Video: GOP Senate candidate from Iowa knows how to cut government, hog testicles

posted at 1:21 pm on March 25, 2014 by Allahpundit

Charles Cooke rightly calls it the greatest opening line to a campaign commercial ever. The last line’s cute too, although the temptation to say it while holding up a pair of shears must have been tremendous. That’s the tricky thing about castration humor: How far is too far? Is a sight gag ever acceptable? Having taken the plunge by introducing testicles into the discussion, how do you pull back from total scrotal commitment? These are questions every savvy political ad team must wrestle with.

There’s a method to this madness, too. If you’re trailing a better funded, more widely recognized opponent, your most urgent imperative is to make sure voters know who you are. They know now.

Gender issues aside, she faces something of an uphill climb, starting with winning her party’s nomination. A member of the Iowa state Senate since only 2011, the Red Oak lawmaker is one of six GOP candidates running to replace retiring Democrat Tom Harkin. The victor is expected to face Democratic U.S. Rep. Bruce Braley in the general election.

Endorsed last week by Mitt Romney — whom she supported in both 2008 and 2012 — Ernst has placed second in polls to primary opponent Marc Jacobs, trailing the former Reliant Energy CEO by seven percentage points. (Ernst’s campaign attributes Jacobs’ lead to his greater name identification among voters.)…

Nonetheless, she significantly trails her main GOP competitor for the Senate seat, Jacobs, in fundraising (and both of them are dwarfed by Braley’s haul, which tops $4 million for the current cycle). According to the Federal Electoral Commission, Jacobs had amassed contributions of more than $730,000 at year’s end, while Ernst reported just over $200,000. Ernst’s campaign points out, however, that Jacobs loaned or donated $521,000 of his own money to his coffers, and the candidate herself insists she’s not intimidated by her opponents’ deeper pockets.

My one criticism: She should have done more to highlight her bio. Per the RCP piece quoted above, she’s been in the Army Reserves for more than 20 years, which included a stint in Iraq, and is now a lieutenant colonel in the state National Guard. She’s also a state senator, a motorcycle fan, a lifetime member of the NRA, and a grandmother of six. (Yes, really.) Interesting candidate, and solid enough that Romney felt comfortable rolling the dice on her — but you don’t get much of that here. Maybe there’s no way around it given the time constraints; step one is to get voters’ attention, for instance by mentioning castration, and then once you have it you can proceed to step two, the full autobiographical ad. Keep an eye on her. If she wins, she’ll be the first woman from Iowa elected to Congress. (Yes, really.)

Comments

Damn fine candidate right here.

ToddPA on March 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Joni is great, I have been watching her…

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I think she’d be our best bet to knock off Braley. I hope she gets the nod.

GOPRanknFile on March 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

…how do you pull back from total scrotal commitment? These are questions every savvy political ad team must wrestle with.

AllahPundit’s opening paragraph here is an example of why I keep coming back to hotair. You’re not allowed to go on vacation again, ever. Just sayin’

Fenris on March 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM

This is exactly what we need more of.

Whitey Ford on March 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Cuts to the chase.

Goes balls to the walls in her message.

Doesn’t want to hog the limelight.

This race could be a referendum on squealing about entitlement versus cutting them right off.

Pless1foEngrish on March 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Somewhere right now, John McCain is very nervous.

Valkyriepundit on March 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Heard her ad on Glenn Beck this morning…

Here’s hoping she goes far for Iowa!!

Scrumpy on March 25, 2014 at 1:32 PM

One is reminded of Palin’s turkey decapitation machine video.

aquaviva on March 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Hey, I am wearing the exact same L.L. Bean sleeveless jacket, but in a large. Not sure what that says about me or her?

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Cuts to the chase.

Goes balls to the walls in her message.

Doesn’t want to hog the limelight.

Pless1foEngrish on March 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I like what you said, pretty funny and on the mark!! :)

Scrumpy on March 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Oh! That is hillarious and memorable. But you’re right the “cut the pork” thing while standing among hogs provided a subliminal message but her bio should have been emphasized more.

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Fenris on March 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Ace is a girl (or so I’ve been told)… from the etymology of that comment, I’m guessing allahpundit is too.

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 1:35 PM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM

It says… You got way to much money, and do not know what real hard work is… (or, that you just like silly cloths)

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM

There’s time for that. Now that she’s grabbed everyone’s attention, she can emphasize her bio more.

GOPRanknFile on March 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

That squeal is heavenly. If only,….

butch on March 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM

[Harry Reid subconsciously reaches down and checks......]

BobMbx on March 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Letting her loose on the Senate floor with her sheers and heading after Reid, Schumer, Leahy, Sanders, etc – is cause enough to vote for her….

Athos on March 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Somewhere, Carlos Danger is flinching…

Roy Rogers on March 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Chuckle! Negative on the first two and the wife bought the jacket and thus guilty on the third. Gots me share of Carhartt jackets. On the hard work part…will finish framing up my 50′ x 60′ shed this weekend and will be setting the steel trusses Saturday morning if it does not rain (friction rigs and rain not a great idea).

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I’d vote for her solely on that ad alone…

PatriotRider on March 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Damn fine candidate right here.

ToddPA on March 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Joni is great, I have been watching her…

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I think she’d be our best bet to knock off Braley. I hope she gets the nod.

GOPRanknFile on March 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

C’mon you guys. You’re supposed to be conducting a War on Wimminses, not promoting them to equality. Well, maybe if she is elected they’ll at least pay her less than they paid Harkin.

Sheesh. And you guys call yourselves Conservatives.

NOMOBO on March 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM

The important question: Does she know how to cut Democrat Senate testicles?

applebutter on March 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM

[Harry Reid subconsciously reaches down and checks......]

BobMbx on March 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Checks what, exactly? His socks?

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 1:35 PM

If that’s a play for sympathy and more vacation time, keep in mind that most here are black hearted conservatives with no souls. And the thought of Harry Reid and castration doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Fenris on March 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I wonder how hog girl feels about corn subsidies.

MJBrutus on March 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Best line of the post:
“retiring Democrat Tom Harkin.”

Snaqwels on March 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Sheesh. And you guys call yourselves Conservatives.

NOMOBO on March 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Well, I do wonder why somebody is that dressed that nicely with make-up to stand among hog pens. That help? ;0

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Endorsed last week by Mitt Romney — whom she supported in both 2008 and 2012

Severely Conservative candidate?

/s

cs89 on March 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I wonder how hog girl feels about corn subsidies.

MJBrutus on March 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM

It’s Iowa. Republican or Democrat, they’re all hopelessly addicted to farm subsidies.

Happy Nomad on March 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I was born in northwestern Iowa, my was dad was born/ parents met and married in Davenport.
My birth state is certainly…unique

annoyinglittletwerp on March 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Braley Scoffs: Grassley Just An Iowa Farmer Who Never Went To Law School

Flora Duh on March 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM

For leftists, this is a minus, if you are a R.

And this.

But, it’s a total plus if you are a D-rat.

Senator John Walsh, Democrat of Montana, second from left, at a Senate National Guard Caucus breakfast in Washington. He was appointed last month to the seat vacated by Max Baucus and is running for election in November, hoping that his career in uniform remains an asset.

Schadenfreude on March 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM

AP a woman? This long-time reader says “clearly, no.” He may be anonymous, but his beta-maleness is the real McCoy.

G. Charles on March 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Of course she is getting ripped for the ad. Too bad she did not say something far more realistic and reasonable like “Hi I’m Joni Ernst, elect me and I will heal the planet and stop the oceans from rising.”

Borgcube on March 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Borgcube on March 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Bet she doesn’t claim to be 1/32 something

Roy Rogers on March 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The commercial is a loser on many fronts. Even in, or perhaps especially in, Iowa.

You have to have a name brand in modern politics but if the first name your brand evokes is “hog castration”, it’s not a happy connection.

And Iowa just isn’t that conservative. I’m trying to imagine the state where a woman gets elected with a commercial like this one. Maybe it could happen in a primary where all the other candidates destroy each other with negative ads and then the obscure woman candidate comes out of nowhere to win. This was the scenario when Deb Fischer beat the current and former AG in Nebraska in the Senate primary. Fischer’s opponents each had a different set of big-money Tea Party backers and endorsers and used big out-of-state negative ad campaigns against each other, making each other toxic to the voters. Fischer only got a last-minute endorsement by Palin and won. She never had the funds in the primary to throw mud like the two AGs did.

And Iowa is a lot more liberal than Nebraska with a lot more Democrats.

There’s something cringe-worthy of this ad, much like the Christine O’Donnell I-Am-Not-A-Witch ad.

Toocon on March 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Love it.

Midas on March 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I wonder if any pigs were harmed in making this ad. PETA is going to be sooo mad.

HellCat on March 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM

ROTFLMAO… Oh come on… how difficult can it be to put up a tarp and shout instruction to the real men building your shed while drinking a beer in the rain… Under the tarp… :P

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Sheesh. And you guys call yourselves Conservatives.

NOMOBO on March 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Somebody has to make the coffee in the caucus room…..

BobMbx on March 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM

The voters she’s trying to reach may not be as squeamish about castration talk as your average East coast blogger.

katiejane on March 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

The important question: Does she know how to cut Democrat Senate testicles?

applebutter on March 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM

At this point, I’d trust a Republican Woman over a man
in the political Arena any day….

ToddPA on March 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

At this point, I’d trust a Republican Woman over a man
in the political Arena any day….

ToddPA on March 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

She likely has more balls than most of the Republican senators up there at the moment, anyway.

Midas on March 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM

ROTFLMAO… Oh come on… how difficult can it be to put up a tarp and shout instruction to the real men building your shed while drinking a beer wine cooler in the rain… Under the tarp… :P

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM

C’mon – we’re talking about a lib here… ;)

Midas on March 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM

A “large” ? ! . . . . . You’ve got a ways to go, to catch up to this3X-large’.

But I personally don’t recommend anyone becoming this FAT (corpulent, obese, “tubby”). It would be much better if I came down to your “large”.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM

C’mon – we’re talking about a lib here… ;)

Midas on March 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM

ROTFLMAO HonestLib is about as Liberal as Obama is honest…

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

The important question: Does she know how to cut Democrat Senate testicles?

applebutter on March 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM

At this point, I’d trust a Republican Woman over a man
in the political Arena any day….

ToddPA on March 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Cutting the testicles off of Democrat male politicians is Hillary’s specialty.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM

ToddPA on March 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Cutting the testicles off of Democrat male politicians is Hillary’s specialty.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM

It takes a miracle worker to cut the testicles off a male Democrat. <— Insert evil maniacal laughter here…

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 2:15 PM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Shed ? … 50′ x 60′ is a small barn, or “out-building”.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I wonder who is responsible for the commercial. They should be hired by anyone who is running for something.

crankyoldlady on March 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Toocon on March 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I don’t think so. I think it definitely will appeal to women (particularly Conservative women) who have a strong independent streak. We like “outside the box”, individualistic, strong-willed traits.

lineholder on March 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Toocon on March 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I couldn’t disagree more. The O’Donnell ad was an act of desperation when she realized that not even Republicans were taking her seriously anymore. That ad was lambasted almost immediately. This ad by Ernst is a charming, lighthearted ad that is being used to introduce her to the electorate.

GOPRanknFile on March 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I love it! Castrate Washington. This is good stuff. If she stands behind it, it will work for her.

rrpjr on March 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Toocon on March 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Ridiculous. Wholly different personality and circumstance. That was defensive. This is proactive and vividly appropriate by striking collective consciousness of disgust.

rrpjr on March 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

My one criticism: She should have done more to highlight her bio.

Not in a 30-second commercial, she shouldn’t. Consumer research shows consistently that viewers are capable of absorbing a total of one idea in a :30, which is what her commercial was. Anything more turns the whole spot into indecipherable audio/video mush.

Maybe if she can raise more than that $200,000 she’ll be able to produce another commercial that, more conventionally for the political category, gets into her bio.

bgoldman on March 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

If lived in Iowa, I’d hit the voting booth, hold on to mis cojones and pull the lever for her!

vnvet on March 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Candidate? It’s a shame she’s married.

If that’s how they are growing them in Iowa. I’m packing my bags and heading to the Heartland.

And by the way. If Joni gets elected she’ll have more stones than at least half the Republicans in Washington.

Marcus Traianus on March 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM

She’s right. Having castrated my fair share of little piggy’s. No offense to my favorite little piggy arnold. They mainly squeal because you have picked them up, turned them upside down and are holding their head between your knees. The two quick slices of the sack hardly seems to phase them. Set em down and off they run. Happy as pigs in………

Go Joni!!!! Make em squeal real good!

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

…hope she kicks his ba11s!

KOOLAID2 on March 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Scadenscrotum?

BlueStateExpat on March 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Many of ‘em. Iowa still has more than its share of progressives. I have an Iowan cousin-in-law farmer proof of that. Voted for Bammy, twice.

hawkeye54 on March 25, 2014 at 4:23 PM

We need more like her and less of the castrated establishment elitist Republicans in DC.

hawkeye54 on March 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I love it! Castrate Washington.

Many of the GOP in DC already are. Those that are need to be retired.

hawkeye54 on March 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Go Joni!!!! Make em squeal real good!

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Have you seen Mike Rowe’s TED talk?

The nation needs more horse sense like this guy’s.

Murphy9 on March 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

The important question: Does she know how to cut Democrat Senate testicles?

applebutter on March 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM

First, she has to find them.

Mirimichi on March 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM

So I am supposed to be excited by a candidate who voted for Romney twice and is endorsed by Romney?

Of course, I have no clue about the other 5 candidates in Iowa either.

KMav on March 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Of course, I have no clue about the other 5 candidates in Iowa either.

KMav on March 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Nikki Haley seems to be a pretty darn good Governor, and she endorsed Romney twice and was endorsed by him.

GOPRanknFile on March 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM

If she can do to donkeys what she does to hogs, I say send her to DC – with nice new sharp set of shears….

dentarthurdent on March 25, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Let us know when she comes out against corporate welfare AKA farm subsidies.

JQA on March 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Murphy9 on March 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I have not seen that. Ted is a regular part of my internet stuff as well, not sure how I missed it. I’ll watch now. Thanks Murph! ; )

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM

You are in for a real er, treat! :)

Murphy9 on March 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Fenris on March 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM

That there is some fine writin’ skills! lmao

Fenris, your right, that was priceless.

captnjoe on March 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Perhaps the argument against ethanol subsidies should be that it makes feed prices too high. That hinders bacon production. Do I need a fuel additive that degenerates the engine of my car, or a BLT? For god’s sake there is a looming bacon crisis here in America!

Cliff by the Ford on March 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Murphy9 on March 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Very good! Mike does the whole castration thingy a wee bit, (a lot different), than we did. Guess the end result is comparable though. I get him on the deep sea thingy. Been there done that. Can’t help wondering though if’n Albert didn’t pull a fast one on Mike. Lolz!!! ; ) Thanks Murph, really enjoyed it!

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM

ToddPA on March 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Cutting the testicles off of Democrat male politicians is Hillary’s specialty.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM

oscarwilde on March 25, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Don’t forget Jessah Jacksum talking about Barry.

slickwillie2001 on March 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM

G. Charles on March 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I always thought AP was a guy too. Male or female, AP is my favorite blogger.

cat_owner on March 25, 2014 at 8:13 PM

She seems like a great candidate. I hope Sarah endorses her.

cat_owner on March 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Never thought I’d fall in love over a political ad.

And with a Lt. Colonel, yet.

fred5678 on March 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Have you seen Mike Rowe’s TED talk?
The nation needs more horse sense like this guy’s.
Murphy9 on March 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

That was really good.

AH_C on March 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Just saw this at Breitbart. Sarah is planning on endorsing conservative women very soon. I would think Joni will almost certainly be one of her endorsements.

cat_owner on March 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM

“Total scrotal” – wow, that Allahpundit sure can turn a phrase!

earlgrey on March 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Ah, she is proof again that Repub women are beautiful and smart. Hope she wins because IA needs to wake up and smell the coffee as they are getting insulted on all sides by the Demos.

Roselle on April 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM