Scarborough to Schumer: Do you really think the Koch brothers are un-American?

posted at 12:41 pm on March 28, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

We missed this yesterday, but it’s worth watching today. Joe Scarborough put Chuck Schumer on the hot seat yesterday on Morning Joe over Harry Reid’s accusations that the Koch brothers are “un-American” for, er, engaging in the political process and free speech. Schumer keeps trying to change the subject, but Scarborough won’t let him off the Kochsteria hook — until Schumer finally goes the full Reid:

On Thursday morning he demanded to know whether Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) believed the wealthy pair warranted the term, especially given what Scarborough described as their copious philanthropy.

“When David Koch does ads that say ‘Cut government’ and you cut [the National Institutes of Health], far more about cancer research is hurt than the good he does, which he should get credit for, for giving to charity,” Schumer said. “Private charity cannot deal with the major problems we face, as good and noble a thing as it is.”

“But, senator, can’t we have a disagreement about how charity is funded without calling somebody un-American?” Scarborough countered.

“The commercials he runs are not part of the American mainstream,” Schumer said. “No two people should have such a huge influence on our politics. That’s not First Amendment…I think the commercials he is running are against the American grain and un-American, yes. I think what Harry Reid was saying was the actions are un-American. And they are, and they should change.”

And behold, we now have Democrats attacking the patriotism of their opponents for opposing their agenda even in speech. Remember when dissent was patriotic? Good times, good timesOf course, the author of that argument abandoned it when it suited her purposes too, so at least Democrats have that consistency going for them.

Note that it’s not un-American for Senate Democrats to kiss up to Tom Steyer with an all-night session on global warming even when they have no legislation to propose. Climate change routinely ranks at the bottom of voter priorities, so doesn’t that cut “cut against the American grain,” too? How about all of the money spent by outside PACs funded by deep-pocket donors in support of the first-ever peacetime command economy imposed on Americans?  That cuts “against the American grain,” too, especially if one sees the most recent polling.

It’s fine to oppose the Koch brothers’ political positions, but the idea that it’s somehow un-American to speak in the public square in support of one’s preferred policies is historically ignorant and morally repugnant. That’s especially true when it comes from elected officials attempting to silence their opposition, which really does cut “against the American grain.”

Meanwhile, the newest bloggers at the Washington Post wonder when their hosts will get around to apologizing to the Kochs:

Last week, a story by Steven Mufson and Juliet Eilperin declared that Koch Industries was “the biggest lease owner in Canada’s oil sands.” This claim was made in the headline and opening paragraph. After receiving some push-back, the pair wrote afollow-up claiming that Koch is only “one of the region’s largest,” citing figures showing that other companies had larger confirmed holdings and unnamed industry sources who believe Koch’s holdings are greater than the 1.1 million acres reported. In other words, the reporters no longer stood by the claim made in the headline and lead. Moreover, when Phil Kerpen checked the official records, he found that a Canadian company’s holdings exceed all estimates of Koch holdings and may be more than double those owned by Koch.  If the numbers Kerpen compiled are correct, Koch is not the largest lease owner, even if it owns more than the 1.1 million acres confirmed in story.

From the above, it would appear that the central factual claim trumpeted in the headline and lead of the original story is false. Is this not the sort of thing that calls for a correction?

Be careful, Jonathan Adler. Dissent may no longer be patriotic at your new digs, either.

Comments

But Soros isn’t! Schmuck…………………

nobama1267 on March 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Koch brothers, “plutocrats”, per Schumer, schmuckie

Soros “just a guy”, per Schmuckie

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Dissent is only American when leftist thugs are dissenters.

Illegal aliens are more American than the Koch brothers, go figure.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM

No two people, but if it’s one person like Hungarian George Soros then that’s A-Okay!

Fenris on March 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Harry Reid should rot in prison.

Schmuckie should bring him water.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Schumer is not going to say anything negative or against his buddy Reid. He is going to stick to the script like all Dems do which is smart politically since the GOP never seems to call them on it effectively.

major dad on March 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM

When it comes to mendacious rhetoric and shameless ideological driven spin, Schumer is very little different from the Senate Majority Leader.

Of course, in Schumer’s dishonest rants against the Koch Brothers, in his fascist efforts to silence dissent that he disagrees with, he has little use for truth or facts. Like the fact that among those donating for political purposes, the Koch brothers are outspent by 18 unions in their efforts to promote progressive fascism between 1989 and 2014 (and the Koch’s are ranked 50th overall).

Schumer is little more than the petulant wanker who is leading the current 2 minutes of hate on Emmanuel Goldstein the Koch Brothers.

Athos on March 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Chuck Schumer only has one moral or ethical value, it’s the exact same moral and ethical value that Karl Marx and Saul Alinsky had, “The End Justifies the Means”. They learned it at the knee of their father, Lucifer, the father of all lies.

oscarwilde on March 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Ironically, Schumer is doing everything he can to destroy America demographically, financially, culturally.

Whitey Ford on March 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM

“ignorant and morally repugnant”.

Perfectly describes Chuckie and his ilk.

bobthm3 on March 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Scarbrough did a mice job of exposing Schumer as just another intolerant lefty wanting to silence Americans right to free speech.

Ellis on March 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I say let the dumbocrats all disuage the Koch brothers. It just makes them look like the stupid idiots they are. I don’t even think the majority of LIV’s would believe them, or even know what they are talking about.

NOMOBO on March 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM

What does Reid’s granddaughter think?

mankai on March 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM

You went the full Reid.

Never go the full Reid…

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I don’t always agree with Joe, but he did a nice job here.

GOPRanknFile on March 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM

So…then Obama’s advertisements for Obamacare are un-American – since the majority of Americans oppose it and it is therefore “not part of the American mainstream”.

DamnCat on March 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM

What does Reid’s granddaughter think?

mankai on March 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM

(((I wonder how much more money I can get out of the campaign accounts…)))

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Follow up question: “Is George Soros un-American for the same reason? or are you simply equating patriotism with whether or not someone subscribes to the Democrat political perspective?”

RedManBlueState on March 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Munchkin.

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Schumer: “Anyone who says something I don’t agree with is un-American!”

FIFY

s1im on March 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Munchkin.

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Wow… that’s pretty unfair to the Munchkins…

oscarwilde on March 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM

So, Schumer thinks that exercising your given Constitutional right in un-American. WOW> It’s no wonder that the country is so effed up.

rjoco1 on March 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Well, Schumer was Anthony Weiner’s godfather as he rose through the political ranks.

butch on March 28, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Slimy eel. Sorry for insulting eels.

birdwatcher on March 28, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Unfortunately it’s a futile exercise trying go Alinsky and make so-called progressives to live up to their own principles.

They have none other than ‘say and do anything to win.’

Drained Brain on March 28, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Bmore, did you see these?

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Who gives a rat’s backside what Schumer thinks?

rplat on March 28, 2014 at 1:07 PM

butch on March 28, 2014 at 1:04PM

actually butch .. Weiner was DEFINITELY Chucky’s boytoy .. re :

Da da da da .. da da da da .. da da da da .. da da da da .. Cohibaman!!!

It was an early morn at the glistening CohibaCave (don’t ask what makes it glisten!) when our two intrepid crime fighters, Cohibaman and Nobbin, were strategerizing about the latest full court press blitz their arch enemies had conspired to bring after them.

Nobbin : Holy connoli, Cohibaman, that Mr Freeze (Breitbart) has more hoarfrost on his accusations against me than I ever sent to any of those young ladies!

Cohibaman : Careful Nobbin, it sounds like you’re taking a shot at me and Miss ‘blue dress’ Lewinsky with that hoarfrost comment! Unless you’re talking about Mrs Cohibaman .. hehe ! Hoarfrost — get it?

Nobbin : Now’s not the time for jokes Cohibaman! My weiner is definitely in hot water over this one! Talk about dirty water, sheeeeesh?! Golly, I wish there were some way to turn back time and get everybody off of my johnson!

Cohibaman : Don’t worry chum, by the way .. I thought no one was touching your willywacker, that’s what got you into this mess in the first place?

Nobbin : Well the good news, my wife Huma, is preggo, even though we never consummated the marriage. It’s funny, but the day they say she was impregnated was the day of my wedding .. and you and I were the only ones who spent any alone time with her at my wedding, at your estate. Do you remember that day and how beautiful she looked?

Cohibaman : I only saw the top of her head that day, so I really don’t remember. But I did get really shit-faced, if only to keep that harridan away from me. Why can’t she spend ALL of time in Syria or some other shithole?

Nobbin : ENOUGH about your marriage already! Why don’t you just divorce that bitch?

Cohibaman : She knows where all the skeletons are buried, literally!! But what are we to do about all these villainous attacks? The Joker (Nanski Peloski) came out and said you have to resign from the Justice League yesterday!

Nobbin : She’s such a yutz! She called yesterday to complain and got the Justice’s League instead of the Justice League, and Scalia told her to go pound salt and call the right number next time! Fuckin neo-cons!!

Cohibaman : Careful with the language Nobbin, this is a children’s show and until we convert everyone to our debauched view of life, we still have to pretend to play by their rules. BTW did you hear what Senator Clayface from Nevada said yesterday? Between the mumbling I distinctly made out the words “cowboy poetry” and “don’t have him call me .. have him call the Penquin or Twoface”! Senator Penquin (D-NY) has disowned you, even though you were his boytoy before you were mine. And Senator Twoface (D-Ma) can’t make up his mind about anything, except where to berth his yacht, the ILoveJawn.

Nobbin : Well, Cohibaman, we’re gonna have to come up with a plan to save my swizzlestick, or I’m dead meat!!!

Cohibaman : Don’t worry Nobbin, it’s a small matter .. to change perception, all you have to do is change the meaning of words! It worked for me! I raped several women, had my vast leftwing conspiracy attack machine savage them some more, killed Ron Brown when he wouldn’t play ball, lied to Congress under oath about all of it … and still came out smelling like a rose! That’s the difference between us, my meat ain’t dead .. despite the damage Hildog done .. and you have to resort to using the internet that the Scarecrow invented, to get your wong waxed!

Nobbin : Hey, I tried the word thing — I went from hacked to pranked to certitude. Didn’t work! And hey you know what Hitchens says — Politics is show business for ugly people! How else am I gonna get layed!

Cohibaman : Well you know, you ARE married now. You sure she won’t let you touch her?

Nobbin : We did make out this one time, but I got a bad feeling from it. She kept murmuring Oh Hil Oh Hil .. over and over again .. and when I asked her about it .. she just said SHUT UP and become mayor already!! She’s a social climber that one .. even worse than me!!

Cohibaman : Welcome to the club chum! Between you, me and Arnold .. we picked some ambitious women!!! If only they would take it like brave little soldiers and just Move On.

Nobbin : Hey! Are you making fun of my ‘brave little soldier’!? I thought you were my mentor?

Cohibaman : Hey, size DOES matter, that’s why I use cigars! And I got caught smelling my finger all day when I first became POTUS, so I had to change off. And nobody faults a guy for smelling his cigar before chomping on it! That’s why they call me Slick Willie, a far cry from Sick Willie!

Nobbin : Hey, he’s not sick, just lonely! Well, we gotta program the CohibaComputer to come up with a strategery to distract the public until this goes away. Maybe we can ask Superman or Seaman for some help?

Cohibaman : It’s Aquaman! You know he hate’s it when you call him Seaman! And I think you should stay away from anything that ooze’s from your peter for now. Besides, Superman gave up his citizenship and moved to Sweden. He’s lost to us, frickin illegal alien!

Nobbin : Language! Remember the kiddies.

Cohibaman : I hope it doesn’t cum out that you were emailing younglings! Even I couldn’t save you!

Narrator : WEINWHILE, BACK AT THE JUSTICE’S LEAGUE -

Scalia to Thomas : If I have to take another call from some stupid dem who’s trying to get to the Justice League to complain about some little dickhead from NY, I’m gonna explode!

Thomas : Careful Antonin! Media Matters still might have that lipstick cam shoved up your asshole – remember when you thought you just had a hemmorhoid! That was NOT funny!@

Scalia : If it WAS funny, it would have been a humorhoid!! hehe I still got it!

Thomas : Don’t ever stop being you A! Have we scheduled those competency hearings for those psychos we share the bench with yet?

Scalia : Maybe we should just wait until Obamacare gets here and they should self-destruct at that point. Ah sweet Justice!

As nightfall fell over the sleeping city of Gotham, our citizenry can sleep secure in their beds (unless they have bedbugs) and be comforted in the knowledge that Gotham’s Dark Knight and his sidecock, Nobbin (cmon you didn’t think we’d get through this without saying cock at least once!!) are out stalking, predating and sexting the night away!!

GKChesterton99 on March 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Bmore, did you see these?

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 1:07 PM

If a camera could capture what a persons soul looked like… the Democrats would make it a capital offense punishable by death sentence for anyone who used that camera on a Democrat politician.

oscarwilde on March 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM

NOMOBO on March 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM

To the contrary, many LIVs do believe all of the Koch BS. Even saw a few of them trying to discredit Power Line’s John Hinderaker last week, when he exposed the WaPo story as totally false.

Of course, all they could do was claim that Hinderaker’s piece was a lie, but they couldn’t disprove any of the documentation he included.

Del Dolemonte on March 28, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Charles Schumer doesn’t believe in freedom of speech. Charles Schumer is anti-American.

rbj on March 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM

No two people should have such a huge influence on our politics

The Koch brother’s ads take up a lot less airtime than the leftists in the MSM.

agmartin on March 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM

So calling the American People the “chattering class” ISN’T un-American Chuck the Schmuck?

What a moron.
NYers deserve him.

Pelosi Schmelosi on March 28, 2014 at 1:23 PM

oscarwilde on March 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Good point! ; )

Bmore, did you see these?

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Not until just now. Very revealing, nicely done. ; )

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. They pay very well. ; )

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Koch Brothers that is. ; )

Bmore on March 28, 2014 at 1:26 PM

As the statists tighten their hold on this country, it becomes more important to frame all arguments in an emotional, rather than rational way.

Those who disagree with the statist positions are not just wrong, but actually evil. Dem leaders and opinion makers may not want to use that old fashioned word evil however, so they will substitute unAmerican or racist instead

This tendency to literally demonize the opposition has been getting much worse during the Obama dictatorship-by-idiot, since it works beautifully to simplify all the argumentation.

If we are good and they are evil, then one has the advantage of reducing all discussions to “Yay! Our team!” plus the actual punishing, jailing or killing of the opposition isn’t so bothersome.

If They are Evil, they’re not like us. Why should we care? After all, they killed Jesus and they use Christian babies in their joo-ish rituals, right? (oops! demographic argument not updated. Sorry!)

Uh, hurting working families , uhh RACISSS, mmmmarriage equality sumpin sumpin. I’ll get back to you.

Pless1foEngrish on March 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Just checked out the WaPo comments at the story asking for the correction to last week’s story…plenty of LIVs there squealing that no retraction is necessary, because….this was a WaPo blog story.

And one LIV there is actually claiming that the Kochs own the land in Canada!

Well, they may not be the largest landholders. But, you know, somewhere in the top 5. Probably.

“IT BURNS!”

Del Dolemonte on March 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM

So what kind of ad does run with the American grain, a union member and DNC activist relating to the day Mitt Romeny gave his wife cancer? A Georgetown Law slut who makes the claim that government-funded contraception is the only way she could possibly afford to screw around? Seriously, if any ads run against the grain of what America stands for (or used to anyway) they are the ads from the left.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 1:31 PM

“ignorant and morally repugnant”.

Perfectly describes Chuckie and his ilk.

bobthm3 on March 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM

You forgot ‘scum’.

trigon on March 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Schmuck Schumer and Dingy Harry are hell spawn.

jawkneemusic on March 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Only thing missing from Chuck U Schumer is his Brown Shirt.

GarandFan on March 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM

the full Reid

NEVER
go full Reid!

CurtZHP on March 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Nothing is un-American, except suppressing what other people are trying to do. Period.

blammm on March 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Flora Duh @FloraDuh1
.@SenSchumer It’s obvious from polls Obamacare is against the American grain. Therefore the actions of those supporting it are un-American.

Flora Duh on March 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Foxes and hens

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I doubt most of these people even know who the Koch brothers are. I don’t. They’re just a convenient bogey man (or bogey men). They have to have an enemy and apparently they feel they don’t have enough.

crankyoldlady on March 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM

The bigger question is does Scarborough think the Koch’s are un-American.

Schumer won’t be the one facing Hillary in the Democratic primaries.

Alberta_Patriot on March 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Should have asked him if nosing around Michael Steeles SSN and personal records were un-American. Dirtbag he could care less about anything other than scamming voters into thinking he and Reid care about them.

tte415f on March 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM

“No two people should have such a huge influence on our politics.”

Yes, Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer have too much influence.

It isn’t just Obama who pukes rainbows and unicorns.

J_Crater on March 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Bernie Madoff’s boy

Deafdog on March 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Ah Chucky… the Ranking Senator from NY who obeyed the Clinton demand for him to take second seat to the carbpetbagging Junior Senator Hillary…

He’s a good submissive rank and file Democrat stooge.

Odie1941 on March 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I have faith — possibly misplaced — in Bezos. Snubbed boy wonder, invited the volokhs, and lots of recent articles on libertarian subjects and even written with libn themes.

Kochs are libn rockstars. Prolly safe to write in their defence at Bezos’ wapo.

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 28, 2014 at 2:21 PM

crankyoldlady on March 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM

They can’t go after Halliburton any more, because:

1. George Soros bought $61 million worth of the company in 2006.

2. Many Halliburton employees, including a Senior VP, donated heavily to Dear Leader in 2008 and 2012.

3. Dear Leader actually gave Halliburton no-bid work in Iraq, but then quickly walked it back. Nearly all such references to said contract have been scrubbed by the Democrat Search Engine Google.

Del Dolemonte on March 28, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Scum, aren’t they?

MTF on March 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM

The odious couple

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I doubt most of these people even know who the Koch brothers are. I don’t.

crankyoldlady on March 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM

If folks are curious and have the time, this is a good way to meet one of the Koch brothers:

The interview is recent – about a month ago. You don’t have to listen to more than a few minutes to get the character of the man. But if you do have 40 minutes, it’s worth the time.

climbnjump on March 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I love it when a democrat lets his mask drop and demonstrates that the progressive term is shorthand for fascist.

Chuck the Schmuck would have been in Hitler’s high command and probably on trial in Nuremberg.

jukin3 on March 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Ironically, Shades of that Great Republican, Abe ‘The Honest” Lincoln; the One who arrested hundreds of political opponents (many of whom were newspaper editors/owners), suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus, believed Blacks to be less than Whites, except as political pawns, believed taxes to the Federal Government superseded state sovereignty and individual freedom; and started (yes, look it up in any unbiased text) and waged Total War against an agrarian society which only wanted to go its own (Constitutional)way, resulting in the destruction of the capacity to produce food for the populace and, ultimately, the deaths of thousands of civilians from starvation and lack of shelter. Schumer and his ilk are just the modern version of Yankees speaking power to truth. There, I’ve said it!

vnvet on March 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM

The Democratics give their favorite Nazi stooge George Soros a pass on this stuff. They know that helping load people onto trains bound for concentration camps is a skill that they might need in the future.

slickwillie2001 on March 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Un-American? Dirt bag?

tte415f on March 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Ugh. Greasy. Everytime I hear Schumer speak I feel like I need a shower.

nametaken on March 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM