“Walking Dead” season finale grumble thread: Rick’s mad as hell and he’s not going to take it anymore

posted at 7:31 pm on March 31, 2014 by Allahpundit

Let’s get the praise out of the way: I liked what they did with the flashbacks. It’s a neat trick to kill off a major character — a beloved major character — earlier in the season and then shove him back in front of an unsuspecting audience after they’ve made peace with his loss. Never did I like Hershel as much as I liked him last night; it was a clever way to make the viewer feel Rick’s own grief. At first I was left wondering why, after the encounter with the rednecks, Rick would be flashing back to life at the prison rather than to the serenity of life before the zombie apocalypse with Lori and Carl. Then I remembered: No one liked Lori, Rick apparently included. He’d actually rather daydream about growing vegetables while surrounded by flesh-eating monsters than about his dearly departed wife. I also admired their guts in broaching the subject of rape in the redneck scene. There’d be a lot of that in a world as brutal as zombie Earth but the writers, for understandable reasons, have stayed away from it for fear of being accused of exploitation. (Offhand, Shane’s attack on Lori a few seasons ago is the only instance that I can remember.) Making a child the intended victim was even bolder, although you knew the attempt would be thwarted somehow.

So much for that. I feel like a chump after having wondered last week whether, maybe, possibly, if we’re lucky, Rick might be the major character who ends up dead in the season finale. In hindsight, that was foolish. Last night’s episode made clear that this isn’t a show about the zombie apocalypse or even about how people deal with the zombie apocalypse. It’s a show about Rick, whom the writers love unapologetically no matter how bored the rest of us get with him. The theme of last night’s ep was supposed to be Rick’s psychological journey from reluctant leader to coldly ruthless survivor, a la Walter White. But the big set piece, in which poor Carl nearly gets the “Deliverance” treatment from some hooting redneck, didn’t really bring that home. We were, I think, supposed to be horrified on some level at what Rick’s become (again, a la Walter White), but the circumstances of that scene didn’t lend themselves to that. Of course Rick would behave viciously, including tearing out a guy’s jugular with his teeth, to save himself from being shot in the face. Of course he’d savagely murder a man who intended to rape his child. None of this signals a mental or moral break of any kind; it’s all self-defense or defense of an innocent. If he’d had a gun in his hand and had declined to use it because he wanted to use his teeth on the redneck-in-chief, that would have meant something. As it is, what was he supposed to do?

The real significance of that scene to me was as a declaration by the writers that they will not, under any circumstances, kill Rick off. No matter how difficult the situation, no matter how implausible that anyone could survive it, Rick’s coming out alive. Absorb this: You had a gang of battle-hardened men armed to the teeth ambush him, Michonne, and Carl, hold guns held to their temples, and actually begin a countdown to blowing Rick’s brains out — and somehow Rick’s entire crew emerged unscathed while the rednecks were disarmed and slaughtered. They might as well have had a bullet bounce off his chest. The final line in the train car at the end was almost a joke on his own invulnerability: Of course the Terminus gang messed with the wrong people — they messed with Rick from “The Walking Dead.” He could kill all of them with his bare hands and still have enough left to knock Batman out, and probably will before next season’s opener is over. It got so bad last night that at first I thought the snipers at Terminus were trying to kill Rick when they were shooting at him from the rooftops; it seemed perfectly logical on this show that a guy armed with a machine gun firing from 15 yards away somehow wouldn’t be able to hit Our Hero despite using his best aim. I finally realized that they were shooting at him simply to make him run towards the train car (hence the heavy-handed metaphor about the rabbit trap earlier in the show), but that’s where we are on this show now. It’s a Rambo movie with Rick in the title role. I actually thought at one point last night, when he was burying the arms cache outside the walls of Terminus and looking a bit too long at some of his guns, that maybe he was thinking about suicide. That would have been a gut-wrenching but satisfying end to the character; no one could stop the show’s hero except himself, once he’d been irretrievably shattered by the brutality of the world around him. I don’t think there’s been another show on American television that’s had its main character commit suicide. This would have been pioneering. But no, nothing so interesting as that. Rick just wanted to protect his guns before another raid on another defended site.

As it turned out, no one of consequence was offed. (On the contrary, Hershel was brought back to life, so to speak.) I kept thinking it was coming — first during the redneck scene, then when the Terminus crew was herding Rick et al., into the train car, and then inside the train car itself. When they first went into the car, I thought the big reveal was going to be the rest of the gang — Glenn, Maggie, etc — dead and hanging from meat hooks, prepared to be turned into supper for the camp. Imagine that uppercut. Then, when someone began moving in the shadows, I thought maybe Glenn and the rest had turned into zombies and had been corraled by the Terminus people in the train car for whatever reason. That would have been a killer cliffhanger, Rick and Michonne forced to kill their now-dead friends in order to save themselves. Nope. Turns out Glenn and the gang are perfectly fine, just hanging out until Rick gets there and they hatch a master plan to somehow disarm and kill a few dozen heavily armed captors that’ll definitely work. (Maybe a major character will die in next season’s opener, a la the amazing head fake with Kate Mara’s character in season two of “House of Cards.”) It occurred to me that one satisfying ending that would have been true to the “Rick has changed” theme would have been to have Rick, Michonne, and Daryl kill a bunch of Terminus people on suspicion that something evil was going on — only to find out that the people there were sincere in wanting to help new arrivals find safety and sustenance. It would have been Rick’s paranoia, fostered by endless brutality, that blew their chance at what would have been a welcoming community. But no, clearly there is something evil going on — cannibalism was implied with a brief shot of human skeletons — and now we’re left to wonder for months. That’s supposed to be a cliffhanger but it really isn’t because Rick’s already promised to kick ass and take names and, per the rules of the show, when Rick’s in beast mode he’s as irresistible as a tornado. It’s not a cliffhanger, it’s a Rickhanger. Meh.

I checked Twitter after the show expecting to find grumbles about how nothing was resolved, no one died, and we didn’t find out a thing about the big mystery of Terminus after a season-long tease, but all it was was a bunch of “CAN’T EVEN CATCH MY BREATHE” [sic] tweets. The ratings are stratospheric. Nothing’s going to change. Why would it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yea…. Stupid TV show grumble thread… Bishop….

oscarwilde on March 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Yea…. Stupid TV show grumble thread…
oscarwilde on March 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Yet– here you are.

CW on March 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Rick is the star of the frickin’ show. You expected him to get killed off?

WitchDoctor on March 31, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Rick explaining to his son & the Sword girl how to make a rabbit trap. I knew at the point that TERMINUS was a trap. And that they were cannibals.

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Isn’t it implied that Beth is dead? I thought at least they’d find her corpse or some indication that she’d been eaten by the Terminus cannibals.

blue13326 on March 31, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Not quite sure why AP tortures himself with a show he doesn’t like but to each his own vice, I guess. BTW where has Bishop been?

hopeful on March 31, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Rick and Shane were the male leads, and it did take some guts to kill Shane off. I agree that its time for Rick to go as well, but don’t think the showrunners have the courage now.

Revenant on March 31, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Jeeze. Stop hating on rednecks! AP, you’re jerk!!!

ladyingray on March 31, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Yes, they were corralled into a dark small place and given powdered milk to eat — they are going to be served as veal.

It’s no surprise that those who will debase humanity the most by becoming cannibals are dirty hipsters.

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 7:46 PM

And Carol & Tyrese no doubt heard all the gunfire on their way to Terminus. They will be instrumental in breaking them all out.

Rick throws her out. She saves their azzes.

Carol is the Star of the show.

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Allapindit, you think too much! But you have a great imagination and should probably be one of the writers on the show. Good always is of the whole thing, too.

I’m glad you explained they were herding them into the train. I couldn’t figure out how they could miss.

Alana on March 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Rick had a innovative use for his teeth…

sorrowen on March 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM

*Analysis, not always

Alana on March 31, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Herschel was the catalyst to Rick’s de-nutting, made him want to put his hands in the earth, work the crops, turned him into famer Rick. Herschel was anti-second amendment when the group arrived on his land. He paid the price when the governor, the ultimate criminal who doesn’t go through a gun check to obtain his weapon, and he lost his head for that naïveté. Then, Rick goes dark side, you didn’t think ths redneck bloods were going to win, did you? Then, all that careful planning to enter Terminus on the sly for what? To walk in and get shuttled through the shoot and into the slaughterhouse? Should’ve stuck to being a famer.

Cheese Wheel on March 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM

When the show finally ends they’ll be only two survivors, Rick and Carl, just to spite you. Toss up as to whether Judith makes it. It depends if you are hoping she dies to hurt Rick, then for sure she’ll live. The only one with a Rick problem is you.

hadsil on March 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I heard the Terminus.gov characters shouting ‘yes we can’ as they were herding the Tea Party types into the rail car.

faraway on March 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM

It was too late — didn’t you see Carl walking funny afterwards? Why are you referring to Carl as a child? For years we had to hear how he was “a man!” not only a man but “the man!” Anyway, I always thought Beth would be his first though she is sure starting to show her age.

Knives/crossbows/swords are great for killing walkers but they should always carry a gun to kill people, too.

It was nice to finally see Andrew Lincoln appear on TTD.

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Soylent Green BBQ is People!!!!

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 7:52 PM

hadsil on March 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Who says Judith lived. She might have been some of that tender looking BBQ they were plating up when things went bad at Terminoose.

oldroy on March 31, 2014 at 7:52 PM

ALLAHPUNDIT IS OUR RICK GRIMES!

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 7:53 PM

blue13326 on March 31, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I didn’t think so. I suspect that we my see her as a new bad ass Carol type and help with the Terminus termination. She is on the outside and so is Rick’s stash of guns. I wondered why he put his own revolver in the stash and now I know.

Dr. Frank Enstine on March 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM

News you can use:

Retweeted by David Burge
Katie Pavlich ‏@KatiePavlich 1m

Hey thanks CNN for making sure we all knew the crucial fact that planes cannot fly on empty fuel tanks pic.twitter.com/P6uXuTCUgI

davidk on March 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM

And Rick did exactly what we all wanted. He killed that fatphuck nice and slow.

Rick wasn’t taking any chances losing his Python. Even if he can’t hold it correctly.

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM

It was nice to finally see Andrew Lincoln appear on TTD.

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I don’t understand why Rick’s group showed the selves to the first group of people they came across. I would have gone over every outbuilding/ other areas before showing myself.

The terminus leader is going to make the Governor of Woodbury look like a Disney Princess in comparison.

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I find Allah’s thoughts on the show fascinating. Virtually everything he says that would have made a good finale (Rick committing suicide, the rest of the group being walkers, etc) would have been awful. I would have HATED it. I am so glad Allah has nothing to do with the writing of this show.

Jack_Burton on March 31, 2014 at 7:57 PM

The terminus leader will end up dying brutally but via jugular ripping I do not know.

sorrowen on March 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM

The pervert guy reminded me of a Guido than a redneck.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Yeah, their reconnaissance sucked. But by then they were really hungry and smelled the bbq and said what the heck.

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM

The dirty hipster???!!!

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM

See, at this point, I have to disagree. The Governor was an evil piece of sh!t from the get-go. If Terminus is a cult or cannibals, I have to cut this Gareth clown some slack because he may truly be insane. The Governor was a petty little tyrant. Time will tell, I guess.

But they should have gotten Jimmi Simpson from Breakout Kings for that role.

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I was thinking they were going to kill off EVERYONE (Glenn and his group) but Rick, Carl, Daryl, and Michonne near the end of the episode. Which would have changed the show so much.

While I didn’t mind the episode (the scene with the rednecks was truly disturbing), I do wish they would have annihilated the group like that. But I don’t think they had the balls to do so.

Pity.

mjk on March 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM

This was actually a pretty good episode except for the fact Rick doesn’t realize Terminus is a trap after he explains trap-making 101 to Carl. And when do you ever disarm to strangers? I mean they should have learned that’s a no no especially since we’re only about 2 years into the Apocalypse and recent events should be fresh in their minds.
I did find it odd they returned the weapons to Rick’s crew, were the Terminus people possibly going to get Rick to join up? And the bones are definitely a sign it’s cannibalism, which were a mistake to show since we could have been in doubt to what Terminus was all about til next season and whether Rick’s new Rambo-mode was killing or endangering decent people.

Maxpower on March 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Come back next month for the next exciting episode, RickNado!

faraway on March 31, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Why waste all those candles? Unless they were preparing for a feast…

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Rick is going to go Rambo on those cannibals…

sorrowen on March 31, 2014 at 8:03 PM

It’s not a cliffhanger, it’s a Rickhanger. Meh.

Heh. They won because you can’t stop trying to outguess them. Which means you are still hooked. This show is addictive because they toy with cliches.

Maybe they writers led you on to expect that conclusion.

Maybe they are not toying with cliches. Maybe they are toying with you.

Everytime the series drags, and the audience thinks the game is over, they shake up reality, again

There is usually a point where the audience feels ripped off and bails. This is Zombie Matrix.

Otherwise, Ricks head would be flattened like a pancake by now

I don’t understand why Hollywood fears the Deliverance from Rednecks. Rednecks fear the Deliverance from the Hollywood types, and to me, the Terminus crowd looked like they could be the back up dancers for a Madonna concert. Which I believe is another head game. The writers are working their way through the cliches, backwards. I’m still hooked

entagor on March 31, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Maxpower on March 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM

No. Those ‘plates’ that Tasha Yar made up for them was full of drugged food.

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:03 PM

You know, as evil as the governor was portrayed was he wrong about kill or be killed. Think about it, except for the group looking out for the sick people in season one (remember that) every organized group Rick meets are monstrous killers. Cannibals, rapist marauders, the group they met in town when Hershal got drunk. Everyone except Rick, and even they hardened up to the point of abandoning people to die.

rob verdi on March 31, 2014 at 8:05 PM

>> I am so glad Allah has nothing to do with the writing of this show.

Allah should submit a script containing all his weird hang-ups and delusions.

Maxpower on March 31, 2014 at 8:05 PM

First, I guess I was wrong about cannibalism being too taboo. But I guess if you’re willing to show a guy attempting to rape a id, cannibalism isn’t such a tough next step.

So it’s pretty clear to me that AP won’t be happy no matter how the show is written, or what happens until they kill off Rick. Which frankly makes no sense because the whole show is about Rick and Carl, no matter what other characters they add on the periphery. I wonder what he’ll be complaining about for the next 6 TWD-free months?

Anyway. It was a good episode, lots of brutality, a running gunfight, lots of other stuff. I was happy with it, and glad they didn’t off a major character. That works better midseason (Lori, T-Dog, Hershel, Dale) than it does at the end of the season (Andrea).

PetecminMd on March 31, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I’m expecting the metrosexual cannibals will meet savage Rick…that will not be pretty…

sorrowen on March 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I agree and think that the Herschel flashbacks were not fond remembering but rather Rick driving his demons out. His desire to protect his family and others was the perfect breading ground for Herschel to plant his anti-survival clap trap. Rick is now free of those demons. Well mostly. He’s still a bit to trusting and walked right into that trap. Although it was a neat trick to give back the weapons to engender trust.

Dr. Frank Enstine on March 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Allah’s critical reviewing of this show is so wrong, and yet his political insights are so good. So strange.

Here’s what he missed, especially about Rick. Rick’s turn wasn’t to “bad Rick”, or back to him, but instead accepting who he is and who he has to be as a positive. He has finally accepted that being a good father means being a good protector. He has to be strong but he also has to still be caring, unlike the “tyrant Rick” days. To cross genres, he’s found balance in the force.

I agree that it’s not great that everyone feels like they are invulnerable, but remember that Hershel died just about 7 episodes before. While I knew most the group would survive, there were points where I was convinced someone would die. And there’s still their escape from terminus for that.

As far as Rick being unkillable, I totally disagree, but mainly because I watched the Talking Dead after the show. The insights into the writer’s and producer’s minds are invaluable, and Allahpundit would really improve the quality of his grumbles if addressed what the writers are ACTUALLY doing, instead of what he THINKS they are doing.

For instance, the Talking Dead had the actor playing Rick and the Executive Producer, and the actor was basically begging to not be killed next season (or that’s how it sounded to me). The EP said Rick will be in a lot next season, but I got the impression his death was definitely on the table, especially since he’s finished his “arc”. Now we get half a season of him being uber-Rick (both violent but decent) just before he’s offed in a gut-wrenching mid-season finale.

Nessuno on March 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Rednecks are not hillbillies. Hillbillies are Deliverance. Hillbillies are treacherous. I am a redneck of sorts. And there are bars places in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee that I, as a white southerner, dare not go.

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

The Terminusians did not wear their bike helmets.

faraway on March 31, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It’s sort of weird that they would take their clothes. Who would want Maggie’s old dirty poncho? And where are the walker hoards around their compound?

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 8:12 PM

So less Walter White and more Jack Bauer then.

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 8:16 PM

So, we have to wait until next Halloween to see how they slip outside to obtain their weapons and then go medieval on their hipster a$$es. I hope it happens in 1 episode.

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Andrew Lincoln’s agent will eventually make them do it.

AMC is not going to want to pay this guy the Gandolfini-level salary he has coming.

budfox on March 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM

OT, according to BOR, ou MKH is under the weather today. Get well soon.

rbj on March 31, 2014 at 8:19 PM

BTW- I think the reason why Rick is bulletproof is because the series will end with Rick back in the hospital with Lori standing over his bed……. It was all a dream. ;0

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Trying to understand the connection the entertainment industry likes to make between rednecks and homo sexual rape.

1. Deliverance
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Walking Dead

I have lived among what you Yankees call rednecks all my life and never have I seen or heard of it happening among that community. But to hear the entertainment industry tell it, it’s a frackking plague.

john1schn on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Nessuno on March 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I think you misheard or misinterpreted what he was saying. Everyone not connected to the show was telling him he was going to die and it was weird for him to hear.

Rick is the show. He isn’t going anywhere.

Blake on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

1. Deliverance
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Walking Dead

john1schn on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

It helps if you play the banjo.

Cheese Wheel on March 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

sorrowen on March 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Sorry, I disagree; it’s gonna be f*cking AWESOME!

john1schn on March 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Yeah. The Governor will be his doctor, Darryl a custodian, Carol a nurse,should I go on, Auntie Em? :P

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:26 PM

hopeful on March 31, 2014 at 7:43 PM

AP isn’t torturing himself, he’s the Mozart of post bait. He makes a few taps on his keyboard and we come screaming out to fill the website with “Oh noes!!!111!!” posts while he and his bosses laugh all the way to the bank.

I take my hat off to you, sir!

jnelchef on March 31, 2014 at 8:30 PM

john1schn on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Rednecks make Hollyweird metrosexual beta types question their manhood.

They make fun of what they fear.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Allah should submit a script containing all his weird hang-ups and delusions.

Maxpower on March 31, 2014 at 8:05 PM

He roots for the Jets. What else would you expect a mind like that to come up with?

jon1979 on March 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Stop that!

Unless y’all can figure out where Victoria Principal fits in.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I explained the past two threads what the deal is with Terminus.

Terminus is a Roman god of protection who required a human sacrifice. That’s what the trophy room was they ran past.

Kirkman just stated that what the audience believes is usually wrong, so this is not going to be straight-up cannibalism like the comics.

Terminus is a cult. Gareth is the high-priest.

What I’m wondering is what’s the ritual. Do they make people kill, and possibly eat, their own to prove loyalty?

And the stripped bones could be part of how they can keep the zombies away with such weak security.

As for Rick, before he would have either avoided Terminus or gone head-up like a sheriff assessing the situation.

But last night, they stalked Terminus, invaded and ready to kill. Only because Gareth talked him out of it, were they captured.

Couple that with Rick’s ability to bite a man’s jugular out, like a zombie, and we see a guy becoming the Governor.

What motivated the Governor to go into full-tilt ruthless mode? His daughter and his people. Same thing with Rick.

Next season, Rick’s either going to have a “conversation” with the Governor ala Lori, or admit to Daryll/Michonne that the Guv was right in his approach to outsiders.

budfox on March 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Unless y’all can figure out where Victoria Principal fits in.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM

She wakes up in bed with Bob Newhart. A dream within a dream.

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

budfox on March 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Love ya’ man…but you take this way too seriously. Did you recognize Tasha Yar?

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Suzanne Pleshette, Mary Frann, Victoria PrincipalWet well, some kind of dream any way.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 8:38 PM

budfox on March 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Wrong.

“I was at a dead-end job taking orders from a superior half my age with an IQ to match.”

The governor was a petty child and King of Woodbury was payback to what life did to him.

In fact, there’s much to compare between obama and the Governor.

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Rick’s keen powers of observation must come from Dale’s spotty tutelage. He spies Glenn’s watch and didn’t think to ask what the Terminoids’ pat-downs were searching for? Yes, it was a quick inventory in hindsight to prevent a surprise counter-attack upon capture, but Rick’s gang were overtly carrying those arms anyway.

That was some turnaround by Kris Kristoffe–er, Joe. Ugh, I’d offer my kingdom of G.I. Joes for TWD adversaries more cunning than such generic, Bondesque henchmen.

Michionne’s backstory, a snoozer rendered irrelevant by its tardiness, smacks of face-saving revisionism to cover her initial unprovoked hostility towards Woodberry. I’ll say this, her poor taste in men is pathological. “If you’re ok, Rick, then I’m ok.” Retch.

Rick’s cattle-car pep talk diminished the mediocre cliffhanger. Had Carl been shot, or any other group member died, this season would have ended on a high note.

These wanderers are surrounded by decay and ruin, yet they still yearn to unwind with wanton destruction, e.g. Beth and Daryl’s torching the house in the woods? To heck with these clowns.

I hope Gareth has enough friends in low places to weather Rick’s fury and not fall into the same patterns as the Gov did.

derit on March 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Complaining that they didn’t kill off the main character. Allah reaches new heights of stupidity. Wow. I think he’ just trollin’ us at this point.

Anyway. Awesome episode. I was wondering just how the hell he they were going to get out of that fix on the road, when Rick took a chunk out of that guys neck. It reminded me of the scene in Rob Roy where Tim Roth’s character beats Rob Roy in a duel, and has the sword at his neck. How does Liam Neeson get out of it? He grabs the blade with his bare hand and cleaving the other guy almost in two. It’s all about getting down and dirty.

Dongemaharu on March 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

budfox on March 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

What I’m wondering is what would have compelled anybody to put on that nasty dirty poncho.

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Dongemaharu on March 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

When your only son is about to be ass-raped by some filthy inbreed, you have nothing to lose at that point.

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

How do you know Tasha Yar didn’t wash it?

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I briefly thought that the reason why the zombies weren’t around that place is because the Terminus people were eating them too…. But ew.

mjk on March 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Maybe the people at Terminus have had governor-like experiences and have now gone mental/cautious. That would explain the signs that said : “Never Again. Never Trust. We First, Always”, but that doesn’t make them cannibal yet the bones are a strong indication that they are plus they seem to be the only people in the Apocalypse to have meat, and lots of it.

Maxpower on March 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM

100,000 words. Looks like Ace wrote it and enjoyed it.

Valiant on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Put me in the column of someone who really enjoys the show and I think you ought to stop watching if you don’t enjoy it so much.

I can’t figure out why anyone would watch a show they don’t like.

Rick was awesome last night, and I’m even more worried about how Carl is going to turn out now. But I loved it when Rick told his best buddy, “You’re my brother.” Damn, that was awesome.

Great show.

Baggi on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Did you ever once consider that, given the high and continuing ratings and enthusiasm for the show, that the problem here is YOU?

You’ve hated the show from Season One, Episode 1, “Days Gone By.” And yet you continue to watch every episode, whining and complaining all the way. Maybe you’ve liked a couple along the way. Who cares?

You’re like a Santorum supporter. You have already lost, you know you’ve lost, but you won’t give up because you enjoy making trouble. And if Obama wins and zombies take over, well, it’s a price you’re willing to pay because you wanted Santorum.

Just slit your wrists or something.

Adjoran on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Allah, I don’t know why you expect them to kill Rick off when he’s the main character in the comic book which has been running for well over 100 issues. The show is far far far behind….

Queasy on March 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM

What I didn’t get last night:

1) Carl’s in the car, sleeping.

2) The gang ambushes Rick’s group.

3) The car doors are locked (why else couldn’t the guy just pull Carl out?)

4) Carl wakes up and sees the gang has the drop on his group.

Why didn’t Carl just shoot the guy outside of the car? He’s got a gun. He’s killed before. It would have given Rick and the others their opening to kick ass.

Mitoch55 on March 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Baggi on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Adjoran on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

You-you-you…BUZZKILLS!

Can’t a man whine in his own sandbox without some true believers harshing the mellow?

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Terminus is a cult. Gareth is the high-priest.

Thanks for sharing that for the TD averse. I figured Terminus cannot just harvest everyone who wanders in–wastes too unrecoverable knowledge of the beforetime. Bob’s medical training (pharmacist?) should preclude him (Or Rainman/blasterMaster) from the dinner plate, giving him the chance to die for Rick–like everyone will at some point.

derit on March 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

AP, AP, AP

First & foremost this is a business. They are not going to hurt the brand for some abstract concept of boldness. That’s why Daryl will probably last to the end.

Another thing to note is that Rick, Carl & Andrea are the only characters that are still going 120+ issues into the comics. Kirkman is heavily involved. This is Rick’s show & he’ll most likely go like Tony Soprano – the series ends when he does.

Why not just enjoy the fact that it’s better than 90% of the crud out there & they have yet to have any stealth liberal BS polluting it?

kim roy on March 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Mitoch55 on March 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Cause then he wouldn’t get to experience a Guido whispering sweet nothings in his ear.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I’m even more worried about how Carl is going to turn out now.

Baggi on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Is it just me but, apocolypse or no apocolypse, doesn’t Carl seem more than a little slow?

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 9:10 PM

kim roy on March 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Well thank the apocalypse they ain’t following the comic books.

They waited way to long to kill of Andrea.

They should have freed up katana chick earlier.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 9:10 PM

It depends. On episodes when the writers are doing decaf, yeah.

When somebody remembers to plug in the espresso machine, not so much.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 9:14 PM

1. Deliverance
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Walking Dead

john1schn on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Just dehumanizing those in flyover country.

John Deaux on March 31, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Biting Joe’s throat out was awesome.

John the Libertarian on March 31, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I figured Glenn for the rape victim. Herschel, the sod buster, lulled Rick and the others into complacency. His dime store philosophizing doesn’t play any better in flashback. The only person with true leadership qualites is Carol, who has grown from abused wife to clear thinking leader. The pack desperately misses Merle’s inspired humanism.

kingsmill on March 31, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Well thank the apocalypse they ain’t following the comic books.
They waited way to long to kill of Andrea.
They should have freed up katana chick earlier.
cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

They could never follow the comics. Surprised they did the Carl bit. Kirkman said in his wrap up that they had to get AMC on board for that.

They neutered Andrea & turned into a waffling peacenik, so they had to kill her off.

I do agree with Katana chick. The pace can sometimes be slow.

kim roy on March 31, 2014 at 9:25 PM

it’s a frackking plague.

john1schn on March 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Three instances does not a plague make. I think Deliverance was the worst offender of the three. The guy in the Walking Dead? I had no idea he was a redneck. And then you have Daryl, who is an awesome redneck character.

John the Libertarian on March 31, 2014 at 9:27 PM

A few observations/questions:

1. Why one of the Termites is walking around their compound in body armor? If it was for the impending ambush, he’s not keeping the secret too well.

2. Who the hell wears a poncho in Georgia? I’ve lived in the South my whole life and I have yet to see anyone wear one that wasn’t plastic with a picture of a cartoon mouse on it.

3. Who sees the dirty used poncho and says, “Oh, that is so mine! I’m gonna wear it right now.”

4. Why did Joe’s group seek revenge? They obviously place no value on human life, so why be upset that someone killed one of their guys right after a different one died in a fight over who was going to lay in the bed?

5. They never showed what their reconnaissance revealed that made Rick feel safe to go in.

6. Why not send in a single scout just in case. Have they run into any group so far that had good intentions?

John Deaux on March 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM

AP, I don’t know why you’re so eager to kill off Rick, who has always been established as the protagonist of the show. Sure, feeding Rick to zombies or cannibals would seem edgy and out of the box–similar in tone and effect to the darkly funny scene in the science fiction movie ‘Deep Blue Sea’ when Samuel L. Jackson’s character is suddenly and completely unexpectedly eaten by a giant, genetically enhanced shark while delivering a stirring motivational speech to the other survivors, but I don’t think it would move the story forward in this case.

My big gripe with the show isn’t with the invulnerability of the lead characters. We’re following those characters, that core group, and we’re meant to sympathize with and like them and feel we know them. That’s genre storytelling 101, so no complaints. What I don’t like–what I’ve never liked–is the lackadaisical way these people behave in a zombie apocalypse. Take Carl, for example. That kid hasn’t followed a single explicit order since the show’s inception. To survive for any length of time in any kind of combat environment, there must be a leader, there must be rules, and there must be obedience, instant and absolute. Any other system than one involving tight, disciplined unit cohesion would soon result in death for everyone. Carl should be zombie chow by now. The only reason he isn’t is because It’s In The Script (IITS), and that’s bad writing, plain and simple.

troyriser_gopftw on March 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Mitoch55 on March 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM

The touchy feely walking in the woods with newly feminized Michonne made Carl a eunuch. In his earlier phase he would have blown away the gang of marauders. Now he is left defenseless. He hopes the LGBT community is still extant to help him cope with his confused sexual identity issues after his same sex abuse.

kingsmill on March 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM

…Well, way to alert that spoiler ahead of time. Last I checked this was only THE WALKING DEAD THREAD.

D!ck. Sort of. (I probably never will take the time to watch HOC, in fairness.)

Hawkins1701 on March 31, 2014 at 9:36 PM

..Well, way to alert that spoiler ahead of time. Last I checked this was only THE WALKING DEAD THREAD.

D!ck. Sort of. (I probably never will take the time to watch HOC, in fairness.)

Hawkins1701 on March 31, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Ah, TWD Grumble thread…

…where Eeyores’ come to cry.

:o)

BlaxPac on March 31, 2014 at 9:36 PM

^^Dup. Ah well. We’re even now AP. ;-)

Hawkins1701 on March 31, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I kinda wish you gave this sort of negative attention to Amnesty :P

Ukiah on March 31, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Rick throws her out. She saves their azzes.

Carol is the Star of the show.

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM

This is exactly what will happen. Carol and / or Tyrese may die in the process of getting Rick and the Gang out of the cargo train, but the flashback scenes will be of Rick banishing Carol before she rides to the rescue.

Overall, and compared to the rest this season, it was a pretty good episode. It’s soap opera aspect that make this show awful at times.

It’d be a lot more interesting and realistic if they threw in some cannibals. To heck with catching and eating itty, bitty rabbits. Show Maggie gutted and spinning on a barbeque spit over a low flame, while the bad guys sit a round spitting and whittling and drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels. Now that’d be kind of interesting.

Ruckus_Tom on March 31, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Cannibalism is the obvious thing, but for that reason it may be the headfake. I kind of suspect the whole maze (obvious analogy to Rick’s snare) may have been a sort of crazy “orientation by fire” trust-building exercise for new Terminus arrivals. Here’s a few things that point that way:

1) They gave them back their guns. Did they replace live ammo with blanks? They might have also reduced the draw on Daryl’s compound bow. Can’t do much with a sword, of course, except keep your distance.

2) Baby formula on the train steps. Did Carol and Tyreese already go through orientation?

3) The title “A” and all the doors marked “A.” Almost seems like a psych experiment. Maybe path “B” is for people they decide to kill.

4) Shooting at their feet. (Of course it’s also possible they just want to keep the meat fresh.)

5) Why a train car? Train cars move. Do they have an orientation program that runs along the track, something to build loyalty?

6) The shawl, the watch, the riot gear — a deliberate provocation? Are they really that sloppy?

Of course it’s also possible the welcome meat is human, and either way it looks like it was drugged (which is presumably how they got Glenn’s group).

TallDave on March 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Ruckus_Tom on March 31, 2014 at 9:41 PM

A waste of a perfectly fine female in my opinion.

Dr. Frank Enstine on March 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM

A waste of a perfectly fine female in my opinion.

Dr. Frank Enstine on March 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Please. Only one worth a damn in4 seasons is Tara. She’s the only one with a nice chubby can.

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 9:56 PM