Letterman packin’ it in next year

posted at 6:01 pm on April 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’m a proud Yankee-hater, but even so, I’m dreading the fawning media coverage and purple prose that’ll be devoted to this farewell tour even more than I’m dreading it for the Derek Jeter farewell tour. You know why? Because Jeter really was a great player, whereas this guy’s been batting .220 since about 1995.

He did, however, inspire the glorious Norm MacDonald parody of “Late Show” on SNL ages ago, and for that we must always be grateful.

“The man who owns this network, Leslie Moonves, he and I have had a relationship for years and years and years, and we have had this conversation in the past, and we agreed that we would work together on this circumstance and the timing of this circumstance. And I phoned him just before the program, and I said ‘Leslie, it’s been great, you’ve been great, and the network has been great, but I’m retiring,’” Letterman said according to a transcript issued by his PR rep.

“I just want to reiterate my thanks for the support from the network, all of the people who have worked here, all of the people in the theater, all the people on the staff, everybody at home, thank you very much. What this means now, is that Paul and I can be married.

“We don’t have the timetable for this precisely down – I think it will be at least a year or so, but sometime in the not too distant future, 2015 for the love of God, in fact, Paul and I will be wrapping things up.”

Entertainment Weekly wondered a year ago, almost to the day, whether Letterman would soon follow Leno out the door. He’s a few years older, after all, and the new late-night competition in Fallon, Kimmel, and Meyers is conspicuously younger. He could have stuck around and targeted an older audience while the rest fought over young adults with Stewart and Colbert, but back when I was in grade school, Letterman was the guy who was known as “edgier” than the usual late-night fare. Maybe he couldn’t stomach the thought of transitioning from that to playing overtly to grandmas in his golden years.

And so the question arises: Who’ll handle the stale-recurring-gag-and-celebrity-logrolling duties for CBS at 11:35 now? Hmmmmm:

Ace likes Ferguson. I’ve only seen him a few times but he’s an appealing guy. Another thought from Tapper:

That would be splashy, and it would follow the late-night tradition of keeping hosts on the air for decades at a time. Figure Conan, who’s been hosting shows after 11 p.m. for fully 20 years now, will do at least another 10 if he takes over for Dave. Then whoever’s hosting Weekend Update at the time will be ready to take over for him until 2055 or whatever.

There’s always Jon Stewart, of course, but why would he leave “The Daily Show”? He’s more influential than any of the broadcast network late-night hosts, and if he landed on CBS, there’d be pressure on him to revert to ye olde monologue-and-movie-star-interview format that was prescribed for American late-night television on the tablets handed down to Moses. What does he get from following Dave except a tiny bit of “major network” prestige?

Oh well. At least the inevitable Leno cameo in Letterman’s final show will be fun.

Comments

Maybe he’s gonna go do some kind of partner act with Piers….

dentarthurdent on April 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM

What will Bill Murray do…?

JohnGalt23 on April 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Won’t miss him at all.
Can’t stand him.
Don’t let the door hit ya on tha way out….

dentarthurdent on April 3, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Give the show to Greg Gutfeld.

Mark1971 on April 3, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Way past his expiration date!

Mollymaloo on April 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I like Craig Ferguson. A Scotsman who became an American and is genuinely thrilled to be an American.

So give it to . . . Ronan Farrow!

rbj on April 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I can remember staying up late every weeknight as a kid during summer vacation and watching Letterman. I tune in for a few minutes now and wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Mark1971 on April 3, 2014 at 6:10 PM

What will Bill Murray do…?

JohnGalt23 on April 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Nothing – he’s dead – killed in his own mansion during an ill-conceived practical joke while pretending to be a zombie….

dentarthurdent on April 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM

…he’s still on?
…20 years too long!

KOOLAID2 on April 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Holy Hall, I thought he was dead already.

slickwillie2001 on April 3, 2014 at 6:20 PM

In a way, this is somewhat painful. His NBC days, particularly the early ones, were brilliant. I looked forward to watching his show every night. Even Limbaugh used to rave about the guy. I thought that many years down the road, everyone would look at Letterman as a comic genius like no other, with no peers including Carson.

Couldn’t have been more wrong. After his move to CBS, his show started an agonizing decline. Never could figure out why because many of his gags were still the old classics and he came up with some clever new ones. But, for whatever reason, he ceased being funny and, even worse, interesting. I stopped paying attention altogether and then became resentful when he injected politics into the mix. Now I’ll remember him, as I think most will, as a washed up talk show hack little different than the countless others who have come and gone.

As a Gen X’er, that sucks.

Erich66 on April 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM

So give it to . . . Ronan Farrow!

rbj on April 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Ferguson’s just another liberal ahole.

slickwillie2001 on April 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Who will the Mooch select for this job ?
Rosie ? RuPaul ? Behar ? Sherri ? There must be someone she likes take that spot. Maybe we’ll know when she romps around the WH with her pick :O
The selection process will be brutal !

burrata on April 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Ferguson’s just another liberal ahole.

slickwillie2001 on April 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Read his autobiography. It’s equal parts hilarious and horrifying. He may be a liberal, but he has a lot of conservative views.

kuro_shogun on April 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM

So long, Obama-worshipping, conservative-hating troll David Letterman!

I had forgotten you were even still on television.

bluegill on April 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Who?

Cheese Wheel on April 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Since I stopped watching him about 15 years ago, I would never know the difference if I didn’t watch the news.

RBMN on April 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM

DLTDHYITAOTWO.

Minnfidel on April 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Darn,

Where am I going to go now to go listen to a cranky old bitter liberal. Well I mean other than MSNBC, Real Time, CBS, CNN etc. Going to be hard to find that.

Minnfidel on April 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Ye.. yeh got any gum?

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Dave who???

AnotherRightWingConspirator on April 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I’ll bet that Lena Dunham, Sandra Fluke and Chelsea Clinton are at the top of CBS’s list of possible replacements for Letterman.

There is little doubt that CBS is going to pick some grotesque, obnoxious liberal woman.

Pork-Chop on April 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Dave who??

AnotherRightWingConspirator on April 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Seriouly, I forgot the link? Grrr…

Ye.. yeh got any gum?

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Seriously, I can’t spell seriously?

I give up.

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I used to watch Letterman in the eighties when he was actually funny instead of an angry old liberal, but I got frustrated trying to recored his programs that seemed to rarely start on time (I didn’t like staying up all that late). However, I checked his ratings over the years and they’ve always been stellar, so go figure. I won’t miss him, because I don’t watch him or the other dweebs on late night tv.

HiJack on April 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM

..too bad. I was so-o-o-o-o-o hoping to watch the night he vapor locks on live TV.

(And, no, I do not regret my sentiments. Any worm who jokes about Sarah Palin’s daughter getting knocked up by a drug-crazed ballplayer can die and got to hell with a h@rd-on, as far as I am concerned.)

The War Planner on April 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

record, not recored. He’s not an apple.

HiJack on April 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

That was weird. First there was no link and then there was… Maybe, I should go back to the pot vs. alcohol story.

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM

The War Planner on April 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Angel lust.

HiJack on April 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Maybe now Geezerman will have enough time to get that stupid gap in his front teeth fixed. BTW, what are they going to do with his hottie quickie room?

platypus on April 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Don’t let the door hit your scrawny, unfunny ass on the way out.

TXUS on April 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Given your typing problems today, I’d guess you’re already well into one of those two substances…
;)

dentarthurdent on April 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Never liked Letterman. He’s more of a smarta$$ than a comedian and, well, anyone can be a smarta$$ so it’ll be easy peasy to replace him. Bye Bye Dave!

scalleywag on April 3, 2014 at 6:51 PM

You know what I am really going to miss? That glass breaking sound when he throws a pencil. You just can’t get comedy like that anymore. Pure genius.

Minnfidel on April 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM

So long, Obama-worshipping, conservative-hating troll David Letterman!

I had forgotten you were even still on television.

bluegill on April 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM

It must be tough being a hateful conservative some times when a majority of tv personalities are liberal. As for myself, even being a proud liberal, I can enjoy the comic styling of conservative’s like Dennis Miller without blowing a fuse. Heck I even have listen to some of Limbaugh’s rants. Don’t agree with him, but definitely recognize his talents and he is certainly easy to listen too. Lighten up, not everything has to be political.

Ric on April 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Bye, moonbat.

Philly on April 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Pork-Chop on April 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

You could be right. Add Janeane Garofalo, Sandra Bernhard and Bill Maher to the list.

mike_NC9 on April 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Don’t let the door hit your scrawny, unfunny ass on the way out.

TXUS on April 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM

He had to leave, he ran out of interns to pop in his loveshack loft.

slickwillie2001 on April 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Well damn. I just saw an interview on NBC news of all places by Jenna Bush with her father showing off his incredible paintings.

mike_NC9 on April 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

If Craig wants the job, he better bring Secretariat and Geoff Peterson with him.

The Late Late Show is the ultimate anti-talk show, in many ways more of an anti-talk show than Letterman’s incarnation of Late Night ever was. No house band, a robot announcer, and a host that plays with hand puppets.

Myron Falwell on April 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Ric on April 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I know Leno is a lib. I liked some of his stuff. Same with Kimmel or Conan. Stewart and Colbert can be funny. They’re liberal too but I can appreciate good humor. But Letterman and Maher are in no way shape or form, funny nor entertaining. Mean spirited and bitter is not something I care to see. So good riddance to him, he’s trash. I only wish Maher would go with him and they could go hang out on an island somewhere and bitch about everything and see who can be more rude than the other.

Minnfidel on April 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Lighten up, not everything has to be political.

Ric on April 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Except that it always is when Letterman’s on.

HiJack on April 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Meh – late night talk shows died when Johnny retired, so this makes no nevermind to me.

whatcat on April 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Won’t miss him.

jaywemm on April 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Cant stand Letterman.

cat_owner on April 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Yay.

SweetSensationalist on April 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Erich66 on April 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Agree completely. His 12:30 NBC show back in the early 80s had nothing in common with his current CBS persona as a dirty old Leftist unfunny perv. I used the VCR to tape his show every weeknight. The guy was a completely different human being. He was contempous of BS and puffed up celebrity phoniness. He never went into politics. He was trying to recreate the early days of live TV, especially early Steve Allen. He went into a deep nosedive as soon as he gave up drinking beer and smoking cigars. He became everything he railed against. His CBS show was pathetic from the very beginning. He became the corrupt, soulless, celeb that he loathed in his youth. A real sad study in total human decay.

vilebody on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Letterman was best as a weatherman…yup, I am that old.

hillsoftx on April 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM

So long, Dave, I hardly knew ye. Haven’t seen your show once in 32 years.

rickv404 on April 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Letterman is sh**.

M240H on April 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Bye,bye!!!

crankyoldlady on April 3, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I could care less what political party he favors, he’s just not all that funny. He’s a heh heh funny, or a smirky funny, not a laugh out loud funny, and a long way from a guffaw funny. He’s a read something while you’re watching him funny because you pretty much know you won’t miss much.

scalleywag on April 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM

vilebody on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Maybe that’s what they hired him to do.

crankyoldlady on April 3, 2014 at 8:14 PM

So true. Though I wouldn’t give him .220. Too bad jumptheshark.com isn’t around any more; that would help us pinpoint just how many thousands of shows it’s been since he started running on fumes.

Ace likes Ferguson. I’ve only seen him a few times but he’s an appealing guy.

Ferguson is far and away the best late-night guy. I used to watch him religiously, but there’s only so much late night material that can be produced without getting just a wee bit stale and repetitive. Nonetheless, CBS could do worse and probably couldn’t do better.

calbear on April 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM

One of the nice things he does is to ignore the standard, “Let’s hear about your latest project” shtick. But that might not endear him to those who value these shows for their promotional value, some of which might help make this decision.

calbear on April 3, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Carson was good. It showed the amount of work and talent that went into it. I loved Steve Allen. Yeah, I’m that old. Brilliant man.

crankyoldlady on April 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM

crankyoldlady on April 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Even Merv Griffin was better than Letterboy.

slickwillie2001 on April 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Steve Allen
Jack Parr
Kupp’s Show
Johnny Carson

And then you have…. Letterman. Foul mouthed and unfunny. *yawn*
He made going to bed the easy choice.

Pless1foEngrish on April 3, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Who cares.

PatMac on April 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Stupid human trick.

Murphy9 on April 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Never liked Letterman. Even in the early days when he was more creative he relied too much on smug in-joke humor. Then he lost the creativity and was left with only the smug.

FOAF on April 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Letterman packin’ it in next year

The only time I ever found Letterman to be funny was when Joe Piscopo imitated him.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

What is this ‘TV’ thing of which you speak?

WhatSlushfund on April 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Earlier Letterman is brilliant. The only host anywhere near Carson. His NBC show was one of the greatest things in TV history. I wish Netflix or whoever would stream some of those shows.

His show has turned to crap in recent years. The fault of his radical lesbian (yes really) executive producers and young New York Jewish writers, who all worship Obama. So they did every thing they could to copy Jon Stewart’s show in tone. Letterman also started coasting at CBS after he started making 50M a year or whatever with a zero chance of being cancelled.

But, it did get Letterman a Kennedy Center Honors thing. Uh, yay.

Been watching Letterman since ’82. Not every night since he started doing 15 minutes of John McCain/Mitt Romney jokes to start every show, and no Obama jokes. See above ‘Kennedy Center Honors’.

Letterman himself is a sold MidWesterner, Indiana stock. He spent more than one Christmas in Iraq with the troops (his righty haters always ignore this) and he has plenty of right of center views articulated on his show over the years. And not summarized on any pithy Newsbusters post.

Letterman also did a Bill Clinton intern joke in every monologue for over a decade. Why? Easy joke. Also ignored by the righty haters. I will miss him after he is gone. He influenced all of the other hosts on late night right now.

Moesart on April 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM

I’m pretty sure Rosie has some spare time…

Close your eyes and imagine ten years of THAT

PointnClick on April 4, 2014 at 3:21 AM

Or did I spell that wrong…?

PointnClick on April 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM

This talentless Leftie POS cant leave fast enough.

RdLake on April 4, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Moesart on April 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM

I’m not a right-wing hater, I just found him crass and unfunny. Leftists will laugh at anything with a laugh track.

dominigan on April 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Good riddance to Letterman; a pinko dirtbag.

earlgrey on April 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM