House Intel chair to retire

posted at 9:21 am on March 28, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The retirement parade continues in the House of Representatives, with a new and surprising grand marshal for the moment. Mike Rogers, the House Intelligence Committee chair, has served seven terms and risen quickly in Republican leadership, but has decided to retire rather than defend his MI-08 seat. Just a year ago, Rogers sounded as though he’d be sticking around for a while:

Seven-term Republican Congressman Mike Rogers of Michigan says he won’t seek re-election.

The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee announced his plans on Friday morning during an interview on a Detroit radio station. He says he’ll serve out the end of his term and plans to start a national radio program.

Last year, Rogers had said he would not run for the U.S. Senate in Michigan this year, saying the best way for him to make a difference in Washington is staying in the House.

What changed his mind? Rogers got an offer to host a Detroit talk-radio show:

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers plans to leave Congress after this year to host a talk radio show for Cumulus Media Inc, the Michigan congressman said on Friday.

“I had a career before politics and always planned to have one after. The genius of our institutions is they are not dependent on the individual temporary occupants privileged to serve. That is why I have decided not to seek re-election to Congress in 2014,” the Republican said in a statement.

Speaking earlier to a Detroit radio station, Rogers said he plans to start his Cumulus show in January, the Detroit News reported.

“They may have lost my vote in Congress, but you haven’t lost my voice,” he told WJR-AM, according to the newspaper.

Rogers and I are roughly the same age, and he came to Congress in 2001 at 37. His previous career was at the FBI, investigating corruption and organized crime. His new career will, as he suggests in his statement, be more like his second career than his first. One has to admire, though, the willingness to walk away from Washington instead of sticking around for a lifetime, like one of Rogers’ Michigan colleagues, who’s now attempting to pass the seat held by the family for nearly a century to his wife.

The timing is less admirable, though, or at least more problematic. Until now, there was little reason to think that Rogers and the GOP wouldn’t hold this seat. It’s nominally a swing district with an R+2 rating from Cook, and Mitt Romney won it by three points over Barack Obama in the 2012 election. With the sudden departure of Rogers, a hold here is less certain, especially given the lateness of the decision. It’s unlikely that any Republicans had seriously organized in the district at this point, but Democrats probably have, and the GOP will be at a disadvantage for at least a while in a close district. If this turns out to be a wave election, the timing may not matter much anyway.

Comments

Good riddance RINO!

Conservative4Ever on March 28, 2014 at 9:23 AM

At least he leaves to do something else.

22044 on March 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM

“They may have lost my vote in Congress, but you haven’t lost my voice,”

Thank God….whatever would we do if we couldn’t at least hear his voice…? /s

Arrogant pricks…every last one of them.

SwabJockey on March 28, 2014 at 9:29 AM

What changed his mind? Rogers got an offer to host a Detroit talk-radio show:

He may have dropped the news on Detroit talk-radio but it sounds like Cumulus is looking for national syndication.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Roy Rogers on March 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

If he can sing at all (SWIDT), he can go on tour, impersonating Meatloaf.

Ward Cleaver on March 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM

At least he leaves to do something else.

22044 on March 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Something else that doesn’t involve K Street.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Something else that doesn’t involve K Street.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Yes – excellent point.

I don’t know much about Mike Rogers, but I generally favor new blood.

22044 on March 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I for one will miss him.

You folks outside of Michigan have got to remember that this is the State of Dingel, Levin (the brothers) and Stabenow. Rogers at least in the House could make a bit of a difference. Oh yea…and that Bart Stupak guy.

Hey…I would have gladly taken Rogers over on my side of the State.

Oh yea and that Kate Upton chick.

Scoreboard44 on March 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Because obviously we need more talk radio hosts.

Good Lt on March 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM

His hair is too nice. Reminds me of John Edwards. There’s a back story here. How long before he says something that gets him in trouble? Or flips to MSNBC territory? Seems too odd. Sorry, but my skepticism-meter is running off the charts with this story.

conservative pilgrim on March 28, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Betcha anything that “pictures” are about to be released.

HiJack on March 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM

7 terms is long enough.

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Ever since Hannity and Cumulus had a falling out I’ve been subjected to Michael Savage on WJR. I never thought I would miss Hannity…

I just wonder who Rogers will be replacing. Anything is an improvement over Savage, so here’s hoping.

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM

So he used his position in congress to make a deal like this? I guess its childs play compared to most there but still seems wrong.

JQA on March 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Because obviously we need more talk radio hosts.

Good Lt on March 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Because Markos and his Krazy Kos Kids are always complaining that there’s too many (R) leaning talk radio shows, I say yeah, the more the better.

Flora Duh on March 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I hear ya…Savage is down here on WBAP as well.

UGH!

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM

There’s nothing problematic about holding this seat. Democrats don’t win Romney districts above the Mason Dixon line -the only remaining one is your fellow Minnesotan Collin Petterson-, especially in a midterm and on exurb/suburb districts. Only chance is if we nominate some gadfly.

I think the reason Mike Rogers retired this year was to give some margin of error.

Current Michigan SoS Ruth Johnson and State Reps Joe Hune and Cindy Denby are good names for this seat.

joana on March 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Wonder what Thayrone X has to say about this.

platypus on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

A cool head and experience are useful in troubled times. He had both. Who would be likely to step up to his Chairmanship?

KW64 on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Same here in DC but I don’t think Savage is doing well. They only cover the first two hours and then put on a “Live at Five” show for the last hour.

I don’t exactly miss Hannity but Savage going on and on about how brilliant he is- that’s annoying.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

The timing is less admirable, though, or at least more problematic.

With 0bama toxic and it being a midterm election, I think it is the perfect time for him to retire. Much better than 2016 with Hilary or another minority that will bring the leeches out in droves.

cozmo on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

JQA on March 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM

How exactly did he use his position in Congress? Perhaps he should have opted for long term unemployment or stayed in Congress forever? Or forge a new identity to find a new job?

joana on March 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM

workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM

There is always KZPS.

cozmo on March 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM

joana on March 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Well if it ain’t the paid Romney shill that dropped off the face of the Earth after the 2012 Republican primaries were over. How you been, skank?

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I haven’t watched Hannity for two years. Can’t stand him. He’s a blowhard, a one-trick pony and shuts down opposing views. I haven’t missed him one bit. In fact, I almost put him on the same level of dislikable viewing as Obama. Almost, but only because NOBODY can be as bad as Zero.

HiJack on March 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

How you been, skank?

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Being a little rough on the Beaver, aren’t you Ward?

platypus on March 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

joana on March 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Do they all live within the district? There is a similar battle going on within the GOP down here in VA- too many Republican candidates running for the same nomination. It could get ugly.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Talk show host is a bit ironic; if you chaired the Intelligence committee, there is a lot you cannot talk about.

KW64 on March 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Yesterday on the way home from work he had Alex Jones on. I usually just keep it on WJR all the time, but I’ve been doing a lot of channel surfing with this insane blowhard on the air.

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Being a little rough on the Beaver, aren’t you Ward?

platypus on March 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

No, he ain’t.

cozmo on March 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

They do and I’m just mentioning a few possible names, no idea if they plan to run. I doubt there’s more than 2 candidates in the GOP primary, one from Oakland and one from Livingston.

What’s the district in VA?

joana on March 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Yep, Savage here in Dallas, too. Freaking moron.

Midas on March 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I sincerely hope that was meant as a joke.

steebo77 on March 28, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Midas on March 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Again, KZPS.

Much less stressful.

cozmo on March 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Benghazi…?

d1carter on March 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I didn’t always like Medved, but I was bummed when he got bumped by Hannity.
Savage seemed like a new voice that might be interesting, but I’m starting to lose interest in him. I hope that I don’t need a talk radio fix between the hours of 3 and 5. That wouldn’t be good for me.

22044 on March 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I didn’t always like Medved, but I was bummed when he got bumped by Hannity.

22044 on March 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM

It’s drive time it’s less a fix than something to listen to on the commute home. I’m not interested in Savage screaming about how he’s the only honest talk show host who has been black-balled by the rest of the media for being so much smarter than any of them “wallbanger” (Hannity) Shamrock (O’Reilly) and “Hemmaroid with eyes” (Limbaugh?).

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Yep, Savage here in Dallas, too. Freaking moron.

Midas on March 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Hey, Dallas is one of the cities where Savage claims he has slaughtered all competition (Hannity) in the market. If true, Savage isn’t the only freaking moron.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I see. Sounds like your commute is a bit earlier than mine. I can’t remember the last time I left the office before 5.
And yeah, Savage calling the other talkers names is a turn-off.

22044 on March 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Rush listener since I think 93, Michael Medved I also enjoy that was originally on KVI in Seattle. I find that when the “Savage the listener show” is on, I am off to another station – even NPR to listen to the enemy is better than Savage. He puts the Kook in Konservative for sure.

Something is really strange here with Rogers – wonder what is behind the scenes. Late announcements can be a setup, he wants to change and he has a buddy or client that wants a house seat, quick switcheroo gets the new guy in.

Cumulus is hurting for talent right now, losing both Hannity as well as Rush off of a lot of stations (Rush has EIB, but he HAD a contract with a bunch of Cumulus, but has moved.)

Jay Galt on March 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

R+2. Makes no diff. Mich/Detroit politics? The fix is already in. Dimbullbcrat a shoe-in.

vnvet on March 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Jay Galt on March 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I don’t know about other Cumulus stations, but Rush is still on the air here at WJR, which is Cumulus owned.

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Good riddance!!!

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM

vnvet on March 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM

There is a difference between Michigan and Detroit politics. Dingell, the Levin boys, Conyers, the Kilpatricks- that’s all Detroit, not Michigan. Other parts of the state are more sane.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Too bad he’s a rino. Looks a little like Jack Bauer.

ncjetsfan on March 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Statist putz. Looks like a loser trying to make money doing “real work” as yet another radio hack.

antisense on March 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Has the irs or fbi been snooping around his closet?

Kissmygrits on March 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

For those in the Dallas area, Hannity is on 660 at the same time he was on WBAP. I flip over as soon as Rush’s show ends.

Sue on March 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I would not be surprised if he has discovered he has serious health issues and he doesn’t want to commit to the next term. It’s easier to quit a talk radio spot on short notice (assuming that the radio thing even materializes) than the House Intel leadership.

If that is the case, retiring now is the responsible thing to do, both for Intel and because we know this will be a good year for Rs so there will be no chance of losing the seat.

Missy on March 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers

I am happy to see him retire. He was too strong in his defense of NSA spying on citizens and seemed at ease with the notion that the Patriot Act allowed such actions. I found him… creepy in a mildly condescending “we smart people on the (super secret) intelligence committee know stuff you rubes just can’t know… therefore just take our word for it” kind of way. Like maybe we should just shut up and not criticize the spook community for trying oh so hard to keep us safe… even if they might be doing things that are a tiny, wee little bit unconstitutional.

jffree1 on March 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

This fella was waaay too happy to defend NSA spying on the people of the USA. He called Snowden a traitor for pulling back the covers. Had no compunction for the NSA collecting and storing data on everyone.

Good Riddance, Mike Rogers. Don’t let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya.

elowe on March 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

NotCoach on March 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM
workingclass artist on March 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Midas on March 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM
22044 on March 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Jay Galt on March 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Sue on March 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Wholeheartedly agree re: Savage. He’s as obnoxious as BO’R and spends the majority of airtime congratulating himself and/or trashing other hosts. Savage took over Hannity’s timeslot at NY’s WABC station which used to be the only talk radio station worth listening to in the market. Mark Levin is the only reason why I still tune in–can’t stand the other hosts (Imus, Geraldo, Curtis & Kuby, Savage, John Batchelor).

Prediction for Rogers’ radio show: It will suck as badly as Huckabee’s.

SheVee on March 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I didn’t always like Medved, but I was bummed when he got bumped by Hannity.

22044 on March 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I used to really like Savage, I listened to him for years and read all his books (Both Trickle Down Poverty and Trickle Up Tyranny are a wealth of knowledge) but his bloated ego is tiresome.
He got booted to a later timeslot and replaced by Michael Berry who is terrific. Funny as heck, smart and entertaining especially on the Friday drive home. I think he’s on I Heart Radio if you care to check out his show. Maybe if enough people request it they’ll put him on the air where you live.

Buttercup on March 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM

The backstory on Rogers is increasing bewilderment and anger about his lackluster investigation of Benghazi.

Chriscom on March 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM

This link to Joe DeGenova’s appearance a couple of weeks ago on WMAL in DC is worth listening to. Says Rogers has been telling reporters that Benghazi is not a scandal and they should not be reporting it. Says he has tried to ‘kill Benghazi’. Refused to bring in CIA for interviews alleging it was too costly… Discontent “has been brewing” by members of the committee and not on the committee. Says Boehner had a sit-down with him about it…. “there is going to be a reaction to him, I cannot believe this will be allowed to continue” [DeGenova]..”I think Boehner has pushed the button enough, that Rogers is going to have to act..”

Sounds like he acted.

Chriscom on March 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Buttercup on March 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Michael Berry used to fill in for Mark Levin — he’s extremely funny, especially when trashing Congress-WOMAN! Sheila Jackson Lee

SheVee on March 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Maybe more to the story of his chief of staff and CIA head deal after the Benghazi coverup…?

d1carter on March 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Because he’s done such a bang-up wonderful job with his committee, right? Darryl Issa probably laughs at this guy’s refusal to pursue the obvious to any sort of closure.

And he doesn’t seem to be exactly talk radio talent, either. Watch his deer-in-the-headlight mumbling when Megyn Kelly asked him about Benghazi on her show. Mister personality. Somehow, this career move must be some kind of corollary to Rush’s thesis that “politics is show business for the ugly”.

bofh on March 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I used to lisen to Michael Savage occasionally when I was traveling. He is a very bright guy. I think he looked around and decided there was a market for that over the top diatribe stuff. He was probably right but now maybe people are tired of it.

crankyoldlady on March 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM

He has the face for radio.

jaywemm on March 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I didn’t like him anyway, he’s a creep who will stand 1 foot in front of you, look you dead in the eye and lie his ass off like it was nothing. He’s a RINO, a phoney, and with the escalating tensions between the USA and the rest of the world, he can’t get rid of the committee position quick enough to avoid permanent brand damage so it’s much easier to just dump the job and take up talk radio where people can’t see your face when you lie.

The fact that he’s bailing in 2014 instead of 2015 highlights his treasonous attitude toward conservatives. There is NO way he does not realize this is good for the dumbocraps.

He best pick a different state to retire to. California sounds more his speed.

Diluculo on March 28, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I prefer listening to road noise than most talk radio, anyway. It’s not what it used to be. And savage is nothing but a wailing whacko.

HiJack on March 28, 2014 at 3:47 PM

He’s a punk who I liked at first until I could see he was lying through his #Benghazi teeth. Back-peddled and parsed phrases to the point you couldn’t distinguish him from a liberal.

HopeHeFails on March 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I prefer listening to road noise than most talk radio, anyway.

HiJack on March 28, 2014 at 3:47 PM

My gripe with talk radio is that it’s become ad radio.

PersonFromPorlock on March 28, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I for one will miss him. Oh yea and that Kate Upton chick.

Scoreboard44 on March 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I miss Kate, also. And she misses me, of that you can be sure.

Jaibones on March 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM