Bruce Braley Grovel Tour: Being a lawyer is a lot like being a farmer or something

posted at 10:01 pm on April 3, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

After being caught on tape telling a group of trial lawyers that they better get him elected to prevent a lowly farmer from becoming head of the Judiciary Committee, Rep. Bruce Braley has a lot of ground to make up if he’d like to be a Democratic Senator from Iowa.

On a conference call today, he started hoeing rows. In a stilted six-minute statement to Iowa reporters, he offered this:

“One of my highest honors as a lawyer was being invited to the home of my clients to share a meal. It was no different than putting up hay all day in Poweshiek County and sitting down to dinner at noon with the farm family I was helping that day.”

You have to listen to it. He’s a real charmer, genuine, warm:

He tried to “clarify” what he meant, but it’s unconvincing, because he said exactly what he meant:

“I was trying to convey that we have different life experiences and backgrounds,” Braley said.

Braley was then asked by Des Moines Register columnist Kathie Obradovich if he is concerned the issue has hurt his Senate campaign.

“I am much less concerned about the impact of my comments on my Senate campaign, Kathie, than I am on the impact of my comments on the people of Iowa. And that’s because it doesn’t reflect who I am and where I come from, and that’s why I apologized to Senator Grassley,” Braley replied.

Braley was asked to explain how his life experience was different from Grassley.

“Well, the experience that I have spending 23 years representing Iowans and trying to understand their stories and challenges so that I could be their voice and give them a chance at justice. That’s one of the significant differences that I was trying to explain,” Braley said.

The full statement is here. Not sure it’s gonna work.

Comments

What a snake. Go Joni!

OmahaConservative on April 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Both spread manure, but that’s about it.

Flange on April 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Lost cause.

wolly4321 on April 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Digging a hole.

Your move, IA!

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Murphy’s Number One Law: When in a hole, first stop digging.

VorDaj on April 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Although farmers dig holes. That they stay out of. :)

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Farmers raise pigs. Lawyers are pigs.

VorDaj on April 3, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Well … not exactly … Otherwise he would have said that it was the first time in his adult life he’s been proud of this country and that Iowa is full of people who bitterly cling to their religion and guns and demonize “others”.

Of course, after expressing a sentiment like that (and maybe putting a picture of the Russian Navy up while he boasts about his military knowledge) just makes him a front-runner for the Oval Office. Yep. The American Socialist Superstate likes ‘em anti-American, anti-Western and dumb as rocks.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Both spread manure, but that’s about it.

Flange on April 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I’m calling the thread early.

John the Libertarian on April 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Bruce, you sure you aren’t Alan Grayson’s missing twin brother?

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM

This clown looks as much a piece of crap as Grayson does.

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Whoa!

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Looks like the GOP has its own version of Braley in Gerogia

Mark1971 on April 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM

This clown looks as much a piece of crap as Grayson does.

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM

lol!

22044 on April 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM

*fail*

CoffeeLover on April 3, 2014 at 10:24 PM

*fail*

CoffeeLover on April 3, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Let’s give it a wait-and-see. Remember. Mass elected a proven liar.

And so did Connecticut.

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM

They should throw a little salt on it by claiming he also said “those hicks sleep with their pigs”

Southernblogger on April 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Both spread manure, but that’s about it.

Flange on April 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I’m calling the thread early.

John the Libertarian on April 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Yep.

cheers

eon

eon on April 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Lanceman on April 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM

He does look like a younger Grayson.

Can’t argue with you Lanceman. O lies all the time and he still has a higher approval than he should.

CoffeeLover on April 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM

He reminds me of that guy in the movie “Hannibal” who eats his own brain in the end.

Valkyriepundit on April 3, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I’m a farmer too! I grew up plauing and harvusting…

HornHiAceDeuce on April 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Some farmer should offer to let him work on his farm for the day.
Relive those good times again.

Get it on video.

Work the dogshit out of him.

wolly4321 on April 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Braley is a lying sack of lawyer.

I attended a town hall of his prior to the passage of Obamacare and he said some crazy stuff. At the end of each townhall he quoted a favorite song of his by Dave Mason. He said “There ain’t no good guys, there ain’t no bad guys, there’s just you and me and we just disagree.” A song written about a divorce or breakup….. maybe it was a good choice.

One section of one town meeting:

and short youtube vid with how Braley ended those meetings:

sonof1073rd on April 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM

This guy has a pork belly in his future (and present).

Sherman1864 on April 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Greasy, lying lawyer, with all of the sincerity of a mortgage salesman.

Jaibones on April 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Many of our problems are because of lawyers. The lawyers are instrumental in changing any society into a well-functioning police state. They make it so that John Q. Citizen is always potentially guilty of something due to the myriad of laws they see to it are enacted.

I’m not talking about the divorce and ambulance-chasing lawyers so much, but the bigwig firms and especially those that end up in state offices and the Federal government.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 3, 2014 at 11:30 PM

…what a dork!

KOOLAID2 on April 3, 2014 at 11:41 PM

An apparently the lesson he learned from representing farmers for 23 years and sharing their home cooking was that, boy, do they hate tort reform!

Fred 2 on April 4, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Why lawfaring is just like subsidies I tells ya. (a strand of rye grass hangs from the corner of his mouth)

Lonetown on April 4, 2014 at 7:09 AM

This rat reminds me of John Kerry when he was in Ohio and decided he needed to get a hunting license.

Happy Nomad on April 4, 2014 at 7:12 AM

OH and dont forget it was career lawyers that wrote up the obamacare law.

look how much fun that has been

career lawyers run the irs, ask the tea party

career lawyers run the epa, ask a coal plant

career lawyers run the obama admin , , , ask any american

sniffles1999 on April 4, 2014 at 7:18 AM

People can live without lawyers. They cannot live without farmers.

sadatoni on April 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Typical lawyer.

M240H on April 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Oh gawd.

Ok. We have an opportunity here. Someone get a hair sample. We can isolate the DNA sequence where homo sapiens sapiens branched off to homo politicus ineptus.

With the ability to detect them, I can finally institute the Tsar’s Cleansing Plan.

Tsar of Earth on April 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I’d like to introduce him to that woman who cuts hogs. He’d probably faint.

Kissmygrits on April 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Oh good grief.

Who in the hell invites their attorney over for dinner?

And I don’t believe he ever put up hay one minute of his life!

ladyingray on April 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM

One of the first lessons taught to me on my grand dad’s farm 50 yrs ago…this aint the city, watch where you step. Ayuh, that hasn’t changed much.

This poser in his arrogance and “pedigree” didn’t need to watch, he “knew” where he was stepping, while disparaging his elder.

A little dry and crusty on the outside turned out to be sticky and oozy when foot fully planted, and it don’t wash off easily. :>)

PatHenry on April 4, 2014 at 9:41 AM

This kind of individual is the rule, not the exception, in the legal profession. It is the reason I quit practicing law 3 years ago. 90% or more of lawyers are conceited pretentious jerks and their ranks have way too many democrats/progressives/socialists/communists. The legal profession has been the point of the spear for the decline and destruction of a once great nation…Shakespeare had it right, kill all the lawyers…(not literally of course, that would be illegal).

Doomsday on April 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM

There are lots of “lowly” farmers in Iowa who vote.

Oh, BTW, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were farmers.

Steve Z on April 4, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I’d like to introduce him to that woman who cuts hogs. He’d probably faint.

Kissmygrits on April 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM

If Joni Ernst makes it through the primary, they will be running against one another.

sonof1073rd on April 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I’d rather have 12 farmers in congress than 1 more lawyer.

Gothguy on April 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM

His opponent will save a lot of money because Braley is making his ads for him gratis.

KW64 on April 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Some farmer should offer to let him work on his farm for the day.
Relive those good times again.
wolly4321 on April 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM

And I don’t believe he ever put up hay one minute of his life!
ladyingray on April 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM

This law school elitest snob wouldn’t last 20 minutes bailing hay.
For that matter, I’d like to see if he could make it to the end of a row with a hand weeding hoe (a wheel in front and 2 overlapping blades down low, and a big wooden handle bar set). I used to weed acres of strawberry, potato, and other crops that way as a kid.

dentarthurdent on April 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

You have to listen to it. He’s a real charmer, genuine, warm

It sounds like he was talking with a gun to his head.

RadClown on April 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Somewhere after that youth grew up on a farm, he went away to law school and then threw in his lot with the trial lawyers, aka ambulance chasers.

We heard what he said to his fellow attorneys, “You’ll have someone with your background, your experience, your voice.”

He sounded awfully sincere. Now he tries to sound equally sincere when he tells Iowans that is not who he is, that he is just a guy who likes to set down at the kitchen table with average people.

I still can’t believe he bragged about fighting tort reform for 30 years. That is just who he is.

J Baustian on April 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM