Christie on Bridgegate: Anyone who knows me knows I wouldn’t want my staff being so inexplicably stupid

posted at 8:51 pm on March 27, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

What did New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie know, and when did he know it? According to the report released earlier today, there’s no evidence that he knew diddly squat about the bridge lane closures last September in advance — but seeing as how the report was the result of an internal investigation by lawyers he selected, don’t count on anybody in the media showing a willingness to let it go at that. Ergo, the obligatorily accompanying interview:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) denied Thursday that he “inspired” the George Washington Bridge scandal that created a traffic jam on the world’s busiest bridge last September. …

“I spent a lot of time the last 11 weeks thinking about what did I do if I did anything to contribute to this,” Christie said. “I don’t believe that I did.” …

“I do believe that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” Christie said. “It’s been a very, very tough time professionally. Not the toughest time in my life, but certainly the toughest time in my life professionally.”

The report, released by law firm Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, said no concrete evidence existed that indicated Christie knew of the bridge’s lane closures last September in advance.

“That’s the truth,” Christie said about the inquiry’s conclusion.

Comments

Christie for 2016? NO! No way do I vote for Christie.

Kaffa on March 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I’m still never voting for Christie, he doesn’t need us we don’t need him.
He can go French kiss Hussein and get the Dim votes.
Idiot.

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Sod off, fat boy.

Jaibones on March 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Christie causes traffic tie-ups.

Yee is a gun-runner with ties to islamic terrorists group in the Philippines.

Who gets the press?

Pless1foEngrish on March 27, 2014 at 9:09 PM

FB thinks he can win. But, he needs us and we don’t want him. So he may as well pack it up and go off to liberal land where he will windup anyway. He’s just a fat version of metro Charlie Crist.

rodguy911 on March 27, 2014 at 9:11 PM

FYI, Erika — the first link in your post fails like Error404Care (the URL is the entire article instead of just the headline) …

[I'm looking for some mention of the caption "Plus: “They love me in Iowa.”]

ShainS on March 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Some of us – a handful – understood from the outset that this phony scandal was completely illogical and improbable. Unfortunately that handful did not include those who get paid to write opinion pieces on this site. This bs scandal therefore had more legs on this site than it deserved. It was always an exercise in wishful thinking by the illogical extreme right and the unethical left.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I do not like this Christie ham. I do not like his Bridgegate sham.
I do not like these dirty crooks or how they lie and cook the books.
I do not like when RINOs squeal. I do not like their crony deals.

I do not like this kind of dope, and we won’t take it, nope, nope, nope.

faraway on March 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM

“illogical extreme right”?

Which paid writer here would that be? AP?

He wrote most about it. Was he out to get fatboy?

Please do continue…..

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Go home, Chris.

Laura Castellano on March 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Christie investigated himself and found no wrong-doing. Hmmm. Where have we seen that before.

Wigglesworth on March 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM

You and other Christie promoters seem to be displaying the wishful thinking. “Nothing to see here, move on, only ‘extreme right wingers’ and the left are concerned about this.”

Why don’t you ask some Romney campaign veterans about Christie:

Pro-illegal alien amnesty, sharia-defending RINO Chris Christie is far from a paragon of integrity. I am dismayed to see Mitt Romney still support the guy, especially after Christie essentially endorsed Obama right before the election.

bluegill on March 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I always thought it was near beer, there are more significant issues about his lack of judgement, Schundler, Quatanani, et al,

narciso on March 27, 2014 at 9:42 PM

“Besides….they wouldn’t agree to get the morning donuts,
otherwise I would’ve gone along with it…”

ToddPA on March 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Sod off, fat boy.

Jaibones on March 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM

DITTO

crankyoldlady on March 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Why don’t you ask some Romney campaign veterans about Christie:

bluegill on March 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Christie’s failings do not justify a smear. You have revealed yourself as unethical and unprincipled. I do not promote Christie, though I will certainly support him if he is the nominee. I support fairness and intelligent analysis. You are a rabid, unprincipled, fool.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Nor do his failings justify being glossed over by chubby chasers such as yourself. Aren’t there better things you can be doing than wasting your time here, Mister Rove?

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Nor do his failings justify being glossed over by chubby chasers such as yourself. Aren’t there better things you can be doing than wasting your time here, Mister Rove Ms. Coulter?

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM

FIFM

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM

fatboys failings do not justify a smear. You have revealed yourself as unethical and unprincipled. I do not promote Christie, though I will certainly support him if he is the nominee. I support fairness and intelligent analysis. You are a rabid, unprincipled, fool. Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM

That’s funny as hell.

You don’t promote him? What are you doing right now?

Who’s rabid? You are.

Again, which paid writers here were you referring to?

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Why don’t you ask some Romney campaign veterans about Christie:

Not that it matters, but despite Christie’s betrayal, and disgusting pre-election embrace of Obama, Mitt Romney, a man of principle, has expressed his belief in Christie’s innocence in this stupid smear.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM

That’s funny as hell.

You don’t promote him? What are you doing right now?

Who’s rabid? You are.

Again, which paid writers here were you referring to?

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM

So you’re not intelligent enough to distinguish between defending someone from a stupid smear and promoting him. You probably think that lawyers who defend clients like them.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Nobody here has suggested he’s guilty. Just that he’s a suckazz rino.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM

If they love Cartman Christie in Iowa, then his next office can be governor of Iowa. Nothing more.

86 on March 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM

High again? Dope.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Typical liberal BS … blah, blah, blah …

Yeah, Christie, you’re going to make a great running mate for Killary.

Pork-Chop on March 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Nobody here has suggested he’s guilty. Just that he’s a suckazz rino.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Christie could be as ignorant as an infant child as regards bridgegate, and he’d still be a greasy progressive crook, but I repeat myself.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM

This issue aside, it makes Christie somewhat likeable, he’s not my cup of TEA. When he reads some Ayn Rand/Barry G/Ronnie R I might have more use for him.

Tater Salad on March 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM

High again? Dope.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I corrected myself, Ms. Coulter. What was that you said about Chris Christie being the salvation of the Republican party in ’12?

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Nobody here has suggested he’s guilty. Just that he’s a suckazz rino.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Is your first name Barack? The truth is that I am one of a handful who questioned the rush to judgment. Most of the idiots here pronounced him guilty. You are shameless.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:12 PM

. You probably think that lawyers who defend clients like them. Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I’m sure the lawyers fatboy just cut a large check to clear him love their client, and relish the thought of representing him again.

Now which illogical right winged paid writer here were you referring to?

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I’ve ever said that. Liar.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I’ve ever said that. Liar.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM

So you’re not Karl Rove. You’re apparently not Ann Coulter. I’m trying to figure out which establishment figure you remind me most of, but I can’t quite seem to put my finger on it…

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:18 PM

your first name Barack? The truth is that I am one of a handful who questioned the rush to judgment. Most of the idiots here pronounced him guilty. You are shameless. Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Which paid blog writer here did that?

Do tell…

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:18 PM

For the record, even had I pronounced Chris Christie guilty, it’s not like the guy was denied his due process rights or something. Politics ain’t beanbag. I’m still not entirely convinced that bridgegate was some kind of unfounded smear, but Chris Christie still has an R behind his name. And all the french kissing of Obama between now and 2016 won’t earn him a single iota of goodwill from the legacy media. It’s the seriousness of the charge when the charge is leveled against a Republican. It’s only much ado about nothing when the charge is aimed a Democrat.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM

some of us –a handful –understood from the outset that this phony scandal was completely illogical and improbable. Unfortunately that handful did not include those who get paid to write opinion pieces on this site. This bs scandal therefore had more legs on this site

Name names.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Now which illogical right winged paid writer here were you referring to? wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM

All of those not willing to state the obvious. Why would a man as smart as Christie risk his career and possibly expose himself to criminal prosecution with a hare brained scheme to cause traffic chaos in order to punish a Democrat Mayor for not endorsing him? A Mayor whose endorsement was not sought or needed.

The allegations were moronic.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The allegations were moronic.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The allegations were plausible. I still find them plausible. It sounds like something Christie would have and could have done, particularly given his pre-gubernatorial history in Jersey state government. That is why the charges will continue to haunt him. Sometimes all it takes is a baseless accusation to render someone unfit for high office. Now if only real scandal would sink a few incumbents…

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM

You had no power to deny him due process, you dope. You didn’t deny him anything. You merely expressed your unprincipled, illogical, dopey opinion.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM

So, AP should have just not even wrote about it.

Gotcha.

I kinda remember him being ragged for being TOO pro-fatboy. It was the running joke for weeks.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM

And you’re expressing your unprincipled, illogical, moronic opinion about my opinion. For my being someone who has no power over Chris Christie, you sure do seem butthurt over allegations that supposedly didn’t and don’t and won’t mean anything. Unless there’s more to to that than you’re letting on. Oh yes, make no mistake, if Christie runs in ’16 the legacy media will have a freaking field day with his history in New Jersey. And I’m not just talking about bridgegate.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Projection. Concluding that someone is guilty with barely a shred of evidence speaks to your character and sense of fairness.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM

So, AP should have just not even wrote about it.

Gotcha.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM

As opposed to providing some objective, intelligent, analysis.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM

You like that word a lot?

“Fairness”?

Most progs do.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Except that I never did. Saying that the allegations sounded plausible and still do is not the same thing as saying I think he was guilty of a crime. What I said in this thread and elsewhere amounts to the following:

The media is going to have a field day with this and he might as well forget any hopes he had for presidential aspirations. This is going to dog him even if he is otherwise pure as the driven snow.

Politics ain’t beanbag. Life ain’t fair. And insofar as this can be considered any kind of “exoneration,” it still isn’t going away.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:37 PM

as opposed to providing some objective, intelligent, analysis. Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That’s exactly what he did. Day after day.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That’s exactly what he did. Day after day.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Don’t ya know, Wolly? If Basilsbest says you’re an idiot, you’re an idiot. Just surrender./

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:42 PM

…middle finger!…FatBoy

KOOLAID2 on March 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Footnote on my exit from this stupidy:

Speaking like Spock doesn’t help you much, basil.

“that’s illogical”

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Personally, I’m far more interested at this point in the political ramifications of this brouhaha than I am in whether Christie was complicit in the illegal bridge closure or not. No one’s going to see a day in the clink over it or pay a single thin red cent in fines, but that doesn’t mean that Chris Christie won’t end up paying a political price.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:45 PM

That’s exactly what he did. Day after day.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I don’t recall AP once saying that the allegations were implausible or that it made no sense for Christie to have engaged in a stupid scheme that had a huge risk and no real reward. In fact, he expressed the opinion that the allegations were likely true.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Well whether the charges were plausible or not is simply a matter of opinion. And unlike you, I am not going to call your opinion “stupid” “illogical” or otherwise deride it because I disagree with it. But I will say I dislike Chris Christie intensely and personally.

I dislike him because of his embrace of Islam.

I dislike him because of the way he steamrolled Steve Lonegan on his way to the governor’s office.

I dislike him because of his open disdain for gun owners and the 2nd amendment.

I dislike him because of his big fat wet sloppy drooling over Barack Obama.

I dislike him cause the Jersey tough guy act gets old, considering what Scott Walker was really able to accomplish vs. PEUs in Wisconsin.

In short, to me, the bridgegate scandal, such as it is, is a drop in the ocean to me. Assuming the worst, it’s just not that big a deal. I think the legacy media did hammer it for maximum effect on Christie’s image in Jersey as well as nationwide. He doesn’t stand a chance in the presidential primaries now, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Spock: ” That’s implausable, Jim.”

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Yes, it’s clear that most here were delighted to see Christie destroyed by a smear. It speaks to your character and mentality. Yes, everyone who defends Christie from these illogical and stupid accusations is promoting him.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Eh, methinks you’re engaging in a wee bit of hyperbole there, Butch. Personally, I would have rather seen one of the above-mentioned reasons that I really dislike him lay him low. Regardless, I’m always happy when someone who works against my beliefs and interests gets taken out of the running for a presidential nomination. I wish it happened more often and that we had genuinely good guys left in the rotation, but if wishes were fishes…

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Ah yes, the scandal that was almost universally regarded on this site as the scandal that finished him is now, when proven likely untrue, a drop in the ocean.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM

You really enjoy lumping me in here with everyone else, don’t you, you prejudiced cretin? My whole point in engaging in this thread is that it always was a drop in the ocean to me. I’m not even attempting to speak for anyone else. In case I didn’t make it abundantly clear upthread, I have a laundry list of reasons that I believe Chris Christie is unfit for office, all of them far more substantive than accusations of an improperly closed bridge. Shit, I was crowing about what a blowhard loser the fat man was back when people were jonesing for him to run in ’12! Anybody who thinks the bridgegate scandal is “implausible” is either not paying attention, or has a major hardon to rehabilitate the fat man’s flagging image.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM

He or Bush will be the nom. You people aren’t picking the nominee. Or haven’t you learned that yet?

The media loves to tear em down then build them back up. If he’s telling the truth, then it will be a comeback story.

rubberneck on March 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM

According to the report released earlier today,
=================================================

REPORT:

Internal Review of Bridge Scandal

The report, commissioned by Gov. Chris Christie’s office after the George Washington Bridge scandal erupted, was made available on Thursday morning. (Related Article) MARCH 27, 2014

canopfor on March 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Anybody who thinks the bridgegate scandal is “implausible” is either not paying attention, or has a major hardon to rehabilitate the fat man’s flagging image. gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Anybody who thinks Christie is guilty in this matter isn’t very objective. Your lots of reason for opposing Christie (and dope) are clouding your ability to make reasoned judgments about this matter. I am one of the few to appreciate from the outset that this was a faux scandal. It’s not because I favor Christie. It’s because my first loyalty is to my own values. And yes logic and fairness are two things I value.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM

rubberneck on March 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Except that we’ll never know if he’s telling the truth. I can opine all day long on what I think happened and why, but in the end it doesn’t matter. What matters is that Christie’s image is tarnished and the media will wring every last ounce of doubt they can out of the electorate as regards Christie’s bridgegate innocence.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Tweets All / No replies

Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 5h

New allegation against former top aide to @GovChristie.My story on latest #BridgegateReport @nbcnightlynews
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 10h

Mastro says internal review interviewed @GovChristie “over days and hours” multiple times but not specific on dates
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 10h

“The Governor does not recall the specifics of that conversation…” Mastro says of Wildstein claim he mentioned traffic to Christie
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Mastro claims David Wildstein had “bizarre personal and political animus” toward many people.
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“Witnesses lie, documents don’t” says Mastro explaining his review’s assertion Wildstein/Kelly are responsible not Gov.

“I am a proud Democrat…” says Randy Mastro defending his independence
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“Its a sad day to know people in Gov’s office and Port Authority breached the public trust this way”–Mastro @GovChristie review
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Mastro says “We will be judged by whether we got this right” when OTHER investigations are done.
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“Not a shred of evidence” @govChristie ordered or knewof lane closures. “We believe we’ve gotten to the truth” –Mastro
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“Our law firm was retained by ..a public office..has an obligation to that public office” Mastro says he is not Christie’s lawyer
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“This incident..where rivalries between NY & NJ have led to ..problematic issues.” at Port Authority– Mastro @GovChristie Internal Review
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Internal review says Christie should hire an ombudsman and ethics officer
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Internal review recommends changes to internal office Bridget Kelly once ran to “Be a service function for all in non partisan manner”
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“We find (Hoboken) Mayor Zimmer’s allegations..demonstrably false in material respects.” -Mastro
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Internal review has not found a motive. Mastro says he met @GovChristie day he was hired for review.
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Internal Review disputes much talked about motivation that Ft Lee Mayor’s endorsement of Gov was root of lane closures
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“David Wildstein is the person who originated this idea and orchestrated it.”–Internal Review @GovChristie
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

“Bridget Kelly lied to her colleagues…asked subordinate to destroy documents” says Randy Mastro
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Internal review: “@GovChristie had no knowledge beforehand..played no role whatsoever…” in bridge lane closures
Kelly O’Donnell ‏@KellyO 11h

Randy Mastro begins news conference on bridge internal review pic.twitter.com/5nxdA8lyeC

canopfor on March 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I’ll tell you what, Basil. You stop putting words in my mouth and I’ll keep my [expletive deleted] out of yours. Deal? “Plausible” is what gets you arrested. “Not guilty” is what makes everyone wonder if you did it after a jury of your peers lets you go free.

And besides that, since when were “logic” and “fairness” ever values held in high esteem by politicians, you priggish self-righteous fop? If you think I’m treating him unfairly, you just wait and see what happens in the media when he declares and his run is official. Bridgegate is all you’ll be hearing about from the legacy media, and it’ll trickle down here at HotAir. It always does. And I’m sure you’ll be here to piss and moan about it just like always.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Christie’s man-crush on Springsteen. Oh yeah, let’s elect him.

Hening on March 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

New Jersey, US
Chris Christie Sandy funds investigation
****************************************
9h
Hoboken, NJ, Mayor Dawn Zimmer calls internal investigation of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s administration ‘whitewash’ – @TPM
read more on talkingpointsmemo.com
===================================

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
10h
Randy Mastro: It’s not a ‘memorable event’ if Wildstein mentioned a traffic study to Christie in September 2013 – @mmurraypolitics
see original on twitter.com
============================

Chris Christie Sandy funds investigation
11h
Photo: Gov. Christie lawyer summarizes his report on the bridge-closing scandal – @FOX29philly
see original on twitter.com
============================

Chris Christie Sandy funds investigation
11h
Lawyer Randy Mastro: ‘It serves no purpose to have done anything other than get to the truth’ – @NBCNews broadcast
read more on nbcnews.com
=========================

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
11h
Lawyer Randy Mastro says findings are a ‘vindication’ of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie – from @NBCNews broadcast
read more on nbcnews.com
==========================

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
11h
Lawyer conducting review of bridge-closing scandal denies conflict of interest; says his obligation was to report the truth – from @NBCNews broadcast
read more on nbcnews.com
===========================

Chris Christie Sandy funds investigation
11h
“We find (Hoboken) Mayor Zimmer’s allegations … demonstrably false in material respects’ -Mastro – @KellyO
see original on twitter.com
===========================

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
11h
Lawyer: Probe shows New Jersey Gov. Christie ‘played no role whatsoever’ in bridge-lane realignment – from @NBCNews broadcast
read more on nbcnews.com
========================

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
11h
Live video: Attorneys conducting review of George Washington Bridge lane closings hold media briefing – @NBCNews
read more on nbcnews.com
========================

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
1d
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he has not ruled out 2016 presidential run despite bridge lane closure scandal – @NBCNewYork
read more on nbcnewyork.com
=============================

Chris Christie Sandy funds investigation
1d
George Washington Bridge, Sandy relief funds report to be released at 11:30 am ET on Thursday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s office says – @njdotcom
read more on http://www.nj.com

canopfor on March 27, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Except that we’ll never know if he’s telling the truth. I can opine all day long on what I think happened and why, but in the end it doesn’t matter. What matters is that Christie’s image is tarnished and the media will wring every last ounce of doubt they can out of the electorate as regards the merits of the GOP nominee Christie’s bridgegate innocence.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM

You wish and hope. The public identies with someone who is unfairly smeared. You’ve overplayed your hand.

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 11:37 PM

That is, if the public believes that someone has been unfairly smeared. The only thing I am absolutely certain of is that it will play differently nationally than it did in New Jersey. That could be to Chris Christie’s advantage or disadvantage in a general election, assuming he makes it through the primaries, though his demonstrably progressive tendancies will make that aspect of his run problematic, to say the least.

To wit, the 2nd amendment is something I will not negotiate on. If a politician wishes to bargain away my right to self-defense, his candidacy is a non-starter to me. Sorry Dr. Carson.

gryphon202 on March 27, 2014 at 11:42 PM

u wish and hope. The public identies with someone who is unfairly smeared. You’ve overplayed your hand. Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Like Palin?

Only progs are true “victims” to the msm.

Funny thing to me is you don’t even find it odd when diane sawyer slobbers on him. You think they might have an agenda with that?

He’d be the “victim” of the “illogical hard right” in the primaries to the lsm.

Then he would get slaughtered by them in the general.

That’s what they do. They promote our weak in the primary, then kull them off.

wolly4321 on March 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM

I don’t promote Christie

Right.

wolly4321 on March 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I’m still never voting for Christie, he doesn’t need us we don’t need him.
He can go French kiss Hussein and get the Dim votes.
Idiot.

burrata on March 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM

He firmly believe (as McCain did) that he can blow off Conservatives and get enough dim votes to offset Conservatives that stay at home or vote for some kook third party guy.

It didn’t work for McCain and it won’t work for Christie. That strategy will give us 8 more years of dims in the WH.

Alabama Infidel on March 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Basil thinks our strong suit is to run a victim of illogical right winged unfairness.

Don’t believe me? Read ^^^^

From the top.

wolly4321 on March 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM

It definitely hurt him short term. We’ll see if he can come back. I would rather he stay viable in case some of the other contenders crash and burn.

cimbri on March 28, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Basilsbest on March 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM

There was, sadly, an unholy alliance between some conservatives and the liberal media. Some cons were watching Maddow every night, and then repeating the crap the next day.

cimbri on March 28, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Anyone who knows me knows I wouldn’t want my staff to get caught.

David Blue on March 28, 2014 at 3:05 AM

Not that the Democrat operatives in the “mainstream media” care either way. This is just electoral battle-space preparation.

David Blue on March 28, 2014 at 3:09 AM

I don’t promote Christie

Right.

wolly4321 on March 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Your inability to distinguish between promotion and criticizing the “thinking” of those who engage in an obvious smear has been amply demonstrated.

Don’t believe me? Read ^^^^

From the top.

wolly4321 on March 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Our strong suit is to be intelligent and principled. This means not supporting the smears of the left and picking our next nominee after the GOP Primary rather than now.

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Palin was both. And she was also a victim of unfair smears. Where were you defending her?

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM

No way am I going to invest almost eight minutes listening to the fat man lie his ass off. Fact of the matter his staff wasn’t inexplicably stupid. They were doing the bidding of “the boss” even if the fat man didn’t explicitly tell them to go out and close those lanes. It’s a failure of leadership and just a minor reason among many why Governor Stay Puft is unfit for any public office including the one he currently holds.

But hey, I’m not an Iowan so Christie won’t care about me unless Virginia becomes a “swing state.”

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 6:40 AM

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Perhaps if you didn’t smoke dope you wouldn’t assume facts which are the opposite of the truth. I defended Palin vigorously and often, especially when she was criticized for not bankrupting her family to fight smears. Palin lost my support when she supported Gingrich and then advocated a brokered convention. It would have left the nominee without sufficient time to organize a campaign. Palin’s call for a brokered convention was not only self-serving, it was brain-dead.

Palin never ran for the GOP nomination, nor will she ever run. She wanted the nomination handed to her at a brokered convention.

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Basilsbest on March 28, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Where did she say that? That right there is an illogical conclusion. Even if she did want a brokered convention, which would have been a reasonable conclusion to draw based on plausibility, what on God’s green earth made you think she wanted a brokered convention for her own benefit? If she were truly interested in politics at all, there were any number of routes she could have taken aside from the most improbable one.

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, this right here ^

is why Christie will have a long row to hoe in the primaries. I am of the firm belief that Happy Nomad is representative of the American voter writ-large.

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Is this the huffo left wing rag site?

After scanning the comments, I think it is

I support a fellow Republican…and that includes Christie.

Anybody is better than a pol with a D beside their name

Redford on March 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Is this the huffo left wing rag site?

After scanning the comments, I think it is

I support a fellow Republican…and that includes Christie.

Anybody is better than a pol with a D beside their name

Redford on March 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM

*sigh*

This is why we can’t have nice things, America. Politicians ain’t gonna fix what politicians broke.

gryphon202 on March 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM

No RINO KIng, we all know you wouldn’t want your inexplicably stupid staff to get caught!

redware on March 28, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I don’t trust internal investigations. I didn’t trust Clinton’s internal investigation on Benghazi that cleared her and I don’t trust Christie’s internal investigation. He may not be guilty, to be honest I hadn’t really thought about him in a while, but I’m still not going to vote for him.

magicbeans on March 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM