Video: Gunman invades Dollar General, meets concealed carry permit holder

posted at 11:01 am on March 30, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Another story crosses our desk, courtesy of Rationality Rebooted. I’ve gone through a few reports of this story and it’s still not clear why Kevin Mclaughlin went into the Dollar General in Orrville, Alabama last week, but it certainly wasn’t to find a good deal on tube socks. He began shouting and waving a gun around, herding customers and an employee into a back room. Things were looking bad, but that’s when he ran into Marlo Ellis.

One person is dead after a customer at the Dollar General in Orrville began shouting and waving his gun in the air.

Dallas County Sheriff Harris Huffman said the incident appeared to be a case of self-defense and no one has been arrested in connection with the shooting Thursday afternoon.

The incident occurred when Dallas County resident Kevin Mclaughlin entered Dollar General reportedly waving a pistol in the air, Huffman said. Mclaughlin then ushered a group of people inside the store into a break room.

“It appears that once the cashier got inside the break room, a customer that was walking into the break room shot the individual, the white male, with the pistol,” Huffman said. “There was only one shot fired and that shot struck the individual with the pistol causing the disturbance.”

District Attorney Michael Jackson confirmed the customer who reportedly shot Mclaughlin was Orrville resident Marlo Ellis.

Huffman said Ellis used his own weapon in the incident.

In a refreshing change of pace, Ellis is even being identified by local media using the H word.

Law enforcement officials are calling Marlo Ellis a hero in the wake of Thursday’s shooting at the Dollar General in Orrville.

Dallas County Sheriff’s Department chief deputy Randy Pugh said McLaughlin’s motive is still unclear, but the death appeared to be a case of self-defense.

“We don’t know what would have happened, but we know what could have happened,” Pugh said. “We see every indication that the shooting was a case of self defense.”

One shot fired, one suspect down and no other injuries. The suspect was dead at the scene. Not to be too glib, but that’s what I call gun control.

District Attorney Michael Jackson described why Ellis was within his rights.

In Alabama you have the right of self defense of yourself or of a third party. So when the perpetrator went in there with a gun, waving the gun, anybody in there had the right to use deadly force. So that’s what happened and he actually was a Good Samaritan in this situation.

Not a lot more to say on this one, so we’ll close with the video from the local media.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So, sad another gun death…. better 10 robberies than one killing, to paraphrase one of my moral betters….

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM

But, but, but, he could have killed an innocent bystander!

I love these feel good stories that result in a scumbag leaing this planet…well done, Sir!

trs on March 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Justice rules.

fogw on March 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM

MSM won’t be interested in this story. Doesn’t fit the narrative, so it didn’t happen.

AZCoyote on March 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM

AZCoyote on March 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM

They might investigate the poor helpless victim to determine what occurred in his childhood to drive him to such madness.

fogw on March 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

What kind of knucklehead robs a “Dollar Store”?

JetBoy on March 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

We do not even have to drag the dead body into the house anymore. We can just leave them in the yard.
Of course there is not really much of that going on around where I live in NE Ala.

1sttofight on March 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I always remember a Boortz quip in these cases. DRT = dead right there.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

By the end of the video, the news head said that Ellis is waiting trial for a separate charge. Good he was there with a gun. I’d hold off on the hero accolades for a bit though.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Gun owners are equivalent to pedophiles as nonpartisan instructed us last night

Chuck Schick on March 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Jetboy, the perpetrator was on his way to the str1p club and knew he’d find a lot of singles at the Dollar Store…. this isn’t hard.

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Better one dead scumbag than multiple dead innocent shoppers living their daily lives and abiding by the law. Bad guy with gun stopped by good guy with gun. The Second Amendment works.

Philly on March 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

A sign at the store’s entrance says the Dollar General does not allow the open carry of firearms,

hahahahahahaha

faraway on March 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Interesting that the sheriff felt the need to identify the perp as “the white male”…I highly doubt if he’d have referred to him as “the black male” had that been the case. Just sayin’…

thebaldchick on March 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Fogs, I think we might want to look at both the persons, the “alleged criminal’ i.e., Real Victim & the “Hero”, i.e., the REAL Villain…

I imagine that the Real Victim merely went to the Dollar store for some Skittles & was merely asking, loudly, where they were… his actions were mis-interpreted by

The Real Villain who is a racist, who followed the Real Victim into the store with the intent of shooting the Real Victim & proceeded to do so under the cover of a White Just-Us System that Oppresses People of Colour, I’d imagine this “News Outlet” is funded by the Koch Brothers!

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Based on the description, this was going to be one robbery with multiple killings. No need to corral people into the back for a simple crash and grab. That action usually ends in a bunch of dead bodies found the next day by the cleaning crew.

LoganSix on March 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM

MSNBC awaiting pictures of the victim to determine if there was racism involved.

faraway on March 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM

LoganSix, we were once informed by one of our “moral betters” better 10 rapes than 1 death…. mine was satire on that morally obtuse statement.

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Especially since he’s charged with the alleged rape of an under-aged girl.

Flora Duh on March 30, 2014 at 11:24 AM

the white male, with the pistol,

I’m sure that would have been pointed out if he wasn’t a white male, right?

Ruckus_Tom on March 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Ummm…am I missing something? This story happened on January 16th. Today is March 30th.

Galtian on March 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM

What kind of knucklehead robs a “Dollar Store”?

JetBoy on March 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

It was a Dollar General. They carry a wide arrangement of over-the-counter drugs – like cough medicine they keep under lock and key.

Flora Duh on March 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

However I’d still give Ellis accolades for saving untold lives. It doesn’t excuse his own crimes and they should not be dismissed (nor should he not be punish for them), but we shouldn’t dismiss his actions when it mattered to the other people in the Dollar Store.

BigGator5 on March 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

thebaldchick on March 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Threatening white male waving gun, shot in self defense: justified; understandably no outrage.

Threatening black male waving gun, shot in self defense: cause for nationwide clamor for gun control and elimination of principle of self-defense.

BuckeyeSam on March 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Well here’s a moral conundrum for you “let’s hold off” people… IF Ted Bundy pulled you from a burning building, did he do good, or not?

This easier for me, because I didn’t get all “outraged” when Andy Rooney said, not every service person is a hero… he was right. Some are downright horrid people. BUT, that doesn’t change the fact that downright horrid people can still do good….

I don’t think George Zimmerman was an exemplary person, but that doesn’t mean he was incapable of doing good, in certain circumstances.

Life & people aren’t binary… good/evil…hero/goat….I could applaud the gunman for stopping a robbery & probably a mass shooting, whilst also deploring his attempted rape (assuming it happened).

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

that doesn’t change the fact that downright horrid people can still do good….

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Please leave the Kennedys out of this.

faraway on March 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Especially since he’s charged with the alleged rape of an under-aged girl.

Flora Duh on March 30, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I’ll wait until the jury is in on this one. My cousin’s 17 yr old daughter pursued, sexted and aggressively went after an 18 yr old boy, and after he tired of the easy sex she cried rape and he was arrested. Thankfully, the charges were eventually dropped in that case…

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

BigGator5 on March 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

True. Yet it would be interesting to watch and see whether this guy loses his conceal-carry permit.

Lolo on March 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM

BuckeyeSam on March 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM

You forgot the most common variable. Threatening black male waving gun, shot by another black male: Just another Tuesday in New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago or any other inner city.

Happy Nomad on March 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Agree. Would like to add that, for example, I usually won’t call someone a liar unless they lie habitually. But for most people, the opportunity to behave stereotypically heroically doesn’t come up very often, so if it happens once, then people take that as evidence you’re a hero.

Fenris on March 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I swear I heard about this some time ago, unless the same thing happened again?

rightside on March 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Especially since he’s charged with the alleged rape of an under-aged girl.

Flora Duh on March 30, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Someone allegedly had sex with and under-aged girl?….in Alabama?….I’M SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TEELL YOU!

Pole-Cat on March 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Ferris, point taken…

Faraway, you made me laugh! But, I have yet to see any evidence that the Kennedy’s have done ANY good, except for Old Joe, who ran rum…. importing booze IS a moral act, IMO.

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Yes, more gene pool cleansing please!

SouthernGent on March 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM

They might investigate the poor helpless victim guy who acted in self defense to determine what occurred in his childhood to drive him to such madness.

fogw on March 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

A more likely outcome.

Grammar Nazi on March 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Orrville resident Deforest James said he was in the Dollar General moments before the shooting occurred. James exited the building shortly after Mclaughlin waved the pistol and told customers not to move.

“He said he was looking for three bad mother—-ers and then I ran out and I busted out through the back door,” James said. Source

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM

That’s why I used the word alleged. :-)

Flora Duh on March 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Local story.

– The MSM

Cicero43 on March 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM

thebaldchick on March 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

If the perp had been a black male we’d be hearing cries for investigation. Unless of course if the “hero” shooter was also black – then it’s “just a local issue.”

katiejane on March 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Pole-Cat on March 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Bigot.

Happy Nomad on March 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I’m surprised that, as of now, nobody has chimed in with the idea that Ellis should have shot to wound or something.

Happy Nomad on March 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

BigGator5 on March 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Do not disagree at all. I’m glad only the gun menacing the public is dead. I’m just saying that people have many sides.

I heard a news story a while ago. I never Snoped it because I really don’t trust them anymore anyway. But it was a story or Urban Legend of a KFC or other some such chicken place that accidentally gave away a shifts profits in a food container that as waiting to get put in a proper deposit bag and taken to the bank. The window clerk remembered giving it to a nice looking couple. Well, as the story goes, after the manager reports it to the police and frets for a while, Dude shows back up with the receipts in the bucket and says he got their money by mistake. The manager starts making a big deal and he says he’d love to get the news in on the story with a picture of him and his wife for bringing the money back. The guy begs off and says no. Manager insists. Dude says, no I can’t. It’s not my wife in the car.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

You can address comments right to me when you need to. If it’s me you’re referring to.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Yes, I saw the part about Ellis awaiting trial on other charges, but he hasn’t had his day court yet. And it doesn’t appear to change the facts on the ground for this events at the Dollar Store.

Jazz Shaw on March 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM

In Alabama you have the right of self defense of yourself or of a third party.

Dear Mr. Jackson: at the risk of being pedantic it’s not up to the state what rights I have.

You more accurately could have said that Alabama upholds those rights – the same rights that exist but are suppressed in Yankeeland and elsewhere.

jangle12 on March 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Orrville man charged with rape of juvenile
OK, this doesn’t look so good…

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Pole-Cat on March 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Not knowing the details of the case I can’t comment on if it was “sex” or rape. You do know there’s a difference, don’t you? And what difference does it make if it was in Alabama, or New York City?

Don’t bother responding, both rhetorical questions.

Flora Duh on March 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Jazz Shaw on March 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Of course it doesn’t change anything. And if he saved some lives, that’s a great thing. I’m just saying I’d hold off on calling him a hero like the one link was alluding to.

Are any of us really saying anything different?

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Flora Duh on March 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM

True but who can let a shot at the South go unused? /sorta.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Hawkdriver, I would but my current tablet or the current operator ability of the tablet makes “fisking” unworkable….

Not crabby are you? Sorry if you are, but I just don’t see the need to say ya, but….I wasn’t going to canonize the guy.

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM

A Dollar General? Why would someone rob a Dollar General?

What an odd choice for robbery target. Why not a Macy’s, Dillard’s, or even a JC Penny’s?

TigerPaw on March 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

A Dollar General? Why would someone rob a Dollar General?

TigerPaw on March 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Pretty slim pickins there…

Home

+ Add your business
Search U.S. Companies Search only Shopping & Stores in Orrville, AL Search the World (except U.S.)
Orrville, AL Shopping & Stores

Manta has 8 results under Shopping & Stores in Orrville, AL

Featured Categories
· Convenience Stores in Orrville AL · Gift, Novelty, and Souvenir Shop in Orrville AL · Grocery Stores in Orrville AL · Hunting Supplies in Orrville AL · Seafood Stores in Orrville AL
· Variety Stores in Orrville AL

6302 Cahaba Road, Orrville AL

Miscellaneous Retail Stores, NEC
Vaughan’s Convenience Store
1588 County Road 115, Orrville AL

Grocery Stores

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Why would someone rob a Dollar General?

or even a JC Penny’s?

TigerPaw on March 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Silly rabbit, why take pennys when you can have dollars?

faraway on March 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM

A Dollar General? Why would someone rob a Dollar General?

TigerPaw on March 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Cuz, that’s where the dollars are. You’d get credit card receipts at Macy’s, Dillard’s and JCP.

HumpBot Salvation on March 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM

What kind of knucklehead robs a “Dollar Store”?

JetBoy on March 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I see what you did there.

docflash on March 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Not crabby at all. And I really try, even when conversations get awkward for no reason, to not get personal.

I made the comment, I assumed you meant me. Again, I’m agreeing it was a good thing he did. But understanding this guy is getting ready to go to trial for something completely unrelated, is it a big deal waiting to call him a “hero”? He’ll get a day in court and I hope it ends up not being true.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM

NOTE TO HOT AIR

Why is the site redirecting people to another page after a few seconds?

faraway on March 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM

There’s a sign on the door of the store that indicates no guns allowed.

SouthernGent on March 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Gun owners are equivalent to pedophiles as nonpartisan instructed us last night

Chuck Schick on March 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I had to go back and look at that.

Actually nonp made being the argument that being anti-gun was as rational as being anti-pedophilia.

An apples and hammers argument, of course. The equivalence nonpartisan is searching for is being anti-gun is as rational as being anti-pen!s.

Both items are potentially destructive tools, in this case. But as a recipient of a JD from Harvard, he already knew that.

Pless1foEngrish on March 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Agreed, *THIS* is gun control. He hit his target, and saved some lives.

Sekhmet on March 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Orrville man charged with rape of juvenile
OK, this doesn’t look so good…

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Hmmm. Curiouser.

The alleged rape charges were filed on February 19. The Dollar Store shooting occurred on January 16.

Lolo on March 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

…in a Detroit suburb a family with two little girls just lost their father…a party store owner… he was gunned down by three punks wearing masks…after they took the money!

KOOLAID2 on March 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM

lets not rush to give this guy a medal here

did he try to subdue the gunman at all before killing him? because that might shift it from self-defense to murder

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

The Selma Times article was published Wednesday, February 20, 2013, when was the shooting?

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM

One shot fired, one suspect down and no other injuries

Marksmanship.

It’s what’s for breakfast…

JohnGalt23 on March 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM

What race were the perps and victim?

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

What a bizarre question. He subdued him by shooting him. It’s self defense, pure and simple. Only a monster would suggest that a crime victim shouldn’t use the most effective means of self defense available to him.

juliesa on March 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM

lets not rush to give this guy a medal here

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

nonpartisan, did you read or watch first this time? Watch the video and wait for the Dallas County DAs comments. Then you’ll be in a better position … to comment.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM

You’re not THE nonpartisan are you? Because you’re a fake nonpartisan, right? No one can be that stupid, can they?

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

What race were the perps and victim?

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM

It is indeed sad how that has actually become a relevant question.

Lolo on March 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

lets not rush to give this guy a medal here

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I wish you would have been there instead of the armed citizen so you could have reasoned with the gun wielding maniac.

VegasRick on March 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

If it kills only one life!

hillsoftx on March 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Between the guy busting into the Dollar Store with a gun, the dude shooting the dude, and the rape, the whole thing sounds like a big clusterf*ck to me. But at least we live in a country where people can work out their differences with guns. I’m not joking. This is what makes America great. Europeans like Piers will never understand this. You’ve got to be from here to “get it.” Go away Piers.

WhatSlushfund on March 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM

The police report said Jan 16th of this year.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM

lets not rush to give this guy a medal here

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

“Alex, I will take ‘What HA Commenter Rode The Short Bus’ for $200″…

hillsoftx on March 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM

All right, folks… NEWS FLASH… NEWS FLASH… FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Nonpartisan is either Ed Morrissey or Allahpundit!

MESSAGE ENDS… MESSAGE ENDS…

Nonpartisan MUST be a sock puppet of one of those two, they must roll with laughter @ our responding to such an obvious troll!

I mean really, NO ONE could honestly ask non-o’s question? NO ONE can be that naïve or stupid… so Nonpartisan MUST be someone’s sock-puppet.

JFKY on March 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM

http://www.selmatimesjournal.comOfficial site

Serving Selma and the Black Belt with daily news, sports, classifieds, obituaries and entertainment.

What is ‘the Black Belt’ they speak of?

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM

“Alex, I will take ‘What HA Commenter Rode The Short Bus’ for $200″…

hillsoftx on March 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM

no, it’s a legit legal question

I can’t just go around shooting anyone waiving a gun in the air and claim self-defense

I would have to prove that I truly thought my life was in actual danger

maybe the shooter did act in self-defense, but jazz’s article certainly didn’t make it seem like he was in any actual danger

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

In other news, The Atlantic is hyperventilating about the failure of the gun grabbers to properly exploit the Newtown shooting to incrementally destroy the Commonsense Civil Right of Armed Self-Defense:

The NRA Wins Again
The Newtown shooting led gun-control advocates to try the same failed strategies again. And once again, they didn’t work.
In the aftermath of a gun tragedy, there isn’t anything wrong with proponents of gun control trying to persuade Americans to change their position in light of what happened. But after Newtown, many gun-control advocates tried to shame rather than persuade, as if the “correct” position was obvious to everyone save retrograde idiots.
On guns, that strategy has never worked.

Who would have thought that labeling people who advocate the cause of liberty as ‘retrograde idiots’ would offend them?

DinaRehn on March 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Do you have the Commonsense Civil Right of Armed Self-Defense?

DinaRehn on March 30, 2014 at 12:39 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

So you’re saying if someone is “waving a gun in the air” in your general vicinity, then you would have no thought at all the your “life was in actual danger”?

I’m going to say that you’re either lying, either to us or yourself.

Fenris on March 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Yes sir-re-bob, when I’m ready to risk my life for the ‘big haul’ that’s where I’ll head to – Dollar General.

lel2007 on March 30, 2014 at 12:44 PM

HumpBot Salvation on March 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I figured there might be a cash factor involved but still found choice of store a little strange.

I guess I’m too fancy for my own good and would prefer robbing a slightly more upscale joint. :)

TigerPaw on March 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I’m going to say that you’re either lying, either to us or yourself.

Fenris on March 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I would feel threatened, but that alone would not justify me killing the man on the spot is all I’m saying

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM

no, it’s a legit legal question

Not really.

It’s actually very hard to wave a gun in the air and shoot accurately. So, I’m going to assume you’re making this part up since Mr. Ellis managed to hit and kill the man.

I would have to prove that I truly thought my life was in actual danger

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

No, no. A wild man with crazy eyes wielding guns and ranting like they’re off their meds certainly doesn’t connote any discernible threat to anyone’s well-being. You’ve made your case well.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I’ve heard the good guys can actually shoot the gun out of the bad guy’s hand. I wonder why he didn’t do that.

butch on March 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Michael Jackson said it did…

District Attorney Michael Jackson described why Ellis was within his rights.

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I think herding everyone into a back room at gun point is called a clue.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

VegasRick on March 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Yes, following these guidelines

Bloomberg attack safety tips

DinaRehn on March 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM

@ OmahaConservative

Featured Categories
· Variety Stores in Orrville AL

Now see there, he could have gone with a souvenir shop and not only walked out with some cash but some “Wish you were here!” Alabama post cards.

You also had a balloon store on the list. He could have had some balloons – that would have made for a festive robbery and get away.

If he could have gone to a gas station, he could have gotten some cash and some microwavable burritos and Slushies or Icees.

TigerPaw on March 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM

TigerPaw on March 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM

That Hunting Supplies store sounds intriguing. Inventory!

butch on March 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM

butch on March 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Even the gunman had to be smart enough not to rob the gun store…

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Hate to admit it, but I laughed.

BigGator5 on March 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM

“So, sad another gun death…. JFKY-jelly for brains” =
So sad another man willing to kill and steal from others, gamble everything and lost. Better one dead to serve as an example to 10 other considering a similar gambit.

lel2007 on March 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM

What a cool good-bye for Piers Morgan.

Schadenfreude on March 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM

no, it’s a legit legal question

I would have to prove that I truly thought my life was in actual danger

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Even for you this is beyond stupid and that takes some doing. If someone, anyone points a gun at you and “orders” you to do anything then your life is in danger and it’s imminent, like right friggin’now imminent. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cop, a robber or a garden variety nut job. The fact that he has a gun pointed at you should be pretty good indication, at least for most reasonably intelligent sane people, that he is willing to back up his commands desires whatever with deadly force. Most of the time if it’s a cop then there is some valid reason that he’s pointing the gun at you and it would behoove you to comply. If you do then most likely the cop won’t shoot you. Anybody else and the peaceful end to the scenario vaporizes and you can safely consider your life in danger.

Oldnuke on March 30, 2014 at 12:57 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I think herding everyone into a back room at gun point is called a clue.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM

You never know – he might have been herding them in there for a sing along of Kumbaya and the acoustics were better in there..

DinaRehn on March 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Hate to admit it, but I laughed.

BigGator5 on March 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Yeah, no idea if it’s true. Heard it from a lot of folks and even in a church service once.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM

no, it’s a legit legal question

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

As a matter of fact, you can. The legal standard is what a reasonable person considers life threatening. And any reasonable person would assume that someone waving a gun around in the air threatening others is a life threatening situation. But you knew that already, being a Harvard Law grad and all.

NotCoach on March 30, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Heard it from a lot of folks and even in a church service once.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM

In what context? How would that anecdote be appropriate in a church service?

OmahaConservative on March 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM

nonpartisan on March 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Oh yes. I would certainly expect a Harvard grad to have a better grasp of the English language.

waive
[ wayv ]

surrender claim: to give something up voluntarily, especially a right or claim

not enforce something: to refrain from enforcing or applying something
temporarily delay something: to put off something for a time

Oldnuke on March 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM