Wow: Every major demographic now considers alcohol more harmful than marijuana

posted at 10:41 pm on April 2, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Week, the most eye-popping result from an eye-popping Pew poll showing American attitudes towards drugs softening in various ways. Not only does every demographic now regard alcohol as more harmful than weed, it’s not remotely close. Even when you ask people whether their opinion would change if marijuana was widely available, alcohol still wins by double-digit margins within every group, including seniors(!).

Prohibition can’t survive a result like this for much longer. If a drug universally regarded as more dangerous is perfectly legal, pot’s Schedule I status isn’t long for this world.

dem

You’ve got clear majorities of Republicans on both halves of that question. Which is not to say that people are sanguine about legalization: Although 54 percent now support it, 55 percent say drug abuse is a “serious problem” and 54 percent think legalization will inevitably lead more kids to try it. That sounds like people have decided, correctly in my opinion, not that there are no risks to legalizing weed but rather that the risks of continued prohibition are greater. Other data points to the same conclusion. Sixty-three percent now oppose mandatory sentences for drug offenses; in 2001, just 46 percent did. Sixty-seven percent support treatment for illegal drug users versus just 32 percent who prefer prosecution. That’s something close to total victory for the NORML types out there. The change in opinion is probably too late to shift candidates’ attitudes much for the 2016 election, since both parties are terrified of what seniors might do if this becomes a hot button, but by 2020 you may have an openly pro-legalization candidate heading the Democratic ticket and someone not far from that position heading the Republican one.

One interesting, expectation-confounding wrinkle that caught my eye was this:

bwl

Blacks and whites are, for once, in basic agreement — but Latinos vary considerably. Why is that? Any theories?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Smoke up reprobates. You won’t need to be cognizant of the next steps.

Murphy9 on April 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Guess I’m not part of a ‘major demographic’-because I strongly disagree.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I think alcohol is more harmful than pot…

OmahaConservative on April 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Gonna need them drugs more and more to escape reality. Booze takes too long.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM

The power of the meme. Selective information repeated over and over, and the mostly apathetic mind.

Mimzey on April 2, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Lanceman will Merm your Marijuana. Not your alcohol.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Wow: Every major demographic now considers alcohol more harmful than marijuana

Which is based on absolutely nothing but the wave of progressivism that has been sweeping the country.

BKeyser on April 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Alcoholics vs. Potheads cage match ;)

iceman1960 on April 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM

…why?…because you can’t smell alcohol…when the stoner crashes into your car…while you’re stopped?

KOOLAID2 on April 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Utopia is controlled by pot heads…….

Electrongod on April 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Every demographic now believes Rove E Wade went to the Supreme Court.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Alcoholics vs. Potheads cage match ;)

iceman1960 on April 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Alcoholics should win that easy. The world is full of mean, angry violent drunks but I’ve never seen a pothead looking for a fight.

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Smoke up Drink your booze reprobates. You won’t need to be cognizant of the next steps.

Murphy9 on April 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Yeah, but how does it fare against e-cigs?

El_Terrible on April 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Question: How much alcohol versus how much marijuana? One sip of wine versus smoking 20 tokes? Marijuana. You drink three bottles of Vladimirs Rotgut Vodka, 180 proof, and you aren’t long for this world.

Alcohol will, and does, kill more people than any other drug, I believe. On a per capita basis, more people die either directly or indirectly (like DUI) from alcohol than crack cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.

Doesn’t mean those drugs are safer than alcohol, though. And MJ is not something to mess around with. I’d prefer, frankly, working towards criminalizing alcohol again before decriminalizing marijuana.

Vanceone on April 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

…we have a pot-head in the White House!…I’d rather have a drunk!

KOOLAID2 on April 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Up next… Vegans vs. Carnivores. Battle to the death.

iceman1960 on April 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

This came from Instapundit a while back. But I decided to paste it into my FB page:

SO YESTERDAY I ASKED WHY MEN FAVOR POT LEGALIZATION BY BIG MARGINS, WHILE WOMEN OPPOSE IT: Reader Jane Vawter responded: “Women don’t like pot for the most part. It’s a man drug. What they really don’t like is a useless, stoned man…pot makes you stupid, poor company and a poor provider.”

Posted at 2:46 pm by Glenn Reynolds

Except for the broads that are stoners themselves, I agree. I don’t like being around drunks. But there always seems to be more stoners.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Both are harmful and both have no place in a civilized, christian society.

nazo311 on April 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Both are harmful and both have no place in a civilized, christian society.

nazo311 on April 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

But, I can still have my booze, right? Just a little at a time?

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Both are harmful and both have no place in a civilized, christian society.

nazo311 on April 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

So how do you reconcile your anti-alcohol stance with the presence of wine in the gospel?

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Both are harmful and both have no place in a civilized, christian society.

nazo311 on April 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I am sure this represents Jesus’ position. Anyone disagree?

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM

<blockquote>Both are harmful and both have no place in a civilized, christian society.

nazo311 on April 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

There’s the problem, right there, nazo, we no longer are a Christian society and haven’t been one for quite some time now.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM

I am sure this represents Jesus’ position. Anyone disagree?

non-nonintelligent on April 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Jesus was a community organizer!

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Vanceone on April 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

That was done once already…didn’t work out so well…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Seriously. If alcohol has no place in a civil society, then why did Jesus start his public ministry by turning water into wine at the Cana wedding?

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Both are harmful and both have no place in a civilized, christian society.

nazo311 on April 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

It’s lucky for us you’re here to let us all know what does and does not have a place in a civilized, Christian society. Where would we uneducated, unsophisticated, can’t-order-our-own-lives rubes be without you to guide us?

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM

That’s the kind of question you get from someone who reads the Bible like a technician.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Shut up. He was stoned at the time.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

How about pot vs. tobacco?

Bet most of them don’t know how much tar is in even the best-quality weed. (Answer; more than in even the roughest shag.)

No nicotine, though; tetra-hydra-cannibinol (THC, the stuff that gets you “high”) takes the place of nicotine in marijuana’s chemical matrix.

So, if the heads don’t crash their cars or otherwise f**k themselves up, there’s a good chance they’ll get to experience what it’s like to be one of those evil, reactionary tobacco smokers. You know, emphysema, lung cancer, etc.

Which is pretty funny when you consider how many NORML-ites want tobacco banned altogether and anyone who lights up one not merely tarred and feathered, but beheaded. Because they are clearly not of the “enlightened”; they don’t smoke the stuff that makes them mellow, worldly, sensitive, caring, and etc.

Either from their dumb-a$$ behavior while toking and being impressed with their innate superiority, or the long-term effects of (gasp!) smoking on their bodies, the heads get a Darwin Award one way or the other. I call it a win-win for the gene pool.

Not to mention Social Security. They can’t collect starting at 65 if they’re dead before fifty.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 2, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Mimzey on April 2, 2014 at 10:48 PM

i agree. people are so dumb. alcohol is only more harmful if you compare it to alcohol abuse, but not everybody drinks to get drunk. everybody who smokes weed smokes it to get high. that’s a significant behavioral difference. legalization is going to reinforce that behavior.

independent76 on April 2, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Jesus, Obama’s first appearance, was a community organizer!

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Well either Jesus was perfect or he was imperfect. Has to be one or the other, right? If he was perfect, then alcohol is not evil in and of itself, and has a place in civilized society when moderation is a part of civilization. If alcohol is improper at all times and for all reasons, Jesus is imperfect. What is it, Christians? Sola scriptura, right?!

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

independent76 on April 2, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Agreed.

These are the kinds of things societies in decline argue about.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

independent76 on April 2, 2014 at 11:10 PM

People who drink don’t do it to feel the effects of the alcohol in their system?

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Obama’s first appearance, was a community organizer!

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

You can’t prove that.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

You’re kidding, right?

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Everything people like you dislike, Jesus dislikes. We know this is true because it’s in plain site for all to see when you read the Bible correctly.

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I don’t touch marijuana. I have no inclination to. No desire. I enjoy the occasional cigar (and by “occasional,” I mean once or twice a month), and I’m a light social drinker, but I do not and never will smoke cigarettes.

With all that in mind, how come tobacco is getting less fashionable while marijuana, which also involves inhaling a cocktail of combustion products into your lungs, becoming more acceptable? I don’t get it.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM

site=sight

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Wait a minute! This ain’t a buttsex thread! What the hell are you doing here???

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM

gryphon, seriously. What evidence do you have that our society is becoming more, not less, civilized?

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Excellence was a virtue.

Axe on April 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

You’re kidding, right?

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM

What’s wrong, Cleo? You can’t address a simple binary question of whether Jesus was perfect or imperfect? Or am I just being stupid? It’s funny to me that so many Christian churches claim “justification by faith alone,” and then turn around and treat you like a pariah if you’re an alcoholic or drug addict. Just like the Jews treated the lepers…except Jesus.

You must really not be used to having your faith challenged like this, are you? Cat got your tongue?

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Sorry, non-nonpartisan, but we’re nowhere near ready to discuss Jesus, you and I.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I read HotGas daily and comment when I’m in the mood to do so.

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM

That’s not what I said. I asked why, if alcohol has no place in civilized society, did Jesus start his public ministry turning water into wine? Do you have no answer for that question?

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Heh. What you all challenging my faith I call insulting my intelligence.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Sanctimonious li’l cuss, aren’t you.

Newtie and the Beauty on April 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

independent76 on April 2, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Saying people don’t drink a beer or a shot of whiskey to feel the effects of alcohol is like saying people don’t drink a cup of coffee to feel the effects of caffeine.

iceman1960 on April 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Wow: Every major demographic now considers alcohol more harmful than marijuana

Neither in excess are healthy. Same goes for tobacco. And food. And water. And oxygen…

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Heh. What you all challenging my faith I call insulting my intelligence.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I can’t speak to your intelligence one way or the other if you won’t even address my question of why Jesus would appear to be encouraging something that some Christians consider a sin.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

My guess is that once Phillip Morris starts churning out marijuana cigarettes, along with a media campaign to sell them, mary jane’s poll numbers will fall.

El_Terrible on April 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Heh. What you all challenging my faith I call insulting my intelligence.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

It could be both.

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I know that’s not what you said but I’m not interested in discussing Jesus with you. I’m more interested in your notions of what constitutes a “civilized society”.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

You can’t prove that.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM

If you get drunk or high enough, you’ll see the light. O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma!

I feel I should remind us here that drunkeness is somehow less immoral than being stoned, and that’s why Jesus thinks alcohol should be legal while marijuana should not be.

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Me either. I do find it amazing that dopers seem to ignore the fact that the smoke damages microstructures everywhere along the path to your lungs and in your lungs. It damages the motility of the cilia in your trachea among other things.

Bunch of doped up coughing fools believe it has no effect.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Sanctimonious li’l cuss, aren’t you.

Newtie and the Beauty on April 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Not at all. If Jesus is a living example of divinty made flash, and perfectly obedient to the father, I’m not the sanctimonious lil cuss for pointing out that he did something that some Christians would today consider sinful. Maybe the sanctimonious lil cusses can be found on the other side of the pulpit.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

If you get drunk or high enough, you’ll see the light. O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma!

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Hope-an-change!
Yes-we-can!
o-ba-ma!
o-ba-ma!

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Wait a minute! This ain’t a buttsex thread! What the hell are you doing here???

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Alchy the freak everyone once in a while likes to pretend it has more than one interest…when we know its all about the buttsex.

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:23 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Religious considerations aside, we tried outlawing alcohol once at the behest of religious leaders. It not only failed horrendously in making society more civil, it had the opposite effect and encouraged criminal enterprise.

But I can tell you this much: My notion of civilized society will never be determined by a preacher who thinks something that Jesus is now somehow sinful. And I, for pointing that out, have been called “sanctimonious” on this very thread. Meh.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I agree. People like you should only be listened to, not questioned.

When I want to know what’s on Jesus’ mind, I skip asking Him and go straight to people like you instead.

non-nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM

No QOTD. Going to bed.

crankyoldlady on April 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM

As one who neither smokes tobacco or weed and doesn’t consume alchohol, I would like to personally thank each of you that do.
I benefit from the taxes that you pay and I don’t.
Now run along and buy some more lottery tickets while you’re at it…

Galtian on April 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Well said, sir.

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM

No QOTD. Going to bed.

crankyoldlady on April 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Give it another 7 minutes, crank-yanker.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Ha! Yet another head in which I live rent-free. ;)

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I dunno why you’re so butthurt anyway, Cleo. You weren’t the one who asserted that alcohol has no place in Christian society. It sure had a place in Jewish society back in the day.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

iceman1960 on April 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Such simplistic thought. I have done both(beer/coffee). Typically if I have either drink I have one because I enjoy the taste.No, not for the effect. In fact, some beers obviously bring more punch…and I don’t care for it.

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Are we talking about cigarette butt Sex, MJ butt Sex, just regular butt Sex or anything but Sex.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 11:28 PM

rent-free. ;)

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

No that’s what the government does for you.

You’re a pervert. Say do you find santorum sexy? Notice the little s freak.

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Bunch of doped up coughing fools believe it has no effect.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Tobacco is a health issue. Marijuana is a cultural and personal-liberty issue. Alcohol, which, like spray paint, can get you high if you consume too much, is food.

Compartmentalizing things is fun. :) Let’s do some more.

Sex with my wife is a family and marriage issue. Sex with my secretary is a complicated, angst-ridden and man-dream issue — having nothing to do with being married. Sex with my secretary’s pony is about a personal, spiritual journey — and it only happened once anyway, and I was really high, so lay off.

Axe on April 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM

gryphon, seriously, everything’s a tell. Societies and cultures are never static; they’re either advancing or are in decline. Judging from the things this society apparently thinks are important, in which direction would you say ours is going?

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Give it another 7 minutes, crank-yanker.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Well that’s just time enough to have a 7 minute cigarette.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Ha! Yet another head in which I live rent-free. ;)

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Ha! Don’t flatter yourself. it’s just that we, as a conservatively bent crowd, have better recall than your average ‘rat voter.

Except for rogerb. He’s a machine.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM

…we have a pot-head in the White House!…I’d rather have a drunk!

KOOLAID2 on April 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

So you’re on the Hill2016 team?

slickwillie2001 on April 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Sanctimonious li’l cuss, aren’t you.

Newtie and the Beauty on April 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

We haven’t “met” cause I’ve been awol, but I havw to chime in with a
plus 100.

MontanaMmmm on April 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Did I misunderstand the tone of the post I cited? Just askin’…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM

So you’re on the Hill2016 team?

slickwillie2001 on April 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM

BURN!

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM

…we have a pot-head in the White House!…I’d rather have a drunk!

KOOLAID2 on April 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I believe he lives across the street…Joe Somethingorother…

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 2, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Axe on April 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Lolz. Very funny.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Cleo. Buddy. I ask a question, and I can’t get a straight answer. I’m called sanctimonious for questioning someone who believes alcohol has no place in Christian society (who, by the by, was not you). Why do you have such a tough time with this? And what does my belief about society’s changing mores have to do with whether alcohol has a place in Christian society or not?

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM

No that’s what the government does for you.

You’re a pervert.

No need to call names.

Say do you find santorum sexy? Notice the little s freak.

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Uhhh, Rick Santorum is a man so no. Why are you pointing out your own poor grammar? And are you going somewhere with this little side-rant?

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM

From Discovery .com

Studies have shown that a small percentage of marijuana users — about 9 percent — do in fact develop a serious addiction to smoking it. In contrast, about 17 percent of cocaine users become addicts, and 23 percent of heroin users develop an addiction. But surprisingly, the addiction power of all three of those drugs pales in comparison to a completely legal substance, tobacco, which hooks one in three people who use it.

Becoming addicted to a drug is only half the story, though, Gumbiner points out. It’s also important to consider how difficult it is to quit using. Unlike other substances, marijuana has very few severe withdrawal symptoms — some users may experience anxiety, depression, nausea, sleep disturbances and gastrointestinal problems. Most people can quit rather easily. “It’s much harder to quit smoking cigarettes than it is to quit smoking pot,” Gumbiner writes [source: Gumbiner].

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Your assuming that Jesus turned the water into fermented wine. He could of very well of turned into the wine into harmless grape juice. If I remember correctly the word for fermented and unfermented wine is the same in the New Testament and is used interchangeably. Just food for thought.

Ric on April 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM

OK, crank-yanker, you may go to bed. I do believe Allah buttsexed us tonight.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Donde esta el QOTD?

Ah, well. I got to go to bed anyway.

Doc Holliday on April 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Did I misunderstand the tone of the post I cited? Just askin’…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Possibly.

Both are harmful and both have no place in a civilized, christian society.

nazo311 on April 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

So I simply asked how you rectify that assertion with the fact that Jesus started his public ministry by turning water into wine. And Cleo went ape-shit.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Google: Slang and santorum. Enjoy weirdo!!

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Pot isn’t good for you, to say the least, but I wish they would legalize it. It’s too much of a police trap for people just minding their own business.

cimbri on April 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Ric on April 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Doubtful. If that were the case, they would not have drawn the distinction between “new wine” and “old wine.” Wine does tend to turn into vinegar as it ages further, which while suitable for cooking, is not all that fun to drink.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Except for rogerb. He’s a machine.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM

It should go without saying but having better recall than the average ‘rat voter isn’t a high bar to clear. Heck, their lack of recall is probably a big part of why those people vote Democrat in the first place.

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Just food for thought.

Ric on April 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Hey slick meet Alchy. You two would make a cute couple.

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Prohibition was Progressive social engineering. It was intended to “treat” poor and worthless immigrants, for the good of society.

Axe on April 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Hey man, like… Cough cough cough, like why… Cough cough cough, do people, *jams a twinky into his face* mumble mumble mumble… Swallows.. Like why cough do cough people, hey man this sh!t is like so rad.

Why can’t peoble are like always saying reefer is harmless. Wait, someone is spying on me now. I can feel it.

SparkPlug on April 2, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Google: Slang and santorum. Enjoy weirdo!!

CW on April 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM

You haven’t shown yourself to be a bastion of good advice so I’ll take a pass on Googling that.

alchemist19 on April 2, 2014 at 11:38 PM

cimbri on April 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I’d go for de-criminalizing it. One pound of dope per person. Screw these stupid ‘grams’ hogwash. Who the hell measures in grams anyway?

“Helen!”
“What, Priscilla?”
“I need to lose 80 thousand grams to fit into this new black dress I bought! Can you help me avoid fattening food for a week?”

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 11:39 PM

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Alright, I’ll deal with this.

I don’t know about you but I assume the writer of the original post, in his/her reference to “alcohol” was referring to “drunkenness”, the same way the New Testament writers implied when speaking of wine. I understood, or at least thought I understood his/her implication.

I’m disappointed that you did not. That was why I said your response sounded like someone who reads the Bible as if it’s a technical manual.

Cleombrotus on April 2, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Axe on April 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM

There were a lot of Baptists in the deep south who were on-board with the idea. How many of those folks were also Democratic segregationists, I can only speculate, but the ease of moving corn and sugar crops in the form of distilled alcoholic beverages definitely changed American culture between the 1880′s and 1920′s, whether for good or ill.

gryphon202 on April 2, 2014 at 11:40 PM