Video: MN families claim Dayton told them to buy pot on the street

posted at 8:41 am on March 27, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Two weeks ago, the same group of mothers sang Governor Mark Dayton’s praises for having an open conversation about medicinal marijuana, as their sick children arguably could benefit from it. Dayton eventually decided to oppose an effort in the legislature to legalize medicinal use and sale of marijuana, but the Democrat offered a solution to the moms. According to their press conference yesterday, it was to find a local pusher.

Needless to say, the moms are no longer singing Dayton’s praises:

These parents had picketed outside the governor’s residence two weeks ago, and were unexpectedly invited inside. There, they told the governor their stories. They say they were shocked when the governor suggested they can buy pot illegally on the street, or in another state, to treat their children.

“That’s absurd,” said Jessica Hauser of Woodbury, whose her 2-year-old son has intractable epilepsy. “And to have the top official in Minnesota suggest that to my face when I am looking for compassion and a thoughtful solution. It’s just completely offensive.”

The marijuana controversy is bubbling just below the surface at the Capitol, where supporters say there are enough votes in the House and Senate to pass it. But frustrated lawmakers carrying the bill believe it faces a veto from Dayton.

The governor does not deny he told at least one of the parents to buy illegal pot off the street. However, he said in a statement Wednesday that he does not advocate breaking the law.

“But as a father, I understand parents who would do anything possible to help their children,” the statement said.

Golly, if only a father had a way to allow those moms to buy marijuana safely and legally! Like, say, if that father was a governor of a state in which his party controlled both chambers of a legislature sympathetic to legalization …

No matter how one falls on legalizing use of marijuana for any purpose, Dayton’s response is sheer nonsense. As a father, Dayton feels compassion, but as a governor Dayton apparently admits that marijuana might be useful and at the same time wants moms to risk jail and violence to get it. Er, what? Had Dayton told them that he was convinced marijuana had no medical value and that they shouldn’t give it to their children at all — a supportable position — then that would at least be defensible. Dayton wants it both ways, though, and in the process manages to get it wrong in every direction.

Contrast this with Chris Christie in New Jersey, who knows how to stay on message. Christie allowed for medicinal use in the state, but has drawn a firm line on further legalization:

During Gov. Chris Christie’s “Ask the Governor” program on New Jersey radio station WKXW-FM 101.5, he was asked by a caller whether the governor would consider legalizing marijuana to bring more tax revenue into the state.

“Mike, I love you, baby, but it ain’t happenin’, not while I’m governor,” Christie said to the caller.

Christie said that he understood the argument for more revenue, but said that it was wasn’t an “even exchange.”

“I don’t believe that legalizing an illegal drug for purposes of governmental profit is something that we should be doing. I believe that this is a gateway drug into other more serious drugs, I think it sends a wrong message to our kids and I don’t think it makes anybody a better or more productive person,” he said.

Will Dayton’s fumble provide an opening to legalization? It’s tough to say; legislators think they have the votes for a “strongly bipartisan” approval, but probably not enough to overcome a Dayton veto. If the state GOP were better organized, this episode would put a dent in Dayton’s 2014 re-election hopes, but it’s not so it won’t … unfortunately for those of us who live in Minnesota.

Comments

So the top Minnesota officer in charge of enforcing the state’s laws is encouraging illegal activity. Wait, he’s a Democrat? Color me shocked, shocked I say. If only he had a way of changing the law, say if his party controlled the state legislature.

Oh wait. It’s almost as if Fascist-Democrats have no respect for following the law when it suits their purpose.

rbj on March 27, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I wonder what Dayton would suggest those mothers do on the street if they couldn’t afford to buy illegal pot.

Seriously though, to have a governor in his office to even suggest illegal activity is offensive.

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Man Oh Man, flipity floppity or what?!?! Y’all up there do things differently, I’ll give you that.

Bmore on March 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM

He’s a Dim!?!? Lolz! People are strange.

Bmore on March 27, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Bmore on March 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM

They must be holding out on the rest of us. Given the wack-a-doodle liberalism, the weather, lizard people, and all the rest of MN nonsense, there has to be something keeping sane people from getting the hell out of the “Land of 100,000 Loons”

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Living in Colorado I am sick of stories about pot. ENOUGH PLEASE

KBird on March 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Lolz! Besides, Bishop will never read this. He’d just blame WI. ; )

Bmore on March 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Politicians don’t have the courage to do the right thing regarding pot.

mazer9 on March 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Politicians don’t have the courage to do the right thing regarding pot.

mazer9 on March 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM

“The right thing”? Like social justice, hope and change, and level the playing field? That is, a platitude without real definition?

rhombus on March 27, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Politicians don’t have the courage to do the right thing regarding pot.

mazer9 on March 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM

The “right thing” is rarely as clear cut as you suggest. Let me guess, your a stoner right? When it comes to pot there is no one no-kidding right thing to do. The anti-pot advocates have a legitimate and valid position just like the potheads.

Dayton is a coward in not staking out HIS position and then defending it.

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Bmore on March 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM

It’s an interesting place to live that’s for sure.

gophergirl on March 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I’m imagining the fun Bishop would have with this thread.

Geez I miss that dude. :-(

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM

What’s the big deal? Didn’t Justice Kagan just advise businesses to violate the ubummacare law and pay the fine if they didn’t like the law? Pens, Phones, and Drones!!

texacalirose on March 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Governor Mark Dayton, formerly Senator Chicken?

Posted on 10/12/2004 1:28:30 PM by wallcrawlr

WASHINGTON– Sen. Mark Dayton said Tuesday he is closing his Washington office because of a classified intelligence report which made him fear for the safety of his staff.

Dayton, D-Minn., said the office will be closed while Congress is in recess through Election Day, with his staff working out of his Minnesota office and in Senate space off Capitol Hill.

“I take this step out of extreme, but necessary, precaution to protect the lives and safety of my Senate staff and my Minnesota constituents, who might otherwise be visiting my Senate office in the next three weeks,” he said on a call with reporters.

“I feel compelled to do so because I will not be here in Washington to share what I consider to be an unacceptably greater risk to their safety,” he said.

Ward Cleaver on March 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2014 at 8:52 AM

He’s just following the lead of his hero “The Won”. You know “The Won” in the Oval Office.

Oldnuke on March 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM

In other words, what you were looking for was something to make you feel good. Why do I get the feeling that any answer other than “Sure, I’ll legalize pot!” would have triggered this reaction from her?

(But, maybe I took that the wrong way.)

GWB on March 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM

The “gateway drug” argument has to be one of the stupidest arguments made for controlling a substance. Marijuana is a gateway in that if you are willing to break the law to use it, then you are more likely willing to break the law to utilize other substances as well. There is not magical property in marijuana that drives people who use it to use other drugs as well.

Do we really want to elect someone president that has this kind or moronic belief?

paulsur on March 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Living in Colorado I am sick of stories about pot. ENOUGH PLEASE

KBird on March 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Sorry…you broke it, you bought it…

Ricard on March 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Sounds like The Guv got a bad baggie off the street in front of the Manse. The ‘stuff’ was probably laced with chemical hubris…

vnvet on March 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM

It’s. The. Law. Go ahead and break it, all the kids are doing it!

DublOh7 on March 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Jesse Ventura thinks Dayton has gone off the deep end. I don’t know how the heck we keep electing people like this in Minnesota.

Mr. D on March 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Governor Marty Seifert.

Hat Trick on March 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Anyone who has lived in Minnesota for a while knows that Dayton has had plenty of experience with mind-altering substances, both prescribed and non-prescribed. The truth be told, he’s something of an affirmative action placement for the mentally ill. That and the fact that he has one of the most famous business names in Minnesota. Probably the only one who could have beaten him is someone named Mark Target, or possibly Mark 3M.

SacredFire on March 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Why are the same people who demonize tobacco and anybody who has anything to do with tobacco (connections with any tobacco interest was an early way to alinsky early global warming scientists) embracing the marijuana craze?

Viator on March 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM

…B I S H O P…!!!

KOOLAID2 on March 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Jesus: I tell you, as long as heaven and earth last, not one small mark or part of a word will pass away of the Law.

Obama and his minions: Laws? You want to see our laws? I don’t need no stinkin’ LAWS!

LashRambo on March 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Republicans should be in favor of weed on libertarian grounds. The best libertarian arguments for pot legalization are in Thomas’ dissent in Gonzales v Raich.

ShadrachSmith on March 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Politicians don’t have the courage to do the right thing regarding pot.

mazer9 on March 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM

What courage? Pot is being sold as a 10th amendment issue, don’t be surprised when states say no to legality.

nobar on March 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM

The “right thing” is rarely as clear cut as you suggest. Let me guess, your a stoner soda drinker right? When it comes to pot soda there is no one no-kidding right thing to do. The anti-pot anti-soda advocates have a legitimate and valid position just like the potheads soda drinkers.

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM

It’s amazing how the concept of liberty only applies to certain things with some people.

VinceOfDoom on March 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Imagine the MSM outrage if a pro-life Governor had told a woman not to worry about abortion being outlawed, because she could always find a back-alley abortionist if she really needed one. Coverage would be wall-to-wall until he resigned in disgrace.

TheYeomanFarmer on March 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Dayton is a coward in not staking out HIS position and then defending it.

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Why is it that anyone that smokes pot or supports the legalization of it is either a “pot head” or “stoner”?

Is everyone that drinks alcohol a “boozer” or “drunk”?

It is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to call names and stigmatize the use of the drug even further.

More “reefer madness” from the moralists who know which drugs are good for us and which ones are bad.

mazer9 on March 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM

VinceOfDoom on March 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM

You think?

mazer9 on March 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM

We’ll have legalized medical marijuana before we can buy off sale beer on Sunday…mark it down.

Buck_Nekkid on March 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Why are so many people confused between medicinal CBD and THC enhanced pot?

The former is used to treat these specific ailments for seizures, the latter is the common street variety. The former has very little THC. There are hundreds of studies and specific definitions of both.

Its not only appalling the Gov is recommending breaking the law, its more appalling he is recommending THC pot to treat something that needs a high CBD concentration.

Though, the confusion is carried over to Ed.

Odie1941 on March 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Mark Dayton should be in a mental institution or at the very least an outpatient mental health program and not in the Governor’s office.

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Mr. D on March 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Those long cold winters kill off a lot of brain cells and open the victim to socialist propaganda.

slickwillie2001 on March 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I believe that [marijuana] is a gateway drug into other more serious drugs …

Hazeldon, which is rightly famous for treating addiction, says that the real “gateway drug” is tobacco and they ban it for the people under their care. Their view is that marijuana is just another step down the path into major addictive behavior.

nerdbert on March 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I’m starting to lose faith in Republicans and the Conservative party when they get this wrong again, and again, and again, and again. If they get this wrong, what else are they getting wrong?

No matter what the government of your state does, they won’t be making Marijuana legal. It will still be illegal at the federal level. Which means it’s illegal.

Why do I keep seeing this lie, even on conservative websites? I expect such ignorance in the MSM where it’s a group of Democrats with bylines.

But please, not here.

Baggi on March 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I don’t know about those who support legalization. I mean, MKH isn’t a pot head or a stoner.

However, users? Because they are.

It’s nothing like Alchohol at all. Alcohol is a food your body digests and cleans using the liver and kidneys. In small amounts, it’s a food that is good for you and adds to your health.

Marijuana is smoked for the high that THC gives. There is no other reason to be smoking it except to be stoned. Maybe you want to be stoned to get over a mental disorder, or to forget about the pain you’re in, or for a million other reasons, but the purpose is to be stoned. Thus, stoner.

Baggi on March 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Baggi on March 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM

So it has NO effect for nausea, or appetite, or beneficial effect to promote eating for cancer patients who are losing weight?

Are you actually stating the “munchies” don’t exist?

I’d really like to see your scientific study showing that… oh wait, you’ve decided there can’t be scientific studies because it’s a scarier drug than any we have on the market.. like opiate-based painkillers.

Might the “recreational usage” laws cause issues? Yes, that’s entirely possible. I doubt the problems will be worse than the SWAT team anti-drug crowd going after stoners; but that’s my guess, and I could be wrong.

But to claim someone wasting away with cancer should simply avoid something known to boost their appetite and eating while also reducing pain because recreational use could be bad seems questionable.

I support medicinal morphine… is the claim that pot is a more hazardous drug than morphine?

I don’t support recreational morphine, and I’m not support morphine-using drivers.

And I’d love to see some studies to find out if any other useful benefits might come out of marijuana… assuming someone could find it less problematic a drug than Opium (opiate-based painkillers are used, and have had numerous tests).

And finally no. I personally don’t use marijuana. I don’t have the medical issues listed, and even in CO I don’t have any real desire to use pot. I DO know a handful of people with cancer who use for medicinal reasons.

I also don’t recreationally use morphine; but I don’t want that banned from all usage.

I guess the 50-60 year-olds I know with cancer are only using “to get high” and for no other reason?

Thanks for your medical advice… can I see your qualifications so I know where to place it compared to the doctors for my friends who have stated otherwise?

And no, I’m not on the loonie “natural cure” bandwagon (my term) convinced it cures everything from the common cold to cancer to AIDS. But I’d be curious if it might have medicinal values aside from pain reduction, nausea reduction, and appetite increases that could be of value in some cases.

I’d like more science in my science. Not less.

Feel free to call me whatever names you require to get back to the safe place where you’re certain you’re right and anyone wanting actual scientific data is silly and wrong.

And explain why morphine is no biggie, but pot is truly and deeeply horrifying.

gekkobear on March 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

And explain why morphine is no biggie, but pot is truly and deeeply horrifying.

gekkobear on March 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Uh, morphine is a highly regulated Schedule II narcotic with horrible potential for abuse and addiction.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Are you actually stating the “munchies” don’t exist?

Reading comprehension is your friend. I wrote;

Let’s see. Would, to get rid of nausea fit into the line “a million other reasons”? Why yes, it would!

Are there other drugs that get rid of nausea that don’t get you stoned? Why yes, there is!

Are there other drugs for appetite that don’t get you stoned? Why yes, there is!

You see, the point to use Marijuana for these things is because Marijuana also gets you stoned. Thus, stoner.

It’s not super complicated, dude.

Baggi on March 27, 2014 at 9:04 PM