Mozilla CEO “resigns” after uproar over his opposition to gay marriage

posted at 4:41 pm on April 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

His opposition consisted of a $1,000 donation to support Proposition 8 in California made years ago. Over to you, John McCormack:

The difference between Eich and Obama is that. as far as we know, Eich didn’t lie to people’s faces about his views to further his own ambition. He could have publicly renounced his donation this week in the name of keeping his job, but apart from a statement about making sure that Mozilla supports everyone regardless of orientation, he didn’t. I imagine there must be some satisfaction to him in that. The ultimate goal in boycotts like these isn’t getting people fired, it’s enforcing uniformity of thought on the subject. When forced to choose, Eich evidently preferred to sacrifice his job rather than his beliefs.

In several interviews this week, Eich had insisted that he would not step down from the job he was only recently appointed to, due to the intense backlash over a $1,000 donation he made in 2008 in support of the ballot measure to ban gay marriage…

In an interview this morning, Mozilla Executive Chairwoman Mitchell Baker said that Eich’s ability to lead the company that makes the Firefox Web browser had been badly damaged by the continued scrutiny over the hot-button issue, which had actually been known since 2012 inside the Mozilla community.

“It’s clear that Brendan cannot lead Mozilla in this setting,” said Baker, who added that she would not and could not speak for Eich. “The ability to lead — particularly for the CEO — is fundamental to the role and that is not possible here.”…

Baker — who became emotional at one point during the interview — noted that she was “doing a fair amount of self-reflection and I am wondering how did I miss it that this would matter more when he was the CEO.”

Having now exorcised the demon and returned to a state of grace in the eyes of moral watchdogs like OK Cupid, Baker took to groveling to the Mozilla “community” on the site’s blog:

Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn’t live up to it. We know why people are hurt and angry, and they are right: it’s because we haven’t stayed true to ourselves.

We didn’t act like you’d expect Mozilla to act. We didn’t move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We’re sorry. We must do better.

Brendan Eich has chosen to step down from his role as CEO. He’s made this decision for Mozilla and our community.

Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech. Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard.

That’s the core of it. Eich’s free speech didn’t serve the cause of equality, therefore the company didn’t feel obliged to defend it. Free speech is valuable only insofar as it serves the right politics, an attitude shared by people far more influential than Mitchell Baker. Frankly, given that logic, why the company permits its users to access traditional marriage sites on Firefox is a mystery to me. Surely far more money has been donated to social conservative causes online, using the Firebox browser, than Brendan Eich donated to Prop 8. Why not block disfavored sites completely? Free speech is, after all, but a means to an end.

Sean Davis asks. a la McCormack:

Good question. The answer, I think, has to do with gauging what’s possible in different political subcultures. Liberals know a hard line on supporting gay marriage is apt to lose them a Senate seat in Arkansas. They’ll give Pryor a break in the name of victory — for now — just like they gave Obama a break. They don’t need to be as forgiving in left-leaning Silicon Valley. On the contrary, sacrificing the CEO of Mozilla is a ruthlessly efficient way to remind members of the tech community to toe the progressive line on hot-button issues like this one. They burned Eich pour encourager les autres.

If you oppose gay marriage (which I do not), you should treat this as a lesson that organized economic power is really your only way to make SSM fans think twice about purge-minded boycotts. You’re not going to talk them into an “agree to disagree” accommodation at this point; the trends in popular opinion are too far in their favor, and to many of them, opposing gay marriage is tantamount to opposing interracial marriage, i.e. a vestige of a system of persecution. Start by dropping Firefox, if you use it now, and go from there. If you don’t, this will keep happening.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Not my fave either. I was an Ubuntu guy. Back in the day, though, it seemed to be the most friendly to those who wanted to escape Redmond’s force field. That was why I mentioned it.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I ended up dual booting WinME and RedHat (iirc 7) back then. RH was harder to install (iirc was 6 discs) but mandrake kept failing for me.
used to like ubuntu before unity and shuttleworth deciding he was a god, but mint has really stepped up and (to me) is very polished.
I like the bling effects like wobby windows and stuff, and messing with gnome/unity never works well for me.
but I also really like win7, so I use a bunch of them just because I can :)

dmacleo on April 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Whatever browser you use, try DuckDuckGo to avoid ad tracking.

I have my Opera search set to default to DDG, works great and no targeted ads anymore.

fred5678 on April 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Allahpundit, I think it’s lame that you felt the need to add that you do not oppose gay marriage. Why did you do that? I feel it’s pandering on some level when essayists toss in these admissions. Why does it matter? It smells like cowardice, or pandering, or both. It’s irrelevant to this story what you believe.

VirginiaPlain on April 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM

It’s just his personal opinion. Why shouldn’t he be allowed to express it here like anyone else?

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM

We have been assimilated.

Turn yourself in.

faraway on April 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Good-bye Firefox.

Carnac on April 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I like Windows 7 and 8.1. Don’t see the reason for such hate of 8. It starts much faster for me than 7 did.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 6:51 PM

It depends if you use a touch-screen interface or not. But 8.1 has a patch that allows booting into the Desktop interface, which is best for non-touch.

theCork on April 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM

and….uninstalled.

Zaggs on April 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM

The problem with switching to Chrome is that put in the same position, I have no doubt Google would fold like a cheap lawn chair also.

pgrossjr on April 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM

So basically this is the modern equivalent of the “Republic of Virtue”. Didn’t end well for Robespierre if I recall.

codewhisperer on April 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Whatever browser you use, try DuckDuckGo to avoid ad tracking.

fred5678 on April 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Actually.. Firefox has been giving me problems a lot lately. For some reason it crashes a lot on this site and the Glen Beck site. Other times it just loads so slow.

How I know it’s firefox is because when I use internet explorer ever thing moves pretty fast and there are no crashes. I hate to use IE though.

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I boot to the tile interface and then select desktop. For me, time to get to the desktop is actually shorter in 8 than in 7. Not sure why that is.

My mouse is of the newer generation designed to work with 8 and I do like that.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

VirginiaPlain on April 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I agree. I don’t think gay marriage is relevant to the story. This is a larger story about how the left will assimilate you or kill you. This is how totalitarianism is born. Gays are just the tools being used to do this. Why do you think the IRS records were leaked to a professional gay victim group. Can’t have a conservative in the position of power. It might influence the internet, and Google is already quite leftists.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Traditional Jews, Catholics, Christians and Muslims will be next targeted for 15 minutes of a hate. They’ll go after public individuals to silence the rest. Attending a church will get you fired or deny you promotions.

This was the plan all along. Some leftist publications salivated over this attack plan 25 years ago when I was reading them.

theCork on April 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Until recently-I was a strong supporter of civil unions.
That time is over-because homosexual aren’t happy with ‘live and let live’ instead they DEMAND that you whole-heartedly accept their deviant lifestyle…and then use mob tactics to take down those who refuse.
I’m DONE.
ENOUGH!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

If you oppose gay marriage (which I do not),

Of course not. Why would anyone oppose happy and joyous weddings? Oh you mean the pretend marriages attempting to legitimize sexual deviancy.

#gheythread

Nutstuyu on April 3, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Whatever browser you use, try DuckDuckGo to avoid ad tracking.

fred5678 on April 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Even if you are on Firefox browser as I am, Hotair runs three Google scripts on every page that I block with NoScript, and Hotair inserts tracking cookies from Google that I block with Disconnect.

slickwillie2001 on April 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Why didn’t he just say he has evolved!

Sven on April 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Until recently-I was a strong supporter of civil unions.
I’m DONE.
ENOUGH!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Gay activists and leftists have a way of doing that to people.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Start by dropping Firefox, if you use it now

Was gonna do that anyway since it seems to mess up my HotAir connection for some reason, but now it’s a done deal.

Cleombrotus on April 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM

davidk on April 3, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Judging by the comments, I sense a backlash coming to Mozilla.

monalisa on April 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

What she said. Now coming to you on my new Opera browser. Embrace the suck? Don’t think so.

rottenrobbie on April 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Judging by the comments, I sense a backlash coming to Mozilla.

monalisa on April 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Already happening.. See #uninstalled on twitter..

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Which is better-Google Chrome or Opera?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I support gay rights, including equal marriage rights, but I will never use Firefox again after this. If someone with his record can be removed for donating $1,000 to a cause six years ago, then we have a serious problem.

DisneyFan on April 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Can you please tell me what gay rights are? These are special rights that they want over regular citizens correct? Because I know of no rights a gay person does not have that a heterosexual does. And no, marriage is not a right. Even if it was I have no more rights to marriage as a gay person does. I cannot marry another man.

When the government starts preventing gays from owning a gun or practicing free speech etc., I’ll be the first one to fight for their cause.

The Notorious G.O.P on April 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

The disturbing thing about this story is that people who have actual talent in their professions and do not tow the party line in their personal lives are considered expendable to the greater glory of a social cause. It’s like the mathematicians and scientists from the old USSR that had to seek asylum in the West. It ultimately brought down the Soviet economy because of a brain drain.

OliverB on April 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Judging by the comments, I sense a backlash coming to Mozilla.

monalisa on April 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Already happening.. See #uninstalled on twitter..

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Damn, I am overtired, and now I am redundant as well.. :)

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Well that’s sort of the point of the entire discussion… isn’t it?

AP can’t just let his opinion be assumed – he HAS to say it or else he’s afraid he’ll be called a bigot which would be just WRONG. It’s THOSE people who are against SSM that are the bigots.

Right?

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

You’re spot-on…this particular story has nothing to do with gay marriage. It’s about a dating website that posted a note to those accessing their website using FireFox about the browser’s CEO and his apparent anti-gay something….I don’t even remember what it was, something stoopit. It went viral…and Mozilla went full “damage control” and most likely asked the CEO to resign.

It’s a bigger story than it ever should have been. I’ve been using FF for a long time, I’m just used to it. And I’ll continue to use it with the CEO gone, and I would have continued to use it if the CEO stayed on. I like it…just like I wouldn’t boycott Heinz Ketchup because Kerry’s wife’s family runs it.

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM

For any fans of the old Opera interface, there is Otter Browser. I haven’t tried it myself, just sharing.

non-nonpartisan on April 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM

If you think about a-holes all day, you’ll soon become one.

faraway on April 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM

OliverB on April 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Yup. This is one of the reasons I think this country is headed downhill fast. From business to academia to art, it is quickly becoming the case that only one POV on many issues is considered acceptable. If you disagree, you are removed. Dark times are ahead.

DisneyFan on April 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Cleombrotus on April 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Yeah.. that’s what I just posted up there. Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes to get on HotAir. Then when I get on I can’t log on it freezes and all my pages crash.

The only reason I haven’t dumped firefox yet is because of all my bookmarks. I am a hoarder of bookmarks. So.. tomorrow I am going to write down all my book marks and then uninstall FF. I guess I will try Opera for lack of a better one now. This was the push I needed.

I wish there was some way to import bookmarks to another browser.

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Don’t be obtuse – He gave money to proposition 8 which you publically pilloried here and it started long before OKCupid got involved with employees and board members threatening to resign.

It has EVERYTHING to do with gay marriage.

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Right?

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Oh, settle down. You’re reading way too much into it.

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Now we need the CEO of Disqus to be forced to resign for supporting traditional marriage, so conservative sites can drop that commenting system like a bad habit!

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM

And yet ANOTHER victory for the new America! Conservatives go down in flames again. Do you guys ever get tired of losing. You know stomping your feet and yelling about switching back to AOL may make you feel better but it accomplishes nothing.

The cause of America’s downfall is not the rise of the neo-comm left, it is the cowardice of the modern day self described conservative.

ClassicCon on April 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

sailwind ‏@wmirick 9m

I honestly first thought of Pastor Martin Niemöller and his “First they came..” On the Eich story. That’s pretty darn disconcerting #Mozilla

davidk on April 3, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I’m now on opera.
The laptop is still using firefox. That’ll change soon.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM

It has EVERYTHING to do with gay marriage.

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM

C’mon, I am against gay leftists as well, but do you think this wouldn’t have happened if say he gave $1000 to a pro-life group (he would be pilloried for being anti-woman) or he gave $1000 to an anti-affirmative action group (racism)? The left uses what ever means necessary to take down anyone that doesn’t think like they do. If it takes a charge of homophobia then fine. If they have to pull out racism then fine.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I liked Disqus even though I rarely use it. I say “liked” because I noticed the recent development where they stoppped recording the number of down votes comments would receive. Sadly, our nation is becoming wimpier all the time.

non-nonpartisan on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Oh, settle down. You’re reading way too much into it.

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Then why inject it at all?

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I wish there was some way to import bookmarks to another browser.

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM

How to import Firefox bookmarks to Opera – in 5 minutes and never go back.

faraway on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM

No, I don’t.

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM

someone tell jellytoast she can export her bookmarks and import them into almost any browser. please don’t write them all down.

brushingmyhair on April 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM

It has EVERYTHING to do with gay marriage.

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM

No.. I agree with JetBoy on this.. this is more than about gay marriage. This is about the attack on the freedom of thought.
Today it’s gay marriage.. tomorrow it’s about some other leftist cause and then it’s about simply being a Christian or a Republican or a conservative or just somebody who didn’t vote for the right President.

It could be about anything.. it could be about painting your house blue for that matter. Don’t get distracted with the issue at large.. the true issue.. the one hidden that is really under assault.. is freedom of thought. Being allowed to have an opposing view point. This CEO didn’t beat up anybody.. he didn’t kill anybody.. he didn’t take drugs or cheat on his wife.. he simply donated money to what some consider an unpopular political cause! but it’s not even that unpopular! The political issue won at the ballot and was struck down by a judge.. but so what? Are we allowed to have unpopular political opinions and still keep our jobs?

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Yep, leftists don’t care about equality. They use victim groups and minorities like a sledgehammer, and the leftist tools go along with it. It could have been women, Hispanics or blacks.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM

non-nonpartisan on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Interesting, although I think you’re right on the wimpy point, I think the removal of downvotes was an improvement. Now I would like it to get rid of upvotes too!

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

faraway on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Thanks! bookmarked it!

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Then why inject it at all?

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

This is a site where the bloggers speak their opinions on all sorts of issues. And registered commenters like us speak our opinions…whether or not our opinions are shared by one or more bloggers here at HotAir. Why is it such a problem? Had Allahpundit said “which I do” instead of “which I do not” would you still be fussing about it?

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM

What a cop out. You’re always saying how you don’t support this heavy handed thug act by the gay community. Whatever bullshit you were trying to rationalize doesn’t cut it.

Lets recap. A man who co-founded a company was driven from even being associated with it over his opinion and donation to a cause. Be proud. You’re a SS Trooper in the most powerful victims community in all of recorded history.

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Until it’s illegal to believe and say some things.

Good question to ask of the man whose life your community just carpet bombed over an opinion.

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Pathetic.

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Aren’t we supposed to ignore each other, per your request?

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM

It has EVERYTHING to do with gay marriage.

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM

It isn’t any simpler than that. Put any lipstick on the pig you want. Gays just destroyed another man’s life.

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Homosexual mafia is 2% of the population. So FF market share must be dropping close to that number.

Kaffa on April 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM

dmacleo on April 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I used to love VMWare server. I still use a VMWare freebie but now you can only run 1 machine at a time. It is the very best way to try out an OS.

When I did Windows development it was a true life saver. Never had to worry much about registry getting messed up. Back up the VM often and you’re never in trouble. Also great to give a development environment to a new teammate. No muss, no fuss. Same goes for deployment at a customer site.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Aren’t we supposed to ignore each other, per your request?

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

A rule you never stuck with when you had a chance to poke a comment. Are you afraid of how embarrassingly hypocritical your comments are on the matter?

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Andrew Sullivan – The Hounding Of A Heretic

The guy who had the gall to express his First Amendment rights and favor Prop 8 in California by donating $1,000 has just been scalped by some gay activists. After an OKCupid decision to boycott Mozilla, the recently appointed Brendan Eich just resigned under pressure:

[snip]

Will he now be forced to walk through the streets in shame? Why not the stocks? The whole episode disgusts me – as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today – hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else – then count me out. If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us.

Flora Duh on April 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Because the homosexual lobby is pretty close to being the rulers of the world masquerading as a powerless oppressed group.
And I mean that seriously. Homosexual behavior is dominantly a vice of the rich and powerful, on back through history.

Count to 10 on April 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Whoopsie to those who kept chiming in to tell me that the IRS illegally exposed this contribution. Check out the new thread.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Andrew Sullivan – The Hounding Of A Heretic

Flora Duh on April 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Dang, that is telling.

JB, why does Sullivan get this before you do?

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Props for owning up.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Today it’s gay marriage.. tomorrow it’s about some other leftist cause

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Agreed 100%.

DisneyFan on April 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Really? When was the last time the pro-life movement ruined someone’s life over a donation to Planned Parenthood?

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Which is better-Google Chrome or Opera?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Been years since I used Opera so I couldn’t say. I love Chrome. However, if your choice of browser is a political decision I am sure you would want to avoid Chrome.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM

For the sake of diversity, we all must agree!!

Axeman on April 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Props for owning up.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Actually it was a gloat :-)

I had no idea one way or the other and said as much.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM

He was speaking his opinion… he went out of his way to speak his opinion when he offered up his ideas for retaliation which, I presume, he would not be taking part in because he’s all for SSM.

Honestly, I don’t care how he feels one way or another – It’s a mind control problem that points to a larger issue about how much our interpersonal lives or thoughts are already being guarded as part of “thought crimes”.

To wit – He’d be harassed, blackballed, and attacked constantly until his voice was minimized for his anti-gay views. Just like the (now ex)CEO and you know it!

That’s why AP had to explicitly point out his position while pointing out how to retaliate.

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I have no desire to change or affect any adult’s viewpoint. Reason I mention adults is because……. I do have a lot of influence on my children’s viewpoints. While I have no need to change “your” viewpoint, I do have a desire to understand viewpoints different from my own. Problem for me is that while I try very hard to have understanding of those with different positions, I rarely meet folks that respect my viewpoints that differ.

Most folks that speak of tolerance or diversity……..hide behind their desires for monolithic uniformity. Argue all you want while being blinded in one eye……I just ain’t got the energy to play in that ball field any more. Carry on and time for me to head on back to Bow Legs.

HonestLib on April 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

thought vmware player (the free one) allowed running more than one, only used it a bit so not sure.
have vmware workstation installed right now and presently have win8, winxp, and win7 vms running (doing updates) on top of my base win7 install.
virtualbox is good free one and allows running multiple, just doesn’t have autoboot (easily) when host starts like vmware workstation does.

dmacleo on April 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Melle is comparing the gay movement with the PP movement or the AA movement.

Not the pro-life movement.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

The damage is not done. I just deleted Firefag from my PC.

F_This on April 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You’re the one “poking a comment” to me here…not the other way around. I haven’t been conversing with you in this thread, and you’ve labelled me a “Nazi” with your SS Trooper reference. And I thought the liberals had dibs on crud like that.

You’re free to have all the contempt for me that you can muster. I really don’t care. When you can act like an adult, and ask questions or make points instead of toss out grade school insults, I’ll be happy to reply to you.

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Just de-installed Firefox on my Windows 7 system. Guess I’ll get used to Chrome eventually. A shame really as I liked the browser, but I now see the Firefox logo as a fascist icon and couldn’t stand seeing it on my toolbar.

mpthompson on April 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

It will be about energy consumption.

davidk on April 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

It’s always about thought crime and has been forever.

In the 70′s it was misogyny
In the 60′s it was racism
In the 50′s it was communism
In the 40′s it was Hitler
In the 30′s it was the rich (hah)
In the 20′s it was alcohol
… etc; etc
You can always generalize the position which is what Jetboy wants to do here because he supports gay marriage but also supports free enterprise so he has to reframe the debate in a way he can tolerate it.

But that deprives it of any meaning because Jetboy is tacitly supporting people who are anti-gay marriage.

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Melle is comparing the gay movement with the PP movement or the AA movement.

Not the pro-life movement.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Thank you, yes I was.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Heh… Notice nobody is saying they’re going to switch to IE? :)

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Honestly..the last couple versions are pretty good. Microsoft has really turned it around because of competition from Mozilla and Google. The problem is perception.

I get it from someone who isn’t technically inclined but the basement dwelling neckbeard posers who infest my industry still spout bullcrap as if its still 2005.

Lay-Z on April 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM

You just have a hard time understanding a comment? No kidding JetBoy. You noted the rule and I noted you didn’t much recognize it. Did I say anything about this thread?

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

When I act like an adult? Yawn. You’re pathetic. You want me to go link to some of your famous comments? “Homophobe” “Bible-Thumper” “Unhinged” “Bigot” Please! Liberal tactic to accuse someone of the very thing they do. The point remains. You sell big wolf tickets about how you oppose all of this heavy handed crap from your community. Then in the way of actual comments in opposition to the behavior you … produce … zero. A gigantic goose egg in condemnation for acts like this.

Be proud. You’re part of the strongest and riches, most powerful victims group on the planet.

And really, you can’t answer to save your life anyway. You evade, you obfuscate. You bullshit around your opinion.

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM

dmacleo on April 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Well i didn’t really like it for whatever that’s worth, which is why i’m using mint :p And yeah, seems like printers are always a pain, luckily my old hp is supported with hplip so i’m good to go with most of the popular distros.

clearbluesky on April 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM

He should have evolved, like gay obama.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM

JB, why does Sullivan get this before you do?

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Apparently you missed my first reaction to this whole story:

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Nation of Idiots

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Today it’s gay marriage.. tomorrow it’s about some other leftist cause

JellyToast on April 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Tomorrow is already today.

Orwell warned you.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Melle is comparing the gay movement with the PP movement or the AA movement.

Not the pro-life movement.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Thank you, yes I was.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You’ve confused me.

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Good night America.

You are no longer a free land.

Heck, Zimbabwe is freer. It has no mandate.

Quit bragging about the 1st amendment.

Putin figured you all out.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

What don’t you like about the voting? 90% of the time I signed into Disqus, it was to vote a comment down. =)

non-nonpartisan on April 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM

JetBoy is caught in a hard position, since he’s on record as supporting gay actions against such things as “Crosses of taunt.”

But this is nothing new with Eich. I spent a considerable time on Ars Technica, a leading techie site, and the attitude there is that Eich, and everyone else who believes like him, are bigots and are not fit for society.

That supporting traditional marriage means you are a bigot, and are like the Klan. Seriously, they regard anyone who does not embrace SSM as the Klan. They state that Eich was trying to “dehumanize” gays; that he’s no different than trying to lynch people and send them to the ovens.

That’s the rhetoric they are using. Anyone who believes that will have no compunction about sending all of us to the ovens, because they regard it as the noble, moral thing to do.

The Nazi’s thought (and I am not godwinning this discussion, because they really are comparing those who don’t agree to Nazi’s) that killing Jews was a moral thing to do. Gay activists are ginning up comparisons to those who do not agree as inherently bigoted, not worthy of anything. This is really frightening, since while claiming to be victims, who really has the political power? It’s them.

I asked them: doesn’t this mean that no devout Mormon, Catholic, or other Christian should be allowed to have a job with public interactions or power over others, and they basically said no, because we are all bigots.

That’s where we are: they want to deny us jobs now, quite openly.

Fascists.

Vanceone on April 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Until recently-I was a strong supporter of civil unions.
I’m DONE.
ENOUGH!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Gay activists and leftists have a way of doing that to people.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Heteronormative is now a thought crime.

workingclass artist on April 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM

non-nonpartisan on April 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I comment on one site that leans left and I got downvoted a lot. Instead of getting replies.
So to me, it enabled wimpy behavior.

It didn’t stop me, but it was a nice change.

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I hereby renounce my support of same sex marriage. If this is what gays do with marriage equality. They don’t deserve it.

Lamont Cranston on April 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Then why did you reply to me in the first place?

JetBoy on April 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Putin figured you all out.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 8:03 P

Step back from the ledge, Francis.

Putin is the greatest modern statesman, this is true.

However, companies bend over backwards all the time to be PC. Think about restaurants, low level even, like an Applebees or Red Robin. They will have desperate managers refund people’s meals at the slightest complaint. So afraid of losing the low-lifes’ $5 lunch.

CEOs do the same thing and resign because they do not need the money. It makes no difference to them if they are employed, because most of their income is through stocks and benefits.

Mozilla is sensitive to this kind of customer pressure, and the CEO left. So what.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Thank you, yes I was.

melle1228 on April 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Sorry melle, sort of skipped your part.

hawkdriver on April 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Well, y’all can count me among the former users of Firefox. I’ll be damned if I’ll lend the teeniest bit of support to the militant homosexuals and those who kow tow to them. I’m using the lesser of two evils in Google Chrome, at least for now. I suppose I’ll need to research the best available freebie browser, not being the biggest fan of Google either. I am proud to be one of y’all who prefers to stay on the wrong side of history and resist the scourge of moral depravity and the collapse of human dignity that is engulfing our once great nation. But what do I know? I’m just one of those intolerant, racist, homophobic, islamophobic, teabagging, gun totin’, Bible clinging, right wingnut Palinistas who believes in the traditional American values and morals that made us the greatest nation in the history of the world. And it was fun while it lasted, too…

bimmcorp on April 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

And you need free speech to fight for equality.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM

The muzzies will chop your heads off, soon enough. You asked for it.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I saw earlier that someone mentioned PaleMoon, a Firefox alternative based on its code. If you like FF and can stomach the proximity, Cyberfox (64bit), lawlietfox (my favorite), and pcxFirefox are other versions worth considering in my opinion.

Lunascape allows the use of FF add-ons. Haven’t tried it in years, and wasn’t very impressed when I did.

non-nonpartisan on April 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM

nosense w/b more apt.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM

To hell with these fascists. They win the ‘right’ to marry, and still that’s not good enough. Of course, we all knew equality was never the goal…criminalizing thought and differing opinion, punishing those with differing views and assuring themselves special-not equal-status was, and continues to be. It makes me sick to my stomach that they can force someone out of a job simply because said someone doesn’t agree with them on an issue. How is that any different than the discrimination they purport to fight?

Unbelievable.

changer1701 on April 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM

VirginiaPlain on April 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I often don’t agree with Allahpundit, but I see his point here. It actually works as a strengthener, showing that it is a completely moral objection not colored by preference.

That’s also self-referential, because I started out with a difference from Allahpundit. Thus, it’s not part of a tendency to take Allah’s side, but an actual recognition of the effectiveness of stating agreements and disagreements.

But that aside, I was warning people that we were going down the rabbit-hole of STUPID with the gay marriage debate. And good ol’ Hot Gas was right there with its constant, stupid “gay marriage ban” language. When you munge everything together and put it under the cryptic “equality” banner, with an appeal to use less and less discretion, ignore wider and wider differences all for the goal under that vapid banner, you’re welcoming stupid in the door.

Take for example how the administration finally achieved “equality” of coverage between the sexes: by covering me for pregnancy and hysterectomies. Thus my paying more for coverage I’ll never use, makes me “equal”.

Axeman on April 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM

He should have evolved, like gay obama.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM

My guess is they tried to “save” him with that out, and he refused to go along.

non-nonpartisan on April 3, 2014 at 8:17 PM