April 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Just as most schemes by members of this facist regime, this is ridiculous on so many levels.
Does this imbecile actually think that low-life criminals are going to put on a bracelet before they knock off a liquor store or shoot up a rival gang’s neighborhood? I would suggest laughing in his face, but then this is no joke.
Most gun crimes are committed by criminals with illegally-obtained weapons, which his ‘justice’ department has helped to distribute.
This unjust proposal would affect only law-abiding citizens, whom it would handicap even more in the face of rampant thug crime, most of which goes unprosecuted.
Maybe that’s the idea. Maybe this is one of the latest ideas of how to eliminate more of the ‘enemies’ of this corrupt and sick administration.

maryo on April 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Why not a huge scarlet “G.O.” embroidered on all our shirts?

ImmigrantsWife on April 8, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Holder could extend the bracelets to illegal aliens.

faraway on April 8, 2014 at 10:37 AM

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:31 AM

From a product boycott perspective, the difference is that many customers of Coke products probably agree with the stance that the company took – the rest probably don’t care enough for it to matter.

climbnjump on April 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Eric Holder is the Attorney General of the United States, and he openly disregards laws he doesn’t like, he flouts state laws by calling for violation of those laws, and he flagrantly declines to prosecute violations of long-standing law.

His opinion on anything ain’t worth sh**. He is the perfect example of why arguing with Lefties ain’t worth it; they feel no shame about their lawlessness. They are proud of it, and they want contrarians dead.

I would much prefer we stand up, be counted, and just ‘get to it.’

M240H on April 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

To Wit Verb, you opine that you have little interest in
the Minutia of these discussions…what you choose not to
address is that this man is the Nation’s Top Cop, not
some blogger on this website boring you….

ToddPA on April 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Should I address the fantasy that Holder was talking about ‘tracking’ bracelets?
Fox News has this as the headline (less coy than Ed’s):
Holder: We want to explore gun tracking bracelets

And they base that on what Holder said yesterday – which wasn’t that at all. At…all.
And now – surprise, surprise – some gun owners freaking out about having to wear tracking bracelets.
So I’m not really talking about guns or about Holder.
I just see a stellar and acute example of how the right stirs up hysteria from utter falsehoods.
But I’m sure you’re more concerned with the ‘liberal’ media…

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Holder was a criminal from the get-go. But the fear of da black man was such that most Rethuglicans cowered in fear of not confirming him.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM

The lords and masters don’t like it when the serfs have parity in firepower and don’t know their place…

Eff Em…

Kuffar on April 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Jeeze. How about a gun-shaped yellow patch on our clothing, instead?

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on April 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Installing Security Update 23 of 476.
Please Do Not Turn-Off Your Gun.
When Complete, Your Gun will Reboot Automatically.

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Out: “It’s for the children”
In: “common sense”.

But why not get go ahead and get the stupid bracelet and then wrap it around the gun grip.

kurtzz3 on April 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM

First, Holder is innocent until proven guilty.

HonestLib

HotAir isn’t a courtroom. So no, he isn’t innocent.

xblade on April 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Maybe we could just use the bracelet to deflect criminals’ bullets, you know, like Wonder Woman!

ImmigrantsWife on April 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM

The Obama Regime had to look far and wide to find this Genius.

TimBuk3 on April 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM

People tend to delude themselves when they are comfortable and in control. Most citizens thought (if they thought about it at all) that the current state of affairs could not possibly occur in the United States.

Similarly, nascent tyrants like Holder, Obama, Reid, Pelosi and their ilk similarly delude themselves that what has happened to tyrants in the past cannot possibly happen to them. They are increasingly arrogant and feel smugly comfortable that they are well protected.They feel protected by the media. They feel protected by the police, the military and other armed government agencies. They feel protected by technology.

I doubt that Mussolini or any other tyrant before or after him, envisioned the day that they would be swinging from a rope.

As hard as it is to believe, there is an increasing likelihood that armed conflict is coming in the not too distant future.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Electronic tattoos…?

d1carter on April 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Your name is now “Not Sure”…..

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Installing Security Update 23 of 476.
Please Do Not Turn-Off Your Gun.
When Complete, Your Gun will Reboot Automatically.

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM

That is two funny!

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I’m sure Herr Cuomo thinks this is a fine idea and has already allocated the funds.

Buttercup on April 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Jeeze. How about a gun-shaped yellow patch on our clothing, instead?

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on April 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I have a favorite t-shirt that says “Celebrate Diversity” – along with silhouetts of 56 different guns….
I figure that should give most people, especially potential criminal types, enough of a clue.

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I’m late to the thread … y’all got a big jump on me . . . . . let’s see if I can “catch-up” . . . . . .

[comment deleted- prevented banning]

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I know what you said and my thoughts as well.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Dittos . . . . . but I have a ‘patent’ on that reply, so you both owe me a royalty fee.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Yea. That Ceaușescu couple had quite the surprise party.

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM

That is two funny!

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Brings a whole new meaning to the “blue screen of death”….

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

But I’m sure you’re more concerned with the ‘liberal’ media…

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Stop chanting, and read

The bracelet would be have to be tracked and updated by some Fed authority.

faraway on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

The easy way to deal with Holder is to point out that he has never and refuses to prosecute black gangbangers who shoot children because they vote for Obama.

As well as illegal immigrants who kill American citizens because the Obama Party serves criminals first.

Shove it back in his worthless face and force him to eat it.

northdallasthirty on April 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Yeah but… use them on who?

Akzed on April 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM

All government officials and LEOs will have disabling devices, which I’m absolutely certain that no one will be able to hack or replicate, and those that sell them will never sell them to the wrong person, and they are pretty much un-stealable.

slickwillie2001 on April 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM

First, Holder is innocent until proven guilty.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Eric Holder did not prosecute black thugs threatening voters outside a Philadelphia polling place.

Eric Holder deliberately laundered money and engaged in gun-running to Mexican drug cartels. This was done as part of a scheme to limit the Second Amendment.

Eric Holder has lied to Congress multiple times. Including but not limited to claiming to have had no knowledge about spying on James Rosen even though he signed off on the warrant.

Need I go on? It amazes me how you lovers of Obama think all of this is okay with a Democrat in the White House. Filthy disgusting anti-American behavior no matter what excuses you make.

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Did the guns you sent over the border to Mexico come with ankle bracelets Mr. Holder?

Rovin on April 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM

This is one of a few comments here I could nominate for “thread winner.”

Kudos, Rovin.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Maybe corrupt Attorneys General should be the ones wearing electronic bracelets

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM

So I’m not really talking about guns or about Holder.
But I’m sure you’re more concerned with the ‘liberal’ media…

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

So idiot, how do you suppose the RFID in the bracelet works with the correct gun?

Oh yeah, it would need to be tracked by the gov’t.

Seriously, you should just shut the eff up and not expose your abject stupidity on every freaking subject.

HumpBot Salvation on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

(Bmore – What was I supposed to say at the top there)

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:59 AM

bend over!

Meow on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

When the time comes- when their lawlessness and excesses have reached the tipping point- the names of these arrogant and smug fools will be remembered, and there will be no place for them to hide. A patriot will be behind every wall, every tree and every blade of grass.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

“It’s those kinds of things that I think we want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights, but at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis.”

U.S. Atty General Eric Holder

Constitutional rights aren’t enjoyed. There are exercised, and Holder knows the difference.

RadClown on April 8, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Right – ON . . . . . . . . . . nothing else needs be said.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

My Lord. What is happening to the Land of the Free?

kingsjester on April 8, 2014 at 11:08 AM

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I saw what you did there. So now “noose” is a dog-whistle?

Alien on April 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM

First, Holder is innocent until proven guilty.

HonestLib

HotAir isn’t a courtroom. So no, he isn’t innocent.

xblade on April 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Holder is guilty of many things – proving them in court would be difficult.

But let’s just take Fast & Furious for an example. Holder claims he knew nothing about it. If that is true, why has he taken NO ACTION against the people in his organization who willfully broke the law by running guns across an international boarder?

The only folks who have suffered any adverse consequences are Brian Terry, many hundreds of people in Mexico and the whistle blowers in ATF. Most of the people who thought up and actually ran the program are still employed and in some cases have been promoted. (Yes, a couple did retire with full benefits or left of their own accord.)

Either Holder knew and approved of the operation and is lying about that, or he is willfully ignoring the duties of his office to enforce the laws of the United States by refusing to prosecute those who have broken the law.

So yeah, he’s guilty.

climbnjump on April 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Verbie is a likeable dunce, not a troll.

The other leftists, not liberals, are most all thugs.

We are the true liberals, in the literal sense of the word.

Holder is a Thug, who protects the Punk, who’s chief, due to modern day subjugation of minds and sheep.

Molon Labe.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM

It is my sincere hope and if there is any justice in the world Eric Holder will one day be wearing an ankle bracelet but only after a very long stint wearing a bright orange jumpsuit.

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM

A bright orange jump suit is letting him off easy. A noose is more appropriate.

RandallinHerndon on April 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Happy Nomad

Look what your flippancy bring.

You’re an inspiration to some.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Hey troll-

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Hey verbal’ . . . . . the shoe fits.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Yea. That Ceaușescu couple had quite the surprise party.

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Indeed.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM

If Holder gets his wish, I pity the people who don’t wear a bracelet. Talk about being a walking target of criminals! In fact, I’m going to go into business manufacturing look-alikes for people who don’t carry a gun, but also don’t want to advertise to society’s riffraff that they aren’t armed.

CJ on April 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM

You’re assuming all those lacking bracelets are also lacking guns. I suspect a significant percentage would just take their chances, and in the event of having to use their gun, not call the police.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Funny that. Isn’t the CEO of Pepsi from India and famously gave the bird to America a few years back?

AH_C on April 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Come on, Eric.

We know the bracelets you want law-abiding gun owners to wear aren’t electronic. They lock, and are joined together by chains, and can be attached to locking ankle bracelets as well.

applebutter on April 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM

But I’m sure you’re more concerned with the ‘liberal’ media…

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Hate to break it to you scooter, stirring up hysteria from utter falsehoods is the domain of the left and the liberal media.

OWS
Matthew Shepherd
Mozilla
War on Women
Climate Change
The Republicans gonna put you in chaaaaaaaaaiiiiinnnnnssss

and on and on and on

HumpBot Salvation on April 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM

There’s no better advertisement for gun sales than Eric Holder.

He’s such an incompetent boob he doesn’t even realize it.

fogw on April 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM

CJ on April 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Uh, yah – there are about 300 million “old fashioned” guns (i.e. not electronic) already out there. And I’m sure as he11 not giving up the ones I have.
Do they really believe they’re going to be able to confiscate all of them? (rhetorical question – they probably do)

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM

[comment deleted- prevented banning]
Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I know what you said and my thoughts as well.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I, for one, do not know what you said. But I’m guessing I owe you a royalty fee too.

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Maybe all government employees and politicians should be monitored 24 by 7 to avoid further illegal acts like Fast and Furious. Most gun owners have never committed a crime. You can’t say this about Holder, or Lerner, or….

thefirstMarkD on April 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM

How about a stupid test for the Attorney General.

Sven on April 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM

This is Obama’s version of requiring those he despises to paint the Star of David on their sleeves. Next comes the round-up and then, off to the camps. He knows he can’t enslave an armed population so his answer is to vilify and disarm.

TimeOnTarget on April 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Yes because in the case of an emergency, why a lot of legal gun-owners have guns in the first place, it would be very convenient to find your bracelet… God forbid someone else in your family needs to use your gun.

elephantintheroom on April 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Holder can call it “common sense” if he wants. I call it “totalitarian criminality”.

RebeccaH on April 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Naw, we should tag every wackjob liberal who carry’s a gun. It is they doing the shooting.

jake49 on April 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Can you imagine if Bush’s Att General Gonzales pulling a stunt like this and performing his duties like Holder ignores? Why can’t this Holder consider putting on bracelets on repeat criminals? Its always the law abiding people that have to pay for the leftist ideas. Holder has ignored Fast and Furious, Bengazi sp. enforcing the border lying about number of deportations and letting the afro-amer thugs intimidations. He has help from the president and the media. This fool is more corrupt than Nixon’s Att General.

garydt on April 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM

That Holder is not in prison is endemic of what is so sick with America.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Everyone is free to extrapolate all sorts of tin hat theories,
but worth noting Holder wasn’t in any way talking about or suggesting any type of tracking bracelet.
Or labor camps…or brain thought chips.
He was discussing safety measures the gun industry has introduced and promoted.
Fair enough that Ed let that idea hang in his misleading post headline and intro.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Good grief, but every time you post some of your nonsense
Samuel Adams’s quote immediately comes to mind, the one about..”go from us in peace, we desire neither your counsel or your arms…and let history forget that you were our countrymen.”
Here:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

― Samuel Adams

Cleombrotus on April 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM

@verbaluce 9:26 AM

Or maybe he (Eric Holder) was discussing an electronic device that can be remotely interfered with and made inoperable by the powers that be that will make the firearm useless.

yada yada yada on April 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM

@verbaluce 9:26 AM

Tin hat theories?
Like holder oversaw a gun running program that put guns in the hands of mexican drug cartels?
That he lied to a judge about a reporter being a terrorist threat in order to get surveillance approved on him? And that he then lied about his lie to Congress?

gwelf on April 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM

@verbaluce 9:26 AM

You are so gd stupid it’s not even funny.

HumpBot Salvation on April 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM

@verbaluce 9:26 AM

Be sure to supply us with a list of a criminals who follow “safety measures” or any other gun laws for that matter.

Rovin on April 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM

@verbaluce 9:26 AM

Obviously, the “gun industry” is much closer to representing your interests than it is mine. Happily, I have other representatives.

applebutter on April 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM

The absence of “tracking” capability doesn’t bring a sense of “relief.”

It’s just something else that can “go wrong” at the worst possible moment.

But, the fact remains that the computers in our motor vehicles CAN disable the vehicle, if the right authority figure in the government decides to.
But we shouldn’t entertain any such thoughts about our government doing this with the “gun-bracelet” idea, because: ____________________(fill in the blank) ___________________________________________________________.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I like it!

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on April 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Does he mean like a shock collar for barking dogs, that would shock you every time you fired? Would this be locked on by the cops, like a perp monitoring device?

Ward Cleaver on April 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM

[comment deleted- prevented banning]

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I know what you said and my thoughts as well.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Fenris on April 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM

An honest person !

For that, you’ll only have to pay half-price when the goon squad stops by.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM

That is two funny!

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I saw that. Now, your just making fun of me. :)

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM

TimeOnTarget on April 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Come and get it, holder!

VegasRick on April 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Or maybe he was discussing an electronic device that can be remotely interfered with and made inoperable by the powers that be that will make the firearm useless.

yada yada yada on April 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM

That’s certainly true of the one that is currently slated for sale in CA. They advertise that they will have suppressors so you could lock out firearms in, say, government buildings.

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM

That kind of does away with any pretense of support for the 2nd Amendment.

applebutter on April 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Yea. That Ceaușescu couple had quite the surprise party.

Tsar of Earth on April 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Indeed.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Great video . . . . . . . ffwd to the 5:22 mark, to cut-to-the-chase

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

How about Holder wearing a prison uniform.

VorDaj on April 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM

That kind of does away with any pretense of support for the 2nd Amendment.

applebutter on April 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Well, the pretense has already been pretty dam thin over the last few years. Why even bother with it any longer?

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM