UPS cans 250 employees for illegal strike

posted at 12:31 pm on April 6, 2014 by Dustin Siggins

Thirty-plus years after Reagan fired the air traffic controllers, UPS is terminating the employment of 250 workers for illegally striking. From the New York Daily News:

UPS is firing 250 Queens, N.Y., drivers for walking off the job during a 90-minute protest in February.

The company dismissed 20 of the workers after their shifts Monday and issued notices of termination to another 230 employees, notifying them that they will be fired once the company has trained their replacements, UPS spokesman Steve Gaut told Business Insider.

The strikers, who Daily Kos says make up about half of the Queens-area driving fleet, claim they were supporting a worker who had been fired. However, Think Progress found the union contract, which is pretty specific as to how strikes and other disruptions can occur:

No steward shall have the authority to call a strike, cause a slowdown, or take any other action which would interrupt the Company’s business, except as such action may be authorized by the union. The Company recognizes this limitation upon the authority of the Steward.

Think Progress says the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) has made it clear that “all workers, both unionized and non-unionized, are supposed to be able to strike without being fired,” and Wal-Mart was prosecuted by the NLRB last year for violating this rule. However, the NLRB’s language is, as is typical for bureaucrat-ese, nearly impossible to effectively navigate. But this section stood out to me (admittedly, a layperson when it comes to labor law):

Strikes unlawful because of timing—Effect of no-strike contract. A strike that violates a no-strike provision of a contract is not protected by the Act, and the striking employees can be discharged or otherwise disciplined, unless the strike is called to protest certain kinds of unfair labor practices committed by the employer. It should be noted that not all refusals to work are considered strikes and thus violations of no-strike provisions. A walkout because of conditions abnormally dangerous to health, such as a defective ventilation system in a spray-painting shop, has been held not to violate a no-strike provision.

But the company is not backing down. UPS told Huffington Post through a spokesman that “employee misconduct” would not be tolerated, given its impact on customers:

“We simply cannot allow employee misconduct that jeopardizes our ability to reliably serve our customers and maintain order in our delivery operations,” UPS spokesperson Steve Gaut wrote in an email to HuffPost. “For this reason, the company is releasing employees involved in the work stoppage.”

And when union benefactors in the city’s political system started getting into a tizzy, UPS said they could take their business elsewhere:

“UPS appreciates its business with the New York public offices,” Gaut said. “Ultimately if that business is reduced or eliminated, the result will be reduced need for UPS employees to serve the pick-up and delivery requirements of City offices, potentially impacting the livelihoods of the many local UPS employees that did not join in the illegal work stoppage.”

Good for UPS for standing up for what should be standard work requirements: Follow your contract, work hard, or get fired. Disrupting the work force in this way is not the appropriate way to handle most internal issues, unless you are willing and able to deal with the consequences of your actions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Consider me spanked.

cozmo on April 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Not at all. I just want them to know, and for us to have clarity.

They are always leftist thugs. Period.

We are the true liberals, in the real sense of the word.

Schadenfreude on April 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

In other news, the girl that drove the subway car up the stairs at O’Hare Airport last month got a new job.

JetBlast on April 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Would that the federal government had the cajones that UPS does.

HiJack on April 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM

That would be difficult. UPS has a tremendous number of boxes.

J.S.K. on April 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Um, I happen to like curling.

The only olympic sport I watch.

Lanceman on April 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Curling is fine, just the BBC that wore me out. There is the Olympics (which happens in the summer) and the Winter Olympics which is not the Olympics. Chuckle!

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 3:03 PM

UPS doesn’t mess around.

Why do you think their trucks are open-air with no air conditioning? They don’t want drivers getting too comfortable sitting in the truck, they want them moving.

If you took film in a UPS facility and showed it to government employees, the level of activity would give them all heart attacks.

Adjoran on April 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Technically, legally, the 90 minute work stoppage is not strike. About a 99.99% chance these workers get their jobs. And my guess that UPS knows that and that this is a disciplinary measure vs. a termination. The fired employees will be out of work while this gets settled, they will get back pay, but since about 85% of people that work, work paycheck to paycheck, it is a tough sanction.

georgealbert on April 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM

georgealbert on April 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM

So the negative of having upset 250 employees is offset by what gain? I know I am dense and am missing something.

Finally….”Technically, legally, the 90 minute work stoppage is not strike”…..have you read their contract, as that is the only way to know for sure. Just wondering.

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM

And they correctly wonder why desperate Democrats falsely label them as anti working man and the party of only the rich and fortunate.

i_voted_for_a_Cult_Leader on April 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Fixed.

Last time I checked, the majority of the richest members of Congress were Democrats. 70%, to be exact.

F-

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Republicans: Party of big business and CEOs.

i_voted_for_a_Cult_Leader on April 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, you’re right. Democrat-owned Big Businesses like Google and Apple simply do not exist on your 9-ringed world, they only exist here on Planet Earth.

“MY BRAIN HURTS!”

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

“willing and able?” to
“deal with the consequences?” and
“union shop?”

I’m sooooo confused – these words don’t go together, do they?

DublOh7 on April 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Well, if they violated the contract that their union agreed to, then they must be willing to suffer any consequences for doing so.

On the other hand, don’t like to hear about anyone losing their jobs and unless they find new jobs lickety split then they’re going to add to the financial burdens of the state/taxpayer.

Being happy that people lose their jobs is what I thought Obummer and his crew were all about…

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Conservatives happy when the working man gets fired.

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM

If they were ‘working’, they wouldn’t have been fired, dumbass.

slickwillie2001 on April 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Double D….you bring up a good point. If you look at the CEO’s of the Top 500 companies….around the same number (70%) are liberal. My personal experience is that small business is about 80% conservative and any business with a CEO/MBA, trends liberal.

Just my personal experience.

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Your response is a good one to consider. Thanks.

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I don’t like to see people lose their jobs either.

That being said, there are probably thousands of people in the immediate vicinity that may save their families by having one of those jobs.

In this economy, you cannot spit on your contract of employment and expect no consequences.

cozmo on April 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM

When you collectivize your rights to a group and put that group in charge of negotiating your contract then you lose the right to act independently of that group in the situations covered by the contract.

I bet none of these people thought of asking the company if there was any way they could protest the event without losing their jobs. Like a letter signed by the people involved and then wearing an armband or some other identifier. A strike should be the last resort, not a first, particularly after you have collectivized and signed away your independent right to strike.

ajacksonian on April 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Just my personal experience.

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM

That’s remarkable that the percentages are the same.

If the evil Koch Brothers didn’t exist, the Left would have to make them up. After all, they can’t go after Halliburton any more!

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

cozmo on April 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Yeah, I pretty much said that in my first sentence of my post. Furthermore, it doesn’t matter what kind of economy it is, a contract is a contract and should be honored.

Now, in real life the consequences for breach of contract come down to how many lawyers, friends in high places, and money you have.

For example, billionaire J.R. Simplot decades ago lost on his end of shorting potato futures contracts and pretty much told those who were demanding their money to go F themselves…and basically got away with it (a few fines in the thousands and a $million + judgment against him-big deal-and that took years).

Basically I think that if you’re that miserable in a job, do something else including living out of your car if you have to. And if you operate a business and don’t agree with union demands, sell and retire and do something else.

If a contract is not mutually beneficial to both parties, and both parties don’t abide by the terms of that contract, then obviously they are worthless.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Years ago with way too much time on my hand I “googled” where the CEO’s of the Fortune 500 attended college. No surprise where they went and hats off to those that can attend top tier schools. Now, those top tier schools trended liberal and again no surprise. But, what startled me was that they all went to school in a +-ten year period and many had the same college professors. Then I realized it worked the same for many politicians.

Just my own red neck research, but I was sad to see so many smart folks being taught by so few. I have had literally 100’s of folks to help me through life and I bet not one other person on site has run into one. But, top CEO’s and politicians are taught by a small group of teachers. Not good.

Again, this was just my own research and conclusions.

Still waiting on being graded on a curve. Chuckle!

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Keep regurgitating. GIGO. Pathetic.

CW on April 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Just my own red neck research, . . .

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

One day, you must enlighten me!

BigAlSouth on April 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Again, this was just my own research and conclusions.

Still waiting on being graded on a curve. Chuckle!

HonestLib on April 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

The part I bolded gets a solid A+

We are where we are today because of the successful Leftist infiltration of the education systems at all levels. It’s Settled Science.

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Good. The wont have much trouble filling the job positions. Bravo to UPS

iam7545 on April 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Get back to work! You’re not being paid to realize your dreams.

GWB on April 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Any democrat voter anywhere needs to be fired and placed on a list under illegal immigrants.

In other words, give the illegals first choice.

Lanceman on April 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Heh. Great to hear. Give the other 250 a raise just to rub salt in the wound. Then put really good cameras in all your trucks to help the cops when your fired union POS/mobster drivers start attacking their replacements, which you can count on.

Jaibones on April 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Being happy that people lose their jobs is what the far right conservatives/ 99% of posters here are all about. Outside of stating the case for why workers should open carry on office property, you will NEVER see any article on this website defending the American worker against an employer. It’s always the other way around. The goal is to constantly push out of touch narratives that only benefits the employer and never the employee.

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Won’t take long to fill those openings. Every one of us is just one step away from being unemployed. And we can all be replaced. I feel bad for anyone losing their job these days, but this was avoidable.

scalleywag on April 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Out of curiosity, does the comment box that you type your posts in belong to you or to Hotair?

rogerb on April 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Sorry, but that’s just ludicrous. I suppose you’d like to try and run a company where people depend on deliveries for everything from diapers and formula to ink for their printers and your employees felt free to go on strike without a moment’s notice? Get real, we live in a fast paced world where millions of people are waiting for supplies and if that company can’t deliver them, they’ll find someone else who can. CEOs don’t have time, and shouldn’t have to deal with walkouts.

scalleywag on April 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

If this is actually what most liberals believe about conservatives, it speaks volumes about your delusions and innate insanity.

Not once in my life have I ever witnessed Conservatives of any stripe happy when people lose jobs. You’re an absolute nutjob if you subscribe to this type of brainwashing. This is one of the things that dumbfounds Conservatives because it has ho basis in reality and yet Liberals believe this kind of crap.

There are plenty of facts to back up just the opposite – that Liberals are actually cool with people not working. Just recently Al Sharpton said the Gov’t needs to confiscate everyone’s pension to pay for Gov’t benefits. If all able people were working and saving for their retirement, most Gov’t benefits would be unnecessary.

Stop trying to brand Conservatives with you own guilt-ridden delusions. You come off as nothing more than a trite liar.

UnstChem on April 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM

“If you’re working here and in the middle of the day you just stopped and said, ‘You know what? I want to get something, but I don’t know – I don’t know exactly what I’m going to get, but I’m just going to stop working until I get something,’” Obama began. “And I’m going to shut down the whole plant until I get something…”

“You’re fired,” an audience member volunteered.

“You’d get fired,” Obama agreed. “Right?”

J_Crater on April 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM

“You’re fired,” an audience member volunteered.

“You’d get fired,” Obama agreed. “Right?”

J_Crater on April 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Well sure, but that’s different, right i_am_liberal?

rogerb on April 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

you walk off the job you are considered to have quit.
they deserved to get fired.
nobody forced them to walk off, they all made a decision to do so. why is it the employers responsibility to protect them from their decisions?
grow up.

dmacleo on April 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Way to stand up to those economy, company, killing thugs known as the union. F**k all of them. It is because of their mafia tactics that there are no jobs in America, along with government regulations and taxes.

F_This on April 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Good for UPS. People have developed a ‘bite the hand that feed you’ attitude & believe that bad behavior shouldn’t have consequences

RdLake on April 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM

JetBlast on April 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Let me guess: parking lot attendant.

BillH on April 7, 2014 at 12:25 AM

ajacksonian on April 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Oh, I’ll bet that in that room there was enough collective intelligence to turn on a 35W bulb and ask that basic question. The snag was when they got their answer back. They decided they didn’t like the answer, so they went with the strike anyway. I would be willing to bet these real men- and women- of genius were warned to not do this. Hell, management prolly told them 5 minutes into their tantrum to get back to work or else.

In an economy like this, one that has persisted for several years now, this is not the time to be letting your freak flag fly. 250 idiots are now going to find out that a job like theirs with the wages and benefits they got at UPS are damn near impossible to secure. In short, I have zero sympathy for these people. None.

BillH on April 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Being happy that people lose their jobs…

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

When I throw something in the trash, I don’t tell people I lost it. Those people threw away their jobs, and
I’m happy that there are now 250 job openings for people who desperately need jobs in the obama economy.

Ronnie on April 7, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Let me guess: parking lot attendant.

BillH on April 7, 2014 at 12:25 AM

You missed the earlier link. Here

Better video this time.

JetBlast on April 7, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Rock on, UPS.

talkingpoints on April 7, 2014 at 7:38 AM

They signed an agreement. The agreement specified they had no right to go on strike. They violated the contract. They got fired. As Ronnie said above, they did not LOSE their jobs – they threw them away. No one ‘did them dirty’ or did them an ‘injustice’. They learned a valuable lesson – while our elected politicians can do whatever they want to do – violating both Constitution and law to do so – without ever being punished, the average Americans are NOT those politicians. Welcome to the REAL WORLD where actions have consequences and where people are held accountable for their actions.

easyt65 on April 7, 2014 at 8:38 AM

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Not really, chuckles. What we’re enjoying is watching people who thought they could intimidate someone (which is what strikes are intended to do – intimidate the company into acting according to the strikers’ wishes; that sounds an awful lot like extortion to me) get thumped, but good.

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

You know why we don’t see too many of those? Because American workers have it pretty dang good. I will also declare that your statement is a falsehood. Just for sh_ts and giggles, check out the stories about Eich, and almost any article posted about people being told they can’t wear/display crosses/pigs/flags/whatnot in their place of work.

GWB on April 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM

i_voted_for_a_Cult_Leader on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Delusion 101.

Never change.

Del Dolemonte on April 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM

You missed the earlier link. Here

Better video this time.

JetBlast on April 7, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Oh, yes, I didn’t see that link. That’s funny in context. Thanks.

BillH on April 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

i_am_liberal on April 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

rogerb on April 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Oh, no, did they lock this thread already, i_am_liberal?

Wait, how did I just post that?

rogerb on April 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM

You’ve GOT to admire UPS:

A large organization which understands exactly what its purpose and where its value comes from.

landlines on April 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM

best news of the day so far

matthew8787 on April 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM