Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on April 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

A leading anti-gay marriage organization is calling for a boycott of the web browser Firefox after its maker, Mozilla, forced out its CEO over his opposition to same-sex marriage.

The National Organization for Marriage said in a statement that the exit of CEO Brendan Eich on Thursday — Eich resigned amidst pressure over his contributions to the 2008 ballot measure outlawing gay marriage in California — resulted from a “McCarthy-esque witch hunt.”

“When Brendon Eich made his modest contribution to support Proposition 8, Barack Obama was on the ballot as a candidate who said he believed marriage was the union of one man and one woman,” NOM president Brian Brown said. “Now Eich has been the target of a vicious character attack by gay activists who have forced him out of the company he has helped lead for years.”

***

I normally loathe the “boycott this because of that” but the precedent Mozilla set by caving to such capricious demands has made me consider whether I want to use their services in the future. I feel trapped into this awful paradigm where something as insignificant as what browser I use must reinforce my core beliefs.

My most mundane choices in commodities and services are now how I define myself instead of my own words and thoughts. I cannot say I comprehend the expectation that businesses must have complete ideological alignment with my beliefs. I’m a person that believes in simplicity. If they make something I like that’s better than anyone else, I’m generally inclined to buy it or use it. I don’t spend my time confirming ideological alignment with their core management staff before I purchase or use an item.

A world where ones political beliefs are cause for dismissal is not a world I want to see. Let the free market weigh in now that Mozilla has decided to push out the man who invented javascript and co- founded their company.

***

As I said last night, of course Mozilla has the right to purge a CEO because of his incorrect political views. Of course Eich was not stripped of his First Amendment rights. I’d fight till my last breath for Mozilla to retain that right. What I’m concerned with is the substantive reason for purging him. When people’s lives and careers are subject to litmus tests, and fired if they do not publicly renounce what may well be their sincere conviction, we have crossed a line. This is McCarthyism applied by civil actors. This is the definition of intolerance. If a socially conservative private entity fired someone because they discovered he had donated against Prop 8, how would you feel? It’s staggering to me that a minority long persecuted for holding unpopular views can now turn around and persecute others for the exact same reason. If we cannot live and work alongside people with whom we deeply disagree, we are finished as a liberal society

Here’s what Eich said last month: “I know some will be skeptical about this, and that words alone will not change anything. I can only ask for your support to have the time to ‘show, not tell’; and in the meantime express my sorrow at having caused pain.” There is not a scintilla of evidence that he has ever discriminated against a single gay person at Mozilla; he was dedicated to continuing Mozilla’s inclusive policies; he was prepared to prove that the accusations against him were unfair, and that his political views would not affect his performance as CEO. But this was not enough. He had to be publicly punished for supporting a Proposition that is no longer in effect. This is absolutely McCarthyism from an increasingly McCarthyite left.

***

If they can knock off a guy like Eich, one of the co-founders of the company and one of the most important figures in the tech industry, because of his belief in traditional marriage, who is safe? I’ve not read anything about Eich’s religious beliefs, but he does have five children, and graduated from Santa Clara University, which is Catholic. Whatever his faith, if he has faith, this is a clear shot that no orthodox Catholic, Evangelical, or Orthodox Christian, or Orthodox Jew, or faithful Muslim, is welcome at Mozilla — nor, it is safe to assume, in Silicon Valley at all. This, even though one’s view on marriage has nothing to do with the success or failure of the work of Silicon Valley. They would rather throw one of the founding fathers of the Internet down a well than tolerate him, because of his expressed belief on traditional marriage.

Think about that.

If this was the Democratic Party, or a gay-rights religious group, an AIDS charity, or an organization like that, you could certainly see why this would, or could, matter to the mission. But a tech firm, especially given that as CEO, he had pledged to abide by and to continue the firm’s gay-friendly policies?…

The Law Of Merited Impossibility — “It’s not going to happen, and when it does, you people will deserve it” — is manifest in the Brendan Eich case to an extent we’ve not yet seen. As far as I can tell, the only real hope orthodox Christians and other opponents of SSM have lies in the willingness of prominent liberal (in the philosophical sense) gays like Andrew Sullivan to stand up for the principle of free speech and tolerance against the McCarthyites.

***

[A] gay CEO with a pair of brass ones needs to step up and speak truth to a growing, and most illiberal new power. He or she needs to hire Brendan Eich in some sort of corporate leadership capacity for the sake of the most fundamental of freedoms — the freedom to think what you want to think, even if your thinking is unpopular or deemed “mistaken” — and in so doing boldly declare that our society has no truck with inquisitions…

I have known gay people and loved gay people and buried gay people and fed gay people and edited gay people and argued on their behalf, even when it has at times meant facing opposition from my co-religionists. It seems to me some “official gay folk” need to step up, and speak up for the basic human right of free speech and free thought for all people — without fear of poverty and social stigma.

Let me be clear: I hold out absolutely no hope that this chill wind will be checked or reversed — too many people with money and influence and no individual courage at all find totalitarianism an alluring idea.

***

Calls for his ouster were premised on the notion that all support for Proposition 8 was hateful, and that a CEO should be judged not just by his or her conduct in the professional realm, but also by political causes he or she supports as a private citizen.

If that attitude spreads, it will damage our society

Its implications are particularly worrisome because whatever you think of gay marriage, the general practice of punishing people in business for bygone political donations is most likely to entrench powerful interests and weaken the ability of the powerless to challenge the status quo. There is very likely hypocrisy at work too. Does anyone doubt that had a business fired a CEO six years ago for making a political donation against Prop 8, liberals silent during this controversy (or supportive of the resignation) would’ve argued that contributions have nothing to do with a CEO’s ability to do his job? They’d have called that firing an illiberal outrage, but today they’re averse to vocally disagreeing with allies.

***

How quickly has liberty been transmuted into orthodoxy. For the entirety of human history, gay marriage was a veritable non-issue — a thought that had occurred seriously to nobody and for which there was neither a meaningful constituency nor measurable pressure. In the space of a decade it has moved from a fringe and novel proposition to a moral imperative — and, now, to fodder for the new inquisitors. That the issue has now achieved the approval of a narrow majority is to my mind no bad thing. That the movement’s more vocal champions have started bludgeoning their enemies one and a half minutes into their still-fragile victory speaks tremendously ill of them, and does not portend well for the republic…

Notably missing from the hysteria was any explanation of precisely what Eich’s critics expected to happen were he left in charge. Instead, Mozilla’s press office merely asserted that the company was such a diverse, tolerant, and live-and-let-live sort of place that it was all but obliged to hound a man out of office because he possessed slightly different political views from the majority of its staff. Nowhere was it suggested that Eich would damage the company. Nowhere was it argued that he was personally hostile or unpleasant toward its employees. Nowhere was it implied that he would seek to discriminate against those about whom he might have personal qualms. Instead, we were left with the uncomfortable impression that the assembled denizens of the open-source browser industry are so pathetic and so delicate in their sensibilities that they cannot work alongside anybody who displays the temerity to disagree with them. Is that who we want to be?

***

As conservatives we understand the importance of the free market. So for us it’s not surprising that a company’s figurehead, under heightened scrutiny, might spark a free market response when making an unpopular personal belief public. In this case, it seems Mozilla management is protecting the interest of their investors (which is their primary job) by having Brendan Eich step down.

That being said, it is important to recognize another side of this debate. As members of a community whose opinions were once (and often times still are) in the minority, we should always remember that it was our right to express our opinions that has helped us win over public sentiment and brought us closer to equality. As gay people and as conservatives, we need to continue to respect the opposition’s right to a dissenting opinion. It’s called free speech. Our job, as influencers and activists, is to change hearts and minds, not attack people’s livelihood. This is a campaign for freedom, not a which hunt.

***

Now that the law, belatedly and slowly, is beginning to treat gay people as equal citizens, the only recourse opponents have is that they—the real bullies—are themselves being bullied. Of course, “bullying” is an over-used word, an overplayed accusation, and it is most galling when used by those who know historically how to wear their knuckledusters with pride. Most recently, Michele Bachmann claimed gays had “bullied” the American people and politicians…

A quite natural, absolutely correct anger—think of Reagan’s shameful AIDS ignorance—underpins gay activism. Equality is now so long overdue, yet still elusive, that anger inevitably flares when an example like Eich and Mozilla presents itself. Eich’s lack of personal response to the controversy exacerbated the anger.

Eich is not a brave “heretic.” His prejudiced views are simply not those a company like Mozilla wants to be associated with. Eich wasn’t badgered or bullied from his job. He was shamed out of it. And the shame wasn’t his, it seems because he’s had very little to say about the matter—but rather his employer’s. All of this is ugly, for sure. But a belief in, and practice of, equality is not. If we aspire to that personally and legislate for it publicly, the ugliness will dissipate.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

And away we go.

RickB on April 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Gay night…

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Gaystapo

Freedom of Speech is dead.

Good night USA and welcome US of Zimbabwe.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Together We Thrive™

Murphy9 on April 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Russia has more freedom of speech now.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Together We Thrive™

Murphy9 on April 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Dive is more like it.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Evening all!

Wow this is early.

CoffeeLover on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

^ Don’t forget to tell them what you think, even if you are keeping Firefox. Be heard, peeps. And yes, it does matter — we’ve learned this by now, right?

I’m sorry, guys. You had a CEO who believed marriage was the union of a woman with a man, and to that end, once made one small donation to support legislation to that effect. When he was attacked by a small group of fanatics who want to scrub his opinion from public discourse, you didn’t defend him — not his opinion, not even his right to form it. Instead, you sided with the fanatics and participated in driving him out, in punishing him for his opinion and making him an intimidating example to others that might share it. Since you’ve decided to scrub the opinions of people who disagree with you from public life, I’ve decided to scrub you from mine. And I am sorry: I’ve installed FF routinely on every machine I’ve repaired and proselytized energetically for the cause since the very beginning. I sincerely hope you wake up soon and realize where we are in history and what’s really being decided. You could just as easily be a powerful force for liberty, intellectual honesty, and diversity of opinion, instead of what you have become, an organization of cowards happy to provide your campus to fanatics who need it to burn their “witches” at the stake — even when the witch is one of your own.

^ I like that one. :)

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

The Islamists are licking their chops.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

…B I S H O P…!!!

KOOLAID2 on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Sophie, what do you think of Dallas?

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

illiberal, intolerant fascist left.

rbj on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I am still using Firefox, feeling some guilt…

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Sophie, what do you think of Dallas?

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

My cats are named Lucy & JR.

Lanceman on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I like best what Andrew Sullivan and Tammy Bruce wrote/said.

The gays will attain the tyranny they seek.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

that is excellent. I wished I had that gift to write like that.

CoffeeLover on April 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog Apr 3

“I have an ethical problem with Brendan Eich.” – guy who has no ethical problem with Woody Allen

davidk on April 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Sophie, what do you think of Dallas?

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

My cats are named Lucy & JR.

Lanceman on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Sophie, what do you think of the city of Dallas?

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I agree Schad. Both of them were on point.

CoffeeLover on April 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM

The biggest irony is that the open code company fired its CEO, against freedom of speech.

I’ve run this 1000 times through my head since.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM

If this is true, then the penalties for white people use the n-word are also McCarthyism. What possible argument is there for the right-wing position that doesn’t also say we should tolerate racism?

thuja on April 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I am still using Firefox, feeling some guilt…

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

No, no, no. Decide what you think is the right thing to do and then do that. :) Be guiltless.

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM

13m ago
Tyson recalls 75,000 pounds of frozen chicken nuggets because they contained ‘foreign matter’ – @NBCNews
read more on nbcnews.com

Murphy9 on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

…thanks Axe!
I think I’ll be a Democrat…and vote often!

KOOLAID2 on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I think the “boycott” firefox stuff is stupid because I’m pretty sure Eich would find it stupid…

Just use whatever you want…

ninjapirate on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

that is excellent. I wished I had that gift to write like that.

CoffeeLover on April 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Nice of you. :) –Still not being nice to Newtie, though.

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

we should tolerate racism?

thuja on April 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Please, don’t throw that word around without understanding the definition. You become ‘rat voter mentalitied.

Lanceman on April 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I think I’ll be a Democrat…and vote often!

KOOLAID2 on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

*uptwinkles*

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Bmore on April 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I think I’ll be a Democrat…and vote often!

KOOLAID2 on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Over B.More’s dead body, you will!

Lanceman on April 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

LOL

CoffeeLover on April 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

thuja, you have become leftist shit.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I like best what Andrew Sullivan and Tammy Bruce wrote/said.

The gays will attain the tyranny they seek.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Tammy’s always classy, Sully has found some class in this mess. Good on him.

ProudinNC on April 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM

This is the definition of intolerance.

Bmore on April 4, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Switched off of Firefox today. One of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made.

KingGold on April 4, 2014 at 8:15 PM

You must stand up to and fight these and other bullies. Otherwise, this nonsense will continue. Words and reason are not enough anymore.

fortcoins on April 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I like best what Andrew Sullivan and Tammy Bruce wrote/said.

The gays will attain the tyranny they seek.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Yep, good on them…

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Switched off of Firefox today. One of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made.

KingGold on April 4, 2014 at 8:15 PM

What’d you switch to?

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Mooslim ? No way SillyCon Valle gaystapo will ever have the guts to say a word against mooslimbs, not even the same words they use
against Christians and Jews .
This is a very anti-Christian and anti-Semitic culture here.

burrata on April 4, 2014 at 8:18 PM

no individual courage at all find totalitarianism an alluring idea.

Bmore on April 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Wow. They are being hammered.

I’m on Midori now. Just chucked Firefox and will never go back.

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM

If that attitude spreads, it will damage our society…

Bmore on April 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM

What’d you switch to?

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Chrome. Google may be packed full of libs, but at least they know how to make a good browser. Truthfully, this was just the last step in a long road away from sluggish Firefox.

KingGold on April 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Dusty on April 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Good research, Dusty.

davidk on April 4, 2014 at 8:22 PM

The Islamists are licking their chops.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Check this out :

burrata on April 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Good evening.

Just wanted to congratulate Axe on the brilliant Prose.

I see Presidential Speech writer in your future…

……are you willing to be employed by a woman from
Alaska???

ToddPA on April 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I’m in a bind because my laptop is Windows XP, can’t afford new computer or upgrade. Can’t even upgrade my IE, so I have to use FireFox sometimes when the outdated IE goes haywire.

BeachBum on April 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I am still using Firefox, feeling some guilt…

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

you should–Mozilla couldn’t care less about your sense of decency and what is right-you are subordinate to 3% of the population and by god (theirs not yours) you damn well ought to take the supplicant position… I took a different view I burned all my Mozilla apps today. I got the message they don’t need me and I don’t want them.

HatfieldMcCoy on April 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I’m on Midori now.

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Isn’t that the green melon flavored liquor.

RickB on April 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I picked Midori from this list. Many of the browsers listed have Windows versions — it depends on the base toolkit. Webkit/GTK+ is a combo previously ported to Windows.

Sadly, it’s a 32 bit browser like Firefox.

Here’s a “downstream” version of Firefox if you like Firefox. This is GNU taking the Firefox source, removing all proprietary artwork and trademarks, and then making it available to the public:

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Just broke 5000 negative feedback number.

StubbleSpark on April 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Absolute bullshit. The lie that was told and bought. Typical leftist progressive tactic.

Bmore on April 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM

The problem is that all these tech outfits are in that area. I can’t see any reason why anything technological, much less everything technological, has to be located there in pervert country.

Buddahpundit on April 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Just use whatever you want…

ninjapirate on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

It directly relates to the company because it reflects the depth of dedication to freedom of speech and privacy, which are two very big reasons to use Firefox in the first place.

As for what Eich wants … I anticipate using whatever he comes up with next.

StubbleSpark on April 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Thanks to King gold for the info….so Chrome is going
to be reaping some benefits from this purge?

ToddPA on April 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Isn’t that the green melon flavored liquor.

RickB on April 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Nope. Asian pornstar.

Lanceman on April 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I don’t want to hear anything from the left for a while. I’m gonna practice some intolerance myself. I don’t want to hear about Zerocare, or globull warming, or ghey this or ghey that. I’m sick to death of these people and their totalitarian mindset. Do the American people really want to keep the left in charge by electing Hillary Clinton in 2016? God, I hope not.

TarheelBen on April 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Sadly, it’s a 32 bit browser like Firefox.

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Is it powered by Google? I do not use any google or apple products on my machines, ,and will it support adblock plus?

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

This situation is bollocks. I’m against prop 8 and I think the organizers of the prop deserve criticism …but this Firefox thing is ridiculous. This was a marketing campaign that has evolved downward into the kind of bullying that was inflicted on homosexuals at various points in time.

Once OK Cupid set the fuse the usual suspects on both sides have amplified this way past the level of stupidity. Anyway, that’s my pointless contribution to this absurd mess.

lexhamfox on April 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Wow. They are being hammered.

I’m on Midori now. Just chucked Firefox and will never go back.

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Sort of surprised. :) re. hammering.

Our side sometimes reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy’s description of women in bed:

“Women in bed are like Diesel engines. What I mean by that is, it may take them a while to get going, but when you do, they can go for a long, long time. Whereas men are like… bottle rockets.”

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Charles Cook is the perfect example. He writes for NRO, but can’t bring himself to proclaim he was wrong about what motivates SSM.

If you need a good laugh, go read the Daily Beast article from above. Same LGB cliche’s – Stonewall, Regan and Aids – different year.

This crew is thrilled they’ve knuckled under a large company. They are not going to stop.

I’m just wondering if they move on the churches before or after the mid-terms.

And once again, any GOP candidate who kisses the ring of Paul Singer cannot be our nominee.

budfox on April 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM

That’s a pretty queer claim. Anything to back it up?

Murphy9 on April 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Hate to quote a redneck comedian. I’d hate to be accused of “hustering.”

– lol

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I am still using Firefox, feeling some guilt…

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Ditto. For the time being, I’m at my desktop using it while wearing a brown paper bag over my head. I print a lot of material, and I really like Mozilla’s Print Preview feature because it allows me to play with the size of what I print.

Help. Some suggest a suitable alternative.

Can conservative techies form a new tech company?

BuckeyeSam on April 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I had the honor of meeting him @ Chicago’s 2010 Second Amendment Day rally in 2010.
He was a gentleman-and a patriot. RIP Otis McDonald.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Just use whatever you want…

ninjapirate on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Time to fight fire with fire. Why should I support an organization which says that what I believe cannot ever possibly be part of their culture?

Fine — let the gays use Firefox. Now that we’ve learned it’s a gay browser, and we’re not gay, there you go.

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

The Left won’t stop using boycotts against Conservatives until we punch back twice as hard.

Frankly our failure to boycott the Left was a huge part of how gays gained acceptance in the first place. Had we boycotted any TV network or movie or company that promoted the gay lifestyle in the 90s, they wouldn’t have gained a pop culture foothold.

Outlander on April 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

NOH8

BKeyser on April 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM

My cats are named Lucy & JR.

Lanceman on April 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Except its J Oar, and he’s not your cat. You don’t allow him in the house.

ladyingray on April 4, 2014 at 8:35 PM

The brownshirts have assembled quite the army.

They don’t know history, though.
All this disparate groups will be dispatched of at the first inclining they are no longer useful.

Like hitlers unions.

Happy Friday,, all. :)

wolly4321 on April 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

yyeeeaa…Mozilla prefers to be an anti-Christian bigot because that is not prejudice .

Eich wasn’t badgered or bullied from his job.

Yeah right !
and the Mooch pays for her booze & lobsters !

burrata on April 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Gaystapo Theme Music

Murphy9 on April 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Can conservative techies form a new tech company?

BuckeyeSam on April 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM

No. For the same reason Eich got the boot.

The tech industry is suffused with gay people and their cheerleaders. Since, to these people, “conservative” is a synonym for “bigot,” any tech startup founded by conservatives would get blacklisted before they hung up their shingle.

KingGold on April 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM

As long as they keep getting scalps, they will continue to push.

…what do you think of the city of Dallas?

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Used to be a GREAT place.

Now it would like to relocate itself between Philadelphia and New York City.

cozmo on April 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM

he ‘Diversity and Tolerance Brigade©’ Claims Another Scalp The New Torquemadas Resist We Much on April 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I have to catch up on your posts. Weekends are my reading time.

wolly4321 on April 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Good evening.

I think there was a lot more to forcing Eich out of Mozilla than the political contribution he made six years ago.

Eich was born in 1961. He’s about 53 years old. By Silicon Valley standards he’s older than dirt.

Silicon Valley’s Brutal Ageism

When I read that Eich has been assailed with a ‘revolt within Mozilla’… I realized what a convenient means the gay marriage issue was in finding means to force a co-founder out of the daily operations of the business.

There is a wide spread and deeply held bigotry among the young who work in the tech industry that dictates that an older employee is past their prime and out of good ideas and innovations.

thatsafactjack on April 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Happy Friday,, all. :)

wolly4321 on April 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

WOO HOO! FRIDAY!

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM

KingGold on April 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Really? I had visions of a Fox News “build it and they’ll come” scenario.

We need a Chick-Fil-A-tech.

BuckeyeSam on April 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM

OmahaConservative on April 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Midori:
NO, it does not support AdBlock Plus — which is, of course, a shame.

And WebKit is Apple. They donated it to the open source community. It’s the web API for Safari. If you sit it on top of GTK, you get the ability to deal with both Windows and Linux. The proprietary backend for MacOS, Cocoa, isn’t needed to use WebKit.

If I ever fork Firefox, one of the first things I’ll do is to build in AdBlock Plus and NoScript as native plugin code in the engine rather than Javascript. They do slow things down as add-ons.

ICEcat: It’s Firefox rebranded by GNU. Since GNU provides the source, just as Mozilla does, you can do pretty much what you want with it. The Firefox team uses LGPL 2 as the licensing stuff, which basically says that if you modify the code, you have to provide access to the modified source at no cost, and that you will include the LGPL 2 licences in your distribution. The LGPL license has further words that indemnify the provider and the authors from any lawsuits arising from the use or abuse of the software.

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

WOO HOO! FRIDAY!

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I don’t know what day it is-since I’ve been off since Sunday, Work tomorrow, Sunday, and Friday-and then am off Saturday.
Also-who am I?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Except its J Oar, and he’s not your cat. You don’t allow him in the house.

ladyingray on April 4, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Shut the fvck up, dumdum!

Lanceman on April 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Now it would like to relocate itself between Philadelphia and New York City.

cozmo on April 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM

This might work.

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

ladyingray on April 4, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Shel’s in time-out.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM

KingGold on April 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Also, there are a large number of Indians in this industry and inspite of their tech intelligence and knowledge, they are almost all anti-American and anti-White. Unless it affects their bottom line that is !

burrata on April 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Also-who am I?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

It is puzzling to most scientists.

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM

OT

Bmore on April 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Some new eaglets for you.

Barred on April 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Is silicon valley east or west of the san andreas fault?

wolly4321 on April 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

This has really upset AP…?

d1carter on April 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Also-who am I?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

More importantly; what are you?

cozmo on April 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Web browsers listing for Windows

This link provides a number of different browsers that work with windows.

Kaffa on April 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Oh man, some of those comments on the Firefox feedback page are a hoot.

I searched for “free speech” and Firefox shut down. Then I searched for “I support traditional marriage” and Firefox removed itself from my computer. It was a great browser. Sorry to see it go.

They seriously whacked a hornet’s nest with this idiocy.

KingGold on April 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

WOO HOO! FRIDAY!

Axe on April 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I don’t know what day it is
annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Sheesh…today is today.

HonestLib on April 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Greetings from civilization savages!

DarkCurrent on April 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM