Endgame: Girl suspended from school for shaving head … in solidarity with classmate who has cancer

posted at 4:01 pm on March 25, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Blaze, I’m always weirdly impressed in stories like this one, or the ones where some kid gets suspended for biting his Pop Tart into the shape of a gun or whatever, by the sheer perseverance of the school administrators. Even if they’re such unholy hard-asses that they’d prefer to enforce the letter of the law against well-meaning naifs, you would think the looming PR disaster in doing so would warn them away from it. Simple self-interest in the Facebook age dictates that you don’t kick a five-year-old out of school for going “bang bang” with his breakfast pastry, even if you want to, and you certainly don’t bring down the hammer on a kid who’s trying to ease the suffering of a classmate who has cancer. Imagine you’re the principal, having just read this quote in the paper, and deciding that this head-shaving punk needs to sweat it out for awhile:

Kamryn decided to have a big makeover — shaving off all of her hair in solidarity with a friend who was starting chemotherapy to treat cancer.

“I was really excited I would have somebody to support me and I wouldn’t be alone with people always laughing at me. I would at least have somebody to go through it all,” says Delaney, who just began chemotherapy.

Game, set, match, right? Time to cave! Nope: Kamryn was forced to spend Monday on the playground instead of in class because school rules ban shaved heads in the name of “safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school’s students.” Then, after a wholly predictable firestorm online yesterday, the school finally did cave (turns out there are exceptions to the dress code in “extraordinary circumstances”) and let her back in today. The school’s board of directors is meeting within the next hour or two to decide the important question of whether classroom decorum can survive having two bald girls in class instead of one. How will this completely unnecessary publicity trainwreck end? The suspense mounts, my friends.

What if, against all odds, the board upholds the suspension, forcing Kamryn to stay home until her hair grows back? I bet some extreme law-and-order types would appreciate that, albeit with misgivings about an unduly heavy sentence. Rules are rules, damn it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

facepalm.
Oh well.

verbaluce on March 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I’m not surprised.
You’re clearly too stupid to understand just how stupid you really are.

dentarthurdent on March 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

snotty obfuscation.

kingsjester on March 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

You nailed it. That is a strong contributing factor in my determination of idiot vs: ignorant. Ignorant is simply a lack of knowledge. Idiot… well, we have a living definition in verby.

captnjoe on March 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM

If you want to know the real truth – the real real truth – I’m just telling what I think about all this.

verbaluce on March 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM

… and we are telling you what we think. If your accused of parroting OFA talking points, and you have no knowledge of them, perhaps you should do a little research and enlighten yourself.

captnjoe on March 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

The right is on a schools and teacher bashing quest – so you are hearing a lot about these infrequent anomalies…via The Blaze…or Breitbart…or HA…or Malkin.

verbaluce on March 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM

No, we are on a strip away the lies, obfuscation, and cover up quest. The target, as is often the case, a self entitled public school administrator acting out the progressive agenda.

Key word above: public, as in government operated.

Tell us, why do we never hear tales of utter stupidity coming from private schools?

captnjoe on March 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Give a small person a little power and this is what happens.

V7_Sport on March 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM

V7

Ain’t that the truth.

captnjoe on March 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Do these principals realize that they look like they failed to achieve their life goal of mall cop?

msr on March 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM

We get it. Schools can be stupid. So are left and right wing sites that google and find these rare stories.

Today’s right right blogs feature this one.

Today’s left wing blogs feature something similarly STUPID.

Christian School Tells Eight-Year-Old Girl She Looks Too Much Like A Boy

“You’re probably aware that Timberlake Christian School is a religious, Bible believing institution providing education in a distinctly Christian environment,” the letter read.

According to WSET, the letter “goes on to say that students have been confused about whether Sunnie is a boy or girl and specifies that administrators can refuse enrollment for condoning sexual immorality, practicing a homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity.”

An administrator at Timerblake told WSET that the problems go “far beyond [Kahle's] hair length” and that certain “things disturbed the classroom environment.”

stingray9813 on March 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Give a small person a little power and this is what happens.

V7_Sport on March 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yup. Petty people and their little empires. It’s why bureaucracy is so dangerous.

rrpjr on March 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM

It’s not an epidemic or an agenda.

verbaloon on March 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Wrong on Door 2, Monte!

F-

Del Dolemonte on March 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Caprock academy is one of those charter schools isn’t it?

brushingmyhair on March 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM

verbaluce on March 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Wellllll Verbaluce……….. I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that most public schools (and a lot of private ones also) are run by those of the LIBERAL persuasion. Teachers and administrators are different now then they were a generation ago, and not for the better. New math, overkill on anti-bullying, a medal for every kid every time, green tableware in the cafeteria– all touchy-feely liberal stuff that always seems to backfire.

As far as trying to explain how to exploit that for political gain- who knows what the administrator there was thinking? Who can explain the logic used (and I use that term loosely) when these people try to reason. Maybe it’s the same type of reasoning Reid tried when he called cancer survivors liars, or that the chick from MSNBC used when she thought it would be funny to ridicule the Romneys for adopting an African-American child.

ImmigrantsWife on March 25, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I suppose you violate murder and pedophilia moral/legal laws on a daily basis then, because, after all, “rules are made to be broken.”

Federati on March 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Certainly you are not so stupid as to not be able to differentiate between laws and rules and between what is common sense and nonsense, right?

Let me answer that for you, no you are not. You are the quintessential product of the public education system, does as he’s told and never questions authority.

Neitherleftorright on March 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM

From another HA thread this afternoon…enjoy!

You all should thank me. My presence here raises the IQ of this forum by at least 75 points.

antifederalist on March 25, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 25, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Believing that guns cause shootings, is just an expulsion away from believing that shaved heads cause cancer.

elfman on March 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM

What a bunch of maroonies!!!

Would they ban this guy if he showed up at their school?

Every kid in that school should shave their head.

Bunch of jackasses.

patch on March 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Verbal you’re a pos.

CW on March 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM

So how long would Kamryn’s hair have to be before they would deign to allow her back?

jix on March 25, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Allah, you normal writing style changed a bit in this article. I’m curious. Were you a little more emotionally connected to this story?

hawkdriver on March 25, 2014 at 7:52 PM

“your” normal …

hawkdriver on March 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM

(KMOV) – A mother trying to pick her special needs son up from school winds up in handcuffs and puts the school on lockdown.
The furious mother came to News 4 claiming the school handled things all wrong.
The incident took place at Walnut Groves Elementary School on Thursday when the mother came to help her son.
“I was lying in bed when I received a frantic phone call from the teacher, Michael was panicking,” said Niakea Williams.

Verbal WTF!

CW on March 25, 2014 at 8:06 PM

As a HS teacher in a rural area in ND, I of course, find this hideously awful.
However, when you have morns running most of the systems, and by morons, I am including not only administrators and teachers, as well as other staff, I am also including the school board and the entire communities of these places.
Bcs you see, none of this BS ever happens without some reason. Public screwls have become the dumping ground for little $hit$ who have parents who refuse to parent.
Society then forces US, public screwl employees, to raise the little $hit$ instead of teach them.
No don’t get me wrong, I have ZERO discipline problems. ZERO.In 13 years I’ve handled every issue on my own.
But the kids I teacher are overwhelmingly better behaved than you’ll find elsewhere.
Bcs of the oilfield fallout, we are getting people from other places who do not seem to share our rural values. Hence, there are more problems. But all in all, I see really a trend of $hitty parents, even here in Rural Land, who more & more often blame ME for the fact their child does not learn, does not do their HW, picks on some kid, etc.
‘Bullying’, and other inappropriate behaviors happen when you have WEAK LEADERS.
I one screwl I teach in, the administration is so incompetent I could puke. In the other, AWESOME.
Still, I have ZERO discipline problems in BOTH places.
But in the one $hitty place, I am hung out to dry very often. And it’s tiresome bcs I already know I am a good teacher.
Children respect me. They may not like me, & in fact I am sure more than a few probably hate my guts, but I could care less. Bcs by God they’ll learn something by the time I am done with them, even if it is to sit down, STFU, and quit bothering other people who want to learn.
Of course I don’t say those things to them.
But they understand I am that old dog you just do not pi$$ off.
You leave me along, I leave you alone.
Don’t do your work.You fail?
Want to graduate? Well you have to pass Biology & Physical Science. And since I teach those two things, guess you ought to do your work.
End of story.

Badger40 on March 25, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Well, ‘uniformity’, thee you go.

‘Nuff said.

socalcon on March 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Yup.
But this article is about school administrators who don’t have enough common snese to understand their own rules and when to apply an exception, s allowed for in their rules.

But since you’re a “rules are rules” kinda guy, I would expect you to follow your orders to the letter – and stay put.

dentarthurdent on March 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM

The problem. As I said above. LACK OF QUALITY LEADERSHIP.
The rules are rules people can FO.
Seriously, I know when in my classroom to apply a rule & when not to. It’s not playing favorites when I do it.
There’s a real common sense reason.
ONe size does not fit all, but lawsuits & crazy a-holes in the world are what makes dumba$$ administrators act out like this.
Bcs they are cowards who are afraid to lead. IT really is that simply.
I say this as a public screwl teacher who has seen my share of worthless colleagues.
It seems as though the proportion of worthless individuals in my profession is quite high. But then I find that to be the same of humanity as well.

Badger40 on March 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Every kid in that school should shave their head.
patch on March 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM

That is an excellent idea..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

End of story.

Badger40 on March 25, 2014 at 8:07 PM

You reminded me of Dennis Prager’s show today in which they were talking about parenting and the idea the ” G-d is love. Some of the show had to do with the constant praising of kids today as well as the showering of kids with ” I love you” -s. He makes the point that in our efforts to raise self-esteem have actually ruined it in many kids. Giving praise when not deserved and cheapening it only reduces the power of the praise. In fact, kids at some poin’t will not even notice it when it is warranted. One young man called in to make the point that he rarely heard his parents say they loved him but he knew it by the way they treated him. He also made the point that with kids these days they are often told too often that G-d is love to a level in which they assume their behavior no longer matters.

Kids do better when they learn respect , love, and taught that actions matter.

CW on March 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM

CW on March 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM

EXACTLY. I agree with all you said there. I do not excessively praise my students. In fact, I’m very frugal with it.
When I give it, it should mean something.
Even the kids that don’t like me I can tell feel good when Mrs. Badger gives them some praise.

Badger40 on March 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Every kid in that school should shave their head.
patch on March 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM

That is an excellent idea..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

The teachers ought to as well.

Badger40 on March 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

The teachers ought to as well.

Badger40 on March 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Yes they should..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

stingray9813 on March 25, 2014 at 7:1

9 PM

_Thanks for that ONE.

It’s not even close dimwit.Not at all.

CW on March 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Knew before I clicked in here that some unadulterated f*ckwit of a liberal troll would have already stunk the place up with their ‘pearls of wisdom’.

Midas on March 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM

The scary part is that those unthinking ASSES are “educating” our children.

GarandFan on March 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

What is wrong with these people?

dpduq on March 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Obviously a liberal administration with the typical no tolerance approach to anything that might require a bit of common sense and a moment of logical thought. I can’t tell you how many of these idiots I have seen in my teaching career. As amazing as this statement may seem referring to an elementary principal, this one has no understanding of the mind of a young child works. I would not be surprised if this principal agreed with the liberal view point that a child is just a small adult without the learning experience.

A principal had the responsibility to maintain discipline in the school and support his teachers if there is a discipline problem in their classroom that requires in intervention.

The classroom teacher’s first responsibility is to maintain discipline in their classrooms to insure a safe learning environment. Only if he or she were unable to handle that primary task would the principal have warrant to become involved.

In this case the problem would best have been dealt with by the classroom teacher. Having taught this age group, a simple explanation by the teacher of the situation, and reason for the friends show of support would have most likely been the end of it. Handled correctly by the teacher the issue of bullying would also be snipped in the bud.

The principal should have not become involved until there was a need for his involvement in this situation, which as stated, was only a concern of classroom disruption by a student being different, in a non distracting way I should add.

Obviously this lack of understanding of how children think and interact with peers extends to the school board. I cannot tell you how many times I have killed my district’s and a few principals, grand schemes just by pointing out that lack of understanding of children and classrooms.

On another level the school district and principal at the very least, show a clear intent of sexual discrimination against a female child that chose not to have hair as opposed to one who colored her hair bright pink, blue or purple, or fixed it in sharp foot long spikes. Had this been a young male student who shaved his head, and his friend did the same, that same principal would not have seen a problem with it. The school board might even have taken a dim view if he complained about it.

But such is the narrow view of the liberal left. If it is not broke, give them a moment and they will find a way to destroy it beyond any recognition of what it had been before.

Franklyn on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Man, I am doing something wrong. Ole’ Verbs makes a dumb post and gets a hundred replies. Me….. I make a hundred brilliant posts and get ONE reply maybe. Pffttt…..some smart Honest Liberal I am. I will show you guys…I am going out back; drill a hole in my head; shop vac out half my brain; become as smart as ole’ Verby; make one dumb post….and watch the replies roll in! See how smart I am?

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

“…in the name of safety, uniformity, and a nn-distracting environment…”

Uniformity? Seriously? What’s next? Required classes in the goose-step march?

idalily on March 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Take pride in that. It means that we don’t think of you badly (FTR, you are one of the best liberals ive ever met).

nobar on March 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM

You know, you should read more about this incident before commenting further.

verbaluce on March 25, 2014 at 6:29 PM

In fairness, I concede that in this example, the written rule was not a “zero tolerance policy”, as others have already pointed out. It was sloppy to refer to a “zero tolerance policy” in this one instance, since unlike the other example I posted, the rule here was merely enforced as though it was a zero tolerance policy. So, unlike most examples of “zero tolerance”-stupidity, here the only culprit was the administration, rather than the more common situation, in which idiots on a school board or local government enact a zero tolerance rule, and then equally petty administrators choose to abide by it.

So technically, you’re right, here we are dealing with a different species of “zero tolerance”. I should not have said “policy” here. If you read my previous comments you would observe that I was not objecting to the rule per se, only the zero-tolerance enforcement. I suppose since I was also discussing other examples of zero tolerance where it was actually written into the regulations, I conflated the two situations by mistake.

But how does that have anything to do with the substance of the argument? Are you honesty suggesting that this is not a symptom of the exact same ridiculous mindset behind zero-tolerance policies? If not, then what is your point?

RINO in Name Only on March 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM

What is wrong with these people?

dpduq on March 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM

It’s simple… and so are they.

What you have is a school that now has 5-6 administrators where in the 1970′s it would have 1, or maybe 1 per 2 schools.

These administrators have to “justify” their paycheck, so they come up with rules… and the rules get more convoluted and detailed and specific every iteration to justify more paychecks.

And to make sure they’re not considered “needless” they nitpick anyone who doesn’t follow their rules to the letter; to the point where the school teachers and non-administrators have learned “don’t ask questions, don’t think, just follow the rules unthinkingly to avoid trouble”.

So they quit thinking. They quit using common sense, they found out being smart and right doesn’t count as “correct” and will cause trouble… they just don’t think because that’s the only safe option.

Then hundreds of parents send them their children, hoping their children will learn to think from people who have been taught NOT to think.

Zero-tolerance, zero-thought, zero-common-sense… that’s how schools work now. But at least they cost more than twice as much (inflation adjusted per student) with all the administrators, and they really need more money to hire more administrators.

And THAT is “what is wrong with these people”.

And verbulace… this isn’t a left/right problem, but it is a small organization/bureaucracy problem. Which side pushes for more bureaucracy and power for the highest level of government with more “one size fits nobody” policies that end up implemented without thought or common sense?

That’s why the left gets the brunt of these stories pounded at them; they’re under the impression big, complicated, and bureaucratic is how things should be run… and they all end up run without thought, common sense, or anything but a desire to justify the bureaucracy itself.

It always seems to work out this way, and always seems to shock the people who thought the bureaucracy was “there to help”.

It might have started off as “there to help” once upon a time, but now it’s just there to complicate things enough to justify itself and it’s own bloated staff and payroll.

You see it in business, you see it in government… I bet if you got a chance to look at the details you’d see it in the larger Church organizations, or the larger more complex non-profits. You definitely see it at larger colleges.

It’s a byproduct of what happens when a bureaucracy grows up… it breaks itself. It always happens, but we have to act shocked every time?

People wonder why some are for “small government”? This is why… large government = bureaucracy = this stupid crap… every time. Once you’ve seen it you either realize it’s going to happen every time; or you deny reality and try to live on “hope” that this time might be different.

SPOILER: This time won’t be different. Sorry to ruin that for everyone.

gekkobear on March 26, 2014 at 12:27 AM

“Rules are rules” … except when it comes to immigration.
“It’s for the children!”
[...and all the Americans who are 'too good' to mow lawns]

RedManBlueState on March 26, 2014 at 12:54 AM

As I suspected:

“The wearing of clothing, jewelry, or a style of grooming that is identified with membership in a gang will not be tolerated in school or at any school-sponsored activity.” –page 30 Caprock Academy 2013-2014 Handbook

Probably in response to the suspicion that the area Posse Comitatas or Aryans will be sending their spawn to Caprock. There was a race-motivated beating in Grand Junction in ’97 and no doubt the SLP Hate List is bookmarked and ready for reference. The manual makes no reference to exceptions other than medical or religious, offering application for a waiver, and “group” exceptions, such as Scouting and the like. It says the board supports the Dean of Students’ discretion, none of which was used.

Lots of grad-school thinking went into this one. Really, what is a buzz cut anyway? My 11-year old has always had one and that doesn’t make him an Aryan. That’s what this is all about and why they were firm. They were just sure! this would lead to roving gangs of whiteys and missing broom handles. We have to clamp down on symptoms lest they lead to causes!

winoceros on March 26, 2014 at 1:14 AM

And as to “understanding” and “pitchforks,” it is the politburo who did not exercise understanding and took out the pitchforks against kind little girls.

You’re the only one defending a rationale you failed to investiate but castigated righties for asking that common sense be exercised.

winoceros on March 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM

The 9-yr old (Kamryn) exhibited far more humanity, compassion, intelligence, empathy etc., etc., than all of the (NOT) adults at the school.

Please FIRE all of the adults in the school. Do not pass GO. What a bunch of imbeciles, who had their collective clocks cleaned by Kamryn. And to think these are the morons teaching kids.

’nuff said.

rightwink on March 26, 2014 at 2:18 AM

So a bunch of (NOT) adults got powned by a 9-yr old Kamryn!

Is there a direct phone # for the principal?

rightwink on March 26, 2014 at 2:34 AM

>>>

Board Biographies
Catherine Norton-Breman
If you would like to speak to the Chair of the Board of Directors, please contact Catherine Norton Breman at: cnortonbremancaprock@yahoo.com.

rightwink on March 26, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Just another one of the predictable “blue state” headlines.

cajunpatriot on March 26, 2014 at 8:47 AM

verbaluce on March 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM

“Infrequent anomalies”? It’s something nearly every day. Let’s ask the general public of their opinion of that Dem-dominated NEA lib-cash-cow-operated public education establishment. See, the problem for you is that “the right” usually makes up at least about 60% of the public on most issues. That’s why the TP has to be portrayed as about 14 or 15 neo-Nazis living under a bridge somewhere.

ddrintn on March 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Well, HL…I was wondering how long you’d manage before you dropped the mask. Then you just rip it off in a fit…ha.
All right…well at least you’re actually being honest now.

verbaluce on March 26, 2014 at 9:32 AM

RINO in Name Only on March 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM

A sincere thanks and props for that.
I’m fine being challenged – even disparaged – but it’s so much more worthy when it comes from an accurate summation of what I am actually saying.

verbaluce on March 26, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Where is the common sense?

In my book the little girl who did this for her friend is pretty darn awesome. It makes me cry. I’m proud of her regardless of what the school board decides.

magicbeans on March 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM

” Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

falcaner on March 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Let’s not exercise judgement in our system, for so doing means a public functionary could make a bad decision and be punished for it in some way. Therefore, it is better for THEM to have uniformity and “zero tolerance” rules that they blindly enforce to protect THEMSELVES from decision making.

Alles in ordnung!!

EasyEight on March 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Craprock is a bully.

Wade on March 26, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Her detention will include living in a hot box for a week, singing the Obama song over and over.

trl on March 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Under the circumstances, that arch with “Caprock Academy” sort of invites an “Arbeit Macht Frei,” doesn’t it?

PersonFromPorlock on March 26, 2014 at 11:18 AM

We now have spineless administrators who follow the letter of the law/rules because they fear lawsuits and to avoid them they can hide behind the law/rules. I don’t know the solution but we are seeing the result of decades of lawsuit lawlessness.

amr on March 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Exactly, what was the dress code? Did it specify lengths of one genders hair to be to allow visually identifying a child’s gender, then you would have a possible case for discrimination based on ones appearance.

Also, did the “Dress Code” have any prohibition against wearing wigs, which many female cancer patients use until their hair grows back? If it did, then the prohibition would allow bare heads (shaved or not).

MSGTAS on March 26, 2014 at 2:09 PM

HonestLib on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Relax, Honest Lib. Believe me, just because one here gets few replies doesn’t mean that one’s comments are ignored.

ddrintn on March 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM

^ To put it another way, Lib, I’d rather not get replies at all rather than go through about 20 comment exchanges with some idiot whose only “argument” is “you’re a nutball”. I read your comments, and though we disagree on a lot, your comments are usually well-thought out and insightful.

ddrintn on March 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Because that’s the American way? Conform or face punishment?

So, if you’re the only black kid in the class, do they expect you to bleach your hair and skin?

Or if you’re the only boy in class, you have to wear fingernail polish and a skirt?

If you are better looking than the rest of the students, do you have to get an ugly scar carved across your cheek to compensate?

s1im on March 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM