Betrayed husband lashes out at cheating Congressman

posted at 2:41 pm on April 8, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

It certainly didn’t take Vance McAllister long to make an impact on Washington, but … not the one he imagined. The Republican political neophyte won a special election for the open House seat in Louisiana’s 5th CD last November, having bagged a Duck Dynasty endorsement and bragged about his outsider cred by claiming that he’d never been to Washington at all. A month later, a security camera at his home-district office caught the married father of five “canoodling” with a staffer, also married — but not to McAllister.  After the video leaked to a local newspaper, McAllister apologized to his constituents and asked for “privacy,” but the woman’s husband isn’t letting it go:

“I’m just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I’m going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare,” Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday. …

Heath Peacock said he didn’t know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

“He has wrecked my life,” Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. “We’re headed for divorce.”

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son. …

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, “There’s no doubt I’ve fallen short and I’m asking for forgiveness. I’m asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve.”

Heath Peacock noted that “he’s apologized to everyone in the world except me.”

McAllister may want his privacy, but he also wants to launch his re-election campaign:

McAllister told the Monroe News-Star newspaper that he’ll go ahead with his re-election campaign “unless there is an outcry for me not to serve, and so far there has been an outpouring of support, not for my actions, but for me to continue to represent the people.”

“If the people are willing to forgive me I’ll keep fighting. If there’s somebody more perfect than me who they support, it’s their will,” he said.

Keep fighting? So far, it looks like McAllister has mostly focused on himself. (On that point, McAllister also vowed not to resign.) However, the incumbent does have a couple of advantages in this situation. First, he represents Louisiana, where the entire state had no problem returning David Vitter to the US Senate despite his involvement in a 2007 prostitution scandal. That went a lot farther than “canoodling,” in a legal sense anyway, and yet Vitter won a second term in 2010. Vitter plans on running for governor in 2015, too.

The second advantage is that voters tend to forgive politicians who get caught canoodling, as long as canoodling is their only abuse of their office. A new Quinnipiac poll shows that while personal affairs can seriously impact approval ratings, voters react more strongly and with less forgiveness over abuses of power:

The independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University presented voters with a theoretical congressman – James Miller – whose “main concern in office is developing policies to help middle-class, working families.” Miller was described as 53, married, with two children.

While he is not identified as Republican or Democrat, 83 percent of voters have a “very favorable” or “somewhat favorable” opinion of him, and 65 percent say they “definitely” or “probably” would vote for his reelection.

Some voters were told that Miller was “unfaithful to his wife with another woman.” Among those voters, only 36 percent have a “very favorable” or “somewhat favorable” opinion, with 58 percent “somewhat unfavorable” or “very unfavorable.” A total of 39 percent say they definitely or probably would vote for him, while 49 percent say they definitely or probably would not vote for him.

Another group of voters were told “Miller created a new, well-paid position on his staff in order to hire an unqualified family member as a favor.” In that group, 22 percent have a very or somewhat favorable view, with 75 percent somewhat or very unfavorable. Only 24 percent definitely or probably would vote for him, with 67 percent who definitely or probably would not.

So McAllister is in the clear, right? Maybe not:

Voters have less tolerance for Miller when hypocrisy is added as a factor in the sex scandal. In a scenario where a Miller priority is “promoting moral values,” and then the extramarital affair is mentioned, overall favorability drops to 25 percent, with 68 percent unfavorable. Only 28 percent say they are likely to vote for him, down from 39 percent in the neutral or non-hypocritical scenario.

I’m guessing that the brief interregnum between election and scandal — and the scandal and the next re-election effort — will make a difference, too. Vitter had been in office for more than two years before the DC Madam case broke into the open  (and had served in the House for three terms before his Senate term), and he had another two-plus years before having to fight for his seat.  That allowed Vitter to put the scandal far enough in the rear-view mirror to cruise to a 57/38 victory over Democrat Charlie Melancon. McAllister may not find the timing of this scandal propitious, even if it’s not quite as tawdry as Vitter’s.

Don’t be surprised to see Republicans looking for better options in LA-05, but … since it’s Louisiana, don’t be surprised if McAllister survives, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How’s this news? A real headline would be “Congressman found to have never been involved in a scandal.” That would shock me…

SLMeyer on April 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Heath Peacock … ?

Moving on.

Dude I get that you’re pissed and rightly so but I think you should be more upset with her.

Dash on April 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM

The district is overwhelmingly a Social Conservative one. The favorite in the race had a conservative rating of 100% as a state legislator.

McAllister ran on expanding Medicaid & Obamacare being settled law so let’s get on with life AND I’m a family values man.

While there was a public face of the coalition behind him led by Duck Dynasty’s Robertson family, some very strong and very wealthy (family which founded what is now Delta Airlines and also which was the first to bottle Coca-Cola with LOTS of ownership of both companies) may have more a say than Vance.

Kermit on April 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM

McAllister’s a disgrace and ought to just resign. Sick of pols of any stripe claiming to have certain values, then demonstrating anything but.

I do wonder about the leaking of that tape, though.

changer1701 on April 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

BTW, McAllister was the “anti-establishment” candidate.

Kermit on April 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

The husband should be suing the Congressman for marital interference. Just like with contract law, marriage is also a contract and when an outside party attempts to intefere with it, it’s an actionable event.

There are several cases where injured spouses have sued the other party and won considerable financial judgements. He should sue for an amount equal to whatever the Congressman collects in campaign funds.

I can guarantee you that if more spouses did this, there’s be a lot less cheating going on. :)

TKindred on April 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

If he were a democrat, he would be the leading nominee for 2016.

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

If only he was a Dem – then he could be married and get a BJ from a staffer and still be in good shape politically…..

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Where the hell is the stained blue dress?

ladyingray on April 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Leland Yee? Never heard of him. Pardon me while I get this Vance McAllister story queued up for the seventeenth time today.

- CNN

Occams Stubble on April 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

And the tramp will end up with custody of the child, child support and alimony.

In a fair world the offending party gets the shaft. Welcome to no-fault.

Spartacus on April 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

What the hell happens to people when they get the Washington DC? Is it in the air, the water, the food? The place is a sickness upon this Nation.

I always thought that I would be different if elected. But then this stuff happens. WTF?

TexasJack on April 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Wasn’t there a perfectly normal Republican candidate in the lead here until the crazy Duck people put their 2 cents in? Gee Thanks a lot Quack Quack. This guy turned out to be as genuine as a preppy with filthy long hair and beard and a USA bandana for the cameras.

Marcus on April 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

And the tramp will end up with custody of the child, child support and alimony.
In a fair world the offending party gets the shaft. Welcome to no-fault.

Spartacus on April 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

It doesn’t always go that way.
My brother got custody of the kids after catching his first wife making money in the parking lot (IYKWIM) of the bar she worked at….

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Well, God may forgive you, but no one else will.

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I don’t know how anyone would vote twice for a guy who is clearly an idiot.

Rocks on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

TexasJack on April 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM

With instant communications, is it even necessary to have a Washington DC anymore? Keep these guys in their home districts and let’s see what happens to the quality of legislation.

Occams Stubble on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

No, sir, Mr Peacock. While I won’t defend McAllister, your wife is ultimately responsible for wrecking your life. She is the one who violated the oath that you both took. Unless McAllister or another individual was party to the oath that you and your wife took, then you need to direct your anger at the person who broke her vows: Your wife.

Of course, ‘lashing out’ at your wife won’t get you interviewed by the press. Also, blaming the third party is a way, in my opinion, of trying to cleanse yourself of any feelings that you may have as a result of your wife’s betrayal. It is human nature to want to blame something that has nothing to do with them. In other words, it is easier to blame the third party than your spouse because, at some basic level, you (and most people) take the betrayal of their spouse as a reflection of themselves. ‘How could I have ever trusted her? How could I have been so stupid?’ As I said, it is human nature, but blaming a third-party isn’t the answer. Yes, she violated her oath…and you shouldn’t allow that to be a reflection of yourself or think that it is because of something you did. Well, unless it was.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Marcus on April 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Some serious bigtime local political powers were behind him with much more influence than the DD folks.

Kermit on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

BTW, McAllister was the “anti-establishment” candidate.

Kermit on April 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Let me guess. The “establishment” was Bobby Jindal. Wasn’t it?

CoolAir on April 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Resign, dirtbag.

NotCoach on April 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM

(IYKWIM) of the bar she worked at….

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, how often does that happen? No-fault and family law completely and utterly screws males.

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Spot on. I always found it curious that the betrayed directed their anger at the person their spouse was cheating with first.

NotCoach on April 8, 2014 at 3:01 PM

The media will focus on this and the non-scandal of the Christie bridge, but actual scandals like the IRS, Benghazi, Solyndra, Fast and Furious, Fisker barely get a mention.

nazo311 on April 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

McAllister just gave ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, et al., all the fodder they need for tonight’s news….

Bob Davis on April 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Well, unless it was.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

It takes years before we have the courage to look in the mirror. Most can never do it.

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Kermit on April 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Also wasn’t the election a special election. Doesn’t that mean that the “establishment candidate” (doesn’t remember his name) could actually run again and win this year.

CoolAir on April 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM

wtg dude. u culda had a seat for who knows how many terms … but let yer lips do yer thinking apparently …

ABreitbart on April 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM

All Republican office holders at every level–local, state and national–need to resign immediately when caught red-handedly engaging in corruption, marital infidelity, or other egregious or embarrassing acts such as that committed by Senator Larry ‘Wide Stance’ Craig when he propositioned an undercover officer in an airport men’s room. (Craig didn’t immediately resign as he initially promised, btw.)

If GOP politicians seemingly caught in the act say they didn’t take the bribe or claim they were somehow set up and framed, fine. The criminal stuff will wash out in court via due process. The moral, ethical stuff will be investigated–ideally by an impartial third party that is not the American press. Truth will out.

It isn’t too much for us to ask of Republican elected and appointed officials that they not act like ancient Roman emperors or modern-day Democrats.

troyriser_gopftw on April 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM

It’s funny, I did some research awhile back on political scandals/corruption, and noticed two general trends:

1. Democrats are 2-3 times more likely than Republicans to be convicted of a crime while in office. (duh)

2. Scandals tend to be particularly hypocritical for the elected official in question. Republicans tend to get tagged for things like prostitution, drugs, general sexual impropriety, etc. Democrats tend to be caught evading taxes, engaging in insider trading, sweetheart deals, etc.

LukeinNE on April 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM

LukeinNE on April 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM

None of that surprises me.

NotCoach on April 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Corrupt Liberal Media’s asking for his head when they didn’t have a problem with Clinton & the blue dress episode including the line of other women he harassed or had affairs with.

RdLake on April 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Throw the scumbag out of office.

Jack_Burton on April 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM

RdLake on April 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Or raped. Don’t forget raped.

NotCoach on April 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM

- CNN

Occams Stubble on April 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Spot on.

tominsd on April 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM

NotCoach on April 8, 2014 at 3:01 PM

As I said, I think it is human nature and a way of inculcating one’s self from blaming himself/herself. But, I can honestly say that I’ve never met anyone who was ‘forced’ to betray their spouses. Now, if the wife was forced or pressured by her boss, McAllister, then that’s sexual battery or harassment and we are talking about another issue entirely. I don’t think that this is the case here…at least, it has yet to be disclosed if it is.

In my personal experience, people do not engage in adulterous behaviour unless there is a problem in their marriage in the first place. That’s not to blame this guy. I don’t know the couple’s situation. His wife could be a total b1tch, power-hungry, immature, juvenile, or whatever.

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Very true, but I really dislike when people try to blame – entirely – someone or something else. It’s like battered women syndrome. ‘He’s really not a bad guy. His boss is mean and that’s why he hits me.’

McAllister did wreck lives: Those of his wife and 5 children. He gets that burden. Mrs Peacock – and her husband should he have contributed (cheated himself, beat her, etc) – bear their own crosses.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I despise hypocrites, on the left and right. This guy is a fraud and needs to go.

kevinkristy on April 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM

This crap happens throughout politics. Its a stinking cesspool.

ctmom on April 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I agree entirely. But most folks don’t want to see the truth. My first thought was that his wife is a tramp. Then I wondered if he was contributing to the situation by being a cold lover.

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM

CoolAir on April 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Riser was obviously the state establishment guy and same campaign consultants and Jindal’s. Riser had a 100% conservative rating in the state legislature.

Two Libertarians combined for 0.8% of the vote.

I’m guessing that Riser will run again, but don’t know.

Kermit on April 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM

And the tramp will end up with custody of the child, child support and alimony.

In a fair world the offending party gets the shaft. Welcome to no-fault.

Spartacus on April 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Partner, you are clearly unfamiliar with the way things work in Louisiana.

Two words: Napoleanic Code.

Three more: B**** is toast.

M240H on April 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Husband sounds like a wimpy beta blaming the man. Affair not surprising when married to weak beta.

SirGawain on April 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I do wonder about the leaking of that tape, though.

changer1701 on April 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

My first thought… Setup

jffree1 on April 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Mr. Peacock is a loser who deserves no sympathy from us now. Only a weak man would blame the man who had sex with his wife and not the wife herself. He may as well have told her what she did was OK. That he effectively told his wife this in public is mind-boggling

The fool had better be filing the divorce papers tomorrow. And he had better kick her out of his house today and keep the kid or the fool will soon find himself living in a one room apartment and paying the strumpet alimony for the rest of his life and child support for the next 15 years, because she will inevitably divorce him … on her terms … if he hesitates.

How can a person degrade himself so?

Nomennovum on April 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM

My first thought… Setup

jffree1 on April 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Does it matter?

NotCoach on April 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM

This really isn’t any of our business.
IMHO, whoever leaked the video should be ashamed.
Those poor kids.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Since he has stated, “We’re headed for divorce.” It is obvious he blamed his wife somewhere along the way.

As for McAllister, he should be out! Lecherous behavior by our elected officials – of any party – should not be tolerated. If a person is going to lie and cheat like that on his spouse, imagine what he would do to the average person/voter.

Sterling Holobyte on April 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Just another case of the little head thinking for the big one.

GarandFan on April 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Not often – but it does happen.

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM

This crap happens throughout politics. Its a stinking cesspool.

ctmom on April 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Let’s be honest and admit it happens throughout life. The only difference is it happens more frequently with politics because of the allure of powerful people.

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM

He still claims that McAllister wrecked his life. If he had said, ‘they wrecked my life,’ I’d agree with him more.

Sterling Holobyte on April 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

What happens to McAllister is, ultimately, up to his wife, his children, and his constituents. I did not condone his behaviour in any way nor do I do so now.

Personally, I find the hypocrisy element more troubling, as a citizen, than the infidelity. Obviously, his wife is less concerned with his hypocrisy than the fact that he cheated on her.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM

One day he will be grateful for getting away from a faithless mate.

BL@KBIRD on April 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Wow, yet another Republican using their political position to abuse innocent women. If not for Democrat Defenders, no woman in D.C. would be safe from these predators.

Frank Lib on April 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

he has to answer to his wife and she has to answer to her husband

gerrym51 on April 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Wellll, was it really cheating though?
I mean, the Clintons defined even a BJ as not being real sex and therefore not cheating, so what this guy did couldn’t possibly be considered cheating….. at least by Dem definitions…..

BTW – my redheaded wife made it clear to me that she never bought the Dem definitions either….

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Heath Peacock????

Are you Fu*king kidding me???

ToddPA on April 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM

BTW – my redheaded wife made it very, very, very clear to me that she never bought the Dem definitions either….

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM

FIFY ;)

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Well, that’s La for ya. It won’t put him in jail but most likely won’t get him re-elected.

jake49 on April 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Reminds me of the story about Dick Armey during the whole Clinton/Monica scandal – asked by reporter what he would be doing if he was in Clinton’s shoes.
His answer supposedly was “I’d be looking up from a pool of blood at my wife as she asked “How do I reload this thing?””.

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM

If he were a democrat, he would be the leading nominee for 2016.

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

If he were a Democrat, CNN wouldn’t be interested in the story.

Fallon on April 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

FIFY ;)

GWB on April 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I figured that was fairly well implied by pointing out she’s a redhead.

She also made it very very clear that her reaction would be the same as Mrs Armey’s likely response (see above).

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Well I can see way the media is running with this story… It’s way more important than some Dem. State Congressman selling arms to terrorists…

sandee on April 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Of course, the fallacy of that story is in thinking a Republican woman from Texas wouldn’t already know how to reload a gun….

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Frank Lib on April 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Mary Jo Kophecne was unavailable for comment.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM

How can a person degrade himself so?

Nomennovum on April 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM

[Emphasis added.]

0bamalinskycare makes it the next twenty years.

Gene Hunt on April 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

O/T a tad, but still relevant to some comments posted on this thread. When it comes to most divorces (i.e. no violence, child abuse, drug abuse and so on) there are three sides to the story; (1) Hers, (2) His, and (3) the truth. Don’t ask me how I know!

In cases like this I have learned not to take sides and to just let it be ’cause I ain’t one to judge. Hey Verbs, saw your post and I had about the same reaction.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Wellll, was it really cheating though?

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I would consider it cheating, but if it was ‘only’ kissing, his wife might have another opinion. As I said, his fate is, ultimately, up to his wife, children, and constituents.

I believe that we are all fallible and fall short of perfection AND personal goals. As a voter, however, I would be more bothered, personally, by his hypocrisy (running as a husband, father, and Christian Conservative) than his infidelity, which I don’t excuse. I suppose it is like Bill Clinton and Al Gore. I find Gore to be more despicable than Clinton. Bill Clinton was always a dog and people knew it. St Al Gore of the Cult of Gaia insists that we peons, basically, return to pre-Industrial Age serfdom while the global ‘elite’ fly around on private jets meeting on how to raise our taxes more to pay for a hoax and line their pockets.

I am not ignoring Clinton’s criminality. I am only thinking here about Clinton’s infidelity and Gore’s hypocrisy. The latter is more offencive to me. This, of course, is my personal opinion and your mileage may vary. :-)

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I figured that was fairly well implied by pointing out she’s a redhead.

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I’m decades younger than the wife and her first response would be surprise. Yea, surprised anyone would want an old prune like me. Shoot, she might even give me a medal or something and a send sympathy card to the other woman. Hey, I ain’t kidding this time! Chuckle!!!

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Mr. McAllister should be glad I’m not a voter in his district.

Murf76 on April 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM

How-bout some pictures of this little vixen Mrs. Peacock.

lel2007 on April 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM

This really isn’t any of our business.
IMHO, whoever leaked the video should be ashamed.
Those poor kids.

verbaluce on April 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Too bad you don’t have this sort of empathy for the kids that are still in the womb…

bimmcorp on April 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Leland Yee and Vance McAllister both should be shown the door.

Tasha on April 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Put a fork in him, he’s done.

1) Vitter wasn’t cheating with some other man’s wife. This guy broke up a marriage.

2) If the Duck Dynasty folks are even half what they appear to be (And I believe they are) they will be finding someone else to endorse.)

3) The media isn’t going to let this go. It’ll be national headlines tomorrow.

Prediction: This guy is gone before the end of April.

Baggi on April 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM

If he didn’t screw her, then, at worse, it’s emotional infidelity.

Then again, this was video from December, IIRC. So he’s probably doinked her by now.

What annoys me is this dude’s being contrite and sanctimonious at the same time.

If you really believed you screwed up, then you have to take a sabbatical and get your head right.

Because it’s obviously the power trip and DC high-life that sent these two into fantasyland. Working out of Louisiana, and this never happens.

The husband’s pissed because he’s been cuckolded on the national stage. I mean, he gave this guy money and time and his wife and congressman decided hubby was irrelevant. If you’ve ever met a guy in this scenario, they’re psychologically castrated.

budfox on April 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I do wonder about the leaking of that tape, though.

changer1701 on April 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I have wondered about that little tidbit from the perspective of who would have an interest in perusing the security tapes of a Congressman’s local office. How long have they been looking for dirt? Why did they run directly to the press rather than minding their own business?
Why hasn’t the security company’s name been released? Democrat donor owner, maybe? Invite the fox to the chicken coop, for goodness sake!

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Mark Sanford.

No one really cares anymore. Not because it’s DC, but because there are too many people locally, doing some real funky shite.

budfox on April 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM

You can bet if McAllister was a Democrat, this wouldn’t be news anywhere.

RebeccaH on April 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Not often – but it does happen.

dentarthurdent on April 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM

And funny enough, the female Judges are usually more fair to the men than some men judges, but I agree Family Court and law generally screws over males. Of course, some males as well as some women get exactly what they deserve. Every once in a while, you can see Karma at work.

melle1228 on April 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Uh, no. Your wife did that.

xblade on April 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Frank Lib on April 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Frank Lib on April 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Mary Jo Kophecne was unavailable for comment.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I’m late to the thread . . . . . you beat me to it … : )

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Who cares WHAT he did?

I care about his congressional votes – and they’re a lot more solidly conservative than John Boehner’s – who’s a crying-ass, Nancy Boy with ash-tray breath that would never have an affair – because he’s so unattractive to women.

Vitter – he may not LIVE “family values” – but he damn sure has voted for them more solidly than any GOP establishment eunuch.

What are we trying to do here? Ensure that all politicians have great morals? LMFAO – we’ll have a handle on the $17 trillion in debt LOOOONG before we solve the centuries-old problem of immoral politicians. You’re pi$$ing on a forest fire here. You guys whine and complain about RINO’s – but you set the morality bar so high that no one else except a smooth talking RINO, who knows how to cover his immoral transgressions, can possibly win.

Politicians don’t need to be “moral” … they just need to know the correct voting button to press. That’s what they are – glorified button pressers (and excessively paid ones at that).

I never gave two-shits about Weiner – he can text his d*ck to my Mom if he wants – that’s between him and her. BUT – for all you guys who “live by this sword” and who demanded that Weiner resign – well you’re hypocrites now if you don’t demand this congressman resign. That’s the problem with your zero-tolerance morality tests – they eventually come back to bite you in the ass.

We’re trying to save a nation here – not a guy’s marriage. What this guy does on his personal time – with whoever he wants to do it with – is his business as long as it’s legal. The only thing we should worry about are his actions in Congress to put this nation on the right track. So I ask – where in the hell did this guy “fail” on that score?

And hell yeah – I’ll vote for Vitter for my governor – I’ll even send him a pack of diapers so he can dress up like a baby with his hooker girlfriends – which I heard he likes to do. I DON’T CARE. His wife might – but I’m not responsible for tending to her welfare. My vote goes to the guy who can best perform in the office and DELIVER conservative results.

HondaV65 on April 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Bill Clinton: He’s got potential…

d1carter on April 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Obviously his marriage was ruined because same sex couples were allowed to wed in VT. I blame the gays.

/s

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

/s

MJBrutus on April 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I blame the lax society mores that say that whatever “feels” good has to be right. It isn’t what’s right it’s what’s right now.

melle1228 on April 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

What’s the big deal? He was acting out of love. Right Jeb?

Marcus

How do you know he was a perfectly normal republican candidate? Are you psychic or something? Wasn’t this a guy a “perfectly normal republican candidate” before this happened?

xblade on April 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I believe the Congressman should face the whole Robertson clan . . . . . privately is fine, but he should face them.
It is possible that divorce is the best response to this, but because of the six year old son, my inclination is to tell Mr and Mrs Peacock too COOL OFF, before proceeding.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Baggi on April 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM

No he didn’t – the wife broke up the marriage. Sorry bud, but she has “agency” and is a big enough girl to make her own decisions. If she hadn’t cheated with this guy – she’d have found someone else.

Here’s the sad fact – while men will cheat merely for variety – women cheat because they’re dissatisfied with their marriages. Her husband may think he had a great marriage – but he’s fooling himself. There was something about it that she wasn’t happy with.

And the facts are … male infidelity is often forgiven by the wife while female infidelity often leads to divorce. This is because human beings KNOW that when a woman cheats – there’s a reason that doesn’t have anything to do with evolution – it has to do with dissatisfaction or unhappiness with the marriage.

HondaV65 on April 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM

melle1228

Which is the kind of society MJBrutard supports. That’s why he deflected with the gay card instead of pointing the finger of blame at himself where it belongs.

xblade on April 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Frank Lib on April 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

You’re improving. Still needs a bit more of a subtle approach. Remember,..the rapier, not the club.

butch on April 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Frank Lib on April 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

butch on April 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

OOps. Maybe not. You caught a good one. :)

Mary Jo Kophecne was unavailable for comment.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM

butch on April 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM

HondaV65 on April 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Man, wish I would have known all that back in the day when I was dragging the woman around by her hair carrying that big ole’ club. Who knew all those years she was only smiling at Barney, who was rumored; to have been built like a dinosaur.

Man, my arms were tired all the time for nothing.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 5:25 PM

But but but he was born that way!!11!111!1!!!1!

Nutstuyu on April 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM

The religiously-flavored groveling (“falling short and asking forgiveness”) is pretty unbecoming. When it’s not a matter of law-breaking or abuse of power, I wish that just once a politician who gets busted with his mistress would say “this is my private life and has nothing to do with you”, and then get back to work.

Then again, this fellow sold himself as a “family values” kinda guy, which apparently matters to some voters, so I guess he’s getting what he deserves. But I for one would much rather have a guy in office who has a mistress in every city, doesn’t break the laws he passes or abuse his office, and consistently votes to cut government spending, than someone who’s not only so good to his wife that he never sleeps around but goes so far as to help her brother and cousins to fat government contracts.

I’d rather have an honest philanderer who puts us in the black and keeps to government as small as possible than a twinkle-eyed family man who’ll increase the national debt at every chance in order to get the rest of the country to pay for the boondoggles in his own state that he’ll later use as advertisements in his re-election. (“Look at this awesome bridge here in District 5 that I managed to get the people of Oregon and Montana and North Carolina to pay for. I’m fighting for youuuu!“)

While it’s preferable that a politician not cheat on his wife, it’s much more important for us whether he keeps his pre-election promises to us.

Tzetzes on April 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM

“Ain’t no dame ever been stolen that didn’t wanna be.”
-Damon Runyon

orangemtl on April 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Wonder who sent the video in? Sounds like someone needs to fire their security company…

BadBrad on April 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Although I wouldn’t support McAllister canoodling with anyone else’s wife (other than his own), I’m guessing she doesn’t have a stained blue dress in her closet.

I’m very skeptical about stories like this, but when I read things from a guy name Heath Peacock, wherein almost every other word is “freaking”, I have to wonder what the freak is going on here?

Just reading the column, I’m guessing Heath doesn’t have the brain God gave a peacock. I only have two questions for this 34 yr. old genius:

1. Did you ever think that a freaking guy, at 34 years old could learn some proper English? So you could get a freaking real job, man?

2. How much is George Soros paying you?

ZeusGoose on April 8, 2014 at 5:57 PM

No doubt the Democrats (and the press) will play this for all it is worth. McAllister should step down now to give the public a chance to forget the details, otherwise, this ‘affair’ will be brought up repeatedly around election time, hurting other members of his party. It won’t happen, of course…

zoyclem on April 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

The Ouachita Citizen obtained the video recording from an anonymous source. The video can be seen at http://www.ouachitacitizen.com.

So we don’t know who provided the video. Do we know if they broke the law by filming the video(essentially copying it)? Think about this, as stupid as the guy was, that if it is legal to copy and share surveillance video we have a real problem on our hands.

CW on April 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM

TexasJack on April 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Self-centered women are attracted to powerful men. Self-centered powerful men are attracted to themselves and don’t give a sheet about anyone else.

The Rogue Tomato on April 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Dude. You have been married for six years and have a six year old child and you are shocked at what happened? Jus sayin’ . . .

BigAlSouth on April 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM