Mozilla CEO “resigns” after uproar over his opposition to gay marriage

posted at 4:41 pm on April 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

His opposition consisted of a $1,000 donation to support Proposition 8 in California made years ago. Over to you, John McCormack:

The difference between Eich and Obama is that. as far as we know, Eich didn’t lie to people’s faces about his views to further his own ambition. He could have publicly renounced his donation this week in the name of keeping his job, but apart from a statement about making sure that Mozilla supports everyone regardless of orientation, he didn’t. I imagine there must be some satisfaction to him in that. The ultimate goal in boycotts like these isn’t getting people fired, it’s enforcing uniformity of thought on the subject. When forced to choose, Eich evidently preferred to sacrifice his job rather than his beliefs.

In several interviews this week, Eich had insisted that he would not step down from the job he was only recently appointed to, due to the intense backlash over a $1,000 donation he made in 2008 in support of the ballot measure to ban gay marriage…

In an interview this morning, Mozilla Executive Chairwoman Mitchell Baker said that Eich’s ability to lead the company that makes the Firefox Web browser had been badly damaged by the continued scrutiny over the hot-button issue, which had actually been known since 2012 inside the Mozilla community.

“It’s clear that Brendan cannot lead Mozilla in this setting,” said Baker, who added that she would not and could not speak for Eich. “The ability to lead — particularly for the CEO — is fundamental to the role and that is not possible here.”…

Baker — who became emotional at one point during the interview — noted that she was “doing a fair amount of self-reflection and I am wondering how did I miss it that this would matter more when he was the CEO.”

Having now exorcised the demon and returned to a state of grace in the eyes of moral watchdogs like OK Cupid, Baker took to groveling to the Mozilla “community” on the site’s blog:

Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn’t live up to it. We know why people are hurt and angry, and they are right: it’s because we haven’t stayed true to ourselves.

We didn’t act like you’d expect Mozilla to act. We didn’t move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We’re sorry. We must do better.

Brendan Eich has chosen to step down from his role as CEO. He’s made this decision for Mozilla and our community.

Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech. Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard.

That’s the core of it. Eich’s free speech didn’t serve the cause of equality, therefore the company didn’t feel obliged to defend it. Free speech is valuable only insofar as it serves the right politics, an attitude shared by people far more influential than Mitchell Baker. Frankly, given that logic, why the company permits its users to access traditional marriage sites on Firefox is a mystery to me. Surely far more money has been donated to social conservative causes online, using the Firebox browser, than Brendan Eich donated to Prop 8. Why not block disfavored sites completely? Free speech is, after all, but a means to an end.

Sean Davis asks. a la McCormack:

Good question. The answer, I think, has to do with gauging what’s possible in different political subcultures. Liberals know a hard line on supporting gay marriage is apt to lose them a Senate seat in Arkansas. They’ll give Pryor a break in the name of victory — for now — just like they gave Obama a break. They don’t need to be as forgiving in left-leaning Silicon Valley. On the contrary, sacrificing the CEO of Mozilla is a ruthlessly efficient way to remind members of the tech community to toe the progressive line on hot-button issues like this one. They burned Eich pour encourager les autres.

If you oppose gay marriage (which I do not), you should treat this as a lesson that organized economic power is really your only way to make SSM fans think twice about purge-minded boycotts. You’re not going to talk them into an “agree to disagree” accommodation at this point; the trends in popular opinion are too far in their favor, and to many of them, opposing gay marriage is tantamount to opposing interracial marriage, i.e. a vestige of a system of persecution. Start by dropping Firefox, if you use it now, and go from there. If you don’t, this will keep happening.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

No, no I won’t. I’ll just say that if the info was disclosed illegally, I should hope and think that he has grounds to sue the leaker. Nothing else changes as far as what I have said.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Nothing else changes?

Someone is fired for their political views and you think that’s a sign of a healthy society?

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

These internet and computer geeks are all socialists. Dropping Firefox won’t make any difference because they are all alike.

crankyoldlady on April 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

but gay marriage bullies think that anyone who opposes gay marriage is automatically a bad person.

Sachiko on April 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Psychotic liberals think anyone who opposes anything on the left’s agenda is a bad person.

darwin on April 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I think that a healthy society allows people to boycott a CEO’s business who they are offended by. It is up to the business to decide it the price of retaining him is too high. That is their voluntary decision as well.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM

This was not a simple boycott. This was an organized action to bully the organization into dumping this guy to show how “with it” they are on the gay fascist agenda. If they didn’t have power disproportionate to their numbers (due to the media and our government), they would not have succeeded. Hence “bullies”.

GWB on April 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Just started a new job in Feb. I had to do a *mandatory* diversity training. Complete with a “tolerance” scale and how evil I was supposed to feel just merely “tolerating” someone.

Oddly enough, as a white heterosexual male, I felt that this training course was supposed to indoctrinate me – yet I feel that soon, my opinions and feelings are going to be the ones that are going to be in need of tolerance.

Defenestratus on April 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Here’s the reason to tell Mozilla why and what you are doing:

avagreen on April 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Sachiko on April 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I can agree that they are bullies and I get the displeasure here. But I don’t see them violating anyone’s rights (aside from the IRS leak, if true). This is not fascism as so many have cried. This is a free society, bullies, bigots and all.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM

You’re number 3. Nothing above states that the info was leaked, illegally or otherwise. Do you have evidence that it was?

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM

National Organization for Marriage PR from Oct 13, 2013 announcing it was suing the IRS over leaking the list

Reno_Dave on April 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM

CEO makes statement that offends a whole lot of people. Those people decide to boycott him. Sounds like the free market of ideas to me.

This dude has the right to speak freely and consumers have the right to express their displeasure. So everyone got to take their rights out for some nice exercise.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

And as Athos has cleared up a judge made his “private” donation public.

But it’s good to know that you think a healthy society involves your job being contingent on your political activity and thoughts being in line with leftist fascists. Real champion of an open society you are.

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM

The Mozilla Foundation is a California non-profit corporation exempt from Federal income taxation under IRC 501(c)(3). It is governed by its Board of Directors.
Board of Directors

Mitchell Baker, Chair
Brian Behlendorf
Joi Ito
Bob Lisbonne
Cathy Davidson

d1carter on April 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM

GWB on April 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Bullies, yes. Fascists, no.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Kensington on April 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I’ve been noticing a lot of reaping from sowing or Karma, if you will, lately. I will sit here quietly and enjoy the hell out of it when it happens.

Cindy Munford on April 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I will be dropping Firefox as soon as I get everything transferred to a new browser.

myiq2xu on April 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM

MJBrutus

Dell Desktop – Inspiron 580S
Intel core 3.2 GHz
64 bit
6 GB

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Did I mention Militant gays are a drag. Well they are. Always destroying never building. Well they do fling poo like apes in a zoo.

Bmore on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

A ballot measure that was so wildly unpopular in the State of California that it actually passed and had to be repealed via judicial fiat.

CycloneCDB on April 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM

good point. the gay marriage bullies always forget about that.

Sachiko on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM

This is fascism. These same people push government action all the time to enforce their views on others.

And a free society is more than just a government that doesn’t take sides (and the government did take sides – the judge outed Eich) – it’s a society that chooses openness and tolerance.

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

If you oppose gay marriage (which I do not)…

Is it okay if I giggled a bit at the interjected, explanatory, qualifying remark? Actually, I guffawed, but is it okay?

Fallon on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I’m a free software fan boy. Have you looked at a Linux distro? Mandrake is a good one for a transition from Windows.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Another overwrought post from AP.

This, what some might say, is the result of the marketplace of ideas nuking a target.

They are free to do so.

It has nothing to do with free speech. The CEO was not arrested, nor was there a law passed banning his speech.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

He co-founded the company. Palace coup, hostile takeover, inside job–nothing noble here, Mozilla.

cbenoistd on April 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Judge: Prop 8 Donors have no rights to anonymity

Huffington Post publishes complete list of Yes on Prop 8 Donors in article titled – ‘Find out who backed California’s anti-gay marriage amendment’

Athos on April 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM

OK, I’m back on my TOR browser.

Goodbye, FF.

avagreen on April 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Do you want to see the face of real evil?

Michelle Baker of Mozilla. H8′er, extraordinaire.

chuckh on April 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Bullies, yes. Fascists, no.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM

They want to use the power of government to enforce this sort of thinking. You don’t think that’s fascist? Totalitarian at the least?

GWB on April 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I stand informed and corrected by Athos. (I had forgotten about the activist judge releasing that info.)

GWB on April 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Dammit, in a rush –
Here’s the link to HuffPo article in quotes above

Athos on April 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Another overwrought post from AP.

They are free to do so.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, the market place of ideas. Where you lose your job for having ideas. That’s not a sign of a healthy society.

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Iron

Bmore on April 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Here is more from an insider on the Mozilla horror:

chuckh on April 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM

The gay marriage activists are often the biggest bigots of all!

bluegill on April 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Here is more from an insider on the Mozilla horror:
chuckh on April 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Whoah. What timing.

bluegill on April 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Allah – unless you’re gay, I really cannot see how you still support this position.

It’s no longer about “pursuit of happiness”. If that was true, what about Eich’s?

Supporting SSM is officially fascistic.

This why I’ve always referred to it as ghey mirage. It’s part of a cultural fantasy based in transhumanism and not sexual orientation.

The French are right.

budfox on April 3, 2014 at 5:18 PM

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Well then I’m sure you’ll agree that it’s perfectly legitimate for CEOs to just force people to resign of they don’t like their views.

Correct? If not why not?

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 5:18 PM

GWB on April 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I am only going by what AP said above. I don’t see any government force involved.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Demonizing our founding principles… I smell a flaming turd who ate a dog.

Key West Reader on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

We should forgive such old mistakes, and pay no attention to current silences. Let us remember that the values that made gay liberation possible were decency and love and not punitive judgementalism.

thuja on April 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

You should forgive people for their convictions? How magnanoumous of you.

Screw you. Screw anything gay and your entire Nazi movement.

I’m done dealing with their mafia tactics.

smoothsailing on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Just downloaded Opera. Looks pretty good….

d1carter on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

We’ve got a thug on the senate floor demonizing private citizens with the intent to silence opposing viewpoints and donations and now his minions demonizing and threatening the livelihood of anyone who disagrees with them.

This won’t end as well as the thugs think. It never does.

HumpBot Salvation on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

If he had donated to planned parenthood I wonder how many here would be shrieking “fascist” right now.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM

This is disingenuous even for you.

You have never heard a pro-life/anti-abort person threaten a boycott of a company because of a personal donation that an executive made.

We certainly choose to boycott companies who have pro-abortion policies or corporate giving policies that promote abortion, but we’re not into having individuals fired for their own pro-abort beliefs.

You for example- do you honestly think that pro-lifers should call your boss and insist you be fired because you’re pro-abortion? It has nothing to do with the company, but so what? Pro-lifers are just sooooo intolerant, they require you, MJB, be fired or they’ll bring your company to its knees. (Would you still be celebrating that free market thing?)

Yes, I kind of like the idea of having you fired under threat of boycott because you support baby-killing. Seem very likely? Ever heard of it happening? No, of course not. But its apparently a popular tactic among your fellow travelers.

Pless1foEngrish on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Either a totally disingenuous or utterly stupid comment.

rrpjr on April 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I hope Eich gets a job from a conservative software dev. I know that they must exist somewhere. I also hope they pay better.

nobar on April 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Damn, and I’m not a fan of Google because of that weasel Eric Schmidt

crankyoldlady on April 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I’ve been working in IT for 17 years. I have several industry certifications and have managed datacenters for billion dollar companies. I’m also an Army veteran, practicing Catholic, and considered myself pretty a hardcore conservative. Well, enough to annoy my communist mother-in-law.

So no, not all computer geeks are socialists.

Lay-Z on April 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Just downloaded Opera. Looks pretty good….

d1carter on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I use Chrome. I’m not about to change, however much I may dislike Google’s politics :-)

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Well, I’m in trouble. I refuse to support any perverts – in anything! The very idea of same-sex “marriage” is stupid in the extreme. Oh, where is that damn gene!?

However, Firefox is the only browser that can prevent auto-refresh, currently. What a conundrum!

OldEnglish on April 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Yeah, it’s just the left making society more closed and shutting someone else out of society. There’s nothing fascistic about that right? And it’s not like they’re trying to get the government involved as much as possible on this issue.

/sarc

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM

All of you RINOs who talk about individual freedoms here, screw you too. You’re pathetic posers.

smoothsailing on April 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Idiots like Allahpundit who believe in gay marriage also unwittingly subscribe to a binary view of human sexuality that sprung up in the late 19th century.

Our phrenologists rule social discourse and see not what chaos they sow.

StubbleSpark on April 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Pless1foEngrish on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Another perk of work being in my rear view mirror. I can’t be fired :-)

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Athos on April 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Thanks. I remember that happening. However, I think NOM made the case that HRC leaked data that only the IRS would have had access to. Whether or not that was the case with Eich, I guess we don’t or can’t know at this point.

Would it be fair to say that the judge outed Eich (and others)?

Just don’t know how anyone can be okay with this. We are headed down a very dark path as a country.

Missy on April 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Iron

Bmore on April 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Strike Iron, they are having issues with the ad blockers.

Bmore on April 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

We are losing this country, in a hurry.

GaltBlvnAtty on April 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM

That’s the plan.

rrpjr on April 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM

1. Mozilla is a “non-profit” that receives %100 of it’s funding from Google.

2. Mozilla positions itself as being “open” and against surveillance and other threats.

Do the math. Mozilla is funded by Google. Is there any ideological daylight between the two?

They used the leaked donation reports to go after Eich. But somehow they are looking out for their users? Riiiight.

tetriskid on April 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Another perk of work being in my rear view mirror. I can’t be fired :-)

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

You want your kids or grandkids living in a society where it’s acceptable for them to be fired for their political beliefs and activities?

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Just downloaded Opera. Looks pretty good….

d1carter on April 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Let me know how you end up liking it. Here is the page you might need if you don’t already have it.

Bmore on April 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Wouldn’t it be cool if Eich went to work for the RNC or the Koch Brothers and designs a revolutionary GOTV system that destroys the Dems in 2016?

Mark1971 on April 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Lay-Z on April 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Agreed. I’ve been an IT engineer for years with quite a CV and as conservative as they come.

In my experience the good engineers tend to be conservative/libertarian.

The posers are socialists. ;)

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I have used Firefox since the early 2000′s….I didn’t realize what a hog it had become. Chrome is running very quickly in comparison. Thanks for the wake up call Mozilla! :)

maables on April 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Would it be fair to say that the judge outed Eich (and others)?

Missy on April 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

NOM did forensic analysis of the leaked PDFs and found artifacts that proved they originated within the IRS.

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Nobody really cares about the ghey’s and frankly they don’t really care either.

This is the ObamaClintonMachine gearing up for 2014, 2016 and exploiting their constituents.

/yawn. Anybody got some burrito’s and a margarita?

….ewps. That’s raciss

Key West Reader on April 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM

And how is America served by having talented and productive people removed from positions where they can do the most good because their ideology wasn’t sufficiently pure?

It’s also a ruthlessly efficient way for destroying the meritocracy of productive sectors of our country one by one, until the SSM crowd and the other Leftists can enjoy their ideological purity amidst the rubble of a former-first-world economy.

Socratease on April 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

The rise of sodomites in a society is not just of sign of judgment, it is part of it.

Murphy9 on April 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Someone noted the progression of these things from the left. First they demand tolerance, then acceptance, then approval. Finally, as the old saying about socialist totalitarianism goes, “Everything that is not forbidden is mandatory.”

In 100 years, people will look back at this and wonder at our tribalism and superstition and various cultural talismans and be amazed at how such an “advanced” civilization could be so ignorant and self-destructive.

Adjoran on April 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Yep, we changed to Chrome a couple of months ago because Mozilla was too darned slow…

sandee on April 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Thanks, avagreen. I shared that link.

wyntre9 on April 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Our phrenologists rule social discourse and see not what chaos they sow.
StubbleSpark on April 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Hey pal – Phrenology is a settled science and any naysaying otherwise will be censored so we an continue to save the world!

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I’m now using Opera browser. I’m running adblock plus and Abine’s don’t track me. It’s fast and it’s quick to set up. So far, no problems.

thatsafactjack on April 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Adjoran on April 3, 2014 at 5:26

If we make it that long…

sandee on April 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

You should hear Camille Paglia, who’s a lesbian and liberal, talk about the gay mafia — the most vicious fascists she’s ever encountered.

rrpjr on April 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Liberal values of tolerance and diversity are so yesterday.

Today we suffer the tyranny of the anti-liberal (aka fascist) left, where some people’s notion of “social justice” trumps other people’s exercise of free speech/thought. Political correctness, the same old sh*t from the 1960′s, is now on steroids. Marcuse would be proud.

petefrt on April 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I want posterity to be free. Free to march and shout and boycott. And free to accept the responsibility for marching and shouting and boycotting.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

consider ghostery ifn you change to opera. I’ve been using opera since 2002.

Murphy9 on April 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Ad Block Plus for Opera works pretty good…

d1carter on April 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

So, now no one is permitted to have views on anything if those views don’t fit the fascists’ narrative? WTF has happened to us? I’m beyond disgusted.

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on April 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM

So no, not all computer geeks are socialists.

Lay-Z on April 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Sorry, I really meant all those Silacon Valley internet company owners especially the ones who started the companies. You know who I’m talking about.

I have nothing but respect for those who know how to work with computers. One of them figured out how to fix mine. Sounds like you have serious credentials. Commiserations on your MIL.

crankyoldlady on April 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Already dropped. I used firefox since ’06 or ’07, but it’s gone from all my machines now, using Chrome until i can find a better choice since google isn’t really any better than mozilla.

clearbluesky on April 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

They’ll give Pryor a break in the name of victory

Give me a break. Anyone with a 1/4 of a brain knows that the marxist-progressive-demos only have standards when they think the standards will help them satisfy their ravenous lust for power.

yhxqqsn on April 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

rrpjr on April 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Paglia defintely ‘gets it’.

Another lefty, Michelle Goldberg writing for The Nation, gets a good part of it:
#CancelColbert and the Return of the Anti-Liberal Left http://www.thenation.com/blog/179160/cancelcolbert-and-return-anti-liberal-left

Dangerous times.

petefrt on April 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Uninstalling Mozilla as we speak…

JohnGalt23 on April 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Brendan Eich wanted the same thing. How’d that turn out?

HumpBot Salvation on April 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

blink on April 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Fire everyone and start over?

Bmore on April 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Think someone can hire this guys to start a company to create a browser you don’t have to be a lefty to stomach?

Ricard on April 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

LOL. Now imagine, if you will, what this prog would be saying if an atheist CEO were to be booted out of his job over the outcry from evangelicals over some religiously offensive “statement” or action. If this keeps up, you’re going to see what “pushback” really is.

ddrintn on April 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I’m not strongly against SSM, but I am strongly against ever using the Firefox browser again due to this bullying.

cat_owner on April 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Upon being named CEO last Wednesday, Eich immediately put up another post which among other things pledged in direct terms first that he would ensure Mozilla continued offering health benefits to the same-sex partners of its employees; second that he would allocate additional resources to a project that aims to bring more LGBTQ individuals into the technology world and Mozilla in particular; and third that he would maintain and strengthen Mozilla’s policies against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. It’s worth emphasizing that Eich made this statement prior to the storm of outrage which has since erupted, and that with these policies and others Mozilla easily ranks among the most gay-friendly work environments in the United States.

davidk on April 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I am not sure but I would guess that like somewhere around 1% of the population is gay if the is true, we are the 99% and should be hanging out in city parks raping and pullaging.

Sven on April 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’m liking the Speed Dial on Opera….

d1carter on April 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Free speech does not bar negative consequences from the reaction to that speech.

If HotAir posted terrible articles all day long for years and then finally people stopped coming, it cannot sue people for not visiting.

Should CEOs be able to fire anyone for their speech? They do, all the time.

The counter to that is to make such actions known. Thus people can decide who to support in such a situation.

The free flow of information is key to an informed society.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

You’re totally dodging the issue I’m bringing up.

I have not yet mentioned government making people do things. Though we both know that they’re pushing for that too under the exact same guise as “tolerance” and “equality”.

So I guess you really are fine with a free society so toxic to anything not hard core left that your grandchildren will have to hide any conservative views they might have to keep their jobs. Just as long as the government isn’t directly involved.

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

want posterity to be free. Free to march and shout and boycott. And free to accept the responsibilityIRS Targeting

for marching and shouting and boycotting.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Everyone knows there will be penalties.

Key West Reader on April 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I dropped Firefox a while ago.

Iblis on April 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I’m not about to switch to Chrome and I never cared for Opera – how’s safari on windows these days?

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Radical McCarthyite attacks on anyone and everyone who does not endorse same sex marriage. This is the current legacy of the tolerant left.

Jaibones on April 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Fire everyone and start over?

Bmore on April 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Businesses that purge employees based on ideology will soon find themselves being uncompetitive. After all, if they eliminate 40% of the appropriate talent pool they will have to pay up for the remaining workers. They will also lose out on the contributions of singular talent among that group. So, aside from a high level, symbolic scalp, it is generally not in their interest to do that.

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Heh… Notice nobody is saying they’re going to switch to IE? :)

Skywise on April 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Adjoran on April 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

The progression of these things from the left… as certain as death and taxes.

petefrt on April 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM

MJBrutus on April 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

thatsafactjack on April 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Can Opera now prevent auto-refresh?

OldEnglish on April 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM

gwelf on April 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Apparently, society has changing values over time. If conservative viewpoints are “toxic”, then I suggest trying harder to win over converts.

As I recall from reading various articles, the moral majority types found something every week to boycott or be upset about, when it was relevant before I was born.

antisense on April 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM