Two UK hospitals incinerated the remains of dead babies for heat

posted at 11:21 am on March 24, 2014 by Allahpundit

Another 10 hospitals incinerated remains as part of standard garbage disposal protocol. Treat the unborn as “medical waste” and don’t be surprised when some facilities take that idea to its logical conclusion.

The Telegraph’s headline implies that incineration was reserved for aborted babies, as some sort of final ghoulish indignity for the unwanted, but the story says the policy was broader than that. Miscarried fetuses ended up being burned too.

Last night the Department of Health issued an instant ban on the practice which health minister Dr Dan Poulter branded ‘totally unacceptable.’…

One of the country’s leading hospitals, Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge, incinerated 797 babies below 13 weeks gestation at their own ‘waste to energy’ plant. The mothers were told the remains had been ‘cremated.’

Another ‘waste to energy’ facility at Ipswich Hospital, operated by a private contractor, incinerated 1,101 foetal remains between 2011 and 2013.

They were brought in from another hospital before being burned, generating energy for the hospital site. Ipswich Hospital itself disposes of remains by cremation.

How do you process this story if you’re a pro-choicer? I can imagine three camps. One is the “so what?” group. If “life” doesn’t begin until viability (or birth, for the hardcore abortion warrior), then yeah, this is medical waste. You don’t cremate tumors, do you? Toss it in the incinerator. Next is the group that wants to distinguish between miscarried babies and the aborted. The parents of the former saw a life in the making even if pro-choicers didn’t; the remains should thus be treated with due decorum, as a consolation to the bereaved. The remains of the aborted needn’t be similarly respected. Finally, there’s the group that’s uncomfortable with treating fetal remains as waste (or fuel) under any circumstances. I don’t know how to square that with the idea that life begins at viability, though. To do it, you need to move from the standard pro-choice position that what’s growing in the womb isn’t really “life” to the position that yes, okay, it’s human life, but abortion is a form of justifiable homicide. Then you can treat the remains with the dignity due, say, an executed prisoner. But most pro-choicers are obviously reluctant to make that move; once you concede that a life is at stake, you’re on dangerous ground politically.

Anyway, question for our three lefty readers: Which group are you in?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Why did my saying that garner that reaction from you?

verbaluce on March 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

You said it in order to elicit just that reaction, you hypocritical piece of crap.
Don’t act all butthurt about it.

There’s not a honest bone in any leftist.

Solaratov on March 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM

They never tire, do they?

avagreen on March 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM

People should have been made aware…and it they weren’t.

verbaluce on March 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Been made aware of what?…

Go on. Tell us.

rogerb on March 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Go ahead, verbaluce. Tell us the special something that makes it different than an ingrown toenail.

rogerb on March 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Man…the amount of times I’ve been told I’ve ‘fled’.

verbaluce on March 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Ha.

But the funniest part is the hope that not answering isn’t an even more obvious answer. Aren’t you a dad, verbaluce?

Anyway, go ahead and tell us the special ingredient that makes it different from an ingrown toenail.

rogerb on March 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

There have been several troublesome comments made here today.

There is one thing fore sure: Once you’ve compromised or rationalized the value of human life everything else is easy.

jmtham156 on March 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I have absolutely no problem with them doing this.

verbaloon on March 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Edited for reality.

Del Dolemonte on March 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I think the under reported fact is how far down the “British Empire” has fallen, what with this and now Sharia, they are no longer British.

jainphx on March 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM

They should be burning korans to heat their hospitals. They have certainly got enough of them just in London alone. They could burn some burkas too while they’re at it. First they woould have to grom something called a spine, of course. Our women Marines and Soldiers could ship over the hijabs from Afcrapistan that their generals make them wear and burn those too. The look on the face of David “Holy Qur’an” Petraeus alone – priceless.

VorDaj on March 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Perhaps the Nazi Horror Service should skip the incinerators and just start feeding all of that protein to local cows.

I suppose, though, that the cows might then contract mad human disease. You know it as “liberalism”.

clayj on March 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Being humans, we have been given the gift of morality. How we use this great gift is up to the individual. On a personal level, I truly believe that reverence is a trait we should cherish and hold in the highest regard when it comes to both life and death.

Anything we do and accept…. that cheapens life; will eventually diminish the goodness inside us that we are all born with.

HonestLib on March 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I did not pick a fight. I saw Nazi comparisons right off the bat and spoke up about how inappropriate they are.

MJBrutus on March 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Mass killing followed by mass cremation sort of invites the comparison. And the point was that Nazis weren’t even ruthlessly efficient enough to use Jewish corpses for heat.

ddrintn on March 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

It is Godwin by 2 lengths down the far turn …

MJBrutus on March 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Godwin’s law doesn’t make the case that reductio ad hitlerum is a bad thing. It just says its inevitable.

lorien1973 on March 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

You smell that? You smell that? Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning….The smell, that gasoline smell, it smells like victory babies.

lorien1973 on March 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM

How is this a “logical” conclusion?

To my understanding (in the U.S.) all “medical waste” is classified in some manner and disposal is regulated. Sharps, infectious, pathological, radioactive, pharmaceutical, etc., and each category typically has special handling requirements.
Using an incinerator for medical waste because it’s the best method of eliminating any infectious organisms that are present would seem to be appropriate and sensible. Using human body parts and/or aborted/miscarried fetuses for the dual purpose of providing heat is completely unorthodox and quite macabre.
What type of mind would ever deem such a practice to be acceptable?

lynncgb on March 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Angus and Verby are pukes and low-lifes. So gross.

CW on March 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM

What type of mind would ever deem such a practice to be acceptable?

lynncgb on March 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

The same kind of mind that would consider abortion to be an acceptable, moral practice in the first place.

gryphon202 on March 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I keep thinking that with everything so upside down over the past decade in every area of life, that nothing will surprise me.

Then something else appalling happens.

I guess next will be using the babies for food like in the movie Soylent Green.

Elisa on March 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I bet even the Nazis wouldn’t think of using dead babies for fuel. They might throw them in the garbage or gas children, but I don’t think I heard them using them for fuel.

Elisa on March 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM

There there, Mrs. Trumbel. Your abortion went swimmingly. What’s that? You say you’re feeling a little cold? Let me go see about turning up the heat for you.

gryphon202 on March 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM

BTU = British Baby Thermal Unit

gryphon202 on March 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Maybe this black professional jester, spends too much time on this site:

avagreen on March 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM

^^^^^ wrong thread. :)

avagreen on March 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

God have mercy.

May he have mercy on the souls of those children as well as on our own souls, for we are in desperate need of it.

Cheshire_Kat on March 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Wonder what they’ll use when they run out of dead babies. Live old people, I suppose. And then?

Rational Thought on March 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM

^^^^^ wrong thread. :)

avagreen on March 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Shameful . . . . . that never happens to me.
I mean … except for those several times it DID.

listens2glenn on March 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Rational Thought on March 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Truth being told, given the hideous practices buried inside Liverpool Care Pathway policy, and the high number of medical negligence reports recently, the Brits might want to push NHS to check exactly what is happening with the bodies of these patients when they die.

lineholder on March 24, 2014 at 8:46 PM

MJBrutus on March 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Mass killing followed by mass cremation sort of invites the comparison.

ddrintn on March 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

What’re saying ? … It’s “obvious”, or something ?

Perhaps “self-evident”?

ddrintn on March 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Technology wasn’t what it is today. Otherwise, I suspect they would have, what with all the ‘lampshades’ and similar items made from human skin, that were discovered at the end of the war.

listens2glenn on March 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Here is one reason for many UK abortions.

TX-eye on March 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Funny how Bruti disappeared and very appeared…

kingsjester on March 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

“verby”

kingsjester on March 24, 2014 at 9:40 PM

The question I have is this: is this a legal practice there so technically they’re doing nothing wrong, at least according to British law; or is this against the law and they got caught doing it?

It matters, because if they got caught doing something illegal then there is still hope for British morality. If it’s legal to do this, then I don’t know what to say. Except God help us.

ImmigrantsWife on March 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Socialists always end up gassing and burning the non-believers.

faraway on March 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Rational Thought on March 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM

unreclaimed dead bodies/corpses in the hospitals’ morgues and then, I don’t know, soylent green perhaps…the next logical step, no?…UK hospitals need to feed their patients too…gawd, I see these dystopian scenarios playing over here soon, too, obamacare and all…

jimver on March 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM

If you can convince people it’s OK to kill their own babies, you can convince them to do anything.

Flange on March 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Quote of the Year

faraway on March 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Three years ago I did a blog article speculating that if oil extracted from crushed aborted babies proved to be a suitable substitute for fossil fuel that women would become “oil producing factories.–raising babies for the sole purpose of being aborted for oil. Of course, the bigger the baby, the more oil it will produce. All abortions will therefore be late term–to be stabbed in the head with an ice pick as they exit the womb. “Welcome to our world, innocent children!!”

Oh how life recapitulates art–only a slight variation in theme–babies for heating oil. Our Marxist social planners have created a nightmarish world where even the creatures with concentrated acid for blood in ‘Aliens’ are Methodist missionaries by comparison.

MaiDee on March 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM

MaiDee on March 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Do you happen to know how we treat baby remains in our country ?
I have no idea but someone asked the question .
The original article was so depressing and gruesome it made me sick .
God help us .

Lucano on March 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Lucano-I don’t know for sure. Hospitals usually incinerate waste material. (How awful to consider destroyed babies as “waste material.”)But who knows–maybe they make deals with fertilizer companies.

MaiDee on March 24, 2014 at 11:43 PM

MaiDee on March 24, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Thanks . I think it’s a question that needs answering .

Lucano on March 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM

MaiDee on March 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM

A Modest Proposal for the 21st Century?

malclave on March 25, 2014 at 12:35 AM

gryphon202 on March 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM

No. I’m pro-choice and basically would put myself in Allah’s third camp.
I’m honest enough to state that an abortion is the destruction of human life, but still view the ending of that life as a sad and solemn outcome of an unwanted pregnancy. A miscarried or aborted fetus is certainly deserving of being treated with some semblance of dignity in death.
Anyone who has determined that a dead fetus or amputated body parts become the equivalent of heating fuel isn’t right in the head.

lynncgb on March 25, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I don’t know… Burial?

I know, I know… What am I thinking. We only bury people in cemeteries.

turfmann on March 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM

And you, of course, will pick up the cost. Right? I said reasonable alternative.

db on March 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM

MaiDee on March 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Do you happen to know how we treat baby remains in our country ?
I have no idea but someone asked the question .
The original article was so depressing and gruesome it made me sick .
God help us .

Lucano on March 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM

We donated $100 to a Catholic cemetery that had an “angels” plot after she was preserved for nearly a year in paraffin while we investigated cause. Then we had a burial with a clergyman and the family. We can visit anytime we like. I cannot remember what other options were offered specifically, but I do remember they were descriptive enough and none were euphemistic enough to be the abovementioned.

This was at a non-denominational, previously Methodist-commissioned major hospital in the Twin Cities.

13 weeks gestational age. Just POC.

winoceros on March 25, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Libs give new meaning to sustainable and renewable energy.

Kissmygrits on March 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM

No. I’m pro-choice and basically would put myself in Allah’s third camp.

lynncgb on March 25, 2014 at 1:08 AM

On that salient point, you and I disagree. That is essentially ceding that the mother’s wishes make the difference between fetal homicide and “justifiable homicide,” to use AP’s words. That will always bother me, no matter how many pro-choicers claim to find it “tragic.”

gryphon202 on March 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM

winoceros on March 25, 2014 at 1:19 AM
We had a still birth in our family and did the same . The saddest funeral I’ve attended .
In general I think that women who abort really don’t care . Prochoice libs care if a
lobster feels pain but don’t want to hear about a baby feeling pain .
I believe , if we are to preserve our humanity , we need to ask these questions .

Lucano on March 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM

(on today’s Hobby Lobby thread)
verbaluce on March 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Don’t you want to tell us the special ingredient that makes it different from an ingrown toenail, verbaluce?

Man…the amount of times I’ve been told I’ve ‘fled’.

verbaluce on March 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM

rogerb on March 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM

So, I went into work today (Addenbrooke’s Hospital) and asked around about this topic, and I think there are a few points that the original article doesn’t really mention.

First off, the women are given an informed choice about what will happen to the foetuses, and same as for stillbirths they can chose to have a funeral or cremation elsewhere rather than use the hospital. One thing which may have an effect is that I think they need to pay for it to be done elsewhere, whereas if they don’t want to pay the hospital has an obligation to take care of matters.

Secondly, they’re not just dumped in with the rubbish – Wednesdays are apparently set aside where they do cremations, and no rubbish is burnt then. It’s still in the same place though.

So, I think I’ve changed my mind about the situation – it’s not as if the hospital profits from it in any way (money, time, energy all at a loss), it’s just that if the mother won’t or can’t pay (I think the cost is ~£90 for the local crematorium, which is a lot for some people) then it’s left to the hospital to make the best of a bad situation.

Ramadahl on March 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

On that salient point, you and I disagree.

gryphon202 on March 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Yes, our beliefs are different on this, but I still play for the red team as I tack right on the majority of issues.

I don’t show up much on the abortion threads. When I do, the dog pile ensues and some comments can get pretty ugly. Don’t like to fight with those I consider to be my fellow evil right-wingers here at Hot Gas. :-)
Prefer to spend time spreading the message (as best I can) of conservatism elsewhere.

Thank you for just agreeing to disagree.

lynncgb on March 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Come on verbaluce, you can do this, plus I really need to close this tab.

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Tab closing.

Bmore on March 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I thought the British were supposed to be paragons of Civilization.

But what’s next? Raiding funeral homes? Strip mining graveyards?
“Assisted” euthanasia – hurry up and die, Grandma, we’re cold…

Cold being the operative word.

ReggieA on March 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM

21st century temples of Molech. The liberals think they are so enlightened, but don’t realize the world of darkness they live in. Humans never change.

ricelchew on March 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM

lynncgb on March 25, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Lynn, I enjoy your comments but there is no third camp. You either support abortion as a convenience or not.

Sorry.