Harry Reid: I don’t recall accusing Republicans of lying about ObamaCare horror stories

posted at 1:21 pm on March 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via America Rising and the IJR, is this the key that finally unlocks the enigma of Harry Reid, tinpot demagogue? Maybe, from moment to moment, this guy just … doesn’t realize what’s coming out of his mouth. Hard to believe he could forget saying on the Senate floor that all ObamaCare horror stories — all of them — are a GOP/Koch brothers fairy tale designed to besmirch the stellar reputation of the Affordable Care Act. Those remarks got heavy coverage in conservative media, and even got picked up at WaPo. You don’t toss a grenade that powerful without choosing your target carefully. Or do you? Someone needs to ask this guy if he’s heard any unusual stories about Mitt Romney’s taxes. If he blanks on it, we’re onto something.

Imagine how upset he’ll be when he finds out that even a few younger people have had trouble figuring out how Healthcare.gov works.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t understand why some GOP Senator doesn’t immediately get up and repeat verbatim, time and day, what Reid said? Are they so lacking in backbone that they allow him to overtly lie?

katiejane on March 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

katiejane on March 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I believe the Senate is somewhat of an ‘old mans club’ — There are a lot of ‘rules’ about decorum. If someone were to call him out to his face, they’d probably be criticized (perhaps even by traitors in their own party like McCain).

nullrouted on March 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I now have so many graves I intend to p*ss on someday, I may very well have to begin drinking frat party-sized amounts of beer again just to keep up the pace.

Eric in Hollywood on March 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM

katiejane on March 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

crankyoldlady on March 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Ocums razor…simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Harry has Alzheimers disease…..period.
III

Sgt Stryker on March 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Tune in tomorrow when Senator Patty Murray claims she’s beautiful..

ToddPA on March 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM

He also doesn’t remember stealing $17,000 of campaign contributions to send to his granddaughter to shore up her fledgling ugly jewelry business.

maryo on March 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He can hide his own Easter eggs.

Buttercup on March 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM

maryo on March 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Oops! It’s up to $31,000 now. I’ll bet there’s more…

maryo on March 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Ocums razor…simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Harry has Alzheimers disease…..period.

One of the very few people I would ever wish that on, but I’m afraid Harry’s is just channeling Baghdad Bob.

Wallythedog on March 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Professional liars lie so often and for so long that they get caught up in their own lies. However, they do believe (and are correct due to a sycophantic press) that lies told long and often enough become the ‘new truth’. Welcome to our Brave New World…

vnvet on March 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Where’s Reid’s indictment for campaign fraud / campaign spending violations?

Didn’t James Traficant do the same before being convicted in Federal Court and expelled from Congress?

In 2002, Traficant was indicted on federal corruption charges for taking campaign funds for personal use. Again, he opted to represent himself, insisting that the trial was part of a vendetta against him dating to his 1983 trial. After a two-month federal trial, on April 15, 2002, he was convicted of 10 felony counts including bribery, racketeering, and tax evasion. He was sentenced to a federal prison, where he served seven years. Per House rules, he lost his right to vote on legislation pending an investigation by the House Ethics Committee. a jury found Traficant guilty of bribery and other charges.

Eventually, the House Ethics Committee recommended that Traficant be expelled from Congress. On July 24 the House voted to expel him by a 420-1 vote.

Oh, that’s it. The malicious, evil, and mendacious sociopath from Nevada is a Democrat. Traficant was a Republican. Different party, different set of rules and values.

Athos on March 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

LIES!! Every report that I accused the opposition of lying are ALL LIES!!

Axeman on March 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM

katiejane on March 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

You know what? I used to watch a lot of CSPAN in the 80s and 90s. Some Republican could have well refuted Reid.

But sites like HotAir only focus on that Reid said something this brash. And mainstream media never reports refutations, OR when somebody asks a question for the cameras that has already been answered later–or even previously –in the debate.

Whether or not I can tolerate liberal policies, what drove me toward Republicans is that they won most of the debates, to my perspective, and the press had more interest in provocative questions grandstanded during the debate than an accurate portrayal of any debate. My first and foremost orientation is against the colluding press and against the defamation of conservatives, whether or not I like all conservative ideas.

Axeman on March 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Athos on March 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Trafficant was a DONK.

Spurius Ligustinus on March 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Athos on March 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Well many of us saw how they equated Wright’s vanity press autobiography with Newt’s best seller mainstream book. Jim Wright used to have a box of vanity-press published memoirs that he used to take around to his “free” speeches and the unions would buy a box of his “memoirs”.

The libs said “Wright was removed for taking money from a book he had published” (true) and equated that to Newt taking money from a major publishing house to write a best-selling book. Although in retrospect it’s still not the best circumstance to have a sitting speaker receive boatloads of cash from any source, it was nowhere near as seedy as what Wright did.

Axeman on March 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Harry’s dementia is snowballing. Stom Thurmond was far more lucid at the end.

Whitey Ford on March 27, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Trafficant was a DONK.

Spurius Ligustinus on March 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM

In fairness to Athos, he never said, to his recollection, that Traficant was a Republican.

The Schaef on March 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Either he is senile or lying and he should be in jail for one and out of a job for the other.

rgranger on March 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Imagine if this was deemed a legitimate defense in court?

mumbojumbo on March 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Trafficant was a DONK.

Spurius Ligustinus on March 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM

You are correct. My mistake.

But with that, I think the general question is still valid – why the different set of rules for Reid as compared to Traficant?

Athos on March 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

He qualifies it with “to my recollection” – not an outright denial, more of a “if I did it, I don’t remember doing it” kind of assertion. Of course, if the senator doesn’t remember his own words from, uh, a month ago, it’s probably time for him to pack it in. Your move, Nevada voters.

NathanHale on March 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Where is al gore when you need him to fix the internet that he invented, dang it.

crosshugger on March 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM

maryo on March 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Oops! It’s up to $31,000 now. I’ll bet there’s more…

maryo on March 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM

So, when does the investigation begin? Oh, right.

HiJack on March 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM

ROLL THAT BEAUTIFUL BEAN FOOTAGE!!!!

pilamaye on March 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM

This pitiful man has lost it, certifiable. Insane. Alzheimer’s. I can’t believe he got re-elected.

He and Pelosi are the brackets around The Obama Period signaling the begin of the fall.

Who is John Galt on March 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Athos on March 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Traficant was eccentric but I always thought he probably did something to tick off organized crime that pretty much runs Youngstown or at least used to. I’m not privy to the politics there anymore.

crankyoldlady on March 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Athos on March 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Traficant is not a pederast, so there’s that.

slickwillie2001 on March 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Are they so lacking in backbone that they allow him to overtly lie?

katiejane on March 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

justltl on March 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I heard once that Reid was a boxer.

I didn’t really believe it…till I heard some of the incredibly stupid shit he says.

Now I believe he is riddled with Post Concussive Syndrome.

a5minmajor on March 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Ha $31,000 is chicken feed. Ask Finstein about that $2 billion no bid contract to her husbands co.

jainphx on March 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

He defines weasel. Dems be proud now!! idiots.

CW on March 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

What “decorum”? Reid called Republicans liars, called Romney a tax cheat, said the war in Iraq was lost, called the Koch brothers ‘un-american’, all from the Senate floor. Whatever rules on decorum the Senate once had, Reid burned them to ash long ago.

Socratease on March 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Traficant was a Democrat, but wasn’t nearly the party hack that Reid is. He had a solid, 95%+ pro-life voting record. And he voted for Hastert for Speaker in 2001. Dems hated him so much, they stripped him of his seniority and didn’t even give him a committee assignment.

He also had a 92% lifetime rating from the NRA in 2000.

TheYeomanFarmer on March 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Sure he remembers. He simply knows that the people who support his side of the aisle are too brain dead to sort out his bull plop.

SteveThomas on March 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

This is a tweet I just sent to Barbara Boxer, ranking member of the Senate Ethics Committee. If you tweet, feel free to use it.

. @SenatorBoxer, while holding hearings about @SenatorReid’s ethics violation, you’ll also be asking about his mental capacity, right ma’am?

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

senile dementia

searcher on March 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM

maryo on March 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM

It was $31,000. But yes!

NYCMike on March 27, 2014 at 9:04 PM

senile dementia

searcher on March 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Beat me to it, searcher.

This lying, thieving ole mumbling humpbacked phart needs to go.

avagreen on March 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Flora Duh on March 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

ROF!! Luv me some strong women (not referring to the Senator named after a dog).

avagreen on March 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM

crankyoldlady on March 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

You read the news, now see the movie.
“Traficant, the Congressman of Crimetown”

AesopFan on March 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I’d say Reid is going straight to hell, but I’m pretty sure reptilian aliens don’t actually have a soul.

bigjack on March 27, 2014 at 9:48 PM

My Mother said that while driving across Nevada, in the middle of nowhere, saw a sign that said, Will Rodgers never met Harry Reid.

scookam on March 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM

I. Do. Not. Care.

idalily on March 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Democrats NEVER self monitor.

rubykatherine on March 27, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Traficant is not a pederast, so there’s that.

slickwillie2001 on March 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Alleged pederast. Nobody has alleged Jim Traficant was a pederast.

Unlike Harry Reid, alleged pederast. People have, in fact, alleged that he is a pederast…

JohnGalt23 on March 28, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Occams razor…simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Harry has Alzheimers disease…..period.
III

Sgt Stryker on March 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Mispelling fixed

It would be consistent with everything else we’ve seen thus far.

Is there a way to force a medical check on a standing senator. I’m certain that someone in the throes of Alzheimers is not fit to be a senator, much less the senate majority leader.

Chaz706 on March 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM

What else would you expect from an alleged pederast?

kozmocostello on March 28, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Perhaps Reid is trying to build up his B$ defense in case someone has the b@lls to appropriately charge him with a crime for misusing campaign funds by giving it to his daughter and her business. ‘I don’t remember doing that, either…I must have ‘Alzheimer’s’…..but I can still run the Senate

easyt65 on March 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM

He can hide his own Easter eggs.

Buttercup on March 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM

+100

TerryW on March 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I was kidding when I wrote what I did…and I think everyone needs to stop making excuses for Reid, even in jest. The truth is Harry Reid is a self-serving, party-1st, elitist, crooked, lying, evil old man who would say or do anything to protect his own power, position, prestiege, and party…even, as we have continually seen, $crew over this nation and every American in it.

easyt65 on March 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Traficant was a Republican. Athos on March 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Mmmmmm no.

Akzed on March 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Senility or lying, which is it? Just a despicable human being who has no moral compass. Really! How many low information voters are there in Nevada that are willing to vote for this delusional fool.

regmgr on March 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM

This has been obvious to me for well over two years. I may not be the most empathetic listener, but I do pay close attention to what other people say.

thuja on March 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I’m at a total loss of words for him. Honestly, he is not a man or person in any respect. He is has a track record of lying, cheating,fraud, and deceit his whole life. The devil himself will be shocked at his crimes when he enters hell

jaywemm on March 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

The entire chamber should have emptied. That they would sit and listen to that and do nothing shames them all.

FineasFinn on March 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

If it talks like a lie, if it walks like a lie, if it quacks lie. It’s probably a Politician speaking.

polokfla on March 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Harry Reid is either a massive liar or going senile. I could go either way on him.

LeoMcNeil on March 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Sorry Dingy, but we have these things nowadays called moving pictures on the interwebs and your every lie is recorded.

esnap on March 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM