Quotes of the Day

posted at 8:01 pm on March 23, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Thad Mercer, director of trading at a securities firm, came away a believer in Mr. Paul’s presidential prospects. “He was right on point,” Mr. Mercer said. “So many people dance around the question, never give you an answer. He’s a serious candidate in my eyes.”

And yet some Republicans say Mr. Paul needs to start acting more like one. They note that he does not have a political or fund-raising infrastructure to match his emerging national profile.

Mr. Paul has been working to change that, keeping a frenetic schedule more befitting a presidential candidate than a first-term senator. While his speeches before conservative audiences and on liberal campuses draw headlines, he also is trying to cultivate relationships with wealthy Republican contributors — vital in this pre-primary season.

He is slowly fusing the small-dollar donor base that contributed $41 million to the 2012 presidential campaign of his father, Ron, with the more traditional donors who raised millions for more mainstream candidates.

***

Here’s what I find interesting. The bad things that Johnson’s brother and daughter went through happened while drugs were illegal. In other words, they were endogenous to the drug war. So Rand Paul questions a policy that prevailed while those bad things happened and yet he is, presumably, regarded as insensitive for talking about them. What if Rand Paul had been a strong believer in the drug war and what if he had known about Johnson’s family tragedies? Would it then have been appropriate for him to have talked about his belief in the drug war? Maybe the idea is that you just shouldn’t talk about anything that could trigger any negative feelings in your host. If so, I get that. That’s a judgment call, but at least I get it.

But what so few people seem to understand is that virtually all their horror stories about drugs occurred during a time when drugs were illegal. That is not in itself a slam-dunk argument for legalization. Much more is needed to make the case against the drug war. But if all these horror stories occurred during the drug war, it is hard to see how people can so easily think that these horror stories are an argument for the drug war.

***

***

Is Rand Paul really “the most intriguing man in today’s Republican Party?”

That’s the assertion Washington Post columnist Ruth Marcus made the other day, going beyond that to declare the US Senator from Kentucky “for Democrats, perhaps the most frightening” potential presidential candidate in 2016.

That election is light years away in political time, of course. Sen. Paul could trip over something, like the evidence of sloppy plagiarism in his past speeches and writings he was forced to acknowledge last year.

But really, compared with the other Republicans mentioned these days – Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, etc. (plus such 2012 also-rans as Rick Perry and Rick Santorum, both sniffing the presidential winds again) – he’s positively sparkly.

***

“Here’s a guy who’s got Neera Tanden and Newt Gingrich in agreement that he’s interesting and provocative — and so I definitely think Rand Paul gets the ‘most interesting Republican on the scene’ prize for the past year,” said Page, Washington bureau chief for USA Today.

Page said Paul is “clearly a factor” going into the 2016 elections.

“And if anyone thought he was just Ron Paul Two — that’s clearly not the case,” she said, referring to his father, who ran for the GOP nomination in 2008 and also ran for president in 1988 as a libertarian candidate. “He’s carving out his own identity, it’s distinctive. Sometimes he takes on Republicans, sometimes he takes on Democrats,” she said.

The libertarian-leaning senator is fresh off a speech at the historically liberal-leaning University of California at Berkeley, where he talked about the National Security Agency’s surveillance program and the Republican Party’s need for change.

***

In the case of political emotions—at least the kind set off by Marcus’s column—there’s not a whole lot of harm that will be done. Rand Paul’s backers will surely be circulating the clipping to raise funds and enthusiasm for their man; Democrats will, just as surely, circulate it in alarm to push their own agenda. The impact on Paul’s fortunes will likely be a wash.

There’s nothing wrong with giving transitory feelings a role in in-the-moment decision-making. It’s what pushes us to do brave and creative and scary things when simple prudence would dictate otherwise, and it does motivate us to get politically involved. But sometimes, standing still and doing nothing is just as smart. Right-now feelings belong in the brain’s front seat; they just don’t belong behind the wheel.

***

“Rand Paul recently made a comment that he thinks the Republican Party, in order to get bigger and not alienate young people, would have to agree to disagree on social issues,” the reporter asked Cruz. “Do you agree with Senator Paul on that?”

Cruz chose his words carefully.

“Look. I am a conservative,” he asserted. “I am a fiscal conservative, I am a social conservative. I think we’ve seen that in order for the Republican Party to succeed we need to be a big tent. We need to embrace American values, American values that have been present in our country . . . for centuries.”

“There are some who say the Republican Party should no longer stand for life,” he continued. “I don’t agree with that. There are some who say the Republican Party should no longer stand for traditional marriage. I don’t agree with them either. I think we should continue to defend our shared values.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

I’m a skeptic. I look at things in reality. I am not susceptible to FUD. I see problems with all of them but it’s just TOO EARLY.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

He would still be a citizen, but you’re correct–there would be disagreement because he was born in Canada.

McCain, although born in Panama Canal Zone, did get a dispensation from Congress when he ran in 2008 stating that, for constitutional purposes, he would be eligible to run for POTUS, as I recall.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Oh, he sure as hell is a politician.
I look at him out of the box. I tend to look at him as if I am looking at Eddie Haskell on leave it to beaver. Is that far enough out of the box for you?

astonerii on March 23, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I’m with you. I like him, I’ll listen to him. But for now all I’m inclined to do is listen.

From another thread:

One of the many unfortunate side effects of elevating to the presidency a 40-something D.C. rookie who has never won reelection (i.e., in the midst of an uncompleted first legislative term) is the thought running through every politico of the same sort:

“Hey, it could be me.”

Lolo on March 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Cruz would be great but you know he will be beat up on relentlessly and there will be law suits before the Supreme Court because he wasn’t born in the US.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Yes, and the worst abuse will come from inside the GOP, by people claiming to be Conservatives, who exactly like the Democrats, only believe in winning, whose only moral or ethical principal is, “The End Justifies the Means”.

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Shut up fud pusher…
oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I beg your pardon?

Saying “Cruz is finished” is an absolute lie and is pushing disinformation and fear, trying to instill unfounded doubts.

Pointing out the fact that Rand Paul supports illegal alien amnesty is only drawing attention to the man’s own words and should be done!!

bluegill on March 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Whilst I was in Germany, Turks were guest workers, I knew many who seemed happy with their lot, working for germans and making good money, that aside, it did seem that they did much work that germans didn’t wish to do, but then again, I also saw germans doing shovel ready jobs also, so I don’t know.

As for the UK, when I was there growing up, we had people from all over the world that were under british rule, and so, for the most, everyone who came and gained citizenship, were proud to be brits, no matter their nationality, and they worked hard.

I see the trouble starting when the govt unwisely opened the doors to anyone within the EU, well, it went hand in hand, anyone who lived in the EU who had citizenship from any EU country could come and go as they wished, it worked for a while.

The biggest mistake was opening the UK up to muslims and to the polish, the polish especially, they dominate many small towns now, and same as with the muslims who come in, sit on their asses with their hands out for govt welfare and housing and money to live on and free healthcare…

Some see the errors now, but I think it’s too late to change things.
I hope it can be changed…

Thats the long and the short of it!!

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

To beat the rush, and ensure that everyone is on the same page, could someone define “eligibility”? That word got tossed around an awful lot in 2008 and 2012, but, for many of the people using it, I don’t think they knew what it meant.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Wasn’t McCain born in a military facility? It’s considered US soil.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Any candidate would be attacked. But I think Cruz is tough enough to fight back. He needs our support.

I am not going to be intimidated into selecting another candidate because I am too scared to go with the one I really want.

bluegill on March 23, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Are you suggesting that protecting Ukraine is in our best interests via, say, energy production, and a conservation of our resources of same?

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Well, we could start with the moral and very real obligation we owe in the protection of Ukraine by the Budapest Memorandum. But I’m guessing from the tone of your question that you’re more of a Paulbot who is in favor of isolationism no matter what is going on in the world. Trying to rationally discuss issues with Paulbots is about as stupid an undertaking as trying to empty the Atlantic with a teacup.

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM

With all due respect (and I genuinely mean that) everyone is subject to FUD, to Propaganda, to distortions and lies. The best we can do, is arm ourselves with as much truth and fact as we can find and to try our best not to be led by emotions and fears.

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Qualifications for the office of President of the United States of America

Note internal link to clarify ‘natural born citizen’.

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Thats the long and the short of it!!

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

You’re right. I just don’t know enough about a complicated issue. I suppose the Poles then brought in their relatives. And the EU probably caused a lot of the problem opening bordeers to just anybody.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

If I’m not mistaken, Scrumpy, don’t the EU member nations still retain the self-determination to determine what constitutes a “citizen” in their own country? Put another way, the EU charter didn’t strip the member countries from creating their own citizenship and naturalization requirements, did it?

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Good afternoon beautiful… <— Flashes Jackie best dashing smile…

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

crankyoldlady:0
================

Is Canadian-Born Ted Cruz Eligible to Run for President?
His mom was American, so that makes him a citizen by birth, he argues.

Updated: May 1, 2013 | 8:08 p.m.
May 1, 2013 | 3:27 p.m.
***********************

He was born in Calgary, Alberta, on Dec. 22, 1970, to a Cuban-born father, Rafael, and a Delaware-born mother, Eleanor. Both of his parents were in Canada working in the oil industry. They and Cruz moved to Texas, where his parents went to college, when the future senator was 4 years old. Federal law says that people born outside the U.S. to a parent or parents who are citizens and who have lived in the country are considered citizens at birth.

Some news organizations have taken a whack at answering this question as well. The Texas Tribune, for instance, said confidently in August 2012 that Cruz could be considered a natural-born citizen because his mother was a U.S. citizen. “Bottom line: Despite being born in Canada, Ted Cruz can be considered a natural-born U.S. citizen,” the Tribune wrote.

Harvard legal scholar Alan Dershowitz agreed. “Of course he’s eligible,” he told National Review. “He’s a natural-born, not a naturalized, citizen,” said Eugene Volokh, who’s a friend of Cruz.

Still, his Canadian birth means he’s also technically a Canadian citizen, according to Naomi Alboim, a professor who studies citizenship at Queen’s University in Ontario. But even if Cruz were to openly claim his Canadian citizenship along with his U.S. citizenship, that wouldn’t legally prevent him from becoming president. There’s no statutory bar to the presidency for dual citizens.
(More..)
=========

canopfor on May 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM

canopfor on March 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Calling all Wenches, Rude Buffoons and loons…

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM

BBQ Saucy Wench checking in.

Congrats to ALT for your new delegate duties, you will make us proud!

kringeesmom on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

bluegill on March 23, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I love Cruz too but the point is the critics would have a legal leg to stand on.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Good evening, Mr. Wilde, my dashing friend. :)

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

As far as I know, any child born on US soil overseas is an american citizen, but they have a short amount of time to get their child ‘registered’ at an Embassy, to ensure that their child can come back with them, think it’s like getting a SScard and birth certificate and passport…

Maybe someone who knows fer sure can correct me if I am wrong :)

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

humble, reasonable, and doesn’t really remove anything from anyone else’s share. I’d go for it, Wolly. Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:50 Pm

Dude in charge is an uber lib. My uncle.

How lib? Editor for Gannett press. Burlington Free Press.

That’s as prog as it gets.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

kringeesmom on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I hope that County doesn’t make us all wear matching get-ups. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Hi Jackie!

KCB on March 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Jimi Hendrix – Little Wing

kcewa on March 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

You mean the Cruz birther concern trolls?

Not in the least.

bluegill on March 23, 2014 at 9:01 PM

KCB on March 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Good evening, handsome. :)

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM

You jumped to a baseless conclusion by referring to me as a “Paulbot,” HN. I’m looking for elicidation and discussion, not name calling.

How are we beholden regarding the Budapest Memorandum? Were we one of the signers? If so, what is the extent of our obligations?

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM

You are correct, all it meant was free travel without a visa and or work permit, going back quite a few years, when I worked in Germany, I had to have a work permit, now they don’t… you just register to work and pay your taxes to the country you are in etc…

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Maybe someone who knows fer sure can correct me if I am wrong :)
Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Read the naturalization act of 1790. It defines a natural born citizen a child of an American citizen. That’s why most people look at birthers like they have 3 heads

Brock Robamney on March 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

HeyCanofer.

Hi ya. ;)

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Are Paul and Cruz twins? This blog was going fine until I saw and Cruz chose his word carefully. Who gives a crap. I resent this attempt by this website to try to link them. They are not the same people. I would be very angry at Paul if he really thought that Cruz is his friend. No one could be that stupid. So Hotair stop trying to rape every Rand Paul entry with a Ted Cruz quote.

coolrepublica on March 23, 2014 at 8:08 PM

“truth, despair and agony on me…..deep dark depression,
excessive misery(insert Hillbilly wail) if it weren’t for
bad luck, I’d have no luck at all(insert Hillbilly wail),

Truth despair and agony on me”…..

In other words, you need help…

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I hope that County doesn’t make us all wear matching get-ups. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Save me a tshirt.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Everyone grubbing for the money. I just want my Grand dads rifle.

Seems a humble request.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Humble, reasonable, and doesn’t really remove anything from anyone else’s share.

I’d go for it, Wolly.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM

HonestLib on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Good evening Jackie!!

Good strong points on the qotd this morning :)

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Yes he was, COL–but remember, too, that there were questions about whether or not zero was eligible because his dad was of African-Arabic origin and not a US citizen.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I’m hoping that Ed/AP will let me snap some pix for the blog.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I spelled it wrong. But it looks right after 8 beers.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Sounds like somebody was born under a bad sign. Chuckle!

HonestLib on March 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:04 P

His mother was born in the US.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

For future reference… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I spelled it wrong. But it looks right after 8 beers.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

ROTFLMAO… what doesn’t? (Well, besides anything a liberal or RINO writes)

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM

coolrepublica on March 23, 2014 at 8:14 PM

What did I miss? What happened to Cruz?

Mimzey on March 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Mimzey:

Last I heard,….Cruz was Whack-A-Doodled, crap,..I mean
Wacko-Birded,..by Capt’n Queeg of the USS Mc….Cains
Mutiny of 08′!!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Good evening, Spritely One. :) It’s very good to see you here. :)

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

This is really a non-issue. The legal case has already been de-bunked thanks to McCain’s failed run. Cruz’s people are working too in going the extra step and making sure the legal path is clear.

And, in the end, how much a case do the Dems have in claiming that Cruz is unfit to be President because he might have alliegance to Canada?

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

There is also the issue of his being an Indonesian student for his college, am I right on remembering that also?

I also remeber somthing about him being british possibly, cuz his father hated the brits, was in one of his books, and I think that question came up at one point also… and his name changes, just all around strange to me.

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM

HeyCanofer.

Hi ya. ;)

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

wolly4321: Ahoy Wolly,..*Waves *:)

canopfor on March 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Evening all.

I have a rare Sunday evening that’s quiet and calm. So, what’s new around here?

NativeTexan on March 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

True, but there were other considerations at the time zero was born that were brought to bear, such as the length of time his mother had been in country and stuff like that. Part of the debate at the time dealt with Stanley Ann Dunham’s time in HI and whether or not it counted toward her time in the US prior to zero’s birth.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM

NativeTexan on March 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Ratso still reeks of Dear Mrs OC’s best stinkum… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I’m hoping that Ed/AP will let me snap some pix for the blog.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Do you need his permission to take pictures. It would be nice if you could post real time about what’s going on.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

For future reference… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

There ya go!! Now that was quality TV,
with Buddy the Wonder dog!!

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Patrick Hernandez – Born To Be Alive (Mega Extended UltraTraxx Mix 1978)

canopfor on March 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Ok….so I missed that…..

LOL

NativeTexan on March 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:01 PM

The US was a signatory member. The memorandum included security assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine as well as those of Belarus and Kazakhstan. As a result Ukraine gave up the world’s third largest nuclear weapons stockpile between 1994 and 1996.

There is a moral obligation here. Like it or not. Or even if you are as stupid and uninformed as you claim.

I smell troll here.

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

love Cruz too but the point is the critics would have a legal leg to stand on.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

No they won’t.

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM

There is alot of doubt surrounding his eligibility, tho we will never know for sure…

O is spending millions to keep his secrets very secret…

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Yes, there is still that rumour, Scrumpy, as well as questions about his student aid/foreign student status at Occidental College.

Then again, zero’s also protected by Federal law that privatized student information back in the 1990s or thereabouts.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

My mother was the writer. I can’t put two words together.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I don’t know. He could be helping them plot an attack. :-)

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

When you join fond memories with a tangible link you can hold in your hands…..sounds like something worth more than all the gold in Fort Knox to me. HonestLib on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Him and my Dad came to my house with it. He hadn’t shot a firearm since the War. CMP rifle. NIB.

It was something. He fired two from his shoulder, tears in his eyes.

Then they turned steely, and he dropped it to his waist…

That tin can was quite dead. At 50 yards from the hip.

I saw horror that day, in his eyes. I’ll carry that with me forever.

Maybe it wasn’t horror. I just know he did his job.

Red arrow Brigade was no joke.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Newtie’s not a troll.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I smell troll here.

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

You may want to snap that back!

Can’t one ask a question if unsure?

I do not for one moment believe that Newtie and the Beauty is a troll, just asking… :)

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Shut up fud pusher…

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

oof.

+100

renalin on March 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM

MeanWhile, ….

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul unite to block Ukraine aid package over IMF changes
By Joel Gehrke | MARCH 22, 2014 AT 12:07 PM
*******************************************

canopfor on March 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM

she was just asking I mean, not me asking lol… sheesh!!

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Like it or not. Or even if you are as stupid and uninformed as you claim.

I smell troll here.

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

And you were doing so well, until the last three sentences, HN. And I have never claimed to be stupid or uninformed.

Was this the “treaty” (for lack of better phrasing) that caused Ukraine to disarm itself after it split from Russia during Gorbachev’s time?

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

My mother was the writer. I can’t put two words together.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I’ve seen you write whole sentences. Seriously I’m a terrible writer as anyone could tell by reading what I wrote for the historical association’s history book. And I do a blog for them. The handicap hasn’t stopped me from blundering along.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

the problem with the drug war is one that exists with many government programs (e.g. Head Start)and that is; does it achieve it’s stated goals? So after billions of dollars, are we winning the drug war? Is drug use down? And more importantly, could those billions of dollars and millions of man hours have been put to better use?

pgrossjr on March 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

*bzzzzt*

Oh, thanks for playing, but unfortunately, your answer is wrong! Johnny, tell her what lovely parting gifts we have for her…

Midas on March 23, 2014 at 9:19 PM

canopfor on March 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Saved that for later, it’s long!! :)

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I saw horror that day, in his eyes. I’ll carry that with me forever.

Maybe it wasn’t horror. I just know he did his job.

Red arrow Brigade was no joke.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

He was probably remembering back. We have no idea what it was like.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM

For current XP users, Microsoft is dealing:-)

bluefox on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

my mother was the writer. I can’t put two words together. annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

That was ten words, all in a row.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Good evening, Newtie. :) Good to see you.

lol! I leave the thread for a minute….look what happened.

Of course you’re not a troll. What an absurd suggestion.

Ask any question you like when you like, Newtie. :)

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

pgrossjr on March 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Simply put, NO NO and YES!!! :)

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM

*bzzzzt*

Midas on March 23, 2014 at 9:19 PM

That’s ok. I don’t really need a years supply of car wax.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Thank you! I haven’t really participated much in debates around here, but I learned a long time ago that the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask. ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Sounds like somebody was born under a bad sign. Chuckle!

HonestLib on March 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Here ya go, some Cream

ToddPA on March 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Midas on March 23, 2014 at 9:19 PM

OI! play nice eh. Quit picking on COL… AIT! :)

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM

bluefox on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Had no idea XP was still supported. I went from XP to Seven several years ago. XP was a good OS…

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM

For current XP users, Microsoft is dealing:-)

bluefox on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Having touble unloading Windows 8 are they?

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Just ask hon, I do, and I will also bring guns… ;D

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Yes, it was a treaty in which neither the US nor Europe actually guaranteed that they would take any action at all. The closest it comes is solely and exclusively to seek United Nations Security council action only if nuclear weapons are used against Ukraine.

In other words, it was a bunch of empty promises, Ukraine knew this, which is why they haven’t brought it up. Ukraine accepted it, because it came with Billions of dollars in foreign aid from all three of the Nations that signed it, The Russian Federation, the US and Britain.

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 9:25 PM

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM

It’s not, hence the so called rebate giveaway thingy of 100 off…

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM

XP was the best. I have an old computer in the shed with that on it.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Having touble unloading Windows 8 are they?

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I am hoping 7 will be supported for some time…

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Do you think it has anything to do with the way I phrase my question? Or is somebody taking to heart a view I posted about what I thought of Ron Paul’s foreign policy view?

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

It was something. He fired two from his shoulder, tears in his eyes.

Then they turned steely, and he dropped it to his waist…

That tin can was quite dead. At 50 yards from the hip.

I saw horror that day, in his eyes. I’ll carry that with me forever.

Maybe it wasn’t horror. I just know he did his job.

Red arrow Brigade was no joke.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Thanks for sharing that.

HonestLib on March 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM

BBL gotta check on somthing :)

Be good and play nice ait! lol

Scrumpy on March 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Is Hagfish still circling the drain?

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I am hoping 7 will be supported for some time…

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Probably Windows 9 will come out soon.

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Looks like Russia is reneging on the deal.

Thank you, Oscar!

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

was probably remembering back. We have no idea what it was like. crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Yea, I think so.

Went to breakfast with him once, and he talked about it.(rare)

He said it reminded him of hunting squirrels.

Him and my Grandmom eloped a week before he shipped out.

They were married 56 years. Did everything together.

They were inseperatable.

wolly4321 on March 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Having touble unloading Windows 8 are they?

crankyoldlady on March 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Microsoft will determine what we like missy. :) Why is “new and improved”, so often not?

arnold ziffel on March 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

And I have never claimed to be stupid or uninformed.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

You better not as being stupid or uninformed is MY job here!

HonestLib on March 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I have been pretty satisfied with Windows 7 thus far…

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM

thatsafactjack on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

FUD and the politics of personal destruction are no longer the exclusive property of Democrats, many on the right have adopted them now as well. Destroy all of the other candidates at any cost so that only your own preferred candidate is left standing.

oscarwilde on March 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM