Video: Fallon pokes fun at Obama with … Sarah Palin?

posted at 10:01 am on April 3, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Maybe Jimmy Fallon really does want to follow Jay Leno’s tradition of full-political-spectrum comedy. Earlier this week, Fallon ripped Barack Obama for his victory lap on ObamaCare, and last night he invited Sarah Palin to join him in this four-minute mockfest of Obama’s foreign-policy acumen. Palin is a good sport here, joking about the unusual names of her children at one point, but the subtext throughout this is that Palin was smart enough to see through Vladimir Putin — and Obama wasn’t. Watch for a cameo from “Obama” near the end (via Katie Pavlich):

Of course, as with all things Palin, her Tonight Show appearance sparked passion on line … especially from her detractors. Twitchy cataloged some of the worst of the social-media remarks, where full-political-spectrum comedy gets less than full-spectrum appreciation. Here are a couple of the cleaner comments:

And so on. The most interesting aspect of this for me is what it promises from Fallon and the new Tonight Show perspective. Even if the segment sags a bit in the middle, committing a whole segment to having Palin make fun of Obama is remarkable … especially for NBC.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The same people whose heads are exploding this morning over Palin’s appearance were perfectly fine with Fallon slow jamming the news with Obama two years ago (and in 2012, Obama was running for office, while here, Palin’s just promoting her new TV show).

jon1979 on April 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Nice.

cs89 on April 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Wow. Second look at Fallon? Might have to consider.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

…here we go again!

KOOLAID2 on April 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

…I better leave…before I start putting peoples lips…where they don’t belong!

KOOLAID2 on April 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I was busting a gut when she walked up and handed him the bottle of vodka. Priceless sendup of the whole “I can see Russia…” canard.

CurtZHP on April 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Cool. But you know he’ll make up for it by kissing up to Obama later, so…

changer1701 on April 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I really don’t see the need for NOT being an equal-opportunity basher–so long as you’re jabs are justified. My sense is that conservatives don’t mind fair jabbing. It’s the liberals who can’t stand it.

Fallon gains more by driving down the middle of the road while jabbing both sides justifiably.

BuckeyeSam on April 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

*gets buttered popcorn ready*

fortcoins on April 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM

This was really great. I watched it last night—so glad I have been watching Fallon, I am slowly getting accustomed to him and his particular brand of humor…

OmahaConservative on April 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Did you see the reply to the first tweet?

Luckily the world isn’t made up of only crazy cat ladies such as yourself. #getalife

I don’t think AP would have approved of this post, Ed. :D

Mark Boabaca on April 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Not going to watch it.

1. Personally, I find Jimmy Fallon as amusing as a pet rock.

2. IMHO, Sarah Palin’s Obama zingers are better when they’re natural and unscripted.

Flora Duh on April 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I was really laughing my ass off when she delivered the bottle of Stoli from Alaska to Russia, of course I was having a few beers at the time…

OmahaConservative on April 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I love the fact that Sarah has a way of making liberals expose themselves for what they truly are….mean spirited and very ugly people.

Cherokee on April 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Palin is a great sport. Like her, be indifferent to her, or despise her.

Who wouldn’t want her as a next-door neighbor?

BuckeyeSam on April 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM

NBC (subcommittee of the DNC) will now try to tack to the middle as much as possible in order to appease the idiot GOP which will once again play Charlie Brown to Lucy’s football!

Now that Obamabi has been re-elected and Obamacare has been given the “Mission Accomplished!” wall-to-wall news coverage, the lefty media needs to do a little course correction.

Of course, as I said, the GOP fools will go right back to trying to win the media’s affection. The GOP is essentially the abused wife who declares to the emergency room doctor, “He beats me because he loooooves me…..”

Pathetic.

powerpickle on April 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM

How is it possible that she just keeps getting prettier and classier?

Professor Blather on April 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Not a huge fan of either one of them but it was very funny.
Nice to have a laugh after the events of the last couple of days.
When she stood up with the vodka, I kept smacking Mr Jomama on the arm
and saying “look at how good she looks!”
(so ok yeah I’m a teensy bit jealous)

Jomama on April 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Hmm. Sounds like Fallon’s show is not long for this world. Just like with Mozilla and Firefox, liberals cannot stand dissent, so Fallon’s either got to prostrate himself like soon, or he’s going to get the axe in favor of Piers Morgan, probably. Or Olbermann.

Vanceone on April 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM

wuuutttt??!

IR-MN on April 3, 2014 at 10:27 AM

That was cute. Maybe I’ll tune in and give Fallon a chance.

magicbeans on April 3, 2014 at 10:27 AM

some of the worst of the social-media remarks

Thanks again for the validation, lefties:

Sarah, directly over the target as usual.

Tsar of Earth on April 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Just put me in the turret.
I’ll have a smile for some.

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Sometimes I wish I had a James Bond weapon that could shoot 50,000 volts through these idiots’ Twitter accounts.

Nutstuyu on April 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I was disappointed when Leno was sent packing and had little to no, interest in watching Fallon, who I perceive as a hopeless ‘Progressive’ who would skew his show in that direction, 100% of the time. I have, somewhat, been ‘heartened’ by several of his more ‘balanced’ skits. Esp liked this one. Of course, The One’s admin is so ripe for snark, where do you start? I read some of the lefty diatribes and journeys into luridness and profanity ref the skit – right in character for that ilk. ‘Precious’ the way they seem so unable to see the ironies and blatant projection of their ‘feelings’ and blathering. It seems Fallon may be biting the bullet a bit and trying to hold onto a wider audience. Just wish he’d get away from his monotone presentation of the monologue.

vnvet on April 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Funny skit…But I wouldn’t put any serious thought into Fallon changing his Pro-Obama crease sniffing stripes.

workingclass artist on April 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM

NBC Comedy show
acknowledges Palin being right about Putin invading Ukraine.

NBC News ignores the fact that Palin was right about Putin invading Ukraine.

portlandon on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Trying to be objective on this point –
not that funny, aside from the Bracket joke.
She’s a good sport to play along.

But…oh yes, BUT…
I get grief here for suggesting how charmed the right continues to be by Putin. And now, here you have Palin participating in some fictional cute-sy flirtation banter. It’s just weird. Pretending to share a laugh with the Russian Pres at the expense of her President. It’s a bit tasteless. And for someone who often wraps herself in the flag, arguably unpatriotic.

I suppose as she is primarily an entertainer and pundit, she’s allowed to be flippant.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Where were you when so many libs wished death on the past president…?

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

It’s a bit tasteless.

Sure. We’re sorry.

Tsar of Earth on April 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Trying to be objective on this point –
not that funny, aside from the Bracket joke.
She’s a good sport to play along.

But…oh yes, BUT…

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

You’re never objective. You’re a moron.

“The War is Lost”

Democrat Senator and Senate Majority Leader

No that is tasteless and unpatriotic.

HumpBot Salvation on April 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Where were you when so many libs wished death on the past president…?

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

You’ve been drinking too much Guy Benson.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

v@ginajuice on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

…so says…our entertainment!

KOOLAID2 on April 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM

But…oh yes, BUT…
I get grief here for suggesting how charmed the right continues to be by Putin.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

And once again you imbecile. No one is charmed with Putin. We see him for who he is.

It’s not the right’s fault you boy wonder is a laughingstock around the world. He built that.

HumpBot Salvation on April 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Kudos to Fallon for fairness in his comedy. Sarah proves why she is such a likeable celebrity.

Tater Salad on April 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

You’re a moron.

HumpBot Salvation on April 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I poked a mama grizzly bear cub.
And got called a name.
Meh.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

[Jill Kuraitis:] Jimmy Fallon just showcased the idiot Sarah Palin AND flogged her TV show.

Fallon “flogged” Sarah Palin’s show? Last time I checked the dictionary, “to flog” meant to beat or to whip, like what Pilate had done to Jesus. If Kuraitis hates Palin so much, she should be happy if Fallon “flogged” her show. But in the use of the English language, Kuraitis is more of an “idiot” than Palin.

[Carol Terry:] However, there are just some things up with which we will not put.

A convoluted phrase too long for a tweet. Has Terry not heard of the word “tolerate”?

Here we have lefties who can’t use the English language, calling Sarah Palin an “idiot”, when Sarah Palin predicted the Russian invasion of Ukraine over five years ago.

Steve Z on April 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

The part about genes and mom jeans was the best.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Sounded like the studio audience approved.

Barnestormer on April 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I almost never read GB. Unless he posts here at HA.
Refer me to a post here that GB wrote that talks about GWB.
I’ll wait.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Wow, that was great.

Dongemaharu on April 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM

This was priceless, got right to the point and had me laughing like Jimmy Fallon never has. Between the F-150 and this, he’s trying hard to make me at least not loath him. :D

Mini-14 on April 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Flora Duh on April 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Watch it Flora D. It’s worth it, really.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I poked a mama grizzly bear cub.
And got called a name.
Meh.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Sorry scooter, I’m not calling you a name. I’m pointing out a fact. Your comment history backs me up.

HumpBot Salvation on April 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I’ve never understood the absolute hatred of Palin’s “detractors.” It is way out of proportion to anything the woman has said or done. If I am charitable, I’d say they are a ignorant group, bless their hearts.

Happy Nomad on April 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

CurtZHP on April 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM

The Russia thing never goes away. I was surprised at the gross ignorance because it is true there is a point on Alaskan soil where you can see Russia.

We were taught in grade school that Alaska was the only American State where you can actually see Russia. The Bering Strait at that point is only 55 miles between mainlands, and Russian and Alaskan islands are less than two and a half miles apart. You could take it home from your trip, that ‘I saw Russia’

I feel Palin missed big on this one. Tour guides and Alaskan politicians both work the joke. She played it like an Alaskan pol, but the spin meisters used her own lack of explanation against her to ‘prove’ she was an idiot, to the ignorant.

This has taken root in the unlearned, and now is the big proof Palin doesnt have a brain, as the twitter responses show.

She would never convince some, but she lost momentum with the way this was played, and IMHO even now she ought to unspin the urban legend, say, as a way to promote the wonders of Alaska, with a warm invite to everyone who laughed at her to come on and see for themselves

A small hook can destroy a big fish

entagor on April 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

How depraved you are. Fallon plays Putin and obama to perfection, and I don’t even watch his show, except for these reruns. Anyone who can mimic others so well is talented.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Happy Nomad on April 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

It’s because she’s a conservative with boatloads of charisma. As long as she breathes, she’s dangerous. A crucifix to vampires.

ddrintn on April 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM

If Palin was 70 pounds heavier & looked like Clair McCaskill Women voters would like her better. A fair number of Republican women would like her better as well. I think bluegill’s husband starred a little too long at Palin once, thus the unfiltered hatred.

portlandon on April 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM

entagor on April 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

She never said that about Russia. It was her SNL leftist hag role who did.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Every bit as classy and certainly more appropriate than Obama’s out loud musings over the loyal oppositions ideas.

Cindy Munford on April 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Here’s really classy, verbie. The child, who’s CiC, went fundraising during the 2nd Ft. Hood disaster. Grow up already.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Meanwhile in the real world, Putin laughs directly at the President.

Irritable Pundit on April 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM

You’ve been drinking too much Guy Benson.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Are you calling her Guy Benson or is Guy Benson a drink?

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Palin looks and acts like a fool in that segment.

The way she works her mouth and lips reminds me of the characters on the RWOA.

The way she was dressed was more appropriate for attending an aging Madonna rock tour.

The respect I once had for her erodes more every day. n

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Pretending to share a laugh with the Russian Pres at the expense of her President. And for someone who often wraps herself in the flag, arguably unpatriotic.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Oh, by all means, let’s hear the argument. “I hope he fails.”

de rigueur on April 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

The rule for comedians doing political humor should be make fun of who ever is in power….no matter which party is power.

albill on April 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Did you happen to see Obama in the Two Ferns video?

Palin is good for fund raising…and that’s about it.

albill on April 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

The respect I once had for her erodes more every day. n

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Translation: “I was a Republican all my life. But after blah blah blah, the Republicans left me…”

And I ran right into the arms of the reasonable democrats.

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I remember when old verbaldouche said this on the stinkburger thread.

But…oh yes, BUT…
I get grief here for suggesting how charmed the left continues to be by Obama. And now, here you have Obama participating in some fictional cute-sy flirtation banter. It’s just weird. Pretending to share a laugh with his base at the expense of people who represent almost half the population and are concerned about the financial track the country is on. It’s a bit tasteless. And for someone who often wraps himself in the flag and claims to be a president for both red and blue America, arguably unpatriotic.

I suppose as he is the president, he’s allowed to be flippant.

HumpBot Salvation on April 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Awesome!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Carol Terry’s sentence structure is truly interesting.

Cindy Munford on April 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM

High Treason!

“I saw Sarah Palin with the Devil! I saw Goody Proctor with the Devil! I saw Bridget Bishop with the Devil!”

Burn her!!!!

portlandon on April 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I bet she can barely sleep at night.

Cindy Munford on April 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Wow. Second look at Fallon? Might have to consider.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Hey, hey, hey. Eyes up here.

;-)

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Want to talk about tasteless? Yesterday, the Petulant Manchild used the terms “stinkburger” and “meanwich.” Almost everyday there’s another tasteless, smart alec comment. He hops at every chance to show us just show us all “with it” he is. A statesman, a mature leader does not sink into the mire of disrespect and childishness. Just try to imagine Truman or Eisenhower saying something like that. They would have lead them out in a lovely jacket with the sleeves tied ’round the back.

Jomama on April 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Happy Nomad on April 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

What is really interesting is that she has zero impact on their lives! There is nothing she can say or do that changes anything for anyone outside of her family. I wish we could say the same about The Won.

Cindy Munford on April 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Hey, hey, hey. Eyes up here.

;-)

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Heh!

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM

The way she works her mouth and lips…

The way she was dressed…

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

All important indicators

portlandon on April 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM

This is hilarious, and verbie, patriotic too.

This too

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Jomama on April 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Whoa. Petulant Manchild is a bit generous. I’d have left out the “Man” part.

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Holy cow, she’s good!

Cleombrotus on April 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Calling Bmore – please take this pic. and put a turd in it. Caption it what the Child CiC said yesterday. Thank you Bmore.

H/t Fallon of HA.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

H/t Fallon of HA.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Look at all that diveeeeeeersity behind that a$$hole.

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM

…at the expense of her President.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Good to see you, verbaluce. We’ve missed you on the

Clapper: Yeah, we’ve checked out Americans’ e-mail content, phone calls without warrants

thread under this one.

Glad to know you’re okay.

rogerb on April 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Whoa. Petulant Manchild is a bit generous. I’d have left out the “Man” part.

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Sorry. My bad.
I forgot the mom jeans were empty.

Jomama on April 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM

This is the Tonight Show. The Tonight Show is such an institution, it doesn’t NEED the favor of television executives to stay on the air. When liberals start pulling strings to get various music acts butthurt over conservatives playing their music as bumper music, they snicker that acts OK with Republicans are “old.” Being established means you don’t need to suck up to anyone for people to keep buying your artistic output.

Sekhmet on April 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Jimmy Fallon just showcased the idiot Sarah Palin AND flogged her TV show. PISSES ME OFF.

That’s a MAN, baby.

LOL

Flogged? Does “it” mean plugged?

Love hearing the pop, pop, pop of their bubbly gray matter wrestling with cognitive dissonance of a funny and articulate Sarah Palin. You know “it” wants to but just can’t laugh at Teh One, ’cause that would be racist, lol.

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Flogged? Does “it” mean plugged?

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM

That would make more sensicals (enjoy the last paragraph)

rogerb on April 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

HA’s AllahPundit, now writing Jimmy Fallon’s jokes.

Mom jeans.

TexasDan on April 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM

All in good fun. Obviously the Tonight Show’s producers thought she was perfectly relevant to joist with ‘Putin’ and needle Obama’s incompetence in the skit.

otlset on April 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Not even considering Palin:

As I recall Leno’s numbers were ho-hum until he started offering a bit of Conservative flavored humor, and watched his ratings shoot to #1 with some show recaps on FoxNews and Rush and Conservative websites.
I’ve sort of pictured the Tonight Show as geared to people a wee but older than college age and didn’t think Fallon would play at all with them. Disaster. He sure as he’ll better be Conservative friendly or at least fair or he can join Ronan Farrow in the ratings basement or Pierce Bigmouth.

Marcus on April 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Carol Terry’s sentence structure is truly interesting.

Cindy Munford on April 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM

She’s grammatically correct. It’s the proper construction of that phrase to avoid ending in a preposition. I must confess to feeling a little hope for humanity every time I hear someone use that phrase correctly.

Now if everyone can just stop saying “mute” point I will go to my grave a happy man.

TexasDan on April 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

That would make more sensicals (enjoy the last paragraph)

rogerb on April 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Daughter is a theater person. If I ever have to watch another production of Seussical, it will be too soon.

You don’t have a clear or sensical case to make…

Oh. Pardon me, lol.

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

i loved, loved, loved watching that! sarah is already such a funny person, so doing something like this was perfect for her =) i thought the segment was hilarious, i really did laugh! (i can’t believe i didn’t see the “alaska is close to russia” joke coming a mile away… lol)

Sachiko on April 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

However, there are just some things up with which we will not put.

I found a lot not Molly Ivins to like–just trying to capture the spirit of the thing–but I did like that crack after Pat Buchanan’s convention speech about its possible translation from the original German. Good for you, Jimmy Fallon. Hey Margaret Carlson (won’t link), you scabby old bat, was that Late Night enough for you?

cbenoistd on April 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Interesting how it’s liberal women who most hate Palin. Is it jealousy?

breffnian on April 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

The way she works her mouth and lips…

The way she was dressed…

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

All important indicators

portlandon on April 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM

…of who exactly has a big butt around here.

CurtZHP on April 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

It’s a bit tasteless.

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Shut up and eat your stinkburger.

ReaganWasRight on April 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Interesting how it’s liberal women who most hate Palin. Is it jealousy?

breffnian on April 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

My take (h/t kingjester). She’s the quintessential self-made woman, who appears to “have-it-all.” It’s what the left preached that they wanted for women, but so many liberal women limited their life choices to trying to be men instead of well-rounded women, and now they are childless, alone and bitter about it. Palin is the perfect target for their self-hatred.

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

But…oh yes, BUT…

verbaluce on April 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

you act as if that person really was putin and not an actor! it is just a comedy segment, so don’t take it seriously.

Palin looks and acts like a fool in that segment.

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

it’s called “being funny,” maybe you should learn how to do it…

portlandon on April 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM

thanks a lot for buying into the “women are jealous and obsessed with looks” generalization. a lot of republican women already like sarah, including me. i think it’s great that she’s attractive- it is one of the many things that sets her apart from most other politicians.

Sachiko on April 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Liar

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Awright Sarah

jake49 on April 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM

H8ers gotta H8

myiq2xu on April 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I’ll buy that. And Hillary is their idol. If she becomes president she affirms their choices.

breffnian on April 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM