Video: Yes, Ted Cruz just put out what looks like a presidential campaign ad

posted at 3:57 pm on March 28, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Examiner, you can thank Ben Howe for producing this. Is it a presidential campaign teaser? The last line, borrowing Obama’s campaign slogan from 2008, seems freighted with extra significance. I’d never seen something like this from Cruz before either. At first blush, I thought maybe it was his way of stealing a little thunder from Rand Paul’s overt presidential maneuvering lately. Here’s Cruz reminding conservatives that Rand won’t be the only game in town next year.

But after looking through his campaign YouTube account, I realize I’m wrong. Cruz has released at least two ads similar to this one since being elected to the Senate, one last October right after the shutdown ended and another a week before Christmas. Maybe this is just something that politicians with big followings, who may or may not run for national office soon, do now in the age of viral media. Every once in a while they’ll put an ad online for no specific reason beyond polishing their brand and giving their supporters something to share on Facebook and Twitter. Coke and Pepsi don’t advertise only when they’re planning to release a new product; advertising is a constant for major companies, and now that ads can be produced and disseminated cheaply, it’s probably a constant for savvy pols too. Or rather, will be a constant: I checked Elizabeth Warren’s campaign YouTube account, figuring that she’s the closest thing on the left to a Cruz analogue as a grassroots hero who recently joined the Senate, and found that it hasn’t been updated since she was elected. Maybe that’ll change — or maybe the fact that Cruz is doing this and she isn’t really is a sign of which of them is more serious about running for president. Hmmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Beautiful ad.

We need more like Ted Cruz!

bluegill on March 28, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Liz will do her next ad wearing an Indian headdress..

PatriotRider on March 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Cruz Vs. Warren 2016

Must happen!

bluegill on March 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Yes, WE can!

freedomfirst on March 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Nice ad, and I hope he runs!

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM

That was great!

ladyingray on March 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Duh, cameras will steal your soul.

steebo77 on March 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Me, I’m a curmudgeon…. My preference Governor (Perry, Palin, Walker, Daniels)> Ted Cruz (Lawyer, Senator)> Rand Paul (Senator).

It was a good advertisement, though….I could vote for Cruz…. long before voting for Christie or Rubio or any Ann Coulter “Electable Republican”.

What is going to help me decide is how Peggy Noonan, Kathleen Parker, the Two David’s & Rove move… anyone they are FOR I am automatically against that candidate.

JFKY on March 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Cage match!

butch on March 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

very well done. kudos to Cruz and his team

CoffeeLover on March 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Cruz Vs. Warren 2016

Must happen!

bluegill on March 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Heh. Well, that would certainly complete the polarization. I wonder which side leaves the republic after the election.:)

butch on March 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I’m on board!

SMACKRUNNER on March 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I think after the 2012 disappointment, I’m skeptical of the GOP’s chances in 2016. I think the leeches and government workers have reached a tipping point. But I pray I’m wrong.

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM

If anyone is curious – the music is by “Two Steps from Hell” track titled, “Protectors of the Earth” which is rather fitting but for a campaign add I highly recommend a more stirring TSFH track, such as “invincible” or “Heart of Courage” or my personal workout tune…Makes me want to strip naked, grab a sword, climb up to my roof and yell at the sky…

TO GLORY!!!!!!!!!!

(PS don’t let the name throw you off, these guys do a lot of epic anthems for shows like Top Gear and other TV and movie production.)

Defenestratus on March 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Anyone surprised that Ted Cruz is running for President is probably still using the word Bridgegate rather than the more apt name – Smeargate.

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM

THIS is what Presidential Timber looks like folks.

ToddPA on March 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM

If I was a Dem, he just got my 10 votes! Caveat: I’m a 5th gen Texan..

vnvet on March 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Me too..
Walker/Perry 2016… and hope Hillary gets hit by a bus.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Dave, saying “Jesus’” name isn’t reciting the Bible, nor is it preaching… again be honest you can’t stand religious people, you had a bad experience in Sunday School, and so now there existence in the public eye annoys you…

You and Good Lt. Are just “feeling outraged” or “uncomfortable’… that’s not a Constitutionally Protected Right…

You ARE making a test, no one who professes their faith can hold office… it’s a test… now, only Agnostics or Atheists can hold office… no different than saying only Christians or Muslims or Baptists or Sufi may hold office.

You bring YOUR ideology to the public sphere, the believer has the same right… just because yours is, avowedly, a secular one gives it no ore inherent right to be enacted than the Commissioner’s.

JFKY on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I;m a knucklehead, sorry…

JFKY on March 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM

JFKY on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

maybe posted this in wrong thread ??

dmacleo on March 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM

THIS is what Presidential Timber looks like folks.

ToddPA on March 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Heh, you can tell his age by counting the rings around his trunk.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I welcome a Ted Cruz campaign.

This 2016 campaign will be glorious!

portlandon on March 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM

He is having lots of fun, it seems, re-purposing Obama statements and flinging them back. OFA hi-jacked the Gadsen Flag for an O-care promotion and less than a week later TC has hi-jacked it back & is using it to raise money.

My senator is becoming America’s Senator. I was on a conference call with him late last year and there were over 120K people on that particular call. People like that he is willing to fight.

jffree1 on March 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM

People like that he is willing to fight.

jffree1 on March 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Amen.

Kaffa on March 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Welcome Ted – can’t wait to see you debate the other candidates.

I suspect they CAN WAIT to debate you.

2016 will be special – we have a deep bench.

Scott Walker – my pick if he runs – today anyway.

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Aww, bless your heart. A walking-talking FatMan fan.

Bitter Clinger on March 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Right now there are only two people hinted at running that I would vote for. Ted Cruz and Bobby Jindal.

Rick Perry is an Open Borders pro amnesty reject.
Rand Paul is an open borders pro amnesty reject.
Scott Walker is an open borders pro amnesty reject.

You cannot stand for Conservatism and support amnesty. Amnesty would create 10 to 20 million net new democratic votes to replace conservative votes. You cannot win national elections if your president signs it into law.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM

It’s fine and appropriate to wish him retired, you don’t wish someone who spent 5 and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton dead.

V7_Sport

Walker/Perry 2016… and hope Hillary gets hit by a bus.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Lolz!

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I would crawl on my hands and knees over broken Democrats to get Cruz elected.

aunursa on March 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Walker/Perry 2016… and hope Hillary gets hit by a bus.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

You are my new favorite HA member – +1

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Note to Cruz. Its yours for the taking. Stop using the low camera angle shots. Very unflattering.

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I would crawl on my hands and knees over broken Democrats to get Cruz elected.

aunursa on March 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I may be completely wrong – but I don’t think 2016 is the year for Cruz.

Too much money to raise – and his base is very small.

Too many rough edges – although for the past few weeks Cruz has softened his tone toward others – which is smart – he is learning how to play in the school yard.

Needs a resume of achievement – not simply solid rhetorical positions.

That said – he will terrify anyone who has to debate him.

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

If Cruz runs, just shut up and take my money…and my vote.

Meople on March 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

jffree1 on March 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Amen.

Kaffa on March 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

The amazing thing about that call was that there were folks from all over the country and they were conversing with a junior Texas Senator about how to fix their America.

jffree1 on March 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM

That said – he will terrify anyone who has to debate him.

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

You have a solid point. None of the a fore mentioned points are relevant. One simple reminder. 0

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Ok – at least you give me one point – I can live with that.

Thanks goodness in the end – I may find myself voting for Cruz – if he is our nominee.

I could live with that also.

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Awesome ad, awesome music, awesome idea of a liberty loving leader.
Cruz, lead us to glory.

jazzuscounty on March 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Whoo Hooo Ted! Run baby run! This Texan voted for you before and will again.

Cruz 2016!

neyney on March 28, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Me likey, and most excellent!

****Intercontinental Cruz Ballistic Missile *******************!!

Political ICBM!!

canopfor on March 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

****Intercontinental Cruz Ballistic Missile *******************!!

Political ICBM!!

canopfor on March 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Clever

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Focus on 2014 please!

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Focus on 2014 please!

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Wow – thank you for that – you are 100% correct – thank you

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Abolish the IRS. Love it. Who but only the most radical Leftist kooks is going to object to that?

WhatSlushfund on March 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Where are the conservative voters going? Did I miss the memo?

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Say Boinkings Whats:

Does Ted Cruz Realize He’s Not Running for Office This Year?
His new video is just the most recent political ad to resemble a Hollywood blockbuster.

By Elahe Izadi and Emma Roller
March 28, 2014
***************
If you didn’t think Ted Cruz was mulling a run for president, watch this new video from his Senate campaign committee. You know, in case those Iowa trips didn’t convince you already.

The video culls portions of Cruz’s recent CPAC speech, highlighting lines about Obamacare, the IRS, and the Constitution, accompanied by dramatic instrumental music. It’s the Ted Cruz version of Braveheart, basically. It also makes you wonder why politicians don’t just provide a real-time score of their speeches as they’re delivering them.

Such dramatic political campaign videos have come into vogue the past couple of campaign cycles. Add dramatic strings, thunder claps, a flickering television set, ominous pictures of the White House, dystopian shots of abandoned buildings, and people with their heads in their hands, and voilà! You’ve got an grade-A political blockbuster.

A bunch of these campaign ads closely resemble specific movie trailers. Cruz’s CPAC speech almost resembles Mel Gibson’s monologue from the end of Braveheart:

By Elahe Izadi and Emma Roller
March 28, 2014

Now, we have this ad for Gov. Chris Christie that criticizes President Obama’s jobs plan. It’s called The Re-Awakening:

Which is pretty much the trailer for the second Matrix movie (not even the first!).

(More……)
======================

canopfor on March 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Where are the conservative voters going? Did I miss the memo?

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

“Replace” may have been the wrong word, but I think you know what he’s saying.

Bitter Clinger on March 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM

WhatSlushfund on March 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM

- Every tax accountant
- Every tax law firm
- Every tax political action committee
- Every mortgage banker

The IRS has become an embedded special interest group.

Great line – but it won’t happen – that said – let’s try

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM

2014, first.

That said, he should have called it

Si, se puede!

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Boinking Ughs,…a double pasty/copy,
I’ll be back,after a flogg myself for that
posty transgression!!

canopfor on March 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Si, se puede!

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Pero, puede reunir el dinero?

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM

The IRS, the now Mafia arm of the gov’t, NO matter who’s in power, has nearly 3000 lawyers.

Also, yesterday an audit exposed tons of fraud by IRS employees, using their credit cards for private hotel stays and such, unsupervised.

Imagine what the managers do…go to Vegas and drink in tubs?

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Imagine what the managers do…go to Vegas and drink in tubs?

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

First – I love the back end humor – great memory.

I have endured 4 audits in 10 years – I hate the IRS

The IRS is the like the Pentagon – it is embedded into every community in the USA – it owns us.

It a politician managed to abolish the IRS – I might drink their koolaid – no questions asked.

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Heather Grant
HeatherGrantNC Heather Grant Oct 27
I am an American and a Patriot. I will not be silenced. It is my responsibility to #MakeDCListen. #ncsen #tcot pic.twitter.com/VI78xqxlmx

canopfor on March 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Where are the conservative voters going? Did I miss the memo?

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Conservative and Tea Party Republicans have been under constant assault by the GOPe. Alienated, mocked, declared war on, and stabbed in the back at every opportunity.

Just yesterday in the House, the GOPe stabbed Conservatives in the back yet again.

Some in the GOPe “leadership” and their consultants have even hinted at wanting to replace the Conservative base of the party with new moderate (Democrat-Lite) Republicans they think will support them after Amnesty is rammed through with Dim support.

Meople on March 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I would like to see:

1. All government employees are personally libel for any laws that are broken. Put them in jail.

2. Any government employee who takes the 5th is automatically fired and loses their pension.

I’m sure that I could add to the list, but these two would help a lot.

Kaffa on March 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM

“Replace” may have been the wrong word, but I think you know what he’s saying.

Bitter Clinger on March 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Yes I know what he’s saying. It just struck me as funny.

And if the conservative voters ARE leaving I don’t want to be left behind :)

More seriously I think the new immigrants will be replacing black voters. The African American population will be decreasing due to the very policies they support – the ravages of welfare dependency and abortion. Hopefully we can find candidates that will reach out to them as they see this happening in their communities.

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Gryph’s prediction: 2016 will be a repeat of 2012. If Cruz runs, he will not make it past the primary. And that’s a pretty big if.

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Really clever guy and impressive speaker.

crankyoldlady on March 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Really clever guy and impressive speaker.

crankyoldlady on March 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM

You could say that about a lot of the politicians that have stabbed us in the back over the years.

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Need moar FUDpuppies.

Murphy9 on March 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Where are the conservative voters going? Did I miss the memo?

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You are right, a better word.

Lets see.

Cancelled out by others.
Nullified?

Effectively taking the vote from 60 million democrat and 60 million Republican to 80 to 90 million democrat and 65 to 70 million Republican.

Remember, last time amnesty went through something like 6 million out of 1.5 million were amnestied and around 12 million were imported as family reunification.

Today they are talking about 11 to 12 million, we know it is higher. lets just say it is 18 million, and they all bring another 36 million relatives here. 54 million new citizens, about 20 to 30 million new voters at the low end of a realistic amnesty. 70% of which are going to be democrat votes based on legal immigrating Hispanics, of which I would argue illegal aliens by and large being unwilling to live within the law are even less likely to be republican, but lets go with the 70%. 70% of 20 million votes is 14 million new democrat votes and the republicans do not get the other 30% but typically 25% as they vote third party too. So Republicans get 5 million new votes. Net new Democrat votes at the lower end of the scale turns in 9 million to their advantage.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Focus on 2014 please!

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Relax. I don’t know about you, but I’m perfectly capable of keeping more than one thought in my head at a time.

CurtZHP on March 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Yes I agree. But I think (wishful thinking??) that other demographic trends and better outreach to the minority communities may help.

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM

CurtZHP on March 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Well then, why don’t we think ahead to 2020 and if there’s even going to be an America worth saving by then, huh?

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM

kcewa on March 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM

What, in a hundred years? Adding these illegal aliens immediately turns all demographics against us in every single way. Once made legal within two presidential elections the Democrats will be a permanent majority.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I think Cruz is looking at running for POTUS..Just not 2016..But if he wants to try in 2016 I’m good with it..:)

Dire Straits on March 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM

JFKY on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Dave’s not here, man…

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Dave’s not here, man…

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on March 28, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Has the same tenor and feel of this one of Sarah Palin’s. Can’t remember if that was released before or after she bowed out of the 2012 election, but it certainly had the feel that she was prepared to run.

We could do FAR worse than Cruz. After Palin, he’s my next choice. I’m not sanguine about senators…it’s best to have someone who’s had executive experience…but so far, Cruz has kept walking the walk as well as talking the talk. I’d take him over choices like Rubio, Christie and Ryan.

theotherone on March 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM

That is the speech of a leader. I really think Cruz has the kind of presence and charisma it’s going to take to move people.

hawkdriver on March 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Dire Straits on March 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Same here.

hawkdriver on March 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM

V7_Sport

Walker/Perry 2016… and hope Hillary gets hit by a bus.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Lolz!

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

That’s mah sock! HF! lol

Midas on March 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I can only hope Cruz runs at some point. We need more like him. And soon.

Midas on March 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Further evidence of Rafael bin Laden’s disconnect from reality. I pity the poor schmucks whose money he wasted.

BrianJ on March 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Excellent ad Cruz. Effective and inspiring

Cruz will play a huge role but he’s not running for president. It was never part of his agenda

He has no organization or any signs of a 2016 run. I like Cruz..

Redford on March 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM

JFKY on March 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Something does not fit. This is like an orange, a grapefruit, a lemon and a coconut.

Alabama Infidel on March 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Needs a resume of achievement – not simply solid rhetorical positions.

jake-the-goose on March 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

This is my one reservation about Ted Cruz. America has already elected a smooth-talking first-term Senate sensation and that guy sucks.

Brendon Carr on March 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM

BrianJ on March 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I pity the people who lost their healthcare and got sick.

hawkdriver on March 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Me too..
Walker/Perry 2016… and hope Hillary gets hit by a bus.
V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Great! The All Amnesty Ticket! Hello President Hillary!

Brock Robamney on March 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM

BrianJ on March 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Well bigot, if it helps you with your pity party problem, think of it as an investment.

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Me too..
Walker/Perry 2016… and hope Hillary gets hit by a bus.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

How about Perry/Walker 2016

“There is no doubt that higher state taxes burden choices made by individuals regarding how they spend their hard-earned dollars and by firms with respect to how they invest their profits. The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) released a report entitled the “2013 State Tax Cut Roundup” noting that 18 state legislatures took pro-growth steps by substantially cutting taxes during their respective 2013 legislative sessions. As noted in the report, most states cut their income tax rate and the least cuts were made to state sales tax rates.

Texas made progress by making changes to its franchise tax, also known as the margin tax. This tax applies to the taxable margin of most businesses at either a 0.5% rate for wholesalers and retailers or 1% rate for all others.

ALEC notes in their report the following:

This legislative session, the Lone Star State further solidified its reputation as an excellent state in which to do business. A measure reforming the economically damaging Texas margins tax was approved. Governor Perry had asked the legislature to tackle the issue and the result was a tax cut of more than $1 billion to Texas businesses. The measure included adding a $1 million deduction for Texas businesses and lowered the rates on all businesses, regardless of size.

This reform, paired with the fact that Texas does not levy a personal income tax, signifies a re-dedication to the pro-growth tax and fiscal policies that have made Texas the economic powerhouse that it is today….”

And from the same site

“My recent op-ed published in the Investor’s Business Daily compared U.S. employment growth during the sluggish recovery under Obamanomics with the robust recovery under Reaganomics.

President Obama’s big-government fiscal policies promote uncertainty and crowding out of the private sector; whereas, President Reagan’s limited-government policies promoted risk-taking and innovation—keys for economic growth and job creation.

These different policy prescriptions for a weak economy and labor market had substantially different results. To summarize these results, U.S. Senator Ted Cruz said it quite well, “Reaganomics means you start a business in your garage. Obamanomics means you move into your parent’s garage.”

To compare these lackluster employment data under President Obama’s prescriptions of larger government intervention with President Reagan’s prescriptions of limited government interference, I calculate the net jobs added during the current 54-month expansion (June 2009 to December 2013) with changes in the employment-population ratio during the 1980’s 54-month expansion (November 1982 to May 1987).

With approximately 10,000 baby boomers retiring daily and high employment volatility of those between the ages of 16 to 24-years-old, let’s consider the 25 to 54-year-old group.

Historically, this age group faired quite well during past expansions. However, many of them have moved into their parent’s garage during the current expansion, whereby there were 5.8 million fewer 24 to 54-year-olds employed in December 2013 than when the recession began in December 2007.

During the 54-month expansion, monthly net job decline for this employment group has been about (-11,000) per month for a total net jobs loss of about (-587,000).

This age group had a much different opportunity for employment during the 1982-87 expansion. The total employment increase was 12.5 million, or 231,000 net jobs added per month. Clearly, there were two different results based on the underlying economic fundamentals and the policies that interfered with market forces.

By using the calculation described above for this age group to consider the employment figures under the limited-government prescriptions by President Reagan, average monthly net job gains would be 128,000 for a total of 7 million new jobs.

Clearly, there is a stark contrast between the employment gains for 25 to 54-year-olds under the policy framework of President Obama (Obama Employment) and President Reagan (Adjusted Reagan Employment (’82-’87 Growth)) (see figure below).

This age group would not only have 7.6 million more people employed under Reagan’s prescriptions compared with the Obama’s policies, but they would also have 1.8 million more people employed compared with before the recession. Employment growth at this rate would have closed the pre-recession employment gap by June 2012.

Another wildly different governing philosophy from the one by President Obama is right here in Texas. The Texas model of no income tax, smart regulations, and modest government spending has been a recipe for job creation success.

Let’s imagine that U.S. total employment grew at the same rate as in Texas during the 54-month expansion. By calculating the monthly U.S. employment gains from the percentage changes in jobs added in Texas, we can compare the two (see figure below).

These estimates show that the U.S. total employment would have reached its pre-recession peak in October 2011, something it had yet to do in December 2013. By December 2013, there would be 7 million more Americans employed.

Of course, it is not possible to have an exact counterfactual. There are economic, demographic, and labor market differences during different periods and regions that cannot be accounted for, so these calculations provide only an indication of what might happen during the most recent period.

However, there is a clear historical record of a prescription that brings people out of their parent’s garage and back into creating businesses in their own garage: limited-government policies by President Reagan and the Texas model.

These wholly different outcomes not only improve the lives of millions, but it also benefits the neediest among us. Left on its own, the unhampered market is the best path to prosperity….”

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Funny how many people always pick the pro amnesty scum as their favorites. Do you really hate conservatism that much?

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Teahadi…

Drink!

Murphy9 on March 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Perry is a secure the borders first guy..

He also said that as the Mexican economy improves…Amnesty will be a dead issue and that the focus needs to be on Border Security.

He also said we need to enact a new Monroe Doctrine for our hemisphere.

The Texas Economy is going strong and I’d like to see that happen across the nation in ways that voters of each state decode is best.

So…Bite Me!

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Aww, bless your heart. A walking-talking FatMan fan.
Bitter Clinger on March 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Some people are apparently incapable of defending someone from what is obviously a stupid smear unless they support that person. Unlike you I am not motivated to so limit myself. It is way too early to pick the nominee but at this point I like Paul, Cruz, Jeb Bush and Christie – in that order. I have misgivings with respect to each of these people. None are nearly as qualified as Romney was. I will however support the GOP nominee whomever that might be as I understand that politics is about choices. The Harridan is anathema to me.

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM

“Do you really hate conservatism that much?” Heh….

There were at least three other times we had smaller discussions. Maybe you should get a notepad and write this down. If the Republican nominee is Romney, then astonerii and his extended family will be voting for Obama.
astonerii on February 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

The point of voting Obama is to try to prevent Romney from ruining the brand name. Like Bush did….
astonerii on February 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I vote Obama if the only other choice on the ballot is Romney.
astonerii on October 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I will convince my 28 member extended family to vote Obama and let the Democrats take the responsibility for the next four years.
You can b!tch and moan all you want about how unfair it is….

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I will never in my life vote for Willard Mitt Romney. I will vote in this election.
astonerii on March 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I will vote. It will not be for Willard Mitt Romney. If you cannot live with another 4 years of Obama, pity to you for being such a pathetically weak person.
astonerii on March 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I will actively vote against Romney, I will vote for the conservative in the Senate and House. […] I will not go third party, I will go for the throat and vote direct for Obama. Parties do not learn lessons, but the electorate does!
[...] Vote for Obama, vote for the conservative for congress. Got it.
astonerii on February 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I would vote Obama just to shut people like you up.
astonerii on November 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I see Romney as a bigger long term threat to the nation than Obama.
astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I will vote Obama if there is not a solid true conservative with enough backbone to reverse the direction of the nation.
astonerii on April 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I vote Obama if Romney is on the ticket. I will not go so far as to send a donation or put a sticker on my bumper, I never put stickers on my bumper, but I will vote.
astonerii on July 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I can vote for Obama. This gives the most value. I am young enough to fight in a civil war today and a decade or so more, thus if I vote Obama, and he can bring the collapse of the American dollar and our economy faster than the R, my vote for him gives me value.
[...] voting Obama if the primary voters decide to pick a progressive is my next best option.
astonerii on June 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 8:54 PM

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Perry went to Mexico and said what he wants is an open flow of people between the two countries.
He said the only requirement for that open flow was that they Mexicans obtain a 24 month long work permit.
Then he refuses to require e-verify.
Then he attacks Arizona’s law that has police checking people’s papers.
That is an open border policy with amnesty included.
It comes with the lovely regressive policy goal of keeping people here in America who have no desire to assimilate and learn our culture indefinitely.

Perry signed a letter to congress in 2006 demanding that the legislatures pass comprehensive immigration reform. There was not a single bill out there back then which was going to pass without amnesty. That was the reason for the conservative revolt, and here was Perry pushing to make certain comprehensive immigration reform be passed. We all remember this. Perry cannot walk away from it as if it did not happen.

We ask that you pass comprehensive reform and address this critical issue before Congress adjourns for the year.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 8:54 PM

If Obama was (R) you would vote for him with no qualms at all. You would probably prefer it that way.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 8:54 PM

By the way, Romney is destructive to Conservatism. So 2012 was effectively a wash.
Didn’t you arrive at Hot Air at the november 2011 open enrollment along with all the other Romneybots? Yes, yes you did. Sure glad you guys were able to sabotage 2012, a banner year that was set to be a landslide for conservatism, right up until Romney won the nomination.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

You whined like a stuck pig that Gingrich didn’t win the primaries, vowing to vote for Obama in a petulant tantrum. Take a look at Gingrich’s ratings on immigration from Numbers USA.

Do you really hate conservatism that much? Yup, you do.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Looks like we found another subject you can’t be taken seriously on. You enjoy your evening here, maybe you can get a few rubes to stay home on election day and help elect democrats.. again.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Do you really hate conservatism that much? Yup, you do.

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I was not focused on immigration in 2012 as I was not looking at the fact that it would increase the vote for Democrats by between 10 and 20 million votes giving them effective permanent majority. But do feel free to go look at my arguments against NEWT on his immigration stance. It was not friendly.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM

V7_Sport on March 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Run away loser. Pro Romney shill that cost us 2012. It was you who cost us the election.

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM

V7_sport’s idea of a conservative.

Summary: Mitt Romney’s record as Governor does not indicate a commitment to a conservative judicial philosophy.

His judge appointees revealed at best “no philosophical or partisan pattern” (Boston Globe), or at worst a liberal and even radical tilt. He sought out feminists and radical homosexual groups in his judicial selection process. He was inconsistent in his pronouncements on judicial activism, allowing it to occur under his watch (with “gay marriage”) while simultaneously urging others to fight it. How then could we expect him to keep his recent promises to appoint constitutional conservatives to the bench if he is elected President?

What sort of attorneys would he name to his Justice Department? As Governor, his Chief Legal Counsels advised him to implement unconstitutional policies: implementing “gay marriage” without legislative authorization, and forcing Catholic hospitals to dispense morning-after abortion pills.

Are achieving “diversity” and “non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation” still core values for Romney in his appointments?

astonerii on March 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

The other thing is, I think Cruz could dial it back just a scosh. On balance not bad for first out of the gate.

Bmore on March 29, 2014 at 12:24 AM

This commercial is HUGE! I mean huge. This shows that Ted Cruz has what it takes to really get us ALL fired up. He is the opposite of the issue skirting double talking diffident Romney. This man, the firebrand and debate champion, and Hispanic, is going to go all the way. Now is his opportunity. He shouldn’t think that he needs to sit around and wait until he gets older. It’s now that these unique circumstances have called him to the fore. Go with it.

And I like him a lot more than Rand Paul, even though I’m a full on libertarian. I’m not 100% sure about Rand’s foreign policy, but it’s much more than that. I don’t think Paul has that Cruz aura of unreserved indomitable toughness and resolution. There’s a little bit of that wishy-washiness in Paul when you see him hedging a bit with some of his libertarian or even socially conservative positions. And the truth is, as far as Reagonesque libertarianism, Cruz is going to be almost as good as Paul, without the potential negatives.

Worst of all for Rand Paul is that he wouldn’t unify us completely. Paul would be a lot better than Romney, but that’s not saying much. Cruz will get us all fired up and all unified. Few others can do that, and lack of unity is our greatest danger (remember the “missing white vote” that Romney inspired). Cruz will unify us, and he will appeal strongly to independents that will like his certitude and intelligence and character.

Cruz 2016!!!!!!!! !

anotherJoe on March 29, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Just for you then anotherJoe.

Bmore on March 29, 2014 at 12:46 AM