Kobe Bryant on the Trayvon Martin case: “I won’t react to something just because I’m supposed to, because I’m an African-American”

posted at 6:41 pm on March 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

Actually, my headline’s not right. It’s hard to be sure since the New Yorker piece that contains the money quote is behind a reg wall, but I don’t think he’s taking a position on the case. He’s taking a position on people who took a position on the case without having heard both sides. The reporter apparently asked him about this photo specifically:

To which Bryant replied:

“I won’t react to something just because I’m supposed to, because I’m an African-American,” he said. “That argument doesn’t make any sense to me. So we want to advance as a society and a culture, but, say, if something happens to an African-American we immediately come to his defense? Yet you want to talk about how far we’ve progressed as a society? Well, we’ve progressed as a society, then don’t jump to somebody’s defense just because they’re African-American. You sit and you listen to the facts just like you would in any other situation, right? So I won’t assert myself.”

Why would he accuse LeBron and the Heat of reacting before they’d heard all the facts? Because they reacted before they’d heard all the facts. Note the timestamp on the tweet: March 23, 2012 was less than a month after the shooting and several weeks before Zimmerman was even charged. The photo was taken well more than a year before he went to trial. To give you a sense of the climate of misinformation around the time James tweeted it, both NBC’s infamous audio edit that made Zimmerman’s 911 call sound racist and Spike Lee’s even more infamous (re)tweet that gave the wrong address for Zimmerman’s home happened during the same week. Bryant’s not saying that Zimmerman’s acquittal was the right verdict, he’s saying that it’s stupid to draw assumptions about hoodies, stereotyping, and justice until you’ve heard from both sides. Go figure that a guy who was himself once accused of a gravely serious offense is iffy about drawing conclusions of guilt based on incomplete facts. And for making this simple point, he will, of course, be destroyed online.

Via the Free Beacon, here’s a thoughtful rebuttal from a guy who’s never had a problem with leaping to conclusions in racially inflammatory criminal cases.

Comments

He has dual citizenship? Africa and America?

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

But, but, Kobe – didn’t you hear?
Trayvon Martin is a HERO because he tried to murder a “WHITE Hispanic”!

Pork-Chop on March 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Now I want a blueberry pie …mmmmm..mmm…
:O

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Whoops! Speaking out of line. Democrats! Sick him!

NWConservative on March 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Kobe is far from perfect, but my level of respect for him just skyrocketed. Thank you for saying what needed to be said. He’s more mature and rational than our President.

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Dang. Could I become a Kobe Bryant fan? He was my long-time nemesis, when I was a long-time suffering Phoenix Suns fan. #disoriented

22044 on March 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

And for making this simple point, he will, of course, be destroyed online.

or he could buy us all an expensive ring ,
and shut us up ;-)

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

It’s amazing what being a potential victim of conclusion jumping does to a person’s thought process. Remember the Bryant rape allegations from a few years ago? Now, I’m not saying they weren’t true because I wasn’t there and I have no idea what happened, but if they weren’t true, it’s not difficult to understand why he has taken this position.

xblade on March 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

the Black Mamba is super smart and super talented, and never afraid to tell it like it is

commodore on March 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

read some comments on a black news website earlier today on this. they RIPPED him.

so locked in to the liberal ideology, they are.

blatantblue on March 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

well good for him! it’s sad that he received such a backlash for his comment. all he said was “don’t automatically assume anything based on someone’s race” and people jump all over him for it??

i like the fact that in response to the backlash, he posted a pic of mlk’s “content of character” quote- that was a very good response because it makes perfect sense.

Sachiko on March 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

xblade on March 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I am reminded that the prosecutor for that case was reasonably professional and didn’t attempt to try the case in the public arena, unlike the scumhag prosecutor Angela Corey.

22044 on March 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

What is a stereotype?

One who behaves as one.

OldEnglish on March 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Kobe will now be called an Uncle Tom

The Notorious G.O.P on March 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

He will be on O’Reilly soon.

Sven on March 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

22044 on March 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

As a fellow die hard Suns fan here…no, no you can’t become a Kobe Bryant fan. Respect him for saying this? Sure. Fan? Hell no. Haha

nextgen_repub on March 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Kobe…you da man.

msupertas on March 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Is it true that Hussein and the Mooch are so mad at Kobe now ,
that they have decided never ever ever to eat another piece of Kobe beef anymore ?
They’re switching to Wagyu …..that true troll ?

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Why does Sharpton call everyone “Ahmin”?

BKeyser on March 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM

A distinction without a difference. They didn’t, and don’t, care about the facts.

Morons.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Lay a few good beats down over that Sharpton reel and you’ve got yourself the makings of a hit song.

steebo77 on March 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

nextgen_repub on March 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Ha! :)

22044 on March 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

He’s more mature and rational than our President [Precedent].

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

You can’t get the bar any lower than that. A wet turd is more mature and rational than Barky. And more talented, too.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Some people are going to have a beef with Kobe now. And I wish Free Beacon would change it’s name. I always get excited thinking it says Free Bacon. It’s always a disappointment.

Flange on March 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Why did we have to wait to hear both sides? Martin had Skittles on him which necessarily means that Zimmerman was a racist white guy out to randomly murder black people.

HidetheDecline on March 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Sorry folks, but I have no respect for Kobe as I think he is a rapist and belongs in jail.

rjoco1 on March 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM

He’s more mature and rational than our President.

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

True, but that isn’t much of a standard.

Kaffa on March 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Kudos to Kobe.

I guess he was not there in Cincinnati when they had a welcome home party for that woman who admitted to voter fraud. Sharpton was.

CW on March 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Backlash from some of the usual suspects:

Goldie Taylor @goldietaylor
Kobe could’ve just shouted out love for Trayvon’s parents, said he couldn’t imagine their loss and kept it breezy. He didn’t.

Jemele Hill ✔ @jemelehill
My issue is that Kobe reduces the Trayvon Martin outrage to blind racial solidarity, when it was about so much more than that.

rebkah howard @pink_funk
I’m annoyed (not surprised) by Kobe’s stance on Trayvon. We support Martin b/c his race predetermined his fate. Not simply b/c he was black.

Jahmaiah… @touchthaskye
I’m hoping that Kobe didn’t know anything about the Trayvon Martin case. People didn’t support Trayvon solely because he was black.

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

So how did that 50 minute meeting go between two of the biggest anti-capitalists (anti free enterprise and anti individual rights) in the world?

VorDaj on March 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Jahmaiah… @touchthaskye

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Well that’s true, the other part was they thought Zimmerman was white. Had another black killed him they wouldn’t have cared.

Flange on March 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Trayvon Martin 14:59

portlandon on March 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM

A good point. Did they change their minds/behavior after they did hear the facts? Did anyone apologize? Did they learn anything?

Uh…that would be no.

vlad martel on March 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM

IMHO, Kobe has a plus.

jukin3 on March 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Forgot progressive-fascist full blown racism on twitter in 6…5…4…

Thou shall not say anything against the plantation if black.

jukin3 on March 27, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I don’t know who this Kobe Bryant is, but he seems sensible. Of course, since I know nothing about him beyond his skin color, I am taking his advise and not coming to any firm judgment.

thuja on March 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I used to read Page 2 on ESPN.com. Eventually I read a few columns there by Jemele Hill. And saw that she was a racist or racialist with that particular axe to grind.

22044 on March 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I don’t know if Kobe was guilty but I do know celebrities are always being accused by someone who just hopes to be paid off. In short we don’t know.

crankyoldlady on March 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

22044 on March 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Yup. With Jemele Hill, everything is about race. She’s actually not a terrible writer, but since she always injects race somehow into her columns (or at least she used to), I no longer have any use for her.

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

He’ll end up walking it back a bit. But it was brave of him to ever say it.

SAZMD on March 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM

crankyoldlady on March 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Yeah, I guess we’ll never know. He was obviously “guilty” of adultery, but I always did think he was innocent of the sexual assualt/rape charge, based on the evidence provided at the time.

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Kobe will now be called an Uncle Tom

The Notorious G.O.P on March 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Porch-Guard.

slickwillie2001 on March 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I have a dream…

It’s nice to see that some people, like Mr. Bryant, are living those words and looking beyond skin color.

talkingpoints on March 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM

The MSM didn’t really report on the evidence. From what I heard, they were having sex – consensually – when Kobe decided that he wanted to go in the out door. She refused and he did, anyway. But the MSM just reported it as if they were having sex and then she decided that it was rape, as if nothing else had happened in the interim. No big surprise, there.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I think Kobe learned this piece of wisdom from our president who famously indicated it would not be prudent to comment “not having been there and not seeing all the facts.”

Even though the Cambridge police acted stupidly.

pain train on March 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM

pain train on March 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Heh that’s exactly what I thought of when I read that part of Kobe’s statement.

GOPRanknFile on March 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Just posted to my FB page :
…..
Seems Kobe Bryant uses the common sense and MLK approach and is instantly labeled a h8ter.
We feel yer pain, Kobe.
…..

I wait ……

pambi on March 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM

KOBE BRYANT CHANGES TUNE: TRAYVON MARTIN ‘WAS WRONGED’

Kobe Bryant ✔ @kobebryant
Travon Martin was wronged THATS my opinion and thats what I believe the FACTS showed. The system did not work #myopinion #tweetURthoughts
2:23 PM – 27 Mar 2014

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I knew he would walk it back. Still respect his willingness to say what he did originally.

SAZMD on March 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Cr&p .. Hopes dashed.

pambi on March 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Kobe Bryant ✔ @kobebryant
2:23 PM – 27 Mar 2014

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

That didn’t take long.

Kaffa on March 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM

KOBE BRYANT CHANGES TUNE: TRAYVON MARTIN ‘WAS WRONGED’

Kobe Bryant ✔ @kobebryant
2:23 PM – 27 Mar 2014

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

And … Kobe decided that he wanted to do an anal tweet.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Oh yeah LeBron, you’re definitely Trayvon. Man, it sure be hard having life handed to you on a silver platter since age 15 because you won the genetic lottery and happen to be a better athlete than 99.999% of the planet.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Kobe runs back to the Rez.

portlandon on March 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

You know who else probably thinks the system didn’t work?

Katelyn Faber.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM

See?

vlad martel on March 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM

OT, but … Hopes renewed !!!!

Gotta find the link that leads to PP’s political donations, then this is FB bound, fer sure !!!

pambi on March 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Good for Kobe!

Now, he maybe pressured by the race baiters to “clarify” his remarks and pronounce Zimmerman some kind of racist killer, but hopefully he doesn’t.

What Kobe said is true and took courage to say. Bravo to him for thinking for himself and not just saying what he is expected to say by people who demand that all people of a particular skin color have the same views.

bluegill on March 27, 2014 at 7:59 PM

KOBE BRYANT CHANGES TUNE: TRAYVON MARTIN ‘WAS WRONGED’
Kobe Bryant ✔ @kobebryant
2:23 PM – 27 Mar 2014
Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Ugh! I knew the “clarification” was coming!!!

bluegill on March 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM

“I won’t react to something just because I’m supposed to, because I’m an African-American” Yeah I will.

vlad martel on March 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM

OT, again, and re: PP ….

They have committed 16 MILLION in political donations toward the 2014 midterms.

Just to save looking it up … LOL.

pambi on March 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

He has dual citizenship? Africa and America?

Murphy9 on March 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I have to steal that. When someone goes all AA on me, I usually ask “What part of Africa are you from”. For some reason I get the worst reaction from women. I have heard some four-letter words I didn’t know existed.

Alabama Infidel on March 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM

The clarification and his original comments aren’t entirely opposed. He was saying he likes to listen to the facts and make up his own mind, from the part I just read (I couldn’t read the whole piece), and he sort of implied he didn’t consider Trayvon an innocent party. Having said that, did he deserve death in these events? Entirely different question, and Kobe might well say, in considering that question, that Trayvon was wronged. I respect him for thinking about this very difficult issue and being willing to express some nuance in public. Pretty damn brave, considering the liberals out there who are willing to get really ugly, really fast, if they think someone is wandering off their defined talking points.

MTF on March 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Kobe Bryant ✔ @kobebryant
2:23 PM – 27 Mar 2014

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

It didn’t take long to get his mind right.

Alabama Infidel on March 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

We need a new underground railroad so blacks can sneak off and speak their mind freely.

Flange on March 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM

You’re NOT an African-American, idiot.

You’re an American.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

The Pope hates that there are poor in the inner cities, really.

Since they called Paul Ryan a racist, they better call the Pope one too.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Something tells me that Stacey Dash will understand his feelings very soon.

UnderstandingisPower on March 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM

rjoco1 on March 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Me too. And even if he isn’t a rapist he is an adulterer. Which is one step behind rapist in my opinion.

cptacek on March 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM

You’re NOT an African-American, idiot.

You’re an American.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Isn’t he an Italian-American?

cptacek on March 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Kobe will probably be blasted by the liberal rag called Sports Illustrated.

GaltBlvnAtty on March 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I don’t know what Bryant’s political leanings are, but let’s assume he votes Democrat. That’s fine — if only more Democrats were like him! Imagine the current crop of blowhards on MSNBC being treated as marginal extremists by a *liberal* wing of the American public who doesn’t have time for their caterwauling. Imagine how politics would benefit from conservatives and liberals who are able to not just talk with each other with a civil tongue, but actually like each other despite their differences, and are eager to find areas of compromise. And why compromise? Because each side knows that the other side’s point of view is valid, and that the other side might have some good ideas. But not enough Kobe Bryant’s in the world, I suppose. Too many Harry Reids (actually, one too many!)

SteveJ on March 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM

You’re NOT an African-American, idiot.

You’re an American.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

White-American here. And why is this story news, 2 years later?

LashRambo on March 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM

You’re NOT an African-American, idiot.

You’re an American.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

This seems harsh to me. Kobe does a good job here, going against all the pressures pushing him in the other direction. I don’t think we need perfection on or off the court.

GaltBlvnAtty on March 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM

SteveJ on March 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Compromise is not always good. Sometimes, the other sides ideals are so bad, your only choice is to defeat them. Lets go back a few years….When the democrats insisted on keeping their slaves, how would the compromise go? Okay, you can keep your slaves but you can only beat them twice a week. Yea! We have a bipartisian agreement.

Alabama Infidel on March 27, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Stop Being Black

PointnClick on March 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM

MTF on March 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Yeah, no sale. The first statement is good: “Let’s not assume, and see what the facts say.”

The walk-back is after the facts are known, though, and the facts were very clear. You can’t explain how Travyon was wronged when he attacked Zimmerman.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 27, 2014 at 8:57 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on March 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Did you read the retraction?

cptacek on March 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Some people are going to have a beef with Kobe now.

Flange on March 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

———–

mmmmmm Kobe beef….

29Victor on March 27, 2014 at 9:19 PM

The same Kobe Bryant that said last week that Obama could play for the Lakers? That Kobe Bryant?

Maybe not such a tower of rationality…

bofh on March 27, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I’ve always liked him.

SouthernGent on March 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Good to see that Kobe is down for the shtruggle.

slickwillie2001 on March 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Kobe Bryant is a highly intelligent man. He speaks something like 5 languages, including fluent French because he spent his childhood in France where his father was playing basketball. He also has the experience of being a man who, much like the Duke lacrosse players, was falsely accused of rape as a form of extortion.

Even though I am a Celtics fan I have always respected him. When he comes here to Boston he often hangs around college campuses just crashing in on peoples classes. Great guy.

eski502 on March 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

You’re NOT an African-American, idiot.

You’re an American.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on March 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Read his quote in context. He’s using the language the people who would say “you have to do this because you are and African American” would.

eski502 on March 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Stop Being Black

PointnClick on March 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM

And stop being Brown, Yellow, Purple, or whatever else.
Be (Classic) American.

AesopFan on March 28, 2014 at 2:25 AM

All this time, until now, I just thought Al was a spiteful, racist bigot. Now I see that the poor fellow just has a comprehension problem. If anything, he just needs our pity.

oakland on March 28, 2014 at 6:35 AM

lets see the medial only showed martin as a 10 year old not the photos of him with guns, bling, smokin weed and gang symbols

NBC EDITED the 911 tape yes they EDITED out the dispatcher question to make zimmerman look racist

REv al not so sharpton, went on a race baiting agenda

oh and the media INVENTED A NEW RACE CATAGORY white hispanic, just to put WHITE in the middle of it to try and stir up a RACE INCIDENT.

oh and they media also totally ignored ole TRayvons criminal record.

and finally the fact ole trayvon (the guy with the criminal record) attacked and was in the middle of sitting on Zimmerman’s chest beaating his head into the sidewalk when he got his thug butt shot.

say here is an idea, don’t assault a stranger he might be armned.

sniffles1999 on March 28, 2014 at 8:21 AM

rebkah howard @pink_funk

Martin’s race predetermined his fate? That may be the rationale that the race-baiters are using to cast him an a “victim,” but it’s not what the evidence showed at trial.

Why did Zimmerman first become suspicious of Martin? Because of his behavior, not because of his race. Zimmerman called police and told them he saw a man walking around his neighborhood, in the rain, after dark, walking off the pavement, looking into homes, and appearing to be under the influence of drugs. The dispatcher was the one who introduced race into the picture, when she asked what color the suspect was. Zimmerman said “he looks black” only in response to the dispatcher’s question about race.

The fact is, Martin died that night not because he was black, but because he chose to punch Zimmerman in the face, knock him down, jump on top of him, and rain blows down on him. Martin’s race didn’t predetermine his fate that night. What determined Martin’s fate was his decision to attack an armed man.

AZCoyote on March 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM

MTF on March 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I agree. His first statement addresses the need of some to jump to defend purely based on color – the ace baiters. Like the race baiters who chastised Bryant implying he didn’t understand the problem because he grew up elsewhere.

You can disagree with the conclusion he came to that “Travon was wronged” but he at least seems to have given it some thought. Baby steps.

katiejane on March 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I applaud Kobe for his belief in and pointing out that finding out the facts in any incident and how people should not allow ‘color / race’ to rule.

President Obama himself was a prime example, when his colege proffesor buddy refused to show his ID / identify himself when a police officer, who was trying to PROTECT the professor’s house, asked him to. Obama’s 1st reaction and comment were based on a color/race knee-jerk reaction, which his 2-part comment displayed.

“I do not know the details yet…”
– Then why say anything before you do, risking putting your foot in your mouth while simultaneously demonstratnig your own racial bias? But he couldn’t help himself…..

“…but the police acted stupidly.”
DOH…too late!

Then the details came out – the police officer was a highly decorated officer who actually taught racial diversity and relations to all the police members in that force/unit…and his buddy had acted like an @$$.

Don’t jump to conclussions…find out the facts regarding what is going on first…in any and every situation. You go, Kobe!

easyt65 on March 28, 2014 at 9:11 AM

IMHO, the ugly undercurrent behind the rush to condemn GZ was because he was assumed to be Jewish.

Lee Jan on March 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Kobe also called a black man (Shaq) “lazy”, so he’s not afraid of the media.

GEAH on March 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM