Rubio: If I run for president in 2016, I won’t run for Senate reelection in Florida

posted at 8:01 pm on April 2, 2014 by Allahpundit

Something newsy from today’s interview with Hugh Hewitt. Remember, he and Rand Paul face a dilemma about 2016. Their Senate seats are up, and laws in Florida and Kentucky prevent candidates from appearing on the federal ballot for more than one office. Paul’s working on getting that law changed so that he can run for president and Senate simultaneously but he’s got a problem with the state’s House of Representatives, which is controlled by Democrats. Hewitt wanted to know if Rubio would try the same trick. Answer: Nope, it’s either/or for him. If he jumps in for president, he’s done in the Senate, which raises the stakes — and not just for him. Matt Lewis wondered a few weeks ago what would happen if neither Rubio nor Paul could get his state’s law changed:

Let’s suppose Rand Paul and Marco Rubio both run for president — and let’s suppose Rubio wins the nomination, while Paul drops out in time to qualify for re-election on the ballot.

It is entirely possible that this scenario would potentially cost Republicans two U.S. Senate seats (in what will already be a tough year for Republicans defending Senate seats).

At the very least, this could make both candidates look selfish. To avoid undermining the incumbent (or losing to him), Florida and Kentucky Republicans would presumably avoid fielding a candidate until the dénouement. This would put them at a severe disadvantage if a Democrat with statewide name recognition (think Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz or Alex Sink in Florida) seized the opportunity, and began aggressively running (and fundraising).

At a minimum, if they both run it’ll end up costing the GOP one. Alternate scenario: What if they run for president and one or both of them falters early, leading them to drop out? Would the loser then jump back into his state’s Senate race? Rubio’s cagier about that but he sounds disinclined to do so. Unlike Paul, it’s one office or the other for him. I assume you’ll hear him mention that on the trail if Paul does end up getting Kentucky’s law changed: Why would tea partiers, who loathe Washington careerists, support letting anyone run for two different offices at the same time?

Add this to your list of 2016 X factors, then, alongside “Will Jeb run?” If Bush is in, Rubio probably isn’t. If Bush isn’t in, then Rubio has to weigh his odds at the presidency versus his odds at Senate reelection. If the former look very slim but the latter look solid, maybe he’ll pass on the presidency for now and try to bank more time as a legislator. If, on the other hand, his job approval as a senator crumbles in Florida, he may decide he has no choice but to try for the presidency now. If reelection’s a long shot, why not go for the brass ring?

Comments

Could he win reelection in Florida?

portlandon on April 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I want to be done with Rubio for good. Would like to replace him in the Senate with a conservative who will not cave on the illegal alien amnesty issue.

Rubio stabbed us in the back, big time.

Would never vote for this man for president.

bluegill on April 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Good, it will be nice to see you out of Washington.
If you win the primary I will not be voting for you. I can get amnesty from a Democrat you know…

astonerii on April 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM

This man is headed to the White House!!!! :-)

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

My guess is Rubio will not run for president. He won’t want to give up running for Senate reelection.

bluegill on April 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

How bout we take a break from freshman senators running for POTUS?

workingclass artist on April 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Only as a visitor.
He’s a worthless amnesty shill.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM

The tea party supported you. You stabbed them in the back. I doubt you would have the same support again.
If you run for president, they will vote for the real democrat.

Cheese Wheel on April 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM

astonerii on April 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Then you won’t be able to vote for any Republican candidate in 2016. Too bad.

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Rubio threw away any chance he had to be president in order to support McCain’s amnesty.

Rubio’s lies about his position on amnesty are just like Obama’s lies on everything. No Rubio. Never.

Kaffa on April 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Then you won’t be able to vote for any Republican candidate in 2016. Too bad.

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Thanks for revealing the total betrayal of the platform.

I’m rescinding my gop affiliation post haste.

nobar on April 2, 2014 at 8:16 PM

He wont run for potus without a safety net. No Rubio in 2016.

Valkyriepundit on April 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Right. Rubio talks like a Clinton. There are other political offices besides the Senate.

Dongemaharu on April 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Why don’t you run for president of the Chamber of Commerce or of Mexico, lying fat face?

VorDaj on April 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM

This man is headed to the White House!!!! :-)

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Why don’t we just paint a prison cell white and call it a wrap.

VorDaj on April 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM

He wont run for potus without a safety net. No Rubio in 2016.

Valkyriepundit on April 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

NOBIO/AMNESTY 2016

Cheese Wheel on April 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Amigos – comrades – muchachos – friends, we are gathered here as an edifice of the great glory that is now vanishing before our very eyes and the intuitive feeling, based on the assumption as Mencken once proclaimed, “He who underestimates the American public will never go broke.” This is merely a small indication to behold and to perceive that which has gone way into the behind and to that which might project .. I mean go forward … out of the mouth … i mean .. the future…we’ve got to rip up the constitution so we can rip down those outdated and inconvenient borders! This is the main detergent … I mean main deterrent … upon which we have gathered our strength and to all the others who say, “What the hell did that get?” – We don’t yet know.

Clearly today we must all be gravely aware that political expediency, latino ethnicity and the Chamber of Commerce’s need for serf labor take precedence over rule of law and constitutional procedure. However you say – WTF ! – what the Hell does this mean… in relation to the tabulation whereby we must finally realize that the great reconquesta story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the rise of Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan… indicating that only two-faced … I mean fork-faced … I mean bi-faced … I mean bi-polar … I mean a bi-lingual hombre and his faithful amigo can receive…the award for reconquesta, unlike Kenyan Hussein Obama whose reconquesta plans don’t drink water.

And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he … that language is only necessary when bilingual communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said “It is not the lack of communication, but fear of communication.” That’s what the damn thing is that we fear – communication – especially all the Spanish communication that’s even on a box of Wheaties now. Damn it! And through all this John McCain has attained, and has created for himsself serenity, and it is only his senility that is keeping him alive in his insanity.

Moving right along in my brief remarks … … Senors y Senoritas, Ladies and Gentlemen, Peeps and Peepettes, Rulers and Ruled, the time will soon come when a first world America will outlive its usefulness. Marx, either Groucho or Karl, I can’t remember which, maybe it was both or maybe it was Harpo, once said that America is the opiate of the people. I say that when America outlives its usefulness and becomes a majority Mexican nation , then opium…will be the opiate…Ahh that’s not a bad idea… we are going to need that badly especially when all the booze runs out …

And the completely and totally unbiased and bi-partisan panel, has determined to give the grand prize to Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan for their EARNESTY’S RAINBOW. Now EARNESTY’S RAINBOW is a token of these men’s genius…they told me so themselves and repeatedly … that they could change perceptions by calling their plan for knocking down those pesky borders EARNESTY …in other words, they could have been a little more specific, but rather than allude to an articulation of the mundane, they have come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our nation’s shallow and selfish first world existence. God damn!

Marco Rubio’s and Paul Ryan’s. EARNESTY’S RAINBOW – is a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 315 of them … million live in the United States which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable and enslaved and dying elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where citizenship is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality and very wealthy, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality at all…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…

But I do want to thank la Raza…I mean the DNC … I mean the Chamber of Commerce … I mean the RNC … I mean la Raza and the DNC and the Chamber of Commerce and their wholly bought and paid for subsidiary the RNC, the organization for the $500 in affirmative action latino scholarships they’ve given out…today they took in over $5,000,000, but they do have expenses for their brilliant consultants you know, and I think that I have another appointment. I certainly hope so. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, and I want to thank the founding fathers for all the sacrifices they made however much they were in vain but now, most of all, and looking into the failure … I mean the future .. I want to thank Marco Rubio – acting el Presidenta of Juarez la Raza Mexiamerica and Paul Ryan – acting First Lady of Juarez la Raza Mexiamerica and also Mr. Obama – acting Pharaoh and Peeping Tom … I mean Spy Master and Drone Commander of the World – and also I want to thank Professor Irwin Corey and again, thank you. …

RasThavas on April 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM

You buddied up with Mc Cain, Rubio. His stench will follow you where ever you go.

31giddyup on April 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM

One other reason Rubio might sit it out is a possible Huckabee campaign. Remember, Rubio was Huckabee’s Florida chairman in 2008.

ceruleanblue on April 2, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Add this to your list of 2016 X factors, then, alongside “Will Jeb run?”

Stop. Just stop.

Myron Falwell on April 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM

ceruleanblue on April 2, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I think if Rubio decided to stay out of the race for somebody, it would be his mentor Jeb.

Valkyriepundit on April 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM

This man is headed to the White House!!!! :-)

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I like Rubio and I’m glad he’ll be in the hunt. It looks like we will have several good options. I can’t pick a favorite yet.

MJBrutus on April 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Rubio will come up short again.

Bmore on April 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Make a run for the border.

Murphy9 on April 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM

MJBrutus on April 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Yes we have several good options and Dems have Hillary……lol

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM

…stay in the Senate….Rube!

KOOLAID2 on April 2, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I think Rubio is the obvious VP choice.

Marcus on April 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I think Rubio is the obvious VP choice.

Marcus on April 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Possibly.

Killary/Rubio 2016!!!

ShainS on April 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM

good. can get rid of him then.

dmacleo on April 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Don’t forget Slow Joe :-)

I am coming to think that Shrillery won’t even run. I don’t think she likes competitive campaigns. It was one thing to win the NY Senate seat. She stank in 2008 and she hasn’t become any better at speaking. Her days at state are more of a liability (Benghazi, reset button …) than an asset.

MJBrutus on April 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM

MJBrutus on April 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Agreed. I am not convinced she will run. And even she does…..I don’t think she’s not all that good of a campaigner so I am not worried.

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Not in the senate, not president…maybe Rubio can get a real job for once in his pathetic life.

Murphy9 on April 2, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Murphy9 on April 2, 2014 at 8:57 PM

He can do one of those jobs Americans won’t do.

Cheese Wheel on April 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Marcus on April 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM

he’s the obvious choice to stay in Florida.
No amnesty shills!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM

That’s okay, Marco, you’re a liberal trying to persuade us you aren’t, anyway. No great loss.

RoyalFlush on April 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Then you won’t be able to vote for any Republican candidate in 2016. Too bad.

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM

While I care, I would like to have a faithful party to support, in the end if that is the case, then fine by me. I voted for Romney, I will not betray myself again with the party. I left when I officially moved to where I am now. I am now independent.

astonerii on April 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Either way the amnesty shill is a sure loser.

Run for reelection, and he’s a primary loser. Run for president, and the despicable deceiver would be a laughing stock. Talk about not having gravitas, or credibility as a serious weighty contender, it’s the Schumer smoozer baby-faced Rubio.

anotherJoe on April 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Then you won’t be able to vote for any Republican candidate in 2016. Too bad.

Oh man…are you guys really gonna try this crap again in 2016? The failure will be epic.

vlad martel on April 2, 2014 at 9:21 PM

People give Rubio way too much crap for immigration. I disagree with him but he’s been a solid conservative on everything else. You’re not going to get a Mike Lee type candidate winning Florida.

Allen West could raise a ton of money for a senate run. He has a less conservative record than Rubio does.

dforston on April 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM

He is dead to me

neyney on April 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM

dforston on April 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM

That excuse doesnt make any sense: he won his 2010 elections with a conservative position immigration. And that he lied to his voters on this issue is a big part of the problem with Rubio.

Immigration is a unique issue: We’re talking about the possibility of handing the Democrats permanent majorities by remaking the electorate. You can have the voting record of a wild-eyed tax-cutter, but if you decide to hand the Democrats majorities on a silver-plate, the ensuing tax increases are on your head.

Valkyriepundit on April 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM

You people are unforgivable. As in not forgiving. Rookie got rolled, and you’re saying stuff like “he’s dead to me.” Reagan passed amnesty, do you hate his guts too?

John the Libertarian on April 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

RasThavas on April 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Nice.

Mimzey on April 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM

John the Libertarian on April 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Not high enough to make that correlation holmes.

Murphy9 on April 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Save your Pesos Rubio. I am ok with you being a member of Congress, but you are on probation until at least 2024. (If we still have a Republic) Only the serious need to apply.

Whiterock on April 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM

“I won’t vote for Rubio for anything because he’s wrong on issue ____.”

Instead, we get a Dem, who is wrong on EVERY issue.

Absolutely asinine logic and it needs to stop; or this nation will be lost. Dems are thrilled with this asinine stupidity, which keeps them in power.

matthew8787 on April 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM

This man is headed to the White House!!!! :-)

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Is there a tour tomorrow? ;)

Just kidding. You seem genuine and good-hearted and I know you’re a Marco fan. We’ll see what happens.

ddrintn on April 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM

We learned with Reagan. Secure the border, then we can talk.

Whiterock on April 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Reagan passed amnesty, do you hate his guts too?

John the Libertarian on April 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Actually Reagan is a good example. He got rolled by the dems promise of security that never came and regretted it. Rubio is no Reagan, but apparently is willing to trust the same lying scumsacks.
I’d guess if Rubio came before Reagan, Reagan wouldn’t fall for the same con.

Mimzey on April 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM

“I won’t vote for Rubio for anything because he’s wrong on issue ____.”

Instead, we get a Dem, who is wrong on EVERY issue.

matthew8787 on April 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Again, I really don’t think you’re going to get any mileage out of this tactic this time.

vlad martel on April 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM

dforston on April 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Honestly, while I don’t supportw any kind of amnesty, I don’t dislike Rubio solely for pushing it. What really blew my gasket was how he bald-faced lied about every aspect of the bill.

Clark1 on April 2, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Reagan passed amnesty…

John the Libertarian on April 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Yeah, unfortunately, and that’s been a learning experience. At that point CA was solidly Republican, now all of sudden it’s nearly 45% Hispanic with those numbers skyrocketing daily, it’ll be 70% in 2 decades, and now supermajorities in CA are Democratic. Soon the rest of the country will be that way as the New Californians stream across to all the other states.

Oh, Reagan passed amnesty with the proviso that security would end the rampant violation of the borders. But that security and border control never happened. Since then untold millions waltzed across the border. Now Rubio in alignment with Schumer and McCain says again that we will have the border security a few years after we give all the border violators amnesty. Yeah right, we’ve heard that before. At minimum, get security in place for several years before we even consider amnesty — if you’re a Republican and you don’t agree with that you ought to be out of office now. Period. At the top of that list is Rubio, and his acolyte Ryan.

anotherJoe on April 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Marco here is a suggestion. . . .”keep your day job, if you can. You’ve already burnt that POTUS bridge”.

De Oppresso Liber on April 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I WISH the Democrats would promise to run Alex Sink or Debbie Wasserman-Schultz for Senate.

But Rubio isn’t qualified to be President yet. He needs the management experience of a term or two as Governor to gain the requisite skills.

Being President is about more than giving speeches, as we’ve seen under Obama.

Senators all SUCK as President without executive experience. Harding, Kennedy, Obama. At least the first two had the decency to die before a full term.

Adjoran on April 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Rubio will come up short again.

Bmore on April 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Meh. He might as well run for POTUS. I ain’t voting for him as Senator again.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Damned cat.

Lanceman on April 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I heartily agree with Adjoran above: if Rand & Rubio want some experience running things, let them run for the governorships of Kentucky and Florida first. I’m pretty well disposed towards Rand, but I’d be much happier seeing him run for the prime executive office after he’d had a term or two managing and delegating in his own state first.

Tzetzes on April 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

* except the dying part…

Tzetzes on April 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

“I won’t vote for Rubio for anything because he’s wrong on issue ____.”

Instead, we get a Dem, who is wrong on EVERY issue.

matthew8787

Sure, Rubio molests little boys, but it’s only one issue. He’s good on everything else, lol.

You’re absolutely right…that asinine logic has to stop. It’s not the number of issues, genius, it’s the quality. If you’re so worried about democrats staying in power, stop looking the other way when it comes to republicans who want to hand them 30 million new voters.

xblade on April 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

This man is headed to the White House!!!! :-)

terryannonline on April 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Si, for coffee, with obama.

Schadenfreude on April 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Reagan passed amnesty, do you hate his guts too?

John the Libertarian

Cuz, like, we’re never supposed to learn from the mistakes of the past or anything, lol. If Reagan were running around peddling this nonsense today knowing what we know now, I wouldn’t be too fond of him either.

dforston

We’ll make sure to include that oh his epitaph once conservatism vanishes completely with the influx of 30 million new democrat voters who reject conservatism. “That Rubio…sure, he helped Obama fundamentally transform America into a third world liberal Utopia, but at least he was conservative on everything else”, lol.

xblade on April 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM

House Republican traitors’ latest ploy for illegal alien amnesty:

bluegill on April 3, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Cruz 2016 !

Franklin100 on April 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Reagan passed amnesty, do you hate his guts too?

John the Libertarian on April 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

As has been pointed out umteem gazillion times to you and others like you. Reagan felt that out of all the actions he took as president, that his amnesty was his worst mistake. One he sincerely regretted. He learned the lesson from that. He set the history books so that people, like Rubio, could learn the lesson.
John the Tyrant

astonerii on April 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Do we know for sure that they pay their taxes? This seems to be the biggest knock on Rs running for office. I think I’d prefer Paul to Rubio unless he starts back tracking to get the precious moderates.

Kissmygrits on April 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Why are social liberals like Sheldon Adelson influential with the GOP establishment, including after elections, and conservative voters only until their votes are counted, if at all?

Having hundreds of millions of dollars to give away is great, but even more important is, if you don’t do and say what people like Sheldon Adelson say, they really won’t give you the money, and if you back-stab them, nobody thinks they will forgive you.

The liberals have needed money, but conservatives have needed votes. Only, over and over, the GOP establishment has called their bluff, and got their votes anyway. That’s why the establishment doesn’t care what the base thinks.

Conservatives will count only when they are as implacable about withholding their votes from sellouts and back-stabbers as liberals are about withholding their money.

Forgiveness will not work. A guy who will sell you out once will sell you out a million times.

It’s got to be: “thanks for your contribution. Next candidate please.”

David Blue on April 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

David Blue on April 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I am on the conditional vote place. My vote is conditional on their policies and their sticking to conservative values.
For this election what I want is.
Read My Lips, No Amnesty of any kind.
Read My Lips, Obamacare repealed in full.
Read My Lips, Balanced Budget Amendment to the States before next election!

astonerii on April 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I think he should run for reelection to the Senate, then come home & run for governor next time it’s open (2018) before entertaining any ideas about the presidency. Two terms as gov of a big, diverse state ought to show us if he’s learned any lessons along the way.

KKinFLA on April 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM