Video: Metaphor of the day

posted at 7:21 pm on March 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a viral smash via the Blaze that doubles as a metaphor for lefty triumphalism over ObamaCare’s new “enrollment” numbers. They’ve been trying to get past criticism of the law for months; now they’ve finally got the burst of momentum they need to sail by, replete with a ceremonial flipping of the bird at their opponents. It’s open roads and easy riding from here on out. Isn’t it?

Treat this as an open thread if you like. I wanted to do a post on today’s alarming news on U.S. autism rates from the CDC but I know virtually nothing about the condition beyond the fact that no fewer than four people in my smallish circle of friends either have it themselves or have children who do. I figured I’d limit my parade of ignorance to politics and leave the thread on something like this to those who know what they’re talking about. What America really needs to process this sensitive subject is a Voxsplainer; too bad those guys are busy reminding people that the country can always just print a few trillion dollars to solve its problems if need be.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nothing happens till 1:10

You’re welcome.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Oh, good grief. Pull to the left and let the idiot go by, will you? If someone is being a jerk on the road, why would you make an effort not to get out of his way? A pox on both their vehicles.

Socratease on March 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I feel the guys pain. I hate idiots driving slow in the PASSING lane. Most people these days don’t even know the left lane is for passing. PASS or get the hell out of the way!

Vigilante on March 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Er, “pull to the right”.

Socratease on March 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

ℙ̢̻͙̹̪͓̝͕̓͌̆͊̔͗̽͘̕͜͝ͅʊ̮͈̜̤̦̖͔̦͙͖͊̀͑̍̏̎̍̀́̆ґ̧̺͙̝̣̣̼͚̟̟̏͋̾̈́̅͆͛̀̾̚ℯ̢̡̻̺̫̺̩̣͖͚̅̈́̾̓̐͐̿̽̈͝ ̢̫̹̣̘̮͉̯̳͕̌̀̾̇́́͗̐͠͝ϟ̞̹̜̣̝͖̲̠͇̠͛̈͛̄̑̈́̆̐͠͝¢̡̧̛̦̙̝̲͓̝͈̼̋͂̈́͒͛̓͆̾̔н̡̥̰̜͖̯̮͇̺̠͊͑̒͗́̍́̊̋̂α̡̜͍͉͓̯͔̜̼̙̇̈́́̿̂̔̏͂͘͝ⅾ̧̦̞̤͔̱̟̦͚͓̉́̈͛͒͐̀̒̾̃ε̡̙̥̳̤͈̰͈͚͔̽́̒͗̌͒́̒̏̕ᾔ̧͎̹̖͍͓̖̳͍̤̇͂͊̃̐̿̇̕̚͝ḟ̡̦͕̝̘͙͙͚̙̝̎̓̄͆́̉́̎̄̑я̡͖̞̟̻̙͍͚̬̥̑́͊̒̀͛́̓̓͠ℯ̛̖͚̩̳̯͔͕̠͚̃̐̊̓̋͑͆̚͜͝ü̱̣̱̣̬̺̟̥̻͙̊̉̐̑͌̃̾͘͝͝ḓ̨̭̠̟̰̣̟̱̣͋̓̐̀̓͆̏̓̾̓͜ℯ̞̙̼̫͓͚̠̖̖͍̐̂͆̏͑̔̃͆̓̕

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Socratease on March 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

One sin is much worse than the other. I get annoyed by people going slow in front of me, but usually “slow” is the speed limit so I hurl my mental frustrations at the government instead of the driver.

Nessuno on March 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

The woman filming is currently in the left lane because she is overtaking another vehicle in the right lane. If I am doing a reasonable speed and am passing a slower vehicle in the right lane, then I am not going to pull right and slow down just so some a**hole behind me can do what *he* thinks is the proper speed. Cool your jets, jerk, and wait til I’ve passed and then I get in the right lane so you can go try to get pulled over by the cops.

quikstrike98 on March 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

What in the unholy name of Unicode was that?

Dirt McGirt on March 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Pull out that iPhone and start filming while driving. Send a text message or two while doing it too.

Yeah !!!

Ruckus_Tom on March 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I hope she’s arrested for filming while driving.

portlandon on March 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Vigilante on March 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

That’s New Jersey in a nutshell.

JetBoy on March 27, 2014 at 7:39 PM

The tailgater is a total jerk … and, clearly, he sucks at driving. How do you lose control of a vehicle like that just going 60?? He’s lucky he didn’t slam into oncoming traffic in the other lanes and get a whole bunch of people killed – which is what BarkyCare would do. So, the metaphor is okay but not nearly complete.

I can’t stand tailgaters. But, I abhor BarkyCare and every one and every thing associated with it. Tailgaters deserve to get stuck in eternal traffic while BarkyCare supporters deserve to burn in hell.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Try driving in Wisconsin. People like to drive next to each other for MILES.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Florida?

portlandon on March 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

What in the unholy name of Unicode was that?

Dirt McGirt on March 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Heh.

Moscow’s Red Square in the background?

ShainS on March 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Both drivers are jerks. On balance I feel that the one filming is slightly worse.

Dukeboy01 on March 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM

So what? How is moving over to the right and letting the idiot pass not the right thing to do in that situation?

And we’re not even mentioning the fact she’s driving while filming the scene with her cell phone.

Pincher Martin on March 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I hate people who crawl by a vehicle when passing them. get past and get clear, hanging for a mile beside them is stupid.
not as stupid as the idiot who decided to not unass the area himself and crossed a few lanes though.

the few times I have passed someone on right I nailed it and got past them asap.

dmacleo on March 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Exactly. But he got what was coming to him. She didn’t.

Pincher Martin on March 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I don’t see her having enough time to pull over. There are clearly multiple vehicles she is passing in the right lane and as soon as she gets a *SAFE* distance in front of them, Mr. Speedracer is swerving into the right lane, and any attempt by her to pull to the right would result in an accident. How about having some frigging patience?

quikstrike98 on March 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM

What prompted the woman to start filming in the first place?

Having made the mistake of trying to pull to the right to allow someone to pass who was making a protological examination of my exhaust pipe, only to get hit by the guy as he tried to do the same thing, if someone is that close to me I stay right in the lane I am in and begin slowing down.

turfmann on March 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM

60 in the left lane?

Ben Hur on March 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM

So in AP’s analogy that is Frau Sebelius driving the Obamacare truck?

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Florida?

portlandon on March 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Could just as easily be Texas. We have plenty of punks like that.

TX-eye on March 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM

She was doing 60 in the left lane but we don’t know what the posted speed limit is, do we now?

quikstrike98 on March 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Assuming the truck driver is in compliance with the law:
States that Require Only One Plate
As of September 2009, the following states require a license plate only on the rear bumper: Michigan, Kansas, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Delaware.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM

i am happy to “voxplain” the disorders of the autism spectrum for those who should so desire. i was quite perturbed to discover that there are several regular posters here who have apparently — and, disturbingly, publically — self-diagnosed asperger syndrome — in their thirties, *ludicrously* — and if nothing else, it would at least do such malingerers good to be exposed to the typical progression of it and other spectrum-related disorders.

also: best road-rage video ever.

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I will usually do 5 over the limit, and put it in cruise control, staying in the right lane unless I run into vehicles ahead of me that are slower, when I get in the left lane to pass, at 5 mph over the speed limit. If that’s too slow for you, too f***ing bad. Stay off my rear, or I’ll do to you what I did to a woman tailgating me in Illinois one day, tap my brakes and send your sorry, over-aggressive ass skittering all over the road. And then I’ll laugh. Just like I did at her.

quikstrike98 on March 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Florida. Full story at the youtube page.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM

After many years on the road, I have noticed that idiots drive slower than me and maniacs drive faster.

WestTexasBirdDog on March 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Appeals court upholds new Texas abortion rules

A federal appeals court’s decision Thursday upholding tough new abortion restrictions in Texas that a lower court had struck down increases the chance that the issue is headed to the Supreme Court.

A three-judge panel of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the state did not violate the Constitution by requiring that abortion doctors have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals and restricting the availability of abortion-inducing drugs.

kcewa on March 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM

That’s what I saw also. As for driving 60, she wasn’t on the interstate, just a fourlane with intersections, how fast should she be going?

lowandslow on March 27, 2014 at 7:52 PM

lowandslow on March 27, 2014 at 7:52 PM

“95 … at least!” — The Dishonorable Jon Corzine

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Pet cats infect humans with TB for first time

In the first ever recorded cat-to-human transmission, two people in England have contracted tuberculosis from pet cats thought to have ventured into badger setts

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Sorry for driving so closely in front of you.

rogerb on March 27, 2014 at 7:55 PM

TWIT needs these jerks .

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Nice! and from the “out of my bedroom!” crowd.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:55 PM

The guy in the truck is a jerk here, but I have to wonder if he wouldn’t have just passed the lady and kept going if she hadn’t been holding up her cellphone recording him. He just blew by without incident at first. I bet he would have kept going had he not noticed the phone.

The use of the phone while driving would have gotten the lady a hefty ticket to go along with her schadenfreude in a lot of states. She’s just as lucky as the dumbass in the truck that she didn’t get someone hurt or killed.

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

BTW, this really should’ve been titled “feel good story of the day”.

rogerb on March 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Could just as easily be Texas. We have plenty of punks like that.

TX-eye on March 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Most of whom have Oklahoma plates on their cars. We’re talking about the fool tooling along in the left lane like he has no particular place to go and all damn day to get there, right?

Grammar Nazi on March 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Scientists say they have new evidence that autism begins in the womb.

US scientists analysed post-mortem brain tissue of 22 children with and without autism, all between two and 15 years of age.

They used genetic markers to look at how the outermost part of the brain, the cortex, wired up and formed layers.

Abnormalities were found in 90% of the children with autism compared with only about 10% of children without.

The changes were dotted about in brain regions involved in social and emotional communication, and language, long before birth, they say

kcewa on March 27, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Try driving in Wisconsin. People like to drive next to each other for MILES.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I spent a month in WI last summer, and I noticed that not only are the speed limits lower there, but the people *seem* to drive slower and are hesitant to pass a vehicle they’re riding next to. Lovely state otherwise.

IF I WERE PRESIDENT, as Cody Canada once sang, no more than two axles would be allowed in the left-hand lane and four-figure tickets would be automatic for people in the left lane being trailed by more than one car if they’re not consistently overtaking others. This clip was funny, but as much time as I spend behind people driving at or below limit in the left-lane, I can atest that it will induce rage if you spend enough time in a car.

King B on March 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Ok, I give up. What is this thread about?

WhatSlushfund on March 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

A quick internet search shows that texting while driving in Florida is illegal…would assume that would also count for filming? So if they went back and charged this guy (with reckless driving I guess?) shouldn’t they also charge her?

She had plenty of time to get over after passing that second truck, especially knowing the guy behind her was driving the way he was. Her defense was that she was turning up ahead at some point so she didn’t move? Not buying it, she just wanted to stay there to get a reaction out of the guy.

nextgen_repub on March 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

not only that, but according to her, she was turning left in a quarter of a mile after the incident — certainly plausible given that she does appear to enter a left turn lane in the very end of the video — and the roads were wet from a recent rain — also plausible given the truck driver’s otherwise inexplicable loss of control following a relatively minor mid-speed swerve.

somehow, after having been here for a couple of months, i’m not surprised to see so many of the charming buffoons who post here actually blaming the female driver for driving mostly safely (perhaps recording the invident was unadvisable, but i’m selfishly glad she did for my pleasure…) and indulging in a bit of vindictive schadenfreude that any other human would as well have experienced.

especially delectable is the self-exposure of soi-disant several christian types as having anointed themselves with dominion over all the roads in the land. i can just hear it now: “g-bus sez ah gahtz a raht tah drahv lahk an ah-yiss in mah truck, durn it woman!

wwjd? tell the b!tch to pass or pull over, naturally. charming religion you have there, blink.

what a coincidence !!!! me too !!

best comment on the thread, hands down.

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

What is this thread about?

WhatSlushfund on March 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM

It’s a thread about …….nothing :O

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Thumbs Down Mr. President!

Nearly six in ten Americans now disapprove of President Obama’s job performance, with just 41 percent giving him a thumbs-up. That’s the top line result of a new Associated Press national poll, representing Obama’s worst performance in the history of the survey. Obama didn’t fare any better on most issues, earning poor marks on his handling of the economy (39/59), the federal budget (36/63), immigration (38/61), and foreign affairs (40/58). The survey reveals a sharp deterioration in the president’s personal favorability, which dropped to (42/51). Bizarrely, the AP appears to not have asked any questions about Obamacare, despite any number of news hooks — including the impending (but extended) enrollment deadline……….(more at the link)

Rovin on March 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM

you all who want to criticize the person who filmed this video need to read the story at the blaze before you criticize her. she explains more than you see in the video.

anyway, great video. i love when karma happens so quickly. XD

Sachiko on March 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Ah, ok, I think I get it now. (Typed too fast. Sorry.) Libs flipping us off then crashing over the enrollment numbers.

The ACA is a disaster. They can flip us off all they want. It’s doomed.

WhatSlushfund on March 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM

The lady recording the incident is Sarah Palin.
The jerk in the truck is Leland Yee ;-)

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Bless your pitiful unregenerate heart bigot. :(

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Pet cats infect humans with TB for first time

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Warn your cats not to venture into badger setts.

The gene pool needs more chlorine.

green bean on March 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

quikstrike98 on March 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Somebody tweet Neil DeGrasse Tyson, we found the center of the universe!

Why not be courteous and share the road? Part of that is “slower traffic keep right”.

aawlberninF350 on March 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM

IF I WERE PRESIDENT

King B on March 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I feel your pain. Run. You’d have my vote! :)

CTSherman on March 27, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Schadenfreude, pure!!!

Also, obama lied about his meeting with the pope, what was discussed. There is gambling going on.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM

ℙ̢̻͙̹̪͓̝͕̓͌̆͊̔͗̽͘̕͜͝ͅʊ̮͈̜̤̦̖͔̦͙͖͊̀͑̍̏̎̍̀́̆ґ̧̺͙̝̣̣̼͚̟̟̏͋̾̈́̅͆͛̀̾̚ℯ̢̡̻̺̫̺̩̣͖͚̅̈́̾̓̐͐̿̽̈͝ ̢̫̹̣̘̮͉̯̳͕̌̀̾̇́́͗̐͠͝ϟ̞̹̜̣̝͖̲̠͇̠͛̈͛̄̑̈́̆̐͠͝¢̡̧̛̦̙̝̲͓̝͈̼̋͂̈́͒͛̓͆̾̔н̡̥̰̜͖̯̮͇̺̠͊͑̒͗́̍́̊̋̂α̡̜͍͉͓̯͔̜̼̙̇̈́́̿̂̔̏͂͘͝ⅾ̧̦̞̤͔̱̟̦͚͓̉́̈͛͒͐̀̒̾̃ε̡̙̥̳̤͈̰͈͚͔̽́̒͗̌͒́̒̏̕ᾔ̧͎̹̖͍͓̖̳͍̤̇͂͊̃̐̿̇̕̚͝ḟ̡̦͕̝̘͙͙͚̙̝̎̓̄͆́̉́̎̄̑я̡͖̞̟̻̙͍͚̬̥̑́͊̒̀͛́̓̓͠ℯ̛̖͚̩̳̯͔͕̠͚̃̐̊̓̋͑͆̚͜͝ü̱̣̱̣̬̺̟̥̻͙̊̉̐̑͌̃̾͘͝͝ḓ̨̭̠̟̰̣̟̱̣͋̓̐̀̓͆̏̓̾̓͜ℯ̞̙̼̫͓͚̠̖̖͍̐̂͆̏͑̔̃͆̓̕

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Quotes nice.

Bmore on March 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM

anyway, great video. i love when karma happens so quickly. XD

Sachiko on March 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I read it and her story on the Youtube page. I’m more than happy to still point out the fact that she was also in the wrong. In fact, the road conditions she describes make her recording the incident even more dangerous.

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Scientists say they have new evidence that autism begins in the womb.

kcewa on March 27, 2014 at 7:59 PM

that’s a great a paper you linked about — its not often researchers have the opportunity to study so directly the neurological defects in still-developing children (who, tragically, must obviously pass away before having a chance to live their lives to the fullest to be able to generously offer science the unmatched opportunity to study the course of human autistic neurodevelopment).

that being said, it’s been known for several years — and shown explicitly in many of the better-known rodent models of the disease — that certain identified prenatal neurodevelopmetnal and epigenetic factors are sufficient (and possibly necessary) for the induction of the developmental pathology.

one hears bandied about every so often — tho not as popularly as the “vaccinatory hypothesis” — the idea that a distant mother’s lack of inculcation of proper socioemotional behaviours in her offspring can be responsible for the oxytocin deficiencies implicated in autistic neurodevelopment. unfortunately for this bizarre conspiracy, the oxytocin critical period is known to be prenatal.

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM

The worst drivers in Florida I have ever come across are from Tampa. They have a 6 lane that goes right threw the city which they have learned to drive crazy on. They both were punks.

KMav on March 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Ok, I give up. What is this thread about?

WhatSlushfund on March 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Autistic truck drivers?

Fallon on March 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM

The Pope hates that there are poor in the inner cities, really.

Since they called Paul Ryan a racist, they better call the Pope one too.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Man, I miss Florida. I will always consider that my home state. (Much to the chagrin of people that were born there.) I’ve got to move back. Making a mental note.

WhatSlushfund on March 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM

King B on March 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I’d go a bit farther. You don’t enter the left lane except to pass period, and fines for passing on the right are double whatever four figure amount you had in mind.

Oh, and a license would cost $2500 and require more than getting lucky while parallel parking to obtain.

rogerb on March 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Thanks for the info in your post!

kcewa on March 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM

aawlberninF350 on March 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM

The biggest part of sharing the road is safety.
Tailgating is a risk increasing endeavor.
If I had the motivation to carry it out I would make a bumper sticker that shows that the closer a car is behind me the larger the gap I hold of the vehicles in front of me.
As distance approaches 0 behind distance approaches infinity in front.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM

As evidenced by the recording she had absolutely no difficulty maintaining situational awareness or control of her vehicle. Please explain how she was a danger to anyone since that is proven not just by the pre crash scenes, but the fact that she was able to avoid even the maniac on the road.
Just because you personally are incapable of chewing gum and walking does not mean everyone else is equally inept at living as you.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Bumper sticker idea.

you 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 me 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next car
you 1 2 3 me 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 next car
you 1 me 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 next car
BACK OFF or it will be a LONG RIDE.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Since when does the “passing lane” rule apply to non-expressways? It’s not safe to go barreling around in the left lane when there are regular intersections on the particular road!

Kensington on March 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

It looks like when the truck finally passes on the right, she speeds up to stay even with it. If that’s right, then she at least partially provoked the incident by practically daring the truck driver to go around her.

But I have to wonder how accurate any of our impressions are of this from the short video filmed, without a lot of context.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I miss those Johnny Drove Too Fast and Got Crushed by a Train films they show you in high school.

I’m getting flashbacks from these posts. Just laugh. We all know two idiots don’t make a right.

green bean on March 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM

what a coincidence !!!! me too !!

best comment on the thread, hands down.

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

That’s a George Carlin bit.

John the Libertarian on March 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Yeah, both jerks. But it comes as no surprise to me that she turns out to be a woman. In my experience you don’t often see men behaving this way to other men in traffic. Just females. Go figure.

surrounded on March 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM

As distance approaches 0 behind distance approaches infinity in front.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I’m always sort of surprised that tailgaters can’t figure out that the closer they get the more distance I have to leave ahead of my car to account for the variables they’ve added if something suddenly happens in front of us.

It’s amazing how little thought people put into the act of driving.

rogerb on March 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM

According to the link, the roads were wet. Amazing how much that bit of context changes the picture.

That completely explains why she was driving slow, and why the truck that passed her spun out. It seems every time it rains, I pass at least one accident on the road because people assume they can drive at the same speed when it’s pouring.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM

It’s amazing how little thought people put into the act of driving.

rogerb on March 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM

One of the biggest annoyances when driving is when I try to leave a safe distance in front of me, in case the driver slams on the brakes when I’m not expecting it, and invariably other drivers see that as an invitation to jump in front of me, which leaves me tailgating again.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Usually people move over for 250s

gxbhkt on March 27, 2014 at 8:50 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Yeah, I hear that all the time.

spinach.chin on March 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Gotta anticipate them. Either close the gap temporarily or open up as they prepare to merge. It depends on circumstances which one I do. People who are trying to force their way into merge for something they should have done half a mile back such as an exit that is always packed, I close the gap. People who are just in a bad situation, such as just entered traffic behind a semi I let in front of me.
I do not reward the a$$holes, make them pay, that way they might think twice about their bad behavior again.
If my choice is to cut someone off or skip my exit, I skip the exit and go back. My mistakes should not cost others.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Where’s ‘twerp at, when you need her ?

listens2glenn on March 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Florida. Full story at the youtube page.

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM

If that was Florida, I am surprised. my few months living there showed some of the most considerate drivers I have experienced in any of the many states I have lived in. Are you stuck on a side street in rush hour traffic, someone ALWAYS is willing to let you enter traffic. Blinkers actually are not messengers telling people to close the gap and block you.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Ok, I give up. What is this thread about?

WhatSlushfund on March 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM

This was declared an Open Thread.
Therefore, anything goes.

pambi on March 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Using a cellphone to record another driver while driving in wet conditions at speeds that are more than capable of killing people is dangerous and stupid. The fact that she was fortunate enough to avoid an accident doesn’t make it any safer or more intelligent.

If you can’t see that what she did was just as ill-advised and dangerous as what the other driver was doing, I really don’t think ineptitude of others is something on which you should be commenting.

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM

As I pointed out. She had total situational awareness and total control of the vehicle. Show how she was a danger to anyone.

Just because you do not have the brain power to do something at all does not mean other people are incapable of doing it safely.

So again, show me where she posed a danger to anyone. Her vehicle swerving, her vehicle out of control, her being unaware of what was happening around her. Then you have a leg to stand on, I guess as long as you are not also chewing gum…

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Somebody tweet Neil DeGrasse Tyson, we found the center of the universe!

aawlberninF350 on March 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I do share the road, and I keep right until I come up on traffic moving slower than me. At which time I get left to pass them. At a steady, and still illegal, 5 MPH above the speed limit. And if you don’t like how fast I’m passing them, tough sh!t, you can wait til I pass them and get to the right again. Just who is the center of the universe again?

quikstrike98 on March 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I’m not going to get pulled over for excessive speeding just because you have an overriding impulse to do so. Wait til I’m done passing, then drive as f**kingly stupid as you want–so long as your stupidity doesn’t get me killed.

quikstrike98 on March 27, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Oh, now how on earth did you do that?

Jaibones on March 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM

AScott on March 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Think about it this way. Before the event happened, what would have been the smart, safe thing to do?

Using a cellphone while driving is dangerous to begin with. It is even more so when the road is wet, which can cause crashes even for drivers who are not multi-tasking. Hindsight says, yeah, she pulled it off, so she’s fine. But foresight says you shouldn’t even try it.

Cheshire_Kat on March 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I wonder what he had in the covered bed of that truck. It was obviously a very heavy load as when the truck was in motion sideways, the back took over the lead. Jerk. Yeah, she could have moved over and let him pass and HE could have passed her on the right. And she’s an idiot for stating on her Youtube page that “she couldn’t get in the right lane.”

Marcus on March 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Yeah, I hear that all the time.

spinach.chin on March 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM

well, perhaps i didn’t put it colloquially, but there’s no need to be unkind. i’m sure you were easily able to translate yourself my phrasing of the hypothesis to “emotionally unavailable mothers make their babies autistic, and this effect is mediated biochemically by oxytocin abnormalities”.

it’s pretty clear that the majority of the posters here are fairly intelligent — this is a mildy libertarian-leaning conservative site, after all — and i don’t feel the need to rebate the precision of my language in acquiescence to the prevailing norms of vernacular phraseology.

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Jaibones on March 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Raw Talent. The way the Country will eventually thrive once again. Innovation. Not because we are instructed to, but because we choose to.

Bmore on March 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM

1) Start your trip with enough time to get to your destination on time with moderate additional delays. Your failure does not obligate others to make way for you.
2) Other people have as much right to the road as you, if they are in front of you, they have more right to be there than you do, go back to point 1 and leave earlier if that is an issue. Your failure to leave on time does not place a burden on others to make up for you.
3) Your desire to go faster does not place an obligation on another person to break the law or increase their risk of being fined by breaking the law more than they are comfortable with or to increase their own risk on the road. If you are running late, go back to item 1.
4) Sharing the road entails risk. Do not increase other people’s risk by tailgating. Your tailgating requires the person ahead to increase their safety margin in front of them to make up for the lack of safety margin to the rear.
5) If you are acting like a maniac behind someone, do not expect them to pull over to allow you to get in front of them so that you can take control of the situation and place them in greater risk. If you cannot control your animal urges you are the one that should not be on the road at all.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Oh, now how on earth did you do that?

it’s from an old, vaguely cthulu-esque meme called “zalgo the destroyer”.

you can zalgofy your own text here.

with any luck, the proprietors will disallow this old eyesore with celerity — get it out of your system while you can !

jaxisaneurophysicist on March 27, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Me? If someone wants to go around me I get over. If someone wants to change lanes in front of me I slow down and let them in. To me being a courtesy and safe driver is never escalating a problem. If someone is being a jerk, I go out of my way to not be part of the problem.

Oh, by the way…..I have cars that go really fast and a couple of motorcycles that pack a punch. I also try to be safe and courtesy when I drive them. What is so hard about being nice these days?

HonestLib on March 27, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Wrong, dweeb.

They were both driving in an unsafe manner. She admits in the The Blaze story that the guy had been following her for a full minute before she even got out her cell phone to begin recording the incident, which means she was a good two minutes (or two miles, at 60mph) away from her left-hand turn when he first got behind her. That means she should have moved her ass to the right-hand lane.

And did you hear her cackle at the end of the video?

Pincher Martin on March 27, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Cheshire_Kat on March 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Still does not ague she put anyone at risk. Just because you have a prejudice against people using phones while driving does not mean that every person who uses a phone while driving is a risk. That is your problem with people who clearly are incapable of doing so.
Each person should be able to access their risk and if they fail to access it correctly the proper time for punishment is after they fail and to equal consequences to the harm they caused.
I do not carry a cell phone just in case you think I too am prejudiced. My prejudice is towards freedom.

astonerii on March 27, 2014 at 9:35 PM