Betrayed husband lashes out at cheating Congressman

posted at 2:41 pm on April 8, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

It certainly didn’t take Vance McAllister long to make an impact on Washington, but … not the one he imagined. The Republican political neophyte won a special election for the open House seat in Louisiana’s 5th CD last November, having bagged a Duck Dynasty endorsement and bragged about his outsider cred by claiming that he’d never been to Washington at all. A month later, a security camera at his home-district office caught the married father of five “canoodling” with a staffer, also married — but not to McAllister.  After the video leaked to a local newspaper, McAllister apologized to his constituents and asked for “privacy,” but the woman’s husband isn’t letting it go:

“I’m just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I’m going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare,” Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday. …

Heath Peacock said he didn’t know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

“He has wrecked my life,” Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. “We’re headed for divorce.”

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son. …

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, “There’s no doubt I’ve fallen short and I’m asking for forgiveness. I’m asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve.”

Heath Peacock noted that “he’s apologized to everyone in the world except me.”

McAllister may want his privacy, but he also wants to launch his re-election campaign:

McAllister told the Monroe News-Star newspaper that he’ll go ahead with his re-election campaign “unless there is an outcry for me not to serve, and so far there has been an outpouring of support, not for my actions, but for me to continue to represent the people.”

“If the people are willing to forgive me I’ll keep fighting. If there’s somebody more perfect than me who they support, it’s their will,” he said.

Keep fighting? So far, it looks like McAllister has mostly focused on himself. (On that point, McAllister also vowed not to resign.) However, the incumbent does have a couple of advantages in this situation. First, he represents Louisiana, where the entire state had no problem returning David Vitter to the US Senate despite his involvement in a 2007 prostitution scandal. That went a lot farther than “canoodling,” in a legal sense anyway, and yet Vitter won a second term in 2010. Vitter plans on running for governor in 2015, too.

The second advantage is that voters tend to forgive politicians who get caught canoodling, as long as canoodling is their only abuse of their office. A new Quinnipiac poll shows that while personal affairs can seriously impact approval ratings, voters react more strongly and with less forgiveness over abuses of power:

The independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University presented voters with a theoretical congressman – James Miller – whose “main concern in office is developing policies to help middle-class, working families.” Miller was described as 53, married, with two children.

While he is not identified as Republican or Democrat, 83 percent of voters have a “very favorable” or “somewhat favorable” opinion of him, and 65 percent say they “definitely” or “probably” would vote for his reelection.

Some voters were told that Miller was “unfaithful to his wife with another woman.” Among those voters, only 36 percent have a “very favorable” or “somewhat favorable” opinion, with 58 percent “somewhat unfavorable” or “very unfavorable.” A total of 39 percent say they definitely or probably would vote for him, while 49 percent say they definitely or probably would not vote for him.

Another group of voters were told “Miller created a new, well-paid position on his staff in order to hire an unqualified family member as a favor.” In that group, 22 percent have a very or somewhat favorable view, with 75 percent somewhat or very unfavorable. Only 24 percent definitely or probably would vote for him, with 67 percent who definitely or probably would not.

So McAllister is in the clear, right? Maybe not:

Voters have less tolerance for Miller when hypocrisy is added as a factor in the sex scandal. In a scenario where a Miller priority is “promoting moral values,” and then the extramarital affair is mentioned, overall favorability drops to 25 percent, with 68 percent unfavorable. Only 28 percent say they are likely to vote for him, down from 39 percent in the neutral or non-hypocritical scenario.

I’m guessing that the brief interregnum between election and scandal — and the scandal and the next re-election effort — will make a difference, too. Vitter had been in office for more than two years before the DC Madam case broke into the open  (and had served in the House for three terms before his Senate term), and he had another two-plus years before having to fight for his seat.  That allowed Vitter to put the scandal far enough in the rear-view mirror to cruise to a 57/38 victory over Democrat Charlie Melancon. McAllister may not find the timing of this scandal propitious, even if it’s not quite as tawdry as Vitter’s.

Don’t be surprised to see Republicans looking for better options in LA-05, but … since it’s Louisiana, don’t be surprised if McAllister survives, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If you are in LA and he’s your rep, get HIM OUT OF THERE.

SarahW on April 8, 2014 at 6:27 PM

My first thought… Setup

jffree1 on April 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Could be. It wouldn’t change anything though. HE took the “bribe”.
When looking at that video..it seems like it moves ever so slightly, like it was possibly hand held.

Mimzey on April 8, 2014 at 6:28 PM

“I’m just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man,” Heath Peacock declared.

Good grief, is that a real quote from a real adult? Did he just get back from an Atari convention?!

And pedophiles try to assure us there’s nothing wrong with adults hooking up with adolescents!

Sorry for you getting jammed like that, Heath. You have my sympathy. However, as you (rightly) cast blame upon McAllister, feel free to foist a little on your oh-so-victimized lovely bride, too.

Or would that simply be another battle in that dirty little war on women I’m always hearing about?

Dion on April 8, 2014 at 6:52 PM

No he didn’t – the wife broke up the marriage. Sorry bud, but she has “agency” and is a big enough girl to make her own decisions. If she hadn’t cheated with this guy – she’d have found someone else.

Here’s the sad fact – while men will cheat merely for variety – women cheat because they’re dissatisfied with their marriages. Her husband may think he had a great marriage – but he’s fooling himself. There was something about it that she wasn’t happy with.

And the facts are … male infidelity is often forgiven by the wife while female infidelity often leads to divorce. This is because human beings KNOW that when a woman cheats – there’s a reason that doesn’t have anything to do with evolution – it has to do with dissatisfaction or unhappiness with the marriage.

HondaV65 on April 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM

So why did mitch daniels take his wife back after she stepped out on him?

uatu1878 on April 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I certainly learned something as a result of this.

ca·noo·dle
kəˈno͞odl/
verbinformal
gerund or present participle: canoodling
kiss and cuddle amorously.
“she was caught canoodling with her boyfriend”

Thanks.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I certainly learned something as a result of this.

ca·noo·dle
kəˈno͞odl/
verbinformal
gerund or present participle: canoodling
kiss and cuddle amorously.
“she was caught canoodling with her boyfriend”

Thanks.

justltl on April 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I just thought it meant the canoe was happy being paddled. Shows you what I know.

HonestLib on April 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM

He didn’t wreck your life. Most men will grab an easy piece if they can get it. (apologies to the women on the thread)

cimbri on April 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I’m with you on this one.

Cindy Munford on April 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM

cimbri on April 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM

You neanderthal “chauvinist PIG”, you . . . : )

listens2glenn on April 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM

If his wife can’t trust him, how can anyone else.

GT on April 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

…let him keep his job until the next election…just cut his dick off!

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Dude, just fall on your political sword already.

Othniel on April 8, 2014 at 8:56 PM

If his wife can’t trust him, how can anyone else.
GT on April 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

You see, Bill Clinton taught us that character doesn’t matter anymore. Those of us who want a leader with character are far in the minority. The majority will accept any reprobate as long as he brings the bacon home and punishes the other side.

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Dude, just fall on your political sword already.

Othniel on April 8, 2014 at 8:56 PM

He would, but his staffer is on it apparently…

Abiss on April 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Nothing the voters do will surprise me. See Alan Grayson. I’ll bet his campaign will be without the DD endorsement this time around.

Kissmygrits on April 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM

If his wife can’t trust him, how can anyone else.
GT on April 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Murphy9 on April 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM

And Republican politicians won’t even punish the other side. GOP voters are worse than whores. At least whores get a nice pile of cash out of the anal rogering.

Darth Executor on April 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Whatcha call bad optics.

Sherman1864 on April 9, 2014 at 7:51 AM

The aggreived husband needs to stop crying like a pu*sy and sue the f–ker for alienation of affection. Or challenge him to a duel… Old South Style.

SAMinVA on April 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM

cimbri on April 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Oh, bull. The CONgressman knowingly “canoodled” or whatnot with a married woman who worked “under” him. Now from the husband’s perspective I’d place most of the blame on his wife but its just a bit understandable why the guy has a grudge with the CONgressman.

As for Mr. Peacock (now there is an ironic name), he should shut up, get a good lawyer, burn the witch, DNA test his kid, and move on with life.

oryguncon on April 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM

The guy is a saint compared to the state senator from San Francisco.

Kenosha Kid on April 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Just more proof that every politician is corrupt, and without morals. I am changing my registration from Republican. I have no trust for either side.

F_This on April 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Mrs. McAllister: I want you to shoot her in the head and him in the privates.
Hired sniper: Hey, in that case it looks like I can get them both with one shot…

dentarthurdent on April 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Dude, just fall on your political sword already.

Othniel on April 8, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Okay, yes.

He would, but his staffer is on it apparently…

Abiss on April 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Oh now it’s startin’ to sound glamorous for teh gheys. What language.

Nape-wa-ste on April 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM

If someone lies in their personal life, they will certainly lie in their public life.

If I were in Louisiana, there’s no way this guy would get my vote.

Hopefully some truly ethical Republican runs for office there.

unclesmrgol on April 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM

F_This on April 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Seriously? This guy’s transgression is proof that “every politician is corrupt and without morals?”

And the discovery that there are leches in each party is sufficient to cause one to change one’s party registration? Was anyone really registering by party on the belief that that party contained no immoral jerks?

On the other issue — the reaction of the husband — give the guy a break already. Yes, his wife is the one who betrayed him, but this is a big thing to deal with. Many a cuckolded spouse lashes out first at the person with whom the affair was conducted. It’s not the balanced assessment, but it’s not easy to be perfectly composed in that situation.

Chuckles3 on April 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Very true, but I really dislike when people try to blame – entirely – someone or something else.

Resist We Much on April 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I agree entirely. But most folks don’t want to see the truth. My first thought was that his wife is a tramp. Then I wondered if he was contributing to the situation by being a cold lover.

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM

He may have been a cold lover but the bottom line is that the Rep. and the wife broke the vows they freely made to their spouses and they are the ones to blame, no others. The reasons for the infidelity are excuses, nothing more. If she or the Rep. wanted to “play the field” then get a divorce.

Bubba Redneck on April 10, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Betrayed husband lashes out at cheating Congressman

It takes two to tango, Mr. Peacock. Your wife was a willing dance partner.

That said, this Congressman clown should step down, then run out of town.

Standards.