Alison Lundergan Grimes: Fact or fantasy?

posted at 2:31 pm on April 5, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

In the midst of a season which finds Republicans knuckling down and focusing on anywhere from six to ten Senate seats which they may be able to flip this fall, it’s worth remembering that the Democrats are not asleep at the wheel. They have their eyes on holding on to their slim Senate majority by their fingernails with one race in particular whetting their appetites… and it’s none other than the Senate Majority Minority Leader’s. But is Mitch McConnell actually in danger? There’s reason for him to be concerned, no doubt, but Matt Lewis has been doing some digging and finds that Democrat hopeful Alison Lundergan Grimes may not be quite as fearsome as the media portrays her.

On paper, Alison Lundergan Grimes was the perfect recruit to run against Sen. Mitch McConnell. McConnell’s negatives are high, and Grimes is seen as an attractive (just me, or does she resemble Molly Parker?) young Secretary of State – with potential cultural crossover appeal in the “Bluegrass State.” And it also doesn’t hurt that she happens to be the daughter of former Kentucky Democratic Party Chairman (and Bill Clinton pal) Jerry Lundergan, either.

And indeed, the race is close. But that only belies the fact that Grimes has, thus far, proven to be a mediocre candidate, running a mediocre campaign. And this suggests that McConnell might just be able to survive.

Matt checks in on reporter Sam Youngman, who has some lengthy experience both inside the beltway and back home in the Bluegrass State. With an insider’s view, he seems to feel that Grimes’ organization leaves a lot to be desired.

“For a long time before I moved home,” Youngman said, “I was reading in a number of publications about what a formidable campaign it was. And from what I’ve seen so far…from what I’ve seen on the ground, at least, that doesn’t track. It’s a campaign that has struggled consistently to find its footing.”

“My own personal feeling is that they have missed a series of opportunities to define her in the minds of Kentucky voters,” he continued, “because, despite winning statewide office in 2011, she’s still not that well known — which, as you well know, is a danger zone for a first-time candidate.”

This isn’t some revelation of a newly discovered scandal or some other definitive, disqualifying historical note. Rather, it’s a sense among observers that Grimes has surrounded herself with some amateurs – or at least relatively green politicos – who don’t seem to be on top of what’s needed to bring a high profile race like this one over the finish line. And as much as we’d like to think that elections are all about the pure qualities of the candidates and the better angels of the voters, campaign skills matter. The beltway is littered with the virtual bodies of many otherwise fine candidates who may have served their constituents well, but simply weren’t prepared for the trench warfare of modern politics on the trail.

McConnell is in a tough fight, no matter how unskilled his opponents may prove to be, but it’s not something he hasn’t seen before. Mitch won his last three races in 96, 2002 and 2008 in pretty much of a cakewalk, but a look deeper into history shows that he didn’t come from a position of having a glass jaw. In his first election to the Senate in 1984, McConnell had to beat a two term incumbent Democrat, and they had to stay up late on election day to find that he had won by only 5,200 votes out of more than 1.8 million. His first fight to defend the seat in 1990 against a former mayor of Louisville wasn’t much easier, resulting in a victory margin of 4.5%, still inside the margins of some election day polls.

He may need to draw on that experience to win this one if Grimes plays her cards well. The race is currently locked up, with a couple of polls even showing Grimes holding on to a fractional lead. Also, McConnel has become very unpopular with a lot of conservatives over the last year or two (with evidence of that showing up in the Hot Air comments section on a regular basis), so turning out the base may not be a given. But there’s a long way to go still, and plenty of time for mistakes to be made by Grimes. Over the summer we may find out whether Youngman’s analysis proves prescient and the demands of the campaign lead to the challenger’s team dropping the ball.

UPDATE: (Jazz) Ooops. McConnell isn’t the Majority Leader … yet. Corrected above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The guy running against Mr. Frog tracks as ‘well’ as Ted Cruz did at this time in Texas.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Before all the TruConz & TEA Party Purists chime in, let me say, in a choice between Grimes and McConnell, the choice is clear….a goof-ball like Hondav65 or Pumice advocate for Grimes over McConnell. McConnell loses, well Harry Reid gets ONE MORE VOTE! Grimes isn’t going to be any different than Mancini, or McCain… in that for 4 years she’ll vote the Democratic Liberal Reid Party line…. and only move to “moderate” come 2014 & election time. So, if you like how Harry Reid has run things so far, then by all means pull for, vote for, send money to Allison Lundergan-Grimes.

This isn’t Rocket Science. You can pull for, vote for, send money to Matt Bevan all you want, but come November, you’d better be pulling for McConnell, assuming he’s in the General Election. Because anything else leaves you noiseless, having cut it off to spite yourselves, and down one Republican.

And News Flash, there’s NO “Conservative Party” and not likely to be one anytime soon, your options are Republican/Democrat. So you’ve seen Pelosi/Reid at work, if you’d prefer that to McConnell, I’d say you’re an idiot or at least so blinded by fury or ideology that you can’t see straight.

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

She was the only Democrat they could put forward that didn’t vote for ObamaCare.

Big question…A reporter needs to ask her if she would have voted for it?

Sabercat2 on April 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Perhaps us no good tea party folks should sandbag McConnell and give the establishment a taste of their own medicine by voting for the D. It might be risk but well worth it. The old guard needs to learn a lesson.

stevo on April 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM

and it’s none other than the Senate Majority Leader’s. But is Mitch McConnell actually in danger?

Isn’t he the Minority Leader? Isn’t Harry Reid the Majority Leader?

Theophile on April 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I would rather he go out in the primary, but I am happy to see him go either way.

stevo on April 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I’d say stay home or vote 3rd party. Let them know the CONSERVATIVE vote is not owned, it is earned. You want my vote, then you DO the things I want done. If you cannot do that, then you do not represent me and do not EARN my vote.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM

bevin is beating her in multiple polls when McConnell is only tied or losing.

McConnell should do the right thing and bow out since bevin is the candidate who can win, as the establishment gop likes to say.

the best thing for the party and the country is for McConnell to lose, no matter who it is to. we are better off having a known enemy than a snake in the grass.

for years now I would have rather had a democrat beat McCain in az, so that maybe the gop might give us a real choice for a change. there is no reason in conservative states like Kentucky or Arizona we should be stuck with L.I.A.R. (Liberal-In-Actions-Republican) politicians.

done with lesser of two evils candidates for good. and anybody who supports amnesty, or any party that gives us amnesty….. you hear that gop/rnc?

and to be perfectly clear, if it is not repatriation, it is amnesty

Garyinaz66 on April 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I’m not too concerned. McConnell will win. I think Nunn in GA has a better chance of winning for Dems than Grimes in KY.

GOPRanknFile on April 5, 2014 at 2:56 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

He has said that conservatives will be crushed by him. He does not represent conservatives. He does not earn the votes.
You cannot get conservative end results by rewarding regressive activity. At some point the punishment for failure to represent must be handed out.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I like how this article doesn’t mention Bevin at all. Because he’s a non-factor at this point.

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

only april 5 and people already telling how we must vote..just like before romney lost.

dmacleo on April 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Heh, he’s always been a non-factor.

GOPRanknFile on April 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Fantasy. IMHO, a sizable percentage of Bevin’s supporters are telling pollsters that they will vote for Grimes. Many of these may not ultimately vote for McConnell, but I strongly doubt they will actually vote for Grimes either.

Texastoast on April 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Thanks for the same old condescending lecture of loserdom — “settle or else.” I’m leaning toward “or else.”

As Richard Vigurie recently wrote, “The Boehners, McConnells, and Karl Roves of the GOP are the enemy. They need to be opposed with all the commitment conservatives use to oppose liberals because they are the enablers of the radical progressives…”

The fear-based argument of “settle or else” does nothing but perpetuate the slow loss of the oxygen of freedom in our country.

Doug Ross’s Journal currently has a story of the GOP’s efforts to kill conservatism that will turn your stomach: Eric Cantor is attempting to systematically destroy all conservative voices in Virginia through something called “slating.” Don’t think these people hate and fear you as much as the Left does? A huge mistake not to believe it.

rrpjr on April 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Great plan Astonerii, vote out McConnell & vote in another Harry Reid, vote… this is the Patented Win by Losing Strategy I hear about on the Limbaugh Show, supported by angry TruConz….

We’re MUCH better off with Grimes voting the Reid Line than McConnell.

Look pull for Bevin if you want, but come November if you can’t see a difference between McConnell & Reid, I can’t help you….

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

You do the same if Bevan wins, contrary to Murkowsky, the scumhag, the swine in UT, who’s still fighting Lee, and the despicable IN former sen. who’s now openly supporting the D in GA. I hope they all go to Hell, the traitors.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Isn’t he the Minority Leader? Isn’t Harry Reid the Majority Leader?

Theophile on April 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I wrote that from my time machine, set for January of next year. But a fair cop. Fixed. ;-)

Jazz Shaw on April 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

rrpjr, Richard Viguerie..say isn’t he a FORMER GOP House member? You know as in, Has No Vote on Public Policy? As in makes his money by mailing lists of “Conservatives?”. Yeah, Viguerie is the guy to listen to, lost hi sown seat, makes his money drumming up conservatives….

Like I said, in May vote or pull for Bevin all you want… but in November I’d suggest you pull for McConnell, because your choices are more Harry Reid or McConnell…. now if you think Reid is the best man to lead the Senate, that’s fine otherwise; I’d say pull the knife away from your nose & wise up.

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

What’s the difference between her and McConnell? Can anyone tell me?

SouthernGent on April 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Funny how we always hear the same thing from so-called conservatives at election time when their RINO candidates face primary challengers. We heard the same crap in Texas in the Dewhurst/Cruz battle.

Johnny Alamo on April 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Jazz Shaw on April 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Good – psyche the D-rats out.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Jazz Shaw on April 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Now the D-rats will hate you as much as they hate Nate Silver.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:09 PM

What’s the difference between her and McConnell? Can anyone tell me?

SouthernGent on April 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

She’s a scumhag.

He’s a scumbag.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Alison Lundergan Grimes

At least Ashley Judd would have been something attractive to look at. Even if she is an idiot.

Mr. Youngman may be right but that begs the question why McConnell is not taking this election seriously. Missed opportunities are unacceptable.

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Well Schadenfreude in November, in the unlikely event Bevin is on the ballot, he’s got my vote. He’s got my vote in May…. but he isn’t going to beat McConnell, bet you $20.

So in a choice between Grimes & McConnell, yeah I’m voting for the Republican, yeah not the Conservative, I acknowledge that. But in November the choice won’t be between the Conservative and the liberal, it will be between the Liberal & the Republican….& I know which one I prefer.

Oh rrpjr, it’s not condescending to tell you the truth… there’s NO “Conservative Party”… so your choices are note vote, throw your vote away on the Natural Law/Constitutional Party or vote D- or R-….and if there WERE a Conservative Party it would be a disaster… just look at the raft of leftist parties… Socialist Workers, Communist, Working Families, Green etc. etc. They all spend their time debating who’s more leftist and correct & have no say in governance… and looking at these boards the same thing would happen to any Conservative Party, it would be raven between Paul-bots and Astonerii….& achieve as much as the leftists have.

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM

The Republican party is BROKEN. It does not function. It has no purpose. It needs to be fixed. You cannot fix it when you have the broken parts still in the way and actively destroying any fixes you do make.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Don’t live in Kentucky. But hope he loses. Don’t care about the “or else” threats anymore. These people must go. McConnell is a useless bucket of spit at best and an enabler at worst.

rrpjr on April 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM

The GOP is broken & you need to fix it…. please look at the Democratic Party pre-1968…it got “fixed” too…. put some work into fixing it, otherwise you’ll just end up like Abbie Hoffman.

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM

OT – I’d like to know who the agent was, why did this, who threw under the bus…Morell/Hillary related?

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I would vote for McConnell over Grimes if it came down to it, just as I might vote for one Dem. over another, if I lived in a blue state. That said, the important time is NOW when you have a real choice. I heard Bevin on Levin’s show Friday, and he was FANTASTIC! I will be sending money from Fla., because ALL races are national races.

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM

So you don’t live in Kay. So you’ll not mind if Grimes continues the War on Coal? Thanx….you’ll be thankful when Grimes supports a continued ban on Natural Gas Exports too or opposes the Keystone, or votes for Obama’s SCOTUS nominees?

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Nothin’ wrong with that. Just recall, they said the same about Cruz, at this time.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM

So I guess that Judd bimbo is out of the question??

BigWyo on April 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM

By the way, this vaunted “senate takeover” is completely meaningless. They’ll do nothing with the senate. A McConnell led senate will do nothing. They’ll sit on it until 2016, playing defense. I’d rather it remains in democrat hands until 2016 when we can sweep with a conservative president who’ll whip something into shape.

rrpjr on April 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Indeed, send McConnell the strongest message about what a weasel he can be/is.

I wish all the old-timers s/b replaced, alas.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Oh, and also, …SCREW YOU Sen.(we’ll take out the tea party)McConnell!!!ELEVENTY11!!!

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Alison Lundergan Grimes

Sorry, but the whole two last names thing really grinds my gears.
But that’s just me.

BigWyo on April 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

rrpjr, well then I’m voting the straight DEMOCRITIC ticket then…after all the Republican controlling the Senate is the same as the Democrat’s..OK you’re an idiot. Sorry about you failing High Scholl Civics & not having any patience… it’s going to take years to not only turn the Senate over to Republicans, but to replace the Republicans with Republican CONSERVATIVES. So, be bitter & not vote or throw your vote away, because reality doesn’t conform to yurt desire…. Plus you arrogant puts, has it occurred to you that many of the Republicans you don’t like are supported by their constituents? In your arrogant haste you ASSUME everyone thinks like you do… News Flash we don’t…& some the people you think of as “scumbags” may be thought of as local heroes….

Bottom-line: it took from 1972 until about 2006 to run off all the Blue Dog Democrat’s… you’d better be prepared to struggle just as long to get rid of the GOP(E) senators you don’t like…. and if you can’ see this as the truth I really cannot help you.

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Conservatives have got to start thinking long term.I a sick of the BS positedby squishy RINOS and gelded coservaives that we just have to vote for McConnell should he win the primary.No we don’t,and especially given the likelihood the GOP is going to win back the Senate without MConnell’s seat.The GOP needs to be sent a clear message, you want our votes you do our bidding.I you crap on us like McConnell you go down in flames.If we keep playing nice with these moderates we will be complicit with them as they aid and abet the socialist pigs trying to destroy America.

redware on April 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM

That and this make for some interesting reading.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I’m sorry, but I disagree with you on this one. There might have been a few people who doubted Cruz, but Cruz was seen as a superstar, and almost everyone I knew that as Cruz got more exposure, the better his chances would be of winning because he has that type of talent. I would vote for McConnell over Bevin in this particular race if I had a vote, but in that Cruz-Dewhurst race, I was with Cruz all the way, and I’m darn proud of my decision. He has a stellar resume, he’s brilliant, he didn’t have any baggage and no matter who won the primary, they were going to win the general election.

From what I’ve seen of Bevin, he doesn’t have nearly the talent that Cruz does, and the Dems have a better shot of taking the KY Senate seat than they did of taking the TX Senate seat.

GOPRanknFile on April 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM

rrpjr on April 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Even Levin doesn’t think we should go that far but I agree, they will use Obama’s veto pen as a lack of improvement. But darned if I wouldn’t make sure he gets writer’s cramp.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM

We already played the keep voting for bad candidates in the General election thing since around 1998. 16 years worth now. What it has shown is that the party only keeps moving further and further left. Even with the Tea Party resurgence in 2010 we gained effectively nothing and only thwarted SOME of the leftward shift of the nation.
With all the unconstitutional and downright criminal actions of this administration we have yet to get so much as a tiny tuft of hair of anyone, let alone scalps, let alone what really should have happened impeachment.
How many more decades should we play your game of pushing the party to the left? You can say all you want that you support Bevin, but I do not buy it and anyone who does does not know you well.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM Article 5 convention of states. Term limit amendment. Make anyone who wants your vote sign on to it.

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Honestly, I could not care less about a McConnell vs Grimes matchup.

Progressive vs Progressive – Whoever wins we lose

Norwegian on April 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM

They LOST elections to do it.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM

That and this make for some interesting reading.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Inter-related…I always said that Hillary has lots of blood on her hands. I’m into finding out who this was and why.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Lawyer talk makes my head hurt but didn’t SCOTUS strike down term limits?

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM

You and anyone else interested will be blocked at every turn.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Fair enough. I’m an idiot. But at least I recognize betrayal and lies from those claiming to represent my interests.

This is what comes of betraying people to the point of desperation. This is how people react. As I see it, it is simply morally inendurable to continue with these arrangements and to continue to accept the temporizing promises. Following this path will NOT lead to restoration. It leads nowhere but to further loss and decay of our Constitutional principles. What Cantor is doing (no doubt with Boehner’s blessing and probably McConnell’s) is horrifying. These are not “alternatives” to the democrats. They are cowards and covert and insidious enablers. It is not logic or self interest to sustain their dominion. In any case, I won’t be part of it.

rrpjr on April 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM Perhaps you need to take a second look. The guys got skillz.

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 3:42 PM

And indeed, the race is close.

The race is only close because Bevin’s name is still in the mix. Take his name out and McConnell leaps ahead of Grimes by about 8-10 points.

Oh and BTW, Bevin’s is trailing by 42 points in the latest poll.

Johnnyreb on April 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM

rrpjr on April 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Just what I was gonna say until I saw your comment. “Take over the Senate, Take over the Senate”. What difference does it make? The excuse will be we can’t do anything because Obama has the veto. And don’t give me appointments, especially judicial appointments. Your telling me Kagan and Sotomayor wouldn’t have been passed by a McConnell led Senate with McCain, Collins, Heller, etc.? The Supreme Court doesn’t matter anyway. We supposedly had 5 GOP appointed judges and still Obamacare was upheld and Arizona’s immigration law was mostly overturned last year.

conservative5 on April 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I don’t doubt that he has some skills, but I don’t think he has enough to beat McConnell. He’s no Ted Cruz. A few weeks ago, Bevin was actually doing better than McConnell against Grimes, but his support for TARP and his comments about gay marriage have led to McConnell now doing better than Bevin.

This headache about the whole cockfighting thing won’t help either. I would have no problem supporting Bevin were he to win the nomination, but I suspect he won’t. McConnell is going to win the primary and the general.

GOPRanknFile on April 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM

JFKY

Your concern is noted, trulib, lol. Making out my check to Grimes right after this post. Thanks for convincing me to do something I never thought I would…contribute to a democrat. Well done.

xblade on April 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM

You and anyone else interested will be blocked at every turn.

Cindy Munford on April 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Not really. The goons are thugs, but not all are them.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Johnnyreb on April 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM ” We’re surrounded on all sides,…we got ‘em right where we want ‘em !”

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Moderates desert the party all the time when they are beaten by conservative primary challengers (see Dick Lugar, Charlie Crist, Lizzard Murkowski, Mike Castle, Bill Bolling…). Now that they are in danger of losing the crap-turtle that they installed as Senate minority leader, because conservatives in Kentucky might have decided to return the favor, they scream bloody murder. Pathetic!

The establishment has proven again and again that they rather lose an election than lose control of the party. Its not unreasonable for conservatives to play the same game.

Valkyriepundit on April 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM True, the odds are stacked,but still…

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM

What’s the difference between her and McConnell? Can anyone tell me?

SouthernGent on April 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

…they have the same private parts…but she doesn’t have…his neck?

KOOLAID2 on April 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Valkyriepundit on April 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM

BINGO!!!!!

conservative5 on April 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Valkyriepundit on April 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM Totally agree with the premise, not so the much the conclusion. If we had a little cushion, vote-wise,over these commies, then by all means take a few less than honorable members out each cycle and burn them to the ground. But with the situation as currently standing, we make no progress handing Dem’s a lay up.

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM

stevo on April 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I keep hearing that.

BUT the “lesson” the old guard keeps learning is that you good folks are faithless allies who cannot be depended upon and who will turn on them in a second. So why on earth would they pay any attention to you?

And when you talk about voting for Democrats or staying home so they can win, you only underline the point.

Adjoran on April 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM

SMACKRUNNER on April 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Heh, like I said, if he ends up beating McConnell, I’ll be one of biggest Bevin’s supporters. We need to win that seat.

GOPRanknFile on April 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I am donating to her if McConnell wins the GOP nomination

tcufrog on April 5, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Valkyriepundit on April 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Excellent, and Never to forget the swine of UT, Bob Bennett, who still undermines Mike Lee, as he always did. I hope he meets a painful end.

From the D-rat-latrine

2016 Utah senate race
In 2016, Tea Bagger Mike Lee (Utah) will be up for re-election. He is not exactly very popular in Utah.

In 2010, Mike Lee beat popular former senator Bob Bennett in the Republican Primary.

The problem is that while Mike Lee is not very popular, he is still far more popular than President Obama. According to my ex-girlfriend who is in Utah: “Obama is as popular here in Utah as dog manure.”

Republicans outnumber Democrats 50%-22% there and there is a 0% chance Hillary would win Utah in 2016.

With that in mind, there is one person who can take the seat away from Tea Bagger Lee and that is Jon Huntsman. Now, you may say that John Huntsman is a Republican, but consider this: Huntsman campaign his gubernatorial re-election on renewable energy and regulations to protect the environment. (Keep in mind that Utah is a socially conservative, but fiscally liberal state.)

Huntsman has no future in the Republican Party. According to Bennett, “{Huntsman}’s less popular with those delegates than {he} was” so he cannot beat Lee in a Senate primary and he also has no chance in a Presidential primary against Rubio/Paul/Christie/Bush etc.

So what I am really wondering is if there is any chance that Huntsman would be willing to run on the Democratic ticket for Senator.

Huntsman left office (as governor of Utah) with an 84% approval rating.

According to a few people in Utah that I know, Huntsman remain very popular and if he runs on the Democratic ticket, many people there are willing disregard the (D) next to his name.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I have to laugh. The GOP leadership acts like it cares about winning the Senate but its only real priority is saving its own skin. Mitch McConnell is throwing mega millions into his race while the GOP lets a fraud like Al Franken walk through reelection virtually untouched.

I would vote against McConnell on principle. As long as he is the leader of the GOP in the Senate, he will continue to lose every political battle and sell out his party for his own ego. There is no point in having a majority in the Senate if the same players are running the show.

I dont think some of the GOP faithful realize how many of us are done playing this game. There is no “coming home” after the primary anymore.

alecj on April 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM

xblade on April 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM

You can call JFKY what you like but he’s not the one bankrolling the Democrats, you are.

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM

The old pig of Indiana, with no IN residence to his name.

RINO bacon and swine extraordinaire.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I hope Karl Rove loses a ton of dough and that 3 will be his ‘charm’, into oblivion.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Can’t wait to donate to my first ever democrat. But Grimes will have earned it if McConnell wins the nomination.

I also have family in Kentucky and will try to encourage them to work the phone lines for Grimes as well.

McConnell has to be defeated at any cost. Even if that means a democrat winning. Sometimes you have to cut the head off of the snake

tcufrog on April 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Adjoran on April 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM

If they view voter allegiance that way, they must be really repulsed by centrist voters, right? I mean since the middle always changes from Democrat to Republican, back to Democrat and so on? No wonder the middle gets hardly any attention in modern day election cycles…

Valkyriepundit on April 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Exercising leverage: depending on the Republican advantage going into the election, a Tea Party vote for Grimes could remove McConnell from the Senate entirely without endangering the Republican takeover. It would certainly get the GOPe’s attention!

PersonFromPorlock on April 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Texastoast on April 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Well, we shall see on Election Day, if McConnell does survive his election – wouldn’t we?

LMAO.

I wouldn’t be so sure like you that McConnell will pull through.

TheRightMan on April 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM

tcufrog on April 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Amen!

TheRightMan on April 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Adjoran on April 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Hence why the old guard needs to be jettisoned post haste and replaced with someone who remembers who brought them to the dance in the first place. The old guard has forgotten and short of being put out of the car in the middle of nowhere with a long hike back to town will not learn the proper lessons.
Thanks for making my point while you try to say the sun is rising in the west.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Wow love the fake conservatives selling us Grimes over Mc Connell

First get the senate for R at all cost then worry about getting rid of rhinos.

Quit the bs here, you fake conservatives. Getting rid of Harry frack head Reid running the senate is number 1 priority over anything else. Wake up.

losarkos on April 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Lets just look at this like the Eich fellow… Turning on the leadership will set the mood of the lesser people. Ditching the Tea party hating scumbag McConnell will be a wake up call to the rest of the party that we will not tolerate regressives.
While Eich was a political lynching in a non political position and immoral, taking out McConnell is a political posturing based on making the party follow the will of the base.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM

losarkos on April 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Not selling Grimes over McConnell. Selling the fact that the party will never change if you keep rewarding its members for going against the base. Time to make those who reject the base no longer beneficiaries of the base.

astonerii on April 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Adjoran on April 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM

the fact that McConnell has been supported for thirty years gives lie to your statement. in actuality he is a traitor who cannot be depended on and must go. when the Liberal In Actions Republicans (L.I.A.R’S) know they can continuously lie to us and skrew us without repercussions they will never stop. McConnell and all like him must go

Garyinaz66 on April 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Whether Bevin or Grimes defeats Mcturtle, it would be a win for the people of the entire US. If we have the current Rino faction in leadership positions come the end of next November, a majority in both houses will mean nada, nothing, squat. Because:

Amnesty will go forward, Obozocare will stand, The NSA will grow in size and power, and the Rinos will continue to pee their pants and run every time the jug eared dog eater wags his finger.

The drunk weeper of the house must go too.

Is it time for the shooting war yet?

Exninja on April 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I keep hearing that.

Adjoran on April 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM”

See if what you’re saying were true you might have a point. The problem is that it’s the RINO’s who can never be depended on when conservatives need them. Rather RINO’s undermine conservatives every chance they get while conservatives (until now) have faithfully supported the RINO’s.

conservative5 on April 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

This seat is not going to flip. Obama has an approval rating of 35% in Kentucky. Who seriously believes they are going to send a D to the senate to vote for his agenda? Not a chance.

McConnell may not be popular, but Obama is liked even less. This seat will stay R.

cat_owner on April 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM

losarkos on April 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I basically agree, although winning the Senate with a bunch of RINOS won’t help much. Hopefully people that Palin endorsed will do well, such as Joni Ernst from Iowa. We need a lot more conservatives in order to make any difference.

cat_owner on April 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

cat_owner on April 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Palin didn’t support Bevin. Why? Apparently because he didn’t ask.

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Palin didn’t support Bevin. Why? Apparently because he didn’t ask.

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I must say I am very much disappointed in Bevin’s campaign. He lacks the killer punch needed to close the gap between him and McConnell.

By now, he should have blanketed the state with ads that are begging to write themselves. I don’t also see him working the grassroots. He should learn from the McDaniel campaign in Mississippi.

TheRightMan on April 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM

The McConnellites are scaremongering. Bevin would easily coast to victory in KY in the general election. The voters there have a unique opportunity to improve the Senate. They should take it. Replace the old traitorous windbag with fresh conservative blood.

Unfortunately, Kentucky looks a lot like Arizona to me. McConnell smells like McCain. I pray that ky voters prove me wrong.

kpguru on April 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM

JFKY on April 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

When faced with 2 devils, better the one you don’t know than the stronger one you know. We know mcwattle and if he wins he could be the most powerful senator in the country. Is that the man you want to use his jackboot to crush conservatives? No thanks.

AH_C on April 5, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Palin didn’t support Bevin. Why? Apparently because he didn’t ask.

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

We don’t know if he asked or not. Even if he did, Palin has the right to not endorse someone. I’m sure she vets everyone before endorsing them.

Bevin’s campaign is going no where, even though he was endorsed a long time ago from SCF and I believe a few tea party groups. Club for Growth has not endorsed either, and I’m sure they are no fan of McConnell. Most groups want to endorse someone who not only shares their beliefs, but has a decent chance of winning.

cat_owner on April 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Bevin would easily coast to victory in KY in the general election.

kpguru on April 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM

So many conservatives make this claim, but where is the evidence? How could he easily coast to victory in the general, when he’s about 40 points behind in the primary?

cat_owner on April 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM

What’s the difference between her and McConnell? Can anyone tell me?

SouthernGent on April 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

The difference is another round of Harry Reid.

bimmcorp on April 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM

TheRightMan on April 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM

He didn’t blanket the State with ads because he has no money. His endorsement of the TARP when he was a hedge fund guy pretty much killed most fund raising he could hope for here from conservatives.

Also being endorsed by more Democrats in the State than Republicans doesn’t help.

Johnnyreb on April 5, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Cat, I base the statement on all voting trends in Ky. It’s not like he’s running in Florida or Virginia. Unless there’s a story waiting to drop proving him to secretly running drugs or kiddie porn or illegal weapons … Then the R will win. Why would anyone but a complete political novice think otherwise. Take a look at Obama’s approval in the state. The Ds will take a huge beating everywhere this year, especially in Ky.

kpguru on April 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM

The GOP will win at least 9 seats, so even if KY was to flip it wouldn’t change the majority going R. If Bevin can’t win the primary, then vote out McScrooge these party elitist drunk on power need to be sent a message. If all else fails and he wins, elect someone else as majority leader. He can be the parliamentarian.

smitty41 on April 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Johnnyreb on April 5, 2014 at 6:14 PM

That will do it. Ironically, now Grimes is getting support from the right.

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM

That will do it. Ironically, now Grimes is getting support from the right.

thebrokenrattle on April 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM

That was the plan the entire time. Run Bevin who is not a conservative by any stretch of the imagination and scare moderate Republicans into voting for Grimes. Fortunately, Bevin is 41 points behind in the latest primary poll and no threat to McConnell, so it isn’t going to happen.

Johnnyreb on April 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hot Air Republican establishment to conservatives:

“We hate you, you faithless swine! How dare you say you might not vote for us! YOU HAVE NO CHOICE. We will destroy you, we will root you out! We expect your vote in November, and your cash now, filthy Sofiscons! Vote for us!”

With such a persuasive message, how can the GOP not win with conservatives?

Pless1foEngrish on April 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Lib or not, I’d totally hit that…

affenhauer on April 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Grimey! Homer Simpson should run against her!

22044 on April 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Here’s the RINOs at NRSC using leftist smear tactics against a rising conservative primary challenger. They hate us. They. Hate. Us.

And you want our support, you chickensh*t weasels?

rrpjr on April 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM