Sebelius: Oh, by the way, insurers tell us 10-20% of ObamaCare enrollees haven’t paid their premiums yet

posted at 6:41 pm on March 31, 2014 by Allahpundit

She’d happily tell you the official HHS number rather than rely on insurance company data if not for the small detail that HHS hasn’t built a payment system on Healthcare.gov yet. Upshot: Figure somewhere between 500,000 and 1.5 million “sign-ups” for ObamaCare are nonpayment cases who’ll sooner or later be bounced from the rolls.

She also told HuffPo today that they got a “Galfianakis bounce” from Obama’s appearance on that dopey Funny Or Die sketch. SNL had some fun with that this weekend — watch the second clip below to see — but Ace is right that the skit’s not as anti-O as some righties are making it out to be. At worst, it slaps him for being a bit too willing to indulge the dumbest impulses of the Kardashians’ fan base. But it’s all for a good cause and O himself is depicted as a reluctant panderer rather than a guy who’ll coopt anything, no matter how little it has to do with him, to get a little extra face time with his core constituencies.

Make sure to watch to the end of the first clip or else you’ll miss one of the more enjoyably awkward silent treatments captured on video in recent years.

News9.com – Oklahoma City, OK – News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Comments

…so that means…probably half….haven’t!

KOOLAID2 on March 31, 2014 at 6:42 PM

She lies…

albill on March 31, 2014 at 6:46 PM

…so that means…probably half….haven’t!

KOOLAID2 on March 31, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Exactly.

BoxHead1 on March 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM

When people with no credibility like her talk, it feels like torture…….. And after a while you feel sympathy, like you`re thinking “What mental illness has taken this person`s mind?”

ThePrez on March 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM

It’s a done deal. We ‘all’ (those allowed to live) will go marching in lock step into a brighter future of gummint mandated ‘health’, as defined Dr Kevorkian clones and he manufacturers of a queer, green colored biscuit…

vnvet on March 31, 2014 at 6:52 PM

“Lots of companies have different timetables for when their new customers have to send their first payment.”

Not really you cupid stunt. That’s just one more of your filthy lies.

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM

ThePrez on March 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Ummm, nope.

oscarwilde on March 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM

So then it’s really 30-40% that haven’t paid…

d1carter on March 31, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Sorta on topic: Doc fix passed. If signed, also pushes ICD 10 back a year…

WitchDoctor on March 31, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I figure considerably more than that, provided that 6 million figure isn’t already a lie.

We’re talking some serious dough in a time when nobody has a lot of excess money lying around to pay for a product that, for most, the deductible will never be met in a given year.

Once they figure it’s wasted money, and can’t be denied once they do get sick, keep an eye out for a bunch of people who just quit paying after several months.

Provided that 6 million figure is not a lie.

Does it appear that I don’t believe that 6 million figure?

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I remember when SNL used to mercilessly rip presidents a new one and not playfully pimp his agenda. Pathetic.

crrr6 on March 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM

So lemme get this straight,
in 2008 there were 45-50 million people without healthcare, with a bunch of them dying on the streets, everyday.
Along came Hussein and
then after 4 years , when the population has increased even more, only 6 or maybe 7 or maybe 9 million have ObamaCAIR ,
BUT
more than 6 million have lost their health insurance, and about
12-15 million will be losing it soon,
AND
out of those who have ” enrolled” nobody knows if anyone has paid or not ,
So
WTF hss ObamaCAIR achieved for the 50 million who had no healthcare in 2008 ?
When and why this figure of 7 or 9 million replace the 50 million number ?

burrata on March 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Does Amazon count everything in someones cart as purchases?

Sven on March 31, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Sorry, no way do I believe that only 10 to 20% haven’t paid up.

DaveDief on March 31, 2014 at 7:03 PM

crrr6 on March 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM

And I remember when you would thank president obama back when you had one less ‘r’.

;)

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 7:05 PM

And even among those who have paid their first monthly installment, or 2 or 3, how many of those are going to keep paying every month, month after month, if they don’t even go to a doctor or go, but as their high deductible hasn’t been reached, have to pay just as much, or more than, what they would have paid without ObumblerCare?

VorDaj on March 31, 2014 at 7:06 PM

What am I doing, talking to the freakin’ wall?

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Lanceman on March 31, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Temporary bout with insanity. ;-) I’m back though.

crrr6 on March 31, 2014 at 7:11 PM

When and why this figure of 7 or 9 million replace the 50 million number ?

burrata on March 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM

No matter the cost or the outcome, all that really matters is that the president tried to help 50 million uninsured.

Mark Boabaca on March 31, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I bet the actual figure is more like 500,000 – 1,000,000 after you subtract out the Medicaid sign ups and the people who already had insurance. We spent a trillion dollars for this and the worse is yet to come.

Obamacare must be repealed or it will drag our country into the financial crapper with Greece. Our defense budget will not be able to take on Mexico much less Russia.

Kaffa on March 31, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I’m sure if they lie long enough, they’ll reach the 7M signups, too.

Kissmygrits on March 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I’m pretty sure you must pay before the first day of coverage.

faraway on March 31, 2014 at 7:26 PM

So, a conservative estimate is to multiply the lie by a factor of three: yep, 30-60% sounds more like it …

ShainS on March 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.

lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

You got that one right lostmofo.

slickwillie2001 on March 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Does Amazon count everything in someones cart as purchases?

Sven on March 31, 2014 at 7:03 PM

This is how you know the Left is a cult. The media believes their own chants now.

faraway on March 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM

My son started receiving nagging Obamacare e-mails last Friday with a sense of urgency pressing him to hurry and sign up due to the deadline. He is soon to turn 26 year old and he and I perused the site to see what they would offer him since he is unemployed. As it turns out they made us provide all the details on me as his father before they would give him a quote and offered no subsidy discount. The cheapest plan was $175/mo for a $6500 annual deductible plan which is more in the first year than he has spent in his whole life on medical expenses. He never picked a policy but with all the data we had to enter I’m thinking he may be one of the 6m folks they are counting even though he did not and will not buy into it.

What a complete rip-off to expect an unemployed single 26 year old to pay $175 a month for the privilege to pay the first $6500 annually of his medical costs. I’ll bet these fools buying these policies don’t understand how the deductible works. It pissed me off also that the government considers a 26 year old living at home is not an adult and his parents income is used to calculate the subsidy. I guess we should have gone to a facilitator who would have directed him to not say he lives at home to get a subsidy.

Anyone who defends Obamacare has to lie to make their case because the facts don’t support it and at the $2t price tag expect they could have just divided it up and given it to the uninsured and left the rest of us to freely choose what we want.

tej on March 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Certain that number is closer to 50%…

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM

faraway on March 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM

When Nurse Ratched says it is so….it is so.

Athos on March 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM

This story was featured on our local news tonight.

South Florida resident Donald Maxwell said he tried calling the government hotline for weeks.

“I never got anybody. It said they were overloaded and then it just cut off,” said Maxwell, who finally decided to go in person Monday to get some help. He learned he earns too much to qualify for Medicaid and didn’t qualify for a tax subsidy to help him buy insurance.

“It’s the most frustrating system. I’ve paid into the system since I was 16-years-old and now that I need it I can’t get a dime,” said Maxwell, a hospital respiratory therapist who lost his job last year.

I thought this crapload of a law was created specifically to help people like this guy.

Yeah, right.

Flora Duh on March 31, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Mark Boabaca on March 31, 2014 at 7:16 PM

So he tried to help 50 million in 2008 because he is black and we are a racist country.
Now, in 2014, he has helped practically zero people,
destroyed about 6 million ( with 10-12 million more to be destroyed ),
making the Mooch proud of her country for the first time,
because we are still a racist country
or because
he is black ?
Hmmm…..

burrata on March 31, 2014 at 7:42 PM

tej on March 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM

My daughter lost her insurance recently so she checked into getting a plan for her, her husband, and their 2 children ages 8 and 10. $1850 per month with a $10,000 annual deductible. She says no way they can afford that, so now the 4 of them are uninsured.

Flora Duh on March 31, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Crapola!

workingclass artist on March 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Seriously, who would sign up for a new insurance policy and NOT immediately pay their first month’s premium?

Don’t you want it to go into effect right away since you are WITHOUT HEALTH INSURANCE?

And don’t you find it frightening that the woman who is in charge of this huge government bureaucracy and the administrator of this gigantic remaking of our health insurance industry is so clueless as to how buying insurance actually works?

I mean, what’s with not understanding that no premium=no coverage? There is no “differing timetable for different insurance companies”; well, maybe Company A will let you go 30 days before they cancel the policy, where Company B might hang on for 45 days, but they’ll all cancel the policy for non-payment.

Grownups understand this, right? A middle schooler might not fathom insurance, but even 20somethings know what happens when you “forget” to pay your car insurance.

But then again, she is the woman who, when asked, said an unmarried man’s mother might need to use his maternity benefits, presumably because in her world, your mom can be covered under your policy if you like really want her to be, yo.

Pless1foEngrish on March 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Nope,nope,, nope.

wolly4321 on March 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Since when has anybody gotten insurance without paying the premiums? It’s simple stuff, if these “enrollees” actually paid for something, they should be insured…if not, they aren’t. If I buy auto insurance online and don’t pay within a reasonable amount of time…boom, I’m canceled. There is not a business on this planet who would continue to sell insurance without collecting premiums or EVEN KNOWING how many people had paid. The US Government would, but no responsible company would. I feel bad for the idiots who signed up for this and actually get sick, because Lord only knows what they’ve gotten themselves into.

scalleywag on March 31, 2014 at 8:21 PM

What do you get if you try to make a government out of academics and politicians-for-life, none of whom have ever worked a constructive day in their worthless, pampered lives? Why, the O’Bozo administration, of course:

No. No, they don’t have different timetables. You pay for your insurance the moment you wish to be insured…you ridiculous skank.

Jaibones on March 31, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I lost my health plan effective 11:59 p.m. tonight, though I’m now on a temporary krap plan that’s really just catastrophic coverage with a 6-12 month time limit. The old plan I had for almost exactly a decade, during which time monthly premiums increased by 40 percent — not good, but the similar plan offered through ObamaCare jumped the premium 25 percent over current levels.

And those are the 2014 rates, based on the pixie dust belief that 35-and-unders were going to march off to the boxcars willingly to buy overpriced plans. Once the new numbers are factored it — based on the real number of ObamaCare enrollees, not on what Sebellius or Pelosi say they are — 25 percent may look like a modest number compared to the 2015 premiums.

jon1979 on March 31, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Pless1foEngrish on March 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM

The people who thought it was free. I can say I know a few.

Chuck Schick on March 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Since the only thing 0bama can do is lie, why would we not think sebelies lies too?

Incidentally, had a Utah scholar in the office the other day waiting to go into a class room and talk about college/university to jr hi students. He mentioned that he thought it was disgusting that I had so many grandchildren (11). “They will be using all the resources/causing all the pollution.”
I tried to remind him that they are all talented and educated or on their way to be and would pay his health care and social security.
All I could think about was Agenda 21!
I wanted him out of my office asap!

Bambi on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

All I could think about was Agenda 21!I wanted him out of my office asap!
Bambi on March 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

This.

AH_C on March 31, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I hope she has to share a room in hell with Nancy Pelosi.

Labamigo on March 31, 2014 at 9:50 PM

crrr6 on March 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Like when Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 41, and Bush 43 were in office.

Hawkins1701 on March 31, 2014 at 9:54 PM

There must be a field in this database that is tied in some way to the selected insurer and is returned to the feds so it can be used for tax verification.

Just spitballing here, but if I say I’m insured to my state DMV, I could be audited. They would check some piece of data against the insurer. If I paid, I’m legit.

What field will the IRS collect from the insurer to verify I carried insurance every month? That is the data to be subpoenaed, along with the “referral source,” or how they enrolled. This can be figured out, n’est pas?

winoceros on March 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Pless1foEngrish on March 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM

The people who thought it was free. I can say I know a few.

Chuck Schick on March 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Yep; Peggy Joseph and Obama’s Stash!

slickwillie2001 on March 31, 2014 at 11:13 PM

insurers tell us 10-20% of ObamaCare enrollees haven’t paid their premiums yet

Listen closely. She said that was the number for initial enrollees. In other words, of those who actually jumped through all the broken hoops in October, 80-90% paid. Do you think that number is going to hold up for March enrollees?

I wouldn’t call that “silent treatment.” She wasn’t asked a question, and, once she realized the reporter wanted a response, she certainly wasn’t going to break the awkward silence with an even more awkward response to an open-ended statement about how bad things were. It’s the reporter who’s to blame for not phrasing it as a question.

calbear on April 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM