Debunking a few more Obamacare falsehoods

posted at 4:01 pm on April 8, 2014 by Dustin Siggins

Last week, during his speech at the White House proclaiming the success of the Affordable Care Act, President Obama said that the ACA’s effort “didn’t have billions of dollars in commercials like some critics did,” and that “we didn’t make a hard sell” for the law. He also said that 7.1 million people had signed up for the law

It’s pretty clear by now that most things President Obama says about his signature law are false. For example, April 1 was the deadline to sign up for coverage. Except that it wasn’t. Here are three more falsehoods in just the three claims made above.

First, that 7.1 million might be only 858,000, for example. It certainly isn’t 7.1 million. But, hey, who’s counting in a law that’s been delayed, changed, modified, tweaked, and given non-existent deadlines?

Second, if you think President Obama didn’t “make a hard sell” on the Affordable Care Act, you’re living in a dream world. How many speeches, press releases, campaign stops, Executive Orders, and other measures were used by the White House over the last four-plus years to patch together the law’s alleged success? Just the 2010 and 2012 elections, as well as the 2014 elections so far, have seen untold amounts of money, time, and press thrown at convincing the American people that Obamacare’s a great law.

Finally, over at The Fact Checker, Glenn Kessler has taken on Obama’s “billions of dollars” claim, and found it lacking:

“If you are asking me, have billions of dollars been spent on ads attacking the ACA, the answer is no,” said Elizabeth Wilner, senior vice president of Kantar Media Ad Intelligence with oversight of its Campaign Media Analysis Group (CMAG).  “Several hundred million dollars, yes. Really an unprecedented sum. But not billions.”

An administration official tried to justify the president’s statement, according to Kessler:

“The point made in the speech was that we have been vastly outspent, and that is more than backed up by the facts below, including the Kantar Media report showing we were outspent 5 to 1,” a senior administration official said.

Kessler concluded that “‘billions’ is incorrect.”

I’ll add a bit more to Kessler’s conclusion: Not only is “billions” factually wrong, but Obama’s claim that ACA supporters were outspent is false. Obamacare opponents have been outspent in ways that can’t be counted monetarily. Consider the amount of support found in mainstream media, at the Center for American Progress and other think tanks, and among the many federal and state agencies that have sold constituents on the alleged benefits of the Affordable Care Act. To properly count the amount of money spent promoting the law, huge portions of the budgets of ABC, NBC, MSNBC, the New York Times, and other media outlets would have to be added to what supporters of the law “officially” spent.

Then there’s the little matter of the $700 million in taxpayer dollars spent to promote the law.

It would be more accurate for the president to say billions were spent for Obamacare.

Comments

So, I’ll pose this question again. Is there one statement or one number from Obama or his Regime that can be proven to be 100% factual? Just one?

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

How many times does the guy have to lie to some people before they wake up…?
Obamacare was the biggest political scam I have ever seen.

NeoKong on April 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM

But being a despicable dishonest weasel, Kessler refused to give the rat-eared wonder the four Pinnochios his claims deserve.

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Unfortunately – yes.

“We are going to fundamentally change America.”

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Hence, Dear Liar.

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

If he said the sun rises in the east, I’d check my compass. This is actually worrisome, as he seems to be incapable of telling the truth even when there’s no advantage to lying.

rbj on April 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Unfortunately – yes.

“We are going to fundamentally change America.”

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I was gonna go with another unfortunate one: “I won.”

Rogue on April 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I was gonna go with another unfortunate one: “I won.”

Rogue on April 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Ya – he did win – but did he cheat to win?
And if so, does it still count?

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Happy Nomad, I have another post going up later today addressing that exact point.

Dustin Siggins on April 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Ya – he did win – but did he cheat to win?
And if so, does it still count?

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Honestly, I only give him 2008 as a real win, 2012 definitely has an asterisk, as for it counting, unfortunately, yes can’t roll the clock back

Rogue on April 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Dang this phone…unstrike the struck

Rogue on April 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Unfortunately – yes.

“We are going to fundamentally change America.”

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

A phrase that will, IMO, live in infamy.

I was gonna go with another unfortunate one: “I won.”

Rogue on April 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM

He did win, while I guess that’s true, the rest of America most assuredly lost. And is still losing to this day.

Those are both good answers. I’ll admit I was looking for examples that were more tangible, but those are both good…and BAD. :)

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yes. If you want to build a coal fired electricity plant it will bankrupt you.

That one was very true.

Johnnyreb on April 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

rbj on April 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I wholeheartedly agree.

If we had an actual “Press” in this country anymore, one that wouldn’t allow Obama and the Dims to get away with repeatedly lying to us all, it would be a different country and different political world.

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

The largest theft of tax dollars ever devised and they did it legally.

docflash on April 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Watch out for being labeled “Under Observation” when you’re admitted, once stabilized in the ER. You are then 100% liable for all your payments. Medicare pays nothing. It’s how they let older people pay or die.

Make obama’care’ voluntary and see how many stay/go on it.

Leftists are always thugs.

Schadenfreude on April 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Yes. If you want to build a coal fired electricity plant it will bankrupt you.

That one was very true.

Johnnyreb on April 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I’m sensing a pattern here.

So, the only truthful statements are ones that everyone but the radical left would consider huge negatives.

Yep, makes sense.

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM

“The point made in the speech was that we have been vastly outspent, and that is more than backed up by the facts below, including the Kantar Media report showing we were outspent 5 to 1 the POTUS is a filthy, greasy, lazy, irresponsible liar,” a senior administration official said.

Fixed…

JohnGalt23 on April 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I’m sensing a pattern here.
Yep, makes sense.

Meople on April 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM

LOL.
Ya – I guess they occasionally do tell the truth – but it’s always said in such a way that people think they mean something good (at least for some people), but in reality it’s very very bad for us peons – and the country as a whole.

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Remember, the ‘press’ is ‘educated’ by the exact same ‘education’ system as the voters that voted for a black man who accomplished nothing in his life.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM

What is he going to say when the official numbers come out? I read 7.1 million in the newspaper, its not my fault, George Bush told me, and my wife is Morgan Fairchild of who I am married to.

Sven on April 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Lying liar lies. Nothing new here. The Obama regime rots from head with lying, stealing, and cheating. As November comes closer the lies will only get bigger, the accusations against truthful people bigger, and the propaganda arm to go balastic on rhetoric.

I anxiously await a story where the headline is “Obama Tells the Truth about His Controversial Health Care Law.” I shall be waiting a very long time.

jukin3 on April 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Can Obama point to a single accomplishment?

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

7.1 million lies!

Sven on April 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I had to stop listening to Pandora because the pro-Obamacare ads were coming at every break. Don’t tell me they were outspent.

JSchuler on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Can Obama point to a single accomplishment?

Be saved Detroit from bankruptcy and he single handily and got Osama. While not what i consider an accomplishment he has managed to deficit spend more than all the rest of the presidents combined and he still has three more years to go.

jukin3 on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Can Obama point to a single accomplishment?

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Welllll – he HAS “fundamentally transformed America”……

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Oh man phone problems. I let my inner leftist out on that last post. Sorry for all the mistakes.

jukin3 on April 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I think we can figure out what you were saying.

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Millions – billions – SO WHUT! Extorted taxpayer bucks have been used by gummint to pull the wool (also paid for by taxpayers) over the American public’s eyes since the first dollar was torn from earners’ pockets. I am sick to my soul (I’m a conservative, so I have one) at the machinations of the political criminals of both (re: all) parties to spend more of the Peoples’ dough for their own aggrandizement than the good of the Nation. They’re like the snakes on Wall Street creating artificial ‘needs’ and advertising adnauseam to create a manufactured ‘demand’ for their nefarious products designed to ‘cure’ their bottom line. Plug enough ‘millineals’ (however the Hell it’s spelled) into the mind numbing ‘apps’ crapping out of Silicon Valley and we have the formula for our destruction as a Constitutional Republic (already well under way). Those idiots are so clueless that they put the 60′s idjits to shame. Progress…

vnvet on April 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Sorry, but he is a man, whether he be black, white, blue or purple. He’s still a man. The fact that he is, by me reckoning anyway, a wrecking ball of a president is a different matter. (I do agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your statement, btw.)

CPRforAmerica on April 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM

sorry, meant my reckoning, not me. (Must have gone to the same school.)

CPRforAmerica on April 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Del was here?

22044 on April 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM

There isn’t enough bandwidth on the planet to debunk all of Obama’s falsehoods. In order to not suck up all the bandwidth on the planet, you would have to divide them into categories, i.e. the economy, foreign policy, Obamacare, global warming, the constitution, and what he had for breakfast in the morning.

bflat879 on April 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Remember, the ‘press’ is ‘educated’ by the exact same ‘education’ system as the voters that voted for a black man because he was black, who accomplished nothing in his life .

Lanceman on April 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM

CPRforAmerica on April 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Fixed for clarification.

S. D. on April 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM

…what his there…not to debunk?

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Fixed for clarification.

S. D. on April 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Unfortunately, you may be right.

CPRforAmerica on April 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM

King Barack the Magnificent wouldn’t know the truth if it walked up and bit him on the ass.

GarandFan on April 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM

The public must understand using “Common Core” grading criteria an “F” stands for Fabulous, and is to be applauded when received on any undertaking of the current Administration.

MSGTAS on April 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM

One might think years from now,when one would mention Obama, the response would be first (half) African American President. As this debacle of obama care continues to unwind, more likly be – liar.

StevC on April 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM