Rich man who pled guilty to raping his young daughter gets probation because he wouldn’t “fare well” in prison

posted at 1:21 pm on March 31, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via David Freddoso, money can’t buy happiness and it can’t buy love but maybe it can buy you a light sentence after you molest your three-year-old.

All that’s missing is the word “affluenza.”

A Superior Court judge who sentenced a wealthy du Pont heir to probation for raping his 3-year-old daughter noted in her order that he “will not fare well” in prison and needed treatment instead of time behind bars, court records show.

Judge Jan Jurden’s sentencing order for Robert H. Richards IV suggested that she considered unique circumstances when deciding his punishment for fourth-degree rape. Her observation that prison life would adversely affect Richards was a rare and puzzling rationale, several criminal justice authorities in Delaware said. Some also said her view that treatment was a better idea than prison is a justification typically used when sentencing drug addicts, not child rapists…

“It’s an extremely rare circumstance that prison serves the inmate well,” said Delaware Public Defender Brendan J. O’Neill, whose office represents defendants who cannot afford a lawyer. “Prison is to punish, to segregate the offender from society, and the notion that prison serves people well hasn’t proven to be true in most circumstances.”…

Defense lawyer Michael W. Modica said he has argued that clients should be spared prison because of medical or mental issues, but judges routinely reject the suggestion. He said he recently persuaded a prosecutor not to recommend prison for a client who had cardiac bypass surgery while awaiting sentencing for a DUI, and the judge sentenced the man to home confinement.

“I’ve never heard of the judge saying in general that he is not going to do well,” Modica said. “Who thrives in jail?”

His ex-wife also accused him of abusing their infant son but prosecutors didn’t have enough evidence to make that charge stick. They charged him instead with two counts of second-degree rape of a child over accusations made by his daughter, which would have meant two mandatory sentences of 10 years each. The D.A. later offered him a plea to one count of fourth-degree rape of a child which could mean up to 15 years in prison but which, inexplicably, carries no mandatory time. Sentencing guidelines for the crime suggest a sentence of up to two and a half years, although they allow for no jail time — and yes, you read that correctly. Richards took the plea, leaving his fate to the judge. Sentence: Eight years in prison — all suspended in favor of probation because, she said, prison would be a rough on the 6’4″ healthy defendant. All of which is to say, it sounds like there were three distinct failures here. The prosecutor, who may have had good intentions in wanting to spare Richards’s daughter the ordeal of a trial, offered him a plea bargain that was too lenient. The sentencing guidelines, for whatever strange reason, actually contemplated a sentence like that for a crime as horrendous as child rape. And the judge, rather than mandate protective custody for Richards in prison so that other inmates couldn’t exact “rough justice,” decided to let him off with a wrist slap instead. All of this happened in 2009 and only recently came to light, by the way. What this guy has been up to since then, and whether any of it gave him access to children, is anyone’s guess.

Here’s the kicker, just to make sure your day’s thoroughly ruined.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This guy should be singing in a very high voice.

oldbearak on March 31, 2014 at 2:28 PM

SHE?

*eyes narrowing*

Grrr…

Fallon on March 31, 2014 at 2:29 PM

@Schadenfreude

Where I am from we had no socialism. Nope just dog eat dog, every man for himself and the richer getting richer on the back of the poor. I wish I could tell you how where I am from, working 24/7 without break and giving it all you’ve got meant you would get a shot at success Nope! Where I am from you slave and all you have to show for it is more slaving. I know that there is this romantic idea that all it takes is to work hard, but I am sorry i don’t have the luxury of your bubble. I am sure it very comfy in there.

But like with every place in the world, the rich getting away with murder was the norm where I am from. I fell right at home here.

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

What a load of nonsense. Why can’t you tell us where you are from? Are you worried that someone is going to go there and ask if they know a “coolrepublica”?

Also, I was told by one of your liberal brethren once that it was perfectly okay to be infantilized and a government welfare case because my background was bad and I shouldn’t be expected to improve myself to a productive member of society. Now I live a quite comfortable middle class life. I was told I was “exceptional” and not to expect others to do it. Yeah, it was exceptional that I got a bit of an education and worked very very hard for a number of years. Exceptional only to liberals.

I didn’t worry about who was rich and who was getting more than me. There’s always going to be someone better looking, richer, smarter or whatever so just to do the best *I* can do.

It’s people like you that keep others down with this tripe about victimization and worrying about what everyone else is getting.

kim roy on March 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM

the argument that child molesters should be let go because their crimes are abhorred so much among their fellow criminals that they’d struggle in prison is nonsense and not society’s problem to worry about.

LukeinNE on March 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM

The interactions that go on between child molesters and the rest of the prison population is something that I would consider to be, in the grand scheme of things, justice.

SubmarineDoc on March 31, 2014 at 2:31 PM

SHE?

*eyes narrowing*

Grrr…

Fallon on March 31, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Yeh, I know. Wonder if she is a mother? Nah,can’t be…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, he wouldn’t fare well in prison. Convicts take a real dim view of child rapists.

GarandFan on March 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM

This explains the judge.

The Hon. Jan Jurden presided over the ceremony at the New Castle County Courthouse Jan. 11, the 20th anniversary of the couple’s first date.

This does too

Matt Denn, the Democratic lieutenant governor, and Jan Jurden, a Superior Court judge, gave readings during the ceremony. The foursome — Denn, Jurden, Fennell and Goodman — had all practiced law together at one time at Young Conaway.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM

S/b in quotes

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Yeh, I know. Wonder if she is a mother? Nah,can’t be…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Nope, see above.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:34 PM

If you’re in the US, free yourself, fer Christ’ sake.

I fell feel right at home here.

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I should have left it at “fell”, because you must have hurt your brain.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:36 PM

SubmarineDoc on March 31, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I’m guessing that by “interactions” you don’t mean “talking it out” during peer-to-peer support sessions following Sunday services.

I’m hoping there is something more to this sentence (like Richards is mentally deficient) and not the bald political cronyism that it seems.

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 2:36 PM

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Nope, see above.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Dudes, that has nothing to do with it.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 2:38 PM

SubmarineDoc on March 31, 2014 at 2:31 PM

+7%…!

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

When you finally open your eyes, ask the obamas, the Gateses, the Soroses, to give all their wealth to the poor. Ask the big mouths in Hollywood and Michael Moore too.

Until then I’ll laugh at you.

And, yes, it quite comfy to be comfortable off of one’s own labor. Those who think free are free. You will never be, with your indoctrinated frucking attitude. You’ll always be a slave to the D-rats who indoctrinate you. Wake up already. You could be free.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Don’t hold your breath. These are dark times.

gryphon202 on March 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM

He’s a DuPont. In Delaware.

Honestly, Biden needs to be harranged about this. He’s been a DuPont lackey since birth.

budfox on March 31, 2014 at 2:40 PM

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Socialism is not part of the solution, it is part of the problem. The Democratic Party, which is the more socialistic of the political parties, dominates the political scene in Delaware.

Socialism sounds equitable in theory. But once it becomes corrupted, the corrupt take hold of the levers of political power, and use it to keep themselves rich, and keep everyone else down.

The solution to the problem that you speak of is not socialism. It is equal justice before the law.

SubmarineDoc on March 31, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Dudes, that has nothing to do with it.

cozmo on March 31, 2014 at 2:38 PM

But it’s telling and h/she c/b a D-rat, in which case it has all to do with it. It also specializes in psychology and thinks that it has all the societal answers, after its pockets were filled by a Du Pont.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:41 PM

SubmarineDoc on March 31, 2014 at 2:40 PM

The creep keeps damning the rich, instead of damning the corrupted judge.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:41 PM

The same DuPont family, by the by, who conspired with William Randolph Hearst to pump their company’s stock by outlawing hemp — the only legitimate natural competitor of nylon.

gryphon202 on March 31, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Yeh, I know. Wonder if she is a mother? Nah, can’t be…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Saw her pic and Imma gonna guess, no.

Delaware couples ring in the new year with civil unions

The Judicial Update

January 7, 2012

Delaware: Several same-sex couples tied the knot on January 1, 2012 in Delaware. Along with Hawaii, Delaware is now one of 14 states and the District of Columbia that has legalized same-sex unions.

The first couple wed were Lisa B. Goodman and Drewry N. Fennell. Senator Chris Coons delivered the sermon and Lt. Gov. Matthew Denn and Superior Court Judge Jan R. Jurden each read from the Bible during the service.[1]

Fallon on March 31, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Sorry, stepped on your toes while we were dancing, Schad.

Fallon on March 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Speaking of crooks, obama.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Fallon, never to worry. Better twice, than not at all…exposing the creeps.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Libtards are irrational and illogical.

They think pedophiles can be “cured” through treatment but gays cannot.

They think abortion is a “right” but think that murderers shouldn’t get the death penalty.

smh

And, BTW, I don’t think gays need to be “cured”, I think they are who they are.

But so are pedophiles…

Just sayin’…

ladyingray on March 31, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Speaking of crooks, obama.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Well, that would certainly fan the flames.

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I’m not surprised, seeing as they joyfully give out oscars now to pedo scum.
Just another sign of where we are headed.

BoxHead1 on March 31, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Rick Grimes

sharrukin on March 31, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Who is Rick Grimes?

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Ack, ACK!!!!

Yer kidding, right?

Even Lanceman knows who Rick Grimes is!!!!

ladyingray on March 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM

SubmarineDoc on March 31, 2014 at 2:40 PM

The creep keeps damning the rich, instead of damning the corrupted judge.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Good point, Shadenfreude. The socialists attack the middle class and the non-politically connected rich on behalf of the corrupt rich. (Please reference the regulatory action against Gibson Guitars, while letting off competitors that just happened to be well connected politically.) Socialists like coolrepublica are just too stupid to figure out the scam. They are so blinded by the hatred of “the Rich” that they don’t realize that they are just being used as pawns by the corrupt rich.

SubmarineDoc on March 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM

sharrukin on March 31, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Thanks…

ladyingray on March 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I don’t follow popular culture, or watch much television…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM

No surprise that the judge was a she. Guessed that before reading. “Jan” can be a male or female name.

Sitting back and complaining without trying to do something won’t work.

MN J on March 31, 2014 at 3:10 PM

There has to be a special corner in hell for these monsters like Richards…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 3:19 PM

This judge was appointed by demonrat governor miner. And reappointed by the current governor jack Merkel also a demonrat.

All is clear now.

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 31, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I feel that jail time for child molesters is too lenient. They should be executed.

JQA on March 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I’m guessing you are running your writing through an English translator are working on your English Keep it up, I wish you the best.

As for your premise, I have no doubt that you came from a country that is predominantly socialist. Socialism is defined by class structure, with no movement upward or downward in mobility. If you are born a fisherman, you will die one. In capitalism, you can rise by the sweat of your brow and succeed. There are simply too many examples that they are not simply explained by outliers.

But there are many big companies that do make success difficult for the entrepreneur, but usually this is successful through the help of government. Through the establishment of laws to “protect” the consumer, they limit new companies with insufficient capital from achieving through grit and hard effort.

There is a saying to remember: though capitalism, the rich become powerful. Through government, the powerful become rich.

Finally, I am interested in why you are here, if America is no different from your previous nation. Why are you here?

itsspideyman on March 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

What has happened to my country?

sadatoni on March 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

The Democrats are a party that doesn’t just allow but lauds perversion. When government doesn’t enforce the laws I think society must.

crankyoldlady on March 31, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Why are you here?

itsspideyman on March 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

But like with every place in the world, the rich getting away with murder was the norm where I am from. I fell feel right at home here.

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

What ails America, on display.

Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Judge Jan Jurden should be imprisoned with the dirtbag Richards for aiding and abetting child rape and molestation.

earlgrey on March 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM

What has happened to my country?

sadatoni on March 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Nothing. It is the same as it has been for over a century. You just started paying attention.

earlgrey on March 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Any and all sex crimes involving children should be automatic life without parole. No discretion. No exceptions. No separate housing.

rmkdbq on March 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

if you believe his office.

Fezzik on March 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Well I don’t think I do. This seems like a pretty horrific crime with a very high profile defendant. So, no, I don’t believe the AG was unaware.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Agreed. There is no way Biden was unaware of this case…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Happy Nomad on March 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM

You know that and I know that but to the eyes of the law, that is legal. This is illegal and isn’t punished. And I noticed from the article that this negoiation crap has been going on for years. He’s a lucky man that I am not the mother of these children.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 4:22 PM

What’s will be the judge’s excuse after his next victim? The recidivism rate for people with his profile is extraordinarily high. Will she tell the next family or child victim…sorry?

She should be disbarred and he should be swinging from a rope.

Marcus Traianus on March 31, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I’m a big believer in the the slippery slope, something my children strong disagree with. Pedophilia is the next “taboo” to fall. I hope I am dead.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Bullshit. Money. Power. Connections. Even twenty years ago this man would be considered a monster and we wouldn’t care how he faired in prison.

hawkdriver on March 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM

O’Neill, the public defender, said that while Jurden’s rationale surprised him, “I commend her for making such a courageous ruling. When I find the appropriate place, I’m going to make that argument.”

I’ll just bet he will.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Do a net worth audit on the judge before and after 2009.

MaiDee on March 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM

So we have charges of abuse during a divorce. That situation never breeds false accusations, so proceed with the castrations.

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

HE ADMITTED IT. HE PLEAD GUILTY.

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 5:05 PM

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Sure, false accusations but false confessions? Seems unlikely.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 5:10 PM

The revelations came, the lawsuit claims, while Richards was taking a lie detector test, ordered in an attempt to get him to be more forthcoming about his sexual history. Richards told the examiner he “was very concerned that something happened with his son, but that he has repressed the memories.’” He told the examiner he worried that his acts were “similar to what happened with his daughter,” the lawsuit said. “But he promised that whatever I did to my son, I will never do it again.”

He volunteered to take a lie detector test but promptly failed it, at which point he changed tack, admitted abusing his child, “then claimed that he was ill and that he needed medical treatment,” the lawsuit said.

sharrukin on March 31, 2014 at 5:11 PM

HE ADMITTED IT. HE PLEAD GUILTY.

portlandon on March 31, 2014 at 5:05 PM

He took the plea bargain. We all know how the legal system piles on redundant charges to force the acceptance of plea bargains. My objection is to calls for castration when we don’t know all the details. If he raped his own 3 year old child, then castration is fine, but if he got falsely accused during a contested divorce, then castration is a bit much.

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 5:14 PM

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Since castration isn’t a option I think you can safely assume it was used to indicate the commenter’s revulsion. Did he know at the time of the plea deal that no jail time was involved? There seems to be differing opinions on that.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 5:17 PM

an option.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 5:18 PM

sharrukin on March 31, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Well, that is absurdly, incriminating. Off with his….head…..

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 5:18 PM

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

he plead guilty.
here’s your sign..

dmacleo on March 31, 2014 at 5:19 PM

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Interesting response to the article. I can only assume your response is based on a personal experience of some kind. Would you care to elaborate as I can’t tie your line of thinking to the facts of this case. My response to this sad story was not in the same ball park as your train of thought.

Don’t ever remember seeing any of your posts, thus I am asking out of curiosity.

HonestLib on March 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM

HonestLib on March 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM

You almost got me, but some things you just don’t spill on the internet, but just so you know the nice approach nearly worked.

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Raping a three year old? He needs to be sent to prison; a month should do it, that’s if he lasted a month.

mixplix on March 31, 2014 at 5:32 PM

What has happened to my country?

sadatoni on March 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Well, see, it’s like this…

Because that, when they knew God, they have not glorified him as God, or given thanks; but became vain in their thoughts, and their foolish heart was darkened. For professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. And they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of the image of a corruptible man, and of birds, and of fourfooted beasts, and of creeping things. Wherefore God gave them up to the desires of their heart, unto uncleanness, to dishonour their own bodies among themselves. Who changed the truth of God into a lie; (atheistic Darwinism) and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

For this cause God delivered them up to shameful affections. For their women have changed the natural use into that use which is against nature. (not only lesbianism, but contracepting and aborting their unborn out of existence, supporting the abuse of offspring born and unborn like this evil ‘judge’.) And, in like manner, the men also, leaving the natural use of the women, have burned in their lusts one towards another, men with men working that which is filthy, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was due to their error.

And as they liked not to have God in their knowledge, (removing Him from our schools, public square) God delivered them up to a reprobate sense, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all iniquity, malice, fornication, avarice, wickedness, full of envy, murder, contention, deceit, malignity, whisperers, Detractors, hateful to God, contumelious, proud, haughty, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, (pretty spot on description of our culture, no?) Foolish, dissolute, without affection, without fidelity, without mercy.

Who, having known the justice of God, did not understand that they who do such things, are worthy of death; and not only they that do them, but they also that consent to them that do them.

(We have rejected God, and the culture is dying. I don’t think it is a coincidence, myself.)

pannw on March 31, 2014 at 5:38 PM

DFCtomm on March 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM

In 165 comments, one call for castration, on mention of variable uses of hedge clippers and one mention on the octave this gentleman might sing in. Most of the comments deal with the treatment of the rich and the possible corruption of the judicial system. I believe you are misrepresenting the outrage here.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2014 at 5:40 PM

…with clearly no consideration of whether the 3 year old and alleged infant could handle the physical and long lasting emotional impact of said 6’4″ healthy defendant raping them. Makes total sense.

I hate people.

Bee on March 31, 2014 at 5:42 PM

pannw on March 31, 2014 at 5:38 PM

The human condition, has happened in every culture since creation. Nothing new under the sun.

Bee on March 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Cindy Munford

The population of the State of Delaware is considerably less than 1 million. My county is much larger but should a case of this sort occur I can assure you that both the DA and the State’s AG would be aware of it.

Mason on March 31, 2014 at 6:45 PM

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I read this tripe, said “This guy’s an idiot”, and moved on to the next post…….

Fathom on March 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM

DFC sorry- you’re nuts on this one.

CW on March 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Yes I hope someone has a “meeting” with this guy….soon.

CW on March 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Just for fun, is the judge liberal or conservative?

WisCon on March 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I read this tripe, said “This guy’s an idiot”, and moved on to the next post…….

Fathom on March 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Oh my word…what did I type? Once again!!!

HonestLib on March 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Just for fun, is the judge liberal or conservative?

WisCon on March 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Liberal.

Judge Jan Jurden’s sentencing order for Robert H. Richards IV…

Fennell and Goodman, both lawyers, came to this day as the pathfinders for gay rights here.

sharrukin on March 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Effective treatment

S. D. on March 31, 2014 at 8:12 PM

coolrepublica on March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Oh jess joo did. Glad joo can help us hear on de Hot Air.

arnold ziffel on March 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM

LukeinNE on March 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Like there are only 2 options???
What about creating a special prison unit solely for pederasts, so they can cry in each other’s bread and water?

AesopFan on March 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM

LukeinNE on March 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I always like hearing that child molesters are put into the mainstream population…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 9:38 PM

You know who needs this sentence? Oscar Pistorius. I understand S African prisons are places where people like Oscar don’t “Fare well”, to say the least.

Cookie?

famous amos on March 31, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I always like hearing that child molesters are put into the mainstream GENERAL population…

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 9:38 PM

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Does AP realize he spelled plead wrong in the thread title?

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM

JQA on March 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I agree. Murder is not the only crime that calls for capital punishment. Molesting a child is heinous, and the guilty should be executed.

INC on March 31, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Does AP realize he spelled plead wrong in the thread title?

OmahaConservative on March 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Naw, he got it right.

Pled definition, a simple past tense and past participle of plead.

sharrukin on March 31, 2014 at 10:31 PM

This whole thing must be a Common Core question.

What does Rape II(B Felony) X 2 equal?

A: Rape 4 (C Felony)

B Felony Sentence 2 to 25 years Example of the B Felony is Child Rape
C Felony Sentence up to 16 years Example of a C Felony is Child Prostitution.

schmuck281 on March 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM

I am so confused. I thought we had a “War On Women” problem in this country and that rape is the most horrible crime that a man can perpetrate against the oppressed sex.

Apparently if you are just slightly past the age of abortion, you aren’t really protected under the law like a 20 or 30 year-old would be if raped?

A 3 year-old girl has been raped by a very large man and the Judge’s main worry is getting treatment for the rapist?

What the hell am I missing here?

Meremortal on April 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM

because he wouldn’t “fare well” in prison

I’m not sure I understand why I should be moved to care whether or not a child rapist can “fare well” in prison?

TigerPaw on April 1, 2014 at 1:52 AM

If it were my children involved, and this kind of verdict came down, I know what I’d do. And it doesn’t involve political correctness, lenience, or even compassion for the perpetrator, but it might involve some vigorous action and some weapons.

RebeccaH on April 1, 2014 at 2:11 AM

SERIOUSLY? ‘Wouldn’t do well….’?

So-called ‘civilized human beings’, apparently like this judge, declare themselves to be above such barbaric and heinous crimes and think doling out appropriate JUSTICE would demean them in some way. Why is it that the ‘worst among us’ – the most harened criminals in jail – are quite often the ones who will not stand for anyone hurting a child and are the ones who have to hand down JUSTICE?

Yes, I have no doubt he would not ‘fare well’ in jail….because if he was put in ‘general population’ he would possibly be ‘mistreated’ the way he abused his daughter but would most probably not survive for 24 hours.

I believe the JUDGE should take his place in jail for a time….right after he has to look in thi sman’s daughter’s face and explain how the crime her pig of a father perpetrated against her did not merit any REAL punishment!

easyt65 on April 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM

What the hell am I missing here?

Meremortal on April 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM

The pay off of the judge.

Bmore on April 1, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Sickening that he didn’t get justice repaid, in kind, getting what he did to the child.
Schadenfreude on March 31, 2014 at 1:28 PM

But but but why can’t he just love whomever he wants to love?? “Child” is just a word from someone legislating their morality.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I am sure this is all Christine O’Donnell’s fault.

Another Drew on April 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM

This almost makes me wish we were still in the OT where people would be instantly struck dead from abusing holy things.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM

There was another duPont heir who murdered someone in 1996. He was convicted of 3rd degree murder on an insanity plea, and got 30 years in prison/and or hospital. He also had to reimburse the court $742,107 for trial costs.

He died in prison in 2010. The guy was seriously whacked, but roamed free and rich until he finally killed someone. Described as one of the richest defendants in history

A billionaire donor is a valuable member of society, to politicians

The sentence is a disgrace. The judge who committed this injustice is a pharisee, and will one day have to answer to higher power

entagor on April 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think you should rape your daughter. Or anyone else’s daughter for that matter. Heck, I’m even against raping people’s sons!

I guess I’m just a rapeophobic :(