Video: Jazz Shaw on Scott Brown, Jeb Bush

posted at 8:01 am on March 25, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Our weekend editor Jazz Shaw made his national-television debut earlier today — and when I say earlier, I mean early. Jazz appeared on Morning Joe at such an early time that only Jeff Dunetz and a few million other people were on hand to witness it. Jazz discussed the remarkably tepid reception that Scott Brown has found with New Hampshire Republicans, and debated the potential for a Jeb Bush run for the 2016 GOP nomination with Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski. Jazz had the floor to himself, and made the most of it:

Perhaps Jazz will add his thoughts later. It was an excellent debut, though, so we can give him back his Bombay Sapphire now …

Comments

Neither …NO!

KOOLAID2 on March 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Scott Brown I can accept from Massachusetts, but can’t New Hampshire do better? (not a rhetorical question.)

Jeb Bush. I do not like political dynasties plus he’s pushing Common Core which from what I’ve read about — testing questions — is bad.

rbj on March 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Grats, Jazz!

dogsoldier on March 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Wow, on MSDNC with it’s 27 viewers..:)

idesign on March 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM

rbj on March 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM

The news this morning is Indiana dropped Common Core. I think you’ll see many more. And didn’t some states refuse it in the first place?

crankyoldlady on March 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Ed, Jazz was already lite on Bombay Saffire before facing off with Mika and her the of followers. :) well done Jazz!

simkeith on March 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

The fact that the Bushes and the Cllintons are still be considered as presidential candidates shows what a rut our nation is in.

HiJack on March 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Jazz’s wife knit Mika Mouth… gloves?
Jeb Bush…we consider a moderate …because of his fiscal spending?…not…. because he wants to make English… our second language?…sure!…nice job Jazz!

KOOLAID2 on March 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Uh, does Jazz read the same Hot Air I do? Because if he does, he must have missed the comments about the main objection to Jeb Bush being his stance on illegal immigration, not how he’d handle the debt.

Flora Duh on March 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Jazz, how much did you just want to answer their Jeb question with…. “because he’s a Bush!”

rightside on March 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I’m not surprised. He’s a carpetbagger (and from Massachusetts, which is the dominant source of local media — something that doesn’t sit well with New Hampshirites that can’t stand Massh*les’ sense of self-importance), and if he got into the senate he’d be the second or third most liberal Republican (behind Susan Collins and debatably McCain).

Jazz’s instincts on Jeb is mostly right, although it’s not really spending that I see other HotAir folks objecting to Jeb on. Certainly Jazz is right about dynastic issues, but amnesty tends to loom larger when it comes to conservative disgruntlement than spending. I found Scarborough’s description of Jeb as “extraordinarily conservative, moderately temperamental” to be a hoot though. Jeb has backed weaker criminal sentencing and for more prisoner rehab programs. His weakness on law & order comes off less as stemming from genuine conviction and more as political triangulation and making nice with the socially liberal cocktail crowd. It smells of opportunism.

Stoic Patriot on March 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM

So in return for this appearance, HotGas has to promise to embed Morning Shmoe videos for the next two years?

Myron Falwell on March 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM

crankyoldlady on March 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Good to hear. Common Core seems to have some weird ways of doing simple subtraction and when discussing the Second Amendment it ignores the actual text.

rbj on March 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I sure would not brag about being on Morning Joe. O well no one watches anyway

KBird on March 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Flora Duh on March 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

I agree. WTF?

BuckeyeSam on March 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Brown was seen as a carpetbagger just like Liz Chaney in WY. She thought she could ride her dad’s coattails but maybe the people there are more independent. He’s also seen as a loser to a fake Indian. Maybe he should look for a real job in his own back yard.

Kissmygrits on March 25, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Yes, a nod to the nut cases on this site.

rubberneck on March 25, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Pretty cool. Though I ain’t gonna’ give him any extra leeway over this.

cozmo on March 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM

The fact that the Bushes and the Cllintons are still be considered as presidential candidates shows what a rut decline our nation is in.

HiJack on March 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

msupertas on March 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM

a BIG congrats to Jazz. He’s (along with the help of his wife) won himself a well deserved spot, I’ll guarantee.

Darvin Dowdy on March 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Jeb Bush is a conservative? The history of his brother and father have determined that to be a lie.

I don’t think a conservative president with an R congress/senate is enough to undo the damage of 100+ years of progressivism.

tdarrington on March 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Jazz would be a nice full time fit there. He’d help to balance out the whole hipster look the two hosts have going.

Sober … more or less.

Ha!

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Call me when AP is on TV.

22044 on March 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Jazz should wear the hat if possible. Branding, right?

forest on March 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM

So this will no doubt be damning praise, coming from Brutus and all, but you’re the best of the H/A contributors, IMHO. Grats on a good appearance on MoJo.

MJBrutus on March 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Call me when AP is on TV.

22044 on March 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I thought he has been in the e-harmony ad with the cute gal enduring the speed-dating experience. He’s the guy who wants to tell her about his cat.

BuckeyeSam on March 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Congrats on your star debut Jazz…

I guess it was too early in the am to mention amnesty?

Nice of your wife to knit the gloves.

workingclass artist on March 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Flora Duh on March 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Amnesty and immigration.

AMNESTY AND IMMIGRATION.

AMNESTY AND IMMIGRATION!

I’m attributing this oversight to the early hour and a caffeine deficiency and resultant brain lock. No one who reads these pages could fail to realize that we’re a bunch of mean old absolutists when it comes immigration policy, illegals and amnesty, and it is very important to us.

Along with a lack of fiscal restraint, Common Core, and the fact that he is, well, another Bush. I don’t hole the Bush family name against him, but I think it poses BIG problems regarding electability. We can expect the sleaziest of smear campaigns from the democrat-fellating media, but they would go into overdrive on another Bush.

novaculus on March 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Call me when AP is on TV.

22044 on March 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

HA!

AP can tag team with Ace….and cats….

workingclass artist on March 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM

AMNESTY AND IMMIGRATION!

novaculus on March 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM

No to phony aristocratic political dynasties.

Glad that Jazz did say…”Another Bush or Clinton…C’mon”

workingclass artist on March 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Watching that, I get a very “Walter sobchak” look and vibe from jazz Shaw.

portlandon on March 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Stoic Patriot on March 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Not only ‘not really spending’, it’s not at ALL spending that folks object to re: Jeb.

Midas on March 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Great job! Jazz was sober and wearing makeup. Wonders never cease! :)
@debitking

Nelsa on March 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

rbj on March 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I see no evidence of New Hampshire doing “better”. In fact, what I’ve seen is NH going more liberal… which makes them mini-Ma$$holes.

rhombus on March 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Nice job, Jazz, and congrats on not screwing up your big debut! ;-)

flipflop on March 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM

crankyoldlady on March 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM

No, they didn’t. They renamed it with most of the same requirements, so they could continue to get the federal gravy train. The original bill was altered. Can’t seem to get the states off the government teat.

Deckard BR on March 25, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Flora Duh on March 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

He must be drunk. Plus, he ain’t nothing like what I pictured. Like the first time I saw a photo of steveegg . Nothing like what I envisioned.

This is, however, the first time I ever saw a PMSNBC segment ever! Had no clue what the hell Mika sounded like.

Lanceman on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 AM

That five minutes is the longest stretch I’ve watched Mika and Joe in a long time :)

Kudos to Jazz, always a class act. Being a Jets fan humbles a person…I know.

JetBoy on March 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Here we go again. Vote for anyone with a R next to their name because they are better than a Democrat. I can see this happening in the state races, but conservatives will not fall for that again in 2016.

lea on March 25, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Is it me or did it look like he hated every minute of it?

crrr6 on March 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Watching that, I get a very “Walter sobchak” look and vibe from jazz Shaw.

portlandon on March 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM

MARK IT ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crrr6 on March 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Good job, Jazz, but next time you get asked by a liberal twit about the 2016 presidential race and who the “hard core” conservative wingnuts like me would support, the best reply is that we’re not even looking at 2016 yet, and that we are focused like a laser on November 2014 and retaking the Senate and increasing the number of conservatives in the House. You can also add that most of us have a single objective right now and that is in stopping Obama from his continued attacks and destruction of the country and the Constitution, ASAP!

TXUS on March 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Stoic Idiot on March 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Ah, such a Fact-Free post…where to start?

Scott Brown is no “carpetbagger”; he’s owned a home in New Hampshire for decades and was born on the NH/Maine border. His dad worked at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Hillary Clinton, on the other hand…

Here in New Hampshire, there is such a thing as a liberal Republican. I am one of them. And will gladly vote for Brown if he decides to run.

The alternative is Fossil Bob Smith. Bob thanks you for your vote!

A+

Del Dolemonte on March 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM

The biggest news was that Jazz is a dude. I always just assumed “Jazz” was a woman for some reason.

In the words of Austin Powers, “It’s a man, baby!”

Toocon on March 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Deckard BR on March 25, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I was just repeating the news story. I guess I should have known better.

crankyoldlady on March 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

COL Brown has been disappointing.
“Guns are scary”
Seriously?
JAG Officers.
Jeesh.

Hotel1 on March 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Congrats Jazz Shaw..Well played sir..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Congrats Jazz Shaw..Very well played sir..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Congrats Jazz Shaw..Well played sir..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Congrats Jazz Shaw..Very well played sir..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Sorry..My bad..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM

If he was a conservative blogger he would never have been invited on the air.

peacenprosperity on March 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM

really weak response in regards to bush. pretty disappointing.

uatu1878 on March 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM

MJBrutus on March 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

“MoJo”???

The RINO is such a fan of MSNBC that he uses cutsie nicknames for their dreadful shows? Sadly, I am not that surprised by this.

Norwegian on March 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Jazz Shaw?

One RINO talking about two other RINOs?

Who would want to watch this?

What’s next, sissy bowling?

chuckh on March 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Congratulations, Jazz! Well done!

John the Libertarian on March 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM

HiJack on March 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Had no clue what the hell Mika sounded like.

Lanceman on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Even more stupid than Michelette.

Schadenfreude on March 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Live Free or Die

Good props for Hot Gas, indeed, repeatedly.

Jazz was Jazz, the RINO-man.

Schadenfreude on March 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM

At least now I understand why Jazz keeps quoting Scab-borough as if anyone here gives a fig.

Jaibones on March 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Spending?
Next time, try reading and understanding your readership. Better yet, send someone who know what the hell he’s talking about.

Cheese Wheel on March 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Ah, such a Fact-Free post…where to start?

The alternative is Fossil Bob Smith. Bob thanks you for your vote!

A+

Del Dolemonte on March 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM

He was a senator from Massachusetts. He moved. Now he’s running for the same office but for another state. Ergo, he’s a carpetbagger.

Congrats on openly declaring yourself a liberal Republican. Conservatives aren’t interested in seeing the GOP cater to you. Do yourself a favor, vote where your interests lie, and support the Democrat.

Stoic Patriot on March 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

That was rude, congratulations Jazz, but learn about your readership and their concerns before you announce it to the entire nation please.

Cheese Wheel on March 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Jazz != Electric

Sorry, Jazz. You’re great in print and like your rare appearances on TEMS, but oy, they need to spike your greenroom beverage with something. You looked and sounded to be about as excited as a child is in the car on the way to Church.

pvolcko on March 25, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Great debut, Jazz! Congrats!

GOPRanknFile on March 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM

More msnbc clips!!!!

JQA on March 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM

It’s nice that your wife made gloves for Mika, but why not a balaclava to cover her mouth completely?

Not really digging how you basically mocked “hard core conservatives” on a program full of progressive Constitution haters. There are so many reasons to disdain Jeb Bush in addition to spending. Anyone recall how he nixed offshore drilling, for starters?

Western_Civ on March 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

How can you be sure Jazz was sober?,…..you’ve never seen him sober before,…..and likely never will.

Offhanded on March 25, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Western_Civ on March 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Refuse to watch any clip with Waldo and the lady from House of Cards but if what you say is accurate Jazz may find himself on MSNBC more often. Congratulations, I guess.

JQA on March 25, 2014 at 4:27 PM

@ 3:35, what’s with the head tilt/air quotes/voice inflection ‘Hard Core Conservatives’? Wow, throw out a little more contempt while you’re at it.

I’d at least have asked Joe how the interns are treated on set. Booyah!!!

reddevil on March 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I’d at least have asked Joe how the interns are treated on set. Booyah!!!

reddevil on March 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM

If said people weren’t here reading and commenting, Jazz wouldn’t have a gig.

JQA on March 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM